American Idol: What Should the Top 8 Cover for Songs of the '80s Night?

I know it’s folly to imagine “Songs of the ’80s” Night on American Idol without another no me gusta cover of Phil Collins’ “Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now),” or at least an extra notch in the belt of “Total Eclipse Of The Heart.” But you know me: An optimist to the core. And in that spirit, I’ve cooked up some unexpected song suggestions for the Season 11 Top 8. Check out my picks for each contestant, then hit the comments section and brainstorm your own dream set list!

American Idol Season 11 Top 9 Results Recap: Nicks and Bruises [Updated]

Hollie Cavanagh: The Go-Go’s “Head Over Heels” or Dream Academy’s “Life In A Northern Town
Jessica Sanchez: When in Rome’s “The Promise” or Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam’s “Head To Toe
Elise Testone: Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again” or Don Henley’s “Dirty Laundry” or Joe Jackson’s “Steppin’ Out
Skylar Laine: Martika’s “Toy Soliders” or Guns ‘N Roses’ “Sweet Child of Mine” or Tiffany’s “All This Time
Colton Dixon: Night Ranger’s “Sister Christian” or Crowded House’s “Don’t Dream It’s Over
Phillip Phillips: INXS’ “Need You Tonight” or Bruce Springsteen’s “I’m On Fire” or Eurythmics’ “Here Comes The Rain Again
Joshua Ledet: Yaz’s “Situation” or Tracy Chapman’s “Fast Car
DeAndre Brackensick: Kajagoogoo’s “Too Shy” or Fine Young Cannibals’ “She Drives Me Crazy” or Quarterflash’s “Harden My Heart

Your turn. Ready, set, brainstorm!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Naomi says:

Colton’s post-Top 9 performance show interview praised whoever chose the “Personal Idols” theme because he loved that they finally didn’t have to sing old music. So yeah, that lasted long . . .

• darcy's evil twin says:

But the song he chose was not that great! At least the 80s song have a discernable melody and they usually have a “hook”. At the risk of sounding like an old person the competition is very tight and I don’t think anyone would do themselves any favors with some of the current stuff on the radio for reasons I’ve mentioned on previous occasions.

• My Alter Ego says:

Yep, D.E.T., as usual, you’ve nailed it!

• Johnny says:

Not all current music is crap. Colton’s choices have been, but there are plenty of current pop songs with hooks. Singing eighties music just means singing styles that are no longer popular and only were before any of these kids were born. Idol won’t get a successful current artist if all they sing are the BeeGees and the go gos.

• Joe Strummer says:

You do sound old, Darcy. There are plenty of current songs with a hook. Every generation thinks the era they grew up in was the best.

• Tarc says:

Adele and Gaga seem to have found that magic jar of earworms, but current music is much less interesting, vibrant, and ‘hook-y’ than others decades – the 1980’s in particular. And while I think ‘the Grandpa axiom’ can be relevant, it’s really not when talking about music right now. There are very few real stars, very few that actually last, very few that can assemble an album with more than one hit, and when they do, they nearly never repeat it. The sophomore slump for artist today is usually the first album that failed/the album that ended their career. And to be honest, the music scene in the UK is vastly omre vibrant than here in the US, where it’s as gloomy and grey as the economy.

• Joe Strummer says:

Think of other genres besides top 40 music.

Bands such as Arcade Fire or Weezer are not by any means One Hit Wonders and I believe their music will stand the test of time. There are also artists like Ryan Adams or Katy Perry also I believe will still be played 10 or 20 years from now. They also are not one hit wonders. I think Mumford and Sons will also be around for a while and their songs will last.

Every generation has their share of one hit wonders and musicians that can consistantly put out more than one song, or album, that is good or popular(these are not always the same thing).

I’m sure if you grew up in the 80’s your parents always said how much better The Beatles, the Rolling Stones or even Fleetwood Mac or Foreigner were, and the music that they grew up with also had much more “Staying Power”. It happens every Generation.

If you don’t beleve me, look at a top 40 list from say any week in 1985 and see how many songs on that list still get played.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I graduated from high school in 86′ & don’t think that decade was any stronger musically than the past 10 years has been. If there was a musical renaissance then it took place in the 60’s & 70’s. IMO There have been a lot of great artists in the past 10 years. Jack White (both w/ the White Stripes & Raconteers), Amy Winehouse, Corrine Bailey Rae, The Black Keys, Teagan & Sarah, Adele, The Silversun Pickups, Coldplay (there’s a huge band for ya), Norah Jones, Duffy, 3 Doors Down & most recently Lana Del Rey are all successful I really liked in the past 10 years.

If you go back to artists that started in the 90’s. The Counting Crows, Weezer, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Sarah McLachlan, Poe, Cheryl Crow, Oasis, Chris Cornell, The Red Hot Chile Peppers, The Foo Fighters are all bands multiple platinum albums w/o even getting into all of the big pop stars from that era.

• Joe Strummer says:

I agree totally. Thank you.

• darcy's evil twin says:

@Joe Strummer – my parents didn’t grow up on the Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, the Rolling Stones, and Foreigner.
            I did, LOL. I actually grew up in the 60s/70s. Mom liked popular music. Dad listened to country.

• My Alter Ego says:

@Joe Strummer:

While I’ve not conducted “empirical research” on this, my observation is that each generation will keep it’s “own music” (which I define as that occuring during that critical “teen through twenties” period) alive (and subsequently share with their children, if they go that route) because it’s usually a time, as one looks back, that important/good times happened to the listener.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m not in complete disagreement with anyone on the state of current music. There’s some of it that I can’t stand but quite frankly there was stuff in the 70s that made me change the station as well (don’t get me started on most of disco!). I was implicitly referring to Colton and wondered if he might choose yet another so-so song with no melody, which might get him sent home. Honestly, though – I think at this stage of the game he might have to die on stage to be eliminated. That situation might change in a couple of weeks, though, so even if the theme this week were more current he probably wouldn’t be in danger.
          So much of the current music is a bit “overprocessed” and just doesn’t come off well live. I’m not sure I’m explaining that well.
          I do listen to current music – I like Lady Gaga, Adele, Beyonce, Pink, and as thrilled as I was for Adele at the Grammys a felt a little bit sorry for Bruno Mars – in any other year he would have mopped the floor with the competition. That kid has massive talent. I also even like some of what Taylor Swift has written.
          However – I’m still old, LOL. that hasn’t changed. ;-)
          And I really do enjoy reading everyone’s opinions here.

• Joe Strummer says:

You seem open minded, which is a good thing. I too grew up in the 70’s and 80’s. All I was getting at is that every decade has its crap and its good stuff, it’s one hit wonders and its lasting stars. I think maybe I read a little too much into your post.

With digital technology I can see where some music may seem less organic. The good thing about digital technology is that we have access to more music than we ever had before so the good stuff is a little easier to find.

