American Idol Reveals the Last 10 of Its Season 11 Top 24: Are You Happy With These Semifinalists?

ariel sprague idolViva la revolucion! The fate of American Idol‘s 11th season is no longer in the hands of a rock legend in your auntie’s Sunday best, that woman who starred in The Cell, and some random dude who’s inexplicably been on America’s No. 1 TV show for over a decade.

Yes, folks, Idol‘s live semifinals begin next Tuesday — and your vote (along with Uncle Nigel’s carefully crafted manipulations) will determine which one of 25 vocalists inherits Scotty McCreery’s crown and scepter.

After announcing 14 of the Season 11 semifinalists on Wednesday night — check out a full recap of the proceedings here — Steven, J.Lo, and Randy gathered on the stage of Le Rêve: The Dream to hand out 10 more live-show berths. Oh, plus, there’ll be a 25th semifinalist this year because why not plagiarize from Simon Cowell’s X Factor playbook? (Next week, the judges will reinstate one of four pre-semifinal evictees — Johnny Keyser, Jermaine Jones, David Leathers Jr., or Awful Cowboy Richie Law — into the competition, creating a Top 25. Innovative!)

On to Thursday’s big announcements:

In the Top 24
No black women!
Oh, wait, Adam “black woman inside him” Brock
Jeremy “cheers for others” Rosado
Shannon “brings out Steven’s pervy side” Magrane
Skylar “nitty gritty country gal” Laine
Hallie “Kim Basinger lookalike” Day
Chase “requisite country dude slot” Likens
Aaron “BGWG (Black Guy With Glasses)” Marcellus
Deandre “lion’s mane, lamb’s voice” Brackensick
Hollie “Uncle Nigel, quit trying to act like she wasn’t part of Season 10!” Cavanaugh
Eben “Adorbs McPinchhischeeks” Franckewitz

Scott “better in Season 10?” Dangerfield
Randoms So Random That Uncle Nigel Didn’t Bother to List Their Names
“Gentle Giant Jermaine Jones” (Really, Ryan?)
Ariel Sprague
Shelby Tweten
David “Mr. Steal Your Girl” Leathers, Jr.

Whew! On that note, I have a full episode recap to write — look for it in the morning here at! — so I’ll turn things over to you.

What do you think of the final 10 contestants in the Top 24? Did any cuts make you sad/happy/furious? Sound off in the comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Lo says:

You’re telling me they couldn’t find ONE great Black female singer to put in the top 24?! The Idol producers should feel ashamed.

• Tim says:

If none were good enough to make the top 12, then so be it. This show doesn’t need an Affirmative Action program.

• Ben says:

I agree. Although Candice Glover probably shouldn’t have been cut. But I don’t like the inherent racism in the suggestion that a top 12 without a particular racial group (any racial group) is flawed.

• Marsaili says:

I agree that Candice shouldn’t have gotten cut, I was very shocked about that, she really sang the heck out of that song and I just really liked her overall.

• Yo says:

I also agree that Candace should not have been cut. For a while I was successful at anticipating which females would be cut by their size: in any group the most petite was the most likely to move on. I don’t generally think anyone should be selected for their race, but I’m not crazy about contestants being excluded for physical attributes either.

• Yo says:

• Grace says:

Fair enough, and yet CANDICE GLOVER!!

• Keisha says:

If Phil Phillips can make the cut then it’s pretty clear that they didn’t cast the show based on who were the best singers. It’s never been about who are the best singers, but even with that being said, it’s highly unlikely that there was only one none white female singer who was good enough to make the top 12.
        American Idol has been trying to appease a certain demographic over the past few years, and the result is the 32% drop in ratings that they are seeing this year.

• chistosa says:

And yet last week Idol held the number 2 and 3 spots for viewership for the week. NCIS was first. Their ratings are still very high.

• Chrissy says:

Phil and that Fracker guy made it, but Candice gets cut? I’m pretty upset.

• tarc says:

Considering that Phil and Crayton are top 5 of the lot, I’d say we have an answer as to why Candice got cut.

• PGV says:

While I agree that Candice was great and should not have been cut in Vegas, you cannot compare a girl not making the show to the boys who made the show. Girls compete against girls for 12 slots, not against the boys.

• tarc says:

Yeah, no. I’d buy a Phil Phillips record right NOW. If top contender Phillips hadn’t have made it, I’d probably have tuned out. And as for the rest, last season saw more record contracts than they’ve had in ages, so I’m not buying a correlation between quality or diversity and ratings. The Neilsens are increasingly nonsense for ratings, viewership in general is down, and there are two other singing shows for competition. I think in many ways, the show is better than ever, and certainly has more artists I’d buy today.

• karenb says:

Call me crazy, but I like Phil Phillips voice. Well, when he’s singing any way! Not so much when he speaks Hick :)

• SJ says:

Your comment reflects willful ignorance if you believe the Top 24 reflects the best singers that auditioned for the show. Don’t forget that this is a reality TV show. Do you believe no one else sang better than Sanjaya that he got a spot to the semi-finals? Or that Antonella girl? And many, many more? This is not just a singing competition, my friend. They are casting a TV show.

