American Idol Top 10 Results Recap: Nobody Wins From This Misery

erika van pelt brunetteShed no tears for the 10th-place finisher on Season 11 of American Idol. (Well, unless you feel sorry for said contestant having had to endure the up-close sight of Randy Jackson’s sequined creepyface/Golliwogg/Tubby Toast pin during Wednesday’s performance show.)

But in all seriousness, this season, it seems there’s a little less sting following in the footsteps of such Idol footnotes as Julia Demato, Jessica Sierra, Lisa Tucker, Chris Sligh, and Chikezie — at least when you consider how incredibly deep and evenly matched this season’s Top 10 truly is.

What’s more, the evicted singer got one helluva consoliation prize: A spectacular live performance by Season 10’s shiningest star Haley Reinhart, debuting her jazzy fantastic new single “Free.” That birdcage! That slinky red dress! Those slinky red vocals! Honestly, if “Free” isn’t a hit, there should be some kind of Congressional act shutting down every pop radio station from Hawaii to the northern tip of Maine. (“No Earworm Left Behind!”)

Hang on one second. I need a second. Just a second to compose myself, take a few deep breaths, and convince myself that I’m not actually apopletic about tonight’s deeply annoying results, which ended with the ouster of a mature, subtle vocalist who — with a little more confidence and a little less unnecessary foolery from the judges — coulda been a top 5 contendah. Ugh. Let’s talk about some of the non-results aspects of the telecast before we get to the elimination:

* Kudos to the Top 10 for not going the lipsynching route on “For the Longest Time” — perfect choice for the group number! — and actually sounding pretty good in the process.

* Randy should never, ever try to be funny. That’s what he was trying to do with his “Steven and I chose that outfit for her” comment about J.Lo’s “super pink” dress, right?

* Some interersting notes from Jimmy Iovine this week. He’s right that Skylar needs to get creative and show growth if she wants to win this thing. (Which is exactly why she shouldn’t have taken the one country hit written by Billy Joel this week.) And I had to agree with him, too, that Heejun’s performance was nothing more than a “stunt gone wrong” — and certainly not the kind of performance that’s going to inspire Interscope to spend its money on recording and promotion. I disagreed, though, with his notion that Phillip should only take a stand and be himself once he’s out in the real world. The Idol viewing audience is savvy enough to spot when a contestant is making making music and fashion choices that don’t feel authentic, and that’s when they stop picking up the phones and voting. Not to say that Phillip shouldn’t be willing to stretch himself as an artist — and as a potential star — but that doesn’t mean he should have to hang up his guitar or perform to a gaggle of swaybots just because that’s what Diddy would do.

Okay, on to the results…

Sent Immediately to Safety (in Order of Announcement)
Hollie Cavanagh
Skylar Laine
Elise Testone
Jessica Sanchez
Joshua Ledet
Colton Dixon (Seacreast faked-out, again!)
Phillip Phillips

Bottom Three
DeAndre Brackensick
Erika Van Pelt (loved how she grabbed some maracas from Elise: “I’m bringing the party with me!”)
Heejun Han

First One Sent Back to Safety
DeAndre Brackensick

Lowest Vote Getter
Erika Van Pelt

Last-Chance Performance
Erika inexplicably chose “I Believe in You and Me” (as opposed to “What About Love” or something with a rocky edge), delivering it with husky bombast, but hitting a couple of rough patches along the way (maybe due to tears?). It wasn’t enough to score a Judges’ Save from Randy, J.Lo, and Steven (those are only for guys, as you all know), and thus it’s another woman down, another woman down, another woman — who brought some emotional maturity and sexy-ass hair to the table — who bites the dust.

Now it’s your turn. Did the right person go home? Don’t you think with a few more weeks under her belt, Erika could’ve grown into a serious contender? (Heck, even Jimmy said she should be at the top of the pack this week!) How the heck did Heejun survive? And what did you think of sleepy/cool Lana del Ray?

p.s. Sorry, Erika, if Idology led you wrong with that whole “dye your hair black” business! We really thought it might work.

1. ana says:

I was afraid it was going to be erika. I was really hoping she didn’t go just yet.

• She was never going to win the whole thing. She was in Bottom 3 every week, and wasn’t initally chosen to be in Top 10. So the audience didn’t connect, but Heejun deserved to go home. He made a mockery of the whole thing, and didn’t sound good at all. There needs to be a limit to the voting, by phone and computer. Unlimited voting and big numbers might sound great to reveal, but it is ruining this show. The girls have to work twice as hard to stay in this competition and it’s just not fair.

• jake says:

I disagree — heejun DID NOT Make a mockery of the song — have you listened to the original? It’s a fast song. The one who should have gone home is deandre. Erika has been in the bottom 3 and she almost left last week and she was a wild card pick — so the judges were not gonna “waste” a save on her. It’s so sad because I honestly feel, perhaps because the judges keep saying it, that we never really got to see her be simply amazing — and that would be amazing because in my book she is one of the best singers on the show — certainly better than Elise and deandre. Oh well. I hope that she can find a career.

• Tarc says:

Eh, Heejun’s song was flat out awful. It was bad…. just bad, and he should have been the one to go.

• Rebecca says:

This is supposed to be a singing contest and not a popularity contest! It should not be girls versus guys: but talent against talent. The judges should provide more realistic critiques and stop trying to be so politically correct. Bring back Simon, at least he said what everybody else was really thinking! I for one have lost all faith in the show and will not be watching it anymore.

• Lee says:

If you need Simon to tell you how to vote, then you have no business watching AI because obviously you have no mind of your own. I agree with Jake. I didn’t think Heejun’s performance was the worst of the night. To tell you the truth, I thought it was better than what he has done the past 3 weeks! And this is coming from someone with a mind of his own. I thought DeAndre should’ve gone home. Either him or elevator music Hollie who has been pitchy the past two weeks.

• Shannon Migraine says:

Hee Jun is HILARIOUS! Super entertaining guy. He is being backed by Vote For The Worst.

• Leo says:

I’m too embarrassed by Heejun’s performance and I’m an Asian, okay? It’s just he made such a fool of himself. Oh well, Erika has been struggling with Bottom Three for weeks, it’s something that’s not too shocking. Better out when you have a good performance, right?

• wounds1 says:

I felt the same way. I was embarrassed for him. If I were his mother, I would have died a little bit inside watching him humiliate himself, Mocking others is the opposite of nice, It’s called mean!

• Betsy says:

I do not feel the same way. I thought it was good performance, very entertaining, and I don’t undertstand why people say he sang badly. He sang very well! He wasn’t trying to mock anything, he was really trying to put on a good performance.

