Ratings: Community Pop, Pop!s With Awaited Return, Awake Gains Viewers

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

NBC’s Community returned from its too-long hiatus to 4.9 million total viewers and a demo rating of 2.2, delivering increases of 36 and 47 percent over the comedy’s most recent outing (on Dec. 8 ) and a 14-month, non-sports time slot demo high for NBC.

What’s more, NBC points out that Community – with Bang Bang Theory benched by NCAA hoops — was No. 1 among Adults 18-34 and Men 18-34 during its half hour, besting even a little show called American Idol. Cool, cool, cool…

Year-over-year, Community was up 29 percent in the demo, while versus its season-to-date average it delivered a 38 percent gain.

That teed up 30 Rock, now in the 8:30 slot, for week-to-week gains of 18 and 43 percent, hitting 4.1 million viewers and a 2.0 rating.

In other good news for NBC, Awake in its third week saw a 17 percent bump in audience (to 5.1 mil) while matching last Thursday’s 1.6 demo rating (which marks a 33 percent improvement over the Peacock’s previous Thursdays-at-10 performances via Prime Suspect and The Firm).

Thursday’s other headline goes to the premiere of Ashley Judd’s Missing, which drew 10.6 million total viewers — aka ABC’s most-watched drama of the night, and the network’s biggest audience in the 8 pm spot in 14 months — while netting a 2.0 rating with the 18-49 crowd. For comparison’s sake, ABC’s other drama premieres this season netted out as follows:

Once Upon a Time: 12.8 million viewers, 3.9 rating
Pan Am: 10.8 mil, 3.1
Revenge: 10 mil, 3.3
Charlie’s Angels: 8.7 mil, 2.1
GCB: 7.6 mil, 2.2
The River: 7.5 mil, 2.4

Elsewhere on Thursday:

* American Idol, with 15.5 million total viewers and a 4.5 rating, was down 10 and 8 percent week-to-week. Fox’s repeat of the Touch pilot placed second in the 9 o’clock hour with 8.7 million viewers.

* The Vampire Diaries (2.6 mil/1.2) dipped 8 percent, while Secret Circle (1.6 mil/0.7) was down 12 percent in the demo.

* Grey’s Anatomy (9.7 mil/3.0) gained a few eyeballs but lost a tenth in the demo; Private Practice (7 mil/2.2) enjoyed gains of 11 and 5 percent with The Mentalist MIA.

* Of NBC’s other comedies, The Office (4.9 mil/2.3) dropped 12 percent in the demo, Up All Night (3.63 mil/1.7) was flat.

Comments (72)

• :D :D :D :D :D

Comment by Meta-Gandalf – March 16, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Before everybody gets too excited– there was no competition from The Big Bang Theory because of the NCAA Tournament.

Comment by swthompson – March 16, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OK. Suddenly that was added. LOL

Comment by swthompson – March 16, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While it doesn’t hit as much of the same target audience as BBT, the tournament is a significant draw (it was midway through the second half of the VCU upset when Community started in the eastern and central time zones).

Comment by Brendan – March 16, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I haven’t even watch last week’s episodes. SEC preempts locally and those will be watched on demand or the DVR. NCAA takes over my life in March and I was at the YUM center rooting on my Kentucky Wildcats. Even Ashley Judd was watching the Cats!

Comment by Daniel – March 16, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nonetheless, this only shows that if Community is put in a better timeslot than opposite the two biggest shows on the air right now (Idol, BBT) then it can definitely hold it’s own. NBC need to counterprogram a reality show Thursday’s at 8, and move Community to 8 or 8:30 on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Comment by Rock Golf – March 16, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you’re right, but that shows it’s not a problem with Community, it’s a problem with it’s time slot.

Comment by jéssica b. – March 16, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. I hope they see that now.

Comment by E – March 16, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For people who watch Community and The Big Bang Theory, they should watch Community and DVR TBBT cause everyone knows that show is coming back, it Community that we need to rally behind!

Comment by Russ – March 17, 2012 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show also beat American Idol in Men 18-49, averaging a 3.3 rating to Idol’s measly 1.9!
    Obviously the lack of Big Bang helped with Community’s ratings surge, but we can at least be more optimistic of a fourth season.

