NBC's Smash Is Renewed for Season 2 – Minus One Key Player

Get More: Controversy, News, Renewals

NBC has made its second scripted renewal for the 2012-13 TV season, and the honor goes to the Monday-night musical drama Smash. The twist? A key player from Season 1 is stepping away from the spotlight.

NBC Renews Grimm for Season 2

As reported by our sister site Deadline just hours after NBC picked up Smash for another run, Broadway vet Theresa Rebeck will not be returning as showrunner. Rebeck will retain her executive producer title, but step away from the day-to-day operations to return to her theater roots. There is no word yet on who might take over the reins for Season 2.

To date, Smash is averaging 7.7 million total viewers and a 2.6 demo rating, representing the network’s best tallies for a drama in both measures and improvements of 100 and 160 percent over the Peacock’s previous Mondays-at-10 average. That said, after opening its season with a real crowd-pleaser, the direction of the drama has come under fire by critics and viewers.

Smash First Look Video: Can Julia’s Husband Sing Her Troubles Away?

Smash‘s Season 2 order is for at least 15 episodes, says a network source. As previously reported, the 15-episode freshman run will “take Marilyn to an out-of-town tryout, her first really public presentation,” per series creator and Broadway vet Theresa Rebeck. Season 2 will ultimately follow the production to Broadway and raise the question, “How does Marilyn fare in New York?”

CBS Renews 18 Total Shows, Fate of Two CSIs Left Up In the Air

Are you glad about Smash‘s renewal? And what changes would you suggest for Season 2?

Comments (168)

• first and YAYYYY!!!!!!!

Comment by ally – March 22, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought they’re doing a new ‘show’ in the next season? I don’t know. I love Smash but I just don’t think two seasons of Marilyn will guarantee my full interest in it.

Comment by Leo – March 22, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be honest I’m glad they arn’t running from marilyn. if they did that would mean a whole new cast as well as production personeel. i would run away from the heart of the show which is how hard it is to get a show to broadway and how heart breaking it can be to fail. so much time and effort gone… Maybe in season 3 they should try re vamping it from head to toe, something that keeps the karen ivy dynamic as well as the Derek and tom friendship. but does new style of music and such.
        i think they should add a tiny pinch of humour and get ivy and karen to do there own randition of a song or something. and then compeate

Comment by Holly – April 30, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • **i wouldn’t run away

Comment by Holly – April 30, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You obviously lack experience in the theater. So many changes can and usually do occur before a show makes it to Broadway.. And the writers were smart enough to intertwine personal relationships into the professional ones,, leaving us with an exponential number of cliffhangers. Let the stories develop and enjoy every course of this five star delight. Or change the channel and watch another reality show whose life-time is as short as your attention span.

Comment by Lu Ann – May 29, 2012 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LuAnn!, who the hell are you?!?! Who Pissed on your Bran flakes I would guess, if EXPERIENCED Theatre people are all first class bitches like you, then why bother?!?! Calm the f*#k down, you bougie, wish you knew things, c*#t!!!!!!

Comment by jk – August 29, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You are so right Lu Ann, about the ongoing changes in a play or musical. That’s true whether it is on Broadway, Off Broadway, regional, or local theater Changes occur throughout the run of a show — cast changes, script changes, songs, dances, sets, props, etc. One of the best things ab out Smash is that it shows how this works. .

Comment by Sable – August 29, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Why the snotty remarks? She wasn’t slamming the show. Has life been such a harsh disappointment for you that you need to dump your vitriol on people? Very sad.

Comment by Evan – January 9, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show is great and glad that Marilyn is going to Broadway. Someone told me the other day that the show was not renewed and I was very sad. Glad they were WRONG!!! I don’t know why the critics are such whiners!

Comment by Maddog – May 7, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love the opportunity to see and hear Katherine McPhee sing like a songbird. I enjoyed most of the episodes but really think Anjelica Houston should depart. She is the most inauthentic character on the show. I relish the moments when she is not on camera.

Comment by jepagey – May 21, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t mind Anjelica Houston in her current role however I would keep her as far away from a piano bar and microphone as much as possible. She grew on me as the show grew but I just have a hard time seeing her in the romantic role her character is taking

Comment by shaft44 – October 21, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Gee, JEPagey, Anjelica always speaks well of you!

