Exclusive

House Exclusive: Lisa Edelstein Not Returning For Show's Series Finale

There’s no way to sugarcoat this, House fans: Huddy is history.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Lisa Edelstein will not be checking back into House before the show ends its run on May 21, dashing any remaining hope there was for one final House/Cuddy reunion.

Over the summer, series creator David Shore told TVLine that he would “love” for Hugh Laurie’s former leading lady to put in another appearance before the final curtain drops and bring closure to Huddy. Edelstein, however, didn’t seem nearly as bullish on the prospect, telling TVLine in August, “I haven’t talked to anyone over there so it would seem unlikely. Who knows what I’ll be doing. I have a lot on my plate. I wouldn’t want to answer that and get anyone’s hopes up. It doesn’t seem like that’s the direction anyone is going in.”

It’s unclear why Edelstein’s comeback failed to materialize — for instance, was she actually asked back? And, if so, did negotiations end before they began? Reps for Fox and Edelstein declined to comment.

The network announced on Monday that House‘s May 21 finale will be preceded by an hour-long retrospective special looking back at the show’s eight-year run.

Reaction to House finale sans Huddy? Bummed? Excited because this means David Shore & Co. will likely put the focus on Gregory’s relationship with his other soul mate, Wilson? Sound off in the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News

1. sara says:

That’s a total bummer! I stopped watching after last season but I plan on watching the finale. Was hoping to see Cuddy.

• Bella says:

I am just so sad to hear that Cuddy/Lisa Edelstein is not part of the finale for House. Honestly the way the House showrunners have treated the character of Cuddy and Lisa as an actress has been nothing short of disgraceful. The only thing that has kept me watching this crap season 8 was the hope of Cuddys return. I now have no further reason to watch. For me the show is already over.

• Liz says:

I totally agree. The people of House are ridiculous. They ruined the Huddy relationship. House crashing his car at the end of last season was the climax of how they tried to destroy that storyline…
        I had hope she would come back and they could reconcile, but… The writers never understood that House could still be House, but with Cuddy, his soulmate.

• Fifi says:

I was happy when cuddy left and happy that she wasnt in the finale. I felt the only reason for the house cuddy relationship in the first place was to draw in female viewers. There are enough sappy “chick shows” that focus on romance on tv. What was so great about House is that it was not one of those shallow predictable shows. To me, the fact that house did not even think about cuddy in the finale was great. It showed that cuddy was truly dead to house. The finale was perfect in that it focused on the things made the show great… House’s tendency to be incredibly selfish and selfless at the same time, his complicated thought process, and the greatest bromance in television history. Cuddy in the finale would have ruined it.

• Rach says:

I agree, except the part where you said it was a good thing for House to have completely forgotten Cuddy. The people they were pulling out of the wood work for this episode, made you expect to see Cuddy, even if for a moment. To be honest though, from what I’ve read it seems that Edelstein wasn’t interested in returning anyway.

• Nel says:

He didn’t “even think about her”, because the actress was not available for the shooting of this episode, not because this is the best way to end it. He did think of his first love, though I’d say Cuddy is his soulmate. She would have “ruined it” as much as Stacy did, so really your arguments about why there shouldn’t be any women on focus, or important in the series is just hilarious. His friendship with Wilson is indeed a great and interesting thing, but as you can well see he’s been miserable during the whole series, except for when he was with Cuddy. What does this tell us about the love part in the movie? Except for that you got it all wrong, of course.:)

• Paz says:

I agree with you, too. The only difference, I stopped watching after episode one this last season. They did a ridiculous thig turning House into an idiot that crash a car in a house.

• San says:

yep…me too…he crashes into his boss’s house and then not only gets his job back (no worries about sanity there) but she stayed and worked with him…didn’t make sense and I bailed.

• Sammy says:

Agreed on all counts…except she didn’t stay and work with him. She hasn’t been seen in Princeton since the crash episode (and who can blame her??).

• Andy says:

there is no need for house to have a relationship with cuddy… he does perfectly fine without her and the show stays interesting because of his other main problems before cuddy… he has always been distant to people in his life, and in these last seasons he has started to get closer to them and although you make a good point about cuddy’s character and how pathetically she was dropped off the face of the earth… there still remains the fact that the show is called house and the character house is brilliant and i have never been disappointed by Hugh Laurie’s acting and depiction of house, it reminds me of the brilliant Sherlock Holmes from the original sir Arthur Conan Doyle books… i think it is necceasry to take a step back forgive the creators of the mistake to drop cuddy and enjoy the final episodes of one of the best shows on tv now and maybe even ever

• MrWTF says:

100% agreement. the whole House /cuddy thing was forced and never felt natural. The crash episode I think was a good representation of house acting out. As outspoken as he is, he bottles everything of importance up. Seeing who was suppose to be his “the one” with someone else broke the usually controlled house. Was it out of character for him to do this? no not really. I think Cuddy coming back at this point would make no sense. The crash and proceeding jail time was a good exit for her. Leave it at that and tie up other loose ends rather then reopening a storyline that shouldn’t have ever really been.

• oceanpout says:

I totally disagree with the notion that Edelstein did the right thing by no being involved in the final episode of House M.D. Regardless of her motives, or the perceived slights she may have deluded herself into believing, the truth is that House M.D. MADE her. She will forever in my mind be a selfish ingrate. She could have at least made a brief cameo apperance during the “memorial service” near the end of the program. I sincerely wish this ungrateful woman only finds work as a slattern, the role for which she sems most approproiate.

