Poll: Can Community Survive (Perhaps Even Thrive) Without Chevy Chase's Pierce?

Get More: Controversy, News, Polls

Community Chevy ChaseYou couldn’t have Bones without Bones. You couldn’t have 2 Broke Girls without two broke girls. You couldn’t have Dexter without Dexter. But could you have Community without Pierce? Since the comedy is looking pretty good for renewal — and since there’s some, shall we say, backstage tension — it’s a question that may soon have to be answered.

On one hand, it could be argued that the show needs Chevy Chase‘s character — especially since Ken Jeong’s Chang was more or less defanged. Even when Pierce isn’t filling the villain role, the politically incorrect geezer still sort of acts as a built-in antagonist for the study group.

On the other hand, Pierce isn’t the series’ lead or even its second banana. And the rich weirdo has far fewer flashes of likeability than even Joel McHale’s self-absorbed Jeff.

So, could Community survive — and maybe even thrive — without Pierce? Let’s put that question to the only people that matter. No, not Chase and series creator Dan Harmon — you!

Comments (141)

• I would start watching Community again if Chevy Chase was off the show.

Comment by xtn – April 2, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They should replace Chevy with Bill Murray or Dan Aykroyd. Have none of the characters seem to notice or even make reference to the switch, except Abed.

Comment by Sg.Grant – April 2, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That would be AWESOME! Especially if only Abed noticed!

Comment by Rain – April 2, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please do this. Now.

Comment by aleksa – April 2, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • best idea ever.

Comment by murley – April 2, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Bill Murray’s almost as much of a problem as Chevy Chase… not in an a-hole sort of way as much as a I’ll-commit-when-I-feel-like-it sort of way. Not sure if Dan Aykroyd would be interested, but how about really taking this idea to another dimension and casting Tim Meadows and still have him say racist things to Troy? Or Jane Curtin but still write it as an old man? Abed could flip out for years!

Comment by KevyB – April 2, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I LOVE this idea. You are a genius. Only, not Bill Murray. I love to watch his movies, but he’s worse than Chevy Chase. He’d never do it, anyway, he’s notorious for his selectivity.

Comment by gidiggly – April 2, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It could be anyone really. I was just throwing out the names of some old guys. Anyone could work really, so long as no one references it or notices it, except Abed. I actually think Stephan Lang, from Terra Nova and Avatar, would work well. How about Brain Cranston? Breaking Bad is wrapping up soon. Or Kurtwood Smith, best known as Red from That 70s Show?

Comment by Sg.Grant – April 3, 2012 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I like the idea of Bryan Cranston. He’s such a chameleon he’d really fit whatever they needed him to be. I still crack up at his skating routine from Malcolm in the Middle.

Comment by Pash – April 3, 2012 05:00 AM PDT
      • What a brilliant idea! I love it. Who need Chevy Chase???

Comment by John – April 2, 2012 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Even better, have a different guest star play Pierce each week. Dan Ackroyd, John Goodman, Snoop Dogg…

Comment by John Warner – April 3, 2012 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Interesting, but I’d have to say a new guy each week would change the dynamic too much.

Comment by meleliot – April 3, 2012 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yea I’m not really a fan of a new person each week

Comment by Sg.Grant – April 3, 2012 11:53 AM PDT
        • john goodman is in the show already genious

Comment by brendan – April 18, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • best idea ever. I don’t know about Bill Murray, but the only Abed noticing thing is genius.

Comment by Ana – April 3, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yea it doesn’t have to be Bill Murray. I was just trying to think of funny old guys. Steven Martin or Jim Belushi could replace him. Realistically, anyone would work for the concept. I think Stephan Lang, from Terra Nova and Avatar, would be awesome. Or Brain Cranston.

Comment by Sg.Grant – April 3, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Replace him with Jim Belushi!

Comment by djrogue – April 3, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love it!

Comment by kd – April 3, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Somebody e-mail this idea to the Community writers YESTERDAY!