• tarc says:

To be honest, Idol is very obviously much, much more fair than it ever was when Simon was around. Simon would never have let half these people through (instead pushing his vastly outdated Whiteny clones through, and axing any jazzy or bluesy people). And while there are quite a few other considerations that happen in the final choices, these kids were all AMAZING. What a wealth of talent to choose from!

• ChrissieK says:

Tarc, RIGHT ON! As of last night they did put thru GOOD singers (and, alas, a crybaby too) much more so than during the reign of Cowell. It is going to be a most interesting season methinks.

• Templar says:

ITA. If Simon the Prat was still on board, Scotty wouldn’t have made top 24 let alone win. Even if you don’t like country music, the kid went platinum. How does that compare to Lee DeWyze?

• nodak says:

I wonder if the Native Americans have noticed a lack of representation on American Idol?

• Tim says:

And when was the last time you saw a Ginger make the top 24? I know there have to be some great Ginger singers!

• Sadie says:

And Asians are under-represented. Maybe it’s because they KNOW that 99.9% of idol voters are mini-barbie-doll cheerleaders from the south.

• Templar says:

Poor reasoning on your part. The Asian pop in the USA is 3% yet Heejun is top 24. And Idol is catering to it’s own demographic. It’s the same logic as not running ads for feminine products during wrestling programs.

• rjones says:

Wow I wonder what you would have said if all the finalist were black.

• renni says:

You truly sound like a fool.

• Mertia says:

• lisa says:

then they shouldnt call it american idol…cause everyone in america aint white..douche bag

• I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, the format of the show is too limiting. Instead of putting in the Best Top 24, they decide to do 12 guys and 12 girls, or this time 13 guys. They do the same thing when they get down to the Top 12. This year especially, there were so many more strong females that went home, ala Lauren Gray and to your point Candice Glover. You’re telling me guys like Eben and Deandre deserve more of a place than either of those 2 ladies? No way.
      -The format of this show really started to bother me in 2010. That’s mainly because I’m still bitter about Catilyn Epperly and/or Lilly Scott not making it but Tim Urban did, just cause they had “too many” good females that year and they didn’t have another spot. That still pisses me off. If it was best Top 12 male or female then they would have been in and Tim would not have.

I have many favorites this year despite the format, Jessica Sanchez, Erika Van Pelt, Elise Testone, Jen Hirsch and Jeremy Rosado. So it’s not an awful Top 24 or Top 25, but it has been stronger in the past for sure.

• Ben says:

I’d say 11 of the guys here are strong, and maybe 7 or 8 of the girls. So it’s not a format/gender thing in this case. Not that I disagree with your general point. Season 3, which had 8 girls in the top 12, was not imbalanced for it in my opinion.

• tarc says:

And I’d say if the allowed for more of one than the other, the guys would have taken several of the slots from the ladies.

• PGV says:

I have to disagree that the boys are stronger than the girls. There are very few boys this season with strong vocal abilities. Phillip Phillips is a weak Dave Matthews wannabe, Colton Dixon is weak and had maybe one good performance, Reed Grimm is a weak Casey Abrams wannabe, and the list goes on. Most all the girls are strong vocally. Jessica Sanchez could outsing Any of the boys… No Contest! Elise Testone, Erika Van Pelt and Jen Hirsh are also vocally better than any of the boys. Lauren Gray, Candice Glover and Ariel Sprague could have been in if the Producers were not set on making it an even 12 boys, 12 girls.
        Randy even made the comment in Vegas that they had too many girls going through. They had to cut some of them to allow for an even number of boys.

• tarc says:

I can’t agree at all. In general, the guys have it all over the girls (it rarely happens, but this year it’s clear). Phil Phillips is stunning, Colton Dixon is clearly dead center of the 80’s revival sound that’s current, (Reed sounds nothing like Casey Abrams, but hey), Jeremy is stunning, and Deandre was the only final performance to literally give me goosebumps.

• PGV says:

DeAndre is the only person you listed with “stunning” vocals. He’s the exception to the rule for the boys. Jeremy nicely sings on-key, but is no more Special than hundreds of other R&B singers. He made it because the judges thought he was a nice kid. They pretty much said as much last night.
            I can go to any local live performance bar where I live and find a Phillip Phillips… many better. Let’s face it, he’s a sweet, cute guy, but also nothing Special vocally. My older brother’s local band has better vocalists.

• tarc says:

Sorry, do I don;t have to ‘face it’ – it’s nonsense to expand my comments on Deandre’s final song to the whole Top 12 guys overall, and it’s also nonsense to suggest Phil Phillips is in any way ‘nothing special’. And since we’ve obviously not heard of your ‘brother’s band’, I have some pretty severe doubts there as well.

• me says:

Yeah well look what happened last year when they had the country singer simply rocker her save me out of the park and the other girl made people’s ears bleed. They picked the other girl for such reasons and how did that work out? She got booted first thing because she wasn’t all that good and the other girl got denied her well deserved shot.

