American Idol Top 8 Cover Songs From the '80s: Who Were Your Favorites?

joshua ledet jessica sanchezA shining eagle soared, swooped, and exploded into 1,000 points of golden light. A babbling brook ran through a picturesque forest. And a multitude of pocket watches swayed from their vintage chains.

Yes, it was Music of the ’80s night on American Idol, but a concurrent Insane/Ridiculous Backdrops theme ran through it.

Also notable: Stumbles from front-runners Phillip Phillips and Elise Testone, decisive “I’m not done yet!” moments from Skylar Laine and DeAndre Brackensick, and a quartet of duets that were (mostly) superior to the solo performances.

Idology: Heejun Han on Asian Clichés, Cowboy Drama, Hilfiger-Gate and His One Idol Regret

Anyhow, I’ve got to get crackin’ on a full episode recap, which will post on Thursday morning right here at But before I do, let me offer my pithy, pithy thoughts on the evening’s festivities:

Deandre Brackensick: DeBarge’s “I Like It” | A better fit for DeAndre’s voice than any song he’s tackled this season, and his subsequent comfort level was palpable. File under: How DeAndre Got His Groove Back.

American Idol Exclusive: Kris Allen Set to Perform on April 19 Results Show

Elise Testone: Foreigner’s “I Want to Know What Love Is” | I hate to agree with Randy, but she was just under the melody right from the start. Plus, she strained like she was carrying a 50 lb. bag of sugar on her shoulders (or was it just the pressure of suddenly becoming a serious contender)?

Skylar Laine & Colton Dixon: “Islands in the Stream” | Super cute, until Ryan asked if they were dating.

Phillip Phillips: Genesis’ “That’s All”| The judges raved and raved, which made me wonder if I was insane for thinking there wasn’t a single note in tune. Of course, once upon a time folks applauded for a naked emperor, too.

Hollie Cavanagh & DeAndre Brackensick: “I’m So Excited”| See how good Hollie is when she sings something uptempo and playful?

Joshua Ledet: Simply Red’s version of Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes’ “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” | Send Joshua to the hospital — stat! — because he threw down all his major organs on that performance! From the deliberate verse down to the lifted knee on the final chorus, I hearted it so very much.

Jessica Sanchez: Whitney Houston’s “How Will I Know” | Tell me! How do I know (Jessica is destined for the Top 5, at minimum)? Trust her pitch perfection. The only thing missing was a vision of Ms. Aretha in the backdrop.

Elise Testone & Phillip Phillips: “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”| I think I liked this more on paper than I did in reality, which vexes me greatly.

Hollie Cavanagh: Irene Cara’s “Flashdance…What a Feeling” | Hollie took her passion, and hid it under her mattress in the Idol mansion. This was not a good night for a misfire, kid.

Jessica Sanchez & Joshua Ledet: “I Knew You Were Waiting for Me” | Can’t. Type. Flailing. Too. Hard.

Colton Dixon: Cyndi Lauper’s “Time After Time” | Mad props to Colton for amusingly crediting Quiet Drive (who?) with the arrangement (“I completely ripped ’em off!”). And while there’s something about the guy’s voice that doesn’t quite move me, at least he’s willing to try new things — with his hair and his music.

Skylar Laine: Bette Midler’s “Wind Beneath My Wings” | Call me ridiculous (you: “You’re ridiculous!” but I teared up just a little when Skylar raised her sword and slayed the dragon. (Randy Jackson: “That.” “Was.” “A.” “Metaphor.”)

Who were your favorites from Season 11 Top 8 night? Vote in the poll below, then explain your picks in the comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Miscellaneopolan says:

Deandre- I’ve liked Deandre since the beginning, but I’ll admit that he had a rough couple of weeks in the middle there. I thought he had a strong showing last week and I think he continued it this week. He was calm, comfortable, in tune, and in command of the stage. That was a lot of fun and probably my favorite performance of the night.
    Elise- I had flashbacks to her performance of I’m Your Baby Tonight when the judges called her out for timing issues that weren’t there. This wasn’t her best performance, but she did pretty well and I didn’t hear nearly as many pitch problems as Randy did.
    Phillip- It was Phillip. He sounded a lot like he usually does, which is pretty good if strangely angry.
    Joshua- The first half was great; nice and relaxed. He went over the top in the second half and lost the connection to the song. I was so hoping the judges wouldn’t stand up for this, and then they did and I was sad.
    Bebe Chez- 80s-licious! I loved the clothes, I loved the tune, and I loved the attitude. Maybe she wasn’t moving around as much as she could have been but I’m very glad she’s gotten over the idea that she should only do ballads.
    Hollie- It was a little rough watching the judges rip Hollie a new one, but they had some salient points. Even when she sings a fun song, she still doesn’t look like she’s having much fun. And what’s with the pitch issues? She didn’t have pitch issues when the competition started. Maybe the competition is putting a strain on her voice?
    Colton- Something in Colton just makes me want to mock him, but all the snark in the world won’t undo the fact that the performance was well-conceived and effectively realized. Colton, see you in the finale.
    Skylar- Heartfelt and straightforward. I don’t think it was worth a standing ovation, but it was very strong. I don’t know why everyone’s acting like they’ve never heard Skylar sing a sensitive ballad before, though. I remember Where Do Broken Hearts Go.
    Randy- This guy was sure in his ridiculous element tonight. Name-dropping left and right, trying to develop a new catchphrase right before our eyes, and saying things like I Wanna Know What Love Is is “one of the greatest songs in the world.” I reacted more strongly to his performance than I did to Hollie’s.

• brutal truth says:

Who are the judges trying to fool? Absolutely nnnooo individuality describes Skylar.

• Michael,
        I know you are behind Joshua and Jessica and though they are both great singers , neither is presenting themselves are current and relevant artists.
        You may not be up for Colton but in truth he is the only singer left that you could take out on the road and not need to put up a disclaimer that he or she is part of an Idol tour to explain away their poor performance.
        Lets be honest okay ,,
        Elise , is not consistent and goes from being good to awful from week to week.
        Phiip , is growl face , if it did not work the last time what makes you think it is better this year.
        Joshua, good vocal but he comes off like an Off Broadway DIVA.
        Jessica, good Broadway headliner in the making.
        Hollie, really sweet girl meant for traveling theater shows and singing at Ballparks.
        Skylar, maybe an opening act for a more polished concert group.
        Colton, All the makings to headline and sell records but not as a full out mainstream pop or country artist.

• HollyFan says:

Joseph, the people that are successful on Broadway can actually act. Please don’t confuse singers with actors because 99 percent of singers can’t play dead.

• darcy's evil twin says:

And dance – don’t forget you have to dance to be on Broadway.

• marie says:

Thank you; I was about to say the same thing.

• MusicGrrrl says:

Quite a few Idol alumni have gone on to Broadway including Clay Aiken, Fantasia, Taylor Hicks, and Constantine Maroulis. So Joseph is probably not in error when he predicts that some singers will go on to do Broadway. And I don’t believe any of them had a dance background.

• chamber says:

Colton may have a current look but he missed the boat on emo-ish whiny voices.

I would say jessica has some current appeal she is a urban R&B .singer, which the last time i checked was still one of the biggest genres out there now. Plus not to mention that it is one of Interscopes specialties. All she needs is one featuring in a popular rappers song and her career can take off. .

