NBC's Smash Is Renewed for Season 2 - Minus One Key Player

NBC has made its second scripted renewal for the 2012-13 TV season, and the honor goes to the Monday-night musical drama Smash. The twist? A key player from Season 1 is stepping away from the spotlight.

NBC Renews Grimm for Season 2

As reported by our sister site Deadline just hours after NBC picked up Smash for another run, Broadway vet Theresa Rebeck will not be returning as showrunner. Rebeck will retain her executive producer title, but step away from the day-to-day operations to return to her theater roots. There is no word yet on who might take over the reins for Season 2.

To date, Smash is averaging 7.7 million total viewers and a 2.6 demo rating, representing the network’s best tallies for a drama in both measures and improvements of 100 and 160 percent over the Peacock’s previous Mondays-at-10 average. That said, after opening its season with a real crowd-pleaser, the direction of the drama has come under fire by critics and viewers.

Smash First Look Video: Can Julia’s Husband Sing Her Troubles Away?

Smash‘s Season 2 order is for at least 15 episodes, says a network source. As previously reported, the 15-episode freshman run will “take Marilyn to an out-of-town tryout, her first really public presentation,” per series creator and Broadway vet Theresa Rebeck. Season 2 will ultimately follow the production to Broadway and raise the question, “How does Marilyn fare in New York?”

CBS Renews 18 Total Shows, Fate of Two CSIs Left Up In the Air

Are you glad about Smash‘s renewal? And what changes would you suggest for Season 2?

1. ally says:

first and YAYYYY!!!!!!!

• Leo says:

I thought they’re doing a new ‘show’ in the next season? I don’t know. I love Smash but I just don’t think two seasons of Marilyn will guarantee my full interest in it.

• Holly says:

To be honest I’m glad they arn’t running from marilyn. if they did that would mean a whole new cast as well as production personeel. i would run away from the heart of the show which is how hard it is to get a show to broadway and how heart breaking it can be to fail. so much time and effort gone… Maybe in season 3 they should try re vamping it from head to toe, something that keeps the karen ivy dynamic as well as the Derek and tom friendship. but does new style of music and such.
        i think they should add a tiny pinch of humour and get ivy and karen to do there own randition of a song or something. and then compeate

• Lu Ann says:

You obviously lack experience in the theater. So many changes can and usually do occur before a show makes it to Broadway.. And the writers were smart enough to intertwine personal relationships into the professional ones,, leaving us with an exponential number of cliffhangers. Let the stories develop and enjoy every course of this five star delight. Or change the channel and watch another reality show whose life-time is as short as your attention span.

• jk says:

LuAnn!, who the hell are you?!?! Who Pissed on your Bran flakes I would guess, if EXPERIENCED Theatre people are all first class bitches like you, then why bother?!?! Calm the f*#k down, you bougie, wish you knew things, c*#t!!!!!!

• Sable says:

You are so right Lu Ann, about the ongoing changes in a play or musical. That’s true whether it is on Broadway, Off Broadway, regional, or local theater Changes occur throughout the run of a show — cast changes, script changes, songs, dances, sets, props, etc. One of the best things ab out Smash is that it shows how this works. .

• Evan says:

Why the snotty remarks? She wasn’t slamming the show. Has life been such a harsh disappointment for you that you need to dump your vitriol on people? Very sad.

• Maddog says:

The show is great and glad that Marilyn is going to Broadway. Someone told me the other day that the show was not renewed and I was very sad. Glad they were WRONG!!! I don’t know why the critics are such whiners!

• jepagey says:

I love the opportunity to see and hear Katherine McPhee sing like a songbird. I enjoyed most of the episodes but really think Anjelica Houston should depart. She is the most inauthentic character on the show. I relish the moments when she is not on camera.

• shaft44 says:

I don’t mind Anjelica Houston in her current role however I would keep her as far away from a piano bar and microphone as much as possible. She grew on me as the show grew but I just have a hard time seeing her in the romantic role her character is taking

• Evan says:

Gee, JEPagey, Anjelica always speaks well of you!

• YES YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Julie Bates says:

I never wanted to it to end why do I want it different than how they left off. This will go down as my all time favorite show

2. Yasin says:

Matt, you made a mistake, it made it’s second renewal (they already renewed Grimm)

3. Matt says:

Not a surprise, even thou its retention from The Voice isn’t good at all

4. scoboot says:

YAY!!!!

5. Line says:

GREAT NEWS! :D that’s awesome

• Danielle H says:

I’m totally psyched. Although I hope by the showrunner stepping away it doesn’t hurt the format or the videography too badly.

6. Angel says:

YESSSSSSSSS trop contente <3

7. Sam says:

For 13 or 22?

8. Ashton says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

9. JJ says:

WOHOOOO SO HAPPYY :D

10. ggny says:

not surprising..NBC pretty much had to give this show another season it was suppose to be their savor but it just another good show on NBC that cant get viewers

Such a Shame NBC got great shows it just no one watches them

• toni says:

i really want to like smash and i love katherine mcphee’s voice but not really a fan of this one..the songs just isnt for me, most of them are sang the same way as the original singers did while the others are too theatre songs for me (yeah i know its a tv series musical)..