• shelbybb says:

He was terrible and embarrassing and he knew it! He does not see himself as a winner! There are people out there that think Idol is a joke and love to back the loser (aka Sanjia). He’ll hang in there a few more weeks but it was a big mistake to keep him, he could have “opened” the tour much better than any of the others.

• MamaLis says:

Okay, if you’re an Asian and you’re embarrassed by Heejun’s performance, WHO the heck is voting for him?? I was about to rant that he obviously is getting the MASS Asian vote – and I’m sorry for speculating – but then I saw your post. Are you the anomaly or the norm? I mean, it truly was a pathetic moment when Heejun was sent to safety and Erika was announced ‘home.’ Which means someday “in-mass” is voting for him. Who is that ‘mass?’

• macy says:

To Wounds1 — who exactly was he mocking??? Gimme a break. He had a cute intro and then sang the song. Where is the mocking? Some people on this website are ridiculous.

• Matt says:

I don’t understand why so many people say heejun sang bad?I only watch idol this season because him,as season 8 I watch idol because adam,last two season I didn’t watch.it’s very simple when you watch tv found somebody interesting,then you keep follow it.if you don’t see something interesting,you switch channel.just ask yourself will you watch TV if adele sing celine dion song,will you so exciting to know adele can pull out celine dion notes or not?everytime I wonder how does this dude can pull out his song and if he did decent,I vote,it is just that simple.he is original,unique and uncertain.that’s entertaining business.KEEP Interesting.

• roger richard ang says:

i’m also an Asian but i think the recent performance of Heejun is far far better than his past performances….. so I think let’s give a chance to prove himself that he really deserves to be part of the top 9. To be fair with the other top 9 American idols, Heejun’s performance is still not at par with the other Asian Jessica Sanchez who is performing really well. more power to Heejun and jessica…. God bless to all of you….

• scrutinizer says:

i guarantee you erika will get a record deal and become quite respected in the music business. her gorgeous vocal tone and sophisticated phrasing have already found a home in many music lovers’ hearts. she might not go on to sell as many records as rhianna or beyonce but she will always have a loyal following. i’m sad that america didn’t appreciate her talent and didn’t allow us to hear beautiful, sultry voice for at least a few more weeks.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

She bored the crap outta me. She came off as safe and old and tired. She’s “good” yes, but this year you need more than just raw singing ability. She sang more in the “Sing for your life” than she had all season. She held back up til then and paid for it. The audience doesn’t like being held out on.

• My Alter Ego says:

Dear scrutinizer: To “guarantee that Erika will receive a record deal and become quite respected in the music” industry is quite a statement. While I hope that you are right, I’m not sure how you can you back that up. Please let us know what you know.

• BostonBuddha says:

I think there will be a huge backlash against Heejun from now on. I really like Heejun, but he didn’t need any extra weeks on this show to find his audience and to maximize his career prospects. If anything, his comedic talents will only start wearing thin the longer people see him, and his singing is not going to improve without a lot more training (which he won’t get while appearing on Idol). But Erika could have really used the extra weeks on air to better grow a fan base for a future career.

• sandy says:

YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT A Limit on the voting is necessary if the show is going to keep its ratings. Lots of people like to watch the show but don’t want to and don’t have time to vote for two hours. Sad about Erika

Lana del Ray??? Not good… better than she was on “SNL” in January but she sounds like she has stuff in her mouth,and is just boring. If she is gonna just stand there she needs to draw you in.. Good thing she writes .great songs and sounds great recorded (great producers)..Wish she was half that good live.

Haley Reinhart, sounded great. Not sure about the song but I probably just need to hear it a few times It might have been the sound – It was difficult really to hear both her and Lana.

• nchamlong2 says:

I couldn’t agree more about limiting the voting! They should do like Dancing With Stars and limit each customer to, say, 12 votes a week each from their landline, mobile device or online.

• Angela says:

I don’t think Erika had a legitimate shot at winning, just because she’s never impressed enough to separate herself from the others and has always been overshadowed by people like Elise and Jessica, though I also felt like she could’ve improved in weeks to come. However, there’s no question that she shouldn’t have gone home.

The elimination should’ve been either Deandre or Heejun. Now, about Heejun, I didn’t think his lighthearted approach was “mockery” of the system or whatever, but he simply didn’t sound good at all. It honestly irritates me that neither of them got out; at least they were in the bottom three, which is a good sign, I guess.

• dianaprince says:

Haley’s song — was just okay for me. Mainly because I couldn’t understand a single word she was singing. She was mumbling or something. Not her best, and I am a fan. She looked gorgeous and the sets and all that were good.

Erika — Waaahhh! I am sad.
      Deandre — Never been a fan. Yes, he’s talented, but I agree with Jimmy — too much bouncing and tossing his hair back. He should always wear his hair back or cut it. He’s not milli vanelli.
      Heejun — I thought he was funny. And bold. It wasn’t the greatest performance, but it wasn’t bad. I’m not sure how much future he has by admitting he doesn’t care about winning and kinda acting a bit defeated on the results show. He really disappointed me by his comments and the fact I’m not sure what kind of artist he’s trying to be. He has a lot of talent, but I guess he really doesn’t want a singing career. ?

This is really the tightest group of contestants ever. All so ready to go.

2. Elena says:

I’m in mourning tonight. So, so sad right now. :-(

3. Jess says:

VoteForTheWorst claims another victory tonight… Heejun was their pick…

• Ben says:

VFTW claims no victory, and its insulting that anyone would confuse a clear fan base which Heejun has had from day one with a website which had failed to have any effect on the contest for some years.

• Jess says:

Ben, get insulted all you want. I said VFTW *claims* victory, I didn’t say they single-handedly earned it or that they were the sole reason Heejun was safe. It merely means that this is what they claim, and that is who they picked. They don’t generally pick “good” contestants this early in the competition. btw, reading comprehension is your friend…

• Ben says:

They don’t pick anything. It’s a public vote. Anyone can go in there and vote for whoever they want, and frequently its someone with a rabid fan base that wins. As for ‘claim’, it has many meanings, and the fact you bothered to post that comment on this site at all implies you meant a different one to your explanation.

• Jess says:

Ben, VFTW “picks” the “worst” contestant on their website, splashing his image on their homepage, and then they encourage everyone to vote for that “worst” contestant that they picked. All I said was that they claimed victory (which they did!), and that they picked Heejun as their VFTW pick (which they did!), and added that they generally don’t pick “good” contestants this early in the competition (which is also TRUE!). I’m sorry if facts and simple reading comprehension bother you so much, but you should learn to accept them. Your feverishly defensive comments when it comes to Heejun are quite amusing. Keep it up!

