Oscars 2012: The 5 Most Memorable Moments

With silent film The Artist dominating the proceedings, it’s fitting that the funniest moment of the 84th annual Academy Awards came in the form of a wordless gesture: The Descendants co-writer and Community star Jim Rash, ridiculously jutting out his leg in imitation of Angelina Jolie, who’d purposefully displayed her right gam while presenting the Best Adapted Screeplay trophy to Rash, Alexander Payne, and Nat Faxon.

And while there weren’t too many surprises on the night — save for Viola Davis losing to Meryl Streep in the Best Actress race — the telecast as a whole chugged along professionally and amusingly under Billy Crystal’s veteran watch. Here are my picks for the Five Most Memorable Moments of the 2012 Oscars, along with a list of the major winners:

Emma Stone plays it perky in her Oscar-presenting debut | Handing out the Best Visual Effects prize with Ben Stiller, Stone was so fearlessly zany that it elevated what could’ve been a dubious bit of shtick into something unexpectedly entertaining. “Let’s not rush it: We should have some banter where you act cocky and I shut you down and you say I look pretty and I say ‘No chance funnyboy!’ and everybody laughs at you but you seem okay with it,” Stone breathlessly noted as she tried to brainstorm ways to spice up her first Oscar moment. But when the Zoolander actor told her “You don’t want to be the presenter who tries to hard,” Stone turned wonderfully icy. “What, like the guy who would dress up in full Avatar makeup or something? Or a green motion capture unitard or Joaquin Phoenix? I am surprised you’re not in a Planet of the Apes outfit,” she huffed. To which Stiller, who’d in fact rocked all those looks at Oscars ceremonies past, responded, “Wasn’t ready in time.”

Chris Rock turns his job presenting Best Animated Feature into an audition for a return engagement as Academy Awards host | Animated voiceover work allows a fat woman to play a skinny princess, a white man to play an Arabian prince, and a black man to play a donkey or a zebra, deadpanned Rock. And don’t believe actors who tell you how hard the job is, he added, noting that working for UPS or stripping wood are much more grueling professions. Rock then went on to hilariously describe the “easiest job in the world”: going into a sound booth, being fed lines like “It’s time to go to the store” or “It’s getting dark outside,” and earning $1 million. Here’s hoping some smart Oscar producer has already booked him for a much more strenuous role: Emceeing the 2013 ceremony.

Melissa McCarthy and Rose Byrne play the Martin Scorsese drinking game | It would’ve been delightful enough simply seeing the six hilarious stars of Bridesmaids — McCarthy and Byrne, along with Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Wendi McLendon-Covey, and Ellie Kemper — get gussied up and get their due on cinema’s biggest night. But McCarthy and Byrne, presenting the award for Documentary Feature, got the biggest laughs when a “heckler” interrupted their spiel by shouting “Scorsese!”, forcing the duo to whip out their mini vodka bottles and swig.

Christopher Plummer accepts his Oscar with consummate style | “You’re only two years older than me, darling!” said Plummer, accepting the Best Supporting Actor statuette for his role in Beginners. “Where have you been all my life?” The 82-year-old, who became the oldest actor to ever take home an Academy Award, then joked that he’d been rehearsing his acceptance speech from the day he left his mother’s womb; kidded that he’d share his trophy with costar Ewan McGregor “if I had any decency, but I don’t”; and thanked his “long-suffering wife” for “coming to my rescue every day of my life.” Future Oscar winners, that’s how it’s done.

Meryl Streep gets her first Oscar win since 1983 | “When they called my name, I had this feeling I could hear half of America going ‘Oh no! Oh come on, why? Her. Again. But, whatever,” laughed Streep, collecting the Best Actress statuette for The Iron Lady. She then went on to thank her husband first (so her gratitude for him wouldn’t be drowned out by the orchestra, and he’d know “everything I value most in our lives, you’ve given me”); her longtime hair and makeup artist Roy Helland (a fellow winner during the ceremony for his work on The Iron Lady), who’s worked with Streep on every movie she’s done since Sophie’s Choice; and her friends and colleagues for “an inexplicably wonderful career.” A lovely and emotional climax to the evening — even for those of us who kinda wanted Viola Davis to win.

