Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Smash, Castle, Once, Bones, Big Bang Theory, Secret Circle and More

Will Smash‘s star cross paths with He Who Shall Not Be Named? What happens when someone on Castle comes clean? Will Once Upon a Time‘s Rumpel ever find his beauty? Read on for those scoops plus other teases from TV’s hottest shows.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Trouble in Smash Paradise

Smash | I almost hated to run this question by Megan Hilty during a recent 1-on-1, but you must admit, her answer does intrigue: Will Ellis, that stealthy tattletale, ever cross into Ivy’s orbit? “We do end up having a very interesting relationship… and it’s very unexpected,” Hilty revealed. “You won’t see it coming, but when it happens… it’s one of those moments where I audibly gasped when I read it in the script!” What do you speculate, Smash fans – what sort of alliance, if any, might they form?

The Secret Circle | Now that Blackwell is roaming about, an obvious question becomes: Is there a particular person who’s more of a threat to Cassie’s dad than others? Acknowledging that “Ethan’s revealed secrets will put him and Blackwell at specific odds,” EP Andrew Miller says that it’s actually Charles, who is about to be shut out by Dawn, who “has an axe to grind with Blackwell that’s probably bigger than anybody’s. Those two guys that will really face off in the next few episodes — and it only gets worse as the season progresses.”

Team Castle Talks of the Big Hook-Up, the Father of All Mysteries, Satiny Kisses and Secrets Spilled

Castle | So this is interesting. Stana Katic had some rather specific thoughts on how Rick will react upon learning that Kate heard his “I love you,” when we spoke to her at PaleyFest. “It’s a tough pill to swallow to know that you unveiled your feelings for someone and they haven’t been able to respond to that, so it’ll be tough for a little while,” she shared. “And then it’ll be really, really good!” (Ooh, a second “really,” folks. Italicized, too!) And would Kate theoretically echo Rick’s declaration? “I think she’ll try to be brave and come forward with her feelings … because it’s been a while that they have this kind of like thing,” Katic offered. “She wants to bring a bit of closure to her feelings about him at least.” Yes, closure is good. Really, really good.

Bones | You’ve heard a lot as of late about the Fox vet’s spring premiere, airing Monday, April 2 and featuring the birth of Baby B in the midst of a freakin’ prison riot no less — but you haven’t heard this: In the long-awaited episode, Cam will catch Sweets in a very compromising position – and let’s just say it involves nudity and an odd location.

Bones Exclusive First Look: Booth and Brennan Rocked By Arrival of New ‘Team Member’

Once Upon a Time | For those disappointed that my Paley panel (watch it here!) didn’t conjure up scoop on Belle, whom we know is being held prisoner beneath the Storybrooke hospital, here’s some intel from the red carpet. “I would be disappointed if you reveal her to be in Storybrooke and you don’t show that again,” series creator Eddy Kitsis teased. “But God help whoever put her there.” Robert Carlyle was of the same mind, opining that Rumpelstiltskin and Belle “will meet again. Definitely. But probably not in fairytale land.” And as for Regina’s role in the ruse, “If he ever finds out that [she] hid her away, there’s going to be trouble for sure.”

The Big Bang Theory | Howard and Bernadette must be heading for a wedding, seeing as viewers will soon be meeting young Mr. Wolowitz’s in-laws-to-be. The CBS hitcom has a casting call out now for the roles of Mr. and Mrs. Rostenkowski, a blue-collar ex-cop and a sweet-but-formidable retired schoolteacher. Now put on your armchair casting hats, picture Bernadette/Melissa Rauch, and suggest some names! (Georgia Engel, alas, skews a bit old for the age range they’re casting, 50s/60s.)

Chuck Lorre on Big Bang‘s Big Get: ‘We’re Very Excited’ to Have Leonard Nimoy Haunt Sheldon

Private Practice | Ilaria tweeted at me, “Any Addison and Jake scoop?” I brought your to-the-point inquiry to Miss Shonda Rhimes, and all she would let loose with is this: “The Addison, Sam and Jake triangle is going to remain interesting. There are going to be surprises in store for Addison.” And in case you were wondering if Jake could be a keeper, should PP get renewed for another season, Rhimes assured me that Benjamin Bratt most definitely is on board.