There is probably about 50% more bands and acts than in the 80’s as well so there’s even more to choose from. This can be good and bad. I just don’t have the time to keep up with ALL the music I want to.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Joe Strummer -I honestly don’t have a problem at all with more contemporary music on Idol. My Ipod has music from every decade, although there’s noticeably less from the 90s. There is quite a bit from the 2000s, though!
            You’re right – every decade has its good songs and its turkeys and I have to watch myself because it’s normal for people to think “oh, the music used to be so much better!”. there are contemporary songs I don’t care to hear, but if I’m completely honest with myself there are plenty of songs from the 70s I don’t want to ever hear again either, like “Muskrat Love” and pretty much anything by K.C. and the Sunshine Band. At my last high school reunion (Class of 1975) we were asked to vote on our favorite song from 1975. Guess what song won the contest? Free Bird. Great song, but it came out in 1974. I guess all the old folks are seriously losing their memories, LOL.
            Speaking of bad songs, I was station surfing in my car today, listening to the satellite radio stations. Did you know Waylon Jennings covered “MacArthur Park”? I sure didn’t! Maybe that would be a good theme night on Idol – “Bad songs from any decade”.

• vighorois says:

I don’t trust the musical taste of anyone who claims that Lifehouse are his “personal idol”, coupled with “worship” and “Jesus” thrown in.

• Anna says:

Yes, because Christians don’t have good taste in music *rolls eyes*

• Tarc says:

Well, if he’s specifically speaking of actual Christian music, then vig is competely correct – that’s one bottomless pit of total drek.

• Kiwi says:

There is some good stuff in that pit… just that it either goes tragically unnoticed due to the surrounding drek, or it climbs out of that pit altogether and disassociates itself with the pit so not as to be thought of as drekkish….

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I could be wrong, but wasn’t Evanescence formerly a Christian band? I thought they were pretty good.

2. gailer says:

ahhhhh, the decade of one hit wonders that made me turn to talk radio lol

• Yeah that Thriller album…total toss away. Seriously, there is ALWAYS good music you just have to be open and find it.

• FreeHaley says:

hey now! heyyy now!

don’t be hating on the 80s!

• My Alter Ego says:

Sorry I’m so slow — but after the second time viewing your response, I now get what you were doing.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Bon Jovi, Pat Benatar, Bruce Springsteen – one “one hit wonder” right after another…and another…and another.

• Lee says:

I love 80s music–more than the 60s and 70s. However, when I think of the 80s, New Wave music comes to mind, such as Talking Heads, B-52s, U2, The Cure, New Order, etc. It’s funny that Slezak didn’t suggest any songs from these bands. Here’s what I would like to hear:

1. Phillip – R.E.M.’s “Good Advices” or “Driver 8” from Fables of the Reconstruction, “Fall On Me” or “What If We Give It Away” from Life’s Rich Pageant. (Both Phillip and R.E.M. represent Southern rock.)

2. Jessica – U2’s “One Tree Hill,” “Where The Streets Have No Name” or “With or Without You” from Joshua Tree. (Jessica has the pipes to sings these songs like Bono.)

3. Colton – U2’s “In God’s Country” or “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” from Joshua Tree OR “Mysterious Ways” from Achtung Baby. (I’m picking U2 for Colton for obvious reasons.)

4. DeAndre – Prince’s “When Doves Cry” from Purple Rain or “Kiss.” (I’m picking Prince for DeAndre for obvious reasons.)

5. Hollie – The Bangles’ “Manic Monday” or Belinda Carlisle’s “Heaven Is A Place On Earth” (Hollie needs something upbeat.)

6. Elise – Eurythmics’ “Would I Lie To You” or New Order’s “True Faith”

7. Joshua – Same as Jessica and Colton’s.

8. Skylar – Tracy Chapman’s “Fast Car.”

• Troia says:

wow is this Bono? lolz
        not to be rude but most of your suggestions just kinda suck :(

• W says:

Too late. You are rude for slamming someone’s ideas for song choices. Seriously, why do people feel the need to be mean for absolutely no reason except to make themselves feel “superior”? Well, guess what ? Makes you look chidish and petty.

• Luke says:

I like your choices – especially Skylar doing Fast Car.

• idolmama says:

IDK what about P2 singing “Fast Car” I think he could do something with it particularly since he does have that singer/songwriter vibe. Plus he could really pull it off with his guitar

• forrest says:

I really like your suggestions and Michael’s as well. This selection would make for a fantastic performance night with this great bunch of vocalists – BUT – this is American Idol rehash. Expect more that 1 Celine and Whitney power ballad. If Heejun was still in the competition, he’d be singing Thriller. Skyler will have 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton. Another ‘talking’ song that doesn’t highlight her versatility as a singer. Call me jaded, but I will be surprised if any songs on your great list make the competition. Here’s hoping.

3. I want Elise to sing Brass In Pocket. Phillip I want to sing Tunnel of Love by Bruce. And for Josh Wishing Well.

4. luvnhugs4u says:

For Elise I was thinking: One of Melissa Etheridge’s Early hits – “Someone Bring Me Some Water” or “Like the Way I Do” —— or Tracy Chapman’s “Fast Car”

• Yo' says:

I kind of hope no one goes near Melissa Etheridge for the duration: she is such a signature singer, that I can’t even listen to her, much less copiers, for the duration. She is one of those performers of whom a little goes a long way.

I don’t think “Fast Car” is a commercial enough song.

• Badfinger says:

Elise needs to sing some Billy Squier, preferably ”Lonely is the Night” or even ”Stroke”

• darcy's evil twin says:

Not sure about The Stroke but I like Elise doing Lonely is the Night!
        @Yo – “Fast Car” was plenty commercial because it’s been suggested here numerous times for different contestants. Mr. Slezak suggested it for Joshua. Saturday Night Live even poked fun at that song in a skit when it was popular.

5. kcostell says:

Elise: Hall & Oates, Maneater
    Deandre: Foreigner, Waiting For a Girl Like You, or UB40, Red, Red, Wine
    Colton: Mister Mister, Kyrie
    Skylar: Willie Nelson, Always On My Mind (perhaps a bit overdone, and technically a cover of a 70s song)
    Hollie: Starship, Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now

• Templar says:

Deandre – Love You More Than I Can Say [Leo Sayer]
      P2 – Welcome To The Jungle [GNR]
      Hollie – Desperado [Linda Ronstadt]
      Colton – Lady In Red [Chris DeBurgh]
      Jessica – What’s Love Got To Do With It [Tina Turner]
      Elise – Black Velvet [Alannah Myles]
      Skylar – Girls Just Want To Have Fun [Cyndi Lauper]
      Joshua – Key Largo [Bertie Higgins]

• darcy's evil twin says:

Templar – is Linda Ronstadt’s cover of “Desperado” from the 70s? Is it from the Hasten Down the Wind album? I’ll have to check.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Never mind – you’re right, I’m wrong. Just pulled the album and looked at it – Ronstadt’s cover of “Crazy” is on Hasten Down the Wind. You know, I think Elise could just sing every song on that album and I would be very happy. Just send everyone else home that night, LOL.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think “Black Velvet” qualifies even though it didn’t hit the charts in this country until 1990.