Comment by D. Marie (@heydahlin) – April 3, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If only I had their email addresses… Hell, I could probably write for the show. My sense of humor is that weird.

Comment by Sg.Grant – April 3, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bill Murray would be the greatest choice, if only because he also replaced Chevy Chase on SNL!

Comment by Cloudy Knight – April 11, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s freaking brilliant

Comment by R – April 12, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Genius of an idea!!!

Comment by Domenica – May 3, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh god no!

Comment by Nicole MacGregor (@destinoscelgo) – May 3, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think this idea would be pretty cool but it would probably end up being a one or two episode long arc.

Comment by M – December 28, 2012 02:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, they should replace Pierce with Leonard

Comment by MariaPompeo – May 3, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Alex R – August 13, 2012 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ya know, I actually was interested in the show b/c of C.C. I just keeping thinking of Nat’l Lampoon series and The Three Amigos and wondering “does Chevy still got it?” 3 years later I’m a still a big fan, got my cousins to watch and been to a Childish Gambino concert :-) realistically it can survive w/o CC but i personally wouldn’t want to see it. EACH character adds a different flavor. How can you not like the Hawthorne video game, buying T&A’s special handshake and the trampoline accident?(to name a few) :-) P.S. Chang was funnier in firs/second season. I think expanding the character became too predictable at times.

Comment by Alex R – August 13, 2012 02:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, the show can survive without him

Personally, I’d like to see them use “Leonard” more. He can pretty much fill the same role as Pierce.

Comment by George – April 2, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my thought too. And I actually like Leonard.

Comment by M – April 2, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea adding Leonard to the group could be an easy fix.

Comment by Chris – April 2, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Leonard’s awesome but i think he works best as an off-the-cuff joke character to set up Jeff’s “Shut up Leonard, I know about your…”-gags

Pierce should stay but be made a little more likeable. If he goes, how about Jeffrey Tambor? He could be Jeff’s oft-discussed loser father (obviouly playing something close to George Bluth), enrolling into the same college by coincidence. Massive story arc potential there.

Comment by jdh1988 – April 12, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Chevy Chase and I think he is very funny. That soft serve bit was awesome. And I really like Community. In my opinion, there is plenty of talent in this cast to make a great show every week, even without Chevy.

Comment by d-be (@dtothebe) – April 12, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can it? Yes, I suppose so. But I’d really like the original group to stay through to the end. I don’t know how feasible that is – it certainly seems like Harmon and Chase have had enough of each other – but I hope they can work it out for the good of the show.

Comment by Superhero – April 2, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loathe Chevy Chase and his unjustifiably massive ego, but I agree with you completely. He’s good on the show and I think Community would be diminished if ANY of them left before the end of the series. I don’t have to like everyone, as long as they are an asset to the show, and he is (darn it!).

Comment by TV Gord – April 2, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I voted ‘No’ in the poll but I think it can survive without him, I just don’t think it should. Pierce’s character is a lifelong student, barring a major turn around next season is probably going to be the last, I hope Chevy and Dan Harmon can just suck it up and deal with each other for another year. I like Pierce, I think he adds a unique voice that I really like. He’s funny and offensive but also really deep. He has a lot of layers to his character and why his character is the way he is. I’d be sad to see him go and I think the show would be missing something with him gone, even if they stepped up Leonard’s role as a replacement as some other commenters have suggested.

Comment by Captain Hammer – April 2, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So agree with Captain Tightpants!

Comment by Lisa – April 2, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always felt that Chevy Chase was the weak link. I don’t think I’d miss him at all.

Comment by Ginny – April 2, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Easily. I’d support the addition of a new character if he does leave, and I would be highly unlikely to mourn his loss.

Comment by Tiffany (@acubound05) – April 2, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The answer is NO

Losing Chevy will cost the show some viewers. Yes some people tune in just for Chevy. This is a show that can not afford to lose any viewers.

Comment by kraw hitham (@_krawhitham) – April 2, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Considering the outrageously high percentage of people who voted to dump him, I think the “some people” that tune in for Chevy is very low. And how many people have tuned out because of him? I know plenty who have.