• Demian says:

So true..they cut payment for the actors….to make the show larger..but it was ..really bad.

best season was when house was at the mad house.

they should end house ..when he start dating cuddy….also when he start to take vicodin again …that was so horrible and so out of character….and pointless and…dont get me started..

anyway for me it end when cuddy and house were together.

sometimes you just get lucky…..like with heroes season 1….or deadwood….or some seasons of the sopranos…and all the fringe seasons…or supernatural season 4 5 and 6….

• Jane2 says:

Agreed Sara it is a total bummer. Cuddy should be there for the finale. I’ll definitely be skipping the finale and any further episodes.
      It is a very sad indictment of TPTB at House MD and the networks that they didn’t make this happen. They have decided to remain tacky, bitter and vindictive to the end. It makes me sad that a once great show and the people involved in it have sunk so low.

• prestwick says:

They wrecked the show when the writers decided not to proceed with the Huddy relationship. They thought they were being clever, but all they did was ruin the show. If I were Lisa I wouldn’t go back either. House deserves to crash and burn.

• Ellen says:

In my opinion, the show was wrecked with the breakup of the original team. The show’s chemistry changed, and the writers threw everything out of balance with their obvious obsession for Olivia Wilde and Thirteen. “Huddy” was the final nail in the coffin; it wasn’t necessary to put those two characters together. Cuddy was so much better when she was just a peripheral figure, in my opinion.
        I don’t understand why so many of LE’s fans are painting her as an innocent victim here. None of us have any idea what went on in negotiations. For all we know, it may have been a very bad breakup and LE did not want to return. All we know is that the rest of the cast came back and she chose not to. She had the “House’s love interest” story line that she wanted and it helped kill the show for many of us.

• Maria says:

We know that they “negotiated” with her after they had negotiated with RSL (who didn’t get a pay-cut, he’s making less money because he’ll appear in less episodes, judging by what he told fans at the theater about how little he cares about the show, he probably doesn’t mind) and Epps (who is practically useless, but he happens to be close to Shore). So, by the time it was her turn, there was nothing left to give her. That alone is humiliating. Then they asked her to accept less money *and* less episodes. And they met after they had already ruined her character and her relationship with House, which was all they had left her with. They ruined her part as the DOM when Shore practically gave it to Epps in the 4th season.
          Why would she come back? I know that her fans miss her, but I was already missing her when she was there and I doubt it would get better. At least this way she gave us one more reason to stop watching. I’m grateful for that. I completely agree with her for not wanting to stay and I have nothing but respect and admiration for her. I wish I could say the same about those that are still involved with the show, but I can’t.
          Also, please, please, stop saying that she got the storyline that she wanted. Anyone with 2 brain cells should know that nobody who wanted Huddy wanted what we got. God himself didn’t want that abomination of a season and storyline. It only made sense for those that hate Huddy –it reinforced why it shouldn’t happen– but they had already been alienated. So why they would also alienate us and in such a manner, is beyond me.

• luca says:

I agree with you…The show lost a lot of viewers when PTB caved-in and did the “Huddy” crap….glad they’re not ending the show with a Huddy crap part II

• james achuff says:

I actually agree with you I hated the whole huddy crap it did ruin the show for me because like every episode was about that. I watched house because it was a funny show and the plot of the episodes were creative (other than the whole pattern thing not sure if that changed) not because it was a fliping love drama in a hosptial if I wanted that I would have watched ER so good riddance. (Still have to watch from like season 6 on.)

• The whole reason I stopped watching the show originally was because the booted Cuddy. No wonder the show is ending, I probably wasn’t the only fan they lost after Cuddy left.

• Karen Chapman says:

I agree, HOW can can she NOT be in the final show? Down right rude to her followers I think!
      I used to love her…..not anymore!
      For her fans, appear on the finale is the LEAST she could do! SHe can MAKE time for it, esp after 177 episodes! Karyn Chapman RN

• h barone says:

Cuddy needs come back for the final episode. She AND house had chemistry and without her to bring the show to one of the most watched TV series to a close, would be a shame. Come on Cuddy just do it!!!!!!!

• Judy Metcalf says:

I think it all is a bummer. It is the only show I have loved loved in years. I have never seen a bad episode because they stay true to the wierdness of what House is. It is always a surprise. Now it is going to end and I will have to watch the same reruns forever. I don’t mind seeing each episode 3 or 4 times, but this is for eternity! So bummed.

• DebraGene says:

Ditto. Stopped watching when Cuddy left and was hoping to watch a finale with Cuddy.

2. Jess says:

What a b****, I’m sure she’s just being stuck up and not wanting to come. Well see ya don’t let the door hit you on the way out. If you got no respect for House, I got no respect for you.

• Mel says:

She may be angry because the show didn’t fight to keep her on, but on the other hand, it seemed to be all about more money with her and Fox, and she was already getting way more than most TV actors, so I didn’t feel sorry for her. That said, I kind of agree with your opinion. And hey, more House/Wilson? Hell yes!

• Lila says:

What makes you think she was even asked to return. She has mentioned when asked in several interviews that it hadn’t been broached by anyone on the show either formally or informally. Nothing in this article suggests she was asked and David Shore never suggested he had any real plans to bring her back. They were writing the last five episodes before they even decided to end the show that would have left very little time to write a storyline for her and no time to negotiate a return. It’s like asking someone for a date two days before prom.

