Doctor Who Casts New Companion: Find Out When She'll Arrive

Get More: Casting News

Doctor Who has cast 25-year-old Jenna-Louise Coleman from Blackpool, England to serve as the good Doctor’s next companion, it was announced on Wednesday morning.

Coleman will make her debut in the Christmas episode of the upcoming Season 7, which is currently filming and will be comprised of “14 big, blockbuster-movie episodes,” says BBC America. She will replace Karen Gillan when both companion Amy Pond and Rory (played by Arthur Darvill) bow out in “a heartbreaking departure after one final series of roller-coaster voyages,” teases the press release.

Says executive producer Steven Moffat of the new hire, “It always seems impossible when you start casting these parts, but when we saw Matt [Smith] and Jenna together we knew we had our girl. She’s funny and clever and exactly mad enough to step on board the TARDIS.

“It’s not often the Doctor meets someone who can talk even faster than he does, but it’s about to happen,” Moffat adds. “Jenna is going to lead him his merriest dance yet. And that’s all you’re getting for now.”

Coleman’s credits include ITV’s Emmerdale, ABC’s upcoming ITV1-produced miniseries Titanic and an appearance in Captain America: The First Avenger.

Comments (63)

• I know its time for Rory and Amy to bow out, but I’m going to be a mess when They leave. I think I may be more attached to them than I am the doctor.

Comment by Clarissa – March 21, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Amy and all, but I feel like I will be most sad to see Rory to go. And with the fact that Karen wants to not come back, makes it all the more sadder.

Comment by Juan – March 21, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What about Karen not wanting to come back? I haven’t read anything about that.

Comment by Tabor – March 21, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah she wanted to move on, said so in many interviews. She also said she wanted her character to die or end in some way she could not come back. She said any other ending would cheapen her exit

Comment by kraw hitham (@_krawhitham) – March 21, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Comment by Tabor – March 22, 2012 07:51 PM PDT
  • So excited!! I love Amy and Rory and will miss them dearly, but that’s the nature of the beast. Allons-y!

Comment by Jessi – March 21, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Coughs* It’s River Song* Cough*

Comment by Josh – March 21, 2012 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Surely they wouldn’t do that to us AGAIN. Plus, I think RS is out of regenerations because she saved the doctor’s life in Let’s Kill Hitler.

Comment by Slizabeth – March 21, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well THAT River is, but I think this is a PAST River…

Comment by Josh – March 21, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • River was born, kidnapped, and raised *spoiler*. Then she regenerated in America, into *spoiler* who regenerated into Alex Kingston’s River… I don’t think there could have been another regeneration in there.

Comment by Slizabeth – March 21, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Hmm good point.

So she’s Alex Kingston when she has adventures with the Doctor? So I guess it won’t be Matt Smith’s doctor right?

Comment by Josh – March 21, 2012 02:14 PM PDT
    • it’s can’t be river. river dies in the episode “forest of the dead” during the time of the tenth doctor saving him.

Comment by chelsea – March 21, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do so many Who departures have to be “heartbreaking?”

Comment by aunt_deen – March 21, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because Doctor Who, like Forrest Gump, is a life-affirming drama in which nearly everybody dies.

Comment by Rock Golf – March 21, 2012 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. I’m really gonna miss Amy and Rory but I’m also excited for the new companion. Just please stop killing Rory. Poor guy.

Comment by Dee (@DangerDee) – March 21, 2012 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So agree, also, no more eps with centuries of waiting for them, please! I hope Moffat lets them both live in peace after this.

Comment by Nadine – March 21, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dammit! Where’s the Doctor’s Daughter, Moffat!

Comment by Paul Roth (@paulidin) – March 21, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too busy being married to Tennant, lol.

Comment by Julia – March 21, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And bearing little Time Lord babies and grandbabies.

Comment by Alice – March 21, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ooooooh fun!!!! lol

Comment by Sydney – March 22, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope they bring her back sometime

Comment by Amber – March 21, 2012 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really hope they don’t.