Comment by KevyB – April 2, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I didn’t vote to dump him. I voted that the show could survive without him. Two different things.

Comment by Lisa – April 3, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What are the chances of Bill Murray being cast to replace him?

Comment by Oneangrybadger – April 2, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m already in love with this idea.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – April 2, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This guy is a genius! Make it happen NBC.

Comment by fibbs – April 2, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be interesting. I also like kavyn’s idea of the group going through the whole “replacement” thing trying to find that seventh member if he does leave.

Yeah, he’s a jerk. And Harmon doesn’t sound like he’s much better. They’re both acting immature and need to grow up. But many good shows have managed to go on despite people on set not getting along with each other. And it does sound like Chevy has no problem with the rest of the cast themselves. So if he and Harmon can come to some sort of understanding, or at least, be civil, that would be great. Yeah, Pierce was mean in season 2-he was hopped up on pills. Believe me, that sort of behavior is not too far off the mark. But there’s the interesting dynamic with him and Jeff, and how he’s supposed to be a warning of sorts to Jeff on what Jeff should try and avoid turning out to be. And the way the others react to his blunt, obnoxious, insensitive comments is part of the comedy. For better or worse, he fits with the rest of the group in his own weird way, and to see him gone would be very strange. I think the show could survive without him, yes-the rest of the cast are certainly talented enough in their own right to keep the show going and keep it entertaining and fun, and as seen here, the show might even gain more viewers with him gone, which would be good in terms of keeping the show going a while longer.
      But ultimately, I hope things can be worked out and he sticks around. He doesn’t even have to be in every episode if he so wishes. His character could distance himself next season for some reason and not be with the group every day. But I’d still like him to be there in some capacity.

Comment by Angela – April 2, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Slim to none. You have a greater chance of seeing Terra Nova on CBS than Murray on Community.

Comment by Captain Nice – April 2, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, get him out of here! He adds nothing to the show – in fact, I’d say he brings it down every week – and I’m sure he must be the highest-paid actor on the set. He was funny in season one, but he has devolved so far that I can’t stand him on my screen.

Comment by Bailey – April 2, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    Greendale 7 FTW !!

Comment by anik – April 2, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Chevy Chase, always have, and the show wouldn’t be the same without him. I’m sure it would survive but it wouldn’t be the same.

Comment by ingaros – April 2, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • of course, his character has been obnoxious anyway

Comment by Manu Phennic – April 2, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get rid of Pierce AND Chang! Pierce has had some great bits, but they’re few and far between. Chang never had any to begin with.

Comment by eeeor – April 2, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more with this!

Comment by Ryan – April 2, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chang was funny as the teacher when he showed up once in a blue moon and wasn’t so weird. I love Ken jeong but he needs to go. Chevy can go too. Lost his charm after he just became downright mean.

Comment by Kate – April 2, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SOOOOO agree with this!

Comment by Rain – April 2, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First people were after Chang, now they want Pierce to go, who will be next on your list? Shirley? Britta? Eventually you would end up with an empty table. Do you seriously feel that Ken and Chevy don’t give their 100% when doing their takes? I don’t. It’s just the parts being written for them aren’t funny any more. They’re supposed to be a group of misfits – without them who would do utterly evil or utterly stupid things on the show? And the idea that other actors playing Chang and Pierce would make it funnier is well.. streets behind.

Comment by SeacrestHulk – April 12, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with the first poster here. Chang is at his best when he’s an obnoxious authority role, such as in Season One (and another that springs to mind: the drug episode in season two). I hope at the end of this season he somehow blackmails the Dean to get his old job back, because while I don’t like what he is now, I don’t want him to go either.

Pierce I voted that the show could go on without him. Just like in the most recent episode it’s established that his dynamics with the rest of the group isn’t as crucial to the plot as others. That said, I’d prefer it if he stayed.

Comment by herr_sebbe – April 13, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • *Third poster. Not first.