• Michelle says:

Your first sentence is just a string of random words. Coherence, please.

• Billy says:

Lol, just the first sentence is a string of random words? I couldn’t make sense out the first two sentences, and since the third hinges on the two preceding it to make sense, it too fails.

• English Teacher says:

@me — sentence structure, F coherence, F pronoun reference, F verb agreement, F unity, F syntax, F

• tusk says:

OK I figured out what he’s referring to.
        “country singer” is Kendra Chantelle
        “he girl that mde people’s ears bleed then got booted first thing because she wasn’t all that good” is Naima or Ashton
        Because they all competed for the wild card. The girl who got booted first thing would indicate he means Ashton, but he could also mean Naima
        So he was complaining that Kenra rocked her save me performance (wild card?) while Ashton/Naima made our ears bleed and got kicked off first thing (next week).
        How’s that? :D

• Tusk says:

Ugh too late to spell check, apologies for that.

• darcy's evil twin says:

tusk – have you considered employment with the CIA as a code breaker?

• me says:

Yes, that is what I meant. Thank you for the translation haha.
          (And I meant Ashton, not Naima. Ashton had a really brutal save me performance. Even worse, she had only had a single really good performance on her entire run up to that point as well. Kendra had had better performances all along and simply knocked it out of the park during her save me audition. The save me performance round was a total farce.)
          I was tired and sick of typing at that point and just whipped that post out in a rush while watching something on TV at the same time.
          (I couldn’t remember the two girls names and didn’t want to get too distracted from the show I was watching while googling up their names).

• Krista says:

Haha-I thought it was just “me” who couldn’t understand that sentence!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Perhaps they learned from their mistakes last year when they sent Naima Adadapo(sp?) and Ashthon Jones through when Lauren Turner, who was fabulous, was sent home. That said, Candace Glover should have been sent through. Candace is, in my opinion, better than either Naima or Ashthon.

• Jason says:

I agree. Just including mediocre singers because they fit a demographic is wrong. MEmber that awful Paige girl who made it over Lily and Kaitlynn Epperly only to sing about seventeen off notes the next week? I saw a lot of the African American ladies blowing it in Hollywood week. I think they were fair. ALl the girls who made it are pretty good singers.

• chistosa says:

It is important to remember that as mentioned by another poster, they are casting a tv show and they are also casting the tour which makes a bundle of money for them. Technically perfect vocalists with no charisma do not sell concert tickets. And last year on the tour Naima was one of the more popular performers and actually quite good.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m glad to hear Naima was good on tour because I didn’t like her at all on the program!

• Tusk says:

Naima’s best vocal performance was in the group round with Jacob and Haley in “Long and winding Road”. She never went back to that kind of vocal because I think she realised she was one of the weaker singers of the finalists, so wanted to do something to make her stand out, differentiate herself in other ways.
            That’s why she went to the “African Dance” and Jamaican accent route, which caused her vocals to suffer during the performance. She did have a good voice, just the others, for the most part, were so much more distinctive and better in general.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Although I did not care for Naima I am, above everything else, a firm believer in the American Dream. I hope Naima is no longer cleaning toilets and sincerely hope Idol offered Naima the opportunity to make a better life for herself. I think that’s the most important aspect of the program – not whether or not someone becomes a superstar, not how racially diverse it is, and not whether or not Jennifer and Steven are using it as platform for new videos. A lot of the contestants have not become huge stars but they’re making a decent living and doing far better than they would have been without Idol. For me that’s what makes it a great show.
            Okay, off the soap box and back to the sarcasm.

• Yo says:

I still have not recovered from Lauren Turner. What happened to Lauren and the Haley Wars have prompted a disinterest in this year’s show. Politics are enough of an outrage; who needs it?

• me says:

More than that, don’t forget that they continued messing up even after they picked who to sing for the save me.
        They drop kicked Kendra Chantelle despite the fact that she had a superb save me performance while Ashton had a screechy, ear-splitting disaster of a performance.

• leigh says:

The top 24 is a very diverse group, nevertheless.

• scrutinizer says:

agree with you 100%. there were at least 3 terrific black female singers….and one of them, ashlee altise, didn’t even make it past hollywood week. something is definitely wrong with this!

• Beverly Johns says:

There was one, Candice Glover, but they chose not to let her through. Also, Ariel Strague should have made the list. There probably were others, but they didn’t even bother to showcase them. I am so disappointed cause Idol was one of my favorite shows. At least I won’t have to vote all night and I won’t miss other things to watch it.

• Katty P says:

Do like me. I am not watching this year because not even one Black female made the top 24. Let White people watch it and invest their energy on their own people.

• Mommy says:

@Katty P
        “let white people watch and invest their energy on their own people” What kind of racist crap is that…I was under the impression that we were all people, with equal rights. Isn’t that what “your people” have been fussing about for the last century? Why would you even say some dumb crap like that?