• Adam says:

1990 is technically part of the 80s. A decade begins with the “1” year.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Yea, I know. There was that entire “Millenium” debacle where the millenium started in 2001, not 2000, but most people don’t see it that way and we all celebrated in 2000. I just partied twice. ;-)

Not sure how Idol will see it.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oops. Millennium has two “n”s. It’s past my bedtime!

• kcostell says:

A “decade” refers to any period of 10 consecutive years, no matter when it starts.

The “199th decade in the AD era” would indeed begin in 1981, just like the 21st century began in 2001. But the “1980s” still began in 1980.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I’d like to hear Elise sing blues at some point too, but if she’s going to do it on 80’s night, I’d rather hear her sing “Smokin’ Gun” by Robert Cray. I think that came out in 82′

• Sadie says:

I would rather see Skylar or Elise do Tina Turner’s song – Jessica’s unending vibrato would suck the life out if it. I do like your picks in general – I’d just mix them around.

• Yo' says:

Skylar desperately needs to sing something not originally country and I’ll bet she could do a good job with Tina Turner. I didn’t bother to even listen to her Thursday because she not only sang country, she sang Miranda. No surprises. I so minimized her performance, I was not at all surprised she was in the bottom three.

• idolmama says:

Hollie doing Desperado? Are you kidding! It’s a great song, both Linda’s version and and The Eagles version. It would match her voice but it is yet another slow ballad and too much like the songs she has been singing. She really needs to step out of her comfort zone and do something more upbeat.

• theschnauzers says:

Oddly enough I also thought of Mr. Mister for Colton, but Broken Wings rather than Kyrie (as Clay Aiken and a couple of others have performed Kyrie in the past.

• BA says:

Red, Red Wine would be the BOMB!

6. Diana G says:

Colton could pull off some U2 I think. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For would be a great option or even better, A Sort of Homecoming.

7. valentina says:

something by depeche mode, the cure, the cars, simple minds, pretenders, psychedelic furs, echo and the bunnymen, violent femmes, pixies, there’s a lot! Bowie, Queen, The Smiths! Roxy Music, the always pick crappy , boring songs that’s no one careeeess!! they’re NOT cool

8. Scott says:

Slezak, you’ve picked horrible 80s songs!! Especially Dirty Laundry.

How about ‘Come on Eileen’ for Joshua.
    Springsteen’s ‘Brilliant Disguise’ for Colton.
    ‘Fire and Ice’ (Pat Benatar) for Hollie
    And I’d love to see PhilPhil do ‘Everything she wants’ by Wham!
    Skylar : Back on the Chain Gang (Pretenders)
    DeAndre: Miss me Blind, Culture Club Fitting last song for him :)
    Jessica: MacArthur Park (I kid!). I think a Donna Summer rocker would be great though.
    Elise: No One is to Blame (Howard Jones)

• Mcjagger says:

I’d love to hear Come on Eileen, but it probably suits Colton more than Joshua. And wasn’t Donna Summer’s version of MacArthur Park in the 70’s?

• Marianne says:

Haha – Maybe last laugh on you . . . “fitting last song for …” Deandre? Wasn’t even bottom 3. And – – we don’t know where any of them actually “placed” in voting. Maybe he was ahead of Elise? Joshua? Who else? Go look at views of Wednesday vids. Just sayin

• Scott says:

Hey, I recommended a weak song for him so he’s get the boot. He should probably do a Duran Duran song. Hungry like the Wolf? Or the Reflex?

I’d love to see someone do Tom Petty. Even the Losers! As bonus, Jimmy Iovine produced Damn the Torpedoes, although it came out in ’79. Make it count as 80s music!

Too bad The Logical Song is from ’79. That would be great.

• wally snodgrass says:

heejun has more views that deandre, just saying

9. YowzaPowza says:

I think Elise should do Sister Christian, not Colton. He doesn’t have the chops for that. For her it would be yet another moment.

10. kcostell says:

Of course, with our luck the setlist for next week will probably be

Phil Collins, “Against All Odds”
    Whitney Houston, “I Wanna Dance With Somebody”
    Patti Labelle, “New Attitude”
    Whitney Houston, “Saving All My Love For You”
    The Police, “Every Little Thing She Does is Magic”
    James Ingram, “Just Once”
    Tina Turner, “What’s Love Got to Do With It”
    Elton John, “I’m Still Standing”

(These aren’t bad songs, but songs that have consistently translated horribly to the Idol stage, in some cases many times over).

• Renda says:

I’m really worried that this is going to turn into an episode of terrible karaoke covers… 80’s songs so easily become karaoke if they’re not modified

• idolmama says:

Oh my gosh!!! You are probably sooooo right!!!! We will never get something original. Just a rehash of the same list we’ve heard every year.

11. J says:

Someone should do Hall & Oates. One of the biggest bands in the 80s with so much crossover success. It’ll be a shame if no one covers them. So many great tunes to choose from.

12. jw says:

Phillip Phillips needs to Phillip Phillips ‘When Doves Cry.’

• Marianne says:

And by “..needs to Phillip Phillips..” , you mean – – to sound the same way he sounds e v e r y s i n g l e w e e k ? Yawn.

• Kate says:

very cool idea

• 30CamdenSquare says:

Actually “When Doves Cry” has DeAndre written all over it. If he sings that, he’ll be around for at least, a few more weeks.

• Templar says:

I so want Deandre to do Love You More Than I can Say. I don’t think it’s ever been done on Idol and it’s so breezy and light. perfect for Deandre.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t think Prince will clear any of his music for Idol, which is kind of ridiculous. Whatever.

• My Alter Ego says:

And, my dear D.E.T., that is an excellent point. (And I want you to know that your comments, whether “merely” insightful [and I write that with tongue in cheek] or the terrific witticisms you concoct are dear to me!)

I don’t understand, and, I suspect few do, why so few songs can be “cleared.” It really would benefit AI to explain that viewers.

• tg says:

Prince has been covered on Idol. I remember Paris Bennet singing it.

• darcy's evil twin says:

And now that I think about it Stefano Langone sang “Kiss” when the guys performed together last season but it was part of a Tom Jones medley. It just seems as though I read someplace that there were problems clearing Prince’s music for Idol.

• goPhillipsquared! says:

One contestant sang PURPLE RAIN on Australian Idol. It was the bomb

• darcy's evil twin says:

Apparently he will clear his music on a case by case basis or something similar. He just won’t clear his catalog.

13. MusicFan says:

Elise: “Love Is A Battlefield” by Pat Benatar
    Phillip: “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell
    Colton: “Pride – In the Name of Love” by U2
    Joshua: “Every Breath You Take” by The Police
    Hollie: “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” by Queen
    Jessica: “Ain’t Nobody” by Rufus & Chaka Khan
    DeAndre: “1999″ or “Kiss” by Prince (though I hear he’s not licensed for Idol)
    Skylar: “Call Me” Blondie

14. Mcjagger says:

Jessica – Nothing Compares to You (Sinead O’Connor/Prince)
    Sklar – it’s overdone but I’d love to see her do Total Eclipse of the Heart
    Colton – Blaze of Glory (The Alarm)
    DeAndre – Close to You (The Cure)
    Hollie – Every Time You Go Away (Paul Young)
    Elise – Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Tears for Fears)
    Joshua – My Ever Changing Moods (The Style Council)
    Phil – Downtown Train (Tom Waits)

• Tee says:

Okay – finally someone with a true sense of what the 80s were!

