American Idol Top 10 Results Recap: Nobody Wins From This Misery

erika van pelt brunetteShed no tears for the 10th-place finisher on Season 11 of American Idol. (Well, unless you feel sorry for said contestant having had to endure the up-close sight of Randy Jackson’s sequined creepyface/Golliwogg/Tubby Toast pin during Wednesday’s performance show.)

But in all seriousness, this season, it seems there’s a little less sting following in the footsteps of such Idol footnotes as Julia Demato, Jessica Sierra, Lisa Tucker, Chris Sligh, and Chikezie — at least when you consider how incredibly deep and evenly matched this season’s Top 10 truly is.

What’s more, the evicted singer got one helluva consoliation prize: A spectacular live performance by Season 10′s shiningest star Haley Reinhart, debuting her jazzy fantastic new single “Free.” That birdcage! That slinky red dress! Those slinky red vocals! Honestly, if “Free” isn’t a hit, there should be some kind of Congressional act shutting down every pop radio station from Hawaii to the northern tip of Maine. (“No Earworm Left Behind!”)

Hang on one second. I need a second. Just a second to compose myself, take a few deep breaths, and convince myself that I’m not actually apopletic about tonight’s deeply annoying results, which ended with the ouster of a mature, subtle vocalist who — with a little more confidence and a little less unnecessary foolery from the judges — coulda been a top 5 contendah. Ugh. Let’s talk about some of the non-results aspects of the telecast before we get to the elimination:

* Kudos to the Top 10 for not going the lipsynching route on “For the Longest Time” — perfect choice for the group number! — and actually sounding pretty good in the process.

* Randy should never, ever try to be funny. That’s what he was trying to do with his “Steven and I chose that outfit for her” comment about J.Lo’s “super pink” dress, right?

* Some interersting notes from Jimmy Iovine this week. He’s right that Skylar needs to get creative and show growth if she wants to win this thing. (Which is exactly why she shouldn’t have taken the one country hit written by Billy Joel this week.) And I had to agree with him, too, that Heejun’s performance was nothing more than a “stunt gone wrong” — and certainly not the kind of performance that’s going to inspire Interscope to spend its money on recording and promotion. I disagreed, though, with his notion that Phillip should only take a stand and be himself once he’s out in the real world. The Idol viewing audience is savvy enough to spot when a contestant is making making music and fashion choices that don’t feel authentic, and that’s when they stop picking up the phones and voting. Not to say that Phillip shouldn’t be willing to stretch himself as an artist — and as a potential star — but that doesn’t mean he should have to hang up his guitar or perform to a gaggle of swaybots just because that’s what Diddy would do.

Okay, on to the results…

Sent Immediately to Safety (in Order of Announcement)
Hollie Cavanagh
Skylar Laine
Elise Testone
Jessica Sanchez
Joshua Ledet
Colton Dixon (Seacreast faked-out, again!)
Phillip Phillips

Bottom Three
DeAndre Brackensick
Erika Van Pelt (loved how she grabbed some maracas from Elise: “I’m bringing the party with me!”)
Heejun Han

First One Sent Back to Safety
DeAndre Brackensick

Lowest Vote Getter
Erika Van Pelt

Last-Chance Performance
Erika inexplicably chose “I Believe in You and Me” (as opposed to “What About Love” or something with a rocky edge), delivering it with husky bombast, but hitting a couple of rough patches along the way (maybe due to tears?). It wasn’t enough to score a Judges’ Save from Randy, J.Lo, and Steven (those are only for guys, as you all know), and thus it’s another woman down, another woman down, another woman — who brought some emotional maturity and sexy-ass hair to the table — who bites the dust.

Now it’s your turn. Did the right person go home? Don’t you think with a few more weeks under her belt, Erika could’ve grown into a serious contender? (Heck, even Jimmy said she should be at the top of the pack this week!) How the heck did Heejun survive? And what did you think of sleepy/cool Lana del Ray?

p.s. Sorry, Erika, if Idology led you wrong with that whole “dye your hair black” business! We really thought it might work.

Comments (390)

• I was afraid it was going to be erika. I was really hoping she didn’t go just yet.

Comment by ana – March 22, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was never going to win the whole thing. She was in Bottom 3 every week, and wasn’t initally chosen to be in Top 10. So the audience didn’t connect, but Heejun deserved to go home. He made a mockery of the whole thing, and didn’t sound good at all. There needs to be a limit to the voting, by phone and computer. Unlimited voting and big numbers might sound great to reveal, but it is ruining this show. The girls have to work twice as hard to stay in this competition and it’s just not fair.

Comment by idolbethejudge.blogspot.com – March 22, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree — heejun DID NOT Make a mockery of the song — have you listened to the original? It’s a fast song. The one who should have gone home is deandre. Erika has been in the bottom 3 and she almost left last week and she was a wild card pick — so the judges were not gonna “waste” a save on her. It’s so sad because I honestly feel, perhaps because the judges keep saying it, that we never really got to see her be simply amazing — and that would be amazing because in my book she is one of the best singers on the show — certainly better than Elise and deandre. Oh well. I hope that she can find a career.

Comment by jake – March 22, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Eh, Heejun’s song was flat out awful. It was bad…. just bad, and he should have been the one to go.

Comment by Tarc – March 22, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This is supposed to be a singing contest and not a popularity contest! It should not be girls versus guys: but talent against talent. The judges should provide more realistic critiques and stop trying to be so politically correct. Bring back Simon, at least he said what everybody else was really thinking! I for one have lost all faith in the show and will not be watching it anymore.

Comment by Rebecca – March 22, 2012 10:11 PM PDT
          • If you need Simon to tell you how to vote, then you have no business watching AI because obviously you have no mind of your own. I agree with Jake. I didn’t think Heejun’s performance was the worst of the night. To tell you the truth, I thought it was better than what he has done the past 3 weeks! And this is coming from someone with a mind of his own. I thought DeAndre should’ve gone home. Either him or elevator music Hollie who has been pitchy the past two weeks.

Comment by Lee – March 22, 2012 11:09 PM PDT
          • Hee Jun is HILARIOUS! Super entertaining guy. He is being backed by Vote For The Worst.

Comment by Shannon Migraine – March 23, 2012 12:35 AM PDT
        • I’m too embarrassed by Heejun’s performance and I’m an Asian, okay? It’s just he made such a fool of himself. Oh well, Erika has been struggling with Bottom Three for weeks, it’s something that’s not too shocking. Better out when you have a good performance, right?

Comment by Leo – March 22, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I felt the same way. I was embarrassed for him. If I were his mother, I would have died a little bit inside watching him humiliate himself, Mocking others is the opposite of nice, It’s called mean!

Comment by wounds1 – March 23, 2012 05:07 AM PDT
          • I do not feel the same way. I thought it was good performance, very entertaining, and I don’t undertstand why people say he sang badly. He sang very well! He wasn’t trying to mock anything, he was really trying to put on a good performance.

Comment by Betsy – March 23, 2012 08:05 AM PDT
          • He was terrible and embarrassing and he knew it! He does not see himself as a winner! There are people out there that think Idol is a joke and love to back the loser (aka Sanjia). He’ll hang in there a few more weeks but it was a big mistake to keep him, he could have “opened” the tour much better than any of the others.

Comment by shelbybb – March 23, 2012 01:08 PM PDT
          • Okay, if you’re an Asian and you’re embarrassed by Heejun’s performance, WHO the heck is voting for him?? I was about to rant that he obviously is getting the MASS Asian vote – and I’m sorry for speculating – but then I saw your post. Are you the anomaly or the norm? I mean, it truly was a pathetic moment when Heejun was sent to safety and Erika was announced ‘home.’ Which means someday “in-mass” is voting for him. Who is that ‘mass?’