• anton says:

They are casting a show and make decisions based on who they think will help ratings and who can withstand the rigorous schedule. I am truly shocked that they couldnt find 1 black woman . This is not about affirmative action, given the mediocre quality of most of the women, there were several black women who were better singers than many of the top12. Shame

• Linda says:

I feel the Producers and the Judges should be ashamed. There were several “black females” talented enough to be in the final twelve. You are sending the wrong message that if you are not “blonde or blue eyed”, that you are not commercial enough or marketable. You did have representation for the Asian and Hispanic Community in the female category. I guarantee you that you will loose lots of viewers, including myself. American Idol should follow the example of “The Voice” as far as how they choose the participants (sight unseen).

2. Keisha says:

I guess they felt that since Adam Brock feels like he has a black woman inside of him that they didn’t need to cast a real one for the show. SMH. I used to love that this show wasn’t like other reality competition shows, and that everybody had a chance, no matter what race they were.

• Ben says:

Are you implying that black women don’t have a chance to get on idol any more? Because none made it in the top 12 in one season?

• Keisha says:

I’m saying that the show hasn’t cast a viable contestant who isn’t white in a few years. I’m glad that Fantasia tried out in the third season, because the with the way that the show has been cast over the past few years, the producers would have paid more attention to her physical appearance, and would not have given her voice a chance.

• Ben says:

I think your dreaming. It’s not the producers who are not giving those contestants the chance, it’s the public. Take Naima Adedapo, Ashthon Jones and Jacob Lusk as examples of that. I felt all of them deserved to go further than they did (In Ashthon’s case, maybe not a lot further). Do you think Scotty won because of his looks? Can Jeremy Rosado or Joshua Ledets inclusion over someone like Johnny Keyser be called looks-based? I think you are seeing a bias in production that does not exist. If anything, season 10s wild card picks demonstrate the producers attempts to retain racisl diversity in idol.

• Keisha says:

Naima wasn’t a viable contestant, she couldn’t sing. Ashthon didn’t get any screentime before the semi final episode, so it was highly unlikely that she was going to go far. But, to go along with what I said earlier, the show is trying to appease certain people in the audience, which is why they have cut down on casting certain types of people. I think they are going to find out that this strategy isn’t going to work very well when it comes to the ratings.
            One more thing, I think it’s highly unlikely that the producers will ever cast a show that doesn’t include any white males or any white females, even if the people of other races are better singers.

• Ben says:

That may have something to do with statistics, in which the vast majority of the American population is white. In terms of contestant per head of population, I think you’ll find black comes ahead well ahead of white as a racial group throughout idol’s history. (And by the way, this is coming from someone whose favourite contestants are almost always the black women. I disagree with you that Naima couldn’t sing. In fact after her audition and hollywood I had her in my top 2 overall.) I think reducing American Idol ratings to a racial issue is disrepectful to genuine racial issues – the ratings were down from the start of the season, long before you could argue any kind of demographic appeasement by the selection of the top 12.

• Marsaili says:

Naima couldn’t sing? That’s news to me, I thought she was great! This whole racial thing is a non-issue—I think it is disgusting to even suggest it.

• SJ says:

• rjones says:

It is all about the rating people,the almighty dollar dollar bill if the show becomes too black the rating will drop.Picture this,only 3 white people made the top 24 the rest are black,think about that.

• tarc says:

Naima could sing just fine – if not very well. She was one of the better contestants on Idol that season. American just doesn’t like reggae much. She did better on her jazz weeks (also not a general American favorite), but he styles were not Idol friendly.

• me says:

Haley was one of the best looking contestants last year and white and yet despite also being the best and most interesting singer all they did is try to trash her down and make her look bad and do everything possible to keep her out of the top three.
          And the country girl blew the other girls away in the save me and yet she didn’t get saved.

• Are You Forgetting says:

• SJ says:

“If anything, season 10s wild card picks demonstrate the producers attempts to retain racisl diversity in idol.”
          No, it doesn’t when they keep picking the crappy black singers. Do you think Ashton was one of the best black singers that auditioned? Get real. The producers are trying to fix the game to favor certain contestants. The show is under pressure to produce people who will be on the billboard charts and the producers shove certain contestants they think can be successful down our throats. They put the fodder people in to make sure the ones they want will go through and then they claim think they can claim diversity. There is no way a contestant like Melanie Amaro would have made it on Idol in recent years. Heck, even Ruben Studdard won’t make the show now. They now pick black people who don’t stand a chance or this year, or in this case no females at all.

• Beverly Johns says:

I don’t think Blacks should even show up for Idol auditions anymore. The judges outwardly imply that Blacks can’t sing. I bet those 3 judges wouldn’t have let Whitney or Beyonce to the top 24 either.

3. Templar says:

So far I’m interested in Jessica Sanchez, Deandre, and Creighton. My guess is they’ll recall Johnny K.

• tuppy says:

You’re reading my mind. I’m all about Jessica and Deandre right now. And, though I hated his first audition, Creighton has grown on me — he can really sing!
      And, yes, Johnny’s the only one who makes sense as a last-minute addition since he wasn’t one of the ones to JUST get cut. Would be excited to have him back so we can get rid of Reed Grimm, Adam Brock, and Phil Phillips a bit faster.

