Brothers & Sisters Alum Matthew Rhys Cast Opposite Keri Russell in FX's The Americans

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Brothers & Sisters grad Matthew Rhys has landed the male lead opposite Keri Russell in FX’s The Americans, an hour-long drama pilot from Joe Weisberg (Falling Skies) and Graham Yost (Justified).

The ambitious project is set in the early ’80s and centers on two KGB spies, Phillip (Rhys) and Elizabeth (Russell), posing as married Americans in suburban Washington, DC. Despite their arranged union, the couple’s bond grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War.

Complicating their relationship further is Phillip’s growing sense of affinity for America’s values and way of life and the couple’s two children, who know nothing about their parents’ true identity.

This marks Rhys’ first major TV gig since Brothers & Sisters ended its five-year run on ABC last May.

Comments (21)

• Ooh! I like this casting news!

Comment by Slizabeth – March 16, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG it gets better and better!

Comment by Jon – March 16, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Matthew Rhys, but I I think it’s a little funny he’s playing an American character again. I thought he had a little trouble covering his accent on B&S.

Comment by George – March 16, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, he’s not playing an American character. He’s a KGB spy posing to be an American.

Comment by Sean – March 16, 2012 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually thought he did well covering his accent.

Comment by LaurenMC – March 19, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He did FABULOUS covering his accent on Brothers and Sisters. Most folks were genuinely shocked to find out about his Welsh heritage and thought he was putting on a fake Welsh accent.

Comment by Jo – March 31, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOD. This is the greatest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Matthew Rhys is my absolute favorite. Such a wonderful actor! I just hope this show lasts.

Comment by Bee – March 16, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It sounds great, but it’s only a pilot, not a guarantee it will actually make it to air, but I hope it does. I usually enjoy learning about what’s going on at the networks, but sometimes I am disappointed that pilots I am looking forward to seeing I never hear about again because it didn’t get picked up. Fingers crossed!

Comment by Melissa – March 18, 2012 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Matthew Rhys; I miss him being on my television. I hope this show turns out well.

Comment by Emma – March 16, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oloeru Tudor-Radu
    Dealul Bucium 4
    IASI, Romania
    700272

Multumesc

Comment by oloeru – March 16, 2012 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matthew Rhys’s back on my TV. All I could ask for. :D
    And with Keri, this is must watch.

Comment by Leo – March 17, 2012 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited that the ENTIRE Felicity trifecta has been cast in pilots this year! I am even more excited that Ausiello TOTALLY predicted this would happen on New Year’s and I didn’t believe it at all!

Comment by Kelly – March 17, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it! I think they will be great together.

Comment by Kristina – March 17, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news for pale-skinned curly haired people. We are underrepresented and made to feel our hair is ugly. This show has now two leads with curly hair. I hope they let their curly hair flags fly.

Comment by CurlyhairedJohn – March 17, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re kidding right?

Comment by Rob – March 17, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Huh??????????????? Matthew Rhys is gorgeous and I wish I could rake my fingers through those lucious curls.

Comment by Jo – March 31, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me miss brothers and sisters so much!! :(

Comment by Jess – March 17, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news. Matthew Rhys was the absolute best thing about Brothers and Sisters!

Comment by Linderella – March 17, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matthew Rhys’ first major TV gig since “Brothers and Sisters” is playing the lead, John Jasper, in the Masterpiece/BBC drama “The Mystery Of Edwin Drood.” It aired on the BBC in January and will air on Masterpiece on April 15.

“The Mystery of Edwin Drood” is Charles Dickens’ last & unfinished novel. A psychological thriller involving murder and John Jasper’s obsession with a 17-year-old girl.

Comment by maggie – March 17, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such great news! Looking forward to the show with two fantastic personalities. Matthew was such a steady actor in Brothers & Sisters and am so glad to have him back on screen…

Comment by kikay – March 18, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Matthew Rhys on Brothers & Sisters. I hope this show is sucessful I missed seeing him. I think he is a great Acotr and soo handsome. I’ve seen him in other movies made in London, and enjoyed them very much. Great NEWS that Matthew will be on USA tv again.

Comment by Debbie – July 11, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post