• Lee says:

If you don’t think Adele is CURRENT, then I agree with you that Jessica is out of it. However, Adele IS current and so is Jessica.

• jb says:

Jessica is no Adele.

• Sandi says:

• Bobbi says:

Less Adele but more J Hudson, Rihanna, and Beyonce all quite current. Most of Jessica’s personal youtube songs are more current than the Idol themes have allowed her to cover.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Yeah,I’m a little baffled by those who don’t think Jessica can have a hit album or be a “current” recording artist. She has a terrific pop voice perfect for everything from hot dance tracks to soulful ballads. She’s like Rhianna, but she can sing WAY better. I agree that Colton could be hugely successful as well, but Jessica is at least in his league, if not out of it.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I’m a little baffled by those who think Jessica CAN’T have a hit album. Whoops-ee-daisy. That bit is kind of important.

• Tarc says:

I haven’t seen anyone say she can’t. What she’s singing on Idol is NOT current, and there is no indication what kind of music she would sing if given a chance – because doing ancient power ballads is not going to fly. She’s young, has a few issues to address, and there is still no focus there. I think she’s a very talented girl, but that’s got to translate into an appealing, marketable package that is current – and that’s just to attract good enough writers to bother even making a record (because in the end, all the vocal talent in the world doesn’t matter if the song is bad).

• Sally in Chicago says:

This was a so-so show. Everybody was in key, but there was no “wow” moment.As for Dre, get ready because he’s going to the top 5. He has a big following. The girls love him.

• Templar says:

ITA. Deandre really has more star power than the rest of the pack. If they can dissuade him from relying on that falsetto, his numbers will climb.

• Medic says:

First, props to Colton for actually admitting he made the arrangement up when he heard it on the radio (those in the music biz know what I’m talking about). Next, Mr. Slezak, I believe what vexes you about his voice isn’t really his voice but his phrasing. I like the guy and I think he could’ve knocked one out of the park with a U2 number from the ’80s (he does sound a lot like Bono,”With or Without You”, “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”, “Sunday Bloody Sunday”, “October” were all ’80’s releases I think “Mysterious Ways” just misses the cut), but (and there always is a but), his phrasing leaves too many lyrics open which makes them less powerful. Colton if I could give you one piece of advice that’d win you the competition it would be; learn to close your mouth when you sing the letters b, m and p and learn how to properly breath through your f, j, v and y’s.

• tewence says:

you took the words RIGHT out of my mouth about colton! what is “tiwe after tiiiowe”???

• susela says:

If he wasn’t so freakin’ clenched up, he would be able to actually move his mouth and articulate. He is the least relaxed singer I’ve ever seen.

• Stephie says:

OMG – Exactly. I have mad love for Colton, but I thought, “What’s up with Time after Time?” It sounded like he had a bad cold or something.

• smoltish says:

Randy – ugh. What was with constantly blurting “Gotta Have It!”? Isn’t that the biggest size of ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery? Is he just excreting soundbites from commercials now?

• marie says:

Well, let’s see. “Season One-One!” didn’t catch on. “S/he’s in it to win it!” didn’t make waves. “Sang the I-don’t know-what outta it!” flopped. Let’s see if this one works!

• GDV says:

What was with the song choices last night? Of all the incredibly amazing 80s songs, we get THIS compilation?

• Jake says:

Hollie is steadily declining at this point- especially last night. I expected a “robotic” comment to come up, because Hollie was so rehearsed in doing what one would expect to do in a “fun” performance: Interact playfully and/or dance with one of the musicians? Check. Twirl around like a little girl to show your youthfulness? Check. Use every part of the stage to build presence? Check. Except all of this was done with the vivaciousness of a potted plant.
      She has a great voice, but when you look like you hate having to entertain, it sort of negates the vocals.

2. Should be interesting who goes home tomorrow. I feel that the judges will be itching to use that Judge’s Save tomorrow. Seems about that time. I mean if J.Lo wanted to save Heejun, then I can’t imagine who she wouldn’t want to save

3. k. says:

I loved Skylar tonight. I hate that song, but I thought she did a great job with it.

I really really really wanted Hollie to do well tonight, but it just wasn’t enough. And that makes me sad.

Top 3:
    Colton (nice shout out to Minnesota band Quietdrive!!!)
    Phillip (The growly thing is getting a little old…but in the beginning…that was damn sexy.)

Bottom 3: Deandre, Elise (she better not go home though), and Hollie. I hope Deandre goes home but I think it will be Hollie.

• forrest says:

Please send Deandre home. It’s just not clicking for me. Hollie will be in the bottom 3 just from the judges comments. Elise better be carried through based on last week’s performance. It wasn’t her greatest this week, but she deserves to continue in the competition. Colton did a great turnaround of an industry standard. Phillip is just Phillip and that’ll probably carry him to the final 3. Ugh. Excellent performance show once again with the duets. Just waiting for someone to forget the words because so much is expected each week with multiple performances.

• betsybug says:

I’m thinking that Quietdrive stole THEIR arrangement from The Hooters, since Rob Hyman of The Hooters co-wrote “Time After Time” and played on Cyndi Lauper’s She’s So Unusual album.

• k. says:

Its true that both Quietdrive’s (and thereby Colton’s) performance are closer to Hooters, but I still get heavy 80s synth from Hyman, where QD brings in more of the moody contemporary rock into the song (as did Colton). Could just be my MN pride speaking. :)

Regardless all versions I personally enjoy.

• j. says:

Just re-watched a couple of those performances, and …..
      Concerning Hollie, I think she was probably hurt by the staging. Jimmy kinda mentioned it in the rehearsal, but “What a Feeling” has a really “in your face” climax. Hollie was doing this playful thing in a frilly costume. I think she should have been “grunge”; maybe leather (but used that for the duet). Could have accented better with the lighting too.
      A far as the judges, they were all pretty much a waste of space this week.
      Last weeks performances must have drained the life out of everybody.

• Cindy says:

I think Hollie is overwhelmed by the rude comments from the judges. She can’t take it like Haley did. She gets worse and worse because she is trying so hard. Yet, they think Deandre is great and Joshua gets a standing O? The judges are worse than worthless this year.

4. Lo says:

While “Wind Beneath My Wings” is a heinous song, I think Skylar killed it. She desperately needed a big moment and she got it. I think Hollie and Elise are definitely going to be in the B3. Hollie missed her chance to show that she can shine on an uptempo song. It reminds me of last year when everyone kept telling Pia to go uptempo and then when she finally did, the judges criticized her and she went home. Maybe the judges would use the save on Hollie?

• PFitzDC says:

I agree–I absolutely loathe Wind Beneath My Wings, but Skylar was fantastic…I might have to buy it on iTunes. And THAT is truly a miracle!

• jaxguy says:

how old are your people? 12? you don’t have to love the song, but loath? It’s a beautiful song. So many people today are so hard they hate everything really beautiful. That’s exactly why a really great singer hasn’t won Idol in years.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m in my 50s and I just don’t like Wind Beneath My Wings. Maybe it’s because I’m old and I hear it at too many funerals.

• Jake says:

DET- Did you ever know that you’re my hero, and everything I would like to be? I can fly higher than an eagle cuz you are the wind beneath my wings.

• Marsaili says:

I’m 46 and I don’t like Wind Beneath my Wings—it was SO overplayed in the 80’s, in the 90’s. Bette Midler songs are typically cheesy ballads (although, I have to say I LOVED The Rose) that go along with cheesy movies—-but I really liked it tonight, I thought Skylar actually took the cheese out of it.