• Monica says:

Hey first of all shut up, have you SEEN what the show has turned into? No wonder she doesn’t want to come back HOUSE SUCKS NOW! Why MAR her name by coming back to such a crap show, even to finish it? I don’t hear anything about JMo coming back or OW so are they bitches too? (Well OW is) So can the crap you douche!

• Saint Alicia says:

HA, because LE needs respect from a fool…
      Last summer (in an interview with Ausiello) Shore claimed he would “love to have her back,” yet in a subsequent interview with LE (right after Shore’s) we find out no one had even called her.
      And just a few weeks ago (when House’s cancellation was announced), folks at the House camp revealed discussions with LE for Cuddy’s return had not even been broached. So in the more than 6 months since her departure no one at House has once thought to get on the phone to work something out…
      It’s blatantly obvious Shore never intended to bring her back and has been outright lying about that intention just to keep viewers/critics interested.
      Obviously HE is too proud to ask her back because that would be tantamount to admitting he was WRONG. Wrong about the direction he took the show (House crashing into Cuddy’s home), wrong about her importance and letting her go (the suffering ratings), wrong about everything.
      David Shore cannot admit his mistakes and that’s why Cuddy is not returning.

• Maria says:

Don’t judge if you don’t know the facts. Shore wanted nothing more than to have her back for the finale. Except for some reason she decided to travel to Europe, right when TPTB were discussing the finale with FOX and NBCU. Did she not know that they wouldn’t reach her there? Had she not heard that it took 3 months for HL to say that “they all missed her very much” for that same reason? She totally knew. She’s just too much of a diva. How much do you expect Shore to beg?

• BackwardEuropean says:

Yes it’s physically impossible to get a message to someone in Europe unless you send it in a bottle. Let’s face it that can take months. Poor David. :(

• NotMyBabyWilson says:

You really don’t get it do you. David Shore has a production company (BAD HAT HARRY) which produces House. David Shore then sells it to NBC/Universal for distribution and FOX as part of its prime time line up. David Shore’s customers are NBC/Universal and FOX. They have input on customization of the product known as House. My guess is that it was Fox and NBC/Universal who did not want her back and lowballed her to make sure she didn’t come back cause you know they pay her salary. Shore probably did the best he could to keep her but the network and distribution executives wouldn’t budge. I think there was more to her departure than just money. She doesn’t strike me as a person who just does things for money. And yes, it is true that it was LE who pushed the Huddy storyline. There’s videotape from S2. LE was also confused about the difference between what her character did with the House character and what she did with HL, which was NOTHING!! There’s video of that too.

LE needs to be honest with her fans and not allow them to blame other people for her choices. If was a real team player, LE could have returned at a reduced salary and/or episode load. She reminds me of Suzanne Somers (Three’s Company) who thought she was the cat’s meow until she found out she wasn’t.

• Gale says:

Yeah, how about she was not even asked to come back! Your short minded and judgemental opinion to go blame her first is offensive.
      Despite what TPTB are saying, this is the word out in the business, not that it was about the money or else.
      I am sure RSL and co would have walked away if they had had the same louzy and insulting offer. She did more than her job for seven years, she deserved a better treatment than this crappy ending.

• Tarasa says:

Oh great, you’ve got all the facts? Please share.

3. JO says:

Dude, I’m so bummed.
    Knowing Cuddy was such an important role on Greg House and the show itself, it’s gonna feel like the finale is… Like there’s something missing.
    Agh. This kinda tells me they won’t be killing House off in the Series Finale. Not that that’s something I wanted.

4. kat says:

That makes me sad! Not because I’m a Huddy shipper but because Cuddy has been on the show for so long and to see her not come back for te finale is sad.

5. Babybop says:

If they asked her and she blatantly said “No”, then that’s kind of ridiculous. This show is why people know your name, and you don’t have the courtesy to come back for one more episode? I’m thinking either they didn’t need her character in the episode, or she has another contracted commitment and couldn’t sign on.

• Lisandra says:

Do not talk about things you do not know, nothing is clear yet

• You'reblamingthewrongperson says:

In an interview with a French magazine which was given AFTER the cancellation of House was announced Lisa said that she had not been approached by TPTB.
      If you’re going to be angry be angry with the networks and the Executive Producers at House.

6. bloody scallywag says:

You go LISA! ha!:D

7. Fabouluz says:

I just want watch it then. Simple as. It will be a boring end to a show that has gone down a steep hill.

8. Shane says:

They House team really blew it with season seven and there hasn’t been much chance of recovery since. This is not a shock because obviouslt there was a falling-out, but it’s tragic that a show with such a prize in the Huddy dynamic elected to destroy what they had rather than build on it. They CHOSE to write it in a way to fail, hoping that it would cause people to not want it. Instead, it only angered the fans and split their fanbase. What a legacy they made for themselves! Showrunners who would rather self-implode than actually use the gifts in their hands. What a shame!

9. Sally says:

YEEEEESSSSS!!!! Thank you for the great news, especially the Huddy is finally over part!!! For every non-Huddy fans it IS great news. Seeing Cuddy one last time in the finale would have been okay, but a Huddy reunion would have ruined the entire finale.