Comment by MamaLis – March 23, 2012 01:31 PM PDT
          • To Wounds1 — who exactly was he mocking??? Gimme a break. He had a cute intro and then sang the song. Where is the mocking? Some people on this website are ridiculous.

Comment by macy – March 23, 2012 02:43 PM PDT
          • I don’t understand why so many people say heejun sang bad?I only watch idol this season because him,as season 8 I watch idol because adam,last two season I didn’t watch.it’s very simple when you watch tv found somebody interesting,then you keep follow it.if you don’t see something interesting,you switch channel.just ask yourself will you watch TV if adele sing celine dion song,will you so exciting to know adele can pull out celine dion notes or not?everytime I wonder how does this dude can pull out his song and if he did decent,I vote,it is just that simple.he is original,unique and uncertain.that’s entertaining business.KEEP Interesting.

Comment by Matt – March 23, 2012 11:54 PM PDT
          • i’m also an Asian but i think the recent performance of Heejun is far far better than his past performances….. so I think let’s give a chance to prove himself that he really deserves to be part of the top 9. To be fair with the other top 9 American idols, Heejun’s performance is still not at par with the other Asian Jessica Sanchez who is performing really well. more power to Heejun and jessica…. God bless to all of you….

Comment by roger richard ang – March 24, 2012 10:21 PM PDT
        • i guarantee you erika will get a record deal and become quite respected in the music business. her gorgeous vocal tone and sophisticated phrasing have already found a home in many music lovers’ hearts. she might not go on to sell as many records as rhianna or beyonce but she will always have a loyal following. i’m sad that america didn’t appreciate her talent and didn’t allow us to hear beautiful, sultry voice for at least a few more weeks.

Comment by scrutinizer – March 23, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She bored the crap outta me. She came off as safe and old and tired. She’s “good” yes, but this year you need more than just raw singing ability. She sang more in the “Sing for your life” than she had all season. She held back up til then and paid for it. The audience doesn’t like being held out on.

Comment by Miss Otis Regrets... – March 23, 2012 03:21 PM PDT
          • Dear scrutinizer: To “guarantee that Erika will receive a record deal and become quite respected in the music” industry is quite a statement. While I hope that you are right, I’m not sure how you can you back that up. Please let us know what you know.

Comment by My Alter Ego – March 24, 2012 03:28 PM PDT
      • The judges should have saved Erika — she deserved to be on the show longer. The judges, if they had any integrity, would not have been nitpicking her beautiful performance last night, and would have flatly stated that she deserved to be on Idol longer. All of them admired her singing, but they seemed to have decided they there was only room enough this year for one older jazzy woman, so they gave all the praise and pimp spots to Elise, their chosen one.

I think there will be a huge backlash against Heejun from now on. I really like Heejun, but he didn’t need any extra weeks on this show to find his audience and to maximize his career prospects. If anything, his comedic talents will only start wearing thin the longer people see him, and his singing is not going to improve without a lot more training (which he won’t get while appearing on Idol). But Erika could have really used the extra weeks on air to better grow a fan base for a future career.

Comment by BostonBuddha – March 22, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Erika wasn’t jazzy at all.

Comment by Miss Otis Regrets... – March 23, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT A Limit on the voting is necessary if the show is going to keep its ratings. Lots of people like to watch the show but don’t want to and don’t have time to vote for two hours. Sad about Erika

Lana del Ray??? Not good… better than she was on “SNL” in January but she sounds like she has stuff in her mouth,and is just boring. If she is gonna just stand there she needs to draw you in.. Good thing she writes .great songs and sounds great recorded (great producers)..Wish she was half that good live.

Haley Reinhart, sounded great. Not sure about the song but I probably just need to hear it a few times It might have been the sound – It was difficult really to hear both her and Lana.

Comment by sandy – March 22, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I couldn’t agree more about limiting the voting! They should do like Dancing With Stars and limit each customer to, say, 12 votes a week each from their landline, mobile device or online.

Comment by nchamlong2 – March 23, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think Erika had a legitimate shot at winning, just because she’s never impressed enough to separate herself from the others and has always been overshadowed by people like Elise and Jessica, though I also felt like she could’ve improved in weeks to come. However, there’s no question that she shouldn’t have gone home.

The elimination should’ve been either Deandre or Heejun. Now, about Heejun, I didn’t think his lighthearted approach was “mockery” of the system or whatever, but he simply didn’t sound good at all. It honestly irritates me that neither of them got out; at least they were in the bottom three, which is a good sign, I guess.

Comment by Angela – March 23, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haley’s song — was just okay for me. Mainly because I couldn’t understand a single word she was singing. She was mumbling or something. Not her best, and I am a fan. She looked gorgeous and the sets and all that were good.

Erika — Waaahhh! I am sad.
      Deandre — Never been a fan. Yes, he’s talented, but I agree with Jimmy — too much bouncing and tossing his hair back. He should always wear his hair back or cut it. He’s not milli vanelli.
      Heejun — I thought he was funny. And bold. It wasn’t the greatest performance, but it wasn’t bad. I’m not sure how much future he has by admitting he doesn’t care about winning and kinda acting a bit defeated on the results show. He really disappointed me by his comments and the fact I’m not sure what kind of artist he’s trying to be. He has a lot of talent, but I guess he really doesn’t want a singing career. ?

This is really the tightest group of contestants ever. All so ready to go.

Comment by dianaprince – March 23, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m in mourning tonight. So, so sad right now. :-(

Comment by Elena – March 22, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • VoteForTheWorst claims another victory tonight… Heejun was their pick…

Comment by Jess – March 22, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • VFTW claims no victory, and its insulting that anyone would confuse a clear fan base which Heejun has had from day one with a website which had failed to have any effect on the contest for some years.

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ben, get insulted all you want. I said VFTW *claims* victory, I didn’t say they single-handedly earned it or that they were the sole reason Heejun was safe. It merely means that this is what they claim, and that is who they picked. They don’t generally pick “good” contestants this early in the competition. btw, reading comprehension is your friend…

Comment by Jess – March 22, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They don’t pick anything. It’s a public vote. Anyone can go in there and vote for whoever they want, and frequently its someone with a rabid fan base that wins. As for ‘claim’, it has many meanings, and the fact you bothered to post that comment on this site at all implies you meant a different one to your explanation.

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ben, VFTW “picks” the “worst” contestant on their website, splashing his image on their homepage, and then they encourage everyone to vote for that “worst” contestant that they picked. All I said was that they claimed victory (which they did!), and that they picked Heejun as their VFTW pick (which they did!), and added that they generally don’t pick “good” contestants this early in the competition (which is also TRUE!). I’m sorry if facts and simple reading comprehension bother you so much, but you should learn to accept them. Your feverishly defensive comments when it comes to Heejun are quite amusing. Keep it up!

Comment by Jess – March 22, 2012 07:36 PM PDT
          • I think its funny that you attack my reading comprehension (twice) but assume I was insulted by you, not VFTW. It’s them that are insulting by claiming victory. But your ‘facts’ are anything but, except for the fact vftw claimed victory – and I just gave you a genuine fact, that vftw choose their contestants by public vote, there is no picking. If Jessica or Phil was their public vote, its their choice, its nothing to do with bad or good, but much more frequently to do with fan bases.

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 08:34 PM PDT
    • VoteForTheWorst has no impact on Idol. That’s been shown season after season. They’ve picked so many “worsts” who have gone out the very next week. They always get excited when they happen to pick someone who is popular enough to stay around for awhile, but they really shouldn’t brag since it’s all to do with Heejun’s legions of fans and not the three people who vote just because VFTW says to.

Comment by musica1 – March 22, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Very true. VFTW no longer has any credibility, not since Sanjaya. However, I have to admit they do often have some viciously funny recaps.

Comment by TheBeach – March 22, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They do a great twitter commentary during the show too, not going to lie.

