Fox Renews Glee, New Girl and Raising Hope -- Is Fringe Next?

Fox is jumping on the early renewal bandwagon, ordering a fourth season of Glee, a second season of New Girl and a third season of Raising Hope.

“Over the past season, New Girl has become the hottest new appointment series for young adults; Raising Hope has established itself as one of the smartest and most unique offbeat comedies on television; and Glee has continued its success as a genre-defying, global cultural phenomenon,” said Fox president Kevin Reilly. “All three of these comedies add a fresh and distinctive flavor to our Tuesday nights, and I’m really happy to bring them back to our air next season.”

Still no word on the fate of bubble series Fringe, Touch, Alcatraz, Breaking In and The Finder (which just saw its audience halved by the move to Fridays).

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the pickups.

1. KYle says:

Very surprised about Raising Hope

• Kara Thrace says:

I’m not. I was a little bit worried but Raising Hope has really kind of taken off from where it was at this time last year. It’s a bit more on the radar now. I’m glad Raising Hope will be around for another year!

• W says:

it’s finally getting more buzz it deserve from the blogosphere. it’s Fox best comedy, IMO, an edgier cross between Parks & Rec and Modern Family.

• ggny says:

not really considering it has won that timeslot for Fox atleast a handful of times this year

2. GC says:

HELL YES!!! Glee and New Girl were pretty obvious but I was worried about Raising Hope for a while there so woo!!! Great news!!!

3. peekie says:

What does this mean for fringe

• Raíssa says:

my thoughts exactly… =(

• rowan77 says:

These shows were always going to get a pick-up, their renewals mean nothing wither way for Fringe. It’s the other on-the-bubble shows that make the difference. I’d be more worried about The Finder (which is dreadful), Alcatraz and Awake. Touch will get the pick-up. but the other three hour-long shows are really the ones in competition with each Fringe.

• Michael says:

Fringe is going to be renewed, probably for an abbreviated final season. Fox had no reason to renew it after last season(or even the season before) considering the ratings. They’ve obviously committed to it and will allow the show to end properly. I don’t think that Fringe fans have anything to worry about.

• Linda Everhart says:

I don’t know what I will do if they cancel Fringe. In my humble opinion, it is the Very Best show on T.V. Please, oh Please do not cancel this program.

4. Lorie says:

Yay for New Girl and Raising Hope!

5. bob says:

What on earth is an “appointment series”.. do they mean “Apartment series” instead?

• Anon says:

Just another word for “must-see-television” ever week. For me, New Girl, Vampire Diaries, Secret Circle, Revenge, and Once Upon A Time are all must see television for me.

• TV Gord says:

“Appointment” television is a phrase for shows that you have to be in front of the TV to watch. It’s too hot to record it for later; it must be watched as it airs.

• Daniel Stark says:

Appointment series is a show that you watch live because everyone talks about it the next day. In other words, you make an “appointment” to watch it rather than catch up on DVR.

• Alienate says:

I do not watch ANY show live. Half hour shows I start 10 minutes in.
        Hour shows 20 minutes in, and 2 hour shows 30 minutes in. Who watches commercials anymore?

• grannygeek says:

I can’t endure watching live TV anymore. In the years since I got my first dvr, commercials have become longer, lamer and ever more infuriating.

• Holly says:

Appointment series = Make an appointment to watch it, i.e. never miss it, always see if it’s on, etc.

• yankeesrj12 says:

It means you don’t just stumble upon it, you make sure you watch each and every week. Thus, he is saying the viewers are dedicated towards each series.

• Lucia says:

Appointment meaning that young people ensure that they see the show. It is like making an appointment.

• Mark says:

it means people SCHEDULE their lives around making sure they see it. whether live, or on Tivo…. get it? “it’s appointment tv, we can’t miss it!”

• dude says:

I’m sure one reply would have been enough. He doesn’t need the same response 8 times.

6. TB says:

About time that Fox renews Glee! I’m also excited that Raising Hope got a renewal, I was worried that it might not happen this year…

7. Noel says:

Urgh…I mean good for these shows…but did anyone else think Fringe when masked scheduler tweeted that….sigh lol.

8. Jake says:

Yay! Not suprised about New Girl and Glee though! those were expected renewals. Super happy about Raising Hope, i thought its recent ratings were going to possiblly kill the show but guess not! well deserved renewals! Now renew Fringe for a final season and all the shows on Fox i watch will be renewed! =D

9. No news about Fringe. Uh oh.

10. YAY for Glee and New Girl!!

11. jrolsan says:

“Appointment series” are TV shows that people will specifically plan to watch each and every week and will work schedules *around* the show.

