Ratings: Walking Dead Finale Breaks Records, Once Upon a Time Ticks Up, GCB Drops

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

The Walking Dead‘s Season 2 finale — which TVLine readers have given an average grade of “A” — delivered a 5.8 household rating on Sunday night, making it the highest-rated episode in the series’ history. And with 9 million total viewers, the sophomore finale grew more than 50 percent in audience over the freshman capper.

Similarly, TWD‘s 6 million viewers in the 18-49 demo marks a 50 percent gain versus the Season 1 finale, and the season-ender’s total audience hits 10.5 million viewers when you fold in Sunday’s encore broadcast.

Season to date, The Walking Dead averaged 6.9 million total viewers, with 4.6 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot — up 32 percent from Season 1.

Post Mortem: Walking Dead Boss Dissects Killer Finale, Talks [Spoiler]‘s Arrival, ‘Spoils’ Season 3

Meanwhile, over on the broadcast networks…..

A rousing episode of ABC’s Once Upon a Time — bratty Snow is kinda sexy, amiright? — led the Big 4 in the demos with a 3.0 rating, gaining a tenth week-to-week, while drawing 8.6 million total viewers.

Leading out of that, the Desperate Housewives funeral was attended by 9 million total people (up 7 percent), though dipped a tenth in the demo (to a 2.5). Capping the night for ABC, GCB (6.3 mil/2.0) was down 12 percent.

Turning to NBC, Harry’s Law (7.9 mil/1.1) dropped 10 percent in audience but was flat in the demo, while Celebrity Apprentice (5.8 mil/1.8) was down 10 percent across the board.

CBS’ numbers are thoroughly scrambled by a 43-minute delayed start, but best any reasonable man can guesstimate, Amazing Race was steadyish, Good Wife looks up (?) and the not-yet-renewed CSI: Miami was (maybe?) down.

Finally, Fox’s The Simpsons (5.24 mil/2.4) and Bob’s Burgers (4.4 mil/2.1) saw week-to-week gains, while Family Guy (5.7 mil/2.8) and American Dad (4.6 mil/2.2) were flat.

What were you tuned into this Sunday night?

Comments (36)

• OUAT¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
    What are ABC waiting to renew the show?

Comment by fotreya – March 19, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to miss GCB. Cricket is too awesome.

Comment by xav – March 19, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been enjoying GCB well enough, but for some reason last night’s stuck out as particularly fun. I really love Cricket and her husband – they have the most stable relationship on the show it seems, despite their arrangement.

Comment by Nicole – March 19, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have to say I’m enjoying GCB immensely and especially love the Cricket/Blake relationship, which I think is simply one of the best on television right now despite it being rather unconventional. Plus, Miriam Shor and the unbelievably stunning Mark Deklin are completely ace actors. It’s a little bittersweet because I know deep down ABC is probably not gonna give this one another season.

Comment by ChrisGa – March 19, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed wholeheartedly!

Comment by Hols – March 19, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the Walking Dead season finale? How did it do?

Comment by Scott – March 19, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good question… I bet great since the comic fans guessed that their fav character was going to show.

Comment by Denise@americanhorrorstoryfan – March 19, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cable ratings always, always, always come in later — but AMC ordered a rush on them, so they now have been added :)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 19, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks Matt! No surprise they asked for the rush job. Hopefully this will stay AMC’s hand when it comes to budget cuts.

Comment by Liz – March 19, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So does that mean that TWD won the night, both in cable and in broadcast?

Comment by James Reardon – March 19, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I live OUAT! As for GCB-i liked the pilot and adore leslie bibb and annie potts, but don’t like the nastiness. I don’t know how it can sustain itself.

Comment by Liza180 – March 19, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once was great last night, except I still don’t get why the queen hates her so much?

Comment by Denise@americanhorrorstoryfan – March 19, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay OUAT!! I am so addicted! One of two shows I must watch live every week!!!