Comment by John – March 16, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Incorrect; you’re quoting the Men 18-34 ratings. In A 18-49, IDOL won the half hour 4.0 to 2.2.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 16, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, yeah, my bad.

Comment by John – March 16, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually it DID beat Idol in an important demo! Community was #1 over EVERYTHING on the night (broadcast) in Adults 18-34 BEATING Idol 2.8 vs 2.3….refer to tvbythenumbers if you don’t believe me.

Comment by Ryan – March 17, 2012 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!! Glad it did so well! :D

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – March 16, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it makes me feel happy to imagine the cast and crew cheering at that news

Comment by Juan – March 16, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is awesome and well deserved. I hope it keeps up week to week.

Comment by scooterbeanbag – March 16, 2012 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nbc should move their comedy line to tuesday!!! it can totally go up against fox (even though i love raising hope)!!

Comment by moi – March 16, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been saying this for years. Or even split it up. An hour on Tuesdays, and maybe an hour on Thursdays at 9. I think next year, you’ll see a Fall version of THE VOICE leading Tuesdays with its results show for an hour directly into a multi-cam block featuring the new Roseanne/John Goodman sitcom, DOWNWARDLY MOBILE though. NBC needs to give those kinds of opportunities to their new shows first.

Comment by Ryan Schwartz – March 16, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As someone who loves both Fox and NBC’s comedy lineups I have to say I would HATE this. How can I choose between New Girl and Parks & Reec or between Raising Hope and Community. NBC would lose that battle because Fox doesn’t post their episodes until 8 days after they air and NBC posts next day.

Comment by Ari – March 16, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Easy, you choose Parks & Rec and Community. Definitely Community.

Comment by Simon – March 16, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • NBC posting online episodes the day after gives them the advantage imo. There are many people out there who have other things to do than sit at home and watch tv. And if I have to wait 8 days to watch a show I’m more likely to give up on that show. Online and DVR numbers don’t factor in right away but they do count.

Comment by lacey – March 16, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fox programming is available the very next day On Demand. But I guess that depends on your cable/satellite provider.

Comment by bkwrm – March 16, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COMMUNITY is sooooooo getting renewed. Between that rating signifying the need for a time slot change come September, and this week’s news that Comedy Central will be its cable home in syndication beginning in Fall 2013, there are no cons at the moment. It also brought 30 Rock’s ratings back up out of the gutter. I’m also really happy AWAKE has seemingly stabilized. Something tells me having UP ALL NIGHT (which with its current ratings, deserves cancellation) as its lead in has something to do with it being in the mid-1′s. With Parks in front of it come April 19th, I think we might see it at least tick up to a 1.8-1.9.

Comment by Ryan Schwartz – March 16, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that Up All Night’s ratings are not great, but it is so funny and good show that I hope it gets renewed and i believe it will get renewed because i don’t think NBC would cancel all of its new comedies. I hope they cancel whitney and chelsea…..

Comment by JJ – March 16, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • COMMUNITY is sooooooo getting renewed.

I’m really starting to feel good about that prospect, too. I hope you’re right.

I can’t believe “Community” did so well last night. That makes me seriously happy.

Comment by Angela – March 16, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It never made sense that NBC put Community up against BBT. If they shifted Community to 8:30, I think ratings would improve.

Comment by Pam K. – March 16, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I think the same type of audience would enjoy both shows.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – March 16, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s amazing how many viewers realize this, yet the shot-callers at NBC just don’t for some reason…

Comment by Brendan – March 16, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Honestly, sometimes I thing they’ve done that intentionally, setting it up for failure.

Comment by jéssica b. – March 16, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As a huge fan of both the shows. I wish this would happen. :(

Comment by H, – March 16, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To me this shows the show deserves a fourth season in a different timeslot where it can draw better ratings. It obviously has an audience, it’s just getting obliterated by poor scheduling. Even moving it to 8:30 on Thursdays would help it I think.

Comment by Marc – March 16, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Six seasons and a movie.

Comment by Mike Shea – March 16, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Awake continues to steady, if not go up. I suspect the show is relatively cheap to produce (no big names, no complicated effects or sets), so I can’t imagine NBC ditching it if it continues on this path, right? Also, yay for Kyle Killen breaking his previous record! Three episodes!

