How I Met Your Mother Boss Talks Time-Jumping Episode, Barney/Robin/Ted Triangle

How I Met Your MotherHow I Met Your Mother is getting ready to serve up one of its time-trippiest episodes yet this Monday (8/7c, CBS). The hour will feature “a lot of flashbacks and flash-forwards,” executive producer Carter Bays promises TVLine.

Here’s the conceit: As part of their every-three-years tradition, pals Ted, Marshall and Barney embark on “trilogy time,” a get-together during which they watch the Star Wars saga – it’s only Ted’s favorite movie ever – and speculate about what their lives will be like in another 36 months.

How I Met Your Mother Hot Shots: Ted’s Hideous Green Dress Returns!

“The premise of it is how, throughout life, you’re always imagining what things are going to be like down the road,” explains Bays, “and you never quite guess correctly.”

Naturally as the characters do their guesstimating, the show will employ some crafty storytelling as it travels through time. “It’s a little more [of a] conceptual episode,” says the boss. “It tells its story in a slightly different time frame.” And judging from this statement, we might be seeing the gang in some particularly interesting incarnations: “The actors all get a chance to stretch themselves a little bit.”

Of course, former cad Barney need only look to the present to see how far he’s come: The episode marks his official move-in date with girlfriend Quinn (guest star Becki Newton). And, though Bays insists “they are very happy as a couple,” there have to be some challenges ahead following such a short courtship, right? “There’s always stumbling blocks,” he replies. “That’s what makes it a good story. But I can’t say anything more than that.”

Neil Patrick Harris to Host 2012 Tony Awards

Meanwhile, don’t close the book just yet on Robin and Barney – or even Robin and Ted! The currently single gal has been dealing with Barney’s new romance remarkably well, because she “wants the best for [him].” But, while her intentions might be noble, there’s still the “lingering question” of her feelings for her old flame.

As for her other ex, Ted, she may not have reciprocated his confession of love, but a relationship between them is still “always on the table,” teases Bays. “It’s a love triangle. As long as they’re all in each other’s worlds, there’s always going to be that tension between these three characters. It’ll take something big happening for that to go away.”

1. Claudia says:

Barney & Robin? Yes please!
    Robin & Ted? Hell No!

• Brenna says:

^this!

• hann789 says:

Agreed. I wish they would let the whole Ted/Robin thing rest. We know she isn’t the mother, so it’s bordering on boring having anything happen between them again.

I however, would love to see Robin and Barney get back together!

• albtrex says:

Agreed, absolutely!!! ENOUGH with Ted and Robin!!!!!

• Anna says:

Agreed. As soon as she was introduced as “Aunt Robin” in the first episode I was over the Ted & Robin SL. Obviously it doesn’t go anywhere and dating once was enough. Revisiting that relationship every season or so is incredibly boring and annoying.

• Jon Smoth says:

Wait until this season’s finale when young Ted takes over as the voice of future Ted. He’ll explain to his kids “that’s how after mom died, Aunt Robin and I got back together and married.”

You read it here first.

• Anna says:

I’ve never used this phrase before but if they ever did that SL, that would be an official jump the shark moment. HIMYM is better than that.

• dolf37 says:

i put forth the “mother dead” months ago, and dissed it at the same time. it’d go against the grain of the show.

• jenna says:

Agreed with the whole Robin and Ted thing, its just SO overplayed. Even when Ted told robin he loved her a couple episodes back my only reaction was “Really!?!? Are we actually going down that road AGAIN??” its bad enough that we haven’t been getting more clues on the mother but to keep going in circles with the same storyline? Just let it go!

• wordsmith says:

Barney and Ted!

• Sarah says:

Agreed! I love Ted and I love Robin, but not together! I love Barney and Robin. They just work and are so super adorable together!!!

2. Deena says:

ugh, please stop with the Robin/Ted story. It’s borderline incest for me at this point. How the heck will Ted find the right woman if he’s still hung up on Robin. Their latest storyline really made me dislike both of them

3. Kara says:

I enjoy Ted/Robin and Barney/Robin in equal measure. IMO this is how a love triangle should be written, equal love and respect on everyone’s part. So much better then the silly triangles on the CW Network- looking at you Vampire Diaries AKA how NOT to write a love triangle.

• katy917 says:

I couldn’t agree more, Kara, you nailled it for me, every part :)

• Sarah says:

The TVD love triangle isnt supposed to be realistic as the whole premise of the show is extremely unreal. But that is why we love it! I love TVD and all the triangles!!

