The Glee Project Season 2: Meet the Cast, Pick an Early Fave and Give 'Em a Storyline!

Continuing — or perhaps expanding on — its first-season theme of “Who can inspire Ryan Murphy to write a brand new character?”, Season 2 of The Glee Project features 14 contestants with a wide range of backgrounds and backstories. There’s a Jewish transgender guy, a Muslim jazz singer, and a Mormon chick who looks a lot like Justin Bieber. There’s a kid with severe ADHD and low-spectral autism, and one with Morning Glory Syndrome, which caused him to go blind at the age of nine. There’s even a parrot salesman (!) in the mix. So check out our gallery of cast photos and official bios, tell us who’s your early favorite to win the Glee Project crown (and a multi-episode arc on the Glee mothership), and whip ‘em up a story arc while you’re at it!

Comments (41)

• Not a very diverse group IMO

Comment by Trev – April 4, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This was sarcastic, right? By my counts (ugh, and I hate doing this, because I’m guessing on someone’s background based on their looks alone, which don’t always tell the right story, and I’m probably wrong here on more than one of these), here’s what I see…
      -Two or three (at least partly) African-Americans (Tyler, Taryn, Mario).
      -Mario is blind.
      -Guessing Dani might be LGBT (not just because of her look, but based on her desire to portray an androgynous female)
      -Abraham is Asian
      -Lily Mae is full-figured
      -Ali is paraplegic
      -A few of the males ping my gaydar, but I’ll keep those to myself since none of them identify as such in their bios

Compared to just about any cast out there, how is this NOT diverse? How do you not see diversity?

Comment by Gonzalo – April 4, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And I even forgot Aylin is Turkish and Muslim!

Comment by Gonzalo – April 4, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Surely he/she was being sarcastic – made me LOL, for sure!

Comment by lauren – April 4, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Fair enough. Maybe my sarcasm detector is low on batteries. I think I’ve been reading too many comments today (especially those Gossip Girl ones from last night’s Ask Ausiello), so I was just waiting for something to blow my fuse on.

Comment by Gonzalo – April 4, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The haircut certainly aren’t diverse, lol. So many Biebers!

Comment by rachyfrank – April 4, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I miss Damian! 😭

Comment by Brooklyn – May 1, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nellie, Michael, Lily Mae, Charlie and Ali!

Comment by Wouter – April 4, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And i don’t like Aylin and Maxfield. But ofcourse it’s likely my opinion will change when watching the show.

Comment by Wouter – April 4, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You don’t like them based on . . . what? Their blurbs? There is nothing remotely negative about any of them in their blurbs.

Comment by James – April 4, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Other other Asian?

Comment by espy88 – April 4, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Androgynous Bieber Girl, Biracial Jewish Transgender Guy, Promise Ring Guy, Muslim Girl, Morning Glory Syndrome Guy, Girl in Wheelchair, Plus Size Girl, ADHD Guy, and Other Asian Guy. Sue Sylvester would have a field day! And I thought season 1 of the Glee Project had a pretty diverse group!

Comment by Kelvin – April 4, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First impression: Shanna,Michael,Lily Mae,Ali,Abraham…Last year I liked Lindsay immediately, so maybe one of these will be my favorite

Comment by Millo – April 4, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justin Bieber is going to be on the Glee Project??? I thought he already had a successful career?!?

Comment by heather – April 4, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dani looks freakishly like Justin Bieber, but maybe in like a good way?

As to picking favorites, you can never tell anything from just pictures. Need to hear them sing.

Comment by Jane – April 4, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dani was one of my favorites on America’s Got Talent – for her audition she did one of Justin Bieber’s songs – but she changed the words to make fun of him. It was awesome. When she didn’t do more comedy music I was a bit disappointed and I think she got shafted on AGT – I would LOVE to see her on Glee! That would be awesome!

Comment by songbyrd86 – April 4, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not going to pick just yet as I’m going to wait until the show starts this summer! :)

Comment by Cat – April 4, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know the all the contestants have talent! No need to hate. If they didn’t the would not be on the show! I wish them all The Best! Side note: My Money is on Aylin! I’ve heard her sing, she can sing like Amy Winehouse and Adele like its nothing. :)

Comment by Haas – April 4, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lily Mae and Nelli have my interest. I was not a fan of Dani on America’s Got Talent and nothing has changed; the gimmick of being a Justin Bieber look-a-like will wear thin pretty fast. I appreciate more authentic artists.

Comment by Linderella – April 4, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, please…lesbians had that look long before Justin Bieber. He’s our look-a-like.

