Happy Endings Season Finale Preview: A Penny/Dave/Alex Love Triangle Is Born?

Happy Endings Elisha Cuthbert Zachary KnightonAnother Happy Endings season finale, another wedding. Yes, the gang is once again celebrating someone else’s nuptials in tonight’s episode (ABC, 9:30/8:30c) as Derek (returning guest star Stephen Guarino) and his boyfriend Eric (Nate Smith) tie the knot. It’s only fitting, then, that the buzzy comedy should end its sophomore year with not only an exchange of vows, but also with a bit of romantic intrigue for our pals.

Spoiler Alert! Happy Endings Romance Scoop! Alias Cliffhanger Redux!

“The finale is incredible,” Eliza Coupe, who plays tightly-wound Jane, told TVLine at the College TV Awards last Saturday. “You think two people are going to get together, and then you think another two people are going to get together, and you just never know.”

Could she be talking about buddies Dave (Zachary Knighton) and Penny (Casey Wilson), who shared a surprising spark earlier this season? While Knighton admitted that he has “no idea where [the relationship] is going to go,” he did reveal that “there are definitely little weird cliffhangers in the finale.”

“The show kind of flirts with the Penny and Dave thing,” he said, adding that it’s fine by him. “That’s healthy because that is sort of a reality in people’s friendships and lives.”

But complicating a would-be relationship between these pals is the fact that things definitely do not seem to be over between Dave and Alex (Elisha Cuthbert), the ex who jilted him on their wedding day. Having slept together in a recent episode, “there is a palpable tension” between the former couple, teased Knighton.

Happy Endings Casey Wilson“The Penny thing will add an interesting twist to it,” he continued. And speaking of the perennial single gal, Penny’s got her own Option B thanks to a very handsome guest star – Brian Austin Green as an injured, Skyped-in wedding guest.

Ultimately, though, if Knighton had his way, Dave would remain a bachelor. “I like where my character is at right now because I literally get to go on dates with really cute girls every week,” he said. “It’s really fun, and it keeps it light. It’s good for the comedy.”

(With reporting by Paula Carvajal)

Comments (23)

• Just keep the laughs coming! This ha quickly become my favorite show, I don’t want the season to end.

Comment by Eric – April 4, 2012 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give me Dave and Penny. I already see tons of chemistry there. Don’t want Dave with the woman who left him at the alter. Come on.

Comment by lene – April 4, 2012 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!! I totally agree!!

Comment by Sarah Hannigan – April 5, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually think they would be alot better together- they seem really sweet and fun when they’re with each other. I would watch a dave and penny relationship with giddiness and happiness and just all around excitement while a dave and alex is a bit shoulder shrugging- i really don’t care for it- in face i’ll go as far as to say i find them rather boring together. don’t get me wrong i love both characters but just not together. go the dave and penny band wagon!!! :)

Comment by Hayley – August 11, 2012 05:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they do it right, I’m all for it! I personally would love it if they all remained friends (including Dave and Alex, which I don’t like as a couple) and though I like Penny and Dave, I’m not excited about whatever consequences that might bring to the group, so… But this show’s so good I’m sure whatever they do they’ll do it right.

Comment by Taylah – April 4, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t mind Dave and Penny but I’d love for Alex and Dave to get back together at some point.

Comment by Gabrielle Chantel (@WonderlandGabby) – April 4, 2012 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather no one coupled up. I love this show and te dynamics work great. Any relationships within the group would, I feel, change things. Just keep up the funny!

Comment by Ross – April 4, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dave and Penny are perfect for each other. I’d love to see them end up together. I think it would be believable for even ditzy Alex to be happy for them since she loves them both so much. Plus, it’d be nice to see Dave and Alex appreciate each other as their first loves but move on as friends. Because if they ended up together it would seem like Alex settled for him like a consolation prize. Her leaving him at the alter really sums up what their relationship is. Penny and Dave need to happen!

Comment by Jess – April 4, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am loving the idea of a Happy Endings wedding episode each season, just like Desperate Housewives has their disaster episode each season and Friends had their Thanksgiving eposide each season.

Comment by Tony2u – April 4, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly I don’t see any chemistry between Dave & Penny… I really don’t understand how anyone else sees it– they’ve barely shared enough moments together, particularly compared to Dave & Alex who are really kindred spirits. Plus I love Penny as the spinster. Overall, though, I think all three should just stay single– they’re hilarious just the way they are, but if I had to pick anyone for Dave, definitely not Penny.

Comment by BBV – April 4, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I cannot stress how wrong you are but maybe if you try you will realise all by yourself… go on give it a go… I’ll wait.

Comment by P. Shepherd (a shepherd of peas) – April 5, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re amazing. I completely agree! Just for 2 scenes between them, they all start seeing them as a couple? After everything Dave and Alex have been through? C’mon, guys. Personally, I’m in love with Dalex (Dave&Alex), so I’d like them to get back together, but wheter this will happen or not, I don’t want to see Penny&Dave together! It would be weird. Too weird. Penny with Brian Austin Green, please.

Comment by ItalianGirl1 – June 6, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Penny but her perfect man is Max, a bit like Will & Grace. However I would really like to see more Dave and Alex after their Christmas kiss I have been aching for some more screen time for these two, so I loved the relapse episode!

Comment by Kate McKenna (@Katemadeleine) – April 4, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think that you completely understand what a homosexual is… I think that if it were two men or two women who were that close you would have a different opinion I think that Dave and Brad are the perfect couple… how’d you like them apples?

Comment by Orchard Lover 1997 – April 5, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. I also see P&M like Will&Grace, and this is so funny! I want to see more Dave&Alex, too. After they slept together, I couldn’t accept that they were acting like nothing has happen. They’re meant to be.

Comment by ItalianGirl1 – June 6, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A Penny/Dave/Max triange would be so much more interesting.

Comment by Tarc – April 4, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved the episode!

Comment by Hannah – April 5, 2012 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had never watched an episode, but I watched the wedding finale, I’ll be watching next season, it was fun.

Comment by raftrap – April 5, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, Dave and Penny? Seriously? No way. I like both characters individually, but together? Definitely not.
    Am I the only one who loves Dave and Alex together?! I mean, they’re amazing! I know she left him at the altar, and yes, it’s horrible, but i can’t help loving them together. There’s so much chemistry between them.

Comment by ItalianGirl1 – June 6, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I don’t know how or why everyone is so gungho for Dave and Penny. It seems very awkward to me… Penny always strikes me as Dave’s older sister… I really hope they explore the Dave and Alex relationship again. They have great chemistry and I was rooting for them as a couple since the first episode.

Comment by Tonk – June 20, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post