4. Javi says:

I’ve always liked Ted and Robin together, but knowing that they won’t last, it’s, like, pointless…

5. Brooke says:

Ugh, why does it have to be a love triangle? Robin/Ted can never compete with the epicness that is Robin/Barney.

• wordsmith says:

Not that I disagree with you at this particular stage in the show, but people seem to forget that the Ted & Robin relationship was pretty much the core of the entire first (and still best) season, and it was actually pretty epic.

• Michi says:

I’m sorry, but whaaat? Rewatch seasons 1-2, even their moments in s3 until now. Ted/Robin’s story > Barney/Robin’s story (I hate comparing but it pisses me off when people call Ted/Robin’s relationship incest), even Bays knows that. Ugh I’ll never understand all this hate towards Ted and Robin. Since the pilot these two have been the clear soulmates of the show (besides Marshall and Lily ofc).

• Anna says:

Ted and Robin want totally different things out of life. If that is what soul mate is then I hope I never find mine.

• Sarah says:

totally Anna! behind you 100%. they are great as close close friends but they want such different things, the relationship would never work in the long term! it is what it is.

• Michi says:

Uhm what exactly do they want that’s so different? Robin wants to travel for her career and she used to not want to settle down but now she’s ready. Ted wants to fall in love, yada yada. Robin has already told Ted that when she’s ready to commit she’d like to know Ted’s there. She’s already said that if she were to have kids, she’d have them with Ted.

So uhm… Different things? Don’t see it, tbh.

6. MariaPompeo says:

Ted and Robin!!!

Barney is a cad and should stay that way.

7. I must be the only person who enjoys Ted and Robin

8. Daniela says:

This Robin/Ted story needs to stop ASAP. We all know that she isn’t the mother, but yet see her as a good friend of Ted’s and aunt Robin. For this to work, Ted and Robin need to have a stable friendship and stop screwing each other when no real love interest is around.

9. kat says:

I definitely prefer robin/ted. It saddens me that we’ve been told from the start she’s not the mother, but I can’t help but hope for a twist that would allow them to end up together…

10. Rachel says:

I want Quinn to just go away already. I can’t stand her. Becki Newton is ok, but Quinn annoys me. Hopefully the something “big happening” to make the Ted/Robin/Barney love triangle go away is that Barney and Robin get engaged in the future, and then Ted meets the Mother at their wedding.

• jenna says:

I think that is what’s going to happen ie. Barney & robin get engaged, Ted meets the mother at their wedding, mother being Barney’s step-sister in college. Its the only way I can see the entire show coming full circle, and also makes sense as to why they started the show with how Ted met Robin

• Sarah says:

AGRREEEDDDD!!! Cannot stand QUINN!!! Let’s just put Barney and Robin together already! We know its end game!!

11. Barney-Robin Wedding, Barney-Robin Wedding!!=-)

12. Annie says:

This so called triangle has been poorly written. The development of Barney’s relationship with Quin was too rushed. Robin has been made to look like an idiot. And worst of all, Barney and Robin have been acting like they don’t know each other, and like they don’t have any issues that need to be dealt with.

13. Alex says:

I’m one of those who really liked the relationship between Ted and Robin but they have GOT to stop with this. How are we supposed to believe that Ted is genuinely going to fall in love with another woman if he can’t get over Robin? I honestly don’t like Robin and Barney together so I would rather have them find someone else to be happy with. I just don’t think they click together and I think they can find someone else that suits them better. I like Quinn but I want a little more time before I decide whether I like her with Barney or not.

14. Mary says:

Enough with Robin and Ted and Robin and Barney. Barney and Robin didn’t even work for very long and Ted should move on too. I’m ready for him to meet the mother already.

15. Christine says:

I liked Ted and Robin when they were together, but like everyone else is saying, we know she’s not the mother, so all this crap between them at this point is just a waste of our time. I actually like Barney and Robin together, but I wouldn’t mind if they ended up with other people. My only requirement is that they end up with people that are well suited for them, and that the relationships and the characters are well developed.