Some of these songs were so much sung as they were atmospheric.

Phillip – The River (Springsteen)
      Deandre – Soft and Wet (as if…Prince)
      Joshua – Paris Match (Style Council)
      Colton – Gloria (U2)
      Jessica – Let the Music Play (Shannon)
      Hollie – Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel)
      Elise – Middle of the Road (Pretenders)
      Skylar – Midnight (Yaz).

15. m says:

Joshua: Who Wants to Live Forever

16. I want to see some duets! We had 9 solos and 3 trios, so hopefully we’ll get 8 solos and 4 duets next week!

I am not familiar with 80s music, like probably a lot of voters, but they should do something that shows up on Rock Band or Guitar Hero or something that has been covered recently.

Phillip – I Won’t Back Down
    Elise – Betty Davis Eyes
    Hollie – Never Gonna Give You Up
    Colton – Boys of Summer
    DeAndre – Billy Jean
    Joshua – Welcome to the Jungle
    Skylar – Should I Stay or Should I Go
    Jessica – Pride (in the name of love)

• LeeLives1 says:

you gotta be joking…JOSHUA – Welcome to the jungle…pleeeeeeze!!!!! and JESSICA – Pride….what are you on?

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I agree, Joshua singing “Welcome to the Jungle” is borderline insanity

I’m liking “Betty Davis Eyes” for Elise though… liking it alot.

• My Alter Ego says:

“I’m liking “Betty Davis Eyes” for Elise though… liking it alot.”

I can see why you think that, but I would be very concerned for Elise picking something this “easy.” As I said in another comment (here), after the last three weeks, expectations for Elise have risen, and she can’t afford to be anything less than perfectly magnificent from now on. It’s an exceedingly high bar that she will have to hurdle now, and I’m just not sure that “Betty Davis Eyes” can get her there. (Not that it isn’t a good song, mind you.)

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I see your point about “Betty Davis Eyes”. It is kind of minimalist… good melody though. I think the bigger problem is that it’s such a sexy song & Gwenyth Paltrow’s cover in Duets is soooo friggin’ sexy (& good) that I can’t even think of an Idol (past or present) that could out do her cover.. Katherine McPhee… maybe.

• Yo' says:

I agree. I think she has to do a big song at least one more week to solidify her rise. She was good before Thursday and it did her no good; she needs to ensure she does not get lost in the pack and Bette Davis Eyes, otherwise good for her, will not do that.

• Templar says:

Welcome To The Jungle is perfect for the snarling, growling Phillip.

• StereotypicalSuzie says:

@PunkSkittle must be a “Worster” suggesting that track for Joshua! Haha! ;P

• I just think Joshua has the gospel fans locked up and Colton and Phillip are vulnerable on the rock side. He and Skylar should be attacking on that front and they are not going to out-diva Jessica! Especially with HeeJun gone, there are a lot of potential votes for those who want to see an off the hook spectacle performance. We’ve heard Joshua screech through a couple of soul or gospel numbers, so why not show some format versatility since Axl Rose is very screechy too. Although I doubt G’n’R will clear any songs, he could do an Aerosmith song since Steven Tyler is pretty screechy. Screechy is not the right word as I don’t want to disparage anyone, but Colton and Phillip have very weak vocal ranges and Joshua should try to get a head-to-head comparison going when they sing some rock song with their weak vocals to highlight their shortcomings.

• My Alter Ego says:

PunkSkittle, you present some very interesting observations in your post (above). The concept of “screechy” is completely subjective to any given listener, so I’m going to let that go.

However, you are correct that both Colton and Phillip Phillips have limited vocal range (and limited other ranges as well), and I like your idea that Joshua needs “test” them. (Although I somewhat fear for Joshua in that test — while he’s so far superior to the two them combined, I don’t think he knows that — and, well,….)

• SoulDeep says:

Very interesting read. I like Joshua a lot and I agree that him taking a little risk is good for him. As long as he FEELS he can pull it off, he should not be scared. I saw a video of him stating that he actually likes to listen to country music. You never know what he might do!

• forrest says:

I loved the trios! So much better than the group performance ! This really gave a new spotlight to the individuals and broke up the show so well = I hope this becomes a regular feature. Please.

17. Joe says:

Here’s my pics for 80’s songs
    Colton – Sister Christian – Night Ranger (Slezak nailed it on that one)
    Phillip – I Can’t Go For That – Hall & Oates
    Jessica – Lost In Your Eyes – Debbie Gibson
    Hollie – Total Eclipse of the Heart or Holding out for a Hero – Bonnie Tyler
    Skyler – Love The World Away – Kenny Rogers
    Josh – I Want To Know What Love Is – Foreigner
    Deandre – When Doves Cry or Purple Rain – Prince
    Elise – Promises In The Dark – Pat Benetar

18. Renda says:

Hollie: New Order – Bizarre Love Triangle (if she doesn’t want to do uptempo, I think a stripped down version of this would show some artistry)
    Elise: Bon Jovi – Wanted Dead or Alive, Journey – Seperate Ways
    DeAndre: Prince – When Doves Cry (keeps him mostly in his lower register but allows him to also use his falsetto) –> although might highlight that he is, in fact, not as good as prince
    Joshua: I’m stealing Tracy Chapman – Fast Car because I love that idea, and I’ll add Toto – Africa
    Colton: Journey – Faithfully (not really a departure for him, I just think he’d make it really pretty)
    P-Squared: Cyndi Lauper – Time After Time
    Skyler: Tom Petty: Free Fallin or Peter Gabriel: Solsbury HIll or Wanted Dead or Alive could work for her as well
    Jessica: Heart – Alone

• Shana says:

I think “alone” should be retired. After Allison and Carrie, even Carly, it has hit its peak. Besides, as amazing as Jessica’s voice is, she doesn’t really have that rock edge

• Templar says:

I find the idea of Elise singing “I’m a cowgirl” ludicrous in the extreme. She’d better stay far away from any Bon Jovi material. She’s totally wrong for it.

19. Andrea says:

Jessica, Hollie or Skylar should do “Who Will You Run To?” by Heart. No one has performed that song on Idol to date!!! It’s a range-y song and upbeat. :)

20. zaza says:

Holly–“Faith”, George Michaels
    Elise–“Your Love Is King, Sade
    Deandre–totally agree on “She Drives Me Crazy”, FYC
    Skyler–“Jump”, Van Halen
    Phil–“Overkill”, Men at Work
    Colton–“True”, Spandau Ballet
    Jessica–“Do You Really Want to Hurt Me”, Culture Club
    Joshua–couldn’t come up with one…not that up on church music

• MusicFan says:

Skylar doing “Jump” would be awesome! Elise doing “Your Love Is King” would pretty awesome too!