Comment by Michael – March 21, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Busy with White Man Van

Comment by kraw hitham (@_krawhitham) – March 21, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I really want them to bring her back in, I thought I’d heard that they were, but nothing since that episode…

Comment by Rachel – March 21, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll miss Amy and Rory a lot! But I think it’s time for a new companion. Though I was expecting River Song.

Comment by Julia – March 21, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Goodbye to companions that I never liked. Now how long before we can get rid of matt smith. He is the worst doctor ever. I who love the show was forced to top watching because of the terrible writing and even worse acting.

Comment by sonya – March 21, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t like the 9th doctor, really liked Tennant as the 10th, but Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor has to be my favorite. He brings this energy and playfulness to the role I think was lacking towards the end of Tennant’s run. But of course, everyone has a different opinion! :)

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – March 21, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would you like some more ‘whine’ to go with that……….’whine’? The last two series have been a vast improvement to every fan of Doctor Who except those with a love of soap opera and fangirls who though the previous Doctor ‘hawwt!”. Matt Smith, the best Doctor of NuWho by some distance, ain’t going anywhere soon darlin’. Get used to it.

Comment by Michael – March 21, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, but you don’t speak for every fan of Doctor Who except those who love soap operas and think Tennant’s hot. I like Matt Smith and enjoyed the fifth season, not so much the sixth, but I think the first five seasons were every bit as good. I hate soap operas by the way, and initially I thought Tennant was anything but hot (I admit he grew on me though.)

Comment by Amber – March 21, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s no loss to have a hater like you stop watching. Moffat has done the best writing ever; it must be over your head. Too bad for you, sonya.

Comment by Jaqen – June 10, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that. The 11th doctor has such an annoying personality and somebody that young just isn’t credible as the doctor.

Comment by Jennie – February 3, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still not sure how they’re dragging Amy and Rory out for another season. I thought their story kind of ended last season when the doctor said goodbye because he didn’t want them to get killed. I understood them coming back for the finale and even their brief appearance in the Christmas special,but I dont’ see why they would be back in the Tardis on a regular basis again. Unless maybe it somehow involves River being in danger or something.

Comment by Amber – March 21, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, she is definitely very pretty, and I’m sure she will be a great companion. However, Amy and Rory are by far my favorite companions so far and it is going to be very sad when they leave.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – March 21, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather see ‘Rose’ and David Tennant brought back together. That was brilliant.

Comment by Phil – March 21, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be awesome!

Comment by JustineK – March 21, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d love that. I just heard that Billie Piper’s going to be in an episode of David Tennant’s new show.

Comment by Amber – March 21, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rose and Doc 10 were nauseating.

Comment by Michael – March 21, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed.

Comment by Julia – March 21, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • jeez Michael, from your nasty comments, it appears that you only like the Matt Smith series. Too bad. Guessing that you are not a die hard/long time Dr. Who fan like many of us. Smith is a capable actor but just overdoes it as the Doctor. We were tired of him after only a few episodes. wsAmy is an awsome character and Gillan does a bang up job of keeping her fresh & witty. Rory is the perfect ‘straight man’. I personally wish it was just Matt Smith leaving the cast cause’ he kinda’ sucks as the doctor! oh and Tennant, Eccelston, Piper & of course Catherine Tate were some of the best characters to grace the Doctor Who series & I’m missing several others……open your mind a little!

Comment by MotherTaracey – August 22, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really wanted someone older. I do NOT want another modern day companion. Either have her from the past or an alien.

Was never a big fan of Amy who seemed to be the greater focus on the show than the Doctor himself but I did like Rory.

Comment by crochetowl – March 21, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well isn’t she as cut as a button!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited!

Comment by Lizzie – March 21, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • didn’t think they could top Karen & Freema in looks but WOW
    hope she’s as a good an actress as she is beautiful

though really she’ll never top Karen’s accent
    Welcome Jenna ALLONS-Y!!!!!