Comment by Abby – March 19, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s Amazing Race was hysterical and The Good Wife wasn’t hysterical, it remains to be on top of its game and great guest stars like Michael J. Fox and Elizabeth Reaser from Twilight. On a much softer side, hate to wonder if GCB is fading after the season is over much to the dismay of Pan Am if it keeps it up in the ratings.

Comment by kevin – March 19, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB has got to find some viewers. It is so darn clever and fun! I will be very disappointed if it gets cancelled!

Comment by Amanda – March 19, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too enjoy GCB in the 10 o’clock time slot. I hope ABC gives this show a chance! Its not its fault its right behind DH. But then, it cant put it in the 9 o’clock hour because of good wife! (love) and I do so love watching OUAT @ 8, GW @ 9, and GCB @ 10! :)

Comment by Sarah – March 19, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I kind of wonder if it lost viewers to The Walking Dead, since people probably wanted to watch the season finale live. I mean, TWD’s demo score was just so huge, and I sort of think there might be some crossover in who those shows appeal to.

Comment by Hols – March 19, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Walking Dead finale was on at 9:00, so it aired at the same time as DH, not GCB.

Comment by Mikael – March 20, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for TWD!!! It was phenomenal finale! Season 3 can’t come quick enough.

Comment by Ed – March 19, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hang on a second…
    Harry’s Law got better numbers than The Simpsons, Family Guy, Walking Dead, Celebrity Apprentice and GCB????
    Harry’s Law???

Comment by Rock Golf – March 19, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be really depressed right now that Walking Dead is over until October if those clever programmers at AMC weren’t comforting me by bringing Mad Men back next week.

Comment by Amber – March 19, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, although setting a Mad Men promo to zombie noises was just plain odd.

Comment by Emily – March 19, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love GCB it’s hilarious.
    Yay for TWD ! The Season 2 Finale was fabulous can’t wait for Season 3.
    I wonder if Matthew Weiner can produce ratings that high for AMC with Mad Men.lol
    After his pay raise forced budget cuts on all of the other great shows on AMC…like TWD and Breaking Bad.

Comment by Laurel – March 19, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoy watching GCB. Annie Potts is great. More people should check it out before writing it off. I am not religious and I think all organized religion is a cult but the show is lighthearted and scandalous in an entertaining way. It’s so in your face you can have fun without taking it seriously.

Comment by Velvet – March 19, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats to The Walking Dead. They managed to get this awesome result, even if they got cut money because of the insane deal AMC had to cut with the people of the more than overrated Mad Men. Hope they re-evaluate budget for next season, because Mad Men will NEVER see this numbers.

Comment by Polly – March 19, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB was too funny last night. Cricket is awesome! I really hope it doesn’t get cancelled. :(

Comment by A – March 19, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually OUAT did 2.9 not 3.0

Comment by Mark – March 19, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too am really enjoying GCB and the relationship between Crickett and Blake. I like that even though they don’t have a “traditional” marriage, they are best friends. :)

Comment by Mikaylah – March 19, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only reason I watch GCB is because I like Annie Potts andKristin Chenoweth. I don’t really find it much fun to see people be mean to each other. Though, Amanda Bibbs is supposedly the star, I don’t feel any sympathy for her at all. Do like her mother and kids, though. Needs character development.

Comment by barbara – March 19, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB has some potential but they need to capitalize on characters other than Carlene. The character is annoying and Kristin Chenoweth is over the top, and not in a good way. I’d start with the other two wives and Annie Potts — she cracks me up every time she’s on the screen.

Comment by Jimmy – March 19, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OUAT was awesome Sunday night! The episodes are so awesome when Snow and Charming are involved! Love it! I can’t wait to see how they end up together *hearts*!!!

Comment by Julie (@CDNspnFAN) – March 20, 2012 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope ABC gives GCB a chance to come into it’s own. The show gets more solid, witty, and heartwarming with each passing week.

Comment by Jen Hofstetter (@photosbyjenh) – March 22, 2012 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post