• Shester says:

Yes! IKR? I’m a Hilson fan andtotally want it to end with Hilson! They have soooo much chemistry. But we need them to get rid of Dominica first. :(

10. Isabella says:

House and Wilson ftw

• erin bowers says:

Unfortunately Isabella… House is still married to Dominica the “GREEN CARD HOOKER” Wife …. hahahahahahahahahahahahahah Hominica FTW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lucia says:

mwahahahha yes, House and his Lowratingsnika wife will have a looooot of babys….and ratings will drop even more.

• erin bowers says:

Hey
          Lucia you are 100% CORRECT. The only thing is that the ratings for House couldn’t get much lower. They are routinely getting beaten not only by CBS Comedy Mondays but by ABC’s “The Bachelor” Soooo. Well maybe they can beat the return of DWTS.Hahahahahahaha

11. I LOVE CUDDY says:

I AM SO SAD WTF? CUDDY NEEDS TO BE THERE, SHE SHOULD BE THERE!!! HOUSE CAN`T END WITHOUT HER!

12. Lisandra says:

I do not care what happens, I will always love Lisa Edelstein

13. Livelylivy says:

That is rubbish the finale will be the same without her!

14. lori says:

Guess I’m not watching then.
    House ended for me with the finale of season 6.. I would really like season 7 and 8 erased from my mind somehow. The ending of Help Me was perfect, and the show should have left it at that. This show used to be the greatest, now it has gone downhill and it’s really sad.

• Michelle says:

Exactly, Lori. I’ve mentally ended all of my other favorite shows before their actual finale (The X-Files, Gilmore Girls, ER), so why not add House to the list?
      No Cuddy, no me.

• Kerry says:

House was so ridiculous in the last two seasons, I stopped being an avid watcher. The car crash, Cutty leaving, the child-like voice of the new team member, I can’t even remember the name of the character who had the two babies, Omar Epps, – they were all annoying! Even Chase was boring. It seemed as though the writers wanted to make us stop watching the show. Good it has ended. I really liked it for years. I’ll try to remember the good shows and not the last two seasons!

• Demian says:

agree totally

15. Kristen says:

I’m very disappointed! I was hoping Lisa would come back for the finale, not just because of Huddy, but to tie up loose ends. Cuddy was my absolute favorite character, so it really saddened me to see her not return for this season, and I’ve all but stopped watching House. Now there’s a good chance I’m not even going to watch the finale. This sucks!

• I’d have liked to see her come back to tie up loose ends. Hard to see how Cuddy could have forgiven House for what he did to her, and the possibility that he could have injured the child.

16. Livelylivy says:

Thay was meant to say not the same without her!. The show has been rubbish since she left!

17. Livelylivy says:

That was meant to say not the same without her!. The show has been rubbish since she left!

18. Amy says:

Can’t say that I will miss her, on the contrary :D Great news for me, thanks!

19. Liss says:

I Was hoping to see Cuddy. this is SO sad

20. Misha says:

Considering how they threw her under the bus in interviews after she was gone, I don’t blame her at all. Lisa, do your thing, girl. I ain’t hating.

21. Karen says:

Ha you go lisa

22. Lis says:

House without cuddy is not the same

23. ireneadler8 says:

This is terrific news. I haven’t like Lisa’s lack of response on many things for quite some time now and I think this would have created a very false ending.
    They were not meant to be together but still i feel badly for all the fans out there who held out so much hope for so long. I am glad she is not returning though. I hope she finds better prospects than Blue Eyed Butcher Lifetime movies and Paul The Matchmaker- which was a fiasco. Wishing her the best in her future career…which is more than she ever wished House cast. Think we had her so wrong for so long.
    She abandoned the ship and whether or not it was “sinking”, showed herself to be “not a team player” and totally disloyal to the show and fans. Just my opinion.

• Jane says:

Whatever, witch! She gave more of herself to that show for 7 years than anyone did. She supported them and tooted their horns every chance she got. Only when she left AFTER her contract was finished and a new one was not renegotiated did she become silent – and likely as a result of a gag order. You haters want to make her the villain. She didn’t do anything wrong.
      If you love the show without her, that’s good. But you show how shallow you are in attacking her without merit!

• Katherine says:

Actually this person gave her reasons as to why she thought about Ms. Edelstein the way she did, which has merit and isn’t attacking her. She also stated that it was only her opinion.
        You are just defensive, abrasive, and rude.

• CAM says:

Thank you for pointing that out. I couldn’t agree more.

• Maria says:

They don’t really have merit. They forced her out after they spent years ruining a character she basically created. They spent all summer saying that it was all her fault, that she decided to leave for no reason at all, while she wasn’t allowed to talk –just like JM wasn’t allowed to talk when they fired her. It took them 3 months wish her anything, why should she do it now? She did her part when she did Shore the favor of posting a picture with him on twitter. They’ve gotten more than enough from her in the past 7 years and they’re still exploiting her to this day. What else could they possibly want?
          Of course, that is not to say that there’s a reason for name-calling. Unless it’s directed at TPTB, that is. :P

• Say, what? says:

How can there be a “gag order” if there’s no contract? She can say what she wants, or not.

• Blythe says:

Actually this person wished Lisa Edelstein the best in her future career and projects, which is certainly better than those who want to canonize her and demonize the cast who remain. They have also tooted and supported the show in numerous ways, especially Hugh Laurie. She could and should have at least acknowledged, and yes,thanked the cast who she worked along side all of those years. It would have gone a long way to neutraliziing some of this hurt people feel.

