Pretty Little Liars Boss Talks Outing 'A', Who Really Killed Alison and Whether [Spoiler] Is Dead

Is ‘A’ really ‘A’? Did Garrett actually kill Alison? When will we find out if a certain someone is dead? Can the now-public ‘Ezria’ find some peace? And what about ol’ crazy eyes, Jenna?!

TVLine spoke with Pretty Little Liars‘ executive producer Oliver Goldstick about all of this and more (Lucas’ dark side, Paige’s return, etc.), and discovered — per usual on the ABC Family soap — the mysteries, both new and old, are just going to keep coming.

TVLINE | I’ve got a theory that we didn’t really meet ‘A’ last night, but rather Mona is just ‘A’s messenger. Care to confirm?
I can’t really completely answer that, but I think you’re on to something. We did promise we would deliver who’d been torturing the girls, the cyberbully who’s been making these girls squirm for two seasons, but I think we know the mystery is deeper. It’s like an onion for us; we are keeping a lot of things spinning here, and it’s deeper than what it seems. We continue to say that since the night Alison died, this is a wild ride with a lot more surprises.

TVLINE | Was it always your plan to follow books and have Mona as ‘A’?
You know, it was never set in stone. If you look back — and this is for those diehard fans — there are a couple incidents where it would have been very difficult for Mona to pull off — specifically Emily’s massage last season, when Mona was at a stable swatting flies with Hanna. Granted, we’ve always said Mona is a mastermind; we know she’s very bright and dropped a lot of clues about that, but clearly some of the things ‘A’ has pulled off would demand more than just Mona. But we also know ‘A’ has some cash — and we set that up last year with the money from the lasagna box. ‘A’ is flesh with money and can pull things off that maybe other teenagers cannot. To answer your question, we did believe that Mona had a strong motivation from the time we started [the show], and we set that up in the early episodes, certainly in the flashback to the pilot when she was dumped on by Alison and Aria. We set her up as an outsider clawing her way back in. We felt this was a satisfying and titillating way to end the season so you’re left with the question of how she pulled it off and the desire to look back at all of these stunts she perpetrated and assess whether it could just be her. And this is where the girls are [next season] as well.

TVLINE | You guys announced earlier this season that you’d reveal the identity of ‘A’ in the finale. Are there plans to unveil another member of Team ‘A’ any time soon? Or will this now be the ongoing mystery?
Yes, the former. There will be links and connections to other people as we go on.

TVLINE | Janel Parrish tells us there will be a six-month time jump at the start of Season 3. Where does that find the ladies of Rosewood?
Mona has to be treated. She’s got serious issues, but we’re not going to a criminal place with her. We certainly do have that with an upcoming trial with Garrett being arrested for Alison’s murder. So, Mona is being treated in a facility and she may be returning to Rosewood High, believe it or not — weirder things have happened. Some of the things she has perpetrated would be criminal activities, i.e. attempted murder, so the girls may not be revealing everything ‘A’s done to them simply because they need answers.

Pretty Little Liars Finale Recap: ‘A’ Is Unmasked!

TVLINE | Is it possible that Garrett did not kill Ali? Is her murder still a mystery in the coming season?
Yes, definitely. Definitely.

TVLINE | Can fans look forward to any confrontations between former friends Hanna and Mona?
Oh, yes. There’s a lot of scorched Earth to step in, and Hanna will be stepping into it.

TVLINE | OK, but what the heck was Lucas doing with Jenna at the masquerade ball?!
That’s one of the mysteries of Season 3. Poor Lucas, he may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time a long time ago, but in the Halloween episode we hinted that he and Mona had this common alliance against Alison. There’s a dark side to him. He’s adorable, but this nerd-nick has some dark ink running through his veins. He is back in Season 3.

TVLINE | And it’s safe to assume the same goes for the now-visually unimpaired Jenna?
Oh yeah, that’s going to be juicy. The question becomes how is she going to use her eyesight, and how are the PLLs going to discover this… It’s pretty interesting.

TVLINE | Talk a little about the girl in the Black Swan costume at the ball. Is that a new character? A member of Team ‘A’? Or just a red herring?
It may be premature for me to tell you this right now, but let’s put it this way: You’ll get a satisfying answer, and it’s a bit shocking.