And now, the list of major winners…

Motion Picture: The Artist
 A Separation
Makeup: The Iron Lady
Costume Design:
The Artist
Art Direction: Hugo
Cinematography: Hugo

What did you think of the 2012 Oscars? What were your favorite moments? Sound off in the comments!

1. Candy says:

Dean Pelton from Community making fun of Angelina Jolie!!!

2. Zach says:

• someone says:

So glad the Artist won!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Alrishaf says:

Sorry, Hugo is soooooooo boring. I almost left the cinema before ended, only stay to know what the big secret was, and turned to be a silly thing. Must deserving the Oscar for the Artist. Only The Help could doing over it.

• Haley says:

I agree. The character reminded me of Edward Cullen, he was all “I’m so broken and moody, get lost, no seriously go away, WAIT WHY AREN’T YOU PAYING ATTENTION TO ME I AM SO ANTISOCIAL LOVE ME FOR IT. I know exactly what’s wrong with your life and how to fix it and it’s exactly the opposite of what you’ve chosen for yourself, but I know best.”

3. Ryan says:

I was hoping for wins by Gary Oldman, Viola Davis, John Williams for ‘War Horse’, and ‘Moneyball’ as Best Picture. Was a nice low key drama

4. Belinda says:

Wow, how does Robert Downey Jr not get a place on this list? SHAMEFUL! RDJ was the best thing of the night, he saved the Oscars from the depth of boring-ness! Shame you did not give him a place on that list!

• wordsmith says:

Agreed – his bit with Gwyneth Paltrow was definitely a Top 5 moment. Maybe not best, but certainly top 5.

• flutiefan says:

disagree. it was painfully unfunny.

• wordsmith says:

I actually thought Gwyneth’s reaction to the whole bit was what saved it – if it had felt forced or rehearsed, then it would have been awful, but she played her patient annoyance naturally enough that I thought they pulled it off.

• Captain says:

Agreed. I love RDJ and I love Gwyneth but I that was painful for me to watch.

• KevyB says:

I didn’t bother to watch but I walked into a room where it was playing and these two were on. I walked out so happy I gave up on this crap over a decade ago. And as for Chris Rock hosting? I saw his “funny bits” online after he hosted last time… apparently everyone else has forgotten how bad it was.

• bethany says:

Is Robert back on drugs? He seemed to me sniffling an awful lot.

• ChrissieK says:

Absolutely agree! Awesome and Classy was The Presenter! RDJr, Emma Stone and Chris Rock–the only reasons to have watched The 84th Academy Awards last night. Billy Crystal…no go, he flat out flat-lined it, never again, please. Where were all the stars on the Red Carpet beforehand? I mean other than Michelle Williams and the cast of the Bridesmaids I can’t think of anyone else. I’m having to see who was there and what they wore on the Daily Mail! And that’s in Great Britain!!

5. Lynne says:

Cant believe its been almost 30YEARS since Meryl’s last win. She is without a doubt one of the most amazing actors EVER!! She needs to be acknowledged more often!!

6. malie says:

• Numera says:

Halle Berry – Denzel Washington … i guess that answers quite enough?
      P.S: I’m not even white!

• lipsticksocialism says:

They are exceptions that confirm the rule. There are significantly less roles available to black men and women, even in movies where race shouldn’t even be an issue, like (romantic) comedies. (PS I’m white!)

• Loving_Toure says:

Viola couldn’t win for her role in Tge help. Her character was so controlled and it didn’t have a build up like Meryl Streep’s Margaret Thatcher. Besides, if Viola wins, how will it look… A black maid winning the Oscar in a posh town like Hollywood. Hah!

• Simon Jester says:

@Loving_Toure – “if Viola wins, how will it look… A black maid winning the Oscar in a posh town like Hollywood. Hah!”
          How will it look? A lot less groundbreaking than it did when Hattie McDaniel did it in 1940.