16. JBS says:

1. Robin+Ted=DEFINITELY SHOULDN’T HAPPEN AGAIN (although imo, when they were a couple, it was pretty great. But that was so season 2)
    2. Robin+Barney=PROBABLY WILL HAPPEN AT SOME POINT…AGAIN…AND IT’LL BE LONG TERM (even though they [writers] completely screwed it up the 1st time)
    3. Barney+Quinn=PROBABLY WON’T BE LONG TERM…BUT SHOULD BE (they are made for each other personality wise and I do like her)
    4. Ted+Quinn= I KNOW IT WON’T HAPPEN…but if there was any way to alter the HIMYM timeline without making loyal fans mad, I would like Quinn to be the mother so that way, Ted gets an awesome wife AND all the Barney-Robin fans can (possibly) be happy.
    5. Ted +?=at this point, if the mother is anybody but Barney’s half-sister, then the writers are going to have to do a heck of a job introducing her to the audience.

17. Lindsey says:

I know I’m in the minority, but I hated her with both of them. Both couples were terrible. I’m realistic enough to know she’ll probably eventually be with Barney, but I’d rather the show defy cliches (which they used to be good at until the Barney/Robin thing) and have Robin end up alone. Either that or be with someone outside the core group.

18. cuius says:

HIMYM is in “7-year itch” territory – think we’ve had its best years; all the combinations have been tried – get out whilst the going’s good

19. Ashton says:

As much as I enjoyed the Ted/Robin story we have known since episode 1 that she isn’t the mother so let her and Barney marry and live happily ever after…or something like that lol.

20. Tee says:

I liked Robin and Ted together and all, but this on-again, off-again endless thing when she’s not the mother and she’s since been romantically involved with one of his best friends, is just getting weird.

21. kyrie says:

For the love of god, let’s get to the mother story already. They are now going around in circles that is why about two episodes ago I stopped watching and would just wait for the mother to show up. Sometimes I wish the ratings would go down so that they can cut all the crap.

22. Keri says:

Well, I’m happy to see I’m not the only one who loved Robin and Ted together and still wishes there was some way they could end up together – even though we know she is not the mother. Season 1 was definitely my favorite, and they were one of the main reasons why. Regardless, I am very interested to finally meet the mother and see how this all shakes out.

23. Alyson says:

Please BARNEY AND ROBIN ARE THE BEST COUPLE EVEEERRR !!

24. Abbey88 says:

Question: How do we know that Ted is speaking to HIS children? They very well could belong to any of the group. He could indeed be married to Robin in the future – he may simply be talking about how he met THEIR mother. Kinda makes you go hmmmm? Eh?

• Emma says:

They’ve addressed him as ‘dad’ several times throughout the show. They have to be his kids.

• Mark P says:

David Henrie and Lyndsy Fonseca (the actors playing the kids) already shot their “reactions” when it’s revealed who the mother is. in short, they basically know what’s gonna happen in the series finale.

• Mikael says:

I think it would be funny if they shot their reactions this season or next, when they’re clearly older and have them say “It felt like you were telling this story for 8 years!”

• dolf37 says:

‘already shot their “reactions” when it’s revealed …’
        you make it sound like the kids don’t know who the mother is and it would be a surprise to them. Not said anywhere that would be the case (on the contrary, the kids obvious disinterest at times rather show that they do know).
        and a hint was in beginning season two when Ted found out his parents had gotten divorced, he was disgruntled with his family’s lack of sharing and stated “when I tell my kids how i meet their mother, I’ll tell them everything”, which is exactly what he’s been doing.

25. Ali says:

This on again off again does not work. And wouldnt it just be cruel of Robin to be in a relationship with Ted AGAIN when she has already plain out told him she doesnt love him? There is no where to go in that relationship.

26. Rachel says:

I’m excited for this episode, they usually do stuff like this pretty well. I just hope that we really close the book on Ted/Robin, and fast. I’m okay with all of the back and forth about Barney and Robin, but Ted needs to just…I don’t know. Get over it.

27. Robin and Barney, please!!!! I really really hope that Robin is Barney’s bride at the end of the season! It has to be! No more Ted and Robin, please guys. We’ve had enough and we already know that Robin is NOT the mother!

28. JB Smooove says:

So when is Ashley Williams coming back?

29. Bry says:

30. Bry says:

People are really shortsighted if they think the writers can’t write themselves out of “Aunt Robin”. I think if you took a poll, saying that if Robin hadn’t been labeled as Aunt Robin, people would overwhelmingly want Ted and Robin together. The actors have awesome chemistry together ….period.

31. mary says:

it has been made clear that robin and ted will not end up together. so stop going back to that story already!!

