Walking Dead’s Michael Zegen Eulogizes [Spoiler]

After last week’s episode of The Walking Dead, the chatter about [SPOILER]’s demise was so loud, it could’ve woken the dead! But another character was killed off, too — our heroes’ hostage, Randall, played by Michael Zegen (who you most likely remember as Denis Leary’s nephew on Rescue Me or know as Bugsy Siegel on Boardwalk Empire). Isn’t it about time he was given his due? TVLine thought so, too. Hence, this Q&A with the dearly departed.

TVLINE | How big a bummer is it that you bit the dust The Walking Dead, but all the attention has been on Shane’s passing?
[Laughs] Yeah, well, Shane was a much bigger character. [But] I’ve read a lot of the stuff online, and a lot of people are very unhappy about Randall’s demise. [So] I think I did my job.

TVLINE | If the group had let Randall go, do you think he would have sought revenge?
I don’t know! I was told a lot of different things during the filming process, and it didn’t end up the way it was supposed to. I kind of have to leave it at that.

TVLINE | Do you think Randall ultimately had good intentions?
I think he just fell in with the wrong crowd. Everybody was dying around him, and he somehow linked up with this group who probably had a few rapists and killers among them. And it was really that he had to join them to survive.

The Walking Dead: Scoop on Sunday’s Season 2 Finale!

TVLINE | Did you know going in that Randall was going to be killed?
Yeah. I tried my best to persuade them to keep Randall around, but unfortunately, it wasn’t meant to be… I didn’t want to leave. I loved working on that show. I loved the people involved; I loved the crew.

TVLINE | We didn’t even see how Shane killed him. They were just kind of walking together, and then we heard twigs cracking…
Those twigs cracking were his neck bones cracking. [Laughs] I’m not quite sure why they did it that way, but I didn’t have any complaints, ’cause my neck was still sore from my scene with Norman Reedus (Daryl).

TVLINE | What was it like shooting those last scenes with Jon?
It was emotional for him. As much as I wanted to stay, I think he wanted to stay twice as much, so I can’t even imagine how he must have felt.

TVLINE | Are you glad you got to at least play a zombie before you left?
Of course! Like I said to AMC, I got the full Walking Dead experience. I got to play a survivor, I got to kill a zombie, and then I got to turn into a zombie. It was great.

TVLINE | Any predictions about Sunday’s finale?
I think some people are gonna die! [Laughs]

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews

1. Taylor says:

it sounds like there was an original idea for the character that was changed with the regime. interesting.

he sounds like a really nice guy, and I hope things work out for him.

2. team randall says:

TEAM RANDALL! Michael Zegen is a really gifted actor. I think he should be the lead of a show

3. Mik says:

I liked Randall too. I didn’t think he was gonna get killed off, because it was Dale’s last wish before he died to keep the young man alive.

And about the last scene between Shane and Rick, it was sooo intense. I remember Ausiello saying a major charactor was gonna die in that blind item and I was afraid it might be Rick. Luckily he survived and Shane died.

I think T-Dog and Herschel might be in danger next week of getting killed. I hope Andrea and Glen survives, but hopefully the producers don’t kill off three main characters in three episodes.

Already looking forward to season 3 and buying season 2 on DVD!

• davey says:

Just kill T-Dog off now – what a damn waste of a character. The most underused character on any show on TV

• xavesxx says:

Damn waste of a character? The most underused character on any TV show? At least he kills zombies, what does Carol do!?

4. austen. says:

I like this kid. I thought he did a very good job as Randall (whose intentions were unclear), so props to him!

5. Jackson says:

[spoilers for this episode and the comic below] I think they killed him off camera like that so we wouldn’t be sure if he just got knocked out then later bitten. Daryl checking him for wounds and finding none brought the idea that everyone’s already infected to the front of our minds, and Shane popping up after Rick iced him confirmed it. I agree it was confusing, but I think it was deliberately so.

Despite preferring the show to the comic in general (they’re both awesome), I still liked Rick figuring it out and going back to destroy Shane’s brain in the comic better, because it showed loyalty and regret even after Shane showed his true, crazy colors. Also liked the effect on Carl’s character that killing Shane had. Show’s still (the tiniest bit) better.

