Once Upon a Time First Look: The Tale of Red Riding Hood Goes to a 'Dark Place'

ABC’s Once Upon a Time is going to the dark, scary woods this Sunday at 8/7c, to tell the story of Red Riding Hood — and we’ve got a sneak peek at the revealing (and bloody!) hour.

Like most of the heroines in the fairytale world, Red is hopelessly in love. Alas, she and her blacksmith beau can’t run away together because Red is trapped in Granny’s house by the Big Bad Wolf.

With a murderous beast on a killing spree, the episode is “going to get to a dark place,” executive producer Eddy Kitsis previews. What’s more, fellow EP Adam Horowitz promises that “we’ll learn who the Big Bad Wolf is.”

Scoop: Once Upon a Time Sends Prince Charming and Rumpelstiltskin to [Spoiler]

Meanwhile, after being recently released by the Huntsman, Snow White meets cute with Red, who helps the the fair-skinned beauty become the successful bandit we saw earlier this season. “There’s a scene where Red teaches her how to track,” reveals Kitsis.

Also adding to the episode’s darkness is the situation surrounding Kathryn’s disappearance. “We’re going to learn some interesting stuff” on that front, teases Kitsis.

Check out the videos below and then hit the comments with your thoughts and theories on the identity of the Big Bad Wolf.

Loading video...
Loading video...
Loading video...

1. JO! says:

That guy in the front in Granny’s door was looking suspicious.

2. Templar says:

I’m guessing Kathryn is in the same cell block as Belle. As for The Wolf, I’d say Dr. Whale as he’s always ogling Ruby.

• AJ says:

The creators of the show said we would not find out the fairytale identity of Dr. Whale in season 1, so that rules him out as the wolf. I was also thinking it him though.

• wordsmith says:

I’d be inclined to agree re: Dr. Whale, except I think they’ve already said we don’t find out about him this season. Unless that was a straight-up lie…

3. So is Red seeing Peter Wolf?? Is she off to kill the man she loves? hmmm… this could get verrrryyy interesting!

4. JaxH says:

Rife with innuendo-love it! >^,,^<

5. Lambsilencer says:

Finally the backstory of Red, which gives the adorable Meghan Ory the screen time she deserves. She was put too much into the back of the storylines lately. Looking forward to it.

6. Trista says:

SQUEEEEL – I am loving this show. There is still so much to discover and plenty of stories to tell!!!!

7. Jenna95 says:

I have the crazy theory that Red is actually the Big Bad Wolf. Didn’t watch the clips up top so no idea if they said anything to dispute that, but wouldn’t it be crazy if she had this like split personality type thing and she was the one doing all the killing?

• Riley says:

I was just about to post that idea too! It makes sense given her personality type in the modern day. It makes sense for the wolf to be a werewolf, and it being Red would be a great twist in the story.

8. Kristen says:

I too am afraid she is off to kill her love. There has to be a reason they aren’t together… but who is he in storybrooke land?

9. Carmichael says:

I swear to the FSM if they use this episode to kill off Red/Ruby I’m not going to be very happy.

10. WalkingDeader says:

Looks to me like Granny’s awful defensive of the wolf – perhaps Granny is the wolf?

11. bigdog5758 says:

My theory for the Big Bad Wolf has always been the tow truck driver guy I think named Billy. Don’t know why it just something I have always thought.

12. Andrew Cowen says:

Anyone remember Billy the Mechanic from “The Price of Gold” (the guy who almost broke Ruby’s wolf ornament?)? He’s my best bet for being either the Big Bad Wolf or Red’s love interest Peter in this week’s episode. Originally, I thought it would be Dr. Whale, but the creators shot down that theory when they stated we wouldn’t be learning his fairy tale identity until the next season (although he’s due to make an appearance in this Sunday’s episode in Storybrooke).

13. pv says:

I’m getting a bit tired of these ridiculous love stories. Why does every female character need to be “hopelessly in love” and questing for it. I get its Disney and fairytales, but COME ON.

Every week its just starcrossed lovers and patronizing cotton candy about ‘true loves first kiss’.

It wouldn’t hurt the show to be a little more creative, a little darker, and a little more contemporary with these story lines.

• Raychill says:

Emma doesn’t have a love story!

• Lala says:

Dude now way, she and Regina are SO into each other.

• Doc says:

As out of left field as that may sound to some…. the novel “Emma” by Jane Austen, through which many believe that OUAT is a reworking of, features an unaware bisexual or lesbian main character named Emma….. and back at the sink hole there was a moment I swear they were about to kiss…. was that a hint? Emma has been dubbed the “Savior” and ultimately they are all there because of Regina…
          What do you think?… Does Disney have the stones to go there?
          “We shall see, my Dearies”

• Kris says:

Doc, I think you really need to reread Emma and reevaluate your interpretation of Emma’s character. Also the “proof” that the few people who believe OUAT is a reworking of Emma have is very stretched and unbelievable. They are mostly relying on the fact that both have a character named Emma.

14. bluebonnetbelle says:

Peter and the Wolf…maybe Red is the wolf. I enjoyed the twist of Rumple being the beast so maybe this would work too.

15. cynic says:

for some reason i think the wolf might be that new guy in town… there’s something sinister about him

16. Liz says:

According to the legend, Bigsby wolf is just that, a wolf that isn’t related to Red or anyone, but there was a recent movie with Amanda Sefried(sp?): It says online that they suspect Peter is the wolf, but it is Red’s father. Interesting.

17. Nbs says:

I also think Ruby/Red riding hood is the wolf. I’m basing this on the wolf ornament in her car. The wolf ornament was partially coloured red. Only the legs, tail and snout are not red.