Josie Loren on Make It or Break It's Big Makeover and the Exit of Revenge's Josh Bowman

Get More: Interviews, Previews, Scoop

Women LeotardsABC Family’s Make It or Break It vaults into its long-awaited third season tonight (9/8c), but will anyone recognize it? The gymnastics drama underwent a major facelift during its lengthy hiatus, one that featured the departure of several fan favorites as well as the arrival of a handful of fresh faces. In the following Q&A, leading lady Josie Loren (pictured, center) gives TVLine an overview of MIOBI 2.0 and previews Kaylie’s love life, a surprising new friendship for two of the competing girls and more!

Pretty Little Liars Boss Talks Outing ‘A’, Who Really Killed Alison and Whether [Spoiler] Is Dead

TVLINE | It’s taken so long to find out not just when the show would be back.
Oh, you’re telling me! [Laughs] Believe me, we know! It took forever.

TVLINE | Did you ever have a moment where you thought, “We’re not coming back. That was it”?
Oh, absolutely. Actually, when they called to tell me that it had been picked up, I had almost forgotten that that was still on the table. People ask me, “How’d you react when you found out it was picked up?” Honestly, I was shocked and a little surprised. I’m like, “Really? That’s still going on?”

TVLINE | What was the hold up?
I think a lot of it had to do with ABC Family [getting] a new president [Michael Riley succeeded Paul Lee as president in August 2010]. Last year, for pilot season, they picked up a lot of new pilots. They were trying new things with the network. So they wanted to see how those new shows were going to do. Once some of them didn’t do as well as expected, that’s when they picked us up again. They had us on the backburner there for a while.

TVLINE | There have been a lot of changes between seasons. Obviously, Emily [played by Chelsea Hobbs] is gone. And they have to write out Josh Bowman somehow because he’s on Revenge now.
Oh yeah, we take care of that in the first episode. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Does it feel like a new show to you?
Absolutely. I feel like Make It or Break It got a makeover in every sense of the word. We’re in a different place. It doesn’t take place at The Rock anymore. The national team is now fighting for their spots on the Olympic team. … So it takes place at the U.S. training center, [which] is not only for gymnastics. It’s for every Olympic sport. So you have an abundance of new characters – wrestlers, volleyball players, BMK riders, swimmers, all sorts of really cool stuff. It’s kind of like Make It or Break It goes to college because we all stay in the dorms. … With that comes a lot of new characters, a lot of new storylines. It’s great. … I think people are really going to love the changes that we made. I think it makes for a much better show.

Make It or Break It Season 3TVLINE | Can you talk about some of the new characters and the dynamics with them?
There’s three new characters – the new coach and two new girls. The [new] coach [played by Dondre Whitfield] is a stark contrast to [old coach] Sasha. … He doesn’t play games. He’s not there to hold your hand through it all. If you don’t have your stuff together, then you’re out. It’s kind of nice because it’s the reality of the sport, especially when you get to that level. [One of the new girls] plays the bad girl that we never had. Lauren Tanner was a bad girl, but Jordan [Chelsea Tavares] is a lot more of a rebel. She’s very independent. She’s very much her own person. She doesn’t care what anybody thinks. She’s going to do her thing, and she has a specific way she’s going to do it. She’s not going to let anybody tell her otherwise. She definitely adds a lot of conflict this season. The other girl [Amanda Leighton], she has some great storylines. She’s unlike any other character we’ve seen. She’s definitely going to come out with a lot of surprises. She’s a really bubbly, annoying kind of character. And she’s hilarious. Honestly, she’s really, really funny. She’s kind of the comedic relief of it all.

Pretty Little Liars‘ ‘A’ Talks Big Reveal, Her Team of Helpers and Upcoming Time Jump

TVLINE | Kaylie has a lot on her plate. What’s the biggest challenge for her in the new season?
For the first time ever, Kaylie feels like a third wheel because Lauren and Payson actually end up developing a really strong relationship. So her biggest thing this season is dealing with that isolation, which is really hard because she’s never been in that position. … And then towards the end… Kaylie is the rock for everyone. She’s there for everyone. And she’s been through so much. It makes her a lot more mature than all the other girls. She’s like the voice of reason. It comes to a point where she just breaks. Things happen, and she’s treated unfairly, and she breaks. She becomes really, really overwhelmed with everything.