11. kevin says:

YES! YES! YES! More McPhee-ver. Hope SMASH stays on Mondays at 10 p.m. next Fall after The Voice.

12. Sarah says:

Yay, I was worried it wouldn’t get a 2nd season!

13. Wouter says:

Love the show, but i am still not really sucked in. But this is great news!

14. Goku says:

Yay! So happy! :D
    But isn’t season 1 running for 15 episodes?

15. Rolfe says:

I thought season one had 15 episodes. Typo? Was it season two that got a 13 episode order?

16. Sherry says:

Any news about possible changes in time slot?

17. Rolfe says:

I actually like that NBC gave Smash 15 episodes in season one and the same for season two (although I’m guessing that can be extended based on ratings.) I feel like 22 episodes for some series is too much. I’d rather have 15 action packed episodes that 22 watered-down ones.

• rubytu says:

Not like the days when a show had 34 – 36 episodes per season! (The Phil Silvers Show)
      I don’t like the short seasons. It’s like Britain. 6 episodes per season and then wait a full year to get another 6. Having only 6 episodes, or 10 episodes, is no guarantee of quality! I think it’s more of a tribute to how much the writers, and actors, and EVERYONE ELSE, get paid compared to how much the show brings in. But, I just can’t agree that more episodes equal less quality. It might be more likely, indeed, because of pressure to fill 22 (only 22!!!) slots, but not all episodes are equal anyway. Yes, there is a more likely chance that if you only have 6 episodes, you can write a lot of episodes and choose the best from that lot.
      I’d like to see networks taking more chances with writers and creators, directors. Less of the same old stuff, and a lot more risk taking.
      And if reality tv died, I’d dance on its grave.

• penaltyshot says:

“And if reality tv died, I’d dance on its grave”

You and me both, sister. You and me both.

• Meg says:

I’m not a fan of how the networks are airing one new episode, then three weeks of reruns, another new episode, three more weeks of reruns. I’d rather have ten consecutive weeks of new episodes and then wait several months for a new season, like USA does (which, in my opinion, has some of the best shows on television because of their programming schedule). It makes for a tighter, better show because then there aren’t any filler episodes, character development and evolution are stronger, and the plot and writing are just better because no one’s exhausted themselves out by Episode 8 of a 22-episode order.
        I’d be happy about alphabet network reality shows dying–those are just way overdone. The (non-MTV) cable shows are much better and entertaining.

• Linderella says:

Totally agree. Also, the Phil Silvers Show (geez, I’m showing my age here) was 30 minutes long, without fully staged show tunes – not a one-hour drama. I happen to like the British mini-series (ie., Downton Abbey, Case Histories, Sherlock) and shows like Falling Skies and The Killing. None of them have failed to keep me excited about the forthcoming new seasons.

• rubytu says:

I totally agree that Downton Abbey and Sherlock are wonderful shows. That doesn’t mean I don’t want shows with more episodes, they don’t have to be Oscar nomination quality – just fun, amusing, dramatic, good characters. There are plenty of shows that are good with full seasons!
            A side-note — the BBC airing of the Eastenders Christmas episode beat Downton Abbey in the ratings!
            (4 shows a week every week all year long – and it’s a great show!)

• Linderella says:

Thanks for the heads up about Eastenders!

• PPOZZO says:

904 Louvre Come Back To Me

• Kelly says:

Nope. Short seasons stink.

• rubytu says:

I love the USA shows too. Sad that Monk is gone, and the “characters welcome” motto seems to be gone with him.

18. S says:

Yay! Time to do the “20th Century Fox Mambo” to celebrate!

19. jasie says:

Hope the same luck for a for Harry’s Law and Parks and Rec. Only NBC shows I watch regularly.

• rubytu says:

Ditto for Harry’s Law and Parks & Rec – though I watch Community <3
      30 Rock, and Awake. Hope they are very playful with Awake, like Christopher Nolan was with Inception. There’s a lot you can do with ideas like this.

20. Josh says:

While it’s hardly the best show and has a lot of kinks to work out, it’s unique and different and sort of unafraid. I’m glad it will still be on TV and I’ll keep watching(hoping for improvement) But more Megan Hilty singing is the best news ever.

21. Joe says:

So happy! I love this show.

22. ggny says:

also i expect alot of retooling in the works for this show…Plus atleast a few cast members cut + new series regulars hired

23. Linderella says:

This is great news! Now let’s have Parenthood and Awake renewed for another season!

24. Tania says:

Matt, have you read Variety’s reporting on the renewal? Their rating numbers for Smash are different from yours. This is why I’ll never understand this whole ratings system. Too confusing.

Oh, btw, I’m glad to see that NBC is giving the series another season (what a surprise).

25. Mel says:

Yay!!! This is my favorite new show and the show I most look forward to watching every week now. This week’s episode was stellar and got me totally hooked. So happy to hear this news. I can honestly say I enjoy all the characters except boring Dev and I think even Evil Ellis serves a purpose. I’m glad the adoption subplot looks like it’s gone away for now as that was the one drag on the show well along with the actor playing Leo. Looking forward to Karen hopefully getting her shot at being Marilyn next season!