Comment by herr_sebbe – April 13, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree!! chang and pierce have got to go now

Comment by airhead – May 14, 2012 03:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is the easiest of the core group to lose.

Comment by tvaddict – April 2, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE GET RID OF HIM

Comment by Ryan – April 2, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True.. Some people tune in just for Chevy… But let’s say they brought in someone else.. with a built in fan base… I don’t think Paul Johansen (Spelling?) is doing anything now that One Tree Hill is gone… and he likes being an a..hole… I am sure they can fnid someone worthy of filling his spot

Comment by PsiHawk – April 2, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Worst idea ever. If I never see Paul Johannson again on TV, I’ll be set.

Comment by tripoli – April 2, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not a fan of the idea either but what’s wrong with Paul Johannson that you never want to see him on TV? He was one of the very few people who could actually act on that crap show

Comment by Alex – May 17, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Community already, but I actually think it would be better without Chevy. Pierce has had some good moments on the show, but ultimately hasn’t added much, in my opinion.

Comment by Stacy – April 2, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show could “survive” but the show was built around these characters and losing one just feels wrong. He fills a role and a purpose, and it’s always unfortunate when writers have to make decisions based on backstage drama and not creative intent.

Comment by Jay – April 2, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • to put things into context this is the man that raped the entire Duquesne family line.. just sayin’

Comment by Rachael Tann – April 2, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get rid of Harmon, he’s only written three episodes anyway.

Comment by Fan – April 2, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Harmon is creator and head writer/show-runner. He has a major influence on every single script, not just the ones where he has the primary writing credit.

The show is nothing without Harmon.

Comment by Halo – April 3, 2012 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be nice if he stuck around, but replacing Pierce with a character that can be a little more endearing even when he’s being vile would actually improve the show. I say they bring in another ex-SNL player – what’s Dan Aykroyd up to lately?

Comment by Ashley – April 2, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aykroyd is writing to movie in which he plans to star with… Chevy Chase.

Comment by Elf – April 2, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can it survive? I would hope so but I would definitely think they would lose out if he left. I think each character on that show adds something in their own unique way.

Comment by Patricia Miller – April 2, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, it could survive without him. But I don’t think getting rid of him is the best solution. The 7 cast members MAKE the show because they have such a great dynamic. He’s not my favourite of the seven, but Chevy Chase does the character of Pierce SO well.

If he were to leave, whether it be because of Harmon or himself, I would not want to see him get replaced. A replacement just wouldn’t work. Not even Chang. HOWEVER I do think it’d be very funny to spent half a season searching for a replacement and seeing how some of the unnoticed or past characters fit in if they were a part of the group. I’d love to see them spend an episode each trying to fill in Pierce’s role. An episode with Garrett, Starburns, Leonard, Magnitude, Asian Annie, Subway, etc. I think it’d be hilarious, a great way to incorporate past characters AND fill the gap lost from Pierce without replacing him.

HOWEVER, I’d rather they just kept Pierce and did the above with 8 people instead of seven. The more the merrier! :P

Comment by kavyn – April 2, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Dana Carvy fill that role, or Brent Spiner

Comment by Talmidge Mcgulliger – April 2, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Dana Carvey is one of my favorite actors ever! I think that would absolutely hilarious! Totally agree!

Comment by Jennifer Irving – April 3, 2012 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s part of the reason I don’t watch. Never liked his character.

Comment by brynna87 – April 2, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was one of those hoping he left after season two, so I’d be okay with him leaving. That being said, it would be sad that an original member of the group leaves, since the show prides itself on, sorry for the lame pun, “community”. So I don’t know what to say.

Comment by taylorrness – April 2, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Chevy Chase. He’s very funny. Not to everyone’s taste, apparently, but I think he’s great. I think the writers could write him a bit more kindly, but you know, when he had that broken leg, or when he got stoned at the party, or when he was in the chicken van thing, how can you not love him?
    A massive ego? He’s a comedian!!!! What do you expect?
    Chang is just too gross for me. Though, I loved the episode where Jeff was hanging out with him, one of my favorite episodes.