• Jeeves says:

So true.
          JM always spoke with the warmest words after she left, gag order or not.
          LE just said she needed to try new things!
          Good luck to her. she will need it.

• @Jeeves says:

??? Lisa has commented more than once since she left that House was a “fabulous experience”. How is that negative?

24. Rock Golf says:

Wait a sec! May 21 finale???
    I thought House was being moved out of Monday and switching places with Bones.

• JO says:

NO, House remains on Mondays but at 9pm. Bones will be airing before HOUSE. I believe “Touch” was shifted to Thursday, the slot after American Idol. :)

25. Dani says:

They messed up. Simple as. Oh well! I’m only dipping in and out at this point anyway… If they never even bothered to ask her then it serves them right if the viewing figures continue to be mediocre right up to the end.

26. ana says:

no cuddy no house

27. camila says:

It will be a boring end !! RIP House MD

28. peona says:

This is so great! thanks. I was worrying she might actually come back. I dislike her character and I feel less for her personally. She showed just what the show and cast mean to her in her silence all these months.
    Good riddance. Go to Lifetime.

29. dee says:

Best news I’ve read all day. “Huddy” practically destroyed the show. It’s only just now recovering from that nonsense.

• Stormcrow says:

Agreed. House was always about a Machiavellian medical mastermind tackling outlandish cases. The focus of the show was NEVER love stories. All forms of human relationships were explored to flesh out the characters, but that was always secondary.

• LOL says:

Um, “just now recovering?” The show has the lowest ratings of the series now. They are getting worse and worse, not recovering. The show was cancelled without even giving the show runners an opportunity to write the end of the series. They are having to tweek episodes already written to turn them into end of series episodes. The show is not even getting the opportunity to go out on it’s own terms! House is slipping out with barely a whimper. Even Fox allowed Amazon & iTunes to offer the last episode for sale the day after it didn’t air when it was preempted for the Daytona 500. They wouldn’t even give it another time slot. So sad a once brilliant show won’t go out with respect from the industry or the media. Fans don’t matter anymore.

30. ava says:

Boy, am I glad I gave up on this show when I did!

31. Dee says:

I don’t think they even invited her back.
    It doesn’t matter anyway. The show went downhill when they started to feature her front and center along with House.
    I have actually started watching again.

32. Denia says:

Great news ..If the finale was a happy end sure I’ll have no problem to see her back but I prefer a dramatic end for House..Hugh Laurie is an amazing actor and he would be great in a dramatic finale with pain …. I don’t know why Edelstein is not going back ….If they ask her to go and she didn’t accept means that she is so selfish..I remember Hugh Laurie go with her everywhere awards ,intervies,etc etc he support her a lot … She is reacting like Hugh was her husband and they get divorce …She should think about it twice … I love Hugh Laurie and I’m sure he would love to have her next to him for few more scenes ..But OK don’t care I’m sure we are gonna have a great finale

• Lila says:

What are you babbling about? If they were at awards shows together it was because the show was nominated.

• Moira says:

What are you talking about?
      SHE was always the one supporting Hugh, not the other way around. He did nothing to help her out during negotiations or awards. Stop kidding yourself in thinking he is God who can do no wrong.
      Lisa praised the show and promoted the hell out of it and all she got was crap in return.
      Please!

• Yup says:

That’s true.

• Dalilita76 says:

Truer words were never spoken. Anyone who thinks she´s been selfish is stupid and blind.

• Katie says:

The fact of the matter, the part that pisses me off most, is how it seems like everyone’s forgotten that Lisa is a grown woman and she’s acting like a teenager. Yes, she promoted the show, but did she *ever* mention anything other than that she couldn’t wait for her character to get a love interest and/or end up with House? Where were her comments about the complex medical cases or the work that the rest of the cast did? Long before I was the avid House fan I am now, I stumbled on three different interviews with LE acting like a horny frat guy, putting her hands all over HL. You can say what you want about LE but those people that are insisting that, even now though she has no contract with FOX, she’s allowed herself to become gagged. This isn’t the mofia. If she’s not speaking it’s because her life isn’t her fans’ business. Frankly, I have way more respect for her since she’s stopped talking than I did before.

• Se8 says:

Well, she spend more time in interviews than actual acting in [H]ouse!
        As for supporting HL, yeah, without her he would still be an unknown British comedian!
        Wake up lisabians, she promoted herself and possibly an affair with HL with evidently no results, if it ever happened.

• Lorna says:

Are you suggesting they had scenes written for her that she didn’t show up for because she was doing interviews? That is really dumb. Actors come in on the days they are expected to and shoot the scenes written for them. The interviews were were set up by Fox or NBCU in order to promote the show and were part of her contract. They flew her around the world during the hiatus to promote the show.

• Se8 says:

What I am saying is that she grew more important through media exposure than through her actual participation on the show. Nobody forced her to fly around doing interviews. Most of them (around the world) took place because LE went on a trip there (i.e. Malaysia, Spain), possibly sponsored but not programmed to promote the show. She welcomed (even sought)the exposure. For her own advantage.