• My Alter Ego says:

I think that “Jump” for Skylar is a good option. “Your Love Is King” is a cool Sade song, and I have no doubt that Elise could add her “Elise spin” to it and make it “bettah”, but following “Vienna” and WLL, Elise is going to have to make extraordinarily excellent song picks from now on. She’s now gotten into that area that Jimmy Iovine talked about with Haley Reinhart last year. You remember the comment: “Haley has to produce magic with every performance.”

Elise got that “bad attitude rap” about a month ago, so if she has anything even somewhat less than a “stellar” performance, she’ll be back in the bottom 3 and, unfortunately, out.

I want Elise there because she’s the one who brings musical intelligence into her performances. So as much as “Your Love Is King” is a nice idea, I fear it would be too tame for the miracles that Elise has to pull off from now on.

• TheBeach says:

Gotta say that I loves me some Sade. There’s nothing better than lounging by the pool, sipping a mojito and watching the palm trees gently sway while being serenaded by a Sade CD. I’m just afraid her music wouldn’t pack the punch needed on what I’m hoping is a really fun 80s night.

• darcy's evil twin says:

ZZZZzzzzzzz…OH, I dozed off. did somebody say something? Sade? I loved “Smooth Operator” but there are some artists whose subtlety (is that even a word?) just doesn’t work on the Idol stage. I fear Sade may fall into that category.
        Honestly, one thing that has totally surprised me in reading these comments is how many people, including Mr. Slezak, have suggested that someone sing Tracy Chapman’s “Fast Car”. I can not stand that song! Crystal Bowersox made me like “Give Me One Reason”, but not even Elise singing a duet with Jesus could make me like “Fast Car”.

• zaza says:

I get what you guys are saying about the Sade song, but I still feel that Elise has the talent and musicality to make it something really interesting. I just don’t want her to fall into the trap of having to rock out every time. There’s so much more to her than that.

21. zaza says:

Does anybody know who the mentor will be? Please, please let it be Cyndi Lauper!

22. John says:

Deandre “A Little Respect” Erasure

Phillip “Out of Mind Out of Sight” Models

Elese “Talk it over in Bed” Grayson Hugh

Joshua “Kyrie” Mr. Mister

Jessica “The Promise” When in Rome

Colton “”the sun always shine on TV” Aha –

Skylar “Footloose” Kenny Loggins

Hollie “Crazy For You” Madonna

• LeeLives1 says:

Talk it over in Bed woulkd be better for Deandre I would reckon…but would AI producers allow that song….methinks not….Footloose for Skylar would be OK but similar in vein to last week and the Stay With Me performance….something like Reba’s version of Cathy’s Clown from 1989 would be a great for her…not too fast…not too slow just a little poppy which she hasn’t done yet….Pink Floyd’s Brick In The Wall for Phillip…..Escape the Pina Colada song for Colton….bit more uptempo is what he needs now…..If Hollie has to do another ballady type lets go for Woman In Love by Barbra least it will break the normal Idol mold…but something like Sheena Easton’s Morning Train would be better for her…she might move a bit on that one..Celebration by Kool and The Gang for Joshua…no screaming, no taking me to church just a good ol Disco/RNB song…..At This Moment (Billy Vera) or Wild Wiuld West (Escape Club) for Elise…and it doesn’t really matter what Jessica sings…everyeone will love it and vote madly regardless….she could provbably do Kenny Rogers’ Lady and still finish top….

• My Alter Ego says:

“Celebration” was a fun song, with a great groove, but it’s a really a group song. And, well, perhaps you’re trying to kill Joshua’s chances, he’s far too good to waste on this.

• McJagger says:

Deandre singing “A Little Respect” is inspired. Loves me some Erasure…

23. Jane says:

Skylar- “I’m Walkin on Sunshine”
    Hollie- Madonna’s “Crazy For You”
    Jessica- Heart’s “These Dreams”
    Phillip- Rio
    Joshua- I Wanna Know What Love is
    Colton- REM’s The One I love
    Deandre- Sign Your Name Across My Heart
    Elise- Time After Time (or has it been done too much?)

24. Melody says:

Looks like Debbie Gibson is trying to lobby some of her tunes for next weeks Idol performances.

Check her twitter feed with Michael Orland:

25. WhoSaidThat says:

Would love it if Dionne Warwick was the mentor…. she was in the audience this past week….

• LeeLives1 says:

Heartbreaker was about her only contribution to the 80’s… counts her out a bit I think….U2 were big then..Bono would do….Dire Straits were still big then..Mark Knopfler….he’s still on Universal Music as well I think and that’s probably where they have to come from…..better still let’s get someone that’s a bit more out there like Rob Zombie or Marilyn Manson….would love to see how Jessica, Hollie, Joshua, Deandre and Skylar handled that…eheheheheh!!

• 30CamdenSquare says:

Hollie could sing “Living Dead Girl” & Jessica could sing “I Don’t Like the Drugs but the Drugs Like Me”. God I can’t wait for 90’s week.

• Forwarddad says:

Seriously. Dionne can’t out two sentences together.

26. Sabine says:

Joshua-Respect Yourself (Bruce Willis/Robert Palmer) or Sweet Freedom (Michael McDonald)
    Philx2 – Wicked Game (Chris Isaak) But I like the idea of True Colors, too.
    Elise – Hazy Shade of Winter (Bangles) or Cold Hearted (Paula)
    Jessica – Glamorous Life (Shelia E)
    Holly – Lovesong (The Cure) But she’d all Adele it up.
    Skylar – Tuff Enuff (Fab T-Birds) or what was suggested for this past week, Queen of Hearts (Juice Newton)
    DeAndre – Wishing Well (Terence Trent D’Arby)
    Colton – The Way It Is (Bruce Hornsby) But U2 and Night Ranger is also awesome.

• MusicFan says:

Ohhhh – really good list!

• My Alter Ego says:

Except that Philx2 should NOT go near “True Colors.” That song is far too fine for him to apply his dreck to it.

• teatime says:

Phil could do Tuff Enuf.

• TheBeach says:

You’ve got several good ones there. P2 would be great on “Wicked Game”. I also like “Wishing Well” for Deandre. “Respect Yourself” would be just what Joshua needs…a fun, up-tempo, funky song. I cringe thinking about the wailing, overwrought mess he would make out of “I Want to Know What Love Is”

• darcy's evil twin says:

Interesting list – I also picked “Tuff Enuff” for Skylar. Great minds think alike!
      Didn’t P2 already perform “Wicked Game” either in Las Vegas or during Hollywood Week? I didn’t realize WTH he was singing until I read it in Mr. Slezak’s column. It was completely unrecognizable!

27. MusicFan says:

Elise: “Here Comes The Rain Again” Eurythmics

Joshua: “Never Tear Us Apart” INXS (this would be so awesome)!

