Ratings: Tree Hill Farewell Ticks Up, Happy Endings Finale Dips, Betty White Rocks for NBC

NBC this morning is saying “Prank you very much” to the 90 years young Betty White, whose hidden camera show gave the Peacock its (faint praise alert) best audience in the Wednesday lead-off slot in four months.

Specifically, Betty White’s Off Their Rockers drew 7.2 million total viewers (the time slot’s largest audience since Nov. 11’s Christmas in Rockefeller Center) while scoring a 1.8 rating (the best demo delivery since Jan. 11).

NBC newbie Best Friends Forever led out of that with 3.9 million total viewers and a 1.2 rating, improving on Are You There, Chelsea‘s finale audience by 26 percent but merely matching its predecessor’s demo performance.

Relive the Tree Hill Series Finale’s Best Moments – Plus: Mark Schwahn Thanks Fans

Of the night’s three finales, One Tree Hill wrapped its nine-year run with a two-hour average of 1.4 million total viewers and a 0.8 rating, up 4 and 14 percent week-to-week, Happy Endings closed its sophomore season with 3.7 mil and a 1.6 (down 10 and 16 percent), and the blink-and-you-missed-it Bent‘s season-ending double-header averaged 2.24 and a 0.8 (down 8 percent and a tenth).

Elsewhere on the night:

* American Idol led Wednesday this time around with 16.7 million total viewers and a 4.7 rating, down 7 and 11 percent week-to-week.

* Survivor (10.1 mil/2.7) dropped two tenths in the demo.

* Criminal Minds (11.23 mil/3.0) dipped 6 percent, while CSI (11.9 mil/2.9) gained 5 and 12 percent.

1. bad kevin says:

Hope ABC renews Happy Endings for another season. One of the best sitcoms of the year. :-)

2. Ed says:

I caught the last 10 mins of Off your Rocker, I had no idea it was on. At first I thought it was going to be a series, but after the 1 airing a few months ago I never saw it again. Is this going to be like a 1 episode every few months series or what??

• BWhiteFan says:

January was a preview of the show. It will now be on every week for the rest of the 12 episode order!

3. tvaddict says:

The Happy Endings finale was one of their best episodes! I’m sad to hear it was down and Best Friends Forever started weak. BFF actually was pretty funny.

4. Joseph says:

Happy Endings need Modern Family’s new episodes to start off the night, or ABC needs to make Wednesday family comedy night, and Tuesday Roommate, Friends, comedy night. With that being said, Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the Bitch in Apartment 33 would be on Tuesday making way for two 1 hour dramas, and Last Man Standing could be placed on Wednesday before the Middle.

• I agree. Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B- don’t go with the rest of the family shows on Wednesday night. The Middle, Suburgatory, and Modern Family are all family shows. Last Man Standing would fit in perfectly. Also, Cougar Town would fit better with Happy Endings or Don’t Trust the B-.

• stucker1516 says:

Totally agree! Plus, the fact that all three other shows last night were repeats, many people may not have tuned in thinking Happy Ending was as well. Love the show…..and it and Cougar Town would make for an absolutely hilarious hour!

5. Brian J says:

Assuming the ratings hold, it seems like the sort of show that should easily be a part of the network’s schedule next fall. The ratings aren’t that impressive overall, but for NBC, they are very good, especially since the show went up against “Survivor” and “Idol.” I have a hard time imagining it’s an expensive show to produce, so perhaps it can even be part of the network’s summer schedule to help it gain momentum.

And if it is a part of the network’s fall schedule, perhaps a struggling sitcom like “Community,” “30 Rock,” or even “Bent” can be put after it. Hell, why not order more episodes of both “Off Their Rockers” and “Bent” and put both them on during the summer?

• Midori says:

Community is the best rated comedy on NBC now.

• Holly says:

Well, it’s the best rated comedy that aired last week. Actually, Parks and Recreation and The Office are better rated, when they are on. That said, Community is the 3rd best rated comedy and I declare that a victory!

6. Magali says:

What about Bent?

7. Jess says:

I don’t understand why ABC had to air the last couple episodes of Happy Endings with NO OTHER NEW COMEDIES or NEW REVENGE!!!?!?!?!?!? Just to make room for Apt 23? While that new show isn’t terrible, it’s nowhere near the level of Happy Endings. They better renew the show for a 3rd season!!!

8. Criminal Minds episode was just so great!! The show keeps delivering every Wednesday night even after 7 yrs on air!

9. Jackie Knoll says:

Love Bent! Every episode gets better & better – sharp writing, fun characters. REALLY REALLY hope NBC gives this show a 2nd chance!

10. mes says:

GO CSI!

11. Gerald says:

I can’t believe One Tree Hill didn’t get even higher numbers, the retrospective pre show really reminded me how much I loved this show and all its characters. A great 9 years. It will be missed.

12. Magically Suspicious says:

After that Bent finale, they better renew! I haven’t seen sexual tension like that in a LOOOONNNGGGG time. So good!

13. really says:

I am sad to report that David Walton has joined a CBS pilot. I loved Bent I thought it was clever, witty and funny and it should be on in place of The Office which has not been funny since last season, well really the last couple seasons. Anyways there has been no official word yet from NBC but sounds like Bent’s fate is sealed. Which is why they are the lowest rated network on the air! Sorry but if they give the Betty White show and the BFF show full season orders that will be the last straw for me and if they do not renew Parenthood I will be super pissed.

14. Velvet says:

Each epi of Bent gets better.

15. mary says:

the rating for oth’s series finale is pretty low. how sad. u will be missed, oth :(

16. Lindsey says:

I watch Happy Endings here and there, and I enjoyed the finale. The whole time I was wondering why they’d air the finale of a bubble show after a repeat of Modern Family. Why not wait until next week to air it? It’s just common sense, but then again, that’s something most of these network execs lack.

• wiicho says:

I think ABC knew that Happy Endings was already going to be renewed!
      so they rather cushion the “…..Apartment 23″ premiere with the new episodes of the really famous shows, so it could get a high raiting.