Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Whoopi Goldberg Set to Play Rachel and Kurt's [Spoiler] in May Sweeps Arc

Rachel and Kurt’s post-McKinley fate rests in Whoopi Goldberg‘s hands.

Glee sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that the Oscar winning actress-turned-View master has signed on for an extremely pivotal multi-episode arc.

Goldberg will play Carmen Tibideaux, a theatrical grande dame and a professor at New York Academy of the Dramatic Arts (NYADA) who travels to Ohio to preside over Kurt and Rachel’s auditions — and apparently she sticks around long enough to deliver a verdict: I’m told she’ll appear in roughly three episodes, the first of which is set to air on May 1. (Glee‘s season finale is set for May 22.)

Fox Announces Finale Dates for GleeBonesNew GirlAmerican Idol and Others

Fun fact: The New York-based Goldberg accepted the gig despite her well documented fear of flying (Gleeshoots in Los Angeles). Of course, last month she headed West to shoot an episode of The Middle playing Sue’s guidance counselor (it airs May 2), so perhaps she’s developing a friendlier relationship with the skies? [UPDATE: An Middle insider tells us that Goldberg actually travelled to L.A. in a fancy schmancy bus, not an airplane.)

Prior to the back-to-back Glee/Middle stints, Goldberg’s last scripted TV series role was in Benjamin Bratt’s A&E drama The Cleaner.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive

1. Millo says:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

2. Josh says:

Glee, continuing the grand tradition of no stunting casting and keeping promises.

It’s the only way Glee is consistent.

3. alex says:

Did I dream up Ryan Murphy’s “not more stunt casting special stars” policy? Oh, right, that was in conjunction with more even storylines and character development…..

• Lindsey says:

He said that in regards to the first half of the season. They’re now filming the second half.

• Josh says:

No he said “season 3…” He didn’t specify which half.

• Chiara says:

Do you really think that they already know what they were going to do even before S3 started. Yes, it was in regards to the first half. Deal with it!

• dude says:

No, his exact words were “right now we’re just focusing on the first 12 episodes” the only guest star they had in the first half of the season was Shelby who was a returning character involved in a major arc, not a stunt casting. Ryan was referring to the first half of the season when he said “no stunt casting” and he kept his word on that. Do you think showrunners have every episode of the season planned out the summer before? He has no way of knowing they won’t need a guest star somewhere down the line which is why he made no such promise.

• Chiara says:

What Lindsey said.

• murley says:

i am so sorry ryan murphy lied to you. :(

• Carrie says:

I think there is a difference between stunt casting, and scripting the show around the guest star (ala Gwyneth Paltrow’s appearances) and landing a guest star in a storyline dictated role – the Rachel/Kurt/NYADA story has been a big part of the “what will I do when I graduate” theme of this season. Ricky Martin? Now that was some (yummy) stunt casting, when Schue suddenly can’t speak Spanish, but the nightschool hottie can show him how it’s done. I’m happy to see Whoopi on Glee, and even happier new episodes are heading our way.Anyone know what happened to Javier Bardem’s appearance?

• guest05 says:

Nope, But I sure agree with your comment.. and come on, when they can get Whoopi to say yes, it’ll -hopefully- be amazing!

4. James says:

How awful.

5. Nick says:

Whoppi takes a bus! She took that to do the Middle!

• Rock Golf says:

Starships she had no trouble flying in, but she won’t take a plane!!!

When was the last time a 747 was attacked by the Borg collective, Whoopi?

6. holla can't words rn. says:

CACKLING.

Wow. That is crazy.

Am I wrong for liking all the guest stars on glee? Whoopi Goldberg… that’s wow. Awesome.

7. LaKeeau says:

She’s gone to England for the stage production of Sister Act. She’s done segments on The View to help her fear of flying.