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (Additional reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Larry says:

I’ve tried getting into Smash but maybe it’s a NBC thing or something but their programing is just not inspiring me to stay on that network. I guess I am still upset about them getting rid of Chuck and how thay have handled Community this year. The only show I have stayed with on this network is Community. The Jay Leno show curse still lives on for me, I guess. And regarding, Smash, it just seems too repititious and boring to me in its storytelling.

• Ben says:

I am a huge Chuck fan but struggle to see how anyone can be upset with NBC over their handling of it. On ABC or CBS it would have been dead after two seasons. Fox might have been a little better, but I wouldn’t count on it. Thank goodness for networks like NBC who every year seem to measure their renewals on both quality and ratings, not just ratings. I’m not sure why I just said that here, cos I don’t watch Smash either so it’s hardly related to this post lol.

• bp says:

So how is the Kool-Aid over there at NBC?

• LoopyChew says:

I still think NBC measures things by ratings, it’s just that they’re also playing ratings standards limbo at this point so they HAVE to preserve the shows that have earned cult audiences. Chuck, with its Subway-friendly budget, happened to be affordable enough to manage one last season so fans would stick around during otherwise dead space (hence its move to the FNDS and broadcasting new episodes through the holiday season).

Not saying NBC are the bad guys here, but I think they’re being more business-savvy than benevolent here. Maybe a mixture of both.

Don’t watch Smash myself, and still not quite sure why I’m still watching Glee.

• Donna says:

Fringe fans can only hope that Fox treats Fringe as well as NBC treated Chuck (giving it a 5th season).

• Lyla says:

NBC should’ve got rid of Chuck since season 2 rating-wise. Be grateful they even gave Chuck a wrapped last season, boo. Smash is awful because it’s awful.

• Jeri says:

I love Smash. I didn’t expect to but it is don’t miss TV for me. I DVR it but watch immediately after work the nest day.

2. Linderella says:

Matt, your scoopage on Smash, Castle, and Private Practice is scoop-a-licious! I sure hope Private Practice is still on ABC’s schedule next season! Keep the great news coming!

3. Nick says:

Mr. Rostenkowski, a blue-collar ex-cop + Howard Wolowitz’s impending fear of death = J.K. Simmons.

4. Evy says:

Anyone still doubting the latest blind item is about Castle and Beckett? I mean come on, all these hints and teasers that we’re getting lately! Fingers crossed I’m not getting my hope up for nothing..

• valezza says:

Now, I’m 90… no, 95% sure that the latest blind item IS about Caskett. Everything fits perfectly now. And it happens only in the 4th season. It took 6 years for Bones, and then look at NCIS.
      I feel a disturbance in the force…

• lacey says:

How is Caskett an unrequited love story? The will they/won’t they couple dynamic is not about unrequited love but keeping fans glued to their tv to watch the constant back and forth.

5. Karen says:

Matt you have just killed the castle fandom with that spoiler i cant wait

6. jennifer says:

I am thinking Fred Dryer aka Hunter as bernadettes dad on big bang.

• Templar says:

I’m thinking Fran Drescher [The Nanny] as Bernadette’s mom. That would explain the voice. And since Bernadette is diminutive, I see Michael Delouise [ TJ on Gilmore Girls- Luke's brother-in-law] as Bernadette’s dad.

7. Ky says:

If you are toying with us regarding Castle, I will HUNT YOU DOWN. That news just made my day. Week. Year.

Shut up! I have no life.

8. fernando says:

I still love Private Practice after 5 years I hope we get a season 6, I’ll choose PP over GA any day, But please give Addison a baby already

I am loving smash and I am hoping to see many allies, I love tom and Juila stick together but I want to see more of Ellis and Eileen and I hope Ivy joins them that be a wonderful triple alliance and I want to see more of Karen and Derreck together.

9. Janell says:

Oh Sweets lol

10. Naanati says:

About the Castle scoop, it’s “at last”, or “at least”? I’m just asking, because it changes the meaning of the sentence just a little bit. I hope it’s “at last”.

11. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

On TSC, Charles hates Blackwell because he’s really Diana’s father, right? Making Diana the long-lost Blackwell sib to Cassie. Drats. Was hoping it would be Faye.

