Fox Renews Glee, New Girl and Raising Hope — Is Fringe Next?

Get More: Renewals

Fox is jumping on the early renewal bandwagon, ordering a fourth season of Glee, a second season of New Girl and a third season of Raising Hope.

“Over the past season, New Girl has become the hottest new appointment series for young adults; Raising Hope has established itself as one of the smartest and most unique offbeat comedies on television; and Glee has continued its success as a genre-defying, global cultural phenomenon,” said Fox president Kevin Reilly. “All three of these comedies add a fresh and distinctive flavor to our Tuesday nights, and I’m really happy to bring them back to our air next season.”

Still no word on the fate of bubble series Fringe, Touch, Alcatraz, Breaking In and The Finder (which just saw its audience halved by the move to Fridays).

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the pickups.

Comments (110)

• Very surprised about Raising Hope

Comment by KYle – April 9, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not. I was a little bit worried but Raising Hope has really kind of taken off from where it was at this time last year. It’s a bit more on the radar now. I’m glad Raising Hope will be around for another year!

Comment by Kara Thrace – April 9, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it’s finally getting more buzz it deserve from the blogosphere. it’s Fox best comedy, IMO, an edgier cross between Parks & Rec and Modern Family.

Comment by W – April 9, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not really considering it has won that timeslot for Fox atleast a handful of times this year

Comment by ggny – April 9, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HELL YES!!! Glee and New Girl were pretty obvious but I was worried about Raising Hope for a while there so woo!!! Great news!!!

Comment by GC – April 9, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What does this mean for fringe

Comment by peekie – April 9, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my thoughts exactly… =(

Comment by Raíssa – April 9, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • These shows were always going to get a pick-up, their renewals mean nothing wither way for Fringe. It’s the other on-the-bubble shows that make the difference. I’d be more worried about The Finder (which is dreadful), Alcatraz and Awake. Touch will get the pick-up. but the other three hour-long shows are really the ones in competition with each Fringe.

Comment by rowan77 – April 9, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Awake is on NBC, not Fox.

Comment by Mike – April 9, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I stand corrected :)

Comment by rowan77 – April 20, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Finder is funnier, more believable and smarter than Alcatraz and Touch put together. I really hope they give it a chance to find it’s audience and stop yanking it around.

Comment by Whimsical – April 9, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Finder is an excellent show but FOX continually farts around with it. How can it find an audience with FOX’s inability to leave it alone?

Comment by Trapper67 – April 9, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fringe is going to be renewed, probably for an abbreviated final season. Fox had no reason to renew it after last season(or even the season before) considering the ratings. They’ve obviously committed to it and will allow the show to end properly. I don’t think that Fringe fans have anything to worry about.

Comment by Michael – April 9, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know what I will do if they cancel Fringe. In my humble opinion, it is the Very Best show on T.V. Please, oh Please do not cancel this program.

Comment by Linda Everhart – April 9, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for New Girl and Raising Hope!

Comment by Lorie – April 9, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What on earth is an “appointment series”.. do they mean “Apartment series” instead?

Comment by bob – April 9, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just another word for “must-see-television” ever week. For me, New Girl, Vampire Diaries, Secret Circle, Revenge, and Once Upon A Time are all must see television for me.

Comment by Anon – April 9, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • These are all top shows for me too!!! :)

Comment by Lindsey – April 9, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Appointment” television is a phrase for shows that you have to be in front of the TV to watch. It’s too hot to record it for later; it must be watched as it airs.

Comment by TV Gord – April 9, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Appointment series is a show that you watch live because everyone talks about it the next day. In other words, you make an “appointment” to watch it rather than catch up on DVR.

Comment by Daniel Stark – April 9, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I do not watch ANY show live. Half hour shows I start 10 minutes in.
        Hour shows 20 minutes in, and 2 hour shows 30 minutes in. Who watches commercials anymore?

Comment by Alienate – April 9, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I can’t endure watching live TV anymore. In the years since I got my first dvr, commercials have become longer, lamer and ever more infuriating.