8. maru says:

really GLEE? i mean…i loooove Whoopi but to have a guest star in evry single episode!!!!! this is no more Glee is like…singing with the stars or something!! i want to see the whole cast witch is a huge cast acting and performing why they have to include so many others!!??

• Josh says:

This is what happens when ratings fall.

• yep says:

Stop watching a flailing show if that is your opinion. There are many of us who want to support and enjoy Glee without reading and hearing your banter. If you feel it is so aweful then those of you who condemn and criticize the show as a weekly commentary please refrain from these forums where we who support and enjoy the show can share good news. Thank you.

9. Seamus says:

“…who travels to Ohio to preside over Kurt and Rachel’s auditions…”
    Really, Glee, really?
    What arts school does that? And an extremely elite one on top of that.
    I just can’t with that stupid storyline.

• Chiara says:

Some school does audition in different countries, did you know that??

• Seamus says:

Sure. It must be so damn hard to fill those 20 spots at prestigeous NYADA, they have to send their professors to every applicant‘s small town home in the US and abroad to assess them.
        Maybe that‘s why it‘s so late and still no decision made: It must them take ages to do so (and cost them a fortune, too. Boy, that school must be expensive!).

• Benji says:

When, exactly, did the show become realistic?

• Lisa Q says:

Lol. Good one

• Emma says:

they way Glee handled the whole college application process (not just Rachel and Kurt) was infinitely entertaining to watch, especially AS a senior going through the exact same process (I wish I could get in to a prestigious arts academy with nothing but glee club, a school musical, and a student election on my resume…)

• yep says:

It is a show-a fictional show-where fiction and realistic social issues combined are portrayed. That is the way lots of shows do-not just Glee.

• marti1013 says:

Actually in the first season, Rachel stated she’d joined just about EVERY social and academic club offered by the school, as well as having extensive training in ballet, dance, music and vocal. what amazes me is that KURT is even considered for NYADA since he has, oh none of that. Also, something that’s a little unrealistic, is that Rachel has planned on going to NYC for school since embryonic stage, but she didn’t know Julliard DIDN’T have a performing arts, nor did she know what NYADA was. Bull! Of course, it’s TV and they have to make the conflict for the actors so the storylines are vaguely interesting. We just have to suspend our disbelief. Alot.

• Disco says:

It bothers me too. A typical successful audition process: you submit a tape/DVD/youtube link, you audition in a cattle call in a major city (for them, probably Chicago), you get callbacks on campus, you interview with varying faculty, you get accepted in your program.

Glee’s successful audition process: you submit a school application without any performance recording, you attract faculty members from the school to your hometown for several weeks (long after most seniors should have chosen a school), audition hijinks ensue, you get accepted into a special program made up just for you/your best friend.

• yep says:

But we don’t know if Kurt and Rachel did send in tape auditions initially to NYADA. Rachel mentioned she had to have several letters of recommendation. 6 episodes left doesn’t give Glee enough time to show the whole real life process for auditions, cattle calls, multiple performancesto any school much less a made up school NYADA in NY. It is fiction no different than characters having conversations off screen just screen time to exhibit a certain part of a story line. This is TV a show. It cannot show everything step by step as in real life too much time in all the background stuff. Lots of nay sayers are getting really literal to the point of absurd complaints of this show. I don’t wish to be anything but accepting of your comments but they are so absolutely ridiculous banter just to bash the show. You don’t like it stop watching it and stop wasting your time critizing it. If I felt like you there are so many other fun things to do with my time.

• murley says:

oh good. finally someone who understands the point of watching television and the process of being entertained. how refreshing.

• Kaley says:

So watching television and feeling entertained is a process I have to understand first to enjoy? Interesting theory. I always thought Glee was a huge trainwreck but maybe I‘m just not intelectually up to the task. LOL!!!