• Marsaili says:

Although I have to say, Bette Midler’s albums from her shows are actually really good—she’s not all cheese. Just wanted to clarify that before someone who actually knows what I am talking about screams “HOW COULD YOU—CHEESE?” at me! ;-)

• TheBeach says:

Count me in too as someone who didn’t come down with yesterday’s rain and I, too, do not like the maudlin “Wind Beneath My Wings”. I understand what you mean about some of Midler’s singles but having been to 3 of her concerts back in the 70s and 80s, no one puts on a better show.

• darcy's evil twin says:

@Beach – I loved Bette Midler when she sang with The Harlettes and yes, you’re correct, very few people put on a better show. Some of her later radio-ready ballads were not my favorites but her concerts in the 70s were hard to beat. (I’ll tell you who else put on a great concert and shocked me – Barry Manilow. A date took me to see him 100 years ago and I thought, “seriously?”. But he was very good, funny, and engaging. I’ve been a fan ever since).

• susela says:

I too have always found the song completely cheesy—but Skylar brought tears to my eyes! Am I getting soft in my dotage, or did she just really kill it?

• dan says:

Wind Beneath My Wings is a great song. Who cares if it’s sappy as hell, the movie was too, but they were choice schmaltz. And Skylar did a great job. This is a great season of Idol.

• marie says:

I’m in my late middle age and I too find the song unlistenable. One person’s “beautiful” is another’s “hideous.” Skyelar did as much as she could with it, but I personally wish she had chosen another song/

• kcostell says:

After being majorly disappointed with Skylar last week, it was really great to see her nail a song like that this week. The connection, it was back!

5. sneakin says:

I was with you on the tearing up for Skylar. I was also with you on wondering if I heard some totally different song than the judges with Phillip. But I happened to LOVE Stop Dragging My Heart Around.

• TheBeach says:

Yep, I like Phillip but he was terrible tonight and missed more notes than he hit. And for the judges to lavish all that praise on him after ripping Elise a new one was beyond ridiculous. I was actually insulting to the viewer. I enjoyed Elise and Phillip’s duet.

• TheBeach says:

• darcy's evil twin says:

Beach – you wrote nearly the same thing I did! Great minds think alike.
        Elise did look lovely tonight. I love the blonder hair.

• Marianne says:

I’ve never cared for Phillip, and think he was really bad tonight in his solo. The duet was okay, but I dislike his contortions. It’s all way too Dave M for me.

• Lana says:

I know the name Dave Matthews but I don’t know him or his music, but the way everyone is comming down on Phillip for being like him, Dave must be horrible and should quit singing. As for Phillip, I think he is great.

• Tarc says:

Dave Matthews is great, current, popular, and makes a boatload of cash touring. Phillips sometimes sounds a little like him, but he also sounds a bit like several other people – but mostly he sounds like himself. As Jimmy, Stevie, and pretty much everyone in music that’s guested on Idol agrees, P2 is terrific.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I actually like P2 better than Dave Matthews. I’ve never been a Dave Matthews fan. I sure can’t explain this, though.
            Last Wednesday The Tonight Show was on in the other room. I heard someone performing and I wondered why P2 was on Jay Leno already. It wasn’t Friday and he hadn’t been kicked off of Idol. So I walked into the family room to see who was on TV. It was Gavin DeGraw singing his new single, “Sweeter” (do they still call them singles?). I think P2 is pretty “current” whether you like him or not.

• Jo March says:

Hearing the judges trash Elise and then praise PP who sounded just awful, I turned off the TV again. I was just trying to watch the show again after a long haitus which I put into effect because I can’t stand the judges. Since I like Michael’s recaps and Idology, I thought I would give the show a try again. Nope, couldn’t take more than 15 minutes. I guess as long as people watch the show there will be no change in the judges.

• Tarc says:

P2 was ok, but Genesis always sounds dated now, and he did hit a couple bad phrases. I LOVED (loved, loved) his duet with Elise – that was the best of the night. There’s no way he’ll be in the bottom.

• nikkiqm says:

@ Tarc … Phillips duet was the best of the night to you? I feel like we were watching a different show. Joshua and Jessicas duet was the best of the night in my opinion. I’m trying to understand Phils appeal but just don’t. He sounded so strained when he was singing last night, had pitch and breath issues and looks constipated when he sings. You constantly bring up mentors praising Phil but they have also praised Jessica, Joshua, and Colton repeatedly. Maybe if Phil would have sung something different like Guns and Roses his performance could have worked but last night was his worst night for me.

• Tarc says:

Yeah, I’ve seen we have different opinions several times here and there – which is fine. The Jessica/Joshua duet was flat for me, and it’s a rare performance when Joshua’s voice doesn’t go grating for me 60 seconds into the 90 second performance. Jessica’s going to be great – when she matures a bit. I know that she’s just 16, but she still comes off as young and a little pagenty. I’ll agree that Phillip’s solo last night wasn’t great by any measure – but I think it was a combination of things inclusing just a bad night (maybe he was feeling ill). Elise just picked a mega-tough song and didn’t deliver. But their duet was amazing, and I’m not a Petty fan. I mention Phil being praised by the pros and mentors because their comments are a level above those they’ve been giving the others. But again, I agree with you it was his worst solo performance, but still see it as middle of the pack compared to the others (Hollie, Deandre, and Elise specifically). In the end, neither Elise or Phliip will go home tonight (one way or another).

6. Renda says:

Bottom three performances were Hollie, Phillip, and Elise (although I love Elise). It’s frustrating that Elise got pitch critiques, but Phillip (who was pitchy and had breath control issues) got nothing but praise. I think Hollie should go home, the other two have shown me they can win and she hasn’t yet. Although I applaud her for going uptempo though.

7. Annie says:

Jessica and Joshua’s duet was amazing, as was Elise and Phillip’s. I think that Jessica and Joshua could make the top two.

8. sam says:

I hope the bottom 2 is elise and deandre. I hope it’s not hollie even though she didn’t sing that song that well. Colton was amazing!

9. karenb says:

Best of the night: Deandre
    Needs to go tomorrow: Hollie

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Completely agree. I know that Deandre isn’t the most popular contestant around here, but he was terrific! So fluid and funky and fun! He made it look very, very easy and I loved it.
      Hollie, on the other hand, looked stiff as a board throughout her entire performance, and what was with that shredded bluebird outfit she was wearing? Nice try, good show, but it’s time for her to go. I hope she doesn’t get a pass this week based on Elise’s less-than-terrific showing.

• TheBeach says:

I kinda liked Hollie’s dress…sort of a good-girl’s Tina Turner. She just couldn’t fill it out like Tina:)

• Andy J says:

I think they raided the wardrobe closet of “Dancing With the Stars” for Hollie’s dress tonight.

• darcy's evil twin says:

THIS! Several people have already commented on the dress and I thought, good grief, why do they keep putting these young girls in Lawrence Welk/DWTS outfits?????
          Hollie should have been wearing leg warmers, a torn t-shirt, and a sweatband. And oh yea, she should have had a big red pit bull as a prop. :-)
          Now THAT would have been cool!

• Miscellaneopolan says:

That is a GREAT idea. Jessica 80s-ed it up with her wardrobe. Why not Hollie? I fear that Hollie, who has gone on record saying she’s a fan of sparkly, shimmery dresses, was offered something like what you describe and then got distracted by that frilly nightmare in magpie-like fashion.