Comment by Evan – January 9, 2013 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by beachbumonstx – May 15, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never wanted to it to end why do I want it different than how they left off. This will go down as my all time favorite show

Comment by Julie Bates – August 28, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, you made a mistake, it made it’s second renewal (they already renewed Grimm)

Comment by Yasin – March 22, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, this was amended almost instantly.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 22, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes you did! Sorry :) Keep up the great work :)

Comment by Yasin – March 22, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt, do we have any clue when ABC will announce its renewals? I really want “Castle” to get renewed.

Comment by Maddie – March 22, 2012 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think you’ve got much to worry about there.

Comment by Annie – March 23, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Mike, when can we expect word on Awake and Parenthood? I was happily surprised to hear about Smash but can’t help but wonder about my other favorites.

Comment by Linderella – March 23, 2012 07:58 AM PDT
  • Not a surprise, even thou its retention from The Voice isn’t good at all

Comment by Matt – March 22, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!

Comment by scoboot – March 22, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT NEWS! :D that’s awesome

Comment by Line – March 22, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m totally psyched. Although I hope by the showrunner stepping away it doesn’t hurt the format or the videography too badly.

Comment by Danielle H – March 23, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSSSS trop contente <3

Comment by Angel – March 22, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha, la série (et TVline) a apparemment des fans français ! :D

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hahaha! Contente de voir que je ne suis pas la seule! :D (Je ne suis pas une fan de la série vraiment, mais je ne pouvais pas passer à côté de la chance de répondre en français! :D)

Comment by Julie (@CDNspnFAN) – March 23, 2012 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Suis Francaise aussi et accro a Smash!

Comment by Lisa London – March 23, 2012 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For 13 or 22?

Comment by Sam – March 22, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At least 15, I am hearing.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – March 22, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Comment by Ashton – March 22, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOHOOOO SO HAPPYY :D

Comment by JJ – March 22, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not surprising..NBC pretty much had to give this show another season it was suppose to be their savor but it just another good show on NBC that cant get viewers

Such a Shame NBC got great shows it just no one watches them

Comment by ggny – March 22, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i really want to like smash and i love katherine mcphee’s voice but not really a fan of this one..the songs just isnt for me, most of them are sang the same way as the original singers did while the others are too theatre songs for me (yeah i know its a tv series musical)..

Comment by toni – April 27, 2012 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! YES! YES! More McPhee-ver. Hope SMASH stays on Mondays at 10 p.m. next Fall after The Voice.

Comment by kevin – March 22, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, I was worried it wouldn’t get a 2nd season!

Comment by Sarah – March 22, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show, but i am still not really sucked in. But this is great news!

Comment by Wouter – March 22, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! So happy! :D
    But isn’t season 1 running for 15 episodes?

Comment by Goku – March 22, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought season one had 15 episodes. Typo? Was it season two that got a 13 episode order?

Comment by Rolfe – March 22, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any news about possible changes in time slot?

Comment by Sherry – March 22, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Far, far, far too early for that. That info comes out in mid-May.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – March 22, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really hope they do move it, being up against Castle and H50 is not good for my household.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 22, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually like that NBC gave Smash 15 episodes in season one and the same for season two (although I’m guessing that can be extended based on ratings.) I feel like 22 episodes for some series is too much. I’d rather have 15 action packed episodes that 22 watered-down ones.

Comment by Rolfe – March 22, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this

Comment by jenna – March 22, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not like the days when a show had 34 – 36 episodes per season! (The Phil Silvers Show)
      I don’t like the short seasons. It’s like Britain. 6 episodes per season and then wait a full year to get another 6. Having only 6 episodes, or 10 episodes, is no guarantee of quality! I think it’s more of a tribute to how much the writers, and actors, and EVERYONE ELSE, get paid compared to how much the show brings in. But, I just can’t agree that more episodes equal less quality. It might be more likely, indeed, because of pressure to fill 22 (only 22!!!) slots, but not all episodes are equal anyway. Yes, there is a more likely chance that if you only have 6 episodes, you can write a lot of episodes and choose the best from that lot.
      I’d like to see networks taking more chances with writers and creators, directors. Less of the same old stuff, and a lot more risk taking.
      And if reality tv died, I’d dance on its grave.

Comment by rubytu – March 22, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “And if reality tv died, I’d dance on its grave”

You and me both, sister. You and me both.

Comment by penaltyshot – March 22, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So would I, and I’d try to make a national holiday as a tribute to the arts.

Comment by Sable – April 16, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not a fan of how the networks are airing one new episode, then three weeks of reruns, another new episode, three more weeks of reruns. I’d rather have ten consecutive weeks of new episodes and then wait several months for a new season, like USA does (which, in my opinion, has some of the best shows on television because of their programming schedule). It makes for a tighter, better show because then there aren’t any filler episodes, character development and evolution are stronger, and the plot and writing are just better because no one’s exhausted themselves out by Episode 8 of a 22-episode order.
        I’d be happy about alphabet network reality shows dying–those are just way overdone. The (non-MTV) cable shows are much better and entertaining.