Comment by grannygeek – April 10, 2012 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Appointment series = Make an appointment to watch it, i.e. never miss it, always see if it’s on, etc.

Comment by Holly – April 9, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It means you don’t just stumble upon it, you make sure you watch each and every week. Thus, he is saying the viewers are dedicated towards each series.

Comment by yankeesrj12 – April 9, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Appointment meaning that young people ensure that they see the show. It is like making an appointment.

Comment by Lucia – April 9, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it means people SCHEDULE their lives around making sure they see it. whether live, or on Tivo…. get it? “it’s appointment tv, we can’t miss it!”

Comment by Mark – April 9, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure one reply would have been enough. He doesn’t need the same response 8 times.

Comment by dude – April 9, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They all came within a span of 5 minutes. I’m sure most didn’t know it was already answered. It was pretty impressive.

Comment by jrolsan – April 9, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m just shocked he had never heard the term “appointment TV’ before.

Comment by Abe Froma – April 9, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • About time that Fox renews Glee! I’m also excited that Raising Hope got a renewal, I was worried that it might not happen this year…

Comment by TB – April 9, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Urgh…I mean good for these shows…but did anyone else think Fringe when masked scheduler tweeted that….sigh lol.

Comment by Noel – April 9, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Not suprised about New Girl and Glee though! those were expected renewals. Super happy about Raising Hope, i thought its recent ratings were going to possiblly kill the show but guess not! well deserved renewals! Now renew Fringe for a final season and all the shows on Fox i watch will be renewed! =D

Comment by Jake – April 9, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No news about Fringe. Uh oh.

Comment by Alex Antonetz – April 9, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY for Glee and New Girl!!

Comment by Carrie Blazina – April 9, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Appointment series” are TV shows that people will specifically plan to watch each and every week and will work schedules *around* the show.

Comment by jrolsan – April 9, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Girl is no surprise (but a pleasant non-surprise), but I’m really happy about Raising Hope! Not only is it very funny and clever, it has done something rare in television: it has put its leading romantic couple together…and it WORKS!

I’m hopeful that if Fox sees the value in Raising Hope, they will realize the benefit of getting Fringe to those magic syndication numbers! Another season would do that! I almost feel that it’s too much to ask for, but I’m asking! I’m asking! :-]

Comment by TV Gord – April 9, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well actually Fringe is only one episode shy from the prefered 88 episode syndication at the end of its fourth season so technically its already hit syndication numbers, but if it did get a final 13 episode season, it will hit the 100 episode mark which is better.

Comment by Jake – April 9, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve never heard that 88 was the magic number for syndication. Why would that number be the one? Years ago, they’d say 65 was that magic number, because that meant stripping the show for 13 weeks, and now all I read is that 100 is the magic number. 88 doesn’t make any sense to me…

Comment by TV Gord – April 9, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Though it is the minimum, 88 still denotes that the series ran for four seasons and thus had/has some legs. 100 is the ideal, however, because it buys the outlet a few more weeks before it has to loop back to Ep 1.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 9, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Thanks, Matt! I appreciate the explanation!

Comment by TV Gord – April 9, 2012 03:32 PM PDT
  • Happy about Glee and New Girl!

Comment by dude – April 9, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gross, Glee ew. New Gris all the way

Comment by Angel – April 9, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This means nothing for Fringe. These are all comedies.

Comment by steve – April 9, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh… Happy about Glee and Raising Hope but i hate New Girl. Zooey Deschanel is so annoying…

Comment by Wouter – April 9, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I understand what you’re saying. Mentioned before that I just don’t get the interest for The New Girl at all. It is just silly and stupid. Now Raising Hope is about real people in strange outlandish situations that are hilarious. I love Cloris Leachman.

