Ratings: Community Holds Steady Versus Fresh Big Bang Theory, Awake Snoozes

Communitys latest venture into blanket forts didn’t collapse under the weight of its first face-off with a fresh Big Bang Theory since returning to the NBC line-up three weeks ago.

Rather, Community – which, mind you, also battles with American Idol — pulled a 1.7 demo rating, matching its week-ago performance with the coveted 18-49 demo (aka the beloved comedy’s second-highest tally since Sept. 29).

Community is also consistently delivering a 20 percent better demo number than 30 Rock last did in Thursday’s lead-off spot.

Big Bang, featuring guest star Leonard Nimoy’s voice, dipped 12 percent yet topped all of Thursday in the demo — with a 4.5, versus Idol‘s 4.2 — while lead-out Rules of Engagement retained 2.8 of that, up a tenth from its last outing. (Take note, CBS: Rob most recently scored a 2.6.)

Over in the Land of Sad News: Awake (3.13 mil/1.0), up against the mighty Mentalist, dropped 33 and 17 percent, respectively.

Michael Slezak’s American Idol Season 11 Top 9 Results Recap: Nicks and Bruises

Going hour-by-hour….

8 pm | Idol (15.3 million viewers, 4.2 rating) led the night in total audience and was steady week-to-week in both measures. ABC’s Missing (7.7 mil/1.4) dropped another 12 percent. Leading out of Community, 30 Rock (3.2 mil/1.5) was flat. Vampire Diaries (2.36 mil/1.1) was down 12 and 15 percent.

9 pm | With Grey’s still in repeat mode, Person of Interest dominated, drawing 14.4 million viewers and a 3.3 rating (on par with its last outing). Fox’s Touch touched 9.1 mil while scoring a 2.8 rating, down 23 and 15 percent from its week-ago premiere. Following an Office rerun, Up All Night (2.95 mil/1.3) dipped 13 percent to a new series-low demo.  Secret Circle (1.34 mil/0.6) was down 22 and 14 percent.

10 pm | The Mentalist (13.5 mil/2.7) slipped a tenth in the demo. Next Thursday: Shonda Rhimes’ juicy Scandal premieres for ABC.

1. Mark says:

Well, it’s something!

2. Amy says:

It was the highest rated NBC show last night so I’m pretty confident that we’ll get a 4th season. Six seasons and a movie!

3. kirads09 says:

I enjoyed Big Bang (as usual) but it didn’t quite knock me off my chair (as I was secretly anticipating).

Loved POI as usual.

What did blow me away was Touch! So beautiful, original and sophisticated. I love how the lives all intertwine in ways can’t even imagine at first. Can’t wait to see what the ratings are showing for that.

4. Gravy Train says:

Well, while I can’t quote sources, I’ve heard it’s already been picked up for a new season..

5. Renee says:

Matt or anyone who knows. I read somewhere that metro areas cable/satellite viewers were counted. Does that mean the metro areas are part of the ratings you are listing or is that strictly Neilson numbers and my wires are completely crossed?

6. seanstorm says:

COMMUNITY:
    *Impressive return numbers two weeks ago
    *NBC’s highest rated show of the night for the last two weeks (even up against the return of BIG BANG and IDOL)
    *Rabid fan base
    *Critical darling
    *Soooo close to having the syndication numbers

This show is smelling like it’s gotta get a fourth season. All it needs now to get to 6 seasons and a movie is some Emmy love.

7. Christina says:

NBC made a huge mistake moving Up all Night that late. Its a family show and works better during a more family friendly hour.

8. Jen says:

The Secret Circle surely isn’t doing the CW any favors. Having the ‘best’ show as a lead in and still not managing to do better than all the other shows…

• whyohwhy says:

I tried watching Secret Circle, because I do love Vampire Diaries. But SC lost my interest months ago. I think they hurt the story when they turned the circle from 12 members to 6. Lost the ability to have really complex interactions and a cool struggle for power in the circle.

9. Annie says:

RE: Over in the Land of Sad News — That is sad because Awake was excellent last night. Jason Isaacs is great.