Comment by TB – March 24, 2012 02:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I said it last week, and I’ll say it here again; the women will once again be picked off one by one, allowing several much less talented guys to continue on. Never again will a female win American Idol until/unless the voting system is changed. Any word on next week’s theme?

Comment by C – March 22, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • C, keep saying it. Good luck to you.

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe the reason the women keep getting picked off one-by-one every year is because they’re boring as hell. Last year it was Pia, This, Lauren. This year it’s Hollie, Erika, Elise. Some viewers thought the women were stronger this year than the men. I never thought that was the case because most of the women all sounded the same. (One of them even had to change the color of her hair to stand out.) The men, on the other hand, are mostly distinctive and unique. Who cares who has the biggest range. It’s creativity and originality that will sell records. I’d take a creative and original band like The Beatles over a dime-a-dozen Celine Dion any day of the week.

Comment by Lee – March 22, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If they are boring, it is because the producers choose them that way. The producers set the women up to fail and they do it repeatedly. There is no excuse for it.

Comment by Yo' – March 23, 2012 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Get real, dude. While the men are unique, it doesn’t change the fact that they’re also vaguely competent versions of some idols past. At least the women do deliver.

Comment by Cup of Joe – March 23, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I thought that last year’s winner, Scotty, was a nice kid, but should’ve had Boring as a middle name. He could sing 1 type of music, with no originality. All of his songs sounded alike. If women are being voted out because they were boring, then what happened last year?

Comment by nodak – March 25, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • C, don’t be such a tool, ok?

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – March 22, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think you’re right. I think Jessica and Hollie and hopefully Elise have real staying power. Whether they can beat Phil and Colton will have more to do with whether or not they can consistently bring their A game week after week. Elise and Jessica floundered last week and Hollie did this week. If they can become more consistent, any one of them could win it. Phil and Colton are consistently good week after week, so we’ll see. And as far as who went off this week, Erica never developed a fan base. Heejun has an interesting voice AND is entertaining. Erica just had an interesting voice.

Comment by musica1 – March 22, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. There’s no reason a girl has to go home next week. There were two guys in the bottom three tonight. Even though Erica left, the fact that America was willing to vote dudes into that position was encouraging. If Heejun keeps on his same trajectory (that of a comet screaming toward a crash landing), I’ll hold out hope that he goes home this time next week.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hollie has floundered every week, she picks big songs but doesn’t have the voice to cope. Not one of her performances has been up to standard, much much weaker than Erika.

Comment by ejones – March 22, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What the heck are you smoking, guy? She’s just had one off-week (this week). Proof: Go to WhatNotToSing.com.

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – March 22, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Hollie was pitchy this week AND last week. And she has yet to get a standing ovation unlike Jessica who has already had 3!!!

Comment by Lee – March 22, 2012 11:24 PM PDT
          • Lee, we all know that what your telling is a bunch of hogwash. Just because she hasn’t got a standing O yet doesn’t mean her performances weren’t solid in some way. Quit being such a doody-head wanker.

Comment by Cup of Joe – March 23, 2012 06:38 AM PDT
    • I disagree. Right now Jessica, Skylar and Hollie are still enjoying huge voting blocks. Along with them are Colton and Phillip. Heejun and Deandre were in the bottom 3 again. They have both been there before. Last year Lauren Alaina commanded a lot of voting, getting her in second place ahead of Haley. But truly, Scotty was more personable and that made the difference. I am already hearing from quite a few people that they truly admire the incredible pipes that Hollie and Jessica have but are starting to find them tiresome. Jessica needs to stop oversinging and Hollie needs to change it up. Every week is the same with her. Skylar sometime shrieks. I am not a fan of Phillip but he brings it. Colton is improving week by week. If the girls don’t start showing some growth, they will be voted out. But not because they are girls. Elyse is the one exception. She is amazing and should go all the way but her maturity and smoky tones don’t play well with younger voters. I will be sorry to see her go.

Comment by chistosa – March 22, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jessica is the best. with all the whistle thing she did.. that’s something that the other girls can’t do. Her style is different.

Comment by hp – March 22, 2012 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yah, unfortunately, there are no women on a nice upward trajectory like Phillip and Colton. Elise maybe, but I don’t see her winning this whole thing anyway. I think that MZ and JI are right about Skylar, she needs to start going somewhere, but I’m really afraid Hollie and Jessica might have peaked too early.

Comment by Miss Otis Regrets... – March 23, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Songs from the contestant’s idols

Comment by RJ – March 23, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please, THREE girls havent even been in the bottom 3 yet and two males were in the bottom 3. So its not COMPLETELY biased towards males.

Comment by John – March 23, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It appears that you’ve forgotten last week, when Shannon, Erica and Elyse were the Bottom 3.

Comment by Diane Wentz – March 24, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was sad to see Erika go, but I really like Heejun. I feel like he’s got a lot of potential if he starts taking the competition seriously, so I’m happy that we’ll see him again next week.

Comment by Gus – March 22, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what makes you think he’s going to start taking the competition seriously?? He knows that he’s not that great when he tries to be, and he doesn’t feel like a star, and he just hung his head in shame as Erika sang her behind off. He also said he’d be even crazier if he gets another week. Are you paying attention, Gus?

Comment by Jess – March 22, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know, I really just want to give him one more chance. I really think he’ll come around next week – being on the b3 and receiving the kind of feedback he received must really get to you, no matter what he says in front of the camera.

I don’t know, it’s probably wishful thinking because I really liked him during the Hollywood rounds. I know he’s not going to win this thing, but I still find his performances entertaining.

Comment by Gus – March 22, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Really now? His ballad performances were quite dreary, mind you. (That’s a Pot-Kettle-Black statement for those who thought the same with resident divas Jess and Hollie.)

And his performance last night? The less said, the better.

That being said, he’ll most likely finish the same place where popular yet lackadaisical singers end up (7th).

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – March 22, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, Heejun has zero potential. You are retarded, and deserve to have your phone taken away. Along with all of the rest of you that think this.

Comment by Cavaknights (@Cavaknights) – March 22, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks for the insult. Heejun has plenty of potential, one of the most gorgeous tones I’ve ever heard ont he idol stage. You deserve to go join an extreme right wing political party, where they think that other peoples opinions are invalid because they are different.

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Plenty of potential, alright… wasted on snoozy ballads and that whatchamacallit he did last ngiht.

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – March 22, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Except Heejun, has no vocal range and has never taken the contest as something that he wants for a serious singer , he has been a joke all season and got through because people confused his being an ass as being cute

Comment by Joseph Angelo – March 22, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Or because people like me don’t give a stuff about whether he is an ass or cute (as I don’t with ANY of them) and just vote for the people whose studios I want to download. That is Heejun.

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 06:43 PM PDT
        • the extreme (and even non-extreme) left wing political party does the same thing, so I’m not sure what point you thought you were making with that or why you even brought politics into this, but it’s not going to make Heejun any more talented or suddenly have non-pitchy performances. It’s not all about tone, it’s about putting together a genuine performance that’s in tune and Heejun’s not doing that.

Comment by alyssa – March 22, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Guess you interpreted me wrong. If I tell someone to go buy a tulip I’m not excluding them from buying a rose. My point wasn’t political, it was about the ridiculousness of people not accepting that other people can have other opinions. And to me, it is all about he tone, and particularly about the studios (all of which I think Heejun does great), and very little about the performance given on the night. Plus, frankly (last night aside) I think Heejun puts in very genuine performances and isn’t alone in mising notes from time to time.

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 06:49 PM PDT
        • One of “the most gorgeous tones you’ve ever heard on the Idol stage”? How long were you cryogenically frozen Ben?

Comment by Joe – March 22, 2012 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ohmygod, thank you for saying that.