• Seamus says:

It‘s Glee claiming to be realistic and being preachy in some parts (suicide storyline, car crash) and completely unrealistic in others (like this season long story arc for two of their main characters). If they want to be preachy: Tell people to write better applications without forgetting all your extracuricular activities and have safety schools. If you want do be cracky and have your NYADA-professors travelling all states and hometowns: Don‘t do tearful suicide-stories. This mix just doesn‘t work anymore and it‘s putting me off what was once my favorite show. And I can rant about that all I want, that‘s what these comments sections are for. If you think Glee is still quality entertainment and can‘t bear people criticizing it spend your time doing all those fun stuff you are talking about instead of lecturing people for having a different opinion.

10. a says:

and yet Gloria Estefan hasn’t even began shooting…

11. jasie says:

I like whoopi but this show has gotten ridiculous.

12. coppercurls says:

Yeah! I love whoppi, she will make Glee ten time better :)

13. Claire says:

Actually some arts high schools have auditions and decisions at the school. It encourages more competition and more students to audition for programs.

14. Julie says:

AWESOME! Great casting — I love me some crazy Whoopi — plus I’m glad to hear that Rachel & Kurt’s NYADA plans will get a multi-episode arc. It’s an important story for 2 important characters.

15. eric says:

Hehehe, viewmaster

16. It’s only entertainment people, don’t get into such an uproar over something so insignificant to real life.

• Chiara says:

True. What I try to say everytime. People get really ridicolous sometimes….

• yep says:

I just said much more than that. If I felt like they do there are so many other things that I could do with my time that are way more fun than waste time on forums like this 1 just to complain to complain. I feel sorry for those who love to hear themselves complain. I would think it would be deafening and boring.

17. blabla says:

more guest stars…just great. and the nyada storyline is crap.
    Glee, why u so stupid?

18. Anna says:

I love this idea.

19. Norj says:

Awesome but still waiting for Gloria Estefan! Maybe they should focus on one guest star before signing up others.

20. Samantha says:

GOD, I wish she’d been cast as Sister Mary Clarence.

21. Bam Bam says:

I remember Molly Shannon being cast as a *regular* on Glee, and she literally had two lines.

22. Oh the complainers and naysayers.
    If it upsets you, that much, that they’re attempting to introduce you to an iconic figure, within the vocal and acting arena, then don’t watch.
    Whoopi is an amazing actress and will, more than likely, bring lots of humour with her in the episodes she is in.
    I, for one, think it’s a genius idea to bring her into the fold.
    Most of you are too young to even know the significance of having someone like Whoopi Goldberg join an ensemble cast like this. It’s amazing.

• Josh says:

But it is just about ratings, so let us not pretend there is any other reason.

• murley says:

what television shows don’t try and get interesting and popular stars play significant guest roles? i don’t really understand why the idea of glee casting cool random famous people in various guest spots is so offensive. it is called television. it really isn’t supposed to make you this mad.

• Chiara says:

I totally agree with you :)

• yep says:

Well said Jennifer. People say it is for ratings. It is the main arc for the entire run of Glee. This was Rachel’s dream of New York and stardom. She has to go to school first-NYADA is her and Kurt’s first steps into the adult world of music and Broadway to stardom. Whoopi is a wonderful choice for this role and will bring something extra to this story line. I cannot wait for Whoopi and Glee. Those of you may not remember some of her comedic roles in film that were amazing to watch. This is gold star.

23. Blainers says:

“No more guest stars this season” Ryan Murphy says as he tries to get hold of every celebrity available.
    Not complaining about Whoopi though :)

24. I love Whoopi, and I love Glee, so what a great combo!! The last great combo she did was Star Trek, NG. I think Glee is great without all of the guest stars, but it’s fun to watch them. Glad she took whatever measures she needed to in order to do the show!

25. Frank says:

Hey what the heck ever happened to having Gloria Estefan on the show?

• I think I never heard of Gloria Estefan appearence officially from Glee (on twitter for example)… On the contrary, they told us about Ricky Martin, Matt Bomer, and Whoopi… Sooo, was it official? Maybe it was only a rumour… That’s why I have stopped reading spoilers!!