• TheBeach says:

I agree that Johnny Keyser will (and should, considering the other three possiblilities)be the one they bring back. However, I think it also might be because Nigel saw the major online backlash when that erupted when he was cut.

4. Keisha says:

One more thing, a rock has more soul than Adam Brock. That Gokey clon needs to realize that he is not a R&B singer.

• tarc says:

He’s a blues/white soul singer, which might explain your confusion. And he’s got plenty of soul.

• Delirious says:

Defo… I don’t get why he’s in there. I would’ve given his spot to either David Leathers Jr, or to Jermaine Jones (even if it’s for vocal diversity sakes). Just like I would’ve gladly given both Skylar Laine and Hollie Cavanagh’s spots to Lauren Gray and Shelby Tweeten. And tbh, I was quite upset with Colton’s snub last year, but this year, I’m not feeling so confident about him – maybe it’s because he wasn’t planning on trying out?
      Dunno… Who will be this year’s Lauren Turner and Kendra Chantelle? Those two should’ve tried this year too, dammit! Even if uncle Nigel will NEVER let something like that happen (risking people seeing he’s not right about his choices and discards? nowai!)

5. Anna B says:

Whoa – that is crazy news re: additional unknown guy. My guess is Johnny for sure as well.

6. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

I figured it out who the extra guy will be! Following a tip from MJ’s Big Blog, I turned to the special American Idol brand of social media. Two of the four Wildcard men have the proper “AI11” Twitter accounts, but only one has an Idol Facebook account, and I won’t say who it is, but it’s who I wanted it to be! Now excuse me while I go happy dance like the Top 24 were just doing.

• Shana says:

Thanks for not posting who it is. I really hope it’s Johnny!

• TheBeach says:

Thanks,IdolFlash (or should I say “Sherlock”). That’s some pretty impressive investigating. Judging by how happily you’re dancing, I’m guessing it’s Johnny too.

• Jane says:

Actually, TWO have facebook pages. You have to search for the second one using his *real* name and not his “American Idol stage name”, but its the same name as his AI11 twitter.
      I suspect it may not be the one you hope for, even though I was rooting for your choice also. There is two reasons I have for suspecting it is “the other one”, but hard to explain why without tipping who that other one is… One reason has to do with a reason you gave in a previous post, about “television drama”.

• Jane says:

I suspect the second facebook reserved contestant may be in case one of “the 24+1 chosen” get sick or have to withdraw before the show gets fully underway … ie, an “understudy” role. Anyway, look for the contestant whose AI name is different from his legal name, for my personal prediction of who gets added as the 25th cast member.

7. Saulo says:

Where’s the black girl from Deandre’s group? She was terrific in Vegas.

8. Jake says:

The girl who’s boyfriend was like the vow and was complaining that they aren’t looking for artists — should be in the top 24. Why do some of the girls who got through got raspy voices? Colton Dixon all the way….

9. Christina says:

I think the top 24 picks went pretty according to par. But I don’t think there’s ever been a more annoying group of front runner guys. Adam Brock, Reed Grimm, and Creighton Fraker get under my skin. If these guys last long it will be another season 9 for me. I’ll be done by the top 10.

10. Ben says:

This twist is so well signposted they may as well just have sent Simon off to Johnny’s house…

11. Mary says:

So angry AI couldn’t find time to insert 10 seconds of singing for Hallie, Chase, or Aaron. I know the show is hardly fair in its coverage, but come on. Clips of Aaron and Chase were interwoven during their audition episode, too, weren’t they? Poor guys.
    And Hollie at the end – hasn’t been shown until now (right?), and can’t even fully celebrate because of the two girls eliminated next to her. Yeesh.

• Shana says:

I wonder why they didn’t mention that Hollie was in the competition last season :S

• TheBeach says:

Thank you, Mary. I was so irritated tonight that they spent so much time on interviews and families and yet left no time to show the final solos for 3 that actually made the cut. Grrrrrrrrrr

12. ragepup says:

surprised that lovely lovely amazing hollie cavanaugh got such little screentime this season despite being such a large part of last season’s hollywood story arch and despite making it into the top 24 this year. i wouldve expected more hype around her considering her story is so recent!

• Josh says:

Is she someone big? I honestly didn’t have a clue who she was! Really bad edit on Idol’s part. Again why she nasty Brielle and her mom? Who not concentrate on people who made it into the top 24(and who will actually get into the top 12 because Brielle doesn’t stand a chance).

13. Shana says:

try saying Hallie, Hollie, Haley, Baylie three times fast

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Oh gosh, what if they all make the Top 12/13? Or even worse, they all go on the tour? How on Earth will the audience keep their heads on?! (Okay, seriously, what are the odds of that…?)

14. djed1371 says:

Scott Dangerfield got no air time. Hopefully he’ll try again or maybe his Wisconsin band will make headlines. Too bad it didn’t work out for him last year when JLo loved him so much.