Comment by MamaLis – March 23, 2012 01:43 PM PDT
      • Did you just call someone “retarded?” Really? Do people still do that? Wow. Unbelievable.

Comment by annoulamarmar – March 22, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You know, I think Hee Jun is playing the only way a Korean male (possibly any Asian male) can on this show. We ignore race when talking about Idol, we come down on anyone who dares mention race plays a part in American Idol voting. But its a reality. America will vote for a gorgeous Asian woman, no problem. But Asian guys seem to have no business in rock’n’roll. As most record charting can attest to (are there any successful Asian male singers…even Filipinos ..?) Anyway, what Hee Jun has done is create a personality for himself, a cute adorable personality. A somewhat subversive (in a darling sorta way) personality that makes his singing talents superfluous. And makes him standout and appealing to middle America. He’s smart enough to know its how to stay in the game. Unfortunately this kind of grandstanding has a very short shelf life, people are tiring of him already as their affections move toward more talented (singing) contestants. I would also bet if his singing actually WAS better he’d be exactly at the same point in the competition.

Comment by Owen – March 22, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well, have you heard of Bruno Mars? He’s half Filipino. (The other half is Puerto Rican.) I would consider him an Asian man.

Comment by Lee – March 23, 2012 12:15 AM PDT
          • Arnel Pineda is the lead singer for the band Journey – and he’s Filipino and awesome!

Comment by Chris – March 23, 2012 04:39 AM PDT
      • you’re hilarious! Now go take your meds, and I mean the whole bottle.

Comment by Deathnote – March 22, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, was that a travesty or what?! Hee Jun not only did horrendous karaoke last night, live…but he basically admitted that he doesn’t even care about winning! EVP sounded amazing and she gets booted? Utterly pathetic.

Comment by Ellen – March 22, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He didn’t say he didn’t care about winning. He said he wasn’t a star! He was himself…You hear what you want to hear if you are looking to criticize.

Comment by Alice Wilson – March 22, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He said he was demoralized by the bad comments he got the week before. If you remember from day 1 he’s had low self esteem. Every step along the way he didn’t think he was good enough even when he was singing brilliantly. I don’t think Heejun will make it very far, but neither would Erica have if she had made it through tonight. She was a good singer but boring in a season when there are so many good singers who are not boring.

Comment by musica1 – March 22, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I liked Erica, but I do agree with this. She probably wasn’t long for this competition, especially if she kept choosing power ballads, but at the least I would have liked Heejun to go home tonight and for Erica to last one more week.
        Here’s a question: what, if anything, are the judges going to do with that save of theirs? If they weren’t going to use it on Erica this week, I can’t think of anyone they should use it on. Accepting maybe Heejun, everyone is so good that saving one person and putting everyone else in danger of a double elimination the following week seems unfair. Are they allowed to not use it?

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think the judges have to use the save but they’ll probably use it if someone gives a great performance and then winds up with the lowest number of votes.

Comment by Davey – March 22, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The good thing is that I’m pretty sure there won’t be a double elimination after they use the save, since there was essentially a double elimination last week (with Jermaine being eliminated)–if they do another double elimination it would totally screw with the finale date.

Comment by Kristin – March 22, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oh, yeah. All the more reason they should have used it tonight! Aw, some good could have come out of Jermaine’s presence on the show and the judges wasted out.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 07:05 PM PDT
          • I agree with this Kristin. Having said that, I see little point in saving someone who is consistently in the bottom 3 – it would have wasted something that could be much more effective later.

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 07:14 PM PDT
        • I believe they will use the save only if or when Uncle Nigel tells them to.

Comment by TheBeach – March 22, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oh, I completely believe that an edict has been issued over in Idol Oz. That “save” will NOT be used until Jessica and (probably Joshua) are firmly in the Top Three. Voting “accidents” happen based on that screwed up system, and we all know who Idol wants in their finale.

Comment by MamaLis – March 23, 2012 01:50 PM PDT
        • They’re saving it just in case Phillip or Joshua get the lowest votes. It’s obvioius. They will not save Elise with it. They will not save Hollie. I don’t even know if they’d save Skylar.

Comment by NedPepper – March 22, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Though I think Erika deserved to stay longer, I can’t blame the judges for not using the save this week. There are still four weeks left when it might come in handy, and I think they’re being more cautious after last year, when they used it early on with Casey and had to suffer the backlash when Pia got out later. Obviously, it depends on how the next few weeks go, but I could see Joshua and Elise as two people that could possibly encounter some danger and merit a save.

Comment by Angela – March 23, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They will use it on someone they think can make it to the finals I’m sure, if they use it at all.

I’m sure they’d actually like to not have to use it every damn season.

Comment by Miss Otis Regrets... – March 23, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Heejun cares very very deeply about doing his best. He is clearly an extreme introvert who uses humour to shield himself, and who takes criticism seriously. Don’t believe me? Listen to the diction in his most recent studio compared to his first and see how far he has come.

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes Ben…you’re the only one who understands the gentle soul of Mr. Heejun Han. The people who actually make a living in the entertainment business who he has been surrounded by for months and turned on him this week for acting like a fool on stage know absolutely nothing. Thank goodness he’ll have you to buy his self financed CD filled with treacly poorly sung ballads and “I wanna dance”. I can assure you, no one else will.

Comment by Joe – March 23, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Heejun has poor self esteem and was complete demoralized by the judges comments the week before. This humor thing is his coping mechanism. I actually didn’t think he was making fun of the competition with his performance Wednesday night – it was his attempt to sing something uptempo and different. Only his attempts to do something “fun” came off as “fun-ny.” Get it? Of course, now that America is sour towards him, he will soon leave, but I don’t think he’s been given a fair shake. I like his voice, but his poor enunciation and lack of breath control will do him in anyway.

Comment by DZ – March 23, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly. He is who he is. As someone with a similar personality, I can tell you, if he’s like me, it’s not an act, nor is he flippant or uncaring. He cares a lot, more than you might think. He is probably overanalysing everything he’s done and said and beating himself up for doing and saying the wrong thing. I feel for the kid.

Comment by Miss Otis Regrets... – March 23, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am completely disappointed in how America votes.

Comment by vcuvball – March 22, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Idol’s voting is so skewed since they allowed multiple text votes. The VAST majority of votes (and I mean millions) that come in by either phone or text are from teenage girls. It is now and always will be a popularity contest geared toward that demographic. Hence the last 4 winners have been WGWG. It will truly take a tremendous effort for a girl to win – I think Jessica is the only one this year who could do it. Otherwise, the winner this year will be Colton (who I do think is very good).

Comment by Christine Meyers – March 23, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erika didn’t deserve any more weeks. She was too generic. I don’t think there was anything she could have done to make herself stand out (and no, Michael, I don’t blame your styling tips. Too little, too late). I would think it is obvious how Heejun survived – his performance last night was a virtual plea for votes and frankly a lock for making sure he didn’t go home. But I hope he returns to ballads next week.

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m definitely upset about Erika going home. I thought her performance last night was one of the best, but I’m not surprised since the Idol voters just don’t seem to like awesome ladies very much.
    On another note, Haley killed it! So happy to see her back on the stage.

Comment by s – March 22, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Erika was certainly better ANY night than that Lana Del Rey person.

Comment by TheBeach – March 22, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen to that. Thank god I was watching on DVR and could fast-forward though that debacle.

Comment by BobN – March 23, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who will go next week…Hollie or Skylar?

Comment by C – March 22, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is gonna epically suck donkey balls.

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – March 22, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The next boot is guaranteed to be a guy.

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope. I think Elise goes home next week. DeAndre has the cute factor and Heejun the freak factor. Normally, the freak factor (Sanjaya, Tim) outlasts actual talent.

Comment by Nedsdag – March 22, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Elisse has to pull out another huge performance to stay out of the Bottom 3. Some of Erika’s voters may move her way however.