• Luz says:

I also want Diana to be the other Blackwell child! But the reason that Charles and Jhon Blackwell hate each other might be also the fact that Charles KILLED Cassie’s mom.

12. m says:

Grinning like an IDIOT over that Castle scoop. Oh, I have such high hopes for the rest of this season! :-D

13. CC says:

WOW that Castle spoiler is epic!

14. Amy says:

I think you may have meant Cam finds Sweets in a compromising situation

15. Liz says:

Matt can you and Ausiello host all Paley panels… TV Guide and Variety do not know how to moderate a panel!

16. CastleLover says:

So it looks like that on Castle, Kate will tell Castle her secret, he will ask for some time apart to deal with it, which will occur during the Adam Baldwin episode, 4×21 “Headhunters”, that is filming now. They make up and reconcile at the end of that episode and are somewhat together romantically for 4×22 and 4×23 until Castle’s secret comes out and blows the whole thing up and cue yet another summer apart for Castle and Beckett. So predictable…..sigh.

• Sarah says:

I have more faith in the writers then that. Besides, I was very surprised at how Kate’s secret came out! Also Marlowe did promise that the secrets would be out before they got together. My guess is in 4×20, they’ll have a big fight, then Castle’s secret will come out. Then the next couple episodes, they’ll work to patch up their relationship and finally get together.

Was that too hopeful?

17. Leslie says:

Debra Jo Rupp would be perfect as Bernadette’s mom. And while Big Bang Theory is not That 70s Show, Kurtwood Smith would be good as her father too.

18. Tracy says:

On TBBT, I could totally see Debra Jo Rupp as Bernadette’s mom!

19. yours truly says:

Georgia Engel – not Georgette.

20. Anon says:

Oh yes! Can’t wait to see what Charles has got brewing now that Blackwell is back and he’s taking Dawn from him. Gale Harold is about to be kicking some butt once more now that he’s plotting against Blackwell starting in tonight’s episode!! Can’t wait. :)

21. Rachael says:

Castle – AAGGHH!!!! I am on pins and needles waiting to see how this all goes down … I mean with all these spoilers it’s starting to become clear how it’ll play out, but I need to SEE IT …

22. z. says:

Matt, i would just like to say that i loved you at the OUAT Paleyfest. You were very good and funny!

23. Waage says:

Please cast James Gandolfini as Bernadettes dad…

24. ducdebrabant says:

Re. The Secret Circle, who are “these two guys”? Dawn and Blackwell? Dawn and Charles? Charles and Blackwell? I know it’s a quote, but couldn’t you have asked Andrew Miller to clarify his pronouns?

25. I'd Hate To Be Gerard says:

While Big Bang is on a casting roll, can we please ask Nikki Valko to cast someone else as Sheldon’s co-signee of The Relationship Agreement? Her 2-season long (and freaking tedious) robotic creepiness aside, Mayim Bialik makes the already youthful-looking Jim Parsons look like he’s still teething. Well, Amy did call Sheldon a ‘sexy toddler,’ so maybe she’s aware that she looks like his obnoxious aunt. We get it, writers, Sheldon isn’t into looks and the dowdiest chick can get the six-foot-two cutest nerd, yada yada yada. Now let’s get real and find Sheldon someone he actually deserves: not necessarily a bombshell, but at least a likeable little thing who won’t always take advantage of his sweet innocence by running for her electric toothbrush. Better yet, bring him back to his unique asexual self that made him one of the most unique characters on TV to begin with.

26. Ellie says:

Yes to NYPD vet. I was thinking Bernadette Peters for mommy dearest! But I think she might have a too big personality

• Sydney says:

My casting thought exactly! I think it’s their voices…and the fact that actress and character share a name.

27. Sg.Grant says:

Dennis Leary as her dad.

28. Becca says:

I can’t wait until Mr. Gold finds ot about Belle being locked up! They are my favorite couple on the show. It’s amazing with just one episode I’m more emotionally attached to them then I have ever been with Snow(Mary)/Charming(David).

29. Brenna says:

Thanks so much for the ouat scoop!!! Rump and belle are my fav :)

30. RumpleBelleFan says:

Yay! So glad for more RumBelle. I’m sure their reunion will be epic!