Comment by Meg – March 23, 2012 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Totally agree. Also, the Phil Silvers Show (geez, I’m showing my age here) was 30 minutes long, without fully staged show tunes – not a one-hour drama. I happen to like the British mini-series (ie., Downton Abbey, Case Histories, Sherlock) and shows like Falling Skies and The Killing. None of them have failed to keep me excited about the forthcoming new seasons.

Comment by Linderella – March 23, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I totally agree that Downton Abbey and Sherlock are wonderful shows. That doesn’t mean I don’t want shows with more episodes, they don’t have to be Oscar nomination quality – just fun, amusing, dramatic, good characters. There are plenty of shows that are good with full seasons!
            A side-note — the BBC airing of the Eastenders Christmas episode beat Downton Abbey in the ratings!
            (4 shows a week every week all year long – and it’s a great show!)

Comment by rubytu – March 27, 2012 05:39 PM PDT
          • Thanks for the heads up about Eastenders!

Comment by Linderella – March 28, 2012 12:02 PM PDT
          • 904 Louvre Come Back To Me

Comment by PPOZZO – March 28, 2012 02:38 PM PDT
        • Nope. Short seasons stink.

Comment by Kelly – March 23, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I love the USA shows too. Sad that Monk is gone, and the “characters welcome” motto seems to be gone with him.

Comment by rubytu – March 23, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Time to do the “20th Century Fox Mambo” to celebrate!

Comment by S – March 22, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope the same luck for a for Harry’s Law and Parks and Rec. Only NBC shows I watch regularly.

Comment by jasie – March 22, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto for Harry’s Law and Parks & Rec – though I watch Community <3
      30 Rock, and Awake. Hope they are very playful with Awake, like Christopher Nolan was with Inception. There’s a lot you can do with ideas like this.

Comment by rubytu – March 22, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I forgot, I also watch Parenthood.

Comment by jasie – March 22, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While it’s hardly the best show and has a lot of kinks to work out, it’s unique and different and sort of unafraid. I’m glad it will still be on TV and I’ll keep watching(hoping for improvement) But more Megan Hilty singing is the best news ever.

Comment by Josh – March 22, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy! I love this show.

Comment by Joe – March 22, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • also i expect alot of retooling in the works for this show…Plus atleast a few cast members cut + new series regulars hired

Comment by ggny – March 22, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hopefully that Michael Swift character can be cut ugh I hate that guy

Comment by Matthew – March 22, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news! Now let’s have Parenthood and Awake renewed for another season!

Comment by Linderella – March 22, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, have you read Variety’s reporting on the renewal? Their rating numbers for Smash are different from yours. This is why I’ll never understand this whole ratings system. Too confusing.

Oh, btw, I’m glad to see that NBC is giving the series another season (what a surprise).

Comment by Tania – March 22, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! This is my favorite new show and the show I most look forward to watching every week now. This week’s episode was stellar and got me totally hooked. So happy to hear this news. I can honestly say I enjoy all the characters except boring Dev and I think even Evil Ellis serves a purpose. I’m glad the adoption subplot looks like it’s gone away for now as that was the one drag on the show well along with the actor playing Leo. Looking forward to Karen hopefully getting her shot at being Marilyn next season!

Comment by Mel – March 22, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They could seriously just replace Leo with pretty much anyone else and I don’t think a single person would complain. Maybe his mom. But that’s it. He is one of the worst actors I’ve ever seen.

Comment by Lime – March 22, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can deal with the others you mention, but getting rid of Ellis is my #1 request. The character is cringe worthy and the actor is not good enough to make an evil character compelling to watch. Leo isn’t interesting, but he doesn’t make me grab for my remote to avoid his scenes.

Comment by Sable – April 16, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that’s cool, I’m really liking it

Comment by juan – March 22, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I suggest that they shoot the ‘out of town’ tryout scenes on location at an actual theater in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex area. So excited about this show!

Comment by Reecea Henderson – March 22, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shooting in DFW would probably lower some of the cost and provide a nice backdrop that’s as “real” as the New York location has been, but I have to wonder how many of the people would be willing to relocate.

I’m not sure how theater works… how far do they normally go when they do out of town tryouts?

Comment by Drew – March 22, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Out of town tryouts can happen pretty much anywhere. Popular locations are New Jersey, Chicago, California, Boston, etc.

