True Blood Boss Alan Ball to Step Down as Showrunner After Season 5

Alan Ball True BloodIf and when HBO’s True Blood makes it to Season 6, Alan Ball won’t be the showrunner.

On the heels of an unconfirmed report by Forbes that Ball would be stepping down due to “exhaustion” after the show’s upcoming fifth season, HBO released the following statement: “When we extended our multi-year overall deal with Alan Ball in July 2011, we always intended that if we proceeded to True Blood’s sixth season that Alan would take a supervisory role on the series and not be the day-to-day showrunner. If we proceed to season six, the show will remain in the very capable hands of the talented team of writers and producers who have been with the show for a number of years. This is the best possible world for both HBO and Alan Ball.”

Spartacus‘ Peter Mensah Joining True Blood

True Blood has been, and will continue to be, a highlight of not only my career but my life,” added Ball. “Because of the fantastic cast, writers, producers and crew, with whom I have been lucky enough to work these past five years, I know I could step back and the show will continue to thrive as I look forward to new and exciting ventures.”

The cabler went on to note that Ball “will remain available as executive producer to consult and advise.” Additionally, the change will free him up “to develop new shows for both HBO and Cinemax.” Ball is already at work on a new series for Cinemax, Banshee, which begins production this spring. He’s also developing a medical drama about an abortion doctor for HBO.

HBO has yet to announce a premiere date for True Blood‘s fifth season, but insiders say it’s expected to bow in June.

1. Darth Pablo says:

6 seasons and a movie. That would be Dean-tastic!

2. Holly says:

Oh thank the lord!! Maybe we’ll finally stick a little closer to the books and stop having Bill and Bill/Sookie forced on us so much!

3. Sam says:

Give it to Raelle! She deserves the showrunner position.

• Julie says:

THIS!!!!!!!!
      I miss Raelle writing on Supernatural so much but it’s so worth it for her that she’s in TB! I think it would be fantastic for her, the show and for us fans!!

• Marty says:

My thoughts exactly. I love Raelle. I think she is fantastic in those vids where they dive deeper into the episode. If not Alan, let it be Raelle.

4. Patrick says:

Maybe it should end after this season, it seems like a good time to go out on top.

5. AT says:

I’m actually happy with this news. I feel like the show has been going off course and a bit overboard the past two seasons. It’s time for the stories and sub plots to be more focused. Hopefully the new showrunner will return to the source material a little bit more. And if they don’t, then I hope all of the stories will be connected. I also would like to see more Eric/Sookie/Bill. That all said, Alan Ball is talented and I wish him the best.

6. Kaye says:

Why can’t it be now?

7. Saint Alicia says:

Good riddance, but too little too late; show is already wrecked.

8. Ed says:

Alan Ball is super sexy. I wish he were in front of the camera, not writing behind it.

9. Emily says:

This is good news. Ball has talent, but I really didn’t like where he let TB end up. I wish this had come sooner, because it just isn’t very good anymore:(

• Cheryl says:

Exactly, he was amazing with Six Feet Under which was why I had such super high hopes for him with True Blood, but it just went so far off course I didn’t want to bother with it anymore.

10. s says:

Good. hopefully the new ones won’t be all for Sookeh and Beel like AB is/was. I really do hope TB gets at least 6 seasons though cause I still enjoy it.

11. Laurel says:

I see that I’m not alone in thinking that Alan Ball taking a step back may actually be better for show.
    The storyline has veered of course a bit and not in a good way.
    I understand that the show is NOT supposed to be EXACTLY like the books and that’s fine.
    But AB’s infatuation with Bill has really thrown the plot off,IMHO.

12. Liz says:

I will miss him, he is the show’s heart.

13. Millie says:

Wrong article love ;)

14. Danielle H says:

This possibly means that the show will only go another 2 seasons (5 and 6). I can’t see HBO wanting to stick with it without Ball. Max 7 seasons is all I ever saw this going anyway since everyone is aging so much.

15. jennrae says:

I love True Blood, but the highlight of Alan Ball’s career so far, for me, was Six Feet Under, then American Beauty, and then True Blood. SFU was transcendent. True Blood definitely is the best show on tv to keep you excited for the next episode, and you never watch the clock–every episode begins with a lot of action and ends with a cliffhanger, and when Bill and Eric finally had sex, it wasn’t rushed at the beginning of the episode, you had to wait until the end. I imagine that takes a lot of talent to get it right. Having said that, Six Feet Under changed my life.