And it’s impossible not to be excited about Community. Proves its the time slot, not the show. NBC may want to reconsider its Thursday nights, especially with rumors of CBS building its own comedy block on Thursdays, one that would probably destroy even the most stalwart of NBC comedies, like The Office…

Comment by Jacob – March 16, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s also nice to see 30 Rock net a 2.0 rating. Good for them. Whodathunk Community would prove to be a solid lead-in for a 6-year-old show?

Comment by Jacob – March 16, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never watched Community before the hiatus, but then they FINALLY put all the old eps on Hulu Plus. Everyone told me I’d need to start from the beginning, so I never got into on tv cause I had missed too much. Now that I’m all caught up, I look forward to watching week to week. Count me as a new viewer and I hope there are many more like me!

Comment by dominique – March 16, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love you. And I speak on behalf of the entire fan base =) Haha

Comment by Ryan Schwartz – March 16, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, I was ALL OVER Facebook last night posting funny photos and gifs for all my fellow Greendale Human Beings. We were all very excited to get the show back and I try and tell people all about the awesomeness of Greendale and Luis Guzman every chance I get. And I love you guys too.

Comment by dominique – March 16, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please spread the word of your story to EVERYONE who likes brilliant, quirky sitcoms but has not yet found the best one on tv :)

Comment by Brendan – March 16, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glad you got a chance to check out the show and like it :)! Hope you enjoy the rest of this season as well.

Comment by Angela – March 16, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Missing is toast. Those demo numbers are awful.

Comment by DenverDean – March 16, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bang Bang Theory? That sounds like a totally different type of show…

Comment by rebecca – March 16, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds like something Barney Stinson would come up with to go along with the Bang Bang song, haha.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – March 16, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Instead of starring Sheldon and Leonard, it could star Sheldon Leonard.

(That zooming noise you hear is the above joke going over the head of anyone under 40.)

Comment by Rock Golf – March 16, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I, for one, would love to see that. The corpse demographic is criminally underrepresented on network television.

Comment by Hector – March 16, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched the show for the first time last night since Big Bang Theory was not on, I was not impressed with the show. I must be missing something. The best laughs came from Chevy Chase.

Comment by A5 – March 16, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Personally I don’t think last night’s episode was the best offering, but it was solid. You should check out some of the older episodes on Hulu to get a better idea of what the show is like!

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – March 16, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last nights episode wasn’t one of the best.
      If you minus from it the ‘Literally 1 minute later’ type gags, multiply Jeff’s sarcasm by 100, give Troy and Abed more screentime (they could basically just film reaction shots with Donald and Danny, it would still be gold), and detract a little of the more weird humor (like Pierce’s weird contraptions), then add in a whole lot of awesome and make one of the subplots less prminent…that’s a Community episode.
      I’m not saying it was bad. It was just a bit different than usual. Still a good episode, but not one of the best (and in two and a half Seasons, there’ have only been maybe three episodes I can say that about).

Comment by Ciara – March 16, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love the weird humor. Pierce’s weirdness is one of my favorite things about Community.

Comment by Ash – March 16, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, I think I worded it wrong. I love weird, but I find the devices thing a bit strangein a different for some reason. Weird is great, but that is one example of weird that I don’t like.
          However, I’m certain the majority of the fans love it, so there’s really no point complaining about something just because I don’t like it – it works for some, not others, and it’s not exactly ruining the show for me or anything. So all is well :-)

Comment by Ciara – March 16, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Community’s not really a show you appreciate if you just pick up a random episode, a lot of the humor is built on the characters’ identities. I imagine the Troy and Abed storyline last night in particular would have been really boring if you’ve never seen the show before, but if you have a good background in who the characters are it was hysterical. The same with Britta’s and Jeff’s storylines, too; a lot of the comedy was built on things they assume the audience knows already.

Comment by Brendan – March 16, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lets face it, the main problem at NBC is no hits. They have no shows to establish a beachhead on any night, outside of the Voice, but it is too long in the early stages to launch other shows.