• Ben says:

I think its funny that you attack my reading comprehension (twice) but assume I was insulted by you, not VFTW. It’s them that are insulting by claiming victory. But your ‘facts’ are anything but, except for the fact vftw claimed victory – and I just gave you a genuine fact, that vftw choose their contestants by public vote, there is no picking. If Jessica or Phil was their public vote, its their choice, its nothing to do with bad or good, but much more frequently to do with fan bases.

• musica1 says:

VoteForTheWorst has no impact on Idol. That’s been shown season after season. They’ve picked so many “worsts” who have gone out the very next week. They always get excited when they happen to pick someone who is popular enough to stay around for awhile, but they really shouldn’t brag since it’s all to do with Heejun’s legions of fans and not the three people who vote just because VFTW says to.

4. C says:

I said it last week, and I’ll say it here again; the women will once again be picked off one by one, allowing several much less talented guys to continue on. Never again will a female win American Idol until/unless the voting system is changed. Any word on next week’s theme?

• Ben says:

C, keep saying it. Good luck to you.

• Lee says:

Maybe the reason the women keep getting picked off one-by-one every year is because they’re boring as hell. Last year it was Pia, This, Lauren. This year it’s Hollie, Erika, Elise. Some viewers thought the women were stronger this year than the men. I never thought that was the case because most of the women all sounded the same. (One of them even had to change the color of her hair to stand out.) The men, on the other hand, are mostly distinctive and unique. Who cares who has the biggest range. It’s creativity and originality that will sell records. I’d take a creative and original band like The Beatles over a dime-a-dozen Celine Dion any day of the week.

• Yo' says:

If they are boring, it is because the producers choose them that way. The producers set the women up to fail and they do it repeatedly. There is no excuse for it.

• Cup of Joe says:

Get real, dude. While the men are unique, it doesn’t change the fact that they’re also vaguely competent versions of some idols past. At least the women do deliver.

• nodak says:

I thought that last year’s winner, Scotty, was a nice kid, but should’ve had Boring as a middle name. He could sing 1 type of music, with no originality. All of his songs sounded alike. If women are being voted out because they were boring, then what happened last year?

• C, don’t be such a tool, ok?

• musica1 says:

I don’t think you’re right. I think Jessica and Hollie and hopefully Elise have real staying power. Whether they can beat Phil and Colton will have more to do with whether or not they can consistently bring their A game week after week. Elise and Jessica floundered last week and Hollie did this week. If they can become more consistent, any one of them could win it. Phil and Colton are consistently good week after week, so we’ll see. And as far as who went off this week, Erica never developed a fan base. Heejun has an interesting voice AND is entertaining. Erica just had an interesting voice.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Agreed. There’s no reason a girl has to go home next week. There were two guys in the bottom three tonight. Even though Erica left, the fact that America was willing to vote dudes into that position was encouraging. If Heejun keeps on his same trajectory (that of a comet screaming toward a crash landing), I’ll hold out hope that he goes home this time next week.

• ejones says:

Hollie has floundered every week, she picks big songs but doesn’t have the voice to cope. Not one of her performances has been up to standard, much much weaker than Erika.

• What the heck are you smoking, guy? She’s just had one off-week (this week). Proof: Go to WhatNotToSing.com.

• Lee says:

Hollie was pitchy this week AND last week. And she has yet to get a standing ovation unlike Jessica who has already had 3!!!

• Cup of Joe says:

Lee, we all know that what your telling is a bunch of hogwash. Just because she hasn’t got a standing O yet doesn’t mean her performances weren’t solid in some way. Quit being such a doody-head wanker.

• chistosa says:

I disagree. Right now Jessica, Skylar and Hollie are still enjoying huge voting blocks. Along with them are Colton and Phillip. Heejun and Deandre were in the bottom 3 again. They have both been there before. Last year Lauren Alaina commanded a lot of voting, getting her in second place ahead of Haley. But truly, Scotty was more personable and that made the difference. I am already hearing from quite a few people that they truly admire the incredible pipes that Hollie and Jessica have but are starting to find them tiresome. Jessica needs to stop oversinging and Hollie needs to change it up. Every week is the same with her. Skylar sometime shrieks. I am not a fan of Phillip but he brings it. Colton is improving week by week. If the girls don’t start showing some growth, they will be voted out. But not because they are girls. Elyse is the one exception. She is amazing and should go all the way but her maturity and smoky tones don’t play well with younger voters. I will be sorry to see her go.

• hp says:

Jessica is the best. with all the whistle thing she did.. that’s something that the other girls can’t do. Her style is different.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

Yah, unfortunately, there are no women on a nice upward trajectory like Phillip and Colton. Elise maybe, but I don’t see her winning this whole thing anyway. I think that MZ and JI are right about Skylar, she needs to start going somewhere, but I’m really afraid Hollie and Jessica might have peaked too early.

• RJ says:

Songs from the contestant’s idols

• John says:

Please, THREE girls havent even been in the bottom 3 yet and two males were in the bottom 3. So its not COMPLETELY biased towards males.

5. Gus says:

I was sad to see Erika go, but I really like Heejun. I feel like he’s got a lot of potential if he starts taking the competition seriously, so I’m happy that we’ll see him again next week.

• Jess says:

what makes you think he’s going to start taking the competition seriously?? He knows that he’s not that great when he tries to be, and he doesn’t feel like a star, and he just hung his head in shame as Erika sang her behind off. He also said he’d be even crazier if he gets another week. Are you paying attention, Gus?

• Gus says:

I don’t know, I really just want to give him one more chance. I really think he’ll come around next week – being on the b3 and receiving the kind of feedback he received must really get to you, no matter what he says in front of the camera.

I don’t know, it’s probably wishful thinking because I really liked him during the Hollywood rounds. I know he’s not going to win this thing, but I still find his performances entertaining.

• Really now? His ballad performances were quite dreary, mind you. (That’s a Pot-Kettle-Black statement for those who thought the same with resident divas Jess and Hollie.)

And his performance last night? The less said, the better.

That being said, he’ll most likely finish the same place where popular yet lackadaisical singers end up (7th).

• No, Heejun has zero potential. You are retarded, and deserve to have your phone taken away. Along with all of the rest of you that think this.

• Ben says:

Thanks for the insult. Heejun has plenty of potential, one of the most gorgeous tones I’ve ever heard ont he idol stage. You deserve to go join an extreme right wing political party, where they think that other peoples opinions are invalid because they are different.

• Plenty of potential, alright… wasted on snoozy ballads and that whatchamacallit he did last ngiht.

• Except Heejun, has no vocal range and has never taken the contest as something that he wants for a serious singer , he has been a joke all season and got through because people confused his being an ass as being cute

• Ben says:

Or because people like me don’t give a stuff about whether he is an ass or cute (as I don’t with ANY of them) and just vote for the people whose studios I want to download. That is Heejun.