12. TV Gord says:

New Girl is no surprise (but a pleasant non-surprise), but I’m really happy about Raising Hope! Not only is it very funny and clever, it has done something rare in television: it has put its leading romantic couple together…and it WORKS!

I’m hopeful that if Fox sees the value in Raising Hope, they will realize the benefit of getting Fringe to those magic syndication numbers! Another season would do that! I almost feel that it’s too much to ask for, but I’m asking! I’m asking! :-]

• Jake says:

Well actually Fringe is only one episode shy from the prefered 88 episode syndication at the end of its fourth season so technically its already hit syndication numbers, but if it did get a final 13 episode season, it will hit the 100 episode mark which is better.

• TV Gord says:

I’ve never heard that 88 was the magic number for syndication. Why would that number be the one? Years ago, they’d say 65 was that magic number, because that meant stripping the show for 13 weeks, and now all I read is that 100 is the magic number. 88 doesn’t make any sense to me…

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Though it is the minimum, 88 still denotes that the series ran for four seasons and thus had/has some legs. 100 is the ideal, however, because it buys the outlet a few more weeks before it has to loop back to Ep 1.

13. dude says:

Happy about Glee and New Girl!

14. Angel says:

Gross, Glee ew. New Gris all the way

15. steve says:

This means nothing for Fringe. These are all comedies.

16. Wouter says:

Ugh… Happy about Glee and Raising Hope but i hate New Girl. Zooey Deschanel is so annoying…

• yep says:

I understand what you’re saying. Mentioned before that I just don’t get the interest for The New Girl at all. It is just silly and stupid. Now Raising Hope is about real people in strange outlandish situations that are hilarious. I love Cloris Leachman.

• Dan says:

I admit New Girl seems goofy at first….but u have to give it a chance. It grows on u. It makes me laugh out loud. I’m happy about all these shows…and I hope fringe fans get their final season…I have slacked a bit on watching it but would love to catch up and to know the ending will be a satisfying one. The fact that a network can even consider cancelling a show without closure these days (knowing what they know about dvd sales) is crazy!

• Roger G (RoG) says:

Yeah, I agree about the positive and encouraging comments regarding Fringe too, like many here! Psyched that it’s getting a last season! I hope it actually does get expanded closer to 20-22 eps, but if 13 really ends up being the run of final season #5 than I hope they can bring it to a climactic and very satisfying end. With less episodes the story will have to be pretty tightly tailored to the season and in being cohesive to the series in general.

Thinking ahead to BD/DVD releases and how I find a show is often much more appealing (personally to me) lasting 5-8 or so seasons with a great “conclusion” or ‘wrap up” of sorts. If however, they choose to possibly continue the show somehow, from the established “ending”, as they have for others through comics/graphic novels, that could be cool too! I think there was talk of possibly continuing Fringe through those means, and although for me most shows I preferred on TV, with comics leading to collections (graphic novels), they can really let their imagination fly without all the constraints of working in film and tv (as in: budget, weather, set up and traveling, set building, willingness and availability of actors, locations, etc.) I think it would be awesome though if they do continue the show after the TV origins that, afterwards they can get the original actors and awesome new ones (for new characters) to voice them for motion comics. :-) Unfortunately I think that happens rarely or at all, but it would be great fan service and would probably be more profitable in the end. There’s one I really would have liked to buy or receive as a gift. Here’s looking at you BtVS. ;-)

17. Josh says:

Yay for Glee

18. N. says:

Yes, for “New Girl” and “Raising Hope”. :)

19. Ashley says:

Deep sigh of relief for New Girl. I would have missed that show like crazy. What on earth would a girl be expected to do without weekly doses of Schmidt?

20. Spencer says:

Yay Raising Hope!!!!!!!!! So happy. Now I just hope they renew Alcatraz and I’ll be good.

21. leah says:

excited about raising hope!! i’m hoping for a jj abrams friday with alcatraz and fringe

22. Gleek says:

So happy Glee got renewed. I know it’s probably a long shot but if they renew The Finder I’ll be thrilled. It’s such a great show that’s very underrated.

23. tvaddict says:

Not too surprised about this but still happy since I watch all 3 shows. Besides Fringe, they are the only shows I watch on Fox

24. rob60990 says:

Fringe is dead.