26. John K. says:

Ever since I went to see A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum on Broadway hoping for Nathan Lane, only to see Whoopi in the lead role instead, I’ve had an irrational hatred of her.

27. Nikicakes says:

I hope Kurt doesn’t get into NYADA. He needs to stay in Lima with Blaine. I think it’s very selfish of him to leave Blaine alone. Why can’t he go to school in Ohio?

• hehehe says:

I hope Kurt doesn’t get into NYADA. Not because I give a toss about Blaine… But just because I hate Kurt with a burning passion and would like to see him fail at life in general.

• Nikicakes says:

LOL! You sound like a cutie patootie. As long as my Blainers is happy I don’t care.

• quindepend says:

If you were a Blaine fan, you’d know that Blaine would not be fine with holding Kurt back. He respects musical theater, ambition and Kurt far too much for that. You’re a total faker, woops.

• Nikicakes says:

Blaine would never expect Kurt to give up his dreams. That’s true. But after leaving his school and friends to be with Kurt at McKinley, doesn’t it just seem a little selfish for Kurt to be going off to New York by himself? I can’t be the only one who feels this way. It would be Karmic justice for Kurt to not get into NYADA.

• hehehe says:

As long as Kurt is unhappy and off-sceen so I can’t see him crying ever again, I’m gleeful.

• quindepend says:

stfu, tinydancer.

• Lindsey says:

It’s selfish of Blaine to hold Kurt back from his dreams.

• Nikicakes says:

Blaine has given everything up for Kurt. Including almost losing his eye. Kurt can wait one year. BTW, I wish they would’ve gotten a real theater person to plan the Grand Dame. Bernadette Peters would’ve been a fabulous choice.

• AC says:

Dont’ get me wrong…I LOVE Kurt but I hope Kurt doesnt get into NYADA because it’s realistic. He doesnt have any extracurricular activities outside of Glee Club and a supporting role in the school play. If NYADA is as competitive as Glee wants us to believe, there is no way he’d be accepted over other students across the country. But then again, this is Glee and we are supposed to constantly suspend our reality in order to buy into some of the ridiculous storylines they keep feeding us.

• thefirstmrshummel says:

Because giving up on your dreams because of your boyfriend/girlfriend is sad, pathethic and wasteful?

• Mark says:

Selfish? LOL. If Kurt had any self-respect he’d have dumped Blaine after Blaine tried to date-rape him, after Blaine flirted shamelessly with Sebastian for how many episodes, after Blaine didn’t do anything for him for Valentine’s Day (but had time to come sing a pointless song at a party).

It pains me that so many little girls think Klaine is a romantic relationship.

• loserlikesquee says:

Kurt said he wanted to do it. Just not in the back of a car after drinking. ¬_¬ He wanted to do it in a field of tulips under a double rainbow or something.

Sebastian has flirted *At him*. Blaine’s had no reaction to it, besides shyness and maybe thinking Sebastian is mildly interesting because he puts whiskey in his expresso and screwed some french boys in Paris.

28. Sean C. says:

So are they ever going to follow through on their announcement that Gloria Estefan would play Santana’s mom, or was that just a lie to try and mute the anger over their atrocious handling of Santana’s coming out that they had no intention of following through on?

29. hehehe says:

I think it’s time for Kurt and Rachel to get hit by a truck. That’ll teach them to mess with my Quinn.

• Nikicakes says:

Quinn’s kind of boring. I won’t miss her if she doesn’t come back next season.

• hehehe says:

Quinn is the most interesting layered character after Rachel Berry. And the writers constantly screw her over with psychotic “plot lines”.

She needs to come back next season YALE 2013!!!

• Nikicakes says:

You’re joking right? Diana Agron’s a beautiful girl, but Quinn’s storyline has been a trainwreck since season 2.