TVLINE | Is the eating disorder going to continue to haunt her as she heads towards the Olympics?
It’s a life-long battle. It’s definitely mentioned a couple times throughout the season, and she talks about it, but it’s one of those things that it’s under control. Although she’s still challenged by it, she has really grown and become a different person. It doesn’t rule her life like it used to. But you still see her writing in her journal like she’s supposed to and talking about it with other characters.

Make It or Break It Season 3TVLINE | And how are things going on the relationship front with Austin?
[Laughs] Great, kind of. You’ll have to see… It’s really nice to do that because Kaylie hasn’t had a boyfriend for so long. It’s nice to give her that breath of fresh air. You see the joy that she obviously takes in being with Austin. She’s just really happy, and she deserves it. I think it’s great that Make It or Break It took Austin and Kaylie to the next level because [the show features] a lot of toxic relationships like Lauren and Carter…. But with Austin and Kaylie, they use us as the model for a perfect relationship. Like it should be about trusting each other and supporting each other and working together. It was nice to be able to play that and to show teenagers, especially teenage girls, what you should expect from a relationship.

TVLINE | So Austin’s being a good boy? He doesn’t need to be reigned in?
Well… We all have our moments, let’s put it that way. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Are you sick of the leotards yet?
Oh my God, I was sick of them after Season 1! Yeah, we hate it. There’s no way to sugarcoat it. It’s part of our job, so you do it. You’re lucky to have a job, so you do it gladly. But it sucks! It totally sucks.

Comments (33)

• I don’t know if I’ll watch with three of my favourite characters. Really loved Sasha, Emily and Max. I’m going to miss them.

Comment by amelyrose – March 26, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Sasha? Ah well I guess I won’t be watching them. Neil Jackson, was seriously the only actor who didn’t overact on that show.

Comment by Ann De Vries – March 26, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SPOILER ALERT!

Well, theb you might miss Sasha poppping up later down the line. Neil Jackson was busy filming “Upstairs/Downstairs” in the UK, but after ge was finished, he went back to “Make It Or Break It” for the end of the season. How many episodes he’ll be in remains to be seen.

Comment by Lambsilencer – March 26, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey the new coach could be fired about half way through and they get Sasha, kinda like in the first season with Marty.

Comment by Russ – March 26, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad now that Chelsea Hobbs is gone but I don’t know what really happen to her character but I got my DJ Tanner fix (Candace Cameron Bure).

Comment by bad kevin – March 26, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chelsea Hobbs was pregnant in real life she is having her second child. So I’m guessing since she obviously couldn’t perfom the routines anymore that is why they had her character get pregnant on the show. I was sooo mad that they had her character get pregnant at first, b/c of everythign they had her go through. BUT when I found out why I was happy for the actress.

Comment by Carrie – March 26, 2012 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I did not now she was pregnant. And i thought she got elimenated for trying to get Kaylie being on the olympic team when she snuk cold and flu medicine in her smoothie. sooooooo glad Lauren found out what she was realy doing.

Comment by Camden Pate – May 19, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • (spoiler alert) that was not Chelsea Hobbs’ character (Emily), the one trying to get Kaylie eliminated was Amanda Leighton’s character (Wendy) who did that.

Comment by Vi – May 21, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad kevin, emily got pregnant by damon and went to live with her grandma in las vegas. I miss emily but am looking foward to jordan. I dont like how they go through coaches(marty,darby,sasha)

Comment by Brandy – March 26, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i stopped watching when emily left. all the changes didnt really give you time to invest in any of the characters. imo

Comment by tatiana – March 26, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • after a while, I only watched this show for Sasha and Summer. if they’re gone, then I don’t think I’m gonna keep watching.