• 5talentgirl says:

Agreed, though Skylar was really good yesterday, too.

10. Amy says:

As much as I absolutely hate Wing Beneath My Wings, Skylar made me like it. I too teared up a bit at the end. I loved that she proved she can do the big ballad too.

11. gailer says:

loved deandre!

12. TheBeach says:

Well, I guess maybe I drank the crabby juice but I thought this was a disappointing night in most all accounts. I was looking forward to it being good but for me it was just a really off night. That being said, the absolute worst part of the evening was one Randy Jackson. There have been many times when I would have thrown something through the screen if I didn’t like my TV so much but tonight I thought his ridiculousness reached new heights. I would gladly have paid a tow truck to hitch itself to his more than ample posterior and drag him off this show forever. Sorry for the rant.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh, stop drinking the crabby juice! I thought Deandre was very good and Randy actually gave him some solid comments and then Randy went back to being, well, Randy. Okay, on second thought, I’ll have what you’re having.
      I loved Joshua’s suit on the duet with Jessica. I liked Joshua’s performance of “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” even though it got a little screamy at the end. I believe Teddy Pendergrass sang he lead on the original Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes version. But I did NOT play bass on that song. Maybe Randy did. Who knows. ;-)

• Yo' says:

Joshua will go long, for sure, and he deserves to. Some technique Jessica uses reminds me so much of Beyonce that she bugs me; it is kind of like she holds the note in her mouth and throat, giving herself more air and a different sound. Jessica is derivative, like most art. Always. Skylar sounded good this week; it was an opportunity to really appreciate her and I did – especially the duet, which she made look easy.

• Thomas says:

Joshua has that special something that the other contestants don’t have…it’s called the X FACTOR a true god given gift to this competition.

• FreeHaley says:

13. gailer says:

forgot to add, i have liked colton since the beginning, but lately i have noticed, hes really not that great of a singer…..he just picks awesome songs

• ET says:

I agree with you, but isn’t that a big part of it??? I mean, most of the hit songs you hear on the radio now aren’t really sung all that well, but the songs speak for themselves….

• Leo says:

Not that great of a singer? That pretty much describes most of the singers in radio these days.
        Prediction from the review? Hollie will bite the dust and The Judges will use their save.

• Mary says:

I think Hollie will be the one to go unless her fan base power voted last night, but there is no way the judges will save her after they thru her under the bus last night. I agree it wasn’t her best but I thought they were down right cruel and they said nothing about PP shi..y song.

• Marianne says:

Colton’s voice is MAYBE as good as our neighbor kid’s who used to sing in a mediocre garage-band.

• Chris says:

Yeah. I think Colton is talented but feel he’ll do best with his own material or songs that are written in his vocal keys.

14. kal says:

If it’s deandre or elise, I hope they don’t use their save because the next 7 are too good

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I’ll bet the bottom 2 will be Elise and Hollie. If Hollie gets the lowest number of votes, I think they should let her go. She’s never had a real moment on the show and her performance quality seems to be somehow declining. Elise didn’t have a great night, but she’s at least proven that she can rock it out in the past.

15. carly m. says:

The quietdrive cover is amazing. It’s a little techno influenced. I haven’t watched my DVR’d episodes yet, but it’s a little strange to me to think of Colton pulling it off live.

16. JimmyJ says:

How about that Nike commercial?!?

17. dilia says:

1)Colton- b+
    2)Skylar- b+ also but i like coltons song choice better
    3)Deandre- b
    4)jessica- b also but more boring
    5)Josh- b-
    6)elise- c+
    7)phillip- c
    8)hollie- c-

1)Jessica, Joshua- A
    2)Skylar, Colton- b+
    3)Phillip, Elise- b
    4)Deandre, Hollie- c

overall the night wasnt terrible but i thought it was only ok

18. Dave says:

That duet by Jessica and Joshua was incredible.

• Tarc says:

I didn’t think so. I thought that the Elise/Phliip duet was better. Of course, I wasn’t as thrilled with Jessica and Joshua’s solos either (though they were better than Elise and Phillip). Overall, it was a really very mediocre night.

19. Christina says:

The duets definitely overshadowed some of the solos for me. Especially Jessica’s and Joshua’s.

• Bobbi says:

Jessica upped her game around Joshua. I thought it was funny when Joshua went into his first big run and Jessica’s body language was like, ” Oh, it’s like THAT huh!” then it was on. One of the best performances for both. Glad she went uptempo but missed a great chance to cover Chaka Khan. Needs to stay away from Beyonce and Whitney

Too bad about Hollie. I thought she should have picked “Gloria” by Laura Brannigan because she sounds great and comfortable in that range. Her ‘Borderline’ segment last week was terrific.

Deandre must have been reading these threads because he picked an El DeBarge song. Good choice!

Was looking forward to Joshua tackling Terence Trent dArby’s ” Dance Little Sister” or ” Wishing Well” but he did good as always. His ‘Jar of Hearts’ cover would be my itunes buy if it was available. I vote he do a duet with Jessica every week until final two!

Elise was not served well by the rest of the people on stage. I found the arrangement fighting with her as others have noted elsewhere.

Skylar picked a good song, event though I agree with any others, that song was ubiquitous during the 80’s.

Philip did alright but I think he gave his brother in law a side glance that was like ” Bro! turn your guitar down” in the opening.

20. llws says:

The judges are becoming annoying….Hollie was NOT as terrible as they kept on harping on that she was. I really hope that she;s not going home, I think now it’s really in her head about judges wanting to see her having fun…it may be getting to her. But I hope she stays this week, she has a great great voice…she deserves another chance to blow it out of the box.

Elise….please just send her home….her voice has been half half since the beginning of the season…just not here for her bizarre pitching

• ET says:

I hate to disagree with you, but Hollie has never been all that good. She tries way too hard and just doesn’t have the confidence to deliver the stunning performance she really needs to get back in the competition.

• jaxguy says:

she has a great voice, but I think she feels she has to try too hard and it causes her singing to suffer. Too bad. She’s a cute kid.

• C says:

Even my daughter asked me last night why they keep throwing her under the bus. I think they see her as a threat to their already anointed Jessica.

• Leila says:

Hollie had no connection to the song and moved awkwardly around the stage. The styling didn’t help.

21. dbaj says:

Thought Colton sounded incredibly nasal. Upsetting that Elise will likely land in the Bottom 3, given last week’s amazing performance, but she definitely faltered tonight.

• nikkiqm says:

I so agree with you. Colton was Sooo nasal that my husband who never watches the show walked in and told me that he sounds terrible.

• Betsy says:

He sang “dime after dime”, like his nose was stopped up.

• Gorm says:

Well put. I think he has a second mouth in his sinuses that he sings with and the main one is merely a vehicle for smiling. He must also have a tiny third mouth for eating because lookit them chicken legs!

• C says:

Maybe he has a cold or allergy problems. Besides, isn’t slurring the words the way pop music is done these days?

• Ray says:

I thought the same thing about Colton sounding nasal, and it was really noticeable.

22. Dave says:

Does Hollie remind anyone else of Olivia Newton-John?