25. Gerald says:

I really enjoy Finder. Sad it isn’t get the audience it deserves on Friday. I really care about these characters.

26. josh says:

GLEE IS NOT A COMEDY… it is a variety show at best.

• Emily says:

Glee, while entertaining at times, does not make me laugh. Ever.

• josh says:

totally agree, I tried a few eps here and there during the first season and was bored and saw the last ep before hiatus… entertaining, yes, funny not a single laugh.. i just wish it would be grouped more appropriately, no way should it be nominated for emmy’s where shows like Community belong.

• Ana says:

season 4 will probably be Glee’s last season. The show just manages to get worse at every episode.

• yep says:

You s.ay the same thing on every article about Glee. I understand you don’t like Glee your right to an opinon but I love Glee and enjoy all three seasons with its ups and downs. None of us know how season 4 will turn out. I didn’t know you were a psychic.

27. Polly says:

Schmidt happens!
    So happy for New Girl!
    Now fox, focus: next one has to be FRINGE!

28. Boiler says:

Renew Finder and pair it with Bones. Move Idol and X Factor to fridays where they will win the night!! Like these renewals though

• Jason says:

Why would FOX move Idol and X-Factor to Fridays? Idol already wins Tuesdays, it doesn’t need to be moved to Friday to win its night.

• Boiler says:

Well based on what they did with Finder they must think a show could do well there or are just dumb. Those 2 would win whatever night they are on and may give a show like the Finder a chance

• darcywilson says:

This is a great idea! Both shows would still do great on Fridays, it would mean less competition for other networks that could use the slots and it opens up more successful nights of programming to shows doing borderline number. YOU ARE A GENIUS!

29. casioiscasio says:

I am going to set myself on fire if fringe gets canned!

30. JBS says:

For New Girl & Raising Hope, all I can say is YAY!!! They are both great to watch
    As for Glee, well, 2 good Tuesday shows are renewed at least, so it ain’t that bad =)

31. Eliza says:

Yay soooo happy about Raising Hope!! Love that show!

I watch New Girl for Schmidt & Nick.
    So, I’m glad that they will be back too.

32. Line says:

I really really hope they’ll give Breaking In a chance, last week’s episode got much better than those before! If there just weren’t that many people who don’t like Veronica…she is actually pretty funny and Megan Mullally is awesome!!

33. Cathy says:

Glee & New Girl :)

34. BonesFringeFan says:

Please Fox, please.
    You renewed Bones, which is greaaat, but now please do the same for Fringe, and don’t leave the fans hanging like this… I don’t know how much more worry I can take.

35. Chance says:

I ADORE Raising Hope. Martha Plimpton needs more Emmy nominations for her role.

36. Sookaholic says:

Fringe…Fringe….Fringe! Renew my Fringe!

37. Andrew says:

FRINGE AND ALCATRAZ!!! That is all I need.

38. I really enjoy Raising Hope. I used to just watch New Girl and skip Raising Hope until I realized I don’t watch anything after New Girl so I started watching Raising Hope and was surprised by how clever and funny it is. Right up there with Community and Parks & Rec as one of the smartest (for a bunch of nitwits) comdies on right now. New Girl is good but I don’t think it ranks with the aforementioned shows.

39. Also… PLEASE BRING BACK FRINGE!

40. jenna says:

fingers crossed for fringe!!

41. Lauren says:

Are these full season renewals?

42. Please Fringe renewal!!!!

43. LInda says:

I don’t care what they renew as long as they leave room for Julian Mcmahon’s new pilot to become a show on the schedule next fall.

44. ollie says:

so glad hope is coming back its so absurd and quriky i love it

45. John Berggren says:

Come on renew Fringe already!

46. kirads09 says:

Its probably still too soon to know about the future of Touch, huh? I hope it gets a chance to continue. Beautiful, complex, sophisticated storytelling and fantastic acting. I really enjoy it and hope audiences are grasping what they are trying to convey.

47. JohnDoe says:

I have a feeling Alcatraz may have to be sacrificed to make room for Fringe…

48. bad kevin says:

Renew Fringe for one final season. :-)

49. Jules says:

Happy for Raising Hope…don’t care about the two other..
    Plus, i’m more interested about Fringe’s Faith anyway! 😏

50. DN says:

“Raising Hope” gives us a loving Homer Simpson. Yep, check it out if you haven’t seen the show already. Burt Hope is a Homer Simpson who loves his family!