Comment by Owen – March 22, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The great thing about Elise is that I wouldn’t be surprised if she did pull out another awesome performance. If Deandre is getting by on being good-looking (allegedly) and Heejun is getting by on being funny (allegedly), Elise can get by on singing really well.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 08:47 PM PDT
        • Sorry, but Tim Urban was not a freak.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 22, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • True, and if he had worn that bicep t-shirt earlier he would have probably made it a few weeks longer.

Comment by TheBeach – March 22, 2012 08:53 PM PDT
          • True. None of these people are freaks. Tim Urban just couldn’t sing. He laid a giant turd onstage every week.

Comment by Tim – March 22, 2012 09:40 PM PDT
          • Well, granted, the bar was a bit low during Season 9 but Tim Urban consistently sang in key!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 22, 2012 10:04 PM PDT
          • D.E.T. — how are you defining “a freak”?

Comment by Diane Wentz – March 23, 2012 08:39 AM PDT
      • I dunno about guaranteed, but there’s really no reason to assume that it has to be a girl. There WERE two guys in the bottom three tonight. I know Deandre could probably be mistaken for a girl from a distance but we know otherwise. Colton and Phillip seem kind of elimination-proof at this point, but so do Jessica and, for some reason, Hollie. I could see Deandre or, preferably, Heejun going home quite easily next week.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I guarantee it, my personal guarantee ;) skylar or elise could, hollie can’t.

Comment by Ben – March 22, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You get a Made Me Laugh! :)

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 23, 2012 06:34 AM PDT
    • I think Heejun is gone next week.

Comment by Angela – March 23, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They would be saved.

Comment by John – March 23, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • haha neither have been in the bottom 3 and i think have great fan bases. heejun, deandre, elise (sad to say it) and i think joshua are in danger next week

Comment by Ryan (@GottaVote4DREW) – March 23, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Erika would’ve been a contender, but I do think she could’ve lasted a few more weeks, and she CERTAINLY deserved to stay over Heejun. But maybe this will help Elise win over more voters? A silver lining if there ever was one. But yeah, bummed about this elimination, but it was coming sooner or later.

Curious as to what the theme of next week will be.

Comment by Tom – March 22, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haley <3

Comment by Rick – March 22, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • <3

Comment by Terry – March 22, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • <3 <3 <3

Now that Miss Reinhart has performed on the show, the only reason to watch S11 is Elise. If she gets booted before Heejun or Deandre or Phillip my only connection to this season will be Idoloonies, er Idology!!

Comment by JMT – March 22, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The right person did NOT go home. And, while I know you were joking and basking in your Haley-love, I hardly think that’s a big old consolation prize to someone who did take this competition VERY seriously and was actually extremely talented.
    I do blame the judges for this. They never, in all the live shows, gave her a flat out good review without throwing in some niggling little judgement of more, more, less, more. And, I have absolutely no respect for any of them. However, they do embody what the music industry is all about. In this list of priorities, actual singing in way down on the list.
    And, really, Michael…the girl is trying to sing through having her dream snatched away and you call her on being (every so slightly) pitchy? Are you auditioning for the next AI judge?
    Oh, and Lana del Ray??? Yikes.

Comment by Gina – March 22, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. Shame on you Michael. Where did this come from in your review tonight?!

Comment by JoJo – March 22, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Erika was truly taking it seriously she would have not held back week after week. I don’t believe she was trying to win.

Comment by Miss Otis Regrets... – March 23, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could this happen???!?!!??!? come on… Heejun and Deandre safe? Erika leaving? It is so annoying. In all fairness Erika hadn’t reached the peak where we know she could get… true. But honestly, Heejun has shown even less… and Deandre is fading away… pfuu… i am sorry the audience just focus on teens and boys and forgets about singing and performing really

Comment by Larali – March 22, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Erika was not that good. She was good, but not better than any other singer left in the competition. She was actually bad last week and was just boring this week, especially when compared to the others.

Comment by musica1 – March 22, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not that upset about Erika leaving. I liked her, but she didn’t really deliver. She kept saying that she was a rocker, but she didn’t really have a rocker voice and she had a tendency to over-sing.

Comment by zaza – March 22, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She is certainly better than Hollie, if we are comparing girls with big voices.

Comment by Owen – March 22, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry but I’ve gotta disagree that she was not better than any of the remaining singers. Not better that Heejun? Not better than Deandre? And last night she was better than several others also.

Comment by TheBeach – March 22, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Erika did NOT deserve to go home! Although, why did she not rock it out if she kept claiming to be one; unfortunately Skylar rocks more than she ever did. Erika is better than at least a few that are left! Hopefully though some of her votes will now go to Elise who deserves to be top 3

Haley’s song sucked and I loved her last year but if this is what her albumn will be like, I’m not buying it!

Comment by Karrie – March 23, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love how supporters of Hollie, Jessica and Colton call Erika “generic.” That’s classic.

Comment by Justin – March 23, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still holding out hope for Deandre. He could come back; it all depends on next week. I’d be curious to know how close the votes were for Erika and Heejun, cause if they were close together I’d be willing to bet that flipping the order of their performances (Heejun goes second and Erika goes eighth) wouldn’t resulted in Erika staying.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Deandre needs real help in choosing songs. He doesn’t seem to know his own capabilities and/or limits. Though I’m pretty sure the poor boy is about as dumb as a box of rocks…

Comment by Owen – March 22, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The placement of the singers could definitely have made a difference in the results. I’m afraid I’m not nearly as high on Deandre as you are, though.

Comment by TheBeach – March 22, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This Woman’s Work and Master Blaster are two of my favorite performances from this Season. The kid’s definitely talented; he just hasn’t always stepped up. I’ve seen him be amazing. He just needs to tap into whatever made those performances work.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I completely agree with you about Deandre. He has been wildly inconsistent all season, but it’s not because he isn’t talented. It’s because he needs very specific songs to showcase his voice, and there’s nothing wrong with that. A lot of fantastic artists couldn’t succeed if they weren’t singing songs that were specifically for them. The problem is though, I don’t know if he quite recognizes that. He’s very very young after all. He might not have gotten to the point where he can recognize that he’s not capable of doing everything he wants to do. And his age might be tripping him up in the decision making process as well, because he seems like he’s having trouble filtering the advice he’s getting with his own instincts. That said, I’m rooting for him. And I hope he sticks around for a couple more weeks, if only because I think he has more potential for growth than any other competitor, except maybe Hollie, and growth always makes for thrilling television.

Comment by TB – March 24, 2012 02:46 AM PDT
      • I agree with you about Deandre. I’m so sick of the teeny bopper comments. When he is on, he has a beautiful heartfelt voice. His range is amazing. I hope he has a “moment” next week. If not, I know he will have a career when he leaves. Probably a better one than most contestants who make it to #1.

Comment by junebug – March 23, 2012 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My comment was in reply to Miscellaneopolan.

Comment by junebug – March 23, 2012 03:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought 1: Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!
    Thought 2: Deandre got off easy. He better start living up to his potential next week to take the sting out of losing Erica.
    Thought 3: I was happy to see Haley and I really like her new song, but she looked like a windswept circus clown and the staging was ridiculous. She should have taken a cue from Lana Del Rey (words very rarely written) and done a stripped-down version.
    Thought 4: Heejun said he’ll do something crazy next week. I can only hope it’ll be as ludicrous as what he did last week and that he’ll leave.
    Final Thought: That hug between Elise and Erika at the end was sweet. Latter-decade 20-somethings unite!

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wonder if in the history of time, anyone has ever used the phrase “windswept circus clown.” I am still cracking up. I love Haley, but that is so accurate I can’t stand it!! Well done.