15. Justin says:

I am absolutely disgusted with Hollie’s edit. Last year, if I recall correctly, JLo was P*issed that Steven and Randy wanted to send Hollie home. I think she told her to come back because Hollie “had the ability to win the entire competition.” That is a pretty strong statement – a statement that Jennifer has not said to anyone else she has ever cut. And they don’t mention ONE word about Hollie’s run last year???? But they do mention prior seasons’ history for Deandre, Scott, Baylie, Aaron, and Colton?????? I felt like I was hallucinating while watching them not say a word about Hollie’s experience last year. BTW…I thought Hollie and Deandre were pretty incredible.

16. Josh says:

So let’s get this out of the way…unless some miracle happens Hollie Day, Chase Lankin/Larkin/Does It Matter and Aaron Marcellus have no chance in cracking the top 12/13. Out of the 3 Hollie has the best chance, only because Chase is in a crowded field of boys who already are #1s(Philip, Heejun, Colton who are pretty much in the top 5 guys…maybe Joshua Ladet too). Hopefully Hollie knocks it out of the park. But come on Idol, you didn’t give these three camera time at all this season. Why waste time on nasty Brielle and Cowboy(who didn’t even crack the top 24)…
    Anyway Deandre is a good singer and all…but I’d never vote for him or want to hear him on the radio. Honestly anyone else here watch ALIAS? I rewatched it recently with a couple of friends and there is this scene in season 1 where Sydney is the bath tube, having this huge emotional moment. The song Deandre sang was playing and it totally took me out of the scene…
    I thought “Wow that lady has a really high pitch voice” when I heard Deandre sing that song I always thought “Wow that lady has a really hit pitch voice”..and “I really want to watch Alias season 2″…So his song was a completed lose…I just haven’t enjoyed a single one of his performances.
    Sort of cruel to make the the teens old take the “final seat”…Though I honestly think neither should be put throug Eben doesn’t sound like he hit puberty and the other kid is too unlikable. I don’t even know who Holly is…I mean I liked Arielle. but who is Hollie? Oh well…

• pnkl8y says:

Hollie made it to this episode last year. It’s really weird that they did not show her at all until the end, and then not even one mention that she made all this way in just LAST SEASON? Makes me think they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Like she maybe did not do that well early on and they still wanted her in the top 24 OR, they want people to think she is new this year for some reason.

17. GeeGee says:

Too many interchangeable blonde girls.
    Seeing Richie’s snug face again made me want to punch the TV. I’d be afraid “vote for the worst” would keep him annoying us for weeks.

• lj says:

Yes thank you, all of this. I like more of the girls than the guys, but appearance-wise, when they were doing the intro dances at the end I could only kind of tell who was who.

• Chrissy says:

Yes. Yes. Yes. I was so baffled when I saw all those girls dancing together. So disappointing to not have a more diverse group. Are you telling me there aren’t any talented latino, african american, mexican, indian etc women good enough to get on this shows top 24?

• tarc says:

The entire batch of blonde girls could go now for all I care. Jen Hirsch and the dark-haired country singer were the only ones up to the level of the guys.

18. Josh says:

Oh ps…It looks like we know why they just magically cut Johnny what’s his face…They’re just throwing him for a random top 13…Which I think is pretty bull considering he wasn’t even in the top 42! such an annoying twist, and sort of unfair to the top 12 guys if he makes it through.

19. Ellen says:

Just wish that Lauren Gray had made the top 24…I really liked her voice!!

20. James says:

I hope the “Gentle Giant” makes it through…Richie is just a Scotty wannabe…Johnny did not even crack the top 42…and I don’t even remember who the other guy is so he must not of been very good…Oh wait not I remember…the annoying 12 year old who keeps stealing everyone’s woman and hes not even through puberty! He would be better suited on “Americas next top Pimp!”

• xyzzbc says:

Yeah, Gentle Giant. The cowboy dude is not what we need. He might be better than Scotty but he is actually even more annoying and more of a jerk (Scotty was no innocent country boy, he played that part to a T to get producer approval and to not upset the middle america voting base, but he wasn’t a jerk either).
      I bet is will be that guy all the girls are loving. He actually wasn’t bad and the judges really loved him at the start. Although maybe it will be the gentle giant.

• Snsetblaze says:

If they have to have a wild card, then I’d like to see the Gentle Giant go through too (though I’d have preferred Lauren, Airielle or Candace). I do like his voice but I’m not sure how marketable it is right now – outside of country music which has several deep voiced popular singers. This guy is not a country singer though. He sort of fits in with those guys from the 70s like Isaac Hayes.

21. Sam M says:

As much as everyone has been bashing this year’s talent, I think it has all turned out in the end, because the pool of contestants is pretty great when you think about it. Granted, I think Lauren Gray, Johnny (I think he’ll be in on Tuesday), and Ashley Robles (um, why was she cut?) should have gone farther but I’m also very happy with the ones that made it through. Personally, I’m pulling for Hallie(!), Hollie, Baylie, Haley, Elise and Colton. I think they all have a shot to make the top 24.