• dee123 says:

1st off TURN THE VOLUME DOWN!
      2nd Viola shouldn’t of even been it that category her role was totally a co-starring role. This is the problem of the modern days Oscars,
      2 or 3 great performances in the one film and the studio puts them into a different category so they don’t split the vote & looks what happens.

• jacob says:

Completely wrong, Viola Davis was the main actress in the movie. The movie was based off of her life as a maid, all the other characters were supporting her story while giving snippets of their own.

• Sam says:

‘The Help’ (novel) was based on various perspectives. But its clear why Davis got lead…. the beginning of the film starts from her perspective. The end of the film ends with her. Go figure

• Mary says:

Whoever wrote this was 100% right on. I am of caucasian persuasion
      but the racism should have ended long, long ago.

• calm down says:

no need for all the capitals and the whole racism comment is so untrue! Halle Berry, Denzel Washington (twice), Cuba Gooding Jr, Lou Gossett Jr, Sidney Poitier, Jaime Fox, Whoopi Goldberg, Jennifer Hudson,Mo’nique, Forest Whitaker have all won oscars, yes not all are leading actor or actress BUT still…seriously make sure that you have your facts before you go all nuts

• BrentG says:

Read back through your post, malie. For starters, turn off your caps lock. Then realize how the black community harms it’s cause by perpetuating the ghetto speech. The children of any one coming from another country loses their accent in one generation. Yet the black community refuses to speak the american way, instead opting to keep their patois. Look around you. The black people who go farther in life in fields other than sports or some entertainment are ones who cultivate an american mode of speech.

• Ben says:

I would think that Black actors and actresses over the last 10 years have won a very similar if not higher percentage of the awards than their proportional population base is. If a racial group has 10% of the population it can’t expect it will win 50% of the awards. Besides, Octavia Spencer just won too, in case you didn’t notice.
      If any racial group could have reason to question the racial equality of the oscars or the industry, I would think it would be asian-americans.
      The only reason I can see for the racial issue being raised is because American history has left a permanent scar in the American psyche around the treatment of african-americans. As someone who isn’t American but does live in a country with its own racial tensions, I think the Oscars do a magnificent job of representing African-Americans

• kate says:

meryl streep is quite possibly the best actress the world currently knows. it’s not like viola davis lost to some terrible performance by some actress that isn’t good. get a grip.

7. nina says:

And Jean Dujardin? He deserves this Oscar so much! His speech was great…Some Americans need to see beyond USA

• Lyn says:

Yes….Clooney’s performance was good but not his best, and Dujardin did more with one raised eyebrow than Brad Pitt did during his entire movie.

8. Jon says:

I knew she wasn’t going to win, but cmon, Rooney Mara deserved that Oscar. She was spectacular.

• lalez says:

i guess rooneys performance was good but sorry the original movies are way better
      and they didnt get any attention by the academy and that sucks

• Simon Jester says:

Actually, I thought the remake was better than the Swedish original… except for Noomi Rapace, who was better than Rooney Mara (though the latter was excellent).

• me says:

The remake was better for sure. I thought Rooney Mara was better too, closer to what I imagined from the book although Noomi Rapace wasn’t bad by any means.

9. Kevin C. says:

My favorite moments were Christopher Plummer’s acceptance speech, and the tasteful way they went about the “In Memoriam” montage.

• Lauren says:

The In Memoriam segment was one of the best I’ve ever seen. Wonderful song, sang by a wonderful singer (I don’t even know who she was but she was spectacular) that didn’t overpower the display. Wonderful.

• J says:

It was super classy, and I believe the singer was Grammy winner Esperanza Spalding. (I was also thinking… And that, American Idol contestants, is how you do justice to “What a Wonderful World”)

• Cara says:

Yes! And for once they didn’t play the audio of the audience clapping! I always cringed when we were treated to a “most popular deceased” segment…so tacky. Glad they classed it up this year!

10. Sam says:

Okay, so as I understand it The Artist’s score was due in part to Veritgo’s, yes? So why did it win “Best Original Score”? Was it even original?

11. Alex says:

I hope Rock doesnt host next year. One year was more than enough. How about…Tina Fey?