• alyssa says:

the extreme (and even non-extreme) left wing political party does the same thing, so I’m not sure what point you thought you were making with that or why you even brought politics into this, but it’s not going to make Heejun any more talented or suddenly have non-pitchy performances. It’s not all about tone, it’s about putting together a genuine performance that’s in tune and Heejun’s not doing that.

• Ben says:

Guess you interpreted me wrong. If I tell someone to go buy a tulip I’m not excluding them from buying a rose. My point wasn’t political, it was about the ridiculousness of people not accepting that other people can have other opinions. And to me, it is all about he tone, and particularly about the studios (all of which I think Heejun does great), and very little about the performance given on the night. Plus, frankly (last night aside) I think Heejun puts in very genuine performances and isn’t alone in mising notes from time to time.

• Joe says:

One of “the most gorgeous tones you’ve ever heard on the Idol stage”? How long were you cryogenically frozen Ben?

• Did you just call someone “retarded?” Really? Do people still do that? Wow. Unbelievable.

• Owen says:

You know, I think Hee Jun is playing the only way a Korean male (possibly any Asian male) can on this show. We ignore race when talking about Idol, we come down on anyone who dares mention race plays a part in American Idol voting. But its a reality. America will vote for a gorgeous Asian woman, no problem. But Asian guys seem to have no business in rock’n’roll. As most record charting can attest to (are there any successful Asian male singers…even Filipinos ..?) Anyway, what Hee Jun has done is create a personality for himself, a cute adorable personality. A somewhat subversive (in a darling sorta way) personality that makes his singing talents superfluous. And makes him standout and appealing to middle America. He’s smart enough to know its how to stay in the game. Unfortunately this kind of grandstanding has a very short shelf life, people are tiring of him already as their affections move toward more talented (singing) contestants. I would also bet if his singing actually WAS better he’d be exactly at the same point in the competition.

• Lee says:

Well, have you heard of Bruno Mars? He’s half Filipino. (The other half is Puerto Rican.) I would consider him an Asian man.

• Chris says:

Arnel Pineda is the lead singer for the band Journey – and he’s Filipino and awesome!

• Deathnote says:

you’re hilarious! Now go take your meds, and I mean the whole bottle.

6. Ellen says:

Wow, was that a travesty or what?! Hee Jun not only did horrendous karaoke last night, live…but he basically admitted that he doesn’t even care about winning! EVP sounded amazing and she gets booted? Utterly pathetic.

• Alice Wilson says:

He didn’t say he didn’t care about winning. He said he wasn’t a star! He was himself…You hear what you want to hear if you are looking to criticize.

• musica1 says:

He said he was demoralized by the bad comments he got the week before. If you remember from day 1 he’s had low self esteem. Every step along the way he didn’t think he was good enough even when he was singing brilliantly. I don’t think Heejun will make it very far, but neither would Erica have if she had made it through tonight. She was a good singer but boring in a season when there are so many good singers who are not boring.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I liked Erica, but I do agree with this. She probably wasn’t long for this competition, especially if she kept choosing power ballads, but at the least I would have liked Heejun to go home tonight and for Erica to last one more week.
        Here’s a question: what, if anything, are the judges going to do with that save of theirs? If they weren’t going to use it on Erica this week, I can’t think of anyone they should use it on. Accepting maybe Heejun, everyone is so good that saving one person and putting everyone else in danger of a double elimination the following week seems unfair. Are they allowed to not use it?

• Davey says:

I don’t think the judges have to use the save but they’ll probably use it if someone gives a great performance and then winds up with the lowest number of votes.

• Kristin says:

The good thing is that I’m pretty sure there won’t be a double elimination after they use the save, since there was essentially a double elimination last week (with Jermaine being eliminated)–if they do another double elimination it would totally screw with the finale date.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Oh, yeah. All the more reason they should have used it tonight! Aw, some good could have come out of Jermaine’s presence on the show and the judges wasted out.

• Ben says:

I agree with this Kristin. Having said that, I see little point in saving someone who is consistently in the bottom 3 – it would have wasted something that could be much more effective later.

• TheBeach says:

I believe they will use the save only if or when Uncle Nigel tells them to.

• MamaLis says:

Oh, I completely believe that an edict has been issued over in Idol Oz. That “save” will NOT be used until Jessica and (probably Joshua) are firmly in the Top Three. Voting “accidents” happen based on that screwed up system, and we all know who Idol wants in their finale.

• NedPepper says:

They’re saving it just in case Phillip or Joshua get the lowest votes. It’s obvioius. They will not save Elise with it. They will not save Hollie. I don’t even know if they’d save Skylar.

• Angela says:

Though I think Erika deserved to stay longer, I can’t blame the judges for not using the save this week. There are still four weeks left when it might come in handy, and I think they’re being more cautious after last year, when they used it early on with Casey and had to suffer the backlash when Pia got out later. Obviously, it depends on how the next few weeks go, but I could see Joshua and Elise as two people that could possibly encounter some danger and merit a save.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

They will use it on someone they think can make it to the finals I’m sure, if they use it at all.

I’m sure they’d actually like to not have to use it every damn season.

• Ben says:

I think Heejun cares very very deeply about doing his best. He is clearly an extreme introvert who uses humour to shield himself, and who takes criticism seriously. Don’t believe me? Listen to the diction in his most recent studio compared to his first and see how far he has come.

• Joe says:

Yes Ben…you’re the only one who understands the gentle soul of Mr. Heejun Han. The people who actually make a living in the entertainment business who he has been surrounded by for months and turned on him this week for acting like a fool on stage know absolutely nothing. Thank goodness he’ll have you to buy his self financed CD filled with treacly poorly sung ballads and “I wanna dance”. I can assure you, no one else will.

• DZ says:

I agree. Heejun has poor self esteem and was complete demoralized by the judges comments the week before. This humor thing is his coping mechanism. I actually didn’t think he was making fun of the competition with his performance Wednesday night – it was his attempt to sing something uptempo and different. Only his attempts to do something “fun” came off as “fun-ny.” Get it? Of course, now that America is sour towards him, he will soon leave, but I don’t think he’s been given a fair shake. I like his voice, but his poor enunciation and lack of breath control will do him in anyway.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

Exactly. He is who he is. As someone with a similar personality, I can tell you, if he’s like me, it’s not an act, nor is he flippant or uncaring. He cares a lot, more than you might think. He is probably overanalysing everything he’s done and said and beating himself up for doing and saying the wrong thing. I feel for the kid.

7. vcuvball says:

I am completely disappointed in how America votes.

• Christine Meyers says:

Idol’s voting is so skewed since they allowed multiple text votes. The VAST majority of votes (and I mean millions) that come in by either phone or text are from teenage girls. It is now and always will be a popularity contest geared toward that demographic. Hence the last 4 winners have been WGWG. It will truly take a tremendous effort for a girl to win – I think Jessica is the only one this year who could do it. Otherwise, the winner this year will be Colton (who I do think is very good).