• Lorna says:

Se8
            When she was giving interviews about House and they were using clips of the show it was being done on the show’s behalf. I didn’t say she didn’t enjoy the free trips, but they were part of her contract. Actors have it in their contracts that they aren’t allowed to talk about the show without permission from the producers. The studio clearly felt she was important and useful in promoting the show internationally or they wouldn’t have had let her do it.
            She was as big a part of the show as any of the supporting cast. If she was just a small insignificant member of the cast they wouldn’t have sent her out to do all those interviews.

33. Liz says:

House without Cuddy is not the same, I agree – it’s even better! A lot better! :D

34. Carmichael says:

That’s a shame, here’s hoping she’s at least mentioned. At least there’s still plenty of hope 13 will be there.

35. janelin says:

Who even knows if she was asked? I doubt it. She ended very badly over there. She can sit in DS’s lap all she wants but that’s not going to get her back in the good graces of NBC/Uni. She had a big mouth and did things she shouldn’t have and now she pays the price.
    Don’t see people running to offer her much either. I wonder just how she’s thought of in Hollywood and elsewhere. Not wishing the cast luck? I hope she’s not in the show before the show either.
    She walked out. Stay out..please.

36. Gillian says:

I expected this, but I’m still very disappointed and sad.

37. Bea says:

I knew it, damn it. I stopped watching last year anyway, but I was still hanging in there. Not just for Huddy, but I mean she was such an important part of the show, it seems absurd House will end without her. Just damn it. Bleeding. Whatever the reasons, it’s just the saddest news after she announced she called it quits. I could survive Huddy breaking up, but Lisa leaving was the last drop.

38. Dani says:

From what I know Lisa’s work, I can only think that something very serious happened, so she does not agree to return.
    It’s a shame, because so great a show will end with no glory.

39. Eve says:

Witthout Cuddy’s return, once the greatest show on earth, will have a half-assed series finale. Cuddy was a huge part of the show and left with so many loose ends. I doubt the finale will have huge ratings, and with this news, even less than I expected. Just sad that a show I once loved obsessively has to go out like this.

40. pedro says:

I’m very disappointed! I was hoping Lisa would come back for the finale

41. SVClois says:

This is so a shame!!! I’m so pissed,disappointed,angry ….. #huddy fans deserve a closure with the disaster of last season!! Bring her back!! Anything is possible!!

42. RedTulip_Ana says:

It is the WORST news I could receive regarding to this series that I loved for years.
    The sad thing is that Lisa Edelstein will not return. The Huddy doesn´t care! Cuddy was a BIG part for House before the House/Cuddy relationship.
    Why do you think that Lisa Edelstein matters only for the Huddy? Cuddy has been a very STRONG CHARACTER in the series!
    It really is very sad news. I always hope that Lisa Edelstein returned to the series finale.

43. maria says:

The show has been rubbish since she left!

44. rhondaps says:

Hell hath no fury. I invite everyone with a critical eye to look at those beach pictures ..closely. This is a woman obsessed or in love or something- and this was when the camera was NOT on them.
    There’s more to this story than we will ever know. She has acted as a woman scorned. She has acted immaturely and left the cast and fans in the lurch. Why should we care about her? She didn’t care about us.
    She was very fortunate she ever got this gig in the first place. She will probably always be referred to as “Lisa Edelstein..of House fame…with good reason.

• Bel says:

Oh for heavens sake! Grow Up! It could just as easily be hell hath no fury like a Hugh scorned! Lisa is the one that lost her job after all. Try and ground your comments in reality instead of going off into these flights of fancy!! Speculations like yours are just ridiculous and offensive.

• Ellen says:

She didn’t “lose her job”! She chose not to come back. Jennifer Morrison was the one who lost her job. I don’t know, or pretend to know, anything else about the situation, but we do know that LE chose not to come back.

• Duh says:

Well, of COURSE LE was crushing on HL! She made that very clear in all of her interviews. She also managed to get a number of rabid “Huddy” fangirls whipped into a frenzy over a possible real-life hookup, resulting in HL’s wife and children being left to deal with the fallout. I can’t imagine how painful that must have been for them, to see an attractive, charming woman publicly pawing at their husband and father, and openly declaring her sexual attraction to him. Shameful behavior.

• Lila says:

Replying to Duh
        There are real life shippers for lot’s of shows. You should have read some of the comments by some Grey’s fans in the early seasons they were obsessed with the idea that the leads were having an affair and his wife was pregnant at the time. People just like to think that there is something real going on because they think it would be hot if it were.. LE was getting a lot of flack from HuLi’s when she first started being photographed with her boyfriend and they were trashing him. As for her saying she found Hugh attractive, this is common for actors. Hugh has said it about LE, Leighton Miester said he was a good kisser, the actress who plays green card wife said she was excited to kiss him. RSL said it was great to date Anne Dudek and he’s married. I see actors on other shows do this all the time. It’s quite standard for actors who are paired with each other to give the impression that if they weren’t with other people they might be together, it helps the audience feel more connected to the characters and story. If HL’s family could weather his actual affair he had with his director before he started this show, they can probably handle standard showbiz flirting and wacky fans, that comes with the money.

• Freelancer says:

What you don’t know is that Hugh was actually the one who had it bad for Lisa. Lisa was done with the man 5 minutes past physical attraction. They would never work which is why she chose her work over any affair.
      And she has been one happy woman in her personal life for almost 2 years so keep your acid and clueless comment to yourself!

