WE tv just wants to have fun — and they’re doing so with an all new show starring Cyndi Lauper.
Set to debut this summer, the 12-episode docu-series, tentatively titled Cyndi, will center on the over-the-top life of the ’80s music icon. Production on the series begins in April.
Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…
• Reno 911! vet Thomas Lennon will appear in New Girl‘s May 8 finale, TVGuide.com reports. He’ll play a potential new roommate for the gang, when Nick contemplates moving in with his ex-girlfriend Caroline (returning guest star Mary Elizabeth Ellis).
• Jere Burns (who currently recurs on Justified) and Kristanna Loken (The L Word) are set to reprise their respective roles for multiple episodes in Burn Notice‘s upcoming sixth season, per EW.com.
• Glee may be planning to put on its own version of the rock opera Tommy in an upcoming episode, The Chicago Tribune reports. The 1975 British musical film is based on The Who’s 1969 album.
• IFC has renewed the Fred Armisen-led Portlandia for a third season, to bow in January 2013. The indie network has also picked up Whisker Wars for a second cycle, and ordered four new series: Out There, an animated coming-of-age series; Comedy Bang Bang, an unscripted talk show; Bunk, a comedy game show; and Maron, which is based on the life of comedian Marc Maron. IFC will also air a new installment of R. Kelly’s 2007 hip-hopera “Trapped In The Closet.”
• Eddie Izzard (The Riches), Elijah Wood (Wilfred) and Donald Sutherland (Dirty Sexy Money) have been tapped to star in Syfy’s upcoming take on Treasure Island (premiering Saturday, May 5). Izzard will play Long John Silver, with Wood portraying Ben Gunn and Sutherland taking on the role of Flint.
• Award-winning singer-songwriter JD Souther has joined the cast of ABC’s drama pilot Nashville as legendary country music producer Watty White.
Which TVLine Items have you talking today?