Comment by yep – April 9, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I admit New Girl seems goofy at first….but u have to give it a chance. It grows on u. It makes me laugh out loud. I’m happy about all these shows…and I hope fringe fans get their final season…I have slacked a bit on watching it but would love to catch up and to know the ending will be a satisfying one. The fact that a network can even consider cancelling a show without closure these days (knowing what they know about dvd sales) is crazy!

Comment by Dan – April 9, 2012 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, I agree about the positive and encouraging comments regarding Fringe too, like many here! Psyched that it’s getting a last season! I hope it actually does get expanded closer to 20-22 eps, but if 13 really ends up being the run of final season #5 than I hope they can bring it to a climactic and very satisfying end. With less episodes the story will have to be pretty tightly tailored to the season and in being cohesive to the series in general.

Thinking ahead to BD/DVD releases and how I find a show is often much more appealing (personally to me) lasting 5-8 or so seasons with a great “conclusion” or ‘wrap up” of sorts. If however, they choose to possibly continue the show somehow, from the established “ending”, as they have for others through comics/graphic novels, that could be cool too! I think there was talk of possibly continuing Fringe through those means, and although for me most shows I preferred on TV, with comics leading to collections (graphic novels), they can really let their imagination fly without all the constraints of working in film and tv (as in: budget, weather, set up and traveling, set building, willingness and availability of actors, locations, etc.) I think it would be awesome though if they do continue the show after the TV origins that, afterwards they can get the original actors and awesome new ones (for new characters) to voice them for motion comics. :-) Unfortunately I think that happens rarely or at all, but it would be great fan service and would probably be more profitable in the end. There’s one I really would have liked to buy or receive as a gift. Here’s looking at you BtVS. ;-)

Comment by Roger G (RoG) – May 2, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Glee

Comment by Josh – April 9, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, for “New Girl” and “Raising Hope”. :)

Comment by N. – April 9, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deep sigh of relief for New Girl. I would have missed that show like crazy. What on earth would a girl be expected to do without weekly doses of Schmidt?

Comment by Ashley – April 9, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Watch a good show.

Comment by darcywilson – April 10, 2012 01:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Raising Hope!!!!!!!!! So happy. Now I just hope they renew Alcatraz and I’ll be good.

Comment by Spencer – April 9, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • excited about raising hope!! i’m hoping for a jj abrams friday with alcatraz and fringe

Comment by leah – April 9, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy Glee got renewed. I know it’s probably a long shot but if they renew The Finder I’ll be thrilled. It’s such a great show that’s very underrated.

Comment by Gleek – April 9, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not too surprised about this but still happy since I watch all 3 shows. Besides Fringe, they are the only shows I watch on Fox

Comment by tvaddict – April 9, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is dead.

Comment by rob60990 – April 9, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aren’t you the same guy who comments on TVBYTHENUMERS with the exact same anti-Fringe garbage? Shoo!

Comment by davey – April 9, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, this guy is quite the troll.

Comment by SpyTV – April 9, 2012 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoy Finder. Sad it isn’t get the audience it deserves on Friday. I really care about these characters.

Comment by Gerald – April 9, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GLEE IS NOT A COMEDY… it is a variety show at best.

Comment by josh – April 9, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee, while entertaining at times, does not make me laugh. Ever.

Comment by Emily – April 9, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • totally agree, I tried a few eps here and there during the first season and was bored and saw the last ep before hiatus… entertaining, yes, funny not a single laugh.. i just wish it would be grouped more appropriately, no way should it be nominated for emmy’s where shows like Community belong.

Comment by josh – April 9, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • season 4 will probably be Glee’s last season. The show just manages to get worse at every episode.

Comment by Ana – April 9, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You s.ay the same thing on every article about Glee. I understand you don’t like Glee your right to an opinon but I love Glee and enjoy all three seasons with its ups and downs. None of us know how season 4 will turn out. I didn’t know you were a psychic.

Comment by yep – April 9, 2012 06:32 PM PDT
  • Schmidt happens!
    So happy for New Girl!
    Now fox, focus: next one has to be FRINGE!