8. Ben says:

Erika didn’t deserve any more weeks. She was too generic. I don’t think there was anything she could have done to make herself stand out (and no, Michael, I don’t blame your styling tips. Too little, too late). I would think it is obvious how Heejun survived – his performance last night was a virtual plea for votes and frankly a lock for making sure he didn’t go home. But I hope he returns to ballads next week.

9. s says:

I’m definitely upset about Erika going home. I thought her performance last night was one of the best, but I’m not surprised since the Idol voters just don’t seem to like awesome ladies very much.
    On another note, Haley killed it! So happy to see her back on the stage.

10. C says:

Who will go next week…Hollie or Skylar?

11. Tom says:

I don’t think Erika would’ve been a contender, but I do think she could’ve lasted a few more weeks, and she CERTAINLY deserved to stay over Heejun. But maybe this will help Elise win over more voters? A silver lining if there ever was one. But yeah, bummed about this elimination, but it was coming sooner or later.

Curious as to what the theme of next week will be.

12. Rick says:

Haley <3

• JMT says:

<3 <3 <3

Now that Miss Reinhart has performed on the show, the only reason to watch S11 is Elise. If she gets booted before Heejun or Deandre or Phillip my only connection to this season will be Idoloonies, er Idology!!

13. Gina says:

The right person did NOT go home. And, while I know you were joking and basking in your Haley-love, I hardly think that’s a big old consolation prize to someone who did take this competition VERY seriously and was actually extremely talented.
    I do blame the judges for this. They never, in all the live shows, gave her a flat out good review without throwing in some niggling little judgement of more, more, less, more. And, I have absolutely no respect for any of them. However, they do embody what the music industry is all about. In this list of priorities, actual singing in way down on the list.
    And, really, Michael…the girl is trying to sing through having her dream snatched away and you call her on being (every so slightly) pitchy? Are you auditioning for the next AI judge?
    Oh, and Lana del Ray??? Yikes.

14. Larali says:

How could this happen???!?!!??!? come on… Heejun and Deandre safe? Erika leaving? It is so annoying. In all fairness Erika hadn’t reached the peak where we know she could get… true. But honestly, Heejun has shown even less… and Deandre is fading away… pfuu… i am sorry the audience just focus on teens and boys and forgets about singing and performing really

• musica1 says:

Erika was not that good. She was good, but not better than any other singer left in the competition. She was actually bad last week and was just boring this week, especially when compared to the others.

• zaza says:

I’m not that upset about Erika leaving. I liked her, but she didn’t really deliver. She kept saying that she was a rocker, but she didn’t really have a rocker voice and she had a tendency to over-sing.

• Owen says:

She is certainly better than Hollie, if we are comparing girls with big voices.

• TheBeach says:

Sorry but I’ve gotta disagree that she was not better than any of the remaining singers. Not better that Heejun? Not better than Deandre? And last night she was better than several others also.

• Karrie says:

Erika did NOT deserve to go home! Although, why did she not rock it out if she kept claiming to be one; unfortunately Skylar rocks more than she ever did. Erika is better than at least a few that are left! Hopefully though some of her votes will now go to Elise who deserves to be top 3

Haley’s song sucked and I loved her last year but if this is what her albumn will be like, I’m not buying it!

• Justin says:

I love how supporters of Hollie, Jessica and Colton call Erika “generic.” That’s classic.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I’m still holding out hope for Deandre. He could come back; it all depends on next week. I’d be curious to know how close the votes were for Erika and Heejun, cause if they were close together I’d be willing to bet that flipping the order of their performances (Heejun goes second and Erika goes eighth) wouldn’t resulted in Erika staying.

• Owen says:

Deandre needs real help in choosing songs. He doesn’t seem to know his own capabilities and/or limits. Though I’m pretty sure the poor boy is about as dumb as a box of rocks…

• TheBeach says:

The placement of the singers could definitely have made a difference in the results. I’m afraid I’m not nearly as high on Deandre as you are, though.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

This Woman’s Work and Master Blaster are two of my favorite performances from this Season. The kid’s definitely talented; he just hasn’t always stepped up. I’ve seen him be amazing. He just needs to tap into whatever made those performances work.

• TB says:

I completely agree with you about Deandre. He has been wildly inconsistent all season, but it’s not because he isn’t talented. It’s because he needs very specific songs to showcase his voice, and there’s nothing wrong with that. A lot of fantastic artists couldn’t succeed if they weren’t singing songs that were specifically for them. The problem is though, I don’t know if he quite recognizes that. He’s very very young after all. He might not have gotten to the point where he can recognize that he’s not capable of doing everything he wants to do. And his age might be tripping him up in the decision making process as well, because he seems like he’s having trouble filtering the advice he’s getting with his own instincts. That said, I’m rooting for him. And I hope he sticks around for a couple more weeks, if only because I think he has more potential for growth than any other competitor, except maybe Hollie, and growth always makes for thrilling television.

• junebug says:

I agree with you about Deandre. I’m so sick of the teeny bopper comments. When he is on, he has a beautiful heartfelt voice. His range is amazing. I hope he has a “moment” next week. If not, I know he will have a career when he leaves. Probably a better one than most contestants who make it to #1.

15. Miscellaneopolan says:

Thought 1: Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!
    Thought 2: Deandre got off easy. He better start living up to his potential next week to take the sting out of losing Erica.
    Thought 3: I was happy to see Haley and I really like her new song, but she looked like a windswept circus clown and the staging was ridiculous. She should have taken a cue from Lana Del Rey (words very rarely written) and done a stripped-down version.
    Thought 4: Heejun said he’ll do something crazy next week. I can only hope it’ll be as ludicrous as what he did last week and that he’ll leave.
    Final Thought: That hug between Elise and Erika at the end was sweet. Latter-decade 20-somethings unite!

• Mel says:

I wonder if in the history of time, anyone has ever used the phrase “windswept circus clown.” I am still cracking up. I love Haley, but that is so accurate I can’t stand it!! Well done.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Thanks! I admit that I was very happy after coming up with that description.

• TB says:

Is it weird that I totally agree with you about how completely over the top ridiculous Haley’s performance was, but loved it for the exact same reasons you didn’t like it? I just wanted to diva snap and head roll the whole time lol it’s been a long time since something so purely fun happened on the Idol stage.

• Earthling says:

Well, Haley is from the windy city like yourself, get use to seeing it . She’s a high hair kind of woman. Show us what you’ve learned in college. Post your talents on youtube and let us judge you.

• TheBeach says:

Oh well, I’ll agree with you guys that Haley’s hair was a bit, uh…much. But otherwise I thought she looked hot.

