Sofia Vergara Hosts SNL: Best and Worst Skits

Get More: Recaps, Uncategorized

sofia vergara snlLike a football team trying to integrate a golfer into its game plan, Saturday Night Live struggled mightily to utilize Modern Family star Sofia Vergara’s broad and boisterous brand of comedy this week. Things started out promisingly with a short but amusing opening monologue and Vergara’s not-quite-accurate but still funny Fran Drescher impression, but went steadily downhill thereafter. Here’s my take on the best and worst sketches:

Best: Drunk Uncle
The acerbic randomness of Bobby Moynihan’s soused holiday memories and rage against the new-age-iness of a younger generation never fails to amuse me. “Is this wi-fi organic? Can I get some raw almonds on my yoga class?” was second only to Drunk Uncle’s speculation that there’s now an app to color one’s eggs.

Best: Bein’ Quirky With Zooey Deschanel
It’s the little details in Abby Elliott’s impersonation that make me chuckle: Her comment about collecting vintage typewriters, the dancing and winking to Billie Holiday songs, her penchant for flip-flopping human and pet names. Plus, Kristen Wiig’s Drew Barrymore was amazing, especially the bit about the Joseph Gordon Levitt singing telegram.

Worst: News Promo
Someone please explain to me what was supposed to be funny about this repetitive non-joke of Fred Armisen’s traffic helicopter guy not being able to turn to camera. Unless excruciating is the new funny?

Worst: Manuel Ortiz Show
A double fail for Armisen-fronted sketches. The problem with this recurring spoof of Latin talk-show culture is that it never strives for anything unexpected or outrageous, and instead lazily relies on a formula that gets less funny each time it airs: Bring out a guest with shocking family secret, watch guest and Manuel dance ridiculously, pray that Bill Hader pops up so you’ll at least get a chuckle from his maniacally committed facial expressions.

What did you think of this week’s SNL? What were your picks for best and worst sketch? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (69)

• Wait!! I loved the Hunger Games spoof/skit!! “It’s UNCRRUSTABLEEEES!”

Comment by Marianne – April 8, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Hunger Games skit was funny, I thought she was great in it.

Comment by dan – April 8, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, the hunger games sketch was a lot better than Drunk Uncle…

Comment by JN – April 8, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, Hunger Games skit! That was one of the best skits and no mention? When she screamed “Hunger Games!!!” with that shimmy, I died laughing. She was great, given some of the poorly written material for her from the staff.

Comment by LizLong – April 8, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Coming Up Next: The Hunger Games Puppy Bowl!”

Comment by cj – April 8, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yep Hunger Games was the best sketch and Gilly was the worst (makes me ok that Kristen Wiig might leave)

Comment by Emily – April 8, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t like Kristen Wiig. There is something about her that is annoying and not funny. Yesterday, my family is watching Bridesmaids, which I have never seen. They’re telling me how it’s HYSTERICAL! Did I laugh at some parts, yes. Hysterical? No. I don’t like SNL humor, Kristen Wiig is not funny and Maya Rudolf is equally as annoying. I walked away at the bridesmaids dress part and was yelled at for leaving at the “best part”. Really? I would hate to have seen the worst part then.

Comment by Michelle – April 9, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • you sound old and boring then, go listen to npr

Comment by st – April 9, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually, I’m neither, but thanks for playing!

Comment by Michelle – April 10, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liked the Zooey skit and the “just friends” booty shorts ad made me laugh too. How many commercials is Vergara actually in? Couldn’t always tell when it was commercial break or part of the show. Anyone else distracted by the bird’s nest hair of the boy-banders?

Comment by Ali – April 8, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ALMOST PIZZA commercial with Wiig and Hader rocked it!!! and the Shampoo commercial was hilarious with Vergara and the new girl …. (Drunk Uncle was #1 though)

Comment by KenBud – April 8, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The shampoo commercial skit was hilarious. As was the Watch What Happens Live parody. Taran Killam wasn’t at his best with the Andy Cohen impersonation, but that skit was awesome.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – April 8, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Drunk Uncle was the best of the night…… it was pretty funny. Overall it wasn’t bad. Considering The Hunger Game skit was last, it finished rather strong too.

Comment by Tammy – April 8, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was Seth Myers drunk on Weekend Update? He seemed to be slurring sometimes and his timing was off.

Comment by TD – April 8, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the shampoo commercial. Didn’t care for the boy band. I thought those disappeared in the late 90s. – John

Comment by John Grose – April 8, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Naa, they make a comeback every 10 years or so. lol

Comment by Mike – April 9, 2012 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could someone please kill Gilly!!

Comment by Lori – April 8, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on Mike! the Pantene Commercial was the funniest thing of the night.

Comment by raftrap – April 8, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting fact about the ACTION NEWS PROMO skit –

I went to the 12/05/09 SNL dress rehearsal.

The dress rehearsals run about 2 hrs and a few sketches are reworked or cut altogether for timing to get the live show down to 1.5 hrs.