23. NJloonie says:

Colton was very nasally tonight – he sounded like one of Jimmy Fallon’s impersonations. And Phillip, when he is not growling, cannot sing very well. Elise, altho I am rooting for her, was very raspy in the quieter parts of the song when she needs to sound pretty. DeAndre and Skylar were the best of the night. Joshua was good too, but he has to watch the constant rasp too. I think Hollie will be the one to go, and there will be no judges’ save.

24. Rick says:

Really tired of Deandre, his Falsetto and his hair flipping, GAWD! Please send him home. I really think Hollie can have a break thru performance next week. She is clearly rattled but she has the pipes to dig herself out given one more chance but I’m afraid she’s going home. Elise is the only one that they will save tomorrow if she hits bottom. She’s def in the bottom 3.

25. Well, looks like the judges are all on board with continuing the vagicide. My thoughts:

Deandre – Very good job, although I never really look forward to his next week’s performance like I do for some others. He deserves to stick around this week though.
    Elise – Not her best. Not by a wide margin. In danger.
    Phillip – Was good, but as the season progresses, I feel his lack of versatility vs. Colton is really highlighted. Might start to lose some of the power voter fan girls but he is in no danger.
    Joshua – Was good, but the oversinging is a bit much for my taste. Still, he always has the potential to be awesome and I look forward to that potential every week.
    Jessica – Good change of pace and nice to show versatility with something up beat. She is always strong, so it really takes a mindboggling perfomance for her to over-achieve the high expectations.
    Hollie – I thought the singing was better than the judges’ assessment, but it is pretty clear she is not the whole package. Yikes on that outfit! Looks like she is being thrown under the bus!
    Colton – Great song for him and he worked it well. Another week or two and I can see him taking over Phillip’s #1 spot.
    Skylar – Did not think it was worthy of the overpraising – I felt like she was trying to pound her finger through the chest of the person she’s singing too. That is not how a sweet ballad is supposed to sound. There is no anger in that song!

B3 – Deandre, Elise, Hollie. Elise gets the save and I am ok with that as I loved the 8 solo and 4 duet format!

• Ray says:

I too thought the judges were throwing Holly under the bus.

• junebug says:

Holly’s throwing herself under the bus.

• Judy says:

I didn’t see any comments above regarding the nappytab name drop. so, tabitha and napoleon are doing choreography mentoring? that i would love to see some footage (ha!) of. I wonder how much better Hollie’s performances might be if she wasnt wearing quite such high heels… my enjoyment would certainly be greater if I didnt spend the whole time expecting her to trip over herself.

• HudsonRiverside says:

The stylist has the two shorties wearing very high heels, which is why both of them appear more mechanical wading thru the dry ice.

• Tarc says:

Phliip did try to change it up tonight and do a slow song, but he picked Genesis (always sounds dated) and he was off-pitch here and there. Considering that his duet was dead on, his earpiece might have been messing him up. (Or the odd arrangment). His duet was the best of the night.

• John says:

“I felt like she was trying to pound her finger through the chest of the person she’s singing too” (sic)

OMG … that is the perfect description for how I felt as she screamed that song. Too loud, too vocally punctuated and just too angry.

26. Marilyn says:

I didn’t think Elise was bad at all. Liked it and became totally bitchy when they sort of ripped her. She may have been a little under, but she was better than Phillip, and DeAndre and, excuse me because people will wonder what I’m thinking, but Skylar. Joshua – fantastic. Jessica – great but she just doesn’t move me; I don’t get that she feels her lyric. Hollie- terrible for Hollie and I love her. Colton was OK, but Colton doing Colton. Loved the Phillip/Elise duel and really loved Joshua and Jessica. The other two – OK.

Here’s my take on the whole night- Randy really, really has to go because he just makes me cranky. The man can’t speak any kind of English and Jennifer rambles and rambles. Although sometimes I agree with Steven and sometimes I don’t, at least he keeps it short.

• TheBeach says:

Agree. I don’t think it was Elise’s best but it wasn’t nearly as awful as the judges said. Although the song is overdone, I wish she had stuck to her original choice of “Hallelujah”. And yes, Randy often ruins the show for me.

• FreeHaley says:

+1 they were extra harsh on Elise and Hollie considering what they said about Phillip and Skylar, etc. they are clearly afraid of losing skylar before those two so it was all 100% expected, I predicted it all before the show began. It’s too bad Elise was a little flat on some notes, she gave them ammo to run with.

Randy,JLo,Nigel ruin it all. I’ve skipped much of this season because of them.

And yeah the problem with Jessica I think is that she doesn’t feel the lyric, she sings very well, but something is missing and it;s the something that makes the greats great. It wasn’t infectious like Whitney’s version (nor as well sung, but that’s not really fair) since she didn’t connect and add the little this or that to bring that out. She is only 16 day. The connection sometimes evolves with age and experience, although some are just born with, many of the great are, although some greats do simply need time to grow into it. She does hit notes well though.

• Sheri says:

Why can’t JLo stop giggling like a 12 year old, she’s almost as annoying as Randy. I’m with Michael on the lousy backdrops. Don’t need the words to “Time After Time” on the screen behind Colton or watches and clocks behind Elise.
          The show is trying too hard to look hi-tech and it just looks cheap and cheesy

27. Resa says:

Phillip, keep away from Phil Collins! He doesn’t do you any favors kiddo… I want to see what P2 growls out when he’s not just switching up other people’s songs, but he won’t have the chance if he’s eliminated early and doesn’t get a contract.
    Hollie and DeAndre, the network is conspiring against you both…

28. Marsaili says:

My favorites didn’t have a stellar night, Elise–I wish she had gone with Hallelujah, even though I think that should be on the list of “songs that should never be sung on Idol again”, I think it would have shown a softer side and it would have showcased her beautiful voice. I think she’ll be back in the bottom 3 tomorrow, but she’ll be safe.
    Phillip—with all the possibilities from the 80’s–Genesis? Again? Oh my heart.
    Hollie–I was hopeful for her–I don’t think she was as bad as the judges said, but she was sharp for much of the song. I think she’s going home tomorrow, unfortunately.
    DeAndre–I LOVED hearing him sing in his lower range. I feel the falsetto should be used for OOMMPH, not constantly. But he did a great job tonight. I still think he’s going to be in the bottom 3, but he’ll be safe.
    JOSHUA!!! I love me some Joshua!!
    Jessica sang the song very well. She had a good night—but I picture Whitney singing it and how peppy she was and then I see Jessica—I think she should have put more of her teeny-bopper self into the song—it asks for it!
    Colton—I really liked what he did with that song, and I liked that he ADMITTED to totally ripping it off!
    Skylar—She KILLED it and I HATE that song, LOL! Well, I hated it, I like it now ;-)

I thought all the duets were great, I love Stop Dragging My Heart Around the best–I thought they sounded great together and I thought Phillip did a great job of harmonizing in his own way.

Randy, ugh. Why doesn’t Jennifer punch HIM????? PLEASE!!

• Marsaili says:

I just watched Hollie again—and I have to say– I was wrong. She was not sharp for most of the song—she had 2 moments of pitchiness—the rest was fine.

• FreeHaley says:

exactly, i don’t know why they got all over her for pitch and every other thing, the pitch wasn’t bad and she really hit some notes for the latter half out of the park (even if the first half was kind of meh, but so was the first two-thirds plus of skylar, even more meh, and they praised her to the heaven’s)

• HudsonRiverside says:

There was also that odd delay for the equipment or stage setup and Ryan talking to Hollie. They shoud not let Ryan interact with the singer right before they perform when it s not part of the script. Ryan coud have chatted with audence guests and allowed Hollie to fully focus on that opening on stage.