Comment by rachelle – March 26, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to give it a chance but going on without Sasha and Emily and even to some extent Max is going to be a really hard sell. They treat relationships like crap on this show. It’s a never ending merry go round of boyfriend/girlfriend exchange. I’m really really glad to hear they aren’t doing that with Kaylie and Austin. It’s about freaking time that they had a stable relationship (besides Mr. and Mrs. Keeler) on the show. Payson finally finds a guy and now they have to write him out because they twiddled their thumbs for too long and he is on another show. Blech. I totally understand what they did with Emily (Chelsea Hobbs had it coming) but that doesn’t mean I like it. As for losing Sasha, that is pure crap and it irritates me…. a lot.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – March 26, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I for one am happy to hear that Summer is GONE! (Hopefully!) Her entire story line got a little old after a while.

Comment by Srgg – March 26, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your headline said that Josh Bowman is leaving Revenge, but then there were no details in the article. What gives with that?

Comment by MaryAnn – March 26, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No it didn’t. Josh Bowman was on Make it or Break it before he was on Revenge. It’s an article about how he left the first show to join the latter.

Comment by Sara – March 26, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • >_<

Comment by This is awkward – March 26, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Made the same mistake. I was like “WHAT?! Josh Bowman is leaving Revenge?”

Comment by kewi94 – March 26, 2012 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am 40 and can’t wait for the return! I am glad Emily is gone. She really got annoying toward the end. Really hope Sasha pops up though. Not digging the commercials with that new chick though. She doesn’t appear to have any redeeming qualities. I hate Max has to go but am so glad he’s on Revenge! I just want to see them make it to the Olympics. What about Kelly Parker???

Comment by GS – March 26, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First off, sorry about the typos in my earlier post. Tying on an iPhone with a bandaged hand is no joke, I tell you… :)

SPOILER ALERT!

Kelly Parker will very much be a part of the new season. After being more of a bad girl back in the day, she will be becoming more of a friend to the girls, especially Kaylie, in the new episodes.

Comment by Lambsilencer – March 26, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good! I really started to like her at the end of last season. Hope we don’t see her monster mom though. Kathy Najimy did a great job making her detestable.

Comment by GS – March 26, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After watching the first episode of season 3 last night, I have to say that they need more of Sasha desperately and I hope that his comeback won’t be solely for him to sit with the audience and watch the girls medal (or not because of the new clueless coach)

Comment by joannahearts – March 27, 2012 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I really want to see Emily comeback to fufil her olympic dream and mend her relationship with Damon

Comment by jad69 – March 30, 2012 03:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so there’s absolutely no chance of Emily coming back? honestly she was probably my favorite character so that would suck but i do still enjoy the show. I was also really looking forward to seeing what would happen between Payson and Max so I’m disappointed that he’s out too. I was hoping the rock girls wouldn’t totally act as the Emily never existed and that maybe they would hear news of how she’s doing or something along those lines and give her a chance for a return but i suppose it would be too much :(

Comment by Sybrant64 – April 6, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Sasha comes back to this new season! Don’t like the new coach!

Comment by Bahar – April 12, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t understand why in the series finale they didn’t show them at the Olympics? Don’t you think they should have shown them that’s the whole point of the show! Comments please!!!

Comment by Abby r – May 14, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish they wouldn’t end the series! I really wanted to see them compete in the olympics!

Comment by JC – May 15, 2012 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So this was it! No summer premiere?? There wont be a season 3 episode 9???! Anyone pls tell me:(

Comment by NaviGill – May 15, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey so I was wondering are there any more episodes after episode 40 cause I really really love this show so if anyone knows plz plz plz with cherrys on top reply

Comment by a.k.d – May 25, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when will the season 3 episode 9 be out???? can’t wait to watch it!!! going mad thinking of what will hapen next :P, seeing this show had made me a part of it!!!!

Comment by Tatshini – June 16, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • their will be a season 1 episode 9 in Augest 21st so excited to be in it

Comment by cassie scerbo – July 19, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what ever happened to season 3 episode 9? I miss this show!!!

Comment by Rachel Smith – September 19, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i want the showw back again i was soo into ittt ); i want a season 3 episode 9

Comment by Wendy N Jose – October 31, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • make it or break it should never have been cancled we NEVER found out who won the olympics!

Comment by katie – January 1, 2014 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post