TVLINE | Fair enough. Will we see the maybe-evil Melissa back next season, given Torrey DeVitto’s current Vampire Diaries gig?
She’s a Hastings, so we don’t say goodbye. We don’t really say goodbye to anyone unless they meet their end. We don’t close doors, especially because she’s a sibling of a main character.

TVLINE | Was Maya’s death purposely left up in the air?
Yes, we’re not confirming that it was her yet.

TVLINE | People are already theorizing that Paige had something to do with it.
That Paige, let’s not forget how we met her. [Laughs]  She’s got a temper, that poor girl. But Paige will return next season.

TVLINE | Is it possible that Maya’s “murder” and the ‘A’ mystery are unrelated?
They look like they’re linked right now. Maya knew too much — if the body is indeed Maya’s. We played around with the idea that there was the bag of things of Alison’s that Maya needed to return to Jason, and that bag may have contained things that could be very, very explosive.

TVLINE | Time for some couples talk: What’s next for the now-outed Aria and Ezra?
There will be a whole new set of challenges for them. Ezra is unemployed — and good luck getting a job! [Laughs] He’s going to have some problems. The situation with her parents is not copacetic. Ella and Byron are on very different pages when it comes to this, so Aria’s home situation may be rockier than you think in Season 3.

TVLINE | How are things for Toby and Spencer?
They’re back on track — how could you not forgive this guy for everything he did now that you know it was all a ruse?

TVLINE | And what’s coming up for Caleb and Hanna?
They’ll face their own set of challenges next season… but she’s not going to give up on Caleb.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Spoilers, Summer TV Preview

1. adambramble says:

Can’t Wait!!!!

2. Callum Nightingale says:

I thought the season 2 finale was amazing, so excited for season 3 also happy it’s back in JUNE so I don’t have to wait ages and ages :)

3. Daniela says:

I have to say that I was shocked by last night’s finale and think it played out wonderful. I LOVED the homage on Hitchcock’s “Psycho”. So good!
    But there was actually one little thing that made me kind of angry. The feeling that the writers haven’t had a real vision for this reveal. In the end it was Mona and it was all quite shocking, but I’d have loved see the build up. The girls putting the actual puzzle together. It didn’t feel like it.
    I mean it’s good that there is a Team ‘A’, but still … out of last night revelation something was missing.
    It was still a good finale even though I’d wish that for the upcoming season the writers of the show would start think right at the start where they want to take this and not make up their minds along the way. It’s always great to have a clear vision. Look at “Revenge” how it’s done right. You watch an episode and you get your clues … with PLL it’s just like some big mystery where viewers aren’t involved.

• dude says:

The problem is, I really don’t think they know what the whole mystery is. When you’re writing a good mystery, you figure out the who/what/where/when/why/how first and then work your way back so you can plant the clues from the beginning. I really don’t feel like they did that. They came up with the concept and went “okay, great, lets figure that out later.” That’s pretty much way the entire first season revealed nothing about either mystery except who it’s not.

4. angela says:

is there a chance alision might still be alive

• Carrie says:

That’s what I’m thinking, too. I don’t really believe that she’s actually dead. There’s obviously a lot more to the story than we know at this point and they hinted at her having a twin in the Halloween episode.

• Niki says:

I was thinking the same thing. Anyone saw a blonde girl at the party with a red dress? I look her so important in a specific momment and at the end who went to see Mona was wearing a red jacket or dress.

• angela says:

i think she is /i hope she is,in the season premiere of pretty little liars Mona said at the end that “i did what you told me to do”Mona said that to the person who visited her ,and remember during the episode alicine was vertending to be Vivian and was watching A, Mona saw Alicen and said she would like keep the secret in return for being popular Mona was probably lieing about that story but she was probably telling the truth about doing what Alison said to do.and at the end of the epesode mona said “i did every thing you told me to do”. i bet she was talking to Allison.

• susan says:

i believe she is still alive.. the other girls keep seeing her from time to time… and what about jena and not being able to see i believe she was able to see the whole time…. she is really odd one.. but i like her..

