Ratings: Bent Steady, Happy Endings Ticks Up

There’s not much to see here, so let’s run through Wednesday’s ratings pronto, shall we?

American Idol‘s Top 9 sing-off of course dominated the night with 17.2 million total viewers and a 5.0 demo rating, on par with its week-ago numbers — meaning no decline, and that is something.

NBC bid adieu to two freshman sitcoms last night: Whitney (4.2 mil/1.5) dipped a tenth in the demo, while Chelsea (3.1 mil/1.2) dropped double digits.

NBC’s latest two-pack of Bent, meanwhile, held steady with 2.5 mil and a 0.9 — still, those are anemic numbers for a solid show facing a lotta repeats, and that’s why we cant have nice things, America. Let’s just hope NBC takes a flier here are renews Bent simply because it’s, you know, good.

Elsewhere:

* Survivor, with 9.6 million total viewers and a 2.8 rating, shed a handful of eyeballs.

* One Tree Hill‘s next-to-last episode everrrrr (1.28 mil/0.6) dropped 15 and 25 percent.

* Happy Endings‘ penultimate Season 2 episode (4.2 mil/1.9) inched up 2 and 6 percent.

And… out!

1. kikay says:

Bent is so good! NBC needs to do something to rework its schedule or promote the show more…

• Ann says:

I like the show but I don’t like David Walton, I think that’s his name. I haven’t liked him in any show. He plays his character perfectly though…I just don’t like his character. And his characters are always the same…so I guess I really just hate the characters he plays. I don’t like him being so cocky all the time. He makes me want to slap him everytime he talks!

• Jess says:

I agree with this. I want to like Bent, and I really try to, but DW’s character is such a douche. Yes, I know he’s sweet underneath, but one has to wade through so many crappy layers of onion peel to get there, it’s exhausting.

• pennylane says:

I do agree that NBC did not do much for Bent but hey…look at the promo they did for Whitney and that was also a PR nightmare so just getting tons of exposure may not be the smartest way to PR a show. It made people hate Whitney and not even give it a chance. For those who did give Whitney time to develop then all saw a really good show. I think we need to do the same with Bent. Give it time to develop and watch what you wish for in regard to the PR of a show.

• rebecca says:

i love Bent. completely caught me off guard but i love it. Please NBC keep the show around and for goodness sake… advertise the show!!!

2. I hope NBC renews Whitney. I love it!

• Volcfom says:

Me too! I wish more people stuck around because it’s hit a really good stride. I feel like they shot the season finale as a series finale, but I hope that’s not the case.

• Jessica says:

Agreed with both your comments!! I didn’t like Whitney at first, but it got so much better. I laugh so hard almost every episode, I hope they give it a chance.

• pennylane says:

I’m a huge fan of Whitney and many viewers gave up on the show way too early. It is one of my favorites to date.

3. sarah says:

Bent has quickly become one of my favorite shows. I laugh super hard. The writing is witty and clever and David Walton is AWESOME!! Love him!!!
    They only have 2 more episodes. I really hope it gets another chance at a full season.
    Note to NBC get rid of The Office and replace it with a full season of Bent!!!!!!!!!

4. ryanandhobbes says:

I won’t let myself get attached to Bent anymore because it will make me even sadder when it gets cancelled. Such a great show – I was hooked from the pilot.

5. CJ says:

Bent is such a great show, it will be really sad to see it go so soon when it has great potential. Time to bid adieu to a tired show like The Office (which the cast all seem to be fleeing from as it is) and invest in sonething fresh and good like Bent. Sadly, I know how this story ends. Nice knowing you, Bent, with your clever writing and believable characters.

6. Chris Wellman says:

I’ve stuck with Whitney and I really believe that it’s had a terrible start but has really found the voice of it’s characters, I know a lot of people hate it, but I really hope it gets another season because I want to see if it can get even better.

Also Bent is insanely awesome. I love Happy Endings but I watched Bent on my DVR before HE. Let’s hope it get another chance this coming fall season.

7. ggny says:

im hoping NBC gives Bent a chance next year like ABC did for Happy Endings

8. Aleana says:

I LOVE WHITNEY I HOPE WE GET A SECOND SEASON ALWAYS LOVE HAPPY ENDINGS BENT IS GOOD BUT IF I PICK WHICH SHOW TO PICK UP ON NBC I PICK WHITNEY VERY FUNNY

9. Kelly says:

Watched Bent last night based on many recommendation and really enjoyed it! Hopefully it sticks around, but I won’t hold my breath.

10. Lorie says:

I’m really liking Bent, much more than I expected. Hope it gets renewed.

11. ElKabong says:

I’ve decided to view Bent as if it were a UK-style limited-run series.

12. Velvet says:

I think Bent is an alright show. I’ve watched all the aired epis and will continue to watch it. I like Amanda Peet.

13. Ari says:

The CW has to be hurting. I know that they don’t expect “network” numbers (even though they are considered a network) but geez I think half of their shows are hitting in the .5-.7 range.

• Mikael says:

I know that back when CW was the WB, the ratings were so low because not everyone got that channel. I wonder if that’s still the case. Also, CW needs to not just make shows for teenage girls. And for the 2 shows they have that actually aren’t teen girl soaps, they need to stop trying to advertise them as such.

14. bad kevin says:

Let’s hope NBC cancels two really bad sitcoms in Whitney & Are You There, Chelsea? and also hope that ABC renews Happy Endings for another season ’cause Penny (Casey Wilson) really makes me laugh. :-)

15. KSM says:

Totally forgot Bent was on… and NBC wonders why nobody watches their network. They have the worst promotion department ever.

• Jess says:

this so much. I love so many shows on NBC but i never know if they’re new each week and/or when the new airing time is. I would be completely lost without tvline, so with Matt’s help, i’m only PARTIALLY lost… >_> (worst offenders are probably the thursday night comedy line-up! i mean, how many time slots can a show be in during the course of a season! jeez)

16. pennylane says:

Whitney was fantastic last night. Loved it and can’t wait to see it again in the fall.
    I watch 2 episodes of Bent and was disappointed. I stuck with Whitney and gave it lots of time to improve and it came around massively so I feel that I can do the same for Bent. It takes time to get things working. So far, Bent is clunky and simply not funny even with a great cast…it can take time to work it out.

17. Magically Suspicious says:

I love Bent! And I’m a Whitney fan too, so I hope both shows get a chance to play on.

18. sylvia says:

I luv bent please renew…..seriousy hilarious….uv amanda peet and the hot guy…

19. grace says:

save bent

20. efi says:

bent is great!! please renew it for next season!!