29. darcy's evil twin says:

NOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Not the Gospel Choir on Foreigner! Oh, there is just ten kinds of crazystupid in there.
    I was a bit stunned by the criticism Elise had to endure. What was up with Randy saying Elise was pitchy? Really? The same guy that throught Lee Who Sings Off-Key was the greatest thing since sliced bread thought Elise was pitchy? I backed up the DVR and made my husband listen to Elise. He didn’t hear pitch problems, but when Phillip sang he asked me where the pitch problem criticism was for THIS guy. I didn’t think it was Elise’s best performance but it was better than the judges thought it was.
    LOVED the growlfest between P2 and Elise on “Stop Dragging My Heart Around”. Yay!

• Marsaili says:

I’m watching it again—well, listening to it again, and I agree, Elise had a couple pitchy issues but it wasn’t as bad as they judges said it was. Don’t they use the gospel choir for that song in the original Foreigner version? I loved SDMHA too—Elise and Phillip should do more together—they have chemistry like Haley and Casey did and their voices and styles compliment each other.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Yes, Foreigner even had a gospel choir at their concerts. Didn’t like it then. Still don’t.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

A gospel choir is not Elise’s friend; she’s not the kind of singer who can scream over them. We need the backing to be quiet enough to hear her do all her vocal gymnastics. Leave the gospel stuff to Joshua and maybe Jessica.
      Elise and Phillip are pretty well-matched musically! They were fun.

• Jessica T. says:

@darcy’s evil twin – I don’t post much, but I always look for your posts. Plus the fact that you have my fav character’s name in your handle.

I totally agree. I didn’t hear many consistent pitch problems with Elise, just a couple notes hear and there. I was really disappointed by this choice. For whatever reason, it didn’t come off well. Maybe since she wasn’t around in the 80’s, she doesn’t realize just how cheezie these songs were? Listening to the originals is nostalgic occasionally, but even nostalgia wouldn’t drive me to pay to see a Foreigner/Boston/Richard Marx bill at the local Native American casino. I think the song sounded a bit fresher with Elise’s female voice (wonderful voice), but the arrangement was too close to the original. I think it needed to be dressed down to an acoustic number. It needs a David Cook-job on it.

As for Hollie, poor thing, her performance was pretty darn good. I am not pitch perfect, but I didn’t hear the consistently flat thing. Maybe it was easier to hear in person? I think Hollie has confidence problems, which the judges are making worse. When that happens, she falls back on technique, which isn’t quite enough. Now if you injected a bit of Skylar’s animation and confidence into Hollie, you might have close to the perfect contestant.

I liked P2’s arrangement of the Genesis song. Somehow he makes everything sound unique and current, but something was dreadfully wrong with the pitch. It was almost like something went wrong on the soundboard and he wasn’t hearing what he should’ve heard through his monitor. I think P2 will shine as the front man in a band. He has to get ride of the hunch back contortions though. It’s ugly and it does a number on his voice.

30. Amanda says:

Philip seems like a nice guy, and he is cute. But like Scotty last year, all of his songs are sounding the same. Unlike Scotty, he has some personality and doesn’t hold the microphone in a weird way. I agree with the person that said that it seems like Hollie is being “thrown under the bus”. Her voice isn’t as technically smooth as Jessica’s, but she has a lot of power. While I like the song, I think she could have picked a better one. Ditto with Elise. Really? “I Wanna Know What Love Is?” COME ON. I was a bit disappointed with Colton, but I think he’ll go much further.

31. Elena says:

Favorites tonight: DeAndre (surprisingly) and Skylar (wow!)

Least favorites: P2 (off pitch and it’s always the same, it’s just a shame, that’s all), Hollie (nice vocals that didn’t fit the song, lack of connection with the song), Colton (meh tonight)

Wanted to love but couldn’t: Elise (sadly, a misfire), Joshua (too overwrought), Jessica (pitch perfect but didn’t move me)

Bottom three (not necessarily MY bottom three): DeAndre, Elise, Hollie

Going home: Hollie

32. Angela says:

Skylar and Colton’s “Islands in the Stream” was probably the best performance of the night overall. And they both didn’t do too badly on their individual performances (Colton was the best of the males tonight in particular). The duets overall were better than a lot of the individual performances (except for “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”. Yeah, agreed, that one kinda clunked out, which ticked me off since I like Tom Petty).

Elise’s song was…eeeeesh. And Phil’s performance-he sounded better in rehearsal than he did on stage. Another one that “sounded better on paper”. And Joshua still shrieks. Sorry. Don’t get the praise, every time he seems to be going way overboard with the songs to my ears. Tone it down for once, please.

• TheBeach says:

I thought Skylar and Colton harmonized well on their duet but there was no connection, no eye contact with each other. They didn’t seem to be singing “to” each other.

• Marsaili says:

I agree, I was mentioning that to my son earlier–but with Joshua and Jessica. Joshua tried really hard to sing “to” Jessica, she’d look at him for a second and then look away. Maybe it’s her age, I guess it could be hard for a young kid to sing a love song to someone, it could be uncomfortable. I felt the same with Skylar and Colton–if you are singing a love song—sing TO each other, not to the camera or the audience!

• TheBeach says:

You bet. Like Haley and Casey did on “Moanin'” last year. Now that’s how it’s done.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Amen! that was a wonderful duet. One of my favorites.

• Marsaili says:

I would LOVE to have that recording! Casey and Haley just have this chemistry that is so perfect, have you seen their video for “Baby it’s Cold Outside”? I think all the kids from this year should watch that and “Moanin” before going on stage to do duets.

• Stephie says:

I thought the exact thing…they should have been singing TO each other, and they were singing to the camera instead. My favorite AI duet was Adam & Allison, they rocked it together, and sang like a duet!

33. Gina says:

My favorite was voted off so I no longer have someone I’m actively rooting for. And I will never pick up the phone to vote again since it’s a losing battle. But, I hate the judges’ nonsense. I mean, they threw poor Hollie totally under the bus tonight. Again, with the listen to me, lighten up, lighten up stuff and then Jennifer, tonight–in the same feedback session is telling her to trust her own heart and not listen, although…listening to experts is good but…loosen up! Let yourself go! WHAT???? I felt for Hollie because I saw the same flash of recognition that she was well and truly screwed right when Ms. Auto-tune was yammering away.
    And, then, you have Jessica, who–to me–shows absolutely no originality whatsoever. Never deviates or brings anything new to the songs and has a marked shrillness to her voice but she’s perfection! Why? Because she throws in 50 runs in one 3 minute song? This is the trouble with today’s music. Runs (pun totally intended).
    And, one other thing. “Vote for who could win. Vote for the entire package.” IF I ever were to vote again, I would vote for my favorite–the person whose voice touches my heart (EVP…sniff). I don’t give a damn if you don’t think they are marketable. As judges, it was up to YOU ineffectual lot to pick people who you felt had the entire package. The fact that you don’t know what to do with some of these people now is your own damn fault.
    I liked Joshua better tonight than I have before–but, again, this would be considered “oversinging” for anyone but him, the growlers and/or Jessica.
    Sometimes, I’m not sure why I watch.
    My top 8 (in order): 1-Colton (and I’m as far from a tween/teen as you can imagine), 2-Deandre 3-Skylar 4-Hollie 5-Josph 6-Elise 7-Jessica 8-Phillip
    I’m rating them on who gave me the most iindigestion while listening to them. And, who I would actually ever consider buying a record from. Vocal gymnastics do nothing for me and sounding like you’re trying to hack up a hairball doesn’t float my boat, either.