Comment by gs81 – April 4, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maxfield looks like he’s in his mid 30′s

Comment by Gwak – April 4, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To the Dani = Bieber folks.. she knows it and laughs about it. You missed AGT last season! ;) Look up Dani Shay AGT on YouTube!

Comment by Andi Ruggles – April 4, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dani/ Bieber is a Very Talented Girl as well! So Money on them two, Aylin, and Dani :)

Comment by Haas – April 4, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Justin Bieber look-a-like is going to win. 100% guaranteed.

Comment by kavyn – April 4, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she’s gonna win, but not because she looks like justin bieber, but because she’s awesome

Comment by jamie – June 6, 2012 04:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since we’ve seen Dani before, it’s unfortunate that we already know that she can’t sing.

Comment by Coolio Jackson – April 4, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • are you talking about the same Dani Shay? she’s AMAZING. Rooting for her and Nellie

Comment by nat – June 6, 2012 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A chick who looks like Justin Bieber? That’s redundant.

Comment by miles silverberg – April 4, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ROFL! Good one!

Comment by AriesMatt – April 4, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show last year and am looking so forward to another season.

I love a musician as much as the next person, and I get that the show is called “glee,” but I seriously hope who ever wins this year has some acting skillz.

Comment by karenb – April 4, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I think they all have the look that could fit in with the New Directions “misfit toys” type. I think some of the primary characters representing diversity, wouldn’t make sense to have more then 2 episode appearances in a Season. When they had that Shaun/Sean character in Season 1′s Laryngitis, it took them a fairly long time to film his 2 scenes. I think people forget that Kevin McHale isn’t actually in a wheelchair sometimes…. The idea of having an ongoing blind actor, or an actor suffering from ADHD, or an actress who is paralysed from the chest down, may be an AMAZING idea. But realisticlly…..on a day to day filming schedule, for a minimum of 7 episodes? When filming is already pretty intense for the cast who have been around for 3 years? I don’t know….. maybe they can get the runner up 2 episodes that Lindsay and Alex won.

Comment by JDHetherington – April 4, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • EDIT * I think some of the primary ACTORS representing diversity.

Comment by JDHetherington – April 4, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, ableist much? So you are arguing that people with disabilities shouldn’t be cast to play people with disabilities because “it takes a long time to film their scenes”? Instead, abled-bodied people should pretend to be people with disabilities because it is easier on everyone involved? This is so utterly problematic for so many reasons.

Bottom line – each of these people, whether they live with a disability or not – has some kind of history of in the performance/ entertainment arena and so probably know their own abilities to act, sing, dance, etc. a lot better than someone who is bigoted against them. They should be the judge of their own abilities, not you.

Comment by SLS – April 4, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How original, a justin beiber lesbian

Comment by heather – April 4, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, hands down!

Comment by Bob M – April 4, 2012 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After seeing what came of the first season ‘winners,’ I’m not in a rush to see who will be bogging down the actual Glee tv show next season… The Irish import was the bane of Glee Season 3. Sure, the guy can sing great, but his acting craft was wooden and he never felt like an actor! I despised his character and will be glad to see him go. And the guy with the dreads… Well, he could act *and* sing, but his character felt like a last minute throw-in. Hopefully the powers that be can work out these kinks in season 2 of the Glee Project by preparing a better entrance and fit for the winners when they do finally grace the Glee set and also by more stringently testing the other skills (cough, acting!) of the contestants.

Comment by Alex – April 5, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We’ve only basically seen Samuel (dreads) in one episode (+ very little in the second one). During the hiatus he’s been in 5 more, and says they’ve already extended him beyond the promised 7. They like his character, so they’ve beefed up his role and given him a lot more to do, involved him in more storylines, etc. A lot of people are telling him they’re going to pick up his option and make him a regular next year.

You can see they want to keep Samuel by the fact that not one of these hopefuls is remotely a rocker or Indie rocker type. They’re all painfully clean cut, despite their diversity in other ways. If they didn’t want to keep Samuel, they’d be looking for his type again, because Mark Salling is turning 30 and looking his age these days.

Comment by Jess – April 9, 2012 02:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael is super hot :D

Comment by andrew – April 9, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael is hot as hell. I’m rooting for him and the jewish trasgender.

Comment by claire – April 29, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael= (singer + cute) ^ math geek
    Sign me up! ;)

Comment by LGKavanagh – May 20, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tyler is transgender right? Isn’t that what they said on the first episode? Also I love BLAKE and NELLIE

Comment by Seattlyte – June 11, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post