Comment by Mel – March 22, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks! I admit that I was very happy after coming up with that description.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Is it weird that I totally agree with you about how completely over the top ridiculous Haley’s performance was, but loved it for the exact same reasons you didn’t like it? I just wanted to diva snap and head roll the whole time lol it’s been a long time since something so purely fun happened on the Idol stage.

Comment by TB – March 24, 2012 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, Haley is from the windy city like yourself, get use to seeing it . She’s a high hair kind of woman. Show us what you’ve learned in college. Post your talents on youtube and let us judge you.

Comment by Earthling – March 22, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wait, how did you know I’m from Chicago? Is my profile linkable or something?

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh well, I’ll agree with you guys that Haley’s hair was a bit, uh…much. But otherwise I thought she looked hot.

Comment by TheBeach – March 22, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you regarding Haley… I found it kind of lounge-y actually.

Comment by Shana – March 22, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had to mute the tv during Haley’s song. did not like her when she was on AI and still can’t take her voice.

Comment by deb – March 23, 2012 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It must suck to be so jealous of Haley…. sad..

Comment by Tanya – March 23, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought Haley sounded great, but agreed that the hair didn’t work. I also don’t care for the song; it was probably an unrealistic expectation given that Idol is supposed to be a pop show dedicated to churning out radio-friendly hits, but I was hoping that she’d go full-out with a bluesy, jazzy thing.

Comment by Angela – March 23, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know who wrote the song, but they clearly sampled Rod Stewart’s “Tonight’s the Night” I didn’t like the song and am not a Haley fan, but that song didn’t do her any favors.

Comment by Templar – March 23, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Awww, I loved her big curly Haley hair. It made her her.

Comment by Miss Otis Regrets... – March 23, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People it is a travesty EVP is going but let’s not loose hope just yet. Keep mind she was the only girl in the bottom 3 this week where as last week it was an all female bottom 3. With that said, the girls are going to need to bring it next. Hejunn should go home next week but I’m no sure he will, and DeAndre might redeem himself after his trip to the bottom. But who knows the save might get invoked for the first time on a female contestant. By the way does anyone know what the theme will be next week?

Comment by JVC – March 22, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had a feeling they weren’t going to use the save no matter which of that Bottom 3 came in last. I have a feeling they’re saving it for Colton, Hollie, Jessica, Joshua, Phillip, and/or Skylar.
    Yeah, I’ll miss Erika, and I wonder how much longer Heejun can stick around (he’s the new Vote for the Worst contestant), but there’s always the iTunes recordings. And maybe I’ll catch the tour. Plus, we still have Hollie. And Colton. And Joshua. And Skylar. And Phillip. And Jessica. And Elise. (Rightful Top 7! Please?)

Comment by IdolFlash-7-9-35 – March 22, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erika should not have left, but I am THRILLED that DeAndre is still in the running. I was so worried for him. Haley’s performance tonight felt like such a victory after all the drama last year. That reaction from the crowd was like they were welcoming their queen home. (But that cage was weird, right?) Whatever. She’s the true season 10 winner for me!

Comment by Brigette – March 22, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree about Haley being the real winner of last year.

Comment by Tarc – March 22, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You may want to compare her bank statement to Scotty’s. LOL

Comment by Templar – March 23, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I just did. Scotty McCreery net worth: 1.2 million. Haley Reinhart net worth: 1.5 million. He might have sold a ton of albums but he’s still stuck with the crappy winner’s deal.

Comment by abfidy – March 24, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • B.S.

Comment by Templar – March 24, 2012 08:13 AM PDT
          • I mean, I don’t necessarily think it’s fair considering how much he’s sold. But then you also have to think that Scotty was under 18 when he got signed, so they were probably able to swing him for less, and Brad Paisley probably got away with paying him in nickels to open on tour. Plus Haley’s iTunes recordings were selling like gangbusters all through the season, which probably gave her a bit of a buzz around the business, and she was free to negotiate at her own pace and on her own terms with the label. Plus with the way that Interscope’s arrangement with Idol works, I’m wondering if she had interest from other labels that then pushed her cache up, forcing Interscope to offer her better benefits and bonuses than the ones offered to the winner. Who knows? But yeah, that’s the report according to Google. I wish the music industry weren’t so tightlipped about their business dealings, but I have to say I’m fascinated all the same.

Comment by abfidy – March 24, 2012 10:56 PM PDT
          • Celebrity has Scotty at 2 mill+.

Comment by Templar – March 25, 2012 06:12 PM PDT
          • That’s a projected value for 2012. If you look at his estimated earnings from last year, he’s at 1.2 million. There are no accurate projected values for Haley because there’s no guarantee at what her album will do or who she’ll tour with, so I’m hesitant to use Scotty’s projected earnings. As of the end of last year, she had a higher net value than he did according to celebritynetworth.com.

Comment by abfidy – March 27, 2012 10:46 AM PDT
  • An appropriate word is “travesty”. Erika was one of the top performers last night. She did not deserve to be in the bottom 3. She got no love from the judges last night or tonight–even without the save. I understand not using it on her because she was in the bottom 3 each week, but to not give her any praise for last night or encouraging words tonight is really disgusting.

Comment by Denise Quint (@mrsjones10) – March 22, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely, Denise! I totally agree. I was expecting them to, at least, tell her that she was wonderful but…sorry, they couldn’t use the save. Randy, pithy all of a sudden, more or less just told her “sorry…no.” That was disgusting.

Comment by Gina – March 22, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • By “top” you mean most boring, right? She had very little charisma and could not build a fan base. She had a good voice, but so does everybody else.

Comment by musica1 – March 22, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heejun should have been gone, not erika :0(

Comment by Ravendeb – March 22, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BOO!!!

Comment by Jessica – March 22, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ergh I like Heejun but no, he did not deserve to stay over Erika! I mean I wouldn’t have minded Deandre, as he isn’t a great singer either…but Eruka! ERGH!

Comment by Josh – March 22, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Erika* not Eruka :-p.

Comment by Josh – March 22, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Idol has been boring for awhile. Does anyone buy albums by Kris Allen, Lee DeWyze or Scotty McCreary? No. At least Heejun provides some form of entertainment for the show.

Comment by Dags – March 22, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um, excuse me? Scotty has sold more than 1.5 million albums since his “Clear As Day” debuted. He has enjoyed a successful tour with Brad Paisley, and he is currently finishing his senior year of high school (because unlike some other teen stars, he recognizes the value of education. He’s even applied for college!) So don’t be so quick to write him off as a failure.
      Also, Kris’ “Live Like We’re Dying” went platinum. I think it may even be multi-platinum.

Comment by IdolFlash-7-9-35 – March 22, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In my opinion, Scotty is the worst and more boring of the three. The mere fact he is all american good boy has made him sold, just what southern woman who watch AI love. And that number is totally false. He hasn’t actually reached the 1 million copies sold.

Comment by Lars – March 23, 2012 04:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Um, excuse me, but I’m a southern woman who actually lives near Nashville and I HATED Scotty; James, Haley & Pia were my favorites with James being 1st! Are you actually from the south, Lars?

Comment by Karrie – March 23, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know that SOMEBODY is buying music by Scotty McCreery. I don’t know this person, but McCreery’s album has sold very well.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I bought Scotty’s cd and I loved it. He has a wonderful country voice and will only get better.

Comment by Lana – March 25, 2012 01:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes I actually brought Kris album and I can’t wait till his new single comes out next week and the album shortly there after. Do you think before you speak, I don’t have Scotty album, not into
      Country, but obviously someone is because he is gold. I am sorry your person was voted off but
      There is no need to be so juvenile.

Comment by Mary – March 22, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry I stAnd to be corrected, platinum.

Comment by Mary – March 22, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m looking forward to Kris’s new album and his new songs sound promising. So yes, I’ll buy his new album.

Comment by Davey – March 22, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup. Kris Allen is great.

