Exclusive

Exclusive: Nestor Carbonell Joins ABC's Smart One Pilot — What Does This Mean for Ringer?

Ringer G-man Nestor Carbonell has joined The Smart One, ABC’s red-hot comedy pilot starring Portia de Rossi and Malin Akerman as dueling sisters.

The single-camera project, which counts Samantha Who? co-creator Donald Todd and De Rossi’s real-life spouse Ellen DeGeneres among its executive producers, centers on polar opposite siblings Jude (aka “The Smart One,” played by De Rossi) and Candy (“The Dumb One,” played by Akerman).

Carbonell is playing Jude’s ex, a wealthy real estate developer who has a Moonlighting-type relationship with her.

What does this mean for the Lost vet’s current role as FBI agent Machado on Ringer? I’m told Carbonell will appear in the Smart One pilot as a guest star. And while his contract with the potential new comedy does contain a series regular option, it’s in second position (see definition) to Ringer.

The Smart cast also includes David Arquette as Candy’s husband, Buddy, and Jean Smart as the girls’ mom.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive

1. SH says:

Please CW don’t cancel Ringer! I am watching it right now!

2. Sam says:

TVBytheNumbers is right: Ringer is dead. It’s time to accept it.

3. To quote Daniel Fienberg’s recent tweet: The same thing every other piece of second-position casting means.

C’mon.

• lauren says:

I don’t begrudge Ausiello this headline because the reality is every time a pilot casts an employed actor, a half dozen rubes will show up here to freak the eff out and ask the question in the headline. Cut out the middle man, I say.

4. mia says:

Noooo. I want it renewed.

But I also want this sitcom!

5. Russ says:

HEY! don’t jump to cancelled conclusion, his character could die.

• janie says:

Exactly, he could be killed off, I love ringer its a good show… I don’t think it will be cancelled I think he’ll be killed off, probably because siobhan wants him dead

6. DRW says:

I love Ringer so much, I look forward to it every week! Genuinely hope it’s given a chance for next season.

7. Superhero says:

Ringer’s dead, people. This news isn’t what confirms it, the abysmal ratings are. Suck it up and watch reruns of Buffy while longing for Sarah Michelle Gellar to find a role that doesn’t suck like the rest of us.

8. J says:

I hope CW does not cancel Ringer. I absolutely love this show. It’s my favorite new show of the season. I don’t miss an episode.

Nestor Carbonell is an asset to the show. I love his character, among others. He is a fantastic actor.

9. S says:

I would LOVE if CW renewed Ringer. Its been REALLY good. However, I wouldn’t mind if Nestor left. I dont feel like he adds much to the show…he just noses around and get’s into people’s business.

10. Cathy says:

I will watch him in just about anything, and I actually like Ringer, so I hope it doesn’t get canceled. However, does anyone else wonder why he doesn’t seem to age?

11. Donna says:

Come on. The question of why Nestor Carbonell doesn’t age was answered on Lost. Just sit back and enjoy the pretty.

12. Reward says:

It’s normal Ringer has a low rating. This show is completly different for the CW’s target. If CW wants to change, he has to keep Ringer safe! Because the change that CW wants, can’t be done only in 1 year! So, CW, KEEP RINGER SAFE and cancelled GG and 90210!

13. Julie C. says:

I agree that ringer’s type of show is new and different in a good way. I hope it doesn’t get cancelled like Journeyman was. Both shows are similar in that they had both romance and action. Ringer is edgy, twisty. Definitely not predictable. It has movie qualities in it. Good set designs, camera story and beautiful cast. I care about this show and am definitely going to buy the season set if they decide to market it in the tv DVD section at BestBuy!

14. Chrispy says:

Ringer is a fun show. But it also shows what a limited range Sarah Michelle Gellar has. Yes, I know the Buffy fanboys and genre fans will have a conniption, but it’s true – she’s limited. She plays both roles exactly the same, and there’s an aloofness to her that’s off-putting as a series lead. The show would be much better with an actress who could do both roles justice.

• RLS says:

I’m the biggest Buffy fanboy you could ever possibly find, and you’re totally right. I stuck it out with Ringer through episode 9 I think, and now I just don’t care anymore. What Ringer showed us all is that we were tricked by Joss Whedon’s awesome writing and the amazing stories Buffy told into thinking that SMG is some great actress. She’s not. Ringer is an embarrassment to her because it really is highlighting her extreme limitations as an actress.

If I were her, I’d take a break off for a few years and come back to do something different. And she needs to stop trying to take Executive Producer credit on everything and just be an actress and find a project that is a good fit.

15. Ross says:

I hope it might just mean that his character is getting killed off from Ringer. The show could do with a big death in the finale and he is the most disposable.
    And I would hate to see Ringer cancelled. It has become a real guilty pleasure since coming back from its mid-season break. It’s as ridiculous as a daytime soap-opera but I’m loving every twist they throw in. I would miss it, but then I can’t really see what else the CW could get rid of to make way for new series in the fall…

16. Chalvin says:

I love Ringer so much. It’s not like anything I have seen before. The story just makes me craving for it and I’d be disappointed if they cancelled the show.

17. Kelly says:

I love Ringer, but it’s the worst performer on the CW in the demo and is getting cancelled. Carbonell is not needed on the show, though.

18. sarah says:

Ringer is such a good show and I will be very dissapointed if the cancel it!

19. Mikry M says:

Ringer is hanging on by a thread now. Don’t be surprised if it is cancelled. Revenge is everything that Ringer wished it could be.

• Lambsilencer says:

And that thread just got a tad thicker. Ringer posted a 0.5 demo rating this week, with 1.1 million viewers, which is up a tenth.

Hey, we take everything we get, right? :)

20. buckeyegrrl says:

well, looks at Damon Wayans Jr. – he did a half season of “Happy Endings” but then did the “New Girl” pilot (before going back to HE). “Happy Endings” had a slow start but it is gradually becoming a solid part of ABC’s Wednesday comedy night. “New Girl” is one of the most popular new shows.

So, just because an actor decides to do another show doesn’t mean his first gig is going to be canceled.

I hope Portia De Rossi can finally land a show that sticks. She’s been unlucky enough to have multiple great shows cancelled before their time. This looks like it has potential.

21. Love Both says:

@Mikry M- “Revenge is everything Ringer wished it could be”-Actually,some might say the opposite is true. Also, I would not count Ringer out yet. So far this season-I’ve watched both Ringer & Revenge . I have enjoyed both,but, I’ve had more fun moments with Ringer. Revenge is good. Ringer is gooooooooood.

22. Rose says:

I love Ringer and hope they don’t cancel the show. It’s soooo good, really.
    Okay, so I might not have watched it live on some days since I have the season pass from iTunes which I think was a bad marketing strategy from the CW.
    I love Carbonell’s Machado on the show.