Ratings: Bent Steady, Happy Endings Ticks Up

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

There’s not much to see here, so let’s run through Wednesday’s ratings pronto, shall we?

American Idol‘s Top 9 sing-off of course dominated the night with 17.2 million total viewers and a 5.0 demo rating, on par with its week-ago numbers — meaning no decline, and that is something.

NBC bid adieu to two freshman sitcoms last night: Whitney (4.2 mil/1.5) dipped a tenth in the demo, while Chelsea (3.1 mil/1.2) dropped double digits.

NBC’s latest two-pack of Bent, meanwhile, held steady with 2.5 mil and a 0.9 — still, those are anemic numbers for a solid show facing a lotta repeats, and that’s why we cant have nice things, America. Let’s just hope NBC takes a flier here are renews Bent simply because it’s, you know, good.

Elsewhere:

* Survivor, with 9.6 million total viewers and a 2.8 rating, shed a handful of eyeballs.

* One Tree Hill‘s next-to-last episode everrrrr (1.28 mil/0.6) dropped 15 and 25 percent.

* Happy Endings‘ penultimate Season 2 episode (4.2 mil/1.9) inched up 2 and 6 percent.

And… out!

Comments (31)

• Bent is so good! NBC needs to do something to rework its schedule or promote the show more…

Comment by kikay – March 29, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the show but I don’t like David Walton, I think that’s his name. I haven’t liked him in any show. He plays his character perfectly though…I just don’t like his character. And his characters are always the same…so I guess I really just hate the characters he plays. I don’t like him being so cocky all the time. He makes me want to slap him everytime he talks!

Comment by Ann – March 29, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with this. I want to like Bent, and I really try to, but DW’s character is such a douche. Yes, I know he’s sweet underneath, but one has to wade through so many crappy layers of onion peel to get there, it’s exhausting.

Comment by Jess – March 29, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do agree that NBC did not do much for Bent but hey…look at the promo they did for Whitney and that was also a PR nightmare so just getting tons of exposure may not be the smartest way to PR a show. It made people hate Whitney and not even give it a chance. For those who did give Whitney time to develop then all saw a really good show. I think we need to do the same with Bent. Give it time to develop and watch what you wish for in regard to the PR of a show.

Comment by pennylane – March 29, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i love Bent. completely caught me off guard but i love it. Please NBC keep the show around and for goodness sake… advertise the show!!!

Comment by rebecca – March 29, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope NBC renews Whitney. I love it!

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – March 29, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I wish more people stuck around because it’s hit a really good stride. I feel like they shot the season finale as a series finale, but I hope that’s not the case.

Comment by Volcfom – March 29, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed with both your comments!! I didn’t like Whitney at first, but it got so much better. I laugh so hard almost every episode, I hope they give it a chance.

Comment by Jessica – March 29, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a huge fan of Whitney and many viewers gave up on the show way too early. It is one of my favorites to date.

Comment by pennylane – March 29, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It took a while but it got SO good! I will really miss it if it is not renewed.

Comment by CJ – March 29, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bent has quickly become one of my favorite shows. I laugh super hard. The writing is witty and clever and David Walton is AWESOME!! Love him!!!
    They only have 2 more episodes. I really hope it gets another chance at a full season.
    Note to NBC get rid of The Office and replace it with a full season of Bent!!!!!!!!!

Comment by sarah – March 29, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • definitely almost died last night at Landry’s (forever FNL, even though his name is Gary now) “Wasssup girllll” line to the sister.

Comment by anthony t (@freshairr) – March 29, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won’t let myself get attached to Bent anymore because it will make me even sadder when it gets cancelled. Such a great show – I was hooked from the pilot.

Comment by ryanandhobbes – March 29, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bent is such a great show, it will be really sad to see it go so soon when it has great potential. Time to bid adieu to a tired show like The Office (which the cast all seem to be fleeing from as it is) and invest in sonething fresh and good like Bent. Sadly, I know how this story ends. Nice knowing you, Bent, with your clever writing and believable characters.

Comment by CJ – March 29, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve stuck with Whitney and I really believe that it’s had a terrible start but has really found the voice of it’s characters, I know a lot of people hate it, but I really hope it gets another season because I want to see if it can get even better.

Also Bent is insanely awesome. I love Happy Endings but I watched Bent on my DVR before HE. Let’s hope it get another chance this coming fall season.

Comment by Chris Wellman – March 29, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im hoping NBC gives Bent a chance next year like ABC did for Happy Endings

Comment by ggny – March 29, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE WHITNEY I HOPE WE GET A SECOND SEASON ALWAYS LOVE HAPPY ENDINGS BENT IS GOOD BUT IF I PICK WHICH SHOW TO PICK UP ON NBC I PICK WHITNEY VERY FUNNY

Comment by Aleana – March 29, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched Bent last night based on many recommendation and really enjoyed it! Hopefully it sticks around, but I won’t hold my breath.

Comment by Kelly – March 29, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really liking Bent, much more than I expected. Hope it gets renewed.

Comment by Lorie – March 29, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve decided to view Bent as if it were a UK-style limited-run series.

Comment by ElKabong – March 29, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Bent is an alright show. I’ve watched all the aired epis and will continue to watch it. I like Amanda Peet.

Comment by Velvet – March 29, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW has to be hurting. I know that they don’t expect “network” numbers (even though they are considered a network) but geez I think half of their shows are hitting in the .5-.7 range.

Comment by Ari – March 29, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know that back when CW was the WB, the ratings were so low because not everyone got that channel. I wonder if that’s still the case. Also, CW needs to not just make shows for teenage girls. And for the 2 shows they have that actually aren’t teen girl soaps, they need to stop trying to advertise them as such.

Comment by Mikael – March 30, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s hope NBC cancels two really bad sitcoms in Whitney & Are You There, Chelsea? and also hope that ABC renews Happy Endings for another season ’cause Penny (Casey Wilson) really makes me laugh. :-)

Comment by bad kevin – March 29, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally forgot Bent was on… and NBC wonders why nobody watches their network. They have the worst promotion department ever.

Comment by KSM – March 29, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this so much. I love so many shows on NBC but i never know if they’re new each week and/or when the new airing time is. I would be completely lost without tvline, so with Matt’s help, i’m only PARTIALLY lost… >_> (worst offenders are probably the thursday night comedy line-up! i mean, how many time slots can a show be in during the course of a season! jeez)

Comment by Jess – March 29, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney was fantastic last night. Loved it and can’t wait to see it again in the fall.
    I watch 2 episodes of Bent and was disappointed. I stuck with Whitney and gave it lots of time to improve and it came around massively so I feel that I can do the same for Bent. It takes time to get things working. So far, Bent is clunky and simply not funny even with a great cast…it can take time to work it out.

Comment by pennylane – March 29, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Bent! And I’m a Whitney fan too, so I hope both shows get a chance to play on.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – March 30, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I luv bent please renew…..seriousy hilarious….uv amanda peet and the hot guy…

Comment by sylvia – March 30, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • save bent

Comment by grace – April 1, 2012 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bent is great!! please renew it for next season!!

Comment by efi – April 3, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post