Comment by perfesser – March 23, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HALEY REINHART SLAYED PEOPLE. FIERCE TO DEATH

Comment by HALEY REINHART #1 – March 22, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Erika but I don’t care….

HALEYYYYYYYYYYYYY <3

Comment by Kelm – March 22, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the hair did Erika in. It made her look even older and more out of touch.

Comment by Tim – March 22, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sleaze, you told her to dye her hair black. You didn’t tell her to look like a cross between Kris Jenner and Lucille 2 from Arrested Development.

Comment by betsybug – March 22, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant Slezak. Damn autocorrect.

Comment by betsybug – March 22, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh Buster! What a grand gesture!

I liked Erika, but just couldn’t get on board with her this week. Belting: THE DAILY NEWS!!!!!!!!!! Seriously? Not so New York.

Comment by Erin – March 22, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A girl will never win AI again until they change the way the public can vote, Simple as that. Maybe after this year when Phil Phil wins they will change it. I keep hoping.

M
    eanwhile the Voice is really good…

Comment by Jen – March 22, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • EVP IS the right person to go because not enough people connected with her. So be it, DEAL WITH IT.

And by the way, isn’t it funny how just 1 week ago, everyone on this board was rejoicing over the elimination THAT SHOULDN’T HAVE EVEN HAPPENED AT ALL, and this week everyone is up in arms over it? Everybody’s a hypocrite I guess.

Comment by JB – March 22, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I am not happy that she left before Heejun, but reality is she never caught on with the audience. At this stage, people are voting for their favorite. To tell you the truth I am
    Surprise Elsie wasn’t in the bottom. I knew the judges would not save her. I think the judges were pissed that Heejun survived. This group is talented, people have to vote for
    Their favorite, but when the contestant saids I don’t want a career in music they have to jump ship. people vote with your ears.

Comment by Mary – March 22, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I have to say about that is:

1) Lady Reinhart was fabulous

Comment by Renda – March 22, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “2) The guys could take a crap on stage (Heejun practically did) and they’d still last longer than the girls”
      You get a Made Me Laugh! :-)
      Unfortunately, that’s probably true!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 22, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Waaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!! I know that this is an evenly matched year, and that heartbreak would pile on week after week. But it’s a total injustice that the hugely talented Erika went home before the weak, weak DeAndre and the unfunny goofball (shades of Sanjaya) Heejun.

Heejun doesn’t want to be a “star”? What the @*!$ is he doing on Idol if he’s going to sing off-key and disrespect the hard work of his fellow performers? He should volunteer to go home to someone who takes it more seriously.

Comment by PFitzDC – March 22, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he said “i’m not a star” not “I don’t want to be a star”. He recognizes that he’s not a star, plus his self-esteem has been low from the beginning. He should have gone home tonight but I’m sure he wants to win as much as the others.

Comment by Shana – March 22, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh haley. so beautiful. stunning. mesmerizing. heavenly.

Comment by justin – March 22, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay, this might be an unpopular opinion but I’ve gotta get it out there. I really like Haley’s song, “Free.” It’s soulful, shows off her range, and has a nice hook; it should be a hit. But I liked it much more when I watched a video of her performing it at a Hard Rock Cafe with a lone piano for accompaniment. Am I the only one who thought that the staging for Haley’s performance was, well… really, really stupid? C’mon: the cage, the backgrounds, the tidal wave hair… It was all so kitchy and put-on and over-produced and just not Haley. Again: love Haley, love the song. Would rather she have toned down the histrionics and focused on the rather lovely melody and words.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I kind of agree with you. I was like, “What are you doing in that cage, girl? Please get out of that cage. What is up with your hair, girl? Please fix your hair.” But I still loved it. Love the song, love her, loved the crowd’s reaction.

Comment by Brigette – March 22, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I knew when Nigel tweeted that Wade Robson was staging it that we was gonna get somethin OTT but actually compared to some of his SYTYCD stuff it wasn’t as OTT as I was concerned it would be, I really liked it. And Haley slayed it, she was awesomesauce!!!

Comment by Emma – March 22, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree totally. I bought her single and play it over and over but the staging and her hair was too much and it cheapened the performance. I actually thought I was watching factor.

Comment by Mary B – March 22, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree. Distracting. Cheesy…maybe a bit sleezy!

Comment by Rob – March 23, 2012 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • amen!

Comment by Jaxguy – March 22, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • this was a reply to justins post

Comment by Jaxguy – March 22, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dial idol is completely wrong again — even though deandre was at the bottom and erika was second from the bottom — heejun was at the top 2 or 3.

I know what you will all say that it doesn’t count texts, but I thought heejun would have more fans.

Comment by jake – March 22, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dial Idol had everyone in the bottom three. I don’t think there were a lot of votes yesterday, and based on Dial Idol’s results, the race between the ten finalists was too close to call.

Comment by Annie – March 22, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well….Haley was awesome…..I have nothing positive to say besides that. Sad for Erika, sad for the millions who had their retinas burned by Jennifer’s dress.

Comment by TB – March 22, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you see Casey was in the audience tonight rooting his best pal on?

Comment by Owen – March 22, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I did and I think his parents were there too, and it was just adorable. Did you see the pictures of Stefano backstage rooting his rumored girlfriend on? The season 10 love…it warms my heart.

Comment by TB – March 24, 2012 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The good: Haley. I admit I wasn’t a big Haley last season but this song made me want more of Haley.

The bad: Well didn’t care for Lana Del Ray or whatever her name was. True snoozefeast song. And a talented singer going leaving over someone who should be a comedian or an actor. Sorry this is the wrong competition for Heejun.

Comment by Shawn – March 22, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had never heard Lana Del Ray before tonight but I gotta say that I dug her performance. She has a very interesting voice, and those lyrics I could make out sounded intriguing. I may have to look up more of her.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • At least Lana did better than she did on SNL. I will give her that.

Comment by Brigette – March 22, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, really? I thought she was better than an Ambien.

Comment by TheBeach – March 22, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I thought she WAS on Ambien! Whatever she’s taking, I want some. She was CLEARLY under the influence of something. No one acts (sings) like that without being stoned on something! At one point, she had a WHOLE different voice!!!

Dissociative Identity Disorder, anyone?

Comment by Leah – March 23, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Haley and she sounded great tonight but Free is kind of forgettable. I hope there are some better songs on the album. Casey James on the other hand has a very good single that suits him like a glove. And his CD is good with several songs that could become singles.

I didn’t think they would save Erika but she sang very well in her final song. She was the best of the bottom three.

Comment by Davey – March 22, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve heard several of Casey James’ songs on the satellite country station and they are quite good!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 22, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I bought Casey James’ CD…I love it!!!

Comment by Rob – March 23, 2012 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, you get a Made Me Laugh! :)

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 23, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She sang second, she’s older and she’s not a size 0 — i wonder if that has any effect. It’s sad, Erika was one of my favorite singers. At least she’s on tour.

Comment by jake – March 22, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hm… not that surprised. Loved her last night. But honestly, it was the first performance where she nailed it. It was just too little too late. At least she got a cool haircut out this gig.

Comment by Me Me – March 22, 2012 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The hair wasn’t her main problem, but I wish they’d left it in a style that made her look as sexy as she did last week.

Erika has a great voice, but none of her performances ever made her stand out from everyone else ( or at least differentiate her from Elise). Am I the only one who thinks that the producers sacrificed her in order to save Elise? I think that they are betting that the people who voted for her will now vote for Elise, and ensure that she stays around longer than she (should) would have if Erika was there. It’s like they know that both of them are vulnerable, so they pimped Elise yesterday in order to get rid of Erika.