• Shana says:

I agree with you regarding Haley… I found it kind of lounge-y actually.

• deb says:

I had to mute the tv during Haley’s song. did not like her when she was on AI and still can’t take her voice.

• Angela says:

I thought Haley sounded great, but agreed that the hair didn’t work. I also don’t care for the song; it was probably an unrealistic expectation given that Idol is supposed to be a pop show dedicated to churning out radio-friendly hits, but I was hoping that she’d go full-out with a bluesy, jazzy thing.

• Templar says:

I don’t know who wrote the song, but they clearly sampled Rod Stewart’s “Tonight’s the Night” I didn’t like the song and am not a Haley fan, but that song didn’t do her any favors.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

Awww, I loved her big curly Haley hair. It made her her.

16. JVC says:

People it is a travesty EVP is going but let’s not loose hope just yet. Keep mind she was the only girl in the bottom 3 this week where as last week it was an all female bottom 3. With that said, the girls are going to need to bring it next. Hejunn should go home next week but I’m no sure he will, and DeAndre might redeem himself after his trip to the bottom. But who knows the save might get invoked for the first time on a female contestant. By the way does anyone know what the theme will be next week?

17. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

I had a feeling they weren’t going to use the save no matter which of that Bottom 3 came in last. I have a feeling they’re saving it for Colton, Hollie, Jessica, Joshua, Phillip, and/or Skylar.
    Yeah, I’ll miss Erika, and I wonder how much longer Heejun can stick around (he’s the new Vote for the Worst contestant), but there’s always the iTunes recordings. And maybe I’ll catch the tour. Plus, we still have Hollie. And Colton. And Joshua. And Skylar. And Phillip. And Jessica. And Elise. (Rightful Top 7! Please?)

18. Brigette says:

Erika should not have left, but I am THRILLED that DeAndre is still in the running. I was so worried for him. Haley’s performance tonight felt like such a victory after all the drama last year. That reaction from the crowd was like they were welcoming their queen home. (But that cage was weird, right?) Whatever. She’s the true season 10 winner for me!

• Tarc says:

I totally agree about Haley being the real winner of last year.

• Templar says:

You may want to compare her bank statement to Scotty’s. LOL

• abfidy says:

I just did. Scotty McCreery net worth: 1.2 million. Haley Reinhart net worth: 1.5 million. He might have sold a ton of albums but he’s still stuck with the crappy winner’s deal.

• Templar says:

B.S.

• abfidy says:

I mean, I don’t necessarily think it’s fair considering how much he’s sold. But then you also have to think that Scotty was under 18 when he got signed, so they were probably able to swing him for less, and Brad Paisley probably got away with paying him in nickels to open on tour. Plus Haley’s iTunes recordings were selling like gangbusters all through the season, which probably gave her a bit of a buzz around the business, and she was free to negotiate at her own pace and on her own terms with the label. Plus with the way that Interscope’s arrangement with Idol works, I’m wondering if she had interest from other labels that then pushed her cache up, forcing Interscope to offer her better benefits and bonuses than the ones offered to the winner. Who knows? But yeah, that’s the report according to Google. I wish the music industry weren’t so tightlipped about their business dealings, but I have to say I’m fascinated all the same.

• Templar says:

Celebrity has Scotty at 2 mill+.

• abfidy says:

That’s a projected value for 2012. If you look at his estimated earnings from last year, he’s at 1.2 million. There are no accurate projected values for Haley because there’s no guarantee at what her album will do or who she’ll tour with, so I’m hesitant to use Scotty’s projected earnings. As of the end of last year, she had a higher net value than he did according to celebritynetworth.com.

19. An appropriate word is “travesty”. Erika was one of the top performers last night. She did not deserve to be in the bottom 3. She got no love from the judges last night or tonight–even without the save. I understand not using it on her because she was in the bottom 3 each week, but to not give her any praise for last night or encouraging words tonight is really disgusting.

• Gina says:

Absolutely, Denise! I totally agree. I was expecting them to, at least, tell her that she was wonderful but…sorry, they couldn’t use the save. Randy, pithy all of a sudden, more or less just told her “sorry…no.” That was disgusting.

• musica1 says:

By “top” you mean most boring, right? She had very little charisma and could not build a fan base. She had a good voice, but so does everybody else.

20. Ravendeb says:

Heejun should have been gone, not erika :0(

21. Jessica says:

BOO!!!

22. Josh says:

Ergh I like Heejun but no, he did not deserve to stay over Erika! I mean I wouldn’t have minded Deandre, as he isn’t a great singer either…but Eruka! ERGH!

23. Dags says:

American Idol has been boring for awhile. Does anyone buy albums by Kris Allen, Lee DeWyze or Scotty McCreary? No. At least Heejun provides some form of entertainment for the show.

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Um, excuse me? Scotty has sold more than 1.5 million albums since his “Clear As Day” debuted. He has enjoyed a successful tour with Brad Paisley, and he is currently finishing his senior year of high school (because unlike some other teen stars, he recognizes the value of education. He’s even applied for college!) So don’t be so quick to write him off as a failure.
      Also, Kris’ “Live Like We’re Dying” went platinum. I think it may even be multi-platinum.

• Lars says:

In my opinion, Scotty is the worst and more boring of the three. The mere fact he is all american good boy has made him sold, just what southern woman who watch AI love. And that number is totally false. He hasn’t actually reached the 1 million copies sold.

• Karrie says:

Um, excuse me, but I’m a southern woman who actually lives near Nashville and I HATED Scotty; James, Haley & Pia were my favorites with James being 1st! Are you actually from the south, Lars?

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I know that SOMEBODY is buying music by Scotty McCreery. I don’t know this person, but McCreery’s album has sold very well.

• Mary says:

Yes I actually brought Kris album and I can’t wait till his new single comes out next week and the album shortly there after. Do you think before you speak, I don’t have Scotty album, not into
      Country, but obviously someone is because he is gold. I am sorry your person was voted off but
      There is no need to be so juvenile.

• Davey says:

I’m looking forward to Kris’s new album and his new songs sound promising. So yes, I’ll buy his new album.

• perfesser says:

Yup. Kris Allen is great.

24. HALEY REINHART #1 says:

HALEY REINHART SLAYED PEOPLE. FIERCE TO DEATH

25. Kelm says:

I liked Erika but I don’t care….

HALEYYYYYYYYYYYYY <3

26. Tim says:

I think the hair did Erika in. It made her look even older and more out of touch.

• betsybug says:

Sleaze, you told her to dye her hair black. You didn’t tell her to look like a cross between Kris Jenner and Lucille 2 from Arrested Development.

27. Jen says:

A girl will never win AI again until they change the way the public can vote, Simple as that. Maybe after this year when Phil Phil wins they will change it. I keep hoping.