• TheBeach says:

Girl, get outta my head! :)

• Gorm says:

They didnt throw Hollie under a bus, she was a terrible tonight. She was forced out of the Big Ballad zone and failed to even move around the stage competently. The vocal was terrible, she has no connection to anything. Basically she was always too young and too pagenty, but finally got called out on it as she was far and away the weakest left on the show.

Look at what is being said online, 90% of the people agree that Hollie should go home and should not be saved tonight.

But I agree with you about Jessica, she isnt original, she is like some incredibly talented aunt that slays it at karaoke, but should never bring all her mimicry to a place where the audience isnt family. Im just glad Gwen told her to can it with her silly movements. Remember how she used to “play” her vibrato on her mic with her fingers? She strikes me as a drag queen impersonator if you took away her admittedly solid vocals. And the alter ego schtick is nauseating on a 16 year old, its just proof that she has no originality than copying Beyonce, next week she is probably going to steal another note from beyonce and fake a preganacy with a folding fake belly rather than admit to paying a surrogate mother.

• HudsonRiverside says:

Glad to see there’s no Jessica haters here. Lol. I like her natural movements, Gwen was talking about not staying in place for that particular dance song because it makes all the small stage moves look loungey- in Gwen’s eyes. To be fair, Gwen probably moves differently than 99% of the singers out there. She can pull off really awkward motions most singers can’t. I don’t find any of the contestant’s habitual movements bothersome, it’s how they time and get inside their songs. You notice Skylar, Joshua, Deandre, Elise, P2 & Jessica all have quirks or motions you either hate or love. Which is why Hollie needs to find one. That’s one main reason the judges subliminally think she is not letting go like the others. When your body goes into auto pilot and makes these odd or repetitive gestures it means the singer is no longer thinking the song but feeling it.

34. Jenny says:

Must be the only one who didn’t like the duet of Joshua and Jessica. I actually thought they over sang the song to the point towards the end it felt like it was a contest to see who could scream loudest.

35. Gina says:

Uh, #5 should be Josh.

36. J. May says:

I am vexed and disturbed that these were the best songs the contestants could drag from the almost cold dead cheap hands of the producers. I’d hate to see the rest of the most likely 40 songs they had to choose from! As someone who came of age in the 80’s I was so disappointed by the songs tonight. Who are they trying to fool? Arrrrggghh! Anyway, best of the night was definitely Joshua and Jessica’s duet. The rest were pretty much irrelevant.

• ladyhelix says:

The kids don’t even know what to ask for…. don’t you think Nigel should have us help him with the lists?? By the time to theme posts – the kids have already picked their songs so we’re of no help to them.

• J. May says:

I think Elise would probably know what to ask for. Her first instinct to sing Hallelujah, a song I love even though it has been played out on this show, was correct. I don’t know about the rest but nobody can convince me that, given more choices, they would definitely choose radically different songs.

• w. says:

so agree with you – what a waste – that Jessica would do another Whitney Houston song is mind-blowing. Just tweeted Nigel about the crappy songs – You should too.

37. NedPepper says:

I must be in bizarro land. I thought Jessica was really bad this week. She can sing brilliantly…but she basicially just mimicked Whitney. There’s nothing genuine there, especially this week.
    Colton is a poseur. There’s still something not clicking with him. I don’t buy the whole package he’s trying to sell and I don’t get what they mean by “he’s ready to put out music NOW!” Really? For who?
    Ellise wasn’t great, but she was hardly terrible. I got some Haley flashbacks from the judges burying her.’
    Joshua does the same schtick every week. It got a little Lusty Stank this week.
    DeAndre just isn’t my cup of tea. I don’t “get” it. Maybe I’m not meant to.
    I thought Phillip was pretty solid. I dug the arrangement. Kid knows who he is.
    Poor Hollie. She has this HUGE voice….but can’t put it together. Probably going home.
    Best of week: Skylar, by far. It’s like Dolly and Reba somehow had a daughter who can belt out big notes. I can’t believe I’m digging a singer who likes to kill deer and shoot guns. But she’s refreshingly different as this year’s “country girl.”..

• Tarc says:

Jessica was OK, but she’s still missing something. At least with the Whitney songs, she enunciates. And you are right – it was a decent, but lesser clone of the original.

38. J. May says:

“They” being the producers.

39. Davey says:

Skylar gave a beauty pageant performance and one of those screamy endings that people make fun of when they talk about how cheezy AI is. And her pink dress and ugly earrings. I would have been nicer about it but the judges were so over the top about her. I didn’t believe anything she was singing.

Joshua Ledet gave the same performance he’s given about four times on the show already.

Colton took all the heart out of Time After Time. And admitted he just stole the whole arrangement from someone else so he certainly didn’t make the song his own.

I really just enjoyed the duets tonight. Everything else was forgettable.

Elise you should have sang the Leonard Cohen song. I’ve actually only heard men singing Hallelujah. You would have had a moment.

40. ladyhelix says:

Pitch Problems? My ears were really off tonight!! From where I sat Holly was not that bad – but I did have issues with Phillip, Deandre, and Colton (& Elise).
    Not hair pulling mute button mashing problems like they’ve had in years past, but noticeable and mildly annoying. I think I’ll blame the mix on my sound system….

41. PFitzDC says:

Duets were awesome this week! So bummed they don’t seem to be available on iTunes!

42. Davey says:

For all those who don’t want Elise to go home, would you please vote for her?

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I cast at least 100 for her tonight. Steven was right though. That song wasn’t right for her. She’s awesome when she sings melodic rock songs “Vienna”, “One & Only”, “Dreams” or blues influenced songs “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”, “Whole Lotta Love” “Let’s Stay Together” even “I’m your baby tonight” is a better fit for her style than “I want to know what love is”. There are some Foreigner songs which would be great for her (Cold as Ice), but not this one.

43. darcy the slutty twin says:

I cannot stand Colton and Skylar, especially if they insist on singing through their noses. I hope Hollie stays. My dream results would be if Hollie were in the bottom, judges save her and the following week, Colton and Skylar are in the bottom and nobody can do anything about it.

Phillip, you make me quiver!

44. Laura says:

I thought it was a horrible night. Really disliked almost every song. Disliked them in the 80s too. LOL! They are just bad songs.

Slezak–you are right about Phil Phillips-so off-key. I was shocked that he got raves–well maybe not shocked. They really blew the smoke up his butt. And I like Phil –but tonight was his worst solo outing.

One of the only tunes I did like was the Tom Petty song SDMHA–cause at least it’s a good song. I like Cyndi L too–but not Colton doing it in that whiney voice

45. Brittany says:

Clearly, Idol does not want Hollie making it to the finale let alone next week. Yes, she has picked the wrong songs and not always delivered as well as she can, but they really ripped her a new one tonight. They didn’t mention the fact that she went uptempo and brought more energy and worked that stage compared to previous weeks. She usually stands there singing a ballad and she was dancing around for the audience and the judges, etc. She at least deserved a Most Improved critique instead of whatever the heck that was. It was like hounding and hounding on her and not one positive thing. Oh and then the Randy at the end mentioned everyone did well, except Hollie? This whole thing is starting to look and sound eerily familiar…

• HollyFan says:

Yes, but they will save Hollie and the hair boy will go next week and then the competition stars.