Comment by Annie – March 22, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with your suspicions. The judges should have saved Erika — she deserved to be on the show longer. The judges, if they had any integrity, would not have been nitpicking her beautiful performance last night, and would have flatly stated that she deserved to be on Idol longer. All of them admired her singing, but they seemed to have decided they there was only room enough this year for one older jazzy woman, so they gave all the praise and pimp spots to Elise, their chosen one.

Comment by BostonBuddha – March 22, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hadn’t thought of that, but you might be right – and that strategy will probably work in terms of Elise getting the votes Erika was getting.

Comment by Peggy Sue – March 22, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really bummed that Erika is gone. She and Elise have been my two favorites from the start. I do think that many of Erika’s votes will go to Elise, so there is that very tiny silver lining. Erika should’ve outlasted several of them, imo. Sad.

On a brighter note, Haley was magnificent. She looks and sounds amazing.

Comment by blingedup – March 22, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Haley sounded good, but I’m sorry my fellow Haleyans, that song isn’t a Top 10 record.

As for tonight’s result show, I was changing back and forth between AI and the basketball game. I turned the channel when I saw the bottom three and I knew Erika was a goner.

The save will be used on one of two contestants: Joshua or Jessica. The judges and head honchos do not want another Pia situation. Plus, demographics rule.

Comment by Nedsdag – March 22, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Go seek out the acoustic version of Haley’s song “Free” on Youtube. It’s much better than what we saw tonight.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I did. I’m still not impressed.

I had a feeling this would happen with her; a great contestant putting out meh studio music.

I hope the rest of her album is better.

Comment by Nedsdag – March 22, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We have come to a parting of opinions. But that’s okay! I didn’t like her performance tonight but I’ve liked almost all of what I’ve heard from her album. I just hope she sticks to acoustic stuff in the future.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m with ya. Haley seems to do much better stripped down…oops, that didn’t come out right.

Comment by TheBeach – March 22, 2012 08:44 PM PDT
          • Admit it: that came out exactly how you meant it.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 09:21 PM PDT
    • I’m thinking Haley had to pick something as a first single when she was on tour and that was the best option. It just needs to be enough to be a foot in the door, and I’m thinking since it’s sitting at 15 on the iTunes pop charts with no radio play yet, then that’ll be good enough to get promo on the songs she actually wrote.

Comment by TB – March 22, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I very much agree with you re: Haley. I will buy her album (am looking forward to it, in fact), however, “Free” does absolutely nothing for me.

Comment by Elena – March 22, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lana Del Ray is awful. I can’t wait until she fades away. A boring voice, a boring song, they should have had Casey James sing his new single, too.

Comment by Davey – March 22, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t get the hype about her. Seems contrived to me

Comment by Shana – March 22, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like everyone in the top 10, so it’s hard to see anyone go, and I thought Erika delivered such a beautiful vocal on New York State of Mind. If you are going on performance versus personality, she should have been safe after last night.

Comment by dj – March 22, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was it just me, or were the judges focusing more on the other contestants than they were on Erika when she was singing for her life? It looked like Randy and J-Lo were giving the “survivors” a death stare…..

Comment by jennings – March 22, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved that! Where in the world were they looking?! I swear they were each looking off in a different direction, as if they already knew they weren’t going to use the save for Erika and didn’t want to look her in the eye. Definitely a nice, unintentionally funny moment.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The judges were upset they knew they were not going to use the save and it would have been wrong for them to use it at this stage of the compitition. Erika was wild card and was in the bottom three every week. If they used the save she would only go home next week. The audience did not connect with her. They normally use the save for someone who is consistant and never was in the bottom three before. That said I liked Erika and would have preferred one of the boys to go but America thought different. I really think if Elise has a bad week she will go next for the same reason. She does not have a big fan base and she is already labeled with a bad attitude. It will take alot on her part to win the audience over.

Comment by Mary B – March 22, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought I read over the summer that the judges wanted to change the “Save” option to having at least two saves, not one. So, if that is true, I’m sure there were thinking, “THIS is why we need two saves.” However, I still don’t think they should have used it. I hate when two people have to go home the next time – it should only be used for something extraordinary. If they are glaring at anyone, they should have been glaring at themselves. They “constructively” criticized Erika at the absolutely wrong time, with not enough praise thrown in. They know she has had trouble connecting – you don’t nitpick such a beautiful rendition after the mess they let pass from DeAndre – and you don’t just throw away a tacked-on compliment like “still a great vocal” muttered quickly at the end and expect the people aren’t going to notice that. AND they did it with Erika appearing early in the show. Judges need to blame themselves for this.

Comment by Shel – March 25, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Annie, you may have a point. The Erika voters will go to Elise. Both of the older girl were just not going to get too far because this is a young vote show. But, I thought Erika had a great voice and I will miss her as she has such an upbeat personality.

Comment by Marilyn – March 22, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually thought Steven wanted to save her and Jennifer was thinking about it; they sure didn’t discuss it much. I didn’t see much discussion at all, except that I think Steven was upset about her leaving.

Comment by Marilyn – March 22, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they already have decided who they will use the save on and they just pretend to confer about it if that person isn’t the one that’s in danger of going home. I think they’ll use that save for Jessica, Joshua or Phillip–whoever needs it first.

Comment by C – March 22, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • When it’s down to five guys and Jessica, they’ll save Jessica.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 22, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to the night when Colton actually does go to the bottom 3 just so I can see Seacrest mess with him.
    “Colton. America watched your performance last night… and they loved it! But not enough to make you safe. Head to the stools.”

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 22, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Delray suck, can’t believe people purchaased her music. Also, I don’t believe Haley pre tape her performance, disappointed. I want live performances from past idol. Song not bad but I am not sure what radio station will play it.

Comment by Mary – March 22, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Video Games, and she sang it pitch perfect on Jools Holland. *shrugs* She’s definately not everyone cup of tea, but then again, who is? She’s certainly doesn’t ‘suck’.

Comment by Tarc – March 22, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erika pulled a Keri Russell. She cut her hair and found herself off TV.

Comment by Bob – March 22, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It didn’t help that they made her look like a middle-aged house frau. I would have gone with a different style/color.

Comment by Tim – March 22, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She looked like a middle-aged housefrau BEFORE the most excellent makeover.

Comment by Tarc – March 22, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • How can any of you call a 26-year old a middle-aged housefrau? I mean, really, if you’re standing next to 16 year olds, sure…there’s an age difference.
          But, let’s not get idiotic about it. She’s still a young woman:black hair or blonde.

Comment by Gina – March 23, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She looked like Kris Jenner, so, a grandmotherly look. A hip grandma, but still a grandma.

Comment by Templar – March 23, 2012 01:15 PM PDT
  • I don’t know, I don’t feel as bad about Erika leaving as you do. First, HeeJun should have been the one to go, and everyone knows it including him. Given that (and hoping it’s him next week), I think Erika was the next to go. She might have a great voice, and I hope she finds work singing professionally that she loves- but she is not American Idol material. Not until you limit the votes and give adults a chance to let their choices be heard. But also – as I said to my son as we were watching – (I hate to be mean. … ) she is not rememberable – i.e., she is forgettable. The song she sang tonight – as you pointed out -did not show off her voice, did not show off what she is capable of. I’m glad she made the top ten, but for me – she was in the bottom 2 out of who is left so it might as well be this week. Once we get Heejun voted off, it’s going to be a LOT tougher – I think Elise and Deandre will go next — (even though Elise is fantastic – again, not Idol winner material) and then I don’t want to see ANYBODY go after that! (personal favorite is Skylar – I just like her.) Jessica and Hollie and Phillip should probably be the top 3.

Comment by Peggy Keelan – March 22, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t get this Hollie love…I mean I really don’t get it…

Comment by Owen – March 22, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cute as a button and can belt it like nobody’s business… What’s not to get?

Granted, this was her worst so far, but hopefully, she’ll learn soon.

Comment by Cup of Joe – March 22, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post