32. Mica Tupaz says:

Robin not being the mother doesn’t mean she won’t end up with Ted. There are a lot of things we still don’t know and there are more things surprisingly gonna happen. There is a possibility she will end up with Ted which I wish she would. Ted/Robin for life!

33. Putri says:

No more Ted/Robin, PLEASE. Ted will meet Barney’s half sister at the wedding – Barney and Robin’s wedding. She’s the mother – and she will be played by awesome actress – Mila Kunis. There – problem solved!

34. Hannah22 says:

Robin and barney for ever and ever. But in every movie or show the couples that I what to get to gather never gets together eg. Damon and Elena, Bella and The hot dood , and in animus as well.

35. John says:

Wow, you people are crazy !! Just let the writers write the frakkin’ show. You all seem so eager to get to the end, why? Just enjoy each episode, laugh at the awesome jokes & remember, this is a sit-com, not “Lost”.

36. O'Brien says:

Robin and Ted, to me, feel almost like they are each other’s safety blanket, which makes me both love and hate the relationship. I love it, because they have that comfort, that safety with one another, and they really do love each other, but their getting together will always end poorly, even if we didn’t know Robin’s not the mother, because they don’t want the same things. It’s a safe relationship because they don’t they can never really be together (but of course, it does damage to their friendship over and over again).

Robin and Barney, to me, are scared to death of each other. Ever since “Zip, Zip, Zip,” I was just completely drawn into their storyline, because they are compatible, they do love each other, and they DO want the same things. Barney was finally ready to make it work, and Robin got scared. Robin, to me, has the most she needs to grow before she can be with anyone, but I think in the end, Barney and Robin are right for each other. Ugh. Oh, show. You kill me. I think at the end of the season, we’re not going to be at Robin and Barney’s wedding – he’ll be set to marry someone else, but the wedding won’t actually happen. Because of Robin. Because it’ll always be Robin for him, deep down.

37. Bry says:

Seriously who cares whether or not Ted and Robin don’t end up together or she’s not the mother. I like seeing them together. The most compelling moments in this series are when things don’t end up happily ever after, like when Robin breaks Ted’s heart again and moves out or when Robin leaves Barney high and dry. This notion of, well Robin isn’t the mother so let it die, defeats watching and enjoying the show. It’s like let’s just hurry up to the end so we can see Ted meet the mother and Barney and Robin married and everybody can live happily ever after in their perfect worlds. ENJOY THE JOURNEY! It’s not going to end anytime soon. The show is doing better ratings than it has ever done.

And besides you’re being really shortsighted if you think the writers can’t write themselves out of “Aunt Robin”. Some of you are so stuck on the “Aunt Robin” thing, it’s as if Moses carried it down from the mountain on stone tablets. If the writer’s really want to put Robin and Ted together, believe me they will find a way.

What I really want to see from this show is conflict between Ted and Barney. It is completely unrealistic for two people to be in love with the same girl and for them to be best friends. The Ted/Robin relationship is finally being dealt with realistically. THE WRITERS HAVE TO DEAL WITH TED/BARNEY AT SOME POINT!!

• Stone says:

I agree complettly and honestly i think throwing barney inti the whole sappy datting drama is too much and im just sad about it. I miss the old barney stinson who sleeped around pulled the funniest stuff in the show. The imature horney mastermined who basiclly had no job no girlfriend and was just a guy in new york city doing whatever he damn well pleases. The shiw had such an opening to play off of him. There could have been plenty of episodes with him doing crazy hilarious things like when he went to be on the price is right and when he went around new york city for a night claiming he was ted mosby. He was the ring leader of the crazy nights in the town like going to strip clubs on thanksgiving and taking people to lazer tag or clubs. I think the show was funnier when barney stinson was the big headed hilarious character whi cared about only himself and ocasionely his friends

38. Broadwayfan says:

Something better happen with ‘Your Mother’ pretty soon. It’s 2012. When he’s talking to the kids it’s 2030…only have 18 years to go. And those kids look pretty close to ’18 territory’

• JBS says:

I just saw the episode, and without giving anything away, all I will say is that things DO happen between Ted and “The Mother.” within the “near” future

39. blueeyes says:

Ted & Robin? Yes please!
    Barney & Robin? Hell No!
    Barney & Quinn? JUST GET MARRIED ALREADY

40. teez says:

All you Ted and Robin fans just give it a rest we all know that Robin is not the mother sho why bother,But I will really like to see Barney and Robin end up together