12. Anushe Parekh says:

When Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy won for saving face :) First ever Pakistani to win an oscar!! so proud

13. Darth Pablo says:

NBC needs to start on some over-the-top promos featuring “Acada-Dean Award Winner Jim Rash” Oh wait…nevermind. (Best tweet of the night Michael) ;)

14. Eliza says:

Jim Rash is amazing. As is Bret McKenzie.
    So so sooo happy for these two.

15. Lynne says:

Something is wrong somewhere. Thats definitely for sure.

16. El says:

Community has an Oscar winner!
    And I Love it!!!!!

17. Sydney Australia says:

You don’t remember the year both Halle Berry & Denzel Washington both won best actor??

18. Justin says:

Billy Crystal was pathetic, either Chris Rock, Ben Stiller or Robert Downey jr should his next year. They stopped me from falling asleep.

• chistosa says:

Sorry but I really disagree. Billy Crystal was great as always. People have short memories. Chris Rock was a horrible host. Considering the limited time the host is on air during the broadcast, if you were falling asleep it was for other reasons, not the host.

19. Justin says:

Those would be funny

20. Dez says:

Thank heavens for those stage escorts because Octavia Spencer clearly couldn’t feel her legs and was despite being heavily favored to win, completely overwhelmed.
    I was disappointed that the songs were not performed- I really wanted Jim Parsons, Jason Siegel and the Muppets to sing. Was glad they won!

21. Kira says:

Viola was robbed. Sorry, Meryl.

• Paul says:

Glen Close was robbed.

• TheBeach says:

Meryl’s been robbed about 10 times.

• Lyn says:

Viola was good, but her role really was supporting. I’d like to see her in a leading role, though, and maybe now she’ll get that chance.

• Sam says:

WHO CARES IF IT WAS SUPPORTING/LEAD/GOO-GOO! She was nominated as lead, so lets leave it as that! And besides, the film starts with her narrating, and ends with her. The Help is based from several perspectives, but if you read the title, The ‘HELP’, it’s about the maids. So it’s clear that Davis was the lead in that film.

22. K says:

Enjoyed the show. Wasn’t the most exciting oscars, but it was one of the better ones compared to those in recent memory. Slezak read my mind with the top 5 moments. Wasn’t expecting Meryl Streep to win, but happy she did – her speech was a great end to the show.

23. Tarc says:

I couldn’t possibly be more of a fan of Meryl Streep, but I feel with absolute certainty that Viola Davis got robbed. Meryl is in a class on her own, and really didn’t need the recognition. Other than that, the awards were really, really dull. I loved Esperanza singing during the In Memoriam section – it kept the audience from being rude and tacky by applauding perferentially for some over others. Once, althogether, was so much more respectful.

24. Lana says:

Emma Stone was so adorable. I have a little girl crush on her. ;)

25. Amy says:

I absolutely loved Emma Stone’s presentation. She did a great job. Best bit of the night.
    Second best was when Crystal flubbed his line and “backed up” to fix it. :)

26. Aust says:

Why is everybody always forgetting Glenn Close? She was brilliant in Albert Nobbs but she never gets the attention she deserves. She should have won an oscar a long time ago and this year presents no exception. It is a shame really.

27. Freedomwatcher38 says:

Honestly, I thought it was boring and dull even with Billy Crystal hosting, he usually does well but not tonight, but it was better than last year.
    I did like Emma Stone though she is a cutie :)
    Was happy that George Clooney did not win for best actor, Personally I think Robert Downey JR can act circles around George.

Meryl Streep- Yes, we all know she is a great actress, do I think she should have won tonight no, do I think she’s had better roles yes.. I think Viola Davis should have won, she should have had her time in the spotlight tonight. Do I think the fix was in from the beginning yes, I thought Meryl was gonna win it all along. Because everyone made such a big deal about her 17 year losing streak. (You don’t make a big deal about it and not deliver the upset)
    I am glad The Artist won for best picture, it truly deserved it.. It’s one of those amazing films that comes along once in a life time.
    Things that annoyed me: I could care less about what actors think of the movies…

• Chris says:

She hasn’t won in 30 years…she was nominated 17 times total…get your numbers straight

• J says:

Not to mention they made a huge deal when it was 16 times… And fifteen times…

• Freedomwatcher38 says:

I don’t care she didn’t win for 30 years big freaking deal. I don’t care she lost 17 times, the fact is Viola Davis should have one but the academy played favorites last night. Meryl had better roles she should have won for as well.

