Brothers & Sisters Alum Matthew Rhys Cast Opposite Keri Russell in FX's The Americans

Brothers & Sisters grad Matthew Rhys has landed the male lead opposite Keri Russell in FX’s The Americans, an hour-long drama pilot from Joe Weisberg (Falling Skies) and Graham Yost (Justified).

The ambitious project is set in the early ’80s and centers on two KGB spies, Phillip (Rhys) and Elizabeth (Russell), posing as married Americans in suburban Washington, DC. Despite their arranged union, the couple’s bond grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War.

Complicating their relationship further is Phillip’s growing sense of affinity for America’s values and way of life and the couple’s two children, who know nothing about their parents’ true identity.

This marks Rhys’ first major TV gig since Brothers & Sisters ended its five-year run on ABC last May.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Slizabeth says:

Ooh! I like this casting news!

2. Jon says:

OMG it gets better and better!

3. George says:

I really like Matthew Rhys, but I I think it’s a little funny he’s playing an American character again. I thought he had a little trouble covering his accent on B&S.

4. Bee says:

OH MY GOD. This is the greatest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Matthew Rhys is my absolute favorite. Such a wonderful actor! I just hope this show lasts.

• Melissa says:

It sounds great, but it’s only a pilot, not a guarantee it will actually make it to air, but I hope it does. I usually enjoy learning about what’s going on at the networks, but sometimes I am disappointed that pilots I am looking forward to seeing I never hear about again because it didn’t get picked up. Fingers crossed!

5. Emma says:

I love Matthew Rhys; I miss him being on my television. I hope this show turns out well.

6. oloeru says:

Oloeru Tudor-Radu
    Dealul Bucium 4
    IASI, Romania
    700272

Multumesc

7. Leo says:

Matthew Rhys’s back on my TV. All I could ask for. :D
    And with Keri, this is must watch.

8. Kelly says:

I am so excited that the ENTIRE Felicity trifecta has been cast in pilots this year! I am even more excited that Ausiello TOTALLY predicted this would happen on New Year’s and I didn’t believe it at all!

9. Kristina says:

Love it! I think they will be great together.

10. CurlyhairedJohn says:

This is great news for pale-skinned curly haired people. We are underrepresented and made to feel our hair is ugly. This show has now two leads with curly hair. I hope they let their curly hair flags fly.

11. Jess says:

This makes me miss brothers and sisters so much!! :(

12. Linderella says:

This is great news. Matthew Rhys was the absolute best thing about Brothers and Sisters!

13. maggie says:

Matthew Rhys’ first major TV gig since “Brothers and Sisters” is playing the lead, John Jasper, in the Masterpiece/BBC drama “The Mystery Of Edwin Drood.” It aired on the BBC in January and will air on Masterpiece on April 15.

“The Mystery of Edwin Drood” is Charles Dickens’ last & unfinished novel. A psychological thriller involving murder and John Jasper’s obsession with a 17-year-old girl.

14. kikay says:

Such great news! Looking forward to the show with two fantastic personalities. Matthew was such a steady actor in Brothers & Sisters and am so glad to have him back on screen…

15. Debbie says:

I loved Matthew Rhys on Brothers & Sisters. I hope this show is sucessful I missed seeing him. I think he is a great Acotr and soo handsome. I’ve seen him in other movies made in London, and enjoyed them very much. Great NEWS that Matthew will be on USA tv again.