28. Lo says:

Colton: Don’t Dream It’s Over (Crowded House), Fall On Me (R.E.M.)
    Elise: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (The Smiths)
    Hollie: Start Me Up (Rolling Stones), Hit Me With Your Best Shot (Pat Benatar)
    Jessica: It’s Raining Men (Weather Girls) — she would sound SO GOOD on this!!
    Joshua: Dirty Diana (Michael Jackson)
    Phillip: You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC), Burnin’ for You (Blue Oyster Cult)
    Skylar: When You Say Nothing At All (Keith Whitley), Jump (Van Halen), I Won’t Back Down (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)

• My Alter Ego says:

Once again to the nth degree, Colton should NOT come close to “Don’t Dream It’s Over.” The song deserves much, much more than his AFFECTATIOUS presentations.

No! Colton may be a perfectly, wonderful person. But his performances are nothing but “performances,” — and for some of us, that affectation is just TOO glaring.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m trying to imagine Hollie singing “Start Me Up”. I think I like the Pat Benatar song better.
      Has anyone ever given a successful performance of “It’s Raining Men” on Idol? Maybe Jessica could pull it off. I seem to recall that song made Mr. Slezak’s list of songs that should never be performed on Idol again.
      Love the Keith Whitley choice for Skylar.

• Lo says:

I just checked What Not To Sing – IRM been covered by Kelly Clarkson, Kimberly Locke and Jasmine Trias. Kelly had laryngitis when she sang it so she didn’t sound great, but I don’t remember the other two performances. I just think that song is PERFECT for Jessica — it’s very upbeat (she needs to stay away from the ballads this week), it would show off her fun sassy side, and everyone knows it.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

That’s a pretty cool Smiths song, but Elise, is a very bluesy singer. The Smiths are almost the antithesis of blues. I actually don’t think anyone in this group could even come close to covering the Smiths. They have a good sound, it’s just extremely English.

29. StereotypicalSuzie says:

Oh My Gosh!!!

As a duet:

Hollie and Joshua: Separate Lives – (Phil Collins & Marilyn Martin)

30. FreeHaley says:

“Elise Testone: Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again””

Umm no, sure she can rock, but I don’t see that song fitting her voice at all.

Someone’s Bette Davis Eyes was an interesting suggestion though.

31. ladyhelix says:

Skyler: Jimmy Buffet – Come Monday, Springsteen -One Step Up, or REO – Time for me to Fly 88 (She could “countrify” any of these – and keep them young/fun
    Phillip: Jackson Browne – Lives in the Balance, or Springsteen – Dancing in the Dark
    Jessica: Pat Banatar – We Belong
    Colton:Don Henley – Boys of Summer, or Madonna – Live to Tell
    Joshua: SuperTramp – Lord is it mine, or Fogelberg – Leader of the Band
    Holly: Teena Marie – Lead me On 86, or Madonna – Open your Heart to Me (I just want to see Holly MOVE and lighten up)
    DeAndre: Don Henley – Heart of the Matter
    Elise: Tom Wait/Springsteen – Jersey Girl

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think “Come Monday” is from about 1974 but I like some of your choices, particularly “Jersey Girl” for Elise.

• ladyhelix says:

THANK YOU!! And yes – although “Songs You Know by Heart” on my pod has a 1990 date (a re-release?), Come Monday is 70’s vintage. I just love Skyler putting a country SPIN on a non-country song.

• darcy's evil twin says:

“Songs You Know By Heart” was a Greatest Hits compilation. I knew “Come Monday” was old because it was released when I was in high school – which makes it prehistoric.

• TheBeach says:

I could see Skylar doing Dolly’s “9 to 5”

• Scott says:

I don’t think Don Henley songs would do well on the Idol stage. They’re not very interesting.

32. J says:

Skyler: “Wheel In the Sky” Journey
    Hollie: “Breakout” Swing Out Sister
    Elise: “Say It Isn’t So” or “Out of Touch” Hall & Oates
    Colton: “Head Over Heels” Tears for Fears or “You Make My Dreams Come True” Hall & Oates
    Joshua: “Billie Jean” the original MJ version
    Deandre: “What is Love” Howard Jones or “Who Can It Be Now” Men at Work
    Jessica: “Talking In Your Sleep” The Romantics or “Separate Ways” Journey
    Phillip: “Your Love” The Outfield

• darcy's evil twin says:

I like “Breakout” for Hollie! Good pick.

• J says:

Thank you! :)

I thought it was the perfect song for her. It’s upbeat, it suits her vocals, and it’s symbolic. I think it could literally make her “breakout” from the pack. Hollie can be a contender, but she needs great song choices. This could be a great song for her.

33. sam says:

ah yes, jessica should do what’s love got to do with it!!!!!!

• kcostell says:

What’s Love Got to Do With It has been performed 3 times in the last 3 seasons on Idol…to WhatNotToSing scores of 25, 22, and 14. By this point it’s firmly on my “don’t perform this if you know what’s good for you” list, but maybe Jessica could be the one to finally pull it off.

34. 30CamdenSquare says:

Deandre: “When Doves Cry”… seriously, this is the song that could turn things around for him.

Elise: “Bettie Davis Eyes”, “Hazy Shade of Winter” (Bangles remake), or “Here Comes the Rain Again” are all good choices. Having said that, I really want to here this girl sing some Concrete Blonde, but “Joey”, released in 1990, is probably their only song well known enough to cover on Idol.

Phillip: “Too Late for Love” (Def Leppard) or “Jenny 867-5309 (Tommy Tutone)

Joshua: “Fast Car” (Tracy Chapman). I know this would be the 2nd week in a row he’s covered a female artist (although Mariah only covered this weeks song), but it’s hard not to pick this one for him. I think this one could be great if he just drove us by the church, but didn’t get out.

Jessica: Really want to hear her sing “Vision of Love” by Mariah, but that was released in 90’… crap. Oh, “The Metro” (Berlin) could be an awesome uptempo for her.

Colton: I’d like to see if he could pull off some Bowie. I’m thinking “Ashes to Ashes” or “Time Will Crawl” cause “China Girl” is sung so deep it might be out of his range. We need a week’s vacation from Colton’s too.

Hollie: “Promises in the Dark” (Pat Benatar). Btw, if Erika had chosen either this (or HeartBreaker, or Treat Me Right, or Fire & Ice) instead of “We Belong” & “Crazy on You” or “Magic Man” as her Heart song, I think she’d be living at the mansion right now.

Skyler: Needs to slow it down & “Sing it pretty for Atlanta now” it’s too bad “Freebird” & “Hotel California” are 70’s songs. OK, this is kind of out in left field, but Skyler (along w/ Hollie & Deandre) needs to pull of something big in order to stay around much longer. There’s a song by Tony Carey called “Fine Fine Day”. It’s a rock song but very melodic & tells a story. Skyler’s voice combined w/ having a couple of violins (sorry fiddles) cover the keyboard part, is all that’s needed to make it sound like cross-over country. I think this would be pretty creative & help her to stand out.