22. someoneotherother says:

So I see that they put through Denise Richards. Smart move. The country hating folks will either have a tough time even noticing that she is singing country or for the first time in their lives, simply won’t mind. (plus from the few little clips I have seen of Idol this season she doesn’t seem all that country-styled anyway)
    And they also put through 7′ tall model.
    Maybe I will watch little bits of Idol this season after all. Just tiny bits though, they deserve no more after the mockery they turned the show into last year (although more minor signs have been there for many seasons already).
    (and you say what about so and so and so and so, well I don’t know, who cares if anyone else can sing better, since last year they proved once and for all that the show is nothing about who is the best or most interesting, I’m not falling for that trap and getting sucked into it again in a serious way, learned my lesson.)

23. Pat says:

Can I just reiterate how awfully produced these three hours were? Atrocious.
    Last year, we got all Top 24 at least 10-15 seconds of their final Sing For Your Life performances. At least to hear what they sound like on their final shots.
    This year? Hallie Day, Chase Likens, Aaron Marcellus, Haley Johnsen, Chelsea Sorrell. NOTHING.
    Such a awful step backward for this show. I hate Nigel.
    BTW: Eben, Skylar, and Joshua are going to be those nails on a chalkboard voices that go far in this competition, aren’t they?

• tarc says:

I have to agree completely. They took three hours to pick the top 24 and they barely showed any singing, and then skipp all of the singing from some of the people! They seemed to have spent hours featuring the stupid, repetitive judges comments baiting the contestants (why bother, seriously, it’s just so bad). And for goodness sakes, stop showing the judges whining over and over how hard it is for them to earn their multiple million dollar paychecks. It simply reeks of ridiculous privledge. Is choosing fun? Nope, but it’s a lot cushier job than 99.9% of the other folks in the world.

• Keith says:

What I find amazing is that some of the final 42 never really got much air time at all.Adam Decker made the final 42 but they didn’t even show him being cut by the judges.They could of at least shown all the final contestants instead of just focusing on a few of them.

24. Josh says:

I just really hope it isn’t Johnny.
    How unfair is that Lauren Gray was eliminated in the top 42, mostly because of a poor performance in The “Sing For Your Life” round and Johnny, who had a poor performance in Vegas Group rounds and unknown performance in Vegas costs through…I’m sure they’d call him as inconsistent as Lauren…What if he messed up in “Sing For Your Life” Why only a top 13 guy, why not girl? If Johnny has a chance, what about Candice Glover? It’s just unfair. And honestly one of the most manipulative moves Idol has ever made(like when they eliminated him they weren’t planning on bringing him back right away!)

25. Andrea says:

I think it’s ridiculous there are no black females in the top 24, but a ton of blinds who sound the same. I hope Johnny is the wild card. That guy is a total star and it made no sense why they cut him. I love Heejun, and Philip and their Bromance. Skylar, Erika, and Hollie are good. I find Adam, Creighton, and Reed totally annoying.

• Templar says:

This is just my half-baked theory. Nigel really wants a girl to win this year to dispel the growing buzz that Idol will never have another female winner. But he really doesn’t want to limit the text voting. Idol’s partnership with AT&T is a cash cow. Realistically, given the ethnic percentages of the US combined with the Idol demographic, there is little chance for a black contestant of either gender winning. There hasn’t been a person of color in the finals since every kid in the country got a cell phone. With the popularity of Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus and Lady Antebellum, the best chance is a really feminine blond that girls will relate to. It stinks, but there it is.

26. Johnny says:

I was fine with all of the picks for the Top 24, mostly because all of the cut people I WOULD have put in the Top 24 didn’t even make the Top 42 (Johnny Keyser, Jairon Jackson, Candice Glover, Symone Black). I would have maybe like to have seen Ariel Sprague get through instead of, say, Baylie Brown or Chelsea Sorrell (they seem like the same person, except Baylie actually got screentime so Chelsea is probably fodder). I thought Ariel was great, and the judges constantly gave her great feedback, but apparently that wasn’t enough to get her through.
    Looking forward to Heejun and Phillip for the guys and Jen, Skylar, Elise, Erika, & Haley for the girls. Definitely NOT looking forward to Shannon, Eben, Reed, or Adam.
    As for the wildcard,
    1) Richie Law – no freaking way. After his horrid edit, there is no way they would go through the whole process of bringing in a 25th who would just be a guaranteed eliminee the first week anyway.
    2) David Leathers – maybe, but I’m not a fan. People may have commented on Johnny K’s cockiness, but David has just as much arrogance, if not more, and he doesn’t quite have the voice to back it up. Seems like an MJ wannabe.
    3) Jermaine Jones – possibly, but I’m also not a fan. Can anyone honestly see someone with that vocal tone singing a hit pop song?
    4) Johnny Keyser – my pick 100%. Felt that his elimination was unjust in the first place, and while it may seem unfair that he got to skip the final round, there may have been some other reason (besides talent) that he was sent packing, since they didn’t even show his performance. He’s got a great voice, he is attractive, J-Lo loved him (and yet didn’t have a reaction shot when he was sent home), and I think he is better than many of those already in the Top 24.