• Lime says:

They could seriously just replace Leo with pretty much anyone else and I don’t think a single person would complain. Maybe his mom. But that’s it. He is one of the worst actors I’ve ever seen.

• Sable says:

I can deal with the others you mention, but getting rid of Ellis is my #1 request. The character is cringe worthy and the actor is not good enough to make an evil character compelling to watch. Leo isn’t interesting, but he doesn’t make me grab for my remote to avoid his scenes.

26. juan says:

that’s cool, I’m really liking it

27. I suggest that they shoot the ‘out of town’ tryout scenes on location at an actual theater in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex area. So excited about this show!

• Drew says:

Shooting in DFW would probably lower some of the cost and provide a nice backdrop that’s as “real” as the New York location has been, but I have to wonder how many of the people would be willing to relocate.

I’m not sure how theater works… how far do they normally go when they do out of town tryouts?

• Rob says:

Out of town tryouts can happen pretty much anywhere. Popular locations are New Jersey, Chicago, California, Boston, etc.

28. Titina says:

YAY! Now I can finally relax.
    I am so excited! I LOVE this show. It´s getting better and better.

Plus now I have hope that Karen and Derek might get together come season 2! LOVE their chemistry.
    Hope it starts during the fall again though not mid season.

29. Chelsea Anne says:

By the hammer of Thor, NBC, tell us about our Thursday night shows!

30. sam says:

Yes! This is great news! The show deserves to be renewed. I hope in season 2 they will focus more on Karen and let us see her grow as a broadway actress. She’s fantastic.

31. Elizabeth says:

Yay! Now get rid of Dev and either kill off or recast Leo.

• Liz says:

Great minds named Elizabeth think alike. :)

• Donna says:

I agree with u about nasal Leo, the worst actor ever. I cannot believe they could not find a better actor than him to play thi fairly important charactor.

• Azure says:

My husband and I think that the writers should have made Leo a GIRL. Teenage girls are notoriously emotional. Those awkward scenes with Leo wanting his sister from China and crying in the kitchen would have made sense with a daughter.

32. KathyNYC says:

Good news for the show. I hope that Thorsten Kaye – Nick the bartender – comes back. He is HOT!!!

Now when I hear that Parenthood is renewed, I can rest eay.,

33. nancy says:

Good, no Great news! This show is fabulous and refreshing! I hope they expand the character played by Thorsten Kaye!

34. Jen says:

More Megan!! (Christian Borle and Jack Davenport too!) Hopefully we’ll see less of Karen Sue next season…

35. suzanne says:

thank you!!!! love Jack Davenport!!!!

36. Renee says:

That makes me very happy!!…I LOVE this show!!!

37. June says:

So happy to hear this news!! As long as Thorsten Kaye remains with the show . . . so will I.

38. martaliddiard says:

Smash is the only show I watch on TV. Other than baseball.

39. Marie says:

I love this show with all of my heart! It’s the only thing I look forward to on a Monday.

40. rubytu says:

Grimm and Smash renewed!!! Good decision! love them both (I like Eddie Monroe, the wolf man)

41. Carla says:

Aaaaaaah, I am SO so so excited about this! Thanks, NBC- you just made my day :D

42. Yay! Love this show! I’m glad that some of the characters looks like they won’t last long. And glad they are firing Michael. Can’t wait to see more of Karen, but also glad that we are seeing the vulnerable side to Ivy.

43. Dave Cohn says:

Awesome news. I was a little worried for awhile. I hope the amazing Kat McPhee gets a chance to show “what she brings to the party”. Give her a chance, you won’t be disappointed. again, Horray for NBC & SMASH!!!!

44. davey says:

I can’t believe season 2 will still be about Marilyn. They should close the show out of town and work on another show in season 2.

45. Donna says:

I am so happy its being renewed it is a great show and so deserves a 2nd season!

46. Cody says:

I’ve watched every episode, and despite a few flaws, have really enjoyed. But without knowing about a second season, I haven’t allowed myself to really get into it….until now!

47. Caro says:

YES, I’m happy Smash will return. Changes: I want Karen to take the lead as Marilyn – I prefer her voice over Ivy’s! I hope Julia and her husband and Karen and her boyfriend won’t break up, I’d love to see that sneaky assitant gone. That’s about it, hehe!

• rubytu says:

Karen can go play Ava Gardner or someone, she’s just not Marilyn. She really does have a great voice, but she’s no Marilyn.

• Kate says:

i concur in every way!! karen just isn’t marilyn … she’s a pop singer! ivy looks like her, sounds like her and has marilyn’s speech pattern down pat! i love both ivy’s and karen’s characters, but in the real world, ivy would be cast as marilyn — hands down.

48. Ashly says:

I’m happy to see the show returning. Looking forward to what will happen to “Marilyn: The Musical.”

49. Lori Spray says:

I’m really happy about it and hope it stays on after the Voice!!!!!!