THAT skit was part of my rehearsal! As it did last night, the sketch included Jason and Fred — but with then-host Blake Lively in the Sofia role.

So here it is — nearly 1.5 years later — and the skit makes the live show. It just proves how stale things are. With all the recycled skits — GILLY? Manny Ortiz? and upteen running of the faux commercials — it reveals how there’s such a lack of originality. No new ideas.

It’s time for NEW writers! Please!

Comment by TimeForNewWriters – April 8, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 2.5 yrs*

Comment by TimeForNewWriters – April 8, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t remember her characters name! found it on wikipedia. Edna Louise

Comment by leahbh – April 9, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Drunk Uncle is always quality. The Watch What Happens skit was pretty good, too, but mostly for Taran Killam being amazing and Kate McKinnon’s debut with her spot on Tabitha impersonation!

Comment by Lauren – April 8, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tabatha and the Pantene commercial – McKinnon did very well her first time outta the gun. hope to see more of her…

Comment by cj – April 8, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree … the way she did that Penelope Cruz Pantene skit was a really good job for an SNL newbie – hope she keeps up!

Taran Killam has been amazing through out the season, must be promoted to regular cast!

Comment by R – April 8, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Him and Vanessa Bayer have to be promoted, Lorne has been taking too long with them, I think that’s why we lost Paul Brittain.

Comment by raftrap – April 8, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Killam is horrendous. Bout time he got the boot. His impressions are terrible, and he’s juts not funny. He ruins every sketch he’s in.

Comment by tripoli – April 9, 2012 12:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At this point, the guest stars rarely get move to work with, let a lone shine. SNL obviously wasn’t keen on Ms. Vergara’s style of comedy. However, as always, you can count on Kristen Wiig and Abby Elliott to at least make one or two skits worth watching. Elliott is quickly becoming one the funniest people on the show, and her impersonations are always dead on.

Comment by Chad Kuhns – April 8, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem is the fact that Sofia Vergara has a very specific brand of humour. They can only write so many loud columbian characters.

Comment by dude – April 8, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love the shampoo commerical, drunk uncle just wasn’t that funny..maybe because it was too close to home for me. the worse was gilly, jilly girl with the afro.

Comment by ben – April 8, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Hunger Games sketch was the best. Probably one of the few times I’ve seen the show save their best sketch for last.

Comment by dude – April 8, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Taran Killam skit was terrible. I liked the Hunger Games skit though.

Comment by Ruby – April 8, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED the Watch What Happens Live sketch but I think you’ll only get it if you watch Bravo. The Tabitha impression was awesome, and Tarren Killam’s Andy Cohen was hilarious! I loved drunk uncle too, but my favorite sketch of the night was the Almost Pizza commercial.

Comment by Babybop – April 8, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree with you–as someone who’s never seen the show they were parodying, it seemed extremely bizarre. The Hunger Games bit was obvious (but funny), and I also liked the shampoo commercial and Kristen Wiig doing Drew Barrymore. I would never have figured her to do that good an impression, but it was amazing.

Comment by CJ – April 8, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here opening was the best I’ve seen all season. Great Zooey, Drew, Fran Drescher skit, loved the just friends shorts, and loved the Hunger Games skit too. No Jay Pharoah this week, huh? I hope he gets more screen time next season.

Comment by Kimm – April 8, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Hunger Games skit and the Pantene commercial spoof was great and I give kudos for Kate McKinnon on her amazing debut on SNL. Hope she’ll be back next season.

Comment by bad kevin – April 8, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Saturday Night Live struggled mightily to utilize Modern Family star Sofia Vergara’s broad and boisterous brand of comedy…” Wait, what? Since when did SNL become subtle and sophisticated? Vergara made me smile in everything she did, including her sex ed teacher until Gilly appeared. The Almost Pizza commercial was hysterical. Agree with you on the Manuel Ortiz Show. It’s so five shows ago.

Comment by Jack – April 8, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Snoozer night overall. Quirky girl sketch was the only memorable one for me.

Comment by Victoria – April 8, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Kristen retired Gilly.. weird.

Comment by Nicole – April 8, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • um… the watch what happens, the pantene commerical, hunger games, zooey deschannel, and the opening monologue. were all HIGH-larious. Drunk Uncle was ok. I find your critiques bias and really off base and I am not a HUGE Sofia Vergara fan. I find you way too negative.

Comment by Van – April 8, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hunger Games!!! But, honestly, I get a head ache hearing her scream lol

Comment by S – April 8, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I were almost in tears laughing at fred trying to turn his head as the helicopter news guy…..we thought it was hilarious!!! So, definately not worst for us. Also loved the quirky skit, hunger games and booty shorts. Definitely didn’t use Sofia enough though….

Comment by Stephanie – April 8, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So So So sick of Gilly. Not funny let it go.

Comment by Forwarddad – April 8, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sofia is fantastic with her timing, I enjoyed the show. Loved Zooey Show, Hunger Games, and the shampoo commercial. Drunk uncle was way too long, plus I think Bobby Moynihan may have really been drunk.