• Say, what? says:

Dude, where are you getting your info? I’d love to hear more… C’mon, spill!

• No way! says:

“Hugh had it bad for Lisa?” Huh? Point me to where I can learn more about this, please.

• Ithoughteverybodyknew says:

I genuinely thought people were more aware of this. Yeah Lisa’s flirted with Hugh with over the years, but she does the same with Ausi and I’m damn sure there’s nothing going on there. The attraction has always been ‘mainly’ one-sided, and like it’s just been mentioned LE has always been more interested in her job. This is why it’s fairly obvious something really bad happened last year with regards to her contract. God knows I love HL, but a lot of those hard-earned $$$ go on paying his PR team to keep those skeletons firmly locked in the closet.

• Say, what? says:

Clearly, noteverybodyknew. I’m still not seeing anything concrete. I DID see LE making suggestive and inappropriate remarks about Hugh in interviews, I also read where his wife and children had been targeted by Huddy Fangirls. However, I never saw or read anything about HL being in love with LE.
          So, you are saying that she flirted outrageously with him, and as soon as he got a hard-on for her, she threw it into reverse? And THAT’s the reason why her contract re-negotiation broke down? Sweetheart, if ANY of that is true, then I suspect that HL had a hand in LE NOT getting a satisfactory renewal offer on her contract, NOR an offer to return for the finale.
          Unless, of course, you’ve got something OTHER than, ithougheverybodyknew?

• Houseforever says:

Right on target!
            But then you have not been reading HULI fanfiction!

• Duh says:

You mean there’s HULI fan fiction?! WTF kind of world do we live in where people would romanticize a man cheating on his wife and hurting his children? I’m surprised Mrs. Hugh Laurie (who’s a little scrapper and could kick the sh*t out of Lisa Edelstein) DIDN’T actually kick the sh*t out of Lisa Edelstein. Or open fire on the Huddy Fan Girls who terrorized her family. How much sh*t did this poor woman (and her children) have to eat just so her errant husband could sell ad space for FOX?

• @duh & @Say, What & @Houseforever says:

At least one of the people you three are responding to has a proven track record as an insider and the other at least appears to have industry knowledge.
            If anyone is looking like fangirls run amok it’s the three of you. Yes there is Hugh/Lisa fiction, Jen/Hugh fiction, Hugh/Robert fiction not to mention many others. None of that has any relevance to this. The people you are responding to aren’t fangirls posting their fangirl fantasies. In fact if you stopped to think about it their posts are Anti-Huli. Logic is your friend.

• Now I'm Curious says:

Okay, now I’M curious enough to jump into the fray. Which poster has the “proven track record” and which has “industry knowledge?” By my measure, this all reads like a whole lotta smoke is being blown up a whole lotta skirts, “proven track record” or “industry knowledge” notwithstanding. Nice try, anyway, darlin’.

• PeoplewillalwaysseewhatPRteamswantthemtosee says:

You mean like when HL made comments about wanting to workshop a threesome scene with JMo and LE? That sort of inappropriate? At the end of the day he’s the married man, and I’m really not into this blaming the evil seductress because men are too weak to say no. I have more respect for men in general. Also who mentioned anything about him ‘being in love’ with LE? He saw something he wanted and he pursued her, but was knocked back again and again by someone who was more interested in their friendship and her job than an ill-advised and doomed affair. Nowhere did I mention that this had a bearing on her contract negotiations, but more on the fact that for her to walk away the offer laid on the table had to be offensive, financially AND otherwise. The blame there lies firmly on the shoulders of the network and Shore et al for writing her into a corner.
            The irony is I do like HL. He’s an extremely talented and charming guy, but I’m sick and tired of Lisa being thrown to the wolves for his benefit, because she genuinely is one of the few stars out there for whom what you see IS what you get. If you’re looking for dirt I suggest you look to the guy who has the track record.

• @PeoplewillalwaysseewhatPRteamswantthemtosee says:

LOL, what? You think LE turned HL down? That must be a joke. Everybody knows LE likes to f*ck married men… ;)
            LE fans always make me LOL with their naivity.

• Now says:

Did you see the video on You Tube about Mourie or Hunnifer made by JMO fans? It was the wedding between Jennifer and Hugh! Yep, you heard it right. One actor does not own all or even most of the crazy fans, especially not in this fandom.
            As for Hugh, no one needs to make up stories of him cheating on his wife (in a very public way, I might add) and hurting his wife and children. He can do that all by himself (and has).

• WTF says:

WTF FREELANCER? You’re full of sh*t.

• Yeahh says:

Amen Freelancer. Hugh was the one crazy about her. She was just a pro who turned him down in the most polite way, every single time he tried to make a move…and those were a lot. It´s a good thing she still considers him a friend because if one day she gets really mad and speaks up the truth, he´ll have a problem. And i´m pretty sure she still has many “documents” saved in her hard drive…just in case.

• Karomana says:

As far as I see, from what goes round in the internet, the one who talks about friendship and professionalism is HL.
          As for LE, are you blind? LE, the “pro turning him down in the most polite way”, is the one always making all the risque moves, always bringing out the sex whether in the show or in a personal level!
          What’s more she is the one who left, without a good word for anybody. Just that the show stifled her creativity! Ha! After all who knew her before House?
          So as someone said above “hell hath no fury”. Actions speak better than words!

• That seems unlikely. HOw do you know he was interested in her? He’s married, for one thing. Are these ideas just made up?