M
    eanwhile the Voice is really good…

28. JB says:

EVP IS the right person to go because not enough people connected with her. So be it, DEAL WITH IT.

And by the way, isn’t it funny how just 1 week ago, everyone on this board was rejoicing over the elimination THAT SHOULDN’T HAVE EVEN HAPPENED AT ALL, and this week everyone is up in arms over it? Everybody’s a hypocrite I guess.

29. Mary says:

Well I am not happy that she left before Heejun, but reality is she never caught on with the audience. At this stage, people are voting for their favorite. To tell you the truth I am
    Surprise Elsie wasn’t in the bottom. I knew the judges would not save her. I think the judges were pissed that Heejun survived. This group is talented, people have to vote for
    Their favorite, but when the contestant saids I don’t want a career in music they have to jump ship. people vote with your ears.

30. Renda says:

All I have to say about that is:

1) Lady Reinhart was fabulous

• darcy's evil twin says:

“2) The guys could take a crap on stage (Heejun practically did) and they’d still last longer than the girls”
      You get a Made Me Laugh! :-)
      Unfortunately, that’s probably true!

31. PFitzDC says:

Waaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!! I know that this is an evenly matched year, and that heartbreak would pile on week after week. But it’s a total injustice that the hugely talented Erika went home before the weak, weak DeAndre and the unfunny goofball (shades of Sanjaya) Heejun.

Heejun doesn’t want to be a “star”? What the @*!$ is he doing on Idol if he’s going to sing off-key and disrespect the hard work of his fellow performers? He should volunteer to go home to someone who takes it more seriously.

• Shana says:

I think he said “i’m not a star” not “I don’t want to be a star”. He recognizes that he’s not a star, plus his self-esteem has been low from the beginning. He should have gone home tonight but I’m sure he wants to win as much as the others.

32. justin says:

oh haley. so beautiful. stunning. mesmerizing. heavenly.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Okay, this might be an unpopular opinion but I’ve gotta get it out there. I really like Haley’s song, “Free.” It’s soulful, shows off her range, and has a nice hook; it should be a hit. But I liked it much more when I watched a video of her performing it at a Hard Rock Cafe with a lone piano for accompaniment. Am I the only one who thought that the staging for Haley’s performance was, well… really, really stupid? C’mon: the cage, the backgrounds, the tidal wave hair… It was all so kitchy and put-on and over-produced and just not Haley. Again: love Haley, love the song. Would rather she have toned down the histrionics and focused on the rather lovely melody and words.

• Brigette says:

I kind of agree with you. I was like, “What are you doing in that cage, girl? Please get out of that cage. What is up with your hair, girl? Please fix your hair.” But I still loved it. Love the song, love her, loved the crowd’s reaction.

• Emma says:

I knew when Nigel tweeted that Wade Robson was staging it that we was gonna get somethin OTT but actually compared to some of his SYTYCD stuff it wasn’t as OTT as I was concerned it would be, I really liked it. And Haley slayed it, she was awesomesauce!!!

• Mary B says:

I agree totally. I bought her single and play it over and over but the staging and her hair was too much and it cheapened the performance. I actually thought I was watching factor.

• Rob says:

Totally agree. Distracting. Cheesy…maybe a bit sleezy!

• Jaxguy says:

amen!

33. jake says:

Dial idol is completely wrong again — even though deandre was at the bottom and erika was second from the bottom — heejun was at the top 2 or 3.

I know what you will all say that it doesn’t count texts, but I thought heejun would have more fans.

• Annie says:

Dial Idol had everyone in the bottom three. I don’t think there were a lot of votes yesterday, and based on Dial Idol’s results, the race between the ten finalists was too close to call.

34. TB says:

Well….Haley was awesome…..I have nothing positive to say besides that. Sad for Erika, sad for the millions who had their retinas burned by Jennifer’s dress.

• Owen says:

Did you see Casey was in the audience tonight rooting his best pal on?

• TB says:

I did and I think his parents were there too, and it was just adorable. Did you see the pictures of Stefano backstage rooting his rumored girlfriend on? The season 10 love…it warms my heart.

35. Shawn says:

The good: Haley. I admit I wasn’t a big Haley last season but this song made me want more of Haley.

The bad: Well didn’t care for Lana Del Ray or whatever her name was. True snoozefeast song. And a talented singer going leaving over someone who should be a comedian or an actor. Sorry this is the wrong competition for Heejun.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I had never heard Lana Del Ray before tonight but I gotta say that I dug her performance. She has a very interesting voice, and those lyrics I could make out sounded intriguing. I may have to look up more of her.

• Brigette says:

At least Lana did better than she did on SNL. I will give her that.

• TheBeach says:

Wow, really? I thought she was better than an Ambien.

• Leah says:

I thought she WAS on Ambien! Whatever she’s taking, I want some. She was CLEARLY under the influence of something. No one acts (sings) like that without being stoned on something! At one point, she had a WHOLE different voice!!!

Dissociative Identity Disorder, anyone?

36. Davey says:

I love Haley and she sounded great tonight but Free is kind of forgettable. I hope there are some better songs on the album. Casey James on the other hand has a very good single that suits him like a glove. And his CD is good with several songs that could become singles.

I didn’t think they would save Erika but she sang very well in her final song. She was the best of the bottom three.

37. jake says:

She sang second, she’s older and she’s not a size 0 — i wonder if that has any effect. It’s sad, Erika was one of my favorite singers. At least she’s on tour.

38. Me Me says:

Hm… not that surprised. Loved her last night. But honestly, it was the first performance where she nailed it. It was just too little too late. At least she got a cool haircut out this gig.

39. Annie says:

The hair wasn’t her main problem, but I wish they’d left it in a style that made her look as sexy as she did last week.

Erika has a great voice, but none of her performances ever made her stand out from everyone else ( or at least differentiate her from Elise). Am I the only one who thinks that the producers sacrificed her in order to save Elise? I think that they are betting that the people who voted for her will now vote for Elise, and ensure that she stays around longer than she (should) would have if Erika was there. It’s like they know that both of them are vulnerable, so they pimped Elise yesterday in order to get rid of Erika.

• BostonBuddha says:

I completely agree with your suspicions. The judges should have saved Erika — she deserved to be on the show longer. The judges, if they had any integrity, would not have been nitpicking her beautiful performance last night, and would have flatly stated that she deserved to be on Idol longer. All of them admired her singing, but they seemed to have decided they there was only room enough this year for one older jazzy woman, so they gave all the praise and pimp spots to Elise, their chosen one.

• Peggy Sue says:

I hadn’t thought of that, but you might be right – and that strategy will probably work in terms of Elise getting the votes Erika was getting.

