Game of Thrones: Season 1′s Most Jaw-Dropping Moments — From Direwolves to Dragons!

Get More: Commentary, Lists, Video

Game of Thrones Season 1Holy dragons! HBO’s sweeping Game of Thrones is back at war for the crown this Sunday at 9/8c. To celebrate the return of the direwolves, the amazing Khaleesi and baby dragons, TVLine has put together a refresher of Season 1′s 10 Most Jaw-Dropping Moments, from the first shock to the last.

Game of Thrones Season 2 Spoilers: Find Out What’s in Store for the First 5 Episodes!

10. Bran stumbles upon Cersei and Jaime, and gets the boot

The only thing more surprising than the young Stark boy’s discovery that the sibling duo was more than, er, friendly? Seeing Jaime swiftly push him off the building’s ledge with a nonchalant, “The things I do for love.”

9. Joffrey (deservedly) gets bitten

After picking on the butcher’s son, the future king got his comeuppance when Arya’s loyal direwolf came out of nowhere to take a chunk out of the brat. Did we mention that he then cried for mercy?

8. Ned kills Sansa’s direwolf as Bran finally wakes up

As punishment for Arya’s direwolf biting Joffrey — ugh, yet another reason to hate that kid — Ned was forced to kill Sansa’s own pup (Arya’s smartly ran off). And he hadn’t even done anything! In a bit of perfect, symbolic timing, Bran woke from his post-fall coma just as Ned delivered the deadly cut and the wolf cried out.

Game of Thrones Hot Shots: Season 2 Is Coming

7. Daenerys eats a raw stallion’s heart

Before American Horror Story served up intestines, the Khaleesi had to prove herself to Drogo and his people by chowing down on a heart. Making her act even more impressive: She kept it all down.

6. Drogo “crowns” Viserys

Heavy is the crown that melts on your head.

Continue to Page 2 (below) for more jaw-dropping moments…

Pages: 1 2

Comments (24)

• 6. Drogo crowning Viserys, loved it.
    1. Daenerys giving birth to dragons.
    I can’t wait to see what happens next.

Comment by Lisa – March 30, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon.

Comment by cj – March 30, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How was the beheading of Ned not high on the list… it was hands down the most shocking moment for me because I just did not think they would actually do it.

Comment by Brendan – March 30, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! Although the books are full of shocking moments and practically everyone dies at some point, it was a huge shock for the tv show, considering the way Ned Stark was presented as the main character.

Comment by yippity – March 30, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of course Ned Stark died. Sean Bean always dies. ;)

Comment by Holly – March 30, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was actually thinking about that. The poor guy’s character gets killed off of everything!

Comment by Jodes – April 10, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was wondering the same thing, until I figured out IT’S CHRONOLOGICAL.

Comment by wordsmith – March 30, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Then why did they present the list as a countdown?

Comment by Sam McPherson – March 30, 2012 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You’re right – it probably would have made more sense to number them the other way around.

Comment by wordsmith – April 1, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m pretty sure both 4. and 3. happened before Ned’s death.

Comment by Ana – March 31, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • * 3 and 2

Comment by Ana – March 31, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well, 2 obviously happens after Ned’s death, as it involves his severed head. But I’m pretty sure you’re actually right about 4 and 3. The fight at the Aerie is much earlier, and Robb’s victory takes place just before Ned is executed.
            Everything else seems pretty much in order, however.

Comment by wordsmith – April 1, 2012 10:45 AM PDT
  • This show is SO great – I can’t express how excited I am for next season! One of my favorite moments of the show (and book) by far, though, is Tyrion slapping Joffrey, pretty early on. I know it’ll never make it on a greatest hits list, but man, is that a satisfying moment or what?

Comment by Bailey – March 30, 2012 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I was yelling at the TV, “Hit him again!”.

Comment by mizzfrizz – March 30, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is Ned’s beheading not at least number 2?

Comment by YowzaPowza – March 30, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Look closer – they’re not actually ordered by degree of shocking-ness.

Comment by wordsmith – March 30, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I know what you will rate as Number 1 shocking moment of Season 2 – I bet it involves Tyrion but not saying anything else…

Comment by yippity – March 30, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m reading the books right now, but I haven’t seen the show. (No HBO at my house.) If the show is half as good as the books, it’s fantastic. And that is coming from someone who had never enjoyed the fantasy genre.

Comment by Leah – March 30, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. Series. Ever.

The beheading of Ned and the birth of the dragons was a powerful one-two last two installments of season one. But really, for me the very first episode was so engaging and shocking and well done that it hooked me immediately–in a genre I rarely watch and have really never read. Love this series! Can’t wait for Sunday!

Comment by reen – March 31, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome post! Can’t wait for the second season.

Comment by maudlin – March 31, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sick of people acting like HBO did something OMGSOSHOCKING by killing Ned. The story could not have progressed organically if he was still alive. It wasn’t a shock.

Comment by Kayla – March 31, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Daenerys, Jon Snow, Tyron and Arya. Hate all the other Lannisters and Sansa. THIS SERIES IS SO GOOD!

Comment by Ana – March 31, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of you who “hate” Sansa will come around to love her. I am sure. I read the books and at first I hated her but then I started to love her, and I am SURE you all will too. She handles all of the things that are happening to her maturely and she’s just 12/13 in the books and series. I’m sure she even handles them better than you all but please give her a chance and she will surprise you. Arya, Daenerys, Tyrion and Jon have the best storylines in the books and most probably the series too.

Comment by K95 – April 1, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. Sansa was a little annoying in the books at first but I really came to love her. I’m looking forward to seeing her in season two.

Comment by Katie – April 1, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post