• yep says:

I agree. Quinn was an intriguing character season 1. But they tried to make Quinn solemn after s1 and go through inner turmoil and she never stopped going through turmoil even through most of season 3. Quinn has never been able to find any happiness until recently Yale acceptance then this auto accident. Quinn IMO never gets a break. S2 was a diminished role for Quinn more background character and even more season 3. Dianna’s decision to stay or go won’t make a difference in the story lines for the show. Dianna is gorgeous, talented and wouldn’t suprise me if the Quinn character does not return for season 4.

• hebry says:

Dianna doesn’t get to decide if she stays or goes that is up it RIB. She is under contract if they want to keep her they will. They probably don’t, Quinn is expendable.

• the says:

Quinn isn’t intriguing becasue she is played by an utterly mediocre actress.

30. Lindsey says:

You guys. Ryan Murphy said there would be no guest stars for the first half of the season.
    Glee is now filming the second half of season three.
    His comment does not apply anymore.
    Stop complaining.

31. Kelsey says:

I dont know why people are being huffy over guest stars!! Glee has had guest stars since season 1! & I think the show is getting better each season!!

32. kelly says:

i’m so glad to see whoopi acting again, wish she was in movies again.

33. thefirstmrshummel says:

I don’t think I have a problem with the Whoopi casting, despite my usual disdain for “stunt” casting on Glee, especially this season when we were promised little to none of it.

When I’ve thought about categorizing a casting as a stunt, it’s because it seems like the guest star is there just for the purpose of being a guest star, like Gweneth Paltrow or Ricky Martin. Those roles didn’t move the plot at all, or the stories of the existing characters very much.

But because Whoopi’s character is going to be intrinsically tied into a major storyline – what happens to Kurt and Rachel after graduation – I think I’m okay with it, especially since she’s an established actress with years of dramatic and comedic experience. As long as her character enhances Rachel and Kurt’s storyline, and doesn’t obscure it with a bunch of off-topic crap I don’t care about, I think I’m down for it.

• Nikicakes says:

Look for Rachel and Kurt to be attending Lima University next season. I’m calling it now.

• AceTygra says:

Ugggh! Please dont tell me they are pulling a “90210″ or a “Facts Of Life” where everyone just happens to go to the local state university that was never even mentioned before the 4th season just to keep the characters on the show!

34. Chiara says:

To those who complain about another guest star… So, let’s listen to you, who should play the NYADA professor, Will Shuester?? It was obvious since the begin of the Nyada storyline that they would have to cast a guest star to play the professor, and Whoope is an AMAZING star and worthy of Glee. Let’s just enjoy and stop complaing for once!!

35. handsal says:

I hate Whoopie Goldberg. She said some messed up things re Roman Polanski.

36. Lisa Q says:

Some of you guys are really intense. It is just a show and it is fictional. It is entertainment and not meant to be reality. Sheesh.

37. ggny says:

this isnt stunt casting they needed someone for the role and they found a great actress for the role…Seriously they had to find someone so why not Whoopie? Would you rather have a random person play a key role in the series? No…Now shut up

38. Lindsey says:

Glee Guest Star Count

Season one: Kristin Chenoweth, Victor Garber, Idina Menzel, John Lloyd Young, Jonathan Groff, Eve, Neil Patrick Harris, Molly Shannon, Josh Groban, Olivia Newton John. (11, I probably missed a few..)

Season two: Cheyenne Jackson, John Stamos, Britney Spears, Charice, Gwyneth Paltrow, Katie Couric, Carol Burnett, Kathy Griffin, Loretta Devine, Darren Criss. (10, again, I probably missed a few..)

Season three: Jeff Goldblum, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Helen Mirren in a voice-over, NeNe Leakes, Ricky Martin, Whoopi Goldberg, Gloria Estefan(?). (7, so far.. still not more than season one or two)

• Disco says:

Season 1: Sara Rue (Suzy Pepper)
      Season 2: Meat Loaf, Barry Bostwick
      Season 3: Lindsay Lohan

May cooler heads prevail, Lindsey.