• Rena says:

I’ve been following this discussion for the past few days and I have to ask: is ANY OF THIS TRUE? LE hit on HL and he ran and hid behind mama. HL hit on LE and she told him to politely shove it. Where are you people getting your information? Its like the LE fans are insinuating that HL is an incorrigible ass-grabber, and the HL fans are insisting that LE is a walking vagina. And this news about a HL-LE-JM threesome! Where did THAT one come from? Come on, people. If you are going to make these statements, at least provide links to interviews, articles, etc. Defend your assertions with something more tangible than “everybody knows that.” Because “that” just ain’t good enough.

• Actually says:

Actually I do remember the interview in question, and I think it was around season 5 and was in Wilson’s office. It’s out there on YouTube. Hugh was clearly messing around, but so was Lisa in these instances where she’s apparently been “inappropriate”. It seems some have blocked out the numerous instances where she’s made a point of saying that he’s not her type and emphasising that he’s married. Christ! I’ve been in fandoms where the female lead has named her son after the male lead’s character, and they’ve openly smooched on and off camera, and yet nobody batted an eyelid even though both of them are with other people.
        To tell you the truth though nothing would surprise me about the House set these days, especially after reading about the impending court case. I’m sorry but there’s no way that behaviour was isolated to one department, especially when there were such similarities between what was going on, on and off-screen. A few years ago I would have said they were one big happy family. Now… not so much.

• K says:

I hope you all have some evidence for these allegations cos either of the actors could and should sue you iif this is just malicious unfounded gossip…

• sara says:

All this comments about love relationship between the actors are just ridiculous.

• Quinne says:

If they didn’t sue before they aren’t going to now. I do have to laugh at all the detail provided. Someone would have to work on the set or be reading through diaries to know that kind of detail. I also love how people think they can tell how people feel based on a couple of still photos or interviews. I hope they aren’t like this in real life “look Sue glanced at Bob for two whole seconds she’s a home wrecker”.

• Stillcurious says:

I generally take these things with a pinch of salt, but I am curious as to why GY was searching for a ‘mole’ in the past. It could have been storyline related, but I’m also thinking that if there’s nothing to hide and things are all peachy BTS then why get so touchy about it?
            Such a shame that things have turned out like this and contract negotiations, of all things, turned out to be more interesting than the show itself in the end. :(

• Ex-Huddy/HuLi says:

As an ex-Huddy/HuLi fan I remember no occasion that LE said HL was not her type. On the contrary she was always gushing about him, tall, sexy, blue eyes, “who’s handsome” etc. It all ended with the “american wife” comment by LE. She probably went too far. In retrospect, rewatching all those interviews, I finally see we were duped. HL is cringing ,ready to bolt like a rabbit from LE’s pawning, clinging, gushing. HL was indeed messing around in a tongue-in-cheek british joke way, but LE seems to be pushing for a reaction with her comments.
          I realise now that if HL was really interested there was nothing to prevent from divorsing. After all this is not the 19th century and it is not as if he would see his children any less.

• Lila says:

I remember the “american wife” comment. She was asked about Hugh and if she was friends with his wife and she said “I know it seams to some people like I’m his American wife but all I do is go in and do my scenes and go home, I don’t think she’s (Hugh’s wife) worried about me”. How would that have been going to far she basically said they didn’t see much of each other outside of work and that people who thought otherwise were mistaken. Besides she was with her current boyfriend when the interview was done.

• Quinne says:

Who were you duped by? No one on the show has suggested they were lovers. Lisa has never said that, she frequently brought up his wife when interviewers would pry about their relationship. The only people suggesting there was a relationship were fans and a few “journalists”.

• @Ex-Huddy/Huli says:

I’m sorry, but just because you haven’t read the interviews it doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Do a little research yourself and don’t expect to be spoonfed. Is saying that you find someone you work with handsome or attractive really that much of a shocker for you? I mean for pity’s sake it’s standard behaviour in the industry, and I’m glad someone else put that ‘American wife’ comment into context because it meant exactly the opposite of what you thought it did. Yeah HL has done a lot of cringing and looking uncomfortable in recent years, but that was precluded by many others where he had no qualms about throwing his arms around his female co-stars, which again is no big deal. Why that changed is anybody’s guess.
            As for divorce plenty of things can prevent an actor filing for it, including how that would impact on the public image they’ve built for themselves over the years. Not saying that applies to HL, but don’t be so naive.

45. Linda says:

No surprises here. Of course she wasn´t even asked. These people are rats, and liars on top of that.

46. Mer says:

So disappointed…..

47. Jaden09 says:

I am bummed and sad that Cuddy is not coming back for the finale, but at the same time I think it’s probably for the best. The chances are it would have been disappointing for Huddy fans anyway, and now the show can finish with House and Wilson doing what they started the series doing or whatever….I won’t be watching anyway, so it really doesn’t matter to me!

48. Scarlett says:

I’m actually excited about this… it means the focus of the finale will not be on her return, but on House himself. That’s as it should be, I think after 8 seasons of following this character through his ups and downs.

• Lila says:

Or it’ll be all about 13. Whenever she returns they like to make a big thing out of it. The writers seamed convinced they’ve written a great character in 13.

• MrWTF says:

13 was always a much deeper caractor then cruddy. House sees her as a college not just some dumb bitch like he does cuddy