• Ben says:

The Academy plays ‘turns’ rather than favourites, and also continually rewards actors portraying real-life people. Streep probably should have won the last couple of years, and didn’t. This year she shouldn’t have, and did.

• me says:

They’ve been making a big deal about her streak of noms without winning for years!
      But yeah it was awesome to see The Artist and Jean Dujardin get the wins.

28. Bleh says:

29. Diz says:

Are you serious bro? The only winner I know from that list is Rango.

30. Amy says:

Jim Rash FTW!!

31. NanCeE* says:

Two disappointments – Bridesmaids didn’t win for screenplay, and Viola Davis didn’t win for The Help. Was rooting for Viola Davis the most. Love Meryl, but I feel like Viola got robbed.

32. Jesse says:

Get over it people! Viola (while great) was a co-star at best in a terrific ensemble cast, not a “Best Actress In a LEADING Role”. That honor belong to either Glenn or Meryl and while both were deserving the best of the 2 won out.

33. Bobbi says:

Love Meryl, but I was very disappointed Viola didn’t win. She was heartbreakingly perfect in The Help and so deserved that win. She truly was robbed.

• Ethan says:

Not really, considering Viola’s role wasn’t even really lead. She should have went for supporting and definitely would have won there.

34. Matthew says:

Octavia Spencer!!!! Montgomery, Alabama is so proud of you!

35. Nina says:

Downey Jr. was incredible as always and Chris Rock was one of the best presenters of the night. Wish that Gary Oldman took the award home, because it is so long overdue. Beautiful Natalie Portman being her charming and cute self. Meryl Streep FTW! And I really liked that The Artist won the prize. :)

36. Groov says:

How has not a single person mentioned the Cirque Du Soleil performance? That was, hands down, the coolest thing I’ve ever seen out of an Oscars broadcast. Amazingly talented performers, filmed beautifully. We rewound and watched it again at the next commercial break. Simply incredible.

37. Vida says:

yaaay! A Seperation is the BEST! IRAN FOREVER!

38. Cary says:

Completely agree. All I could think during the film was “The original was better.” I actually enjoyed the Swedish movies better than the books themselves, which I think is a testament to their excellence.

39. guest says:

Every year I say I am not going to watch, but then every year I do. Then after I think to myself, why did I waste 3 hours watching!?!
    I was mostly not surprised by the winners, however I was not expecting the Artist to win! I did not want Meryl or Viola to win but you can tell that Viola was super mad when her name was not called as she was totally expecting to win. I felt Meryl’s speech was way to self induldgent, about how she never expected to win and how she is sure she will never be up there again…

40. gcem says:

The only time I screamed out loud was when Octavia Spencer and then Christopher Plummer won. It’s about time Mr. Plummer was recognized!

• TheBeach says:

How amazingly handsome did Christopher Plummer look at 82 ?!? Now that’s how to age gracefully (and yes, I’m looking at you, Billy Crystal)

41. Jules says:

Thank god for Le Cirque du Soleil to save the show with that amazing performance…
    Bcuz, I was almost bored…and a bit disappointed by the ambiance almost to cold from thoses stars
    Happy for the Artist gang -to stop Hugo to sweep everything(seriously, who voted this year!!!)
    I’m Canadian, so I’m so proud for
    Mr. Plummer to finally receive his first Oscar…
    Glad that Jean Dujardin won, he deserve it (“in yr face” Clooney & Pitt )
    And my favorite, Rango won too..so,I’m happy

42. kitty says:

Viola should have won. I’ve seen her in two movies (doubt and the help) and both times I have found her compelling.