6. RIP Randall says:

Zegen’s a pretty good actor, shame he got killed off early. It would’ve been interesting to have had him stay on in the group.

7. Rod says:

They’ll kill off T-Dawg and one of Hershel’s daughters, probably Beth. If Michonne is truly coming and the prison is on the horizon after this zombie horde rolls through the farm, they’ll need space for new cast members. I could see them killing Daryl too, since he’s a fan favorite and AMC likes messing with its viewers.

I kinda wish the show would’ve followed the comics more closely. There are some really good stories in there. Tyrese and Carol, Tyrese and Michonne, Carl and Sophie(as friends of course, too bad she’s dead).

Love this show!! Hope it starts back up in October!

8. The Squatch says:

I’ve mentioned before that I think T-Dog was pretty much supposed to be a replacement for the Tyrese character. Honestly though, T-Dog couldn’t even hold Tyrese’s hammer…

9. Sydney says:

I’ma be honest here, I cried when Randall died. rofl

10. Stina says:

Did you see his interview on the Talking Dead? He was horrible..poor Chris Harrison did his best. He made me uncomfortable watching it.

• tripoli says:

I thought the same thing! It was painful. Not a good interview and I didn’t think all that much of his acting either. Although there wasn’t much of that to judge. Perhaps if he’d stuck around I’d think differently.

• Rebecca says:

It’s Chris Hardwick. Unless you were watching the bachelor with chris harrison.

• Sydney says:

uhhh he was probably nervous, it was a live show.

11. Melissa says:

I loved Randall. I think Michael Zegen did a wonderful job, and he earned a fan in me.

It’s also a bonus that he is a big cutie.

And I thought he was great on the Talking Dead, he’d probably have had a lot more to say if Kevin Smith didn’t keep rambling on.

12. gary says:

They can not kill Rick until the end of the show. If u pay attention..its obvious he is immune to this virus due to the fact he was in a coma. I could be wrong.

13. Char says:

I know right? Randall was most likely just an innocent kid that was in the wrong crowd. I wish the writers would have just made Randall get loose from Shane and have Randall wandering in the woods until Daryl and Glenn found him “almost” dead.

• Phameno says:

I can’t really help feeling sorry for Randall. Through out the past few episodes, He’s been accused of rather alot of things he may or may not have done, most probably the latter. After all, he’s only really a child; and makes it known he joined his group so he could survive, and although he’s probably not perfect, I agree with Dale in the fact they were being inhumane. I realise in the recent episodes the group agreed to let him go, with provisions and weaponry. But unfortunately Shane wasn’t too keen on the idea *-.-. A talented actor X)

14. Mike says:

I hope this show shapes up to be a Heaven vs Hell type of deal. Alot more interesting then an infection. Rick as the chosen one who ultimately sacrifices everything to save humanity. Michonne comes in as the warrior from God who secretly sent to protect Rick. Something like Stephen Kings The Stand

15. SG says:

Would have been nice if they kept this character around a bit longer. It was a good one because it was difficult to tell if he was really just a nice kid who’d happened to find himself with a rough crowd, or if he’d always be looking for an opportunity to betray the group and lead them into the clutches of his old gang or other peril. Seemed like there was good material to explore here.

16. Yessica says:

God!! I love that photo!!!!!!

• Joe says:

I completely agree, I think Randall’s Death was a complete waste of material. As a character I always had to speculate what his intentions were and if he was just a desperate survivor or if he could genuinely develop loyalties to Rick’s group. I guess we’ll never know now that Shane took his life. Unless of course they give him a few webisodes that detail his life as the apocalypse occurs; may give us a lot of insight into his character and how he ended up in that group.

All in all though Michael Zegen did a great job.

17. Phameno says:

I can’t really help feeling sorry for Randall. Through out the past few episodes, He’s been accused of rather alot of things he may or may not have done, most probably the latter. After all, he’s only really a child; and makes it known he joined his group so he could survive, and although he’s probably not perfect, I agree with Dale in the fact they were being inhumane. I realise in the recent episodes the group agreed to let him go, with provisions and weaponry. But unfortunately Shane wasn’t too keen on the idea *-.-. It might just be me though. I have a pet hate for things in programs like what happened to Randall. That’s why I hate the SAW series. XD Can’t wait for season 3. R.I.P Randall.

18. SG says: