Scoop: Terra Nova Stud Cast Opposite Kristin Kreuk in The CW's Beauty and the Beast Pilot

Jay Ryan Beauty and the BeastKristin Kreuk, meet your new TV soul mate.

New Zealand actor Jay Ryan, who played the Terra Nova security guard who was famously banished for murdering a fellow colony member, has landed the male lead opposite Kreuk in Beauty and the Beast, The CW’s reboot of the classic ’80s series that ran on CBS from 1987 to 1990 and starred Ron Perlman as the mythic man beast and Linda Hamilton as the object of his affection.

The CW version, written and exec produced by Without a Trace vet Jennifer Levin and Brothers & Sisters‘ Sherri Cooper, will add a contemporized procedural twist.

Reminder: This B&B is not to be confused with the B&B pilot that ABC is developing for next season. That one is based on the public domain fairy tale about a girl forced to live in a castle with a beast who eventually wins her heart.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Kat says:

Are they both going to be called Beauty and the Beast? That seems confusing.

2. xav says:

I loved him on Sea Patrol.

3. Jules says:

Awesome casting!

4. Stef says:

Good for him and it will be nice to have Kristin back on screen.

5. Richard says:

The premise of the two shows (on ABC and CW) sound horrible, so far. I guess we’ll see.

6. AJ says:

I’ve never seen him in anything, but he’ll have big, Ron Perlman shaped, shoes to fill.

• Rusty says:

sadly from this photo….
      he doesn’t appear to have the stuff to carry Ron’s/Vincent’s Cloak…..

• AJ says:

Unfortunatly I have to agree. I just hope they will keep the look of the beast closer to the Ron Perlman one instead of trying to keep it sexy like the Beastly one.

• Ariel says:

Given they’re catering to mainly teen fans, I don’t imagine they’re aspiring to the original B&B on any level, particularly when TVD is their highest rated show coming in around what? 4 million viewers tops from what I remember. Those of us that remember B&B might be amused by this one, but I doubt it will be nearly as awesome. Hmmm? I wonder if the original is available anywhere streaming? Probably soon will be if it isn’t given these two shows are in the works.

7. Renee says:

He’s too pretty to be a beast. Hide that face?

8. jbird says:

Jay Ryan. Not to be confused with Jake Ryan. ;)

9. Jen says:

They are not both going to be named ‘The Beauty and the Beast’, right?

Because that would be really confusing. And I don’t think it would help either show.

Like him but not her and I don’t know if I want to watch new version of an old show once again. But I’d watch this before I’d watch a Sex and the City prequel.

10. Renee says:

And if Fox doesn’t renew Terra Nova would somebody please cast Ashley Zukerman in a series? Starting watching him in Terra Nova then watched him in Australian series Rush and the guy is really good. Very watchable.

11. Fernando says:

If both shows get picked up for fall, one of the networks have to change the name, I read it somewhere they will have to battle over who keeps the name or not. I’m sure ABC will be the one to keep the name n CW change it. By I think so far I like The CW version of B&B

• Anon says:

If one of them is going to change their titles, then ABC should be the one considering the CW was working on a B&B series first.

12. Jay says:

I donno who the hell is,but he looks much better with the super gorgeous Kristin compare to Fat Tom Welling.

13. Don J says:

If thew CW version gets picked up, I will definitely check it out. Was a fan of the late 80’s CBS TV series, which this is an update of.

If both versions get picked up, one of them definitely has to change the name. Since ABC is part of Disney and owns the cartoon version rights, I think they will get 1st dibs on the name.

14. Rusty says:

it is official…I am numb.

This man’s face has “generic TV actor” stamped all over it.

Please tell be he has emotive eyes or a silk on gravel voice.

Sorry, he does ABSOLUTELY nothing ….. for the concept of the role.

• Numb or Dumb says:

Read my name, that’s what I think of your ridiculous post.

• Matthew says:

Before you judge the guys acting based off his Picture check him out watch the episodes of Terra Nova he was in or something else I really don’t Know anything else but I am sure there is other stuff.