43. charissa29 says:

Frankly, I found it very entertaining. Most Oscars I watch for the clothes and to see who won, but I actually watched this one. Go Billy Crystal!

44. JJ says:

Emma Stone’s bit was embarrassing and odd. At first I thought she was acting drunk but it was a failed attempt at ‘excited’. Dumb. Not as bad as RDJ and Gwyneth. Billy Crystal did a good job, nothing amazing. It he don’t disappoint like Ricky Gervais’ Golden Globes. As for Viola Davis being robbed, um no, it was barely the lead role and while she’s beyond talented compare what she did to what Meryl did. Margaret frakin Thatcher!?! That’s Oscar material 110%. No comparison. Streep was a shoe-in.

• dan says:

Emma was adorable! I’m not a huge fan, but I thought her bit with Ben was hysterical. The best duo of the night (although Melissa McCarthy and Rose Byrne driking when “Scorsese” was yelled was also pretty funny). As for Streep being a shoe-in…funny that she didn’t win the Screen Actor’s Guide Award (it went to Viola Davis) and that is voted on by members of the acting academy only. Many awards’ pundits/columnists also said Viola would win. So Meryl really wasn’t a shoe-in and many consider her win an upset. A lot of industry people thought that her performance in “Iron Lady” wasn’t her best work and wasn’t even as good as when she did Julia Child in “Julie & Julia.” No doubt that Meryl is a great actress and she does a brilliant job with accents of famous people, but her makeup was the true winner (and her makeup artist won a well-deserved Oscar for his work). I’m a Meryl fan not a hater, I just think that Viola should’ve won for Best Actress.

45. Bud says:

Don’t bring Chris Rock back as host! Terrible idea Michael. If I want to be screamed at for 3 hours I’ll….go somewhere else.

46. Lyn says:

Meryl Streep was great as always — but it would have been a gracious gesture to at least mention Margaret Thatcher, the formidable woman who made Streep’s latest Oscar win possible!

47. Sarah says:

I laughed out loud when Zack Galifincas (sp?)mispronounced his own name!

48. syb says:

The show was kinda dull, but the sideshows were entertaining: JLo’s busty exposition, Angelina auditioning for Vegas showgirl, Sasha’s schtick, Shailene Woodley–all that white sepulcher of a dress was missing was a matching burka.
    Best movie of the year IMO was Midnight in Paris with Margin Call and Moneyball second and third. But Woody’s lucky to get even a nod for the screenplay in light of his annual disdain of the show.

49. Aidan Williams says:

I thought it was so disapointing that The Artist won Best Picture and Best Actor i mean come on it’s a stupid Black & White Movie with No sound and no tallking but i am glad that Meryl Streep won Best Actress but i think that some of the better movies on the Best Picture Category should’ve won so disapointing and it really makes me mad. I thought Billy Crystal did a fantastic job hosting really funny.

50. Amber says:

I have been noticing this all over the web today, and I’m kind of confused that people keep reporting Melissa McCarthy and Rose Byrne presented Documentary Feature, when they really presented Documentary, Short Subject. I can understand one website having an oopsie moment, but I’ve seriously seen like, 5 websites report that it was Documentary Feature, and I know for a fact it was Short Subject to Saving Face. Oh well. I kinda hate myself for being one of those nit picky people, I just found it strange how many websites were getting it wrong.
    Anyhoo, I loved that moment where Meryl Streep won Best Actress. I couldn’t care less about the award itself as I never saw The Iron Lady and found The Help to be the equivalent of a Lifetime movie, but her win did make me win my Oscar pool. Also loved Dean Pelton winning an Oscar, and his leg pose. What the freak was going on with Angelina during that bizarre moment anyway? I think she thought she was being sexy, but all I could think was she looked like she could use a shower. Brad too.
    I thought Ben Stiller and Emma Stone were pretty funny together, but my take on their routine was that they were making fun of the James Franco/Anne Hathaway pairing from the last Oscars with the whole “She’s perky and hyper, he’s cool and sardonic! It’s wacky!” schtick. It was somehow much more hilarious seeing Stiller and Stone do it, though maybe that is because it is easier to take in small doses.