Scoop: NBC's Munsters Reboot Casts Eddie Izzard as Grandpa!

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

NBC’s Munsters reboot has adopted its first family member: Eddie Izzard!

Sources confirm to TVLine that the former Riches patriarch is nearing a deal to play Grandpa in the high profile pilot, which is now being called Mockingbird Lane.

The role was originated by Al Lewis in classic ’60s version.

The project, which was originally slated to go into production this month but got pushed back until early summer due to casting issues, is being stewarded by Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller and X-Men auteur Bryan Singer. Whereas the original was a comedy, the remake is being billed by NBC as a “visually spectacular one hour drama.”

Thoughts? I know you have ‘em, so proceed to the comments at once!

Comments (31)

• Is this for real. I need it to be!

Comment by Jaclyn-Kate (@jacpatalano) – March 20, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, if this goes to series NBC will deserve to be in last place.

Comment by Tommy McCann – March 20, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well… maybe since Grimm is doing OK (by NBC standards) perhaps they feel that this has a shot.

Comment by smidnite – March 20, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How the heck do you turn the half hour silliness of The Munsters into an hour drama? I might watch just to find out although I have a feeling it will be like driving by an accident. You want to look away, but you just can’t.

Comment by Cindy – March 20, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this just got 1000x better

Comment by ggny – March 20, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, I had been firmly in the Why Are They Remaking This camp…but Eddie Izzard. This might at least be worth tuning into once, just to see what they do with him.

Comment by JP – March 20, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was also in your “Why” camp, but have moved to a different one – “Why not use this cast & opportunity to make something NEW?”

Comment by Dutch Uncle – March 22, 2012 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool, but Eddie needs to go back to the UK and take over for Matt Smith when he leaves Doctor Who!

Comment by Drew – March 20, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love!!!!

Comment by Jor – March 20, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love me some Bryan Fuller (Star Trek Voyager [the 7 of 9 years], Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Heroes [Season 1], Pushing Daisies, etc), and if there’s anyone who could pull this off, he’s the man…

…problem is, Fuller also seems to grow bored quickly and has a habit of abandoning these brilliant shows and leaving them to die in less capable hands. I hear that Fuller is also dveloping a new Star Trek series, so how long is he going to remain committed to this Munsters reboot?

Comment by nivico – March 20, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can see this working.

Comment by Lorie – March 20, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My original thought was, are you kidding me? The Munsters? But, if Bryan Fuller has his hands on it, well, it will certainly be worth checking out! His prior awesome series (Dead Like me—genius!) and Pushing Daisies were so fresh and new—so who knows how this could turn out…. Bryan Fuller does have a loyal following of fans!

Comment by jude – March 20, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not going to work, the series that is, the original Munsters, which I loved so well as a child of the seventies when it was on reruns, was intended as a parody of both the horror films of the 1930s and the family sitcoms running during the time of the series , from what I had read and it should remain that way in our minds and hearts. If I was in charge of remaking the Munsters for this century, the original premise of this show would largely remain untouched, though I would probably add a Freddy Kruger or a Michael Myers type character ( recurring ) as a wacky relative or neighbor for a touch of late 20th century pop cultural reference.

Comment by Tracy Murray – March 20, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Fuller is serious about a Star Trek series, he should work on that and forget trying to revive The Munsters. They’re obviously changing it entirely so it’s a crap shoot how it will turn out, and the odds are never good.

Comment by Temis – March 20, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael,I believe you have made my day. Normally, I absolutely despise reboots,remakes,etc,etc, of any kind. Now that you tell me Eddie will probably be involved-I may have to give it a try at least. Eddie is one of my favorites & very funny at times. However,this will now be more of a drama-interesting move-not necessarily good -just interesting. I don’t know-perhaps it should have stayed true to the original in terms of being a comedy. Michael,the sad part is that even if it turns out good-some may not give it a shot because it’s an Nbc series. I know things are looking somewhat better for Nbc( renewing Grimm at least)but Nbc has so many other problems in their current lineup. I see myself giving this Mockingbird Lane program only because Eddie will be part of it,but,one thing:it better be damn good or I’m out. Look, I wish them the best ,but,who knows? One of your commenters noted they are also working on a new Star Trek series( I didn’t know that)-Now,that’s something I would most definitely be checking out!!!

Comment by jennifer – March 20, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • program*a try*-sorry

Comment by jennifer – March 20, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AHHHH! I’M COVERED IN BEEEEEES I’M SO EXCITED!!! Pardon me while I flail on the floor. I will definitely be watching this reboot now if Eddie is on board.

Comment by Kristi – March 20, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was already pretty convinced with Fuller/Singer. This is awesome casting. I hope it goes to series. I hope it is as visually amazing as Pushing Daisies. I hope being on NBC will give it the time and space it needs to grow.

Comment by John Berggren – March 20, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, Hollywood! They turn tv dramas into movie comedies (21 Jump Street, Starsky & Hutch) and tv comedies into movie travesties (Bewitched). This is the first I’ve heard of turning a tv comedy into a tv drama. Well, Bryan Fuller could do it if anyone could. Might be interesting, at least once anyway.

Comment by Valery – March 20, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: This project has stink all over it!

Comment by Mark – March 20, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eddie is the best!

Comment by suzie – March 20, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A DRAMA?? REALLY?? Give me a break! Stop trying to remake hit shows, try doing something ORIGINAL!

Comment by Get Real – March 20, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love the hurman monsters.

Comment by connie – March 20, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, Nooooooooo! It needs rebooted off the schedule now. The delays alone should tell you where this is headed.

Comment by Rjrtist – March 20, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While your at it why don’t you get Jessica Simpson to play Marylyn, then it will surely become a hit…….

Comment by jay – March 21, 2012 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will forever mourn the early death of Pushing Daisies, and I’d watch Eddie Izzard consider reading the phone book, so I’ll definitely give this a chance–despite my feelings about remakes, reboots and redux. I’ll watch, then decide.

Comment by suzi – March 21, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, if he’s anything like the part he played in Across The Universe, it’ll be terrific. I’m in.

Comment by Templar – March 21, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My only question is on this is, will this air 1 or 2 episodes before it’s cancelled?

Comment by Mike – March 21, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he might make the show tolerable

Comment by kelli – April 30, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRAD GARRETT AS HERMAN MUNSTER!!!

Comment by Ray – May 23, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just watched it and it was horrible yes it had a couple of funny moments but you all forgot what made the original show so funny yes it was a parody but it was also a fish out of water show, you also took away their innocence as well!!!

they were a family that did not see themselves as monsters but as normal people and could not understand why people did not accept them for who they were. they looked like Monsters and that is what made it so funny they going around trying to be normal people from Transylvania from the monster world and people were only seeing them as the monsters they looked like and not for the kind hearted people they really were all anyone could see was them being monsters which made for a lot of pretty comical moments and the appeal that we that love Munster’s will always remember, if you are going to keep this show on you better go back to at least some of the original premises or your going to have a typical stupid comedy like all comedies on tv anymore.
    quit taking out the innocence and it will be a whole lot more appealing.
    and by the way the actors are not the problem it is the writing that is it is stupid not funny and I would take out the twilite type of characters out and put back in the original look characters but don’t make them try to be the original people or characters the just make them look like the monsters like they are it will be more funny

Comment by Robert – October 26, 2012 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post