Scoop: Terra Nova Stud Cast Opposite Kristin Kreuk in The CW's Beauty and the Beast Pilot

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Jay Ryan Beauty and the BeastKristin Kreuk, meet your new TV soul mate.

New Zealand actor Jay Ryan, who played the Terra Nova security guard who was famously banished for murdering a fellow colony member, has landed the male lead opposite Kreuk in Beauty and the Beast, The CW’s reboot of the classic ’80s series that ran on CBS from 1987 to 1990 and starred Ron Perlman as the mythic man beast and Linda Hamilton as the object of his affection.

The CW version, written and exec produced by Without a Trace vet Jennifer Levin and Brothers & Sisters‘ Sherri Cooper, will add a contemporized procedural twist.

Reminder: This B&B is not to be confused with the B&B pilot that ABC is developing for next season. That one is based on the public domain fairy tale about a girl forced to live in a castle with a beast who eventually wins her heart.

Comments (64)

• Are they both going to be called Beauty and the Beast? That seems confusing.

Comment by Kat – March 2, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It really does! I get confused reading about them.

Comment by V – March 2, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? How dumb ARE you? There are two shows, A and B. You can’t keep two things separate? The ABC version will suck, and The CW version will be a hit. Case closed. Yeesh.

Comment by Jason – March 2, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thats why the CW’s Ringer was a hit and ABC’s Revenge was a flop, right?

Comment by Adrian – March 2, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Jason. A hit on the CW? How dumb are YOU?

Comment by Judy – March 2, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Uhmmm…ever heard of a little show called The Vampire Diaries?

Comment by Sloan – March 3, 2012 03:52 AM PDT
  • I loved him on Sea Patrol.

Comment by xav – March 2, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!! Love Sea Patrol & will be watching just to check him out ;)

Comment by Jen – March 2, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad some other people mentioned him from Sea Patrol. He was really good on that.

Comment by Bud – March 3, 2012 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!!! He was my fave on Sea Patrol, I was crushed when Spider (and Buffer) left and stopped watching.

Comment by Erin – March 3, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved him on go girls

Comment by Egg – March 18, 2012 01:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome casting!

Comment by Jules – March 2, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for him and it will be nice to have Kristin back on screen.

Comment by Stef – March 2, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The premise of the two shows (on ABC and CW) sound horrible, so far. I guess we’ll see.

Comment by Richard – March 2, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You didn’t really write that, did ya, dude? You can’t be that stupid.

Comment by Jonah – March 2, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never seen him in anything, but he’ll have big, Ron Perlman shaped, shoes to fill.

Comment by AJ – March 2, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sadly from this photo….
      he doesn’t appear to have the stuff to carry Ron’s/Vincent’s Cloak…..

Comment by Rusty – March 2, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unfortunatly I have to agree. I just hope they will keep the look of the beast closer to the Ron Perlman one instead of trying to keep it sexy like the Beastly one.

Comment by AJ – March 2, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Given they’re catering to mainly teen fans, I don’t imagine they’re aspiring to the original B&B on any level, particularly when TVD is their highest rated show coming in around what? 4 million viewers tops from what I remember. Those of us that remember B&B might be amused by this one, but I doubt it will be nearly as awesome. Hmmm? I wonder if the original is available anywhere streaming? Probably soon will be if it isn’t given these two shows are in the works.

Comment by Ariel – March 2, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I enjoy this one just as we’ll as the old but I like the more modern one

Comment by Mel – May 26, 2013 06:31 AM PDT
          • Not all of are teenagers I’m 55 and I quite enjoy it .I watch it every Thursday night without miss

Comment by Mel – May 26, 2013 06:41 AM PDT
  • He’s too pretty to be a beast. Hide that face?

Comment by Renee – March 2, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jay Ryan. Not to be confused with Jake Ryan. ;)

Comment by jbird – March 2, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are not both going to be named ‘The Beauty and the Beast’, right?

Because that would be really confusing. And I don’t think it would help either show.

Like him but not her and I don’t know if I want to watch new version of an old show once again. But I’d watch this before I’d watch a Sex and the City prequel.

Comment by Jen – March 2, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And if Fox doesn’t renew Terra Nova would somebody please cast Ashley Zukerman in a series? Starting watching him in Terra Nova then watched him in Australian series Rush and the guy is really good. Very watchable.

Comment by Renee – March 2, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If both shows get picked up for fall, one of the networks have to change the name, I read it somewhere they will have to battle over who keeps the name or not. I’m sure ABC will be the one to keep the name n CW change it. By I think so far I like The CW version of B&B

Comment by Fernando – March 2, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If one of them is going to change their titles, then ABC should be the one considering the CW was working on a B&B series first.

Comment by Anon – March 2, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I donno who the hell is,but he looks much better with the super gorgeous Kristin compare to Fat Tom Welling.

Comment by Jay – March 2, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If thew CW version gets picked up, I will definitely check it out. Was a fan of the late 80′s CBS TV series, which this is an update of.

If both versions get picked up, one of them definitely has to change the name. Since ABC is part of Disney and owns the cartoon version rights, I think they will get 1st dibs on the name.

Comment by Don J – March 2, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it is official…I am numb.