5. raftrap says:

To be fair I didn’t enjoy the first season finale that much, so it’s not that incredible for me that I didn’t enjoy this one either, that being said, this is one of the only shows that from the season opener right to the end it’s consistently amazing, so I’d rather have a complete great season with a not so great finale than wait all season for a great episode (I’m talking to you Walking Dead).

6. Megan says:

The only thing I had an issue with in the ending episodes of the season was how jumpy the relationships were. Aria and Jason had very few scenes together and sometimes outright ignored each other while they were in the same room, Wren’s appearances are always really random and short lived, and where did Holden go?

Also, I’m all for Aria and Ezra (Aria’s good with anyone really except the pilot guy, who’s just odd), but did Ezra really have to show up at a high school dance? That was kind of hilariously lame. Though I was happy they got a good ending together for the finale.

7. Daisy1021 says:

8. Daisy1021 says:

I may be one of the few to have read the books and love almost everything about the series so far. Though there are certain people that die in the books that don’t in the show but I feel like it makes it more interesting. I know it would be wrong of me to say certain things considering a lot of people may not have read the books so I won’t do it even though I wish I could. I just hope it follows the book in one area and that is who really killed Ali and is behind all this A business. I have read all the books that have been released and I pre order the next ones when possible. I think everyone envolved with making the show is doing a really good with making it interesting by doing certain things from the book but adding enough twists too keep people guessing. Even I was guessing who A was even though I had read the books. Sorry for reposting.

9. Florian says:

I don’t know if anyone noticed that but when Melissa arrives in the kitchen where the girls are at the beginning of the episode, she eats Aria’s ice cream and the taste of this thing is “toffee”, just like the lipstick of Mona. I don’t really think that’s a coincidence.

10. angela says:

i think A is more then one person and i also think alicion is alive how about you?

11. angela says:

o yea i forgot to tell you i the begining of season one they found alicions body and the mistery begain and at the end of season 2 it was it was a nouther death so now there is the mistery of how mia was killed and now that is the new mystery in the show…

12. bobby says:

I enjoyed the finale I got to admit I didn’t think that mona would be A well kind of as for season 3 I want to know if maya is really dead or not I think she is and who else is apart of the whole A team or whatever.

13. Im excited for s3 even though its kinda way too long..i want to see more of EZRIA. Love them. but sad, wren will not be appearing in s3? i love him together with spencer:)

14. Lindsey says:

I’m still wondering about Toby and Dr. Sullivan. How did he get involved with her? And why did he have to pretend not to love Spencer? What did he know and how? Maybe it’s just me, but it wasn’t really clear.

• angela says:

yea it wasn’t really clear i think toby probably just looked her up some how

• NJGIRL says:

I’m wondering if he had to pretend Because of Jenna. I dont really know. All I can think of is that Dr. Sullivan knew who A was..which is why she left town (i.e. said her son was threatened, etc). Dr. Sullivan was looking at a file when she said “I know who A is”. Was she treating Jenna? Mona? If it was Jenna, did she call Toby to warn him about how to keep Spencer Safe (i.e. staying away from her?). Still a lot of questions to be answered! Im glad though. I was so afraid that once they revealed “A” the suspense would be over. Glad they are keeping it going.

15. cant even wait for june 5th….start missing PLL:(

16. Pailyfan says:

Loved the finale!! Yay Paige will be back!! So happy!! I love Paige and Emily together.

17. Coco says:

here’s a question: when A hit hanna with a car, why did A send hanna a text that said “she knew too much”? she didn’t know anything! She thought Noel Kahn was A!!! Unless Noel is also part of the A team?

18. Omg that season finale was epic I didn’t expect that at all. Fom the beginning I kinda felt that something was wrong with her. I mean wow that was crazy but I love it and can’t wait for this season. Season 3 I was kinda was hoping that if aria and mr fits don’t work out I was kinda wanting if aria and jason would get together. Cause they look so cute together awh I just hope something changes for them

19. Simonee says:

I am so excited for next season I really want to find out who is A

20. Kayln says:

I just started pretty little liars on Netflix a week ago and I’m already at episode 14 season 2 this has to be the best mystery series I’ve ever watched. Kyle xy was pretty good but then they canceled it at the climax (the frikin idiots) I don’t no why they cancel all of the cool shows before there done but I have a mini meltdown every time