• TheBeach says:

I think Uncle Nigel (through his mouthpiece, Jimmy) has made it clear that it is an either/or situation between Hollie and Jessica and the choice has been made…and not in a subtle way.

• FreeHaley says:

+1 the choice has been made, but I actually think it is to save skylar from hollie and elise more than jessica from hollie

this is why i had stopped watching after last season other than here and there and why i probably need to just go back and stick to my original decision to skip this season

it’s clear they want skylar jessica as the top two girls

they sent the whole of the greyhound fleet after Hollie tonight and had a few of them continue on to visit Elise, each two had some flaws, but nothing like they got on them for and they praised to the heavens some who had even more faults

the haley and elise types perhaps need to just skip idol, and risk the voice (the battle rounds are and the early quick cuts are very dangerous, but if you make it past the danger, they won’t throw their type of style under the bus the way Idol will)

• Gorm says:

Sorry, top 8 is no time for “most improved” its time to separeate wheat from chaff and Hollie was momma chaff herself last night. And you call what she did working the stage? Did you see her stomp around like a hunchback? Go to mjsbigblog and watch the performance again, she has NOOO idea how to move around because she is a limited performer that was raised on big note diva ballads since day one, she dosent have anything else in her system. She isnt believeable as a standalone artist. She did well in her comfort zone,but its genuinely time for her to go home. If you cant bring yourself to admit that, you are truly a dedicated fan of hollie, and i suspect you too have one of those mangled Texas-by-way-of-Shropshire accents.

It pains me greatly to aggree with this awful set of judges, but they were right not to priase her this week. Dont even try to compare hollie to hayley, Hollie had her chance to pull off a bennie and the jets but instead she stumbled around and missed notes.

• McFudge says:

It didn’t help that she wears shoes that are as big as she is. It’s impossible to fly around the stage with complete confidence when you’re on stilts.

• Brenda Russell says:

I don’t see Jessica Sanchez moving about the stage at all- she’s robotic- no emotional connection to her songs- I think Syklar and Hollie have much prettier voices and Elise’s is much more unique. Jessica is bland and boring. Jessica and Joshua over sing and are overpraised and I like Phillip but where’s the feedback-his vocal was out of tune?- worse than Elise and Hollie. Elise won’t win but she has much more musical background and a better sense of her self than the other girls. Phillip is himself but this gets boring- Scotty was himself last year but never tried anything different unless he was forced out of his comfort zone. And I know Lee had pitch problems but so does Phillip- at least in Season 9 Lee’s were pointed out to him and he doesn’t make those contorted looking faces. Best duet- Elise and Phillip-their voices blended well together and they weren’t trying to out sing one another but to sing together but Phillip looked awkward. Look at Lee and Crystal’s Falling Slowly and you see the emotional connection to the song and the chemistry and support for each other-Casey and Haley as well- these people connected and clicked with each other in regards to their styles and respected each other’s musical talents.

• Brittany says:

For the record, I’m don’t have the aforementioned accent, but really that doesn’t matter. The point was Hollie did much better than she has in the past and should have been given SOME credit for trying to break out of her comfort zone. Unlike the others she doesn’t have a much experience, which is why she lacks confidence and is not quite as poised as them. I don’t know where you got the pageant-y thing from (in previous posts) because I don’t get that vibe at all from her, and I don’t think she has been in a single pageant ever. If she had, she would be a pro on that stage and not seem so nervous or awkward at times. The judges were entirely too harsh. I never said Hollie was Haley, as Haley had had a couple stand out performances prior to her bashing and I outright said Hollie has picked the wrong songs and hasn’t performed as well as she is capable, but the way the judges are treating her is similar to Haley ie the singling of someone out and just bashing them while kissing the butts of other contestants regardless of them doing the same thing every week, pitch problems, etc. But, way to come to an anonymous board with your overly negative opinion and personally attack people for no reason. Hope you feel better about yourself.

46. Cip says:

I’m not a fan of gospel type music, but I LOVE Joshua and think he is amazing. He’s consistently superb and in my opinion, in another league up there on stage. My only fear is that he is so quiet and unassuming off stage, he’ll be forgotten by the audience. If America is smart, they’ll vote for him

47. ladyhelix says:

Jessica’s solo got a lot of praise from the judges – but it felt “pushed” or forced to me – I didn’t enjoy it. It almost seemed like she was shouting. I always look forward to Jessica’s performances so I was delighted that she and Joshua did so well.

• FreeHaley says:

The one thing that struck me, for all the she can hit and do, her voice isn’t actually really liquidy rich smooth full and wonderful like a Whitney Houston, it’s a touch harsher and more thin and she doesn’t have the magical connection to the lyrics, it’s a touch like a robot with a very good voice singing or something.

She seems like she should be great but something isn’t quite there. That said she easily deserves to have made it this far though.

• Amanda says:

her voice felt heavy on the song to me. she sang it well but whitney sang it with such ease. i didnt like it as much as everyone else seems to

48. susela says:

Tonight I finally realized why Colton just doesn’t do it for me. He’s clenched so tight—his whole skinny body is clenched, but he’s particularly tight in his chest and neck, so that his sound is strangled and his words are frequently garbled. It’s uncomfortable to watch him, i just want him to breathe.

49. Renda says:

Did anyone else feel like they pulled the same move they did on Haley by bringing everyone out and asking who were the top people and the judges proceed to name everyone but Elise and Hollie…women cannot catch a break on this show! If any of the guys had an off night they would not get the same treatment, in fact, they’d probably get praise

• FreeHaley says:

+1 Randy with his famous slam down

You could see Elise kind of getting that ah damn and there it is sad but knowing smile on her face as soon as Randy was done with that. Maybe thinking to herself, I should’ve gone for The Voice.

• teatime says:

lol. The way I remembered it was that last year they actually said, “everyone but Haley.” So this week I was thinking at least they did not do that. But you are right! What they did last year and this year was just single out everyone else as being the best. Now, for Haley, she had an AMAZING performance and then they did that to her. So this was not exactly the same. But it was close since comparatively Elise and Hollie did not deserve to be singled out as not-the-best.

• Joan says:

What about the nights when they didn’t name some of the boys as the best of the night? SHEESH. Take a chill pill and quit pulling stuff out of your butt. Hollie and Elise were the two weakest of the night. It has nothing to do with sexism.

• dilia says:

I understand what you mean but Elise and Hollie were 2 of the weakest tonight at least i thought. so i cant really fault them for this one

50. Josie says:

UHHHH, I love hollie, been rooting for her and i didn’t think she was that bad tonight but she’s kind of trapped in the “Thia Megia Getto” and her pitch problems haven’t always been like this. When she did “Change” back in Vegas she sounded AMAZING. Also she was fantastic with Deandre so I don’t know what’s happening.

• darcy's evil twin says:

She sounded very good with Deandre. I enjoyed the duet.

• John says:

I think Hollie has an amazing voice. I just think she’s young … and is being given so many contrary opinions by the judges (and Jimmy), that she’s doesn’t know what to do. If their comments confuse us (and we have nothing to lose) … imagine what’s going through Hollie’s head. I think she’s just stumped trying to appease them all when the truth is, their comments are so inconsistent.