Thanks Matt, you’re awesome!

31. Jamie says:

Thanks Matt for the Addison scoop. Surprises (for Addison)!? That is an interesting word choice. I wonder if she finds out she is pregnant.

32. Mari says:

OH EME GEEE I’m dyinggg with the Castle spoiler!! Finally!

33. socalgal says:

Bones’s Cam used to have a sweet boyfriend–what happened?

34. dukeroberts says:

I prefer the romantic tension and forced platonic relationship of Castle and Becket. If they get together the show will go downhill, like fast. “Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.” We have seen this far too often in TV history. Fans have longed for a certain couple (Sam and Diane, David and Maddie, Ross and Rachel, etc.) to get together. They do. The sparks fizzle and the show is never as good as it was before.

• Alex says:

the problem is that Castle and Beckett already act like a married couple without the sex, so going forward is the only direction left

35. Michael Sacal says:

The last episode of Castle will end with him getting shot and her telling him that she loves him. To be continued next season…

36. mthpe says:

But Georgia Engel is 63! She would be perfect for the role of Bernadette’s Mom. She can be seen on reruns of the Mary Tyler Moore show in case anyone wants to see her in action.

37. Titina says:

I LOVE Smash.

That spoiler about Ivy and Ellis is really intriguing. I have absolutely no idea what they are up to. But maybe he is helping Ivy spy on Derek and Karen…? Just a thought.

38. davidsask says:

Addison give her a damn baby already on PP it’s so annoying and taking over the show, not to mention please also dump her talking to her therapist that trend need to die on all shows asap!!!

39. Patti says:

You rocked as the host of OUAT’s panel. LOVE LOVE the OUAT scoop. Emilie de Ravin rocks and her chemistry with RC is the best. Can’t wait for Gold and Belle.

40. brian1 says:

Can I second JAMES GANDOLFINI as Bernadette’s dad?? Can they just go directly to him with an offer?? He would be UNBELIEVABLE. That or the former dad from Everwood, Treat Williams, who might also be interesting…

41. Audrey says:

I think Castle season finale will be the end of me. *thuds*

42. Laurel says:

BBT should stick w/ the “Roseanne” connections and cast Ms. Barr herself as Bernadette’s dad. Remember the blind date where Penny fixed them up? They had NOTHING in common until they started discussing Mom’s: “Does your mother lay out your clothes every morning like you’re 6 years old?” “you live w/ your mom too?” “No!” Too bad wallace Shawn is too old for Dad…

43. Jay says:

Yay, The Secret Circle!

44. Rob R says:

Matt– Georgia Engel is only 63 years old! (She was made up to look older on “The Office” recently. She would be perfect as Bernadette’s mother. It makes sense that the mother of a 30 year old would be 63.

45. Catherine says:

Thank you for the OUAT scoop! The PaleyFest panel was very well done, but I was disappointed about the lack of Belle info. This makes me soooo happy. <3

46. SoFla says:

Carole Kane for Bernadette’s mom on TBBT. She has been one of my favorites since she played “Candy” in “Pandemonium” all those years ago. She would be perfect as Bernadette’s mother IMO.

47. John McCutcheon says:

My hope is that when they finally start doing it, Beckett teases Castle at work about how much she rocked his world the night before. For instance say they are about to interrogate some suspect, she should say something like I’ll make him scream like I did you last night ;) Or maybe they are arresting somebody and she mentions how she forgot she had used them on Castle the night before. Just to watch Castle squirm, it would be funny. Or she could make little comments to Castle once she knows some of his turn-ons. Could make for some funny stuff.

48. kirads09 says:

“But God help whoever put her there. Robert Carlyle was of the same mind, opining that Rumpelstiltskin and Belle “will meet again. Definitely. But probably not in fairytale land.” And as for Regina’s role in the ruse, “If he ever finds out that [she] hid her away, there’s going to be trouble for sure.”

Holy Cow. Just thinking of that moment gives me shivers. Forgive me for inserting a much overused word. But when Rumple discovers the Queen has held Belle all this time – that confrontation is going to be nothing short of EPIC. As Regina said, Mr. Gold makes a powerful ally, but also a superlative enemy.

49. Lauren says:

Regarding TSC….Charles vs. John CANNOT WAIT!