Comment by Nadine – April 8, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember her retiring the Gilly character as well, but I think she did this as sort of a more official last appearance. At least, I kind of got the feeling, personally, because of the way the character was not only readily admitting to everything, but was doing so in a more “harsh” way right up until she sort of “broke character” at the end and said she had gone too far. The whole thing just seemed “off” somehow, even for a Gilly skit.

Comment by The Squatch – April 8, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, on a different subject, I was almost driven to distraction by how attractive the new girl, Kate McKinnon, was. Don’t get me wrong, there have been other attractive SNL cast members. I just found her to be quite lovely and had no idea who she was when she first appeared. I didn’t know they had added a new cast member. Looking forward to seeing more of what she can do since I am unfamiliar with her work. Very nice first outing though.

Comment by The Squatch – April 8, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the same thing. the ending was really abrupt, they cut to the band for a few seconds and everything… but no one said anything about it, so I didn’t think it was out of the ordinary.

Comment by Emma – April 8, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was one of my favorite episodes of the season! The Watch What Happens parody, Gillie, Hunger Games, Drunk Uncle, Bein’ Quirky, the Pantene commercial. They all had me rolling.

Comment by brandy – April 8, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was that calista flockhart in line at the coffe shop??

Comment by Jo – April 8, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a great episode. I actually re-watched the entire thing (well, skipping the boy ”band”. How refreshing was it that Sophia actually knew her lines, and with the exception of one false start (the sex ed skit) was actually acting instead of reading cue cards?

Comment by Walrus – April 8, 2012 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Pantene commercial was the funniest of the night! I was dying with laughter at Kate McKinnon, great first show for her! Looking forward to seeing more from her.

Comment by Conor Shanahan (@ConorShanahan) – April 9, 2012 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate McKinnon (sp?) was very funny as Tabitha and in the Pantene commercial.. we laughed out loud … Fred Armison helicopter sketch wasn’t funny but Fred is so good it was watchable. I liked Manual Ortiz sketch better than the Being Quirky one – which i don’t get the humor of.. except the Drew Barrymore impression was great…Drunk Uncle went on a little too long for my taste…Gilly needs to come back for one last sketch where she gets blown to bits… sorry -:)

Comment by xwiseguyx – April 9, 2012 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PS – Just Friends booty shorts was very hysterical as well…

Comment by xwiseguyx – April 9, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the show but not the drunk uncle, it was stupid but the rest was good, the really thing that makes sofia funny is her accent. OH my God, she knows how to work with it. Keep the good work Sofia and ARRIBA LATINOS.

Comment by Maria Alers – April 9, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Pantene commercial was the best! Sophia rocked the night. Drunk uncle and the News promo were stupid.

Comment by M – April 9, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss when SNL was funny… Gilly’s gotta go, drunk uncle… gotta pass (out) and any time they do one of their central american talk show skits is a bad time. the zooey deschannel kit was good, and Sofia was funny as Fran.

Comment by Todd – April 9, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the whole Bravo sketch was hilarious. I couldn’t stop laughing and it had me in tears. I’m shocked that wasn’t on the list. Taran Killam was fantastic on Saturday.

Comment by Hilary – April 9, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do dig the Being QUirky sketch mostly, but, they’ve got to get rid of Mickey Mouse…I mean Michael Cera

Comment by Carmichael – April 9, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a very funny episode. I was just okay.

Comment by Leigh – April 9, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had a feeling she would fail miserably as host. I didn’t watch it, I can’t stand Sofia Vergara, especially when she’s being herself. I kind of expected the entire monologue she would talk about her dumb K-Mart clothing line since that’s all she can talk about on talk shows.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – April 9, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Just Friends Commercial was the funniest thing all night!! Laughed so hard.

Comment by Lombe Chileshe™ (@MadridistaLombe) – April 10, 2012 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only part worth watching was the Pantene commercial. It was the only part I caught during the live feed and was excited about seeing the rest of the episode. Was quite disappointed. Love Sophia and the new cast member Kate did a great job. I thought the Gilly skit was going to be a great skit until Gilly showed up. It started off with great potential as an original skit. I really wish they utilized Nasim Pedrad more. The other two girls are not that great. Bobby and killam have a lot of underutilized potential, though the Andy Cohen was not too great.

Comment by studiopaiir – April 10, 2012 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her Fran Drescher impression was horrible. The Pantene commercial was funny, though.

Comment by Sarabi – April 11, 2012 12:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this was a wonderful episode. Tr only part I didn’t enjoy was the gilly skit. I feel as though Kristen wiig is too talented for that role. I loved drunk uncle it had me in tears, the Manuel Ortiz show was great, I liked the hunger games skit. Tarren killam was hysterical.

Comment by Alex Bevac – April 18, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frankly the best skits are any of the BRONX BEAT with Rudolph and Pohler.

Comment by Ed Craft – August 18, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post