TVLine Items: Comedy Central Nabs Community, Scrubs Vet Heads to Burn Notice and More!

CommunityCommunity is coming to Comedy Central!

The cable net has acquired off-network rights to the first three seasons of NBC’s underdog comedy, which — at last! — returns to the Peacock’s airwaves this Thursday at 8/7c. The Greendale Gang will debut on Comedy Central fall 2013.

Spoiler Alert!: Joel McHale and Alison Brie Reveal Community’s Most Shocking Hook-Up Ever!

“Within the chaos of the current media landscape we are fortunate that we live in a timeline where Community comes to Comedy Central,” said David Bernath, the network’s executive vice president of program strategy & multiplatform programming. “Our staff is celebrating with a game of paintball in the offices today.”

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Scrubs alum John C. McGinley has landed a recurring role on Season 6 of USA Network’s Burn Notice, Huffpost TV reports. McGinley will first appear in Episode 2 as Tom Card, the CIA training officer who taught Michael everything he knows. Taryn Manning (Hawaii Five-0, Sons of Anarchy) also guest stars as a prisoner alongside Fiona.

* Save The Date: ABC has announced that the 2013 Academy Awards will air on Sunday, February 24.

• Sharon Lawrence (NYPD Blue, Drop Dead Diva, One Tree Hill) is adding another TV mom to her resume. The actress will play the biological mother of Sasha Alexander’s character on Rizzoli & Isles in two episodes of the upcoming third season, per TVGuide.com.

Revenge Troublemaker Joins Luck

• The HBO drama Luck has temporarily suspended the use of horses during production on Season 2 following the injury and euthanization of a horse, per The Hollywood Reporter. It is the third such animal to be put down during filming of the series. Meanwhile, Danish actor Carsten Norgaard (The Three Musketeers) has landed a recurring role on the second season, reports THR. He will play a powerful Russian businessman who negotiates a deal between Dustin Hoffman’s Ace Bernstein and Michael Gambon’s Michael Smythe.

• Latin TV star and singer Carlos Ponce — who’s appeared on Lipstick Jungle and 7th Heaven — will star in Nick at Nite’s upcoming daily drama Hollywood Heights as the lead character’s father, per EW.com.

• Shane McRae (The Help, Four Kings) will play the lead in Syfy’s two-hour pilot Rewind. The action thriller revolves around military field operatives and civilian scientists who use untested technology to travel back in time to avoid a devastating terrorist attack.

Dexter Vets Julie Benz and Jaime Murray to Reunite on New Syfy Series Defiance

• E! will premiere the new reality series Mrs. Eastwood & Company on May 20. The program follows the lives of Dina Eastwood — wife of Clint Eastwood — their two teenage daughters, and the six-member, all male South African vocal group managed by Dina.

• Nickelodeon has given a 26-episode order to the comedy Marvin, starring Fred web star Lucas Cruikshank as an alien teen living with a human family, Deadline reports.

• Spike TV has ordered the hour-long pilot Tattoo Rescue about tats expert Joey Germinario and his team, who travel the country transforming failing tattoo studios, per The Hollywood Reporter.

• Brantley Gilbert, Hunter Hayes and Scotty McCreery have been added to the lineup of performers at the ACM Fan Jam, which will be broadcast during the 47th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards on CBS on April 1.

• History Channel has ordered its first scripted series, Vikings, from executive producer Michael Hirst (The Tudors, Camelot). The period piece — slated to premiere in 2013 — will follow the adventures of Norse hero Ragnar Lothbrock as he rises to head of the Viking tribes.

• The seven programs receiving Television Academy Honors for using the power of TV to create positive social change are Dr. Oz, Lifetime’s Five, the Harry’s Law episode “Head Games,” HBO’s Hot Coffee, Men of a Certain Age‘s “Let the Sunshine In,” Rescue Me‘s “344” and PBS’ Women, War & Peace.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. ggny says:

History channel getting into scripted shows sounds f’n awesome

• darkdefender85 says:

I am actually shocked History’s first scripted series isn’t about aliens. That seems to be the only “History” they show these days…

2. aleksa says:

Not that I am by any means complaining, but I thought a show had to have four seasons before syndication.

• Kate says:

I think it’s generally 100 episodes, but I don’t know that it’s a hard and fast rule. I think Modern Family’s syndication rights were sold in its first or second season even though it won’t reach the episode threshold for awhile. I think it’s actually a pretty good sign that NBC will keep the show. In the interview with Joel and Alison Brie on here last week he mentioned that Community sells like crazy overseas. Also Dan Harmon has mentioned that his vision for the show would take 4 seasons, so I think knowing there is an endgame NBC might hold on.

3. Winnie says:

I love the wording by the Comedy Central programming exec – sounds like a fan! Comedy Central is how I got into Scrubs and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (with a little bit of help from Ausiello on the former) which brought my viewership to the new episodes on their respective networks. I imagine it would do a lot of the same for Community.

4. darkdefender85 says:

- Nickelodeon has given a 26-episode order to the comedy Marvin, starring Fred web star Lucas Cruikshank as an alien teen living with a human family, Deadline reports.

So Nick is reviving The Journey of Allen Strange?

5. Carmichael says:

Yay for the news about Community but
    ~
    >• Brantley Gilbert, Hunter Hayes and Scotty McCreery
    ~
    The fact I know not who any of those people are shows how little I know about modern pop “country”

6. Anne says:

Hmm, Syfy’s Rewind sounds a lot like the old show 7 Days. I’m intrigued.

P.S. Yay for Community syndication on Comedy Central! #SixSeasonsAndAMovie

7. Mark says:

SyFy’s Rewind: doesn’t this sound an awful lot like the late 90s series called “Seven Days” starring Jonathan LaPaglia?

8. Little Scarf Girl says:

So glad for Community! That is a positive sign towards them getting another season.

9. Josh says:

Yes, this will bode well for renewal! AND for making get more eyes on the show!

10. ScooterBugDaddy says:

So, Sharon Lawrence (born 1961) will play the biological mother of Sasha Alexander (born 1973) on R&I.

Seems like big sister would be a better fit, no?

11. The Squatch says:

You don’t often see an announcement about a Nickelodeon show, so that was nice. I have a question then: Does anyone know if they will continue to make iCarly? I know I heard somewhere that the young lady who plays Carly was going to start college soon, so I just wondered if there was any news? My nieces and nephews love that show, as well as one called Victorious. I admit, I even enjoy them whenever I catch them over at my sister’s house sometimes, and I am… uhh… not a teenager. heh

12. Amber says:

Great news for Community!

So John McGinley is going to be on Burn Notice…I think that is a great idea! He’ll fit in well there. I always thought he had kind of a Bruce Campbell thing going on. In fact, I used to mix them up before I got to know them. Not sure if it’s similar bone structure in the faces or a similar way of carrying themselves that I see. I can’t wait to see them do scenes together.

13. gaby says:

Yay for Community!

On another note, that tatoo show sounds like a rip off of Tabathat Takes Over

14. Will says:

Hooray for positive social change! With so much dark and negative shows we need more positive programming on tv, IMO.

15. Thank you, I have just been searching for info about this subject for a while and yours
    is the greatest I have found out so far.
    But, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you positive
    in regards to the supply?