10. eridapo says:

POI. Amazing as usual…

Reese to bad guy… “it is only water” and then kneecaps him.
    Finch on an ecstasy bender.
    Fusco doing a good cop assignment.
    and Carter meeting the FBI guys that are going after Reese.

• Ryan says:

Agreed, POI has exceeded my already high expectations wonderfully. Love Michael Emerson, love Jim Caviezel, this show is just the best.

11. wrstlgirl says:

I really like Missing, Touch & Awake. I hope they stick around. The Secret Circle is just bad which is really sad because there’s a lot of really good talent there.

• Alienate says:

Really??? I wouldn’t Touch Awake with a Missing 10-foot pole.

In other words, all 3 shows suck.

• wrstlgirl says:

Well that’s certainly your right. I think a lot of shows suck but don’t find it necessary to berate other people’s choices.

• Laura says:

I’m not worried about Touch. I read yesterday that it has become an international hit and FOX can always build the audience since it is after American Idol. I am worried about Awake. Last nights episode was really good. I’m so tired of the sameness of procedurals -but at least this show dares to be different, I hope that NBC gives the show a second season.

• wrstlgirl says:

I agree. I’m comfy that Touch isn’t going anywhere. And last night’s Awake was particularly good. It’s to bad people form opinions about shows after only watching one episode.

• jb says:

NBC needs to try Awake on a different night.

• Annie says:

Something needs to be done to save this show.

• Linderella says:

NBC has a terrible record of abandoning the Thursday 10 PM show. Remember Prime Suspect? Actually, NBC has a terrible record of abandoning many innovative shows. Remember The Event? Awake is an excellent show with a terrific cast. It deserves another season. This week’s episode was particularly interesting which really made for an exciting procedural as well as Britten alt-reality storyline.

• Ryan says:

The Event lost me after only a few episodes, I’m sure I wasn’t the only one. I had high hopes for it, but don’t really feel it was all that good. I love Awake though, and I also loved Prime Suspect, sigh.

• arghs says:

yup. i agree. maybe nbc could switch smash and awake and see if smash’s demo and numbers will hold on a thursday. awake i think has better chances on a monday night.

• Amy says:

Moving “Awake” to Mondays wouldn’t necessarily help it. It would be against “Castle” and “Hawaii Five-0.” And “The Voice” is a good lead in for “Smash.” But they need to do something to help “Awake!” I’m so sick of shows that are original and well produced being cancelled for Generic Show: NY, DC, SLC etc etc

12. Wendy says:

I don’t have a Nielsen box and I don’t DVR, so I don’t matter to the ratings at all, but choosing between The Big Bang Theory and Community kills me. I’m glad Community’s ratings are holding steady, regardless of my inability to make up my mind. Lol.

13. Terry says:

Rules of Engagement was great again as usual. Hope CBS wakes up and renews this show and shows it some respect.

14. Kat says:

I’m so sad about people aren’t tuning into Awake. It’s a great show and Jason Isaacs is terrific. I’m sure NBC won’t support it. Their ratings are already in the dumpster.

15. whyohwhy says:

I loved Community last night. I was laughing out loud a few times, which I don’t do very often. John Goodman cameo and no Chang! Recipe for success. (Chang was fine the first season, but I feel he really drags down the show now.)

16. Gerald says:

Vampire Diaries and Secret Circle are my Must see TV on Thursdays and they never disappoint, awesome stories twists and acting.
    I always catch Big Bang on time shifting, I laughed a lot last night, but wish Leanord would do a proper guest appearance. Just his voice didn’t cut it. But I was happy to see the appearance of a Goran (sp?)

17. Martin says:

If they cancel Awake, Kyle Killen should just stop making shows on broadcast network and start doing cable.

18. mandy says:

Sad about Awake. Love it!

19. bill says:

NBC would be stupid not to give Community a fourth season, after which it would be eligible for syndication. Comedy Central has already agreed to air the show. Unfortunately, NBC is pretty stupid regardless. I don’t think they will ever recover from the whole Jay Leno Show disaster. They may as well ditch any development plans and just show Friends and Frasier reruns all week. The ratings would be higher than for most of the crap they air (Whitney, anyone?)

20. Britta Unfiltered says:

This human being is breathing a sigh of relief. Now bring on Basic Lupine Urology!