40. blingedup says:

I’m really bummed that Erika is gone. She and Elise have been my two favorites from the start. I do think that many of Erika’s votes will go to Elise, so there is that very tiny silver lining. Erika should’ve outlasted several of them, imo. Sad.

On a brighter note, Haley was magnificent. She looks and sounds amazing.

41. Nedsdag says:

I thought Haley sounded good, but I’m sorry my fellow Haleyans, that song isn’t a Top 10 record.

As for tonight’s result show, I was changing back and forth between AI and the basketball game. I turned the channel when I saw the bottom three and I knew Erika was a goner.

The save will be used on one of two contestants: Joshua or Jessica. The judges and head honchos do not want another Pia situation. Plus, demographics rule.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Go seek out the acoustic version of Haley’s song “Free” on Youtube. It’s much better than what we saw tonight.

• Nedsdag says:

I did. I’m still not impressed.

I had a feeling this would happen with her; a great contestant putting out meh studio music.

I hope the rest of her album is better.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

We have come to a parting of opinions. But that’s okay! I didn’t like her performance tonight but I’ve liked almost all of what I’ve heard from her album. I just hope she sticks to acoustic stuff in the future.

• TB says:

I’m thinking Haley had to pick something as a first single when she was on tour and that was the best option. It just needs to be enough to be a foot in the door, and I’m thinking since it’s sitting at 15 on the iTunes pop charts with no radio play yet, then that’ll be good enough to get promo on the songs she actually wrote.

• Elena says:

I very much agree with you re: Haley. I will buy her album (am looking forward to it, in fact), however, “Free” does absolutely nothing for me.

42. Davey says:

Lana Del Ray is awful. I can’t wait until she fades away. A boring voice, a boring song, they should have had Casey James sing his new single, too.

43. dj says:

I like everyone in the top 10, so it’s hard to see anyone go, and I thought Erika delivered such a beautiful vocal on New York State of Mind. If you are going on performance versus personality, she should have been safe after last night.

44. jennings says:

Was it just me, or were the judges focusing more on the other contestants than they were on Erika when she was singing for her life? It looked like Randy and J-Lo were giving the “survivors” a death stare…..

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I loved that! Where in the world were they looking?! I swear they were each looking off in a different direction, as if they already knew they weren’t going to use the save for Erika and didn’t want to look her in the eye. Definitely a nice, unintentionally funny moment.

• Mary B says:

The judges were upset they knew they were not going to use the save and it would have been wrong for them to use it at this stage of the compitition. Erika was wild card and was in the bottom three every week. If they used the save she would only go home next week. The audience did not connect with her. They normally use the save for someone who is consistant and never was in the bottom three before. That said I liked Erika and would have preferred one of the boys to go but America thought different. I really think if Elise has a bad week she will go next for the same reason. She does not have a big fan base and she is already labeled with a bad attitude. It will take alot on her part to win the audience over.

• Shel says:

I thought I read over the summer that the judges wanted to change the “Save” option to having at least two saves, not one. So, if that is true, I’m sure there were thinking, “THIS is why we need two saves.” However, I still don’t think they should have used it. I hate when two people have to go home the next time – it should only be used for something extraordinary. If they are glaring at anyone, they should have been glaring at themselves. They “constructively” criticized Erika at the absolutely wrong time, with not enough praise thrown in. They know she has had trouble connecting – you don’t nitpick such a beautiful rendition after the mess they let pass from DeAndre – and you don’t just throw away a tacked-on compliment like “still a great vocal” muttered quickly at the end and expect the people aren’t going to notice that. AND they did it with Erika appearing early in the show. Judges need to blame themselves for this.

45. Marilyn says:

Annie, you may have a point. The Erika voters will go to Elise. Both of the older girl were just not going to get too far because this is a young vote show. But, I thought Erika had a great voice and I will miss her as she has such an upbeat personality.

46. Marilyn says:

I actually thought Steven wanted to save her and Jennifer was thinking about it; they sure didn’t discuss it much. I didn’t see much discussion at all, except that I think Steven was upset about her leaving.

• C says:

I think they already have decided who they will use the save on and they just pretend to confer about it if that person isn’t the one that’s in danger of going home. I think they’ll use that save for Jessica, Joshua or Phillip–whoever needs it first.

47. Miscellaneopolan says:

I’m looking forward to the night when Colton actually does go to the bottom 3 just so I can see Seacrest mess with him.
    “Colton. America watched your performance last night… and they loved it! But not enough to make you safe. Head to the stools.”

48. Mary says:

Delray suck, can’t believe people purchaased her music. Also, I don’t believe Haley pre tape her performance, disappointed. I want live performances from past idol. Song not bad but I am not sure what radio station will play it.

• Tarc says:

I love Video Games, and she sang it pitch perfect on Jools Holland. *shrugs* She’s definately not everyone cup of tea, but then again, who is? She’s certainly doesn’t ‘suck’.

49. Bob says:

Erika pulled a Keri Russell. She cut her hair and found herself off TV.

• Tim says:

It didn’t help that they made her look like a middle-aged house frau. I would have gone with a different style/color.

• Tarc says:

She looked like a middle-aged housefrau BEFORE the most excellent makeover.

• Gina says:

How can any of you call a 26-year old a middle-aged housefrau? I mean, really, if you’re standing next to 16 year olds, sure…there’s an age difference.
          But, let’s not get idiotic about it. She’s still a young woman:black hair or blonde.

• Templar says:

She looked like Kris Jenner, so, a grandmotherly look. A hip grandma, but still a grandma.

50. Peggy Keelan says:

I don’t know, I don’t feel as bad about Erika leaving as you do. First, HeeJun should have been the one to go, and everyone knows it including him. Given that (and hoping it’s him next week), I think Erika was the next to go. She might have a great voice, and I hope she finds work singing professionally that she loves- but she is not American Idol material. Not until you limit the votes and give adults a chance to let their choices be heard. But also – as I said to my son as we were watching – (I hate to be mean. … ) she is not rememberable – i.e., she is forgettable. The song she sang tonight – as you pointed out -did not show off her voice, did not show off what she is capable of. I’m glad she made the top ten, but for me – she was in the bottom 2 out of who is left so it might as well be this week. Once we get Heejun voted off, it’s going to be a LOT tougher – I think Elise and Deandre will go next — (even though Elise is fantastic – again, not Idol winner material) and then I don’t want to see ANYBODY go after that! (personal favorite is Skylar – I just like her.) Jessica and Hollie and Phillip should probably be the top 3.

• Owen says:

I don’t get this Hollie love…I mean I really don’t get it…

• Cup of Joe says:

Cute as a button and can belt it like nobody’s business… What’s not to get?

Granted, this was her worst so far, but hopefully, she’ll learn soon.