White Collar Makes Tracks for Sunny [Spoiler] in Season 4 - Plus, Who's Hunting Neal?

As if USA Network’s White Collar couldn’t get any hotter, given last week’s game-changing finale, just wait until the Season 4 premiere moves the action to sunny, lush Puerto Rico.

TVLine has learned that production on new episodes starts Monday in the commonwealth, which will be “posing as” a yet-to-be-determined remote locale.

White Collar Exclusive: Alias Alumna Mía Maestro Cast as [Spoiler]

The location shoot makes sense given 1) on-the-lam Neal boarding a plane at Season 3’s end, and 2) series creator Jeff Eastin telling us that the Season 4 opener “won’t take place on American soil,” but rather at the idyllic island where Neal now hangs his fedora.

Alas, it won’t be all umbrella drinks and sun-baked babes for the charming con and his best bud Mozzie. As the Inside Line told you last week, the federal government’s No. 1 manhunter is on Neal’s trail, and he will be played in the first two episodes by Mekhi Phifer (Lie to Me), EW.com reports.

EW.com also says that character actor Gregg Henry (NCIS: LA, Gilmore Girls) will take part in the opening episodes, playing a wealthy and mysterious local who will help Neal and Mozz lay low.

1. marcee says:

Is that even a picture of Mekhi Phifer? If so, AWFUL. But yay on the hotness of White Collar in Puerto Rico!

• Cup of Joe says:

Dang! Last time I saw Mekhi was with Brandy and Jenn Love Hewitt in I Know What You Did Last Summer. He got old!

• tvfan says:

I agree, that picture dos not look like Mekhi. The hairline looks like his, but I am sure his publicist could find 1000’s of better pictures.

2. CMG says:

I just hope Mekhi Phifer does better on White Collar than he did on Torchwood: Miracle Day. He was AWFUL there. (To be fair, so was everyone else on that show.)

• Boston2AZ says:

OMG – he absolutely RUINED Torchwood! And now he’s on White Collar? Looks like I’m going to have to skip the first two episodes. Who is it that keeps hiring this guy????

3. Barb says:

@CMG
    I’m just pretending Torchwood:Miracle Day never happened (one of the worst shows ever). I’d rather have Peter following Neal but…

4. Leigh Ann says:

I have been a fan from day 1. Meet with a friend JUST to watch W.C. I want to continue, because I LOVE THIS SHOW, but when it picked back up in January, and only ran for 6 weeks? So disappointing. It makes no sense to me. Fall in love with a show, watch a few weeks, then be told, “Wait til July?” It wasn’t like that the first year. I love White Collar, but they are going to lose viewers if this keeps up.

5. cairi says:

I’m probably one of the few people a little wary about the direction the show went in the finale. In my most pessimistic moments, I hear a voice whispering the dread phrase, “Jumped the shark,” though I really don’t think it’s that dire, and for most folks, the plot twist is great and I get that. But I’ve always watched it first and foremost for the bromance between Peter and Neal, and it’s kinda hard for them to engage in much banter with Neal on the lam. I’m sure this new arc will be great drama, but for me…meh. It will be missing an element I loved and that dims my enthusiasm for the show for the first time ever, though I’m trying to keep an open mind. So to that end, I’m still looking forward to the 4th season. Mozzie and Neal are always fun though not as fun as Mozzie, Neal and Peter–yes, I’m hopeless.

• Taylor says:

I’m with you cairi — the heart of the show is the ebb and flow and stresses on the trust bond between Peter and Neal. I hope the writers don’t get too far from that. I can’t imagine the show with the two of them on different continents. The fact Neal and Mozzie are still together helps, but still, I’m a firm believer in the “if it ain’t broke” school of plot development. BTW, I don’t follow award shows much, but I don’t recall WC getting any – the scripts and acting on this show seem so far above the regular TV schtick — I wonder why the lack of recognition??

• Villa1000 says:

I can say for certain that Peter is going to be at the island with Neal since a friend of mine is an extra and was filming today alongside Peter…so the heart of the show is still on!!

6. Tori says:

That’s how USA shows are and some other cable shows. Season 1 didn’t to it but Season 2 did it made us wait from Sept. to Jan. as well. This is nothing new especially if you watched Monk, Psych, Royal Pains. Usually the first season they go straight but they also have a couple episodes less. I am probably in the minority here but I kind of like it. I would rather have it this way than say Justified, which usually airs all their episodes together then you have to wait 8 or 9 months to start again.

7. Suzto says:

I was hoping see Peter track him down. I suppose he could also be looking so he can help him, but I like the fact that Peter is the only one who can catch him. Can’t wait till June to see what the White Collar writers come up with for season 4!

• kikigos says:

I’m hoping Jeff & Co. will give the fans a great season. After all, third seasons are notorious for suffering a drop in quality, and Ss 1 and 2 were hard to match.

Also, I think the show’s fans tend to be very loyal and very committed. That’s a good thing, but it has its downside. I know I have watched some eps 15 or 20 times. When you subject any tv show to microscopic scrutiny and group discussion, flaws are bound to show up. (There are plenty in the first season, too, even in the pilot, still my favorite episode. But the show was just so GOOD that I didn’t notice the flaws much then.) My point is that by Season 3, we fans had come to expect consistent excellence. Many of us had developed favorite views and interpretations of canon, views that J & C sometimes perversely ignored. Flaws seemed magnified.

Mind you, I was right there complaining my head off when things didn’t suit me in Season 3. But maybe I need to rethink that attitude. Maybe I need to give Jeff & Co. as good a season 4 as I hope they’ll give me, and see what comes of it.

8. LuckYM3 says:

OMG!!! I’ve been staying in puerto rico for the past few days and passed Mekhi in the damn lobby… he was headed for the casino of course… I wished I had stopped to speak, but he just nodded. Of course my nosey self had to follow to take it all in. The last time I saw him was when he was smoking outside.