Comment by Rob – March 23, 2012 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! Now I can finally relax.
    I am so excited! I LOVE this show. It´s getting better and better.

Plus now I have hope that Karen and Derek might get together come season 2! LOVE their chemistry.
    Hope it starts during the fall again though not mid season.

Comment by Titina – March 22, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By the hammer of Thor, NBC, tell us about our Thursday night shows!

Comment by Chelsea Anne – March 22, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! This is great news! The show deserves to be renewed. I hope in season 2 they will focus more on Karen and let us see her grow as a broadway actress. She’s fantastic.

Comment by sam – March 22, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Now get rid of Dev and either kill off or recast Leo.

Comment by Elizabeth – March 22, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great minds named Elizabeth think alike. :)

Comment by Liz – March 22, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with u about nasal Leo, the worst actor ever. I cannot believe they could not find a better actor than him to play thi fairly important charactor.

Comment by Donna – March 22, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How is Leo important?

Comment by Meg – March 23, 2012 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My husband and I think that the writers should have made Leo a GIRL. Teenage girls are notoriously emotional. Those awkward scenes with Leo wanting his sister from China and crying in the kitchen would have made sense with a daughter.

Comment by Azure – March 23, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news for the show. I hope that Thorsten Kaye – Nick the bartender – comes back. He is HOT!!!

Now when I hear that Parenthood is renewed, I can rest eay.,

Comment by KathyNYC – March 22, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That should say …rest easy!!

Comment by KathyNYC – March 22, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good, no Great news! This show is fabulous and refreshing! I hope they expand the character played by Thorsten Kaye!

Comment by nancy – March 22, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Megan!! (Christian Borle and Jack Davenport too!) Hopefully we’ll see less of Karen Sue next season…

Comment by Jen – March 22, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more :) Love the Tom-Ivy friendship!

Comment by Carla – March 22, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank you!!!! love Jack Davenport!!!!

Comment by suzanne – March 22, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That makes me very happy!!…I LOVE this show!!!

Comment by Renee – March 22, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to hear this news!! As long as Thorsten Kaye remains with the show . . . so will I.

Comment by June – March 22, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash is the only show I watch on TV. Other than baseball.

Comment by martaliddiard – March 22, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOOT

Comment by Cavaknights (@Cavaknights) – March 22, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show with all of my heart! It’s the only thing I look forward to on a Monday.

Comment by Marie – March 22, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grimm and Smash renewed!!! Good decision! love them both (I like Eddie Monroe, the wolf man)

Comment by rubytu – March 22, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aaaaaaah, I am SO so so excited about this! Thanks, NBC- you just made my day :D

Comment by Carla – March 22, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Love this show! I’m glad that some of the characters looks like they won’t last long. And glad they are firing Michael. Can’t wait to see more of Karen, but also glad that we are seeing the vulnerable side to Ivy.

Comment by Rhonda D Snyder – March 22, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news. I was a little worried for awhile. I hope the amazing Kat McPhee gets a chance to show “what she brings to the party”. Give her a chance, you won’t be disappointed. again, Horray for NBC & SMASH!!!!

Comment by Dave Cohn – March 22, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe season 2 will still be about Marilyn. They should close the show out of town and work on another show in season 2.

Comment by davey – March 22, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy its being renewed it is a great show and so deserves a 2nd season!

Comment by Donna – March 22, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched every episode, and despite a few flaws, have really enjoyed. But without knowing about a second season, I haven’t allowed myself to really get into it….until now!

Comment by Cody – March 22, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES, I’m happy Smash will return. Changes: I want Karen to take the lead as Marilyn – I prefer her voice over Ivy’s! I hope Julia and her husband and Karen and her boyfriend won’t break up, I’d love to see that sneaky assitant gone. That’s about it, hehe!

Comment by Caro – March 22, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Karen can go play Ava Gardner or someone, she’s just not Marilyn. She really does have a great voice, but she’s no Marilyn.

Comment by rubytu – March 22, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i concur in every way!! karen just isn’t marilyn … she’s a pop singer! ivy looks like her, sounds like her and has marilyn’s speech pattern down pat! i love both ivy’s and karen’s characters, but in the real world, ivy would be cast as marilyn — hands down.

Comment by Kate – May 17, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy to see the show returning. Looking forward to what will happen to “Marilyn: The Musical.”

Comment by Ashly – March 22, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really happy about it and hope it stays on after the Voice!!!!!!

Comment by Lori Spray – March 22, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post