• nyx says:

Good choice of “When Doves Cry” for DeAndre — perfect for his voice. That had crossed my mind also, but I don’t know if he has the ability to connect w. the lyrics…. (“Only the Good Die Young” was a disaster.)

I like Concrete Blonde for Elise too. I thought about picking “God Is a Bullet” (1989), but I don’t think that song is popular enough for AI. Probably also problematic in its title.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I agree w/ you. Even though I personally would love to hear Elise sing any number of good but lesser known Concrete Blonde songs, I don’t actually think it would be a good move for her to do so on Idol. Anyway, “God is a Bullet” is too hard rock to cover right after “WWL”. I do however absolutely think she should cover “Joey” if the opportunity arises.

If Elise sings rock this week, I think she needs to do something more melodic & not as hard, so I still think The Bangles “Hazy Shade of Winter” would be a good choice. The only problem might me that 2 or 3 of The Bangles are singing that all the way through, so I don’t know if it’ll lose too much w/ only one main singer. I also think she’d sound great singing “Fine Fine Day” by Tony Carey.

If she decides to sing a blues song this week, I think she should go w/ “Smokin’ Gun” by Robert Cray.

35. Does anyone know how far in advance do the contestants know the theme? It always seems like they know it before the prior week’s Thursday results show.

36. Doniel says:

If someone does The Smiths- There Is a Light and It Never Goes Out, or Patti Smith- Because the Night, they will officially have my votes for the rest of the season for excellent taste in music..

37. karenb says:

I would freakin die if P2 did “Need you Tonight”. srsly

38. J. May says:

There are so many great songs from the 80’s, but knowing Idol the way I do (i’m looking at you Nigel), there’s probably going to only be something like 40 songs to choose from. Here’s a partial dream list:

Phillip–Keep on Rocking in the Free World

Elise–Drive by The Cars

Jessica–Who Wants to Live Forever by Queen

39. SoulDeep says:

“Take My Breath Away” – Hollie
    “Purple Rain” or “Wishing Well” – DeAndre
    “I Wanna Know What Love Is” or “Holding Back the Years” – Joshua
    “Through the Fire” – Jessica
    “I Ain’t Missing You” – Colton
    “My Prerogative” or “Dirty Diana” – Phillip
    “Wind Beneath My Wings” or “Start Me Up” – Elise
    “Every Breath You Take” – Skylar

• TheBeach says:

I don’t mean to offend but I think “Wind Beneath My Wings” is a horrible song. I hope no one chooses that one.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree! If Elise sings that song she may as well pack her bags before she even performs. Someone is liable to hand her suitcases to her on stage before she’s even finished with that song.

• FreeHaley says:

yeah, Elise is a goner if she sings that,

and i don’t want to hear skylar butcher Every Breath You Take, I can’t and do not want to fathom that with twang…..

• Beyond Beaverton says:

Love your suitcase comment, d’s evil twin. I imagine a shepherd’s hook yanking her out. Also, trying to remember who sang it as You Are the Ice upon My Wings.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Not sure, but could it be Weird Al Yankovich? He’s still around – I saw him on one of the late-night talk shows last week.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

Also no offense intended, but I’ll kill myself if Elise sings “Wind Beneath My Wings”. How about “Carry Me Away” or “God is a Bullet” by Concrete Blonde instead?

• SoulDeep says:

Well I like that song lol. Anyway, what do you think of the other songs I chose?

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I like your choices for Deandre. My first pick would be When Doves Cry, but Purple Rain would be right up there and Terrance Trent Darby fits him as well. I really think that, at this point, Deandre needs to take on a big hit by a musical giant like Prince and nail it.

You mentioned “Fast Car”. That’s the song a lot of people are picking for Joshua (me included).

I think “Every Breath You Take” would be a good pick for almost any of the contestants.

I think normally “Take my breath away” would be a good choice for Hollie. I think it’s a song she’d be comfortable singing and do well, but I think singing another ballad this puts herself at risk. I picked The Metro (also by Berlin) for Jessica, but I think it would work for Hollie as well. I also picked “Promises in the Dark” by Pat Benatar & 99 Luft Balloons (I don’t think too many agree w/ me on that though). Mainly she just has to show us something different… and do it well.

I think your picks for Jessica, Colton & Phillip are good ones even if they’re not necessarily my first choices. I don’t think all of my picks are exactly golden though.

• darcy's evil twin says:

@SoulDeep – I’ve been thinking about this and I think Jessica could sing “Wind Beneath my Wings” and walk away unscathed. I think Colton might even be able to pull it off and not wind up in the bottom three.

• Bobbi says:

‘Wishing Well’ would be my pick for Joshua instead. Terence Trent D’arby had that Sam Cooke vibe going.

40. SoulDeep says:

Almost forgot! I’d love to hear someone sing “Fast Car” and really GET INTO IT and not just sing it without telling the story. And I’d also love to hear someone sing Sade, maybe Jessica could pull it off.

*back to reading all the comments*

41. darcy's evil twin says:

I would give my right arm and first-born male child if someone would sing “Bust A Move” or even Styx’s “Mr. Roboto”.
    By the way, Erika and Heejun sang on Jay Leno tonight.

My picks –
    Deandre – Hall and Oates’ “One on One”
    Joshua – Ray Parker Jr.’s “The Other Woman”
    Phillip – Rick Springfield’s “I Get Excited”
    Colton – Eric Carmen’s “Make Me Lose Control”
    Hollie – Bob Seger’s “Betty Lou’s Gettin’ Out Tonight”
    Jessica – Toni Basil’s “Mickey” (because I’ve been dying for someone to sing it for years and I think Jessica can sing anything and not get voted off). But, if she won’t go along with that…”Fire and Ice” by Pat Benatar.
    Skylar – The Fabulous Thunderbirds’ “Tuff Enuff”
    Elise – Eddie Money’s “Walk on Water”

42. Jared Louis Ganbarg says:

Philip=”We Didn’t Start The Fire” – Billy Joel
    Jessica=”This Time I Know It’s For Real” – Donna Summer

Ran out of ideas for now.

43. 30CamdenSquare says:

I have got the song for Hollie that will silence the she can only do ballads naysayers, be totally unexpected & unforgettable.

