Emmys

Emmys Buzz: American Horror Story to Enter Race for Best Miniseries, Not Drama

Get More: Awards, Emmys, News

FX announced Friday that it will be submitting its freshman hit American Horror Story in the miniseries category at this year’s Primetime Emmy Awards, rather than, as expected, the drama lineup.

The shakeup is being attributed to AHS‘ anthology format (meaning each season features new cast and stories), which has given it “dual status qualification” for Emmy consideration.

Emmys Buzz: Jon Cryer Moves Up to Lead Actor Race

The shift means a perceived increase in the likelihood of the thriller bringing home a trophy, as the competition in the drama category this year is expected to be fiercer than ever, with nods, presumably, going to Mad Men, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire and Downton Abbey.

Emmys Buzz: Downton Abbey Switches to Drama Series Race

American Horror Story previously competed for Best Drama Series at the 2012 Golden Globe Awards, but was trumped by the aforementioned Homeland.

Comments (25)

• Pullin’ a reverse Downton Abbey.

At least it has a shot in hell of getting nominated now. Not saying that I like it, just stating a fact.

Comment by Sam – March 23, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool thanks, call me when you have some Fringe-related Emmy news. :)

Comment by BonesFringeFan – March 23, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS

Comment by dessy111 – March 23, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fringe & an Emmy?

Try the 4th of Never!

HA HA HA!

Comment by dee123 – March 24, 2012 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks for your insightful contribution. Have a great day.

Comment by BonesFringeFan – March 24, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Meh. You’re just cranky cause’ it’s true.

Comment by dee123 – March 25, 2012 12:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • any award that is given to Glee for best comedy is absolutely meaningless to me…

Comment by Ana – March 24, 2012 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since when does a “miniseries” keep the same name from year to year. not to mention many of the same actors? Cheap dodge because they know they have no hope of any awards otherwise except in the acting categories.

Comment by Temis – March 23, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Downton Abbey was in the Miniseries category last year even though it was commissioned for a three season run. Downton is a continuing story whereas AHS will be a new story each season.

Comment by WayneInNYC – March 23, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • downton abbey was originally just a miniseries, likely with a 3 year deal “just in case”, but originally a miniseries. and its probs not gonna win for drama series anyway.

Comment by cjeffery7 – March 23, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • actually no. Downton Abbey is a British televison series. A season of British tv show is about 6 to 10 episodes. By US standards this might seem short, but it’s the norm in the UK. So Downton Abbey has always been seen as a regular series (with expected additional seasons).

Comment by jb – March 24, 2012 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The actors are playing completely different parts, dude.

Comment by Loki – March 23, 2012 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a risky prospect since the show was submitted as a Drama Series in award shows prior to the Emmys. They should have waited until next season to request a change to their status consideration.

Comment by WayneInNYC – March 23, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just don’t get it…I mean I guess Downtown Abbey is okay…It’s like 8 episodes…Though I still don’t agree. But American Horror story is a 13 episode series…That’s a full season! This just feels like cheating. Like they are trying to get into an easier category. I really, really hope they don’t get nominated for anything(save for Jessica Lange) but heck knows this show doesn’t deserve it.

Comment by Josh – March 23, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • instead of being a negative nancy and assuming their fishing for awards, i’m guessing now that they’ve decided how they’re going to move from season to season, they’ve decided they apply better as a miniseries… otherwise i dont really feel like arguing the point. i dont understand these awards politics.

Comment by cjeffery7 – March 23, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is everyone so mad about this? I don’t get it. I love this show and I want it to at least get a nomination. Obviously the Drama category would have fierce competition so I practically knew it wouldn’t be nominated until I saw this. I mean, it seriously isn’t like they are cheating because it is apparently an Emmy rule that it’s allowed to be nominated this way. If it wasn’t a rule, THEN it would be cheating.

Comment by Ryan Lively (@ryanlively) – March 23, 2012 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The whole re-cast for season two is ridiculous. Not bringing back Connie, Taissa, etc. Why bother watching. The sucking up to both Jessica and Evan is getting a little old. They’re others who excelled in S1 too.

Comment by orlalouise – March 24, 2012 01:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This basically means that Jessica Lange and Maggie Smith won’t have to compete against each other and will now both probably win.

Comment by Yibbet – March 24, 2012 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ha! reverse downtown abbey. I LOVE IT. and it’s not a giant leap either considering the anthology format. the only nomination it would’ve gotten otherwise is one for jessica lange + maybe a surprise nom here and there. but with this, it might be nominated for several unless the voters were too old to get it like they do other shows (coughsonsofanarchycough).

Comment by Bee – March 24, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I doubt American Horror story will win the miniseries category either.

Comment by Davey – March 24, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loe this show, I hope Dylan McDermott get nominated & wins – he was awesome in the show!

Comment by matt – March 24, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thirteen episodes do not a miniseries make.

Comment by jeff Kantor – March 24, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find this strange, but whatever. I’m not sure the series was good enough that it deserves any kind of wins, so I hope legitimate mini series come out this year and smoke them out of the water. For the Emmy drama race, I’m pretty sure it’s going to Homeland, though Breaking Bad is definitely a potential spoiler there. Though there is always Mad Men. The thing about MM is that they improve in story every single year they are on, so if season 5 ends up being better than season 4 was (which was incredible), then yeah, they definitely have a shot at getting the trophy a 5th year in a row. As much as I love MM, I will still root for Homeland though. Someone just bought me the DVD of Homeland Season one for me for my birthday, yay! I hope it gets released soon. Favorite show ever.

Comment by Human Being – March 25, 2012 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the Walking Dead? That show has been a consistently great drama that’s just getting better and better. The last season was amazing. I really liked AHS but it was also very confusing at times… I found myself going: “wait..r they dead or r they alive?” Several times. Maybe that’s what it was going for… I still enjoyed it but I hope next season has a little more structure and momentum.

Comment by Dan – March 25, 2012 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All this means is that Jessica Lange will now win her well-deserved Emmy for Lead Actress in a Miniseries, rather than Supporting/Lead Actress in a Drama Series. :)

Comment by ET – March 26, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post