This man’s face has “generic TV actor” stamped all over it.

Please tell be he has emotive eyes or a silk on gravel voice.

Sorry, he does ABSOLUTELY nothing ….. for the concept of the role.

Comment by Rusty – March 2, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Read my name, that’s what I think of your ridiculous post.

Comment by Numb or Dumb – March 2, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Before you judge the guys acting based off his Picture check him out watch the episodes of Terra Nova he was in or something else I really don’t Know anything else but I am sure there is other stuff.

Comment by Matthew – March 2, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good heavens, chill out, people. The CW series will be called BEAST. Okay? Happy now? Wow.

Comment by Geez – March 2, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what I was gonna post It’s really not that complicated I don’t Know what every one is freaking out about

Comment by Matthew – March 2, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, even with makeup, I’m guessing that they’re not actually going to make him a beast? He’s really not supposed to be visually appealing. That’s one of the key character points!

Comment by Drew – March 2, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is the CW after all…

Comment by Jay – March 2, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CW’s Beauty & The Beast
    I will give the remake of this series a try. I love the original show back in the 80′s with Ron Perlman & Linda Hamilton. I know it won’t be the same without our original characters. I’m an open minded person, so it’s up to the writers to capture my interest. Good Luck on bringing the original romance back to national TV.

Comment by Mrs. Peterson – March 2, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve watched the first beauty and the beast in the 80 enjoy it ,now I’m watching the more modern one and I still enjoy it even with the new vicent

Comment by Mel – May 26, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont liker her

Comment by Lorena – March 2, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hahahaha its funny coz hes so hot shes the beast lol xx

Comment by Brooke – March 2, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. They’re really good looking. Like network tv good looking….

Comment by jdhetherington – March 2, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was interested in this until Kristin Kreuk was cast. She is not leading actress material. She was the weakest link on Smallville.

Comment by A – March 2, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • False. She was the best lead actress the show had and the best actress out of SV period.

Comment by Visitor – March 3, 2012 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Best actress?? All she did was whine and cry…don’t need skills for that!! Her character was flat out the worst character on TV

Comment by Jen – March 3, 2012 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch this only because of KK

Comment by OZ – March 2, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I won’t be watching because I’m not a big fan of Kristin Kreuk (more specifically, her Lana Lang), but she seems like a nice person, so I wish her a successful career. Unfortunately, I don’t think this is the show that will do it for her.

Comment by Judy – March 2, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both the CW and ABC’s Beauties have ‘flop’ written all over them. The question is: which will be yanked off the air first?

Comment by Judy – March 2, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Judy – March 2, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops. Double post. I’m feeling mean today, lol.

Comment by Judy – March 2, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From the pilot script I’ve read this reboot is definitely not like the 1987 original series -It should not have been promoted as such -While it is a beauty & beast type themed show, they shouldn’t have named the main characters Catherine & Vincent -I had high hopes for a B&B remake, but I expected it to be more like the original with all the romance & fantasy -I see none of that in this reboot, especially with the character of Vincent, who was once a unique, poetic, mysterious being with a gentle soul -Now he’ll be a genetically altered hairy human super soldier playing Wii & drinking beer? -I honestly thought the script was a joke & not authentic -I am truly disappointed that it was true –(Btw, in addition to original fans many new fans have discovered the series through the DVD’s)

Comment by cathvin87 – March 2, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I`ll only watch this for Kristin Kreuk

Comment by Pete – March 2, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is a GREAT NZ Actor!

Comment by hayley – March 3, 2012 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hate the haters,but i’m no meano so i’m defo gonna support the occidental-oriental beauty,kristin.

Comment by jong – March 3, 2012 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Which one is playing Beauty?

Comment by Jamie Helton – March 3, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow you are such a hater. Kristin Kreuk was the heart of Smallville. She was the one who had so many people including myself emotionally attached to the show. She was so sweet, beautiful, and sexy on SV. When she was happy I was happy. When she cried I cried. Just because you’re a sad Lois fan who felt threatened by Lana and Clark’s relationship doesn’t give you the right to come attack Kristin on every site. If she was such a horrible actress you wouldn’t be searching for news about her and spewing your venom through hateful comments. You’re obsessed with her. Haha. You’re a loser!!!

Comment by A.B. – March 4, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. He is so much hotter than the ABC’s Beauty and the Beast.

Comment by Clive – March 5, 2012 03:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smallville while it was airing have more than once gained the highest 18-39 nielsan raings amongst all the other shows at that slot.
    TVD also enjoyed similar success.

Comment by S – March 5, 2012 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay go Kev!

Comment by Eh – March 18, 2012 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Life In Series.

Comment by kari – March 29, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey very nice blog!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also?I am glad to search out a lot of useful information right here within the publish, we want develop extra techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

Comment by Skin care – May 1, 2012 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jay Ryan is an excellent actor

Comment by john – May 18, 2012 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea for Jay Bunyan now known as Jay RYAN! =) I’m so excited to see him on a US show finally breaking out. He’s a great actor and it’ll show through :)

Comment by paulaandrea85 – June 29, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When are is this programme airing in NZ??? I know that its on prime but not sure when…

Comment by YOMAHOMEY – September 4, 2012 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post