If Community or 30 Rock had been able to follow even a Will and Grace sized hit, they would be huge. Instead, they are expected to open nights, and they don’t have that POP to do it. They are really good shows, and I love them.

I predict, that like How I Met Your Mother, community is a show that will take off once it reaches syndication.

Comment by Patrick – March 16, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never thought of that HIMYM connection, but now that you’ve said it I can’t disagree!

Comment by Russ Burlingame – March 16, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mother effing justice! Keep watching, Nielsen people, even though you’re not real.

Comment by TigerNightmare – March 16, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to be a temporary buzzkill, but one strong episode means very little. What fans need to do is maintain this commitment.
    NBC surely know that they won’t beat out TBBT, sadly, so there’s no need trying to overcome TBBT, but we still need the fans to do the very best they can. The fourth Season may very well be the last for the show, but if we can get at LEAST that, then we should all be happy.
    This is great news, but there are, what, eleven episodes left? Eleven more days of hard-core commitment for half an hour in the evening. That’s all we need.

Comment by Ciara – March 16, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear Awake had a nice big bump! Pay attention NBC – you’ve got a winner there – don’t screw it up! Incidently, the episode was terrific!

Comment by Linderella – March 16, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #coolcoolcool
    #Sixseasonsandamovie!

I’m actually OK if Community only runs 4 years as it fits the conceit of the show. But I’d be unhappy if it weren’t renewed.

Comment by John Berggren – March 16, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for Community! I’ll never understand why NBC schedules it against Big Bang Theory on most nights. I feel like they compete for some of the same audience. Put Community anywhere else in the two hour block and it’d do better.

Comment by Chris – March 16, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get in! (Cool cool cool)

Comment by Ainav – March 16, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FYI, the first half of Community was preempted on the Detroit affiliate because of breaking news coverage of a tornado.

Comment by TV Gord – March 16, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hate to be “that guy”, but when Abed says “cool, cool, cool”, he always makes sure to have one definitive “cool”, then the progression; e.g. “cool. cool, cool, cool.”

Comment by That guy – March 16, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Almost makes you wonder if maybe Community’s ratings were perfectly fine before it was removed from the air, & NBC only did so with the sly intent of bringing it back, just to mark up history & absolutely surge ratings. Haha. ;)

Comment by Mel – March 16, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wat wld u choose to use bet^ NBS or BBT? Kunjena nje kwenze bani

Comment by Samkelo59 – March 16, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBS? When did Studio 60 get back on the air??

Comment by Brendan – March 16, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wished that one had stuck around. It had some difficulty finding it’s footing, but for me it was great television.

Lesser Sorkin > most television.

Comment by John Berggren – March 16, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Totally with you on that, can’t wait for The Newsroom to premiere this summer!

Comment by Brendan – March 16, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • although i’m super glad community is back, the fact that parks and rec is missing hurts pretty bad..

Comment by chubley – March 16, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community and BBT are my favorite shows. Obviously thet attract the same audience so simply move Community to 830. I record both them anyway.

Comment by Orange crush – March 16, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool. Cool cool cool.

Comment by MeinNJ – March 16, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope AWAKE gets renewed for a Season Two. :)

Comment by kevin – March 16, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone keeps saying “Why does NBC keep pitting Community against BBT?” Well, they have to air something in that time slot, don’t they? Prior to the hiatus/primetime schedule revamp, the other 3 Thursday night shows on NBC were doing better than Community. Should they air Parks and Rec at that time and sink its raitings? What about The Office? 30 Rock? No. You take the show with the lowest ratings already, and thereby minimize the damage that BBT does. A time slot change might help Community, yes, but it will hurt whatever show is in that slot until BBT goes away. So, be careful what you wish for.

Comment by Kim – March 16, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice ratings bump, but I was personally disappointed in the episode, especially after a four month hiatus…it should have been better than it was. While it was nice to see the gang again, where was the ~Big Concept~ that Community is famous for? The six alternate universes, the spaghetti western paintball, the D & D episode… all show a high concept approach that the new ep was strangely missing. The writing has always been a little inconsistent, but this one was entirely flat, IMO. Here’s hoping the writers get back on track, delivering “OMG” concepts that’s become Community’s trademark.

Comment by Kevin – March 16, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post