Comment by Polly – April 9, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Renew Finder and pair it with Bones. Move Idol and X Factor to fridays where they will win the night!! Like these renewals though

Comment by Boiler – April 9, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why would FOX move Idol and X-Factor to Fridays? Idol already wins Tuesdays, it doesn’t need to be moved to Friday to win its night.

Comment by Jason – April 9, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well based on what they did with Finder they must think a show could do well there or are just dumb. Those 2 would win whatever night they are on and may give a show like the Finder a chance

Comment by Boiler – April 9, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is a great idea! Both shows would still do great on Fridays, it would mean less competition for other networks that could use the slots and it opens up more successful nights of programming to shows doing borderline number. YOU ARE A GENIUS!

Comment by darcywilson – April 10, 2012 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to set myself on fire if fringe gets canned!

Comment by casioiscasio – April 9, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For New Girl & Raising Hope, all I can say is YAY!!! They are both great to watch
    As for Glee, well, 2 good Tuesday shows are renewed at least, so it ain’t that bad =)

Comment by JBS – April 9, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay soooo happy about Raising Hope!! Love that show!

I watch New Girl for Schmidt & Nick.
    So, I’m glad that they will be back too.

Comment by Eliza – April 9, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really really hope they’ll give Breaking In a chance, last week’s episode got much better than those before! If there just weren’t that many people who don’t like Veronica…she is actually pretty funny and Megan Mullally is awesome!!

Comment by Line – April 9, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee & New Girl :)

Comment by Cathy – April 9, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please Fox, please.
    You renewed Bones, which is greaaat, but now please do the same for Fringe, and don’t leave the fans hanging like this… I don’t know how much more worry I can take.

Comment by BonesFringeFan – April 9, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I ADORE Raising Hope. Martha Plimpton needs more Emmy nominations for her role.

Comment by Chance – April 9, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe…Fringe….Fringe! Renew my Fringe!

Comment by Sookaholic – April 9, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE AND ALCATRAZ!!! That is all I need.

Comment by Andrew – April 9, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoy Raising Hope. I used to just watch New Girl and skip Raising Hope until I realized I don’t watch anything after New Girl so I started watching Raising Hope and was surprised by how clever and funny it is. Right up there with Community and Parks & Rec as one of the smartest (for a bunch of nitwits) comdies on right now. New Girl is good but I don’t think it ranks with the aforementioned shows.

Comment by Russell Smith – April 9, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also… PLEASE BRING BACK FRINGE!

Comment by Russell Smith – April 9, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • fingers crossed for fringe!!

Comment by jenna – April 9, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are these full season renewals?

Comment by Lauren – April 9, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please Fringe renewal!!!!

Comment by Elodie (@ripleyaeryn_) – April 9, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care what they renew as long as they leave room for Julian Mcmahon’s new pilot to become a show on the schedule next fall.

Comment by LInda – April 9, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so glad hope is coming back its so absurd and quriky i love it

Comment by ollie – April 9, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on renew Fringe already!

Comment by John Berggren – April 9, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its probably still too soon to know about the future of Touch, huh? I hope it gets a chance to continue. Beautiful, complex, sophisticated storytelling and fantastic acting. I really enjoy it and hope audiences are grasping what they are trying to convey.

Comment by kirads09 – April 9, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a feeling Alcatraz may have to be sacrificed to make room for Fringe…

Comment by JohnDoe – April 9, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …..so can Fringe have Alcatraz’s place on the schedule? Thoughts?

Comment by forrest – April 9, 2012 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Renew Fringe for one final season. :-)

Comment by bad kevin – April 9, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for Raising Hope…don’t care about the two other..
    Plus, i’m more interested about Fringe’s Faith anyway! 😏

Comment by Jules – April 9, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Raising Hope” gives us a loving Homer Simpson. Yep, check it out if you haven’t seen the show already. Burt Hope is a Homer Simpson who loves his family!

Comment by DN – April 9, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post