30 Rock Scoop: Elizabeth Banks Set to Return in May – Will Avery Be Set Free?

Get More: Casting News

Is 30 Rock releasing Avery Jessup from captivity? That’s our guess in light of news that her portrayer, Elizabeth Banks, is set to make her first appearance on the show in over a year.

The busy Hunger Games actress has signed on to reprise her role as Jack’s (Alec Baldwin) other half — who’s currently being detained in North Korea and married against her will to Kim Jong-un — during May sweeps, TVLine has learned.

In other 30 Rock news, NBC officially confirmed earlier today that the show will go live again on Thursday, April 26. Here’s the (rather revealing) logline for the episode: “When their Kabletown bosses announce they will no longer pay for TGS to be a live show, Liz Lemon and Jack Donaghy realize their lives will actually be easier if they shoot canned episodes fast and cheap. Only Kenneth the Page objects, urging that nothing can replace the communal experience of live television. He tries to convince the TGS staff to fight for their right to be live by taking them and our audience through a magical look back at the illustrious history of Studio 6H.”

Comments (13)

• Good! I miss Avery. Plus, the gross tension between her mom and Jack needs to go.

Comment by Josh – March 29, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! This season got off to a poor start (for the superlative 30 Rock), but it’s now back on its game, and I can’t wait for the live episode next month, and now the return of Avery in May!

Comment by TV Gord – March 29, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Avery will be back! I really didn’t like story of Avery being captured – not funny at all. And it’s been super creepy to see Jack and his mother in law.

Comment by Sarah – March 29, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m going to ditto others’ comments about the jack and his mother-in-law storyline. yes, it’s funny because they’re the same age, but it’s not dwell on that too much please!

can’t wait for the live show! the previous one was hilarious! hopefully we’ll get some more guest stars a la Jon Hamm or Cheyenne Jackson.

Comment by Jess – March 29, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She definitely rocks as Effie in THE HUNGER GAMES. Can’t wait that much longer for the sequel Catching Fire soon (no release date yet) but it will come in the near future.

Comment by bad kevin – March 29, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • circa thanksgiving 2013!!

Comment by cj – March 29, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • double good news! avery returns AND another live show! am i the only who wants them to do a Noises Off style production??? if anyone could pull it off for live tv, THEY COULD.

Comment by cj – March 29, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to have that clip up on youtube of when Avery is talking and Brian Williams runs in and she yells at him to go break a story. Such a brief scene but it was so unexpected and fun, that I could just watch it again and again and still be amused.

Avery (and Ebanks in general) is great, can’t wait til she’s back!

Comment by Tee – March 29, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Go break a story Williams!” Love that scene!!

Comment by Rhonda – March 30, 2012 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who didn’t much care for her on 30 Rock? I think E. Banks is overrated.

Comment by Will – March 29, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re not the only one. I feel the same way, I groaned out loud when I saw the headline of this article. I’ve never been big on Elizabeth Banks, but I find her relationship with Jack to be really creepy, and I think it’s the age difference that grosses me out. But most of the women he’s been dating on the show I have not been crazy about, with the exception of his secret romance with Condoleeza Rice. For some reason, I found that hilarious. I’m also not crazy about them doing a live show again. I found it very unfunny the first time they did it. Sigh. I just don’t love 30 Rock the way I used to, and I hate that. Thank goodness for Community, it is the only thing rescuing my Thursday nights until Parks and Rec comes back.

Comment by Human Being – March 29, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re completely right…

Comment by Mitt Romney – March 30, 2012 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • get the hell out. she is so stupid and wanna be winner. she is rude. it is not good. i don t want to watch it. please try different

Comment by abuk sabuk – June 15, 2012 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post