TVLine Items: Rosie Reacts to Cancellation, SNL Books Josh Brolin, Once Finale News and More

Rosie O’Donnell used her OWN talk show to — most diplomatically — share her take on Oprah Winfrey’s decision to end the evening talk show after its March 30 telecast.

“It was fair,” O’Donnell said in response to those who called The Rosie Show‘s axing unjust. “Listen, Oprah gave me an amazing shot… she put me back on TV, she believed in me… and off I came to Chicago with the best of intentions, trying to do what I thought would be kind of easy for me. But it wasn’t.”

O’Donnell reviewed the show’s format changes and attempts to adapt to the current TV landscape, but said, “By that time, we had lost a lot of momentum.”

O’Donnell quoted Lewis Carroll, saying, “‘I can’t go back to yesterday, because I was a different person then’ —  and that’s what I figured out.” Her full speech can be played here:

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Once Upon a Time cocreator Adam Horowitz revealed on Twitter that the title of the season finale, airing May 13, “A Land Without Magic.” One, two, three… speculate!

• In what’s becoming a rather standard move for Starz, the pay cabler has renewed its upcoming drama Magic City for a second season, ahead of its April 6 premiere. Starz similarly greenlit additional seasons of both Boss and Spartacus prior to their respective debuts.

• Queen Latifah (Living Single), Alfre Woodard (True Blood) and Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show) have all joined the cast of Lifetime’s upcoming remake of the 1989 film Steel Magnolias.

Saturday Night Live has named Josh Brolin (True Grit) host of its April 14 installment; indie rockers Gotye will appear as musical guests.

British actress Camilla Luddington (Will & Kate) has landed a recurring role on the upcoming season of True Blood as Claudette, the fairy sister of Giles Matthey’s Claude, per The Hollywood Reporter.

TBS has set premiere dates for two freshman comedy series: Men at Work debuts Thursday, May 24, while Sullivan & Son starts July 19.

• Take a peek below at Julia Louis-Dreyfus as the Vice President in HBO’s new political comedy Veep, premiering Sunday, April 22.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Toms1€ says:

Veep looks amazing

2. Emily says:

Cannot WAIT for Veep!

3. Rachel says:

Josh Brolin? zzzzzzz

4. YowzaPowza says:

Josh Brolin? Of all people?

• Jennifer says:

Would you rather they invite January or Barkley back? At least Josh is well known, good lookiing and can act. Or better yet, the trainwreck that is Lohan, no, let’s get Rosie O’Donnell, I hear she’s free since Oprah fired her ass.

5. Amanda says:

Stop remaking things!

6. Lynn says:

Who the heck is booking these musical guests on SNL? Really SNL? There are no better acts available than the latest You Tube find? With the exception of a few acts it has been a miserable season for music. I’m looking at you Lana Del Ray, Sleigh Bells, Karmin, etc.

• jrcpoet says:

Considering that Goyte has a big radio hit right now, I think it’s pretty savvy of SNL to book them.

• Danielle H says:

“Somebody that I used to know” is an awesome song! So is the video. I didn’t like it at first, but the chorus just stays with you.

• Angela says:

Agreed. I’ve just started getting into the music from Gotye lately (and I don’t believe it’s “rockers” so much as it is just one guy), so I’m happy to see that news. I’ll have to remember to watch that episode.

• Lynn says:

I am not a fan of the song but at least he has a hit song. It has just felt like too many viral acts. You used to have to be a proven act to get booked on SNL. Maybe I am just more of a rock fan. :)

• Magali says:

then brace yourself for One Direction :(

7. Patti says:

I hope the finale of Once Upon a Time does not kill any characters. I hoped they dropped that copycat gimmick of Lost’s.

8. Erica says:

So, is the poster supposed to look like they cut and pasted Julia’s face into another photo??

• Tusk says:

LOL…One of my biggest pet Peeves…horribly done Photoshops, often a better than average indicator of the quality of the product it’s meant to endorse…I can’t help it, there are 10 yr olds who could do better….for fun :P …annoys the crap out of me.

Re: Rosie….The Ol’ girl’s realised that she’s only got a few bridges left to stand on, so best to not burn the Biggest one. I think that kind of introspection can go a long way.

9. Rjrtist says:

Rosie O’Donnell was crash and burn. All that time getting ready and she adds a ridiculous game show to a talk format. What a joke. Oprah has no idea how to run a network.

10. Emma says:

I use to live in Aus, Gotye has been huge there for a long time, he’s not some new YouTube sensation, he’s a well established artist. Glad to see he’s getting the international recognition he deserves. I loooooooooooooovvvvveeeeeee Josh Brolin, brilliant actor, sooooo sexy and I think he’ll be great :D Cannot wait.

11. kevin says:

Happy 50th birthday, Rosie ‘O Donnell. Guess it’s back to the unemployment line for her.

12. Christy pennington says:

Wasn’t claude sister claudinne sucked dry by Eric last year?

13. ted says:

Magic City is a great show….I hope it is renewed!