15. Geez says:

Good heavens, chill out, people. The CW series will be called BEAST. Okay? Happy now? Wow.

• Matthew says:

That’s exactly what I was gonna post It’s really not that complicated I don’t Know what every one is freaking out about

16. Drew says:

So, even with makeup, I’m guessing that they’re not actually going to make him a beast? He’s really not supposed to be visually appealing. That’s one of the key character points!

17. Mrs. Peterson says:

CW’s Beauty & The Beast
    I will give the remake of this series a try. I love the original show back in the 80’s with Ron Perlman & Linda Hamilton. I know it won’t be the same without our original characters. I’m an open minded person, so it’s up to the writers to capture my interest. Good Luck on bringing the original romance back to national TV.

• Mel says:

I’ve watched the first beauty and the beast in the 80 enjoy it ,now I’m watching the more modern one and I still enjoy it even with the new vicent

18. Lorena says:

I dont liker her

19. Brooke says:

Hahahaha its funny coz hes so hot shes the beast lol xx

20. jdhetherington says:

Wow. They’re really good looking. Like network tv good looking….

21. A says:

I was interested in this until Kristin Kreuk was cast. She is not leading actress material. She was the weakest link on Smallville.

• Visitor says:

False. She was the best lead actress the show had and the best actress out of SV period.

• Jen says:

Best actress?? All she did was whine and cry…don’t need skills for that!! Her character was flat out the worst character on TV

22. OZ says:

I will watch this only because of KK

• Judy says:

I won’t be watching because I’m not a big fan of Kristin Kreuk (more specifically, her Lana Lang), but she seems like a nice person, so I wish her a successful career. Unfortunately, I don’t think this is the show that will do it for her.

23. Judy says:

Both the CW and ABC’s Beauties have ‘flop’ written all over them. The question is: which will be yanked off the air first?

24. Judy says:

25. cathvin87 says:

From the pilot script I’ve read this reboot is definitely not like the 1987 original series -It should not have been promoted as such -While it is a beauty & beast type themed show, they shouldn’t have named the main characters Catherine & Vincent -I had high hopes for a B&B remake, but I expected it to be more like the original with all the romance & fantasy -I see none of that in this reboot, especially with the character of Vincent, who was once a unique, poetic, mysterious being with a gentle soul -Now he’ll be a genetically altered hairy human super soldier playing Wii & drinking beer? -I honestly thought the script was a joke & not authentic -I am truly disappointed that it was true –(Btw, in addition to original fans many new fans have discovered the series through the DVD’s)

26. Pete says:

I`ll only watch this for Kristin Kreuk

27. hayley says:

He is a GREAT NZ Actor!

28. jong says:

i hate the haters,but i’m no meano so i’m defo gonna support the occidental-oriental beauty,kristin.

29. Jamie Helton says:

Which one is playing Beauty?

30. A.B. says:

Wow you are such a hater. Kristin Kreuk was the heart of Smallville. She was the one who had so many people including myself emotionally attached to the show. She was so sweet, beautiful, and sexy on SV. When she was happy I was happy. When she cried I cried. Just because you’re a sad Lois fan who felt threatened by Lana and Clark’s relationship doesn’t give you the right to come attack Kristin on every site. If she was such a horrible actress you wouldn’t be searching for news about her and spewing your venom through hateful comments. You’re obsessed with her. Haha. You’re a loser!!!

31. Clive says:

Wow. He is so much hotter than the ABC’s Beauty and the Beast.

32. S says:

Smallville while it was airing have more than once gained the highest 18-39 nielsan raings amongst all the other shows at that slot.
    TVD also enjoyed similar success.

33. Eh says:

Yay go Kev!

34. Skin care says:

Hey very nice blog!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also?I am glad to search out a lot of useful information right here within the publish, we want develop extra techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

35. john says:

Jay Ryan is an excellent actor

36. Yea for Jay Bunyan now known as Jay RYAN! =) I’m so excited to see him on a US show finally breaking out. He’s a great actor and it’ll show through :)

37. YOMAHOMEY says:

When are is this programme airing in NZ??? I know that its on prime but not sure when…