Emmys

Jimmy Kimmel to Host 2012 Emmy Awards

Late-night funnyman Jimmy Kimmel will host the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards, to be held Sept. 23 and broadcast on ABC, it was announced on Monday.

“I hope to be able to do for the Emmys this year what Eddie Murphy did for the Oscars,” Kimmel said in a statement, alluding to Murphy’s very brief tenure as host of this year’s Academy Awards.

Emmys: Jon Cryer Moves Up to Lead Actor Race

Though Kimmel has lorded over such fetes as the American Music Awards and the ESPY Awards, this marks his first time tackling TV’s biggest night. The Emmys’ most recent hosts include Jane Lynch, Jimmy Fallon, Neil Patrick Harris, a quintet of reality-TV hosts and Ryan Seacrest.

Emmys Buzz: Downton Abbey Switches to Drama Series Race

In addition to his ABC late-nighter, Kimmel is also known within TV circles as a show-stopping annual guest at ABC’s upfront presentation to the ad community, where he takes delicious digs at rival networks (while also poking fun at ABC’s admitted shortcomings).

Emmys Buzz: American Horror Story to Enter Race for Best Miniseries, Not Drama

What do you think of Kimmel as Emmys host? Good call?

1. Trina says:

Wrong Jimmy – should have been Fallon!

2. AJ says:

Wrong late night talk show host. They should’ve gone with Craig Feguson, he the funniest of all of them.

• jennybug2718 says:

Yeah, seriously. Craig is the best!

• Polly says:

Agreed 100%

• Marcia Lewandowski says:

The networks are afraid of Craig, he’s TOO funny!!!

• Angela says:

Haha, oh, god, I couldn’t even imagine what the Emmys would be like with him as a host. It’d be really entertaining to see, I agree. Definitely my favorite of all the late night hosts, too.

I just sincerely hope “Community” gets some serious recognition at the Emmys this year. I can’t wait to see the full nominees list when that comes out.

3. peter says:

fallon did in 2010 i guess
    so i think is a good choice let’s see

4. kirads09 says:

If John Noble is not nominated, I may be there in person – protesting.

• Mickey says:

Agree! If John Noble doesn’t get a nomination, I’ll come and protest with you. He is THE BEST actor on television. SHAME ON THE ACADEMY (emmy’s) for not recognizing his amazing talent already. There also should definitely be some kind of an advertising campaign to get more people to watch Fringe. It’s such a brilliant show and it shouldn’t be “boxed” into just the sci-fi genre. I think that was a crucial mistake on Fox’s behind to market Fringe as strictly a genre show. Because it is not. Fringe has just about every genre that I can think of but the guts of the show is drama. Sci-fi fans are a minority and if a network chooses to market a show for a minority, it is going to come back and bite them on the ass. That’s exactly what happened with Fringe. When it started back in 2008, it was marketed as a sci-fi procedural a la X-files. First mistake. So, all of the X-files and sci-fi fans gave it a go and the ratings were good until the show actually started being true to it’s story, which certainly was not a sci-fi procederal X-files replacement. So once all the X-files and hard core sci-fi fans realized that it was more of a serialized drama that dealt with mysterious (but not fantasy or aliens) FBI cases that all three of the main characters were also personally linked to and that one really needed to tune in regularly, Fringe lost the majority of it’s viewers. Then Fox made mistake number two: They started shifting the show around and changing it’s schedule, having too many breaks in-between episodes so then Fringe lost even more of it’s audience because people couldn’t keep track of what night it’s airing and how long the breaks are. Most people probably just thought they’re better of waiting for the DVD to come out. I don’t blame them. There’s nothing worse then getting really invested into a television show only to have the network shred it to the point of where the viewer’s just too pissed off to bother. However, even that didn’t prevent Fox from making it’s biggest mistake with Fringe: moving it to the Friday night death slot and continuing to market it as a sci-fi show. BIG MISTAKE! Ever since Fringe has been doing terribly in the ratings and it has been “on the bubble” since early season 3. This is a crime to the loyal, devoted fans of the show, who have stuck by it no matter how much Fox butchered it’s run. Last Friday night Fringe was back after yet another 4 week break (the third break this season) to air the 15th episode of it’s 4th and, after reaching only 2.9 million viewers with only a 0.9 rating-a series low, most likely final season. If there is any way that Fox could ever do right by this amazing show, that is for every kind of viewer and not just sci-fi fans, it would be to guarantee it a 5th and final season regardless of the ratings. Because it is not the show that killed it’s ratings, it is Fox.
      Shame on you Fox! That is why they are now choosing to advertise it’s new series and new hope for big ratings Touch as a “drama”, when in fact it is more sci-fi then Fringe will ever be.
      Could this mean that they finally learned a little? We won’t know until we see how they deal with Touch. The way that Fox should’ve supported and promoted Fringe is the same way that ABC promoted LOST, another mystery drama that could’ve have been advertised as sci-fi but ABC were smart enough to know better and LOST was a massive success. As far as I am concerned, Fringe deserves twice the success LOST had. I am a huge LOST fan, but Fringe is simply a television masterpiece that SHOULD NOT BE MISSED! So, do yourself a favor and go get Season 1,2 and 3 on DVD. I guarantee anyone, no matter what your taste in tv shows, you WILL LOVE FRINGE.

5. Ev says:

Shock horror, talk show host from ABC to host an award show shown on ABC.

6. TV Gord says:

He will do a great job! His show is consistently funny, and after his post-Oscars show this year, I’ve been saying he should be hosting THAT one. I’ll take the Emmys, though! I can’t wait!

7. Darth Pablo says:

Was January Jones not available?

• Bleer says:

Haha, she’s great, but she is litteraly terrified of live shows, it might actualy be hysterical if she hosted, disasterouse, but funny.

8. bad kevin says:

Don’t know how Kimmel would fare this year if he’s going to be even better than Sue Sylvester, Fallon nor NPH.

9. Ezzy Klein says:

It’s interesting how when it’s on FOX they get one of their own and since this year it’s on ABC they hired their own to.. Hmm… I thought it was the Academy that did the hiring? Though I do like Kimmel

10. RKar says:

Its airing on ABC they wrote the book on cross promotion and shameless plugs, they would never use someone from another network. I do think Jimmy Kimmel will be hilarious.

• TV Gord says:

Are you saying ABC is alone in cross-promoting and shameless plugs? Everybody does it.

• RKar says:

No I didn’t say they are alone I said they wrote the book on it. They protect their assets like no one else. For example, the local ABC station’s weather forecast is forever showing a Disneyland shot, we don’t see NBC constantly showing the Universal Studio tour.

11. cjeffery7 says:

Jimmy Kimmel is underrated in my opinion. I think he’ll do great.

12. Drewer says:

Finaly he totaly stole the show the year all the reality hosts hosted, he gave out the award for best reality host and it was the funniest part of the show.

13. Bill says:

Kimmel wi9ll be great, although the show better have a 10 second censor delay instead of 7.

14. Bill says:

Kimmel will be great although the network better have a 10 sec. rather than 7 sec. censor delay.

15. Crystal says:

Love Kimmel so this is no dis on him, but I so want Joel McHale to host the Emmys.

16. mila says:

I think it might be really good show. But you know who would be great host for the emmys ?
    AMY POHLER or KRISTEN WIGG. They are really amazing and that show woud’ve rocked!!

17. Yay for Kimmel! Will definately watch! :D

18. Lilith says:

Love Jimmy! But I hope next year they choose Craig!