Comment by rubytu – April 2, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community can survive AND thrive without Chevy Chase. I’d continue to watch.

I would be even happier if Misha Collins was cast in Community – would LOVE to see him there!

Comment by Kay – April 2, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know, I can actually see that working. Joel and Misha already know each other. And I can see Misha playing rather well an obnoxious character on par with Joel’s Jeff, butting heads, yey scheming with each other when it’s to there mutual benefit. Although, you mighy run the risk of Misha playing a character waaay too close to Jeff, but if written well, it could work.

Comment by Ebony – April 2, 2012 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh lord we can’t get away from Misha even in a post that has NOTHING to do with him. You guys need to tone it down, seriously.

Comment by Ruby – April 2, 2012 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like this survey because yes, I think the show would survive, but I don’t want Chevy to be off the show. This makes it seem like everyone wants him gone.

Comment by Emma – April 2, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I don’t think it will make or break the show, but I prefer he stay.

Comment by tripoli – April 2, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would probably do BETTER without him. He’s ridiculous & gotten pretty boring. The eps that they put him in a lot are the worst ones.

Comment by Auds – April 2, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted “yes”, as many of the episodes where you hardly see him are just as funny as the ones where his role is a little heavier, but truthfully I do like his character on that show and would be sad to see him go. I know he’s a total egomaniac to work with, but Pierce has some of the funniest, meanest lines on that show. You could never have had the D&D episode (one of my favorite episodes) without him. Even the paintball episodes he played such an important part of. I hope whatever is going on there they are able to work out. And if they are not, I like the above comment about filling his role with Bill Murray. If that can’t work out, I say they should at least bring on Bill Murray to play Jeff’s snarky dad. I picture Joel McHale and Bill Murray playing really well off each other.

So, now I’m wondering if Chevy Chase was the diva mentioned in a blind item from a year or two ago on TVLine about possibly getting fired because of bad behavior. He was one of my first two guesses on that. (The other being the incredibly-full-of-herself Sophia Vergara).

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – April 2, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big community fan with absolutely zero need for Chevy Chase.

Comment by daviduter – April 2, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The study grou

Comment by Jay – April 2, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For months I refused to watch “Community” because Chevy Chase was on the show. Friends finally convinced me to watch because they promised me that he was not the focus. I am glad I did, but would love the show even more if he was gone.

Comment by ROB R – April 2, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show, and I find Pierce to be funny, but Chevy’s comments are annoying,and it wouldn’t be the worst thing if he got gone.

Comment by John Berggren – April 2, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chevy Chase is an a-hole. When I was a young girl, (approx. 10 +/- yrs old) Chevy was filming Fletch by my house in Highland Park. When he was on a break he angrily yelled at me and my friend to leave him alone, simply for hanging around on the sidewalk in a residential neighborhood and watching them film. He was mean and rude and it’s no wonder his career has always been in the toilet.

Comment by Velvet – April 2, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • um, YESS. he was by far the worst part of an otherwise awesome show.

Comment by Aidan – April 2, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Comment by Rachel – April 2, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely. I’m pretty much over Pierce at this point anyway. It seems to me that they just keep trying to fit his character in in some sort of interesting way, when he really doesn’t belong there at all. Good riddance if it happens! And if not, they’ll continue to find ways to make him funny. Either way, the show will be great.

Comment by Allison – April 2, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only started watching the show because of Chevy but he doesn’t contribute much. I’d say its 50/50 – they might not make it without him either.

Comment by Johanna Phelps – April 2, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, while I adore this show, Chevy Chase can be replaced (as some noted, with Leonard). And since reading about his antics, it clearly explains why his character has de-evolved over the last season. The same with Chang, but I wish they do more with him than make him crazier than a box of rocks.

I would say, dialing back Jeff’s ego a bit may help. He needs someone with the same temperament to put him in check every once in a while. Sometimes, Pierce provided that. Now they just have him being politically incorrect all the time, and that gets dull after a while.