99 Luft Balloons, by Nena… The German version. She’s shake it a little, but if Hollie comes out and sings.

Hast Du etwas Zeit fuer mich
    Dann singe ich ein Lied fuer Dich
    Von 99 Luftballons
    Auf ihrem Weg zum Horizont
    Denkst Du vielleicht grad’ an mich
    Dann singe ich ein Lied fuer Dich
    Von 99 Luftballons
    Und dass sowas von sowas kommt

99 Luftballons
    Auf ihrem Weg zum Horizont
    Hielt man fuer UFOs aus dem All
    Darum schickte ein General
    ‘ne Fliegerstaffel hinterher
    Alarm zu geben, wenn’s so waer
    Dabei war’n da am Horizont
    Nur 99 Luftballons

99 Duesenflieger
    Jeder war ein grosser Krieger
    Hielten sich fuer Captain Kirk
    Das gab ein grosses Feuerwerk
    Die Nachbarn haben nichts gerafft
    Und fuehlten sich gleich angemacht
    Dabei schoss man am Horizont
    Auf 99 Luftballons

99 Kriegsminister
    Streichholz und Benzinkanister
    Hielten sich fuer schlaue Leute
    Witterten schon fette Beute
    Riefen: Krieg und wollten Macht
    Mann, wer haette das gedacht
    Dass es einmal soweit kommt
    Wegen 99 Luftballons

99 Jahre Krieg
    Liessen keinen Platz fuer Sieger
    Kriegsminister gibt’s nicht mehr
    Und auch keine Duesenflieger
    Heute zieh ich meine Runden
    Seh’ die Welt in Truemmern liegen
    Hab’ ‘nen Luftballon gefunden
    Denk’ an Dich und lass’ ihn fliegen

(realistically about half of that) I think any shots of the Steven, Jennifer & Randy we see during her performance will be 3 stunned judges w/ their jaws on the table.

44. 30CamdenSquare says:

If Hollie doesn’t sing this, I think it might be even more awesome as an all girls group number.

45. LP says:

Sooooooo excited that you recommended Yaz for Joshua….but I had Don’t Go.
    Hollie-Voices Carry by Til Tuesday (bit notes, not a big ass famous ballad)
    Phillip-Romeo & Juliet by Dire Straits (swoon)
    Colton-Somebody by Depeche Mode (again, swoon)
    Jessica-Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes (uptempo and she could really rock it)
    Elise-Love Bites by Def Leppard (just cause)
    Skylar-With or Without You by U2 (she needs a ballad)
    Deandre-Purple Rain by Prince (he needs a moment)

46. nyx says:

In order by contestant’s last name:
    • Smokey Robinson, “Cruisin'” (was released in 1979, but I think it charted in 1980?)
    • Sheila E, “The Glamorous Life”
    • Culture Club, “Time (Clock of the Heart)”

Hollie – needs to break out of ballad mode this week
    • The Pretenders, “Don’t Get Me Wrong”
    • Scandal, “Goodbye to You”
    • T’Pau, “Heart & Soul”

• The Cure, “All I Want”
    • Starship, “Don’t Lose Any Sleep”
    • Duran Duran, “Ordinary World”

• Georgia Satellites, “Keep Your Hands to Yourself”
    • Stray Cats, “(She’s) Sexy + 17”
    • Glenn Frey, “Smuggler’s Blues”

• Squeeze, “Black Coffee in Bed”
    • Carl Carlton, “She’s a Bad Mama Jama” (would like to see Joshua funk out a little)
    • Donny Osmond, “Soldier of Love”

Phillip – his PP twists on songs always grab me, so couldn’t resist more ideas for him
    • Oingo Boingo, “Dead Man’s Party”
    • Siouxsie & The Banshees, “The Passenger”
    • The Bangles, “Hazy Shade of Winter”
    • Jermaine Jackson, “Let’s Get Serious”
    • Kate Bush, “Running Up That Hill” (would love to hear what the Southern-fried PP version of this would sound like)

• The Greg Kihn Band, “Jeopardy”
    • The Jeff Healey Band, “Angel Eyes”
    • Prince, “Little Red Corvette”
    • Vixen, “Edge of a Broken Heart”

• Templar says:

The idea of a teenager [Skylar] who still needs a curfew singing Smuggler’s Blues is ridiculous in the extreme. In fact there isn’t a single contestant this year who is “street” enough to pull off that song or almost any other song on the Miami Vice soundtrack.

• nyx says:

Are we talking about the same teenager who took on Miranda Lambert’s tale of bullet-blasting, murderously preemptive revenge? To call it “ridiculous” strikes me as more than unfair to Skylar, considering she pretty much killed “Gunpowder and Lead” last week. There’s nothing teenager or curfew-cowed in those lyrics or the way she delivered them.

(On Miami Vice soundtrack, you don’t think Elise at least might be able to deliver on “You Belong to the City”?)

• Templar says:

We do know that Skylar is gun nuts, but she’d still be way out of her depth with organized crime. She’d pee her pants if she came up against anyone that the DEA was interested in.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’d be more afraid of the DEA. You can shoot the drug dealers in your home (at least in my state) and not face prosecution, LOL.

• darcy's evil twin says:

nyx – I really like the Scandal song for Hollie (“Goodbye to You”). I also like “Solider of Love” for Joshua.
      And the subsequent comments were funny. Enjoyed reading them!

47. vighorois says:

Somehow I’m afraid it’s gonna be another boring night of mostly ballads being covered too many times on AI. What is the possibility that over half of the songs will be either new to AI stage, or sung better than previous version(s)? I’m thinking close to zero percent. Same with Slezak’s suggestions: those AI-wannabes should’ve been reading his posts for song choice inspiration.

48. Talyawalka says:

There are so many songs I’d love to hear Phillip and Elise sing but my top ones would be:

Phillip – Bring Me Some Water – Mellissa Ethridge
    Elise – Brass in Pocket – The Pretenders

49. nyx says:

In order by contestant’s last name:
    • Smokey Robinson, “Cruisin’ ” (released in 1979, but I think it charted in 1980?)
    • Sheila E, “The Glamorous Life”
    • Culture Club, “Time (Clock of the Heart)”

Hollie – needs to break out of ballad mode this week
    • The Pretenders, “Don’t Get Me Wrong”
    • Scandal, “Goodbye to You”
    • T’Pau, “Heart & Soul”

• The Cure, “All I Want”
    • Starship, “Don’t Lose Any Sleep”
    • Duran Duran, “Ordinary World”

• Georgia Satellites, “Keep Your Hands to Yourself”
    • Stray Cats, “(She’s) Se;xy + 17”
    • Glenn Frey, “Smuggler’s Blues”

• Squeeze, “Black Coffee in Bed”
    • Donny Osmond, “Soldier of Love”

• Oingo Boingo “Dead Man’s Party”
    • Siouxsie & The Banshees, “The Passenger”
    • The Bangles, “Hazy Shade of Winter”
    • Jermaine Jackson, “Let’s Get Serious”
    • Kate Bush, “Running Up That Hill” (would love to heard what a Southern-(electri)fried PP take on this sounds like)

• Sheriff, “When I’m With You”
    • The Motels, “Only the Lonely”
    • Laura Branigan, “Gloria”
    • Taylor Dayne, “With Every Beat of My Heart”

• The Greg Kihn Band, “Jeopardy”
    • The Jeff Healey Band, “Angel Eyes”
    • Prince, “Little Red Corvette” (I think her voice on this would sound amazing)
    • Vixen, “Edge of a Broken Heart”

50. Beyond Beaverton says:

Slave to the rhythm – hollie

Dream kitchen – deandre

Relax or Turning japanese – colton

Wake me up or Swingin – skylar

One night in bangkok – p2

Sunglasses at night – elise

Girlfriend in a coma – jacob

Paranoimia or I ran (so far away) – jessica