Comment by lee – March 21, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • amy was my fvt companion. her & matt smith had gr8 chemistry. didnt care 4 rory. i think smith is a gr8 replcmnt 4 tenant. from the very 1st episode of the matt smith dr when he first meets amy pond, i thoroughly enjoyed it & i will miss the amy pond character.

Comment by sheila – March 21, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss Amy and Rory very much and looking forward to the new gal. Any chance of bringing K9 back?

Comment by Lyn – March 21, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • K9 is with Sarah Jane in Sarah Jane Adventures on CBBC , a kid’s channel . Sorry but got a 9 yr old who is addicted to anything sci fi .

Comment by sam – July 20, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rory and Amy have been my favourite companions to date, I agree with others here I know its time but man it is going to be brutal. No doubt that episode in which they leave is going to be rather heart wrenching, I am both looking forward to and dreading it.

Comment by Damien – March 21, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s great to change stuff up again that’s how it has stayed around for fifty years

Comment by Tony – March 21, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You are all neophytes. The best Doctor IMHO was Tom Baker. (Jellybabies?) My favorite companion was Leela.

Comment by Vash the Stampede – March 21, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOVED Baker! Although Eccleston(personally) was MY Doctor, Baker for me was absolutely brilliant and I couldn’t get enough.

Comment by Sydney – March 22, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree!

Comment by MB – June 8, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll miss Amy, I really hope they don’t kill her.

Comment by Carmichael – March 21, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. Another pretty face. Hope she has some decent acting chops (would have loved to have seen Sally Sparrow as a companion). As for heartbreaking endings, that doesn’t necessarily mean death–remember Rose and Donna, still alive but forever lost? There’s heartbreak for you!

Comment by Valery – March 21, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still remember Steven Moffat saying that the next companion could be a what and not a who… so Even though this girl was cast (and is very beautiful btw) she might not even look like that on DW!

Comment by Manie – March 21, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to meet her, until then I’ll reserve judgment. I didn’t like Amy to start, but she’s really grown on me, so I will miss her…I just really hope she and Rory get to sort of ride off into the sunset…

Comment by Rachel – March 21, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll reserve judgment till I see the character, but frankly, she looks like she’s 12.

Comment by Whimsical – March 21, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So gutted that Amy and Rory are leaving but it is their time! PLEASE, PLEASE! bring River Song back though! Obsessed with Alex Kingston and River’s such a fun character that they can do so much more with! i kinda hope this new character is a member of the pond family, like the Doctor and Rivers daughter, or their granddaughter…or not even the doctors daughter, just rivers (not even sure that’s possible, but she is human+timelord so maybe she could :/ you never know) i know a lot of people are going to disagree with me and not want her to have anything to do with River but i think it could be good, IMO :) Anyway, welcome Jenna! :D

Comment by MonroeVsMansfield – March 21, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My feelings exactly. Who’s to say that River and the Doctor didn’t have a child together?

Comment by Dawn of Art – December 9, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really excited for the new Companion! I love when the Doctor meets new ‘Whos and whats’ although me personally I was heartbroken when the tree lady died in the first season. however, the people that the Doctor travels with always brings something special so-Welcome aboard! btw-could K9 come back? even for one epi?

Comment by Sydney – March 22, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reading all these comments just affirms what I love about Dr. Who. I’ve been watching it for over thirty years. It’s like the weather – if you don’t like it now, wait a bit – it will change – new doctor, new companions, new writers – something for everyone!

Comment by mary – March 24, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i thought she was a dead Dalek!

Comment by Scott Danks – September 22, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • same i thought she blew up

Comment by abby – September 22, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought she died. That episode totally blew mind.

Comment by Sydney – September 22, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find Matt Smith to be completely void of talent, have not purchased a single (current) Doctor Who DVD since he was brought on, and don’t intend to resume doing so until the BBC wakes up and gets rid of him. G-o-d-a-w-f-u-l. BBC: FYI.

Comment by Ross – November 12, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post