Comment by Selek – April 2, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll admit a large part of why I first tuned in was for him, and I do think it and his role on Chuck are easily his best work in YEARS, decades even, but they’ve built such a vast universe, if he left I’m sure they could make up for his absence.

Comment by Carmichael – April 2, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. Most may say that pierce could be replaced easily, but haven’t you noticed all major character development and the biggest arcs had pierce playing a big role? It’d impact the show in a way that it’d become too hipster, or snarky, and this would lead to no counterbalance to the characters and thus the group would internally fight.
    Didn’t the show tackle Chevy being a mean guy with a big ego in the drug prevention episode?

Comment by Michael B. – April 2, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes. His character is the only reason I can’t justify saying that Community is my favourite comedy. I’ve kept crossing my fingers for him to leave the show.

Comment by Mellie – April 2, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely loved Pierce during the first season, when he was this sort of father figure to Jeff and though sometimes an asshole, he had a heart and some pearls of wisdom for him. It seems that Harmon’s personal issues with Chevy have driven him to turn the character into a caricature, and that’s probably why many people think he is now useless. But I WOULD miss Pierce. He seemed to have a heart on the episode where he and Shirley tried to open a sandwich shop and if the show gave him more of that to work with I’m sure the character would be again an integral part of the group, but Harmon’s too busy hating him so he gives him crap to do.

Chevy brings a lot of interesting points on his interview with the Huffpo, including that the show is so high on its own ass it’s lost the community college spirit and that Harmon thinks too much of himself that he won’t admit the tiniest bit of criticism. I definitely see why they’re fighting. They’re both two huge jerks.

Comment by me – April 2, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chevy – You ARE the weakest link. Goodbye.

Comment by Bob – April 2, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CONSTABLE: Inspector, it’s him, the man who stowed away on the DARSIT while we were in 2001!
      SPACETIME: If he returns to his time, he’ll cause irrevocable damage to time! The Blorgons must have put him up to this!

Comment by TigerNightmare – April 2, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I think it’s a shame to lose any member of the original cast of one of my favorite ensemble shows, I think this one is a no-brainer. The tension between Chevy and Dan Harmon is no secret to anyone who listens to his commentary tracks or, you know, breathes oxygen. It’s pretty clear that these are two enormous egos who can’t coexist, and I think three seasons was just enough time for Dan to run out of creative ways to taunt Chevy about being a has-been, hence the wrap party blow up. It’s really a shame, given the fact that I don’t think anyone saw Chevy Chase as being someone who could be relevant into his 60s, and the show was a nice way to see him resurface.

Hey, at least he lasted two more seasons than he did on SNL.

Comment by dietwrite – April 2, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show could certainly survive without Pierce. I don’t want Chevy Chase to leave the show, though.

Comment by Mandy Jane (@MandySCG) – April 2, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100% with Mandy Jane. I voted “Yes”, but that in no way means I’m anti-Chevy.

Comment by Cory – May 3, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Id anyone else had the disprivliage of seeing Dan Harmon at the Nerdist show in sf they would have very different views about him. He was a beligerent blind drunk racist jerk. I have no respect left for him, especially after this feud.

Comment by Rebecca – April 2, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really haven’t enjoyed this season as much as I did the first two, so that might influence my indifference if Pierce is around or not. Something has been off – and its not just the herky-jerky scheduling.

Same with Chang – he was a blast the first year as a teacher. Now – meh. That bums me out more.

Comment by Elizabeth – April 2, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, this season has been a little off, i want some wacky greendale antics & cute study room banter…alot of this seasons earlier episodes feel more community, than the current.

Furthermore: Pierce should stay, to me chang is funnier when paired with teachers

Comment by Ken – April 2, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should kick Dan Harmon to the curb. It wouldn’t be the first time a series creator gets the axed.
    Who would NBC rather Keep a known star for many years or creator of a low rated show? Who to chose? Of corse Chevy

Comment by Jeff – April 2, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post