• yep says:

But look at most shows on TV. A guest star is almost always for the main plot. ie. NCIS, CSI(NY Miami and LV), Hawaii Five-O, Harry’s Law, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. The list goes on. My suggestion to those of you who don’t like the show is watch reality TV. It would be more realistic for you.

• Lindsey says:

I wasn’t complaining about the guest stars? If you’ve seen my earlier comments, I’m all for the guest stars.. I was just pointing out that the earlier seasons have had many guest stars and that many people complaining have been overlooking that.

• yep says:

I understand. I apologize if you think I was commenting to you personally. My comment was for all the others who choose to be negative in abundance. I’ve made a recent comment that almost all shows have at least one guest star per episode. As in just about every TV show on air. There are exceptions from time to time but as a whole it is common practice for a story line requiring a certain character not central to the show be given emphasis. NCIS, CSI, The Good Wife, Harry’s Law, the list goes on and on. These are examples of a one hour show which includes Glee.

• Lindsey says:

Ahh. Okay. When I read your comment I was like, “woah, woah, woah, I’m on your side!” And yes, I definitely agree in regards to other TV shows. I feel like some people are just trying to find reasons to complain because of the hiatus..

39. Nikicakes says:

I just read where they’re casting Lindsey Lohan as one of the judges for Nationals. No I am not kidding. Glee is looking more desperate all of the time.

40. shiremaid says:

Hmmmm I may actually watch those 3 episodes with Whoopi.

41. Jenny says:

Awesome! I am so excited for this!

• yep says:

Me 2. I think it will be great. Whoopi is awesome and deserves a shot to show her comedic talents and her stellar acting skills.

42. carrir ware says:

Wow that’s great I love her. This.is going to be fun watching.

43. BJ says:

To me it does not seem feasible that Kurt and Rachel only applied to NYADA. Wouldn’t they have a back-up plan for university if NYADA does not work out?

44. bleep says:

Like it or not, high ratings are what keep a show going, so if they decide to guest star high profile celebrities while still carrying through with the show’s plot, then let them. I don’t see why some of you are so bothered by the appearance of these “stunt-cast” actors. It’s not like YOU’RE paying them…and if you think they make for a crappy viewing experience or whatever,nobody’s holding a gun to your head, forcing you to watch Glee. Change the channel and spare yourself the “abuse” and let those of us who enjoy the show (warts and all) keep watching it. Whatever Ryan Murphy said is subject to change based on the public’s reception. If people respond better to episodes with guest stars, then the show will give them that. A show IS made for an audience afterall…so they have to strike a balance between what THEY want and what the audience wants. Whatever their reasons, the banter of a few haters isn’t going to change a thing so just quit wasting your time, people. Let Glee be Glee and just deal with it or quit. Simple as that.

45. March says:

OMG! OMG! The Glee season finale airs on my B-DAY!!!

46. Tyler says:

Anne Hathaway has been wanting to guest star on this show for two years and instead Ryan Murphy gives us Lindsay Lohan. Matt Bomer is handsome. It’ll be nice to see Blaine shown up by someone else for a change.

• hy says:

Bomer is wasted on Plaine.

Urhg I didn’t want Anne cause then they would have rehashed Kurt coming out or adjustment to being gay in Lima.

All the while he could have turnrd to Mr and Mr Berry about it.

47. J says:

yes! i want her to sing I Will Follow You with new direction

48. Kaley says:

Whoopie might be the first stunt cast this season I‘ll really enjoy! Too bad they involve her in that awful college storyline that had so many WTF-moments from the start. But maybe she can redeem some of them with her awesomeness.

49. herculeon says:

Well the what is Ryan Murphys Excuse for casting Lindsay Lohan if not STUNT CASTING???

50. scrutinizer says:

great to hear whoopi will be on the middle. love that show! hope there are some good scenes with her and sue.