• TheBeach says:

I agree with your assessment. Johnny is the logical choice. He is attractive, very talented and could/will go a long way in the competition. Jermaine is just not “current”. He would do very well in a choir or group singing bass and his crying/sweating doesn’t help his cause. They have already cast a baby Bieber in Eben. I don’t see them casting a baby Michael with David. Richie…no, just no.

27. cassie says:

Johnny Keyser is going to be back. In fact I think the “twist” was thrown in only to ensure his spot in the live shows. Between the battle of the sexes, I’m going to be the odd one and pick the boys. They have got a wide variety of different kind of singers. Singers who can make it mainstream and be heard on the radio or race to the charts. They are all unique in their own ways and while, that doesnt always work for Idol, it will work in the current music industry. So far Phil Phillips, Joshua Ledet, Aaron Marcellus, Johnny Keyser, Heejun Han and Colton Dixon could crack the top 12. Reed Grimm and Creighton Fraker are looking on the outside. As for thr girls, for some reason, most of them sound the same to me. The ones who stood out are Jen Hirsch and Jessica Sanchez. I dont particularly remember the others because all of them sing the same type of songs. I’m for the guys this years. My favorites are Phil Phillips, Joshua Ledet, Jessica Sanchez and Heejun Han.

• Marsaili says:

Go to youtube and look up Reed, he sings with his family and with his band Shoeless Revolution, he’s actually pretty fantastic. I think people are going to be surprised when they see what Reed and Phillip are capable of and I’m sure they will both be in the top 12. I agree with Jen Hirsch and Jessica Sanchez and I really like Erica van Pelt as well. I have to say, honestly, there really isn’t anyone I don’t like this year, no one really gets on my nerves—people are complaining about Creighton and Reed and Phillip and how their movements and “antics” irritate them–while I see those “antics” more as them having a pure joy for what they are doing. I see that in Jen as well.

28. Princess Adora says:

Michael, I totally noticed that about Hallie Day too! Glad to know I’m not crazy :D

29. Jason says:

Congratulations Slezak for making the Top 24!!! I wasn’t sure you’d make it and they left us with a cliffhanger on Wednesday before they revealed you made it!!! Good looking out Dawg!!!!

30. Marsaili says:

Oh, Eben’s last name is Frankiewitz. Sorry, I’m terrible with all these names.

31. Jason says:

I just had a horrible thought. They’re probably gonna have a whitney Houston night this year.

• YowzaPowza says:

Why is that horrible? Sounds like a great idea to me.

• Jason says:

Because I don’t want drug addicts celebrated. Especially ones with songs that have been overplayed on Idol for years.

• YowzaPowza says:

You watch a television show with Steven Tyler, who was admittedly one of the biggest drug addicts of his time. They’ve sung songs on here by people with questionable habits for ten years. Why should Whitney be any different? Her life is a tragedy, and one can celebrate her music without celebrating her behavior. As far as her music being overplayed on Idol for years, other than I Have Nothing, her songs really haven’t been played much at all. I recall many contestants singing I Have Nothing, and Haley did I’m Your Baby Tonight last year. There could be more I don’t remember, but I don’t think there’s too many. Whitney’s song book is huge and there is enormous potential to have a great night if they went with a Whitney tribute.

• tarc says:

Well, that would eliminate virtually all music… Judgmental much?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Eliminate all music? Heck, it would eliminate most of the viewing audience over the age of 21. I can’t handle Idol most nights without a large glass of wine.

• tarc says:

There’s a big difference between a glass of wine and a ‘drug addict’.

32. YowzaPowza says:

Disappointed we didn’t even hear all 42 contestants’ final songs. I suspect the producers possibly recognized that some of them were clearly better than those who made it and didn’t want to let us know how ridiculously stupid these judges are sometimes. Still peeved about Lauren Grey not making it, but they feel the need to give us like 18 country girls. And just when I thought they made some good decisions with the guys, they go and tell us they’re bringing another one in? Seriously? All four possibilities I despised. The twelve they had were just fine.

33. Jason says:

I think there are no black women contestants because the X Factor hogged them all. Simon was the judge who preferred black women singers.

34. Tahoe Mike says:

Anyone else annoyed that AI now want’s to monopolize our tv’s three nights a week?
    I don’t like the gender balancing thing, and agree with those who say just put the best through.
    There is no freaking way they would bring back Richie Law, right??

35. darcy's evil twin says:

I dragged out my Ouija Board and here is my prediction for what will go down when we get to the Top 12:
    Holly, Hallie, Haley, and Baylie will be the first four members of the Top 12 sent home because the texting teenybopper girls will be (a) jealous, and (b) confused by the similar names and blonde hair. To make matters worse they’ll all sing “Over the Rainbow” on the same night, which will confuse the voters even more. In an act of frustration voters will just vote for the other finalists.
    Either Elise or Jen will make the Top 12 and will fight tooth and nail to beat the guys and stay in the competition every week while resisting the urge to smack Jennifer Lopez when she calls them “baby”. Skylar the Country Chick will inherit Lauren Alaina’s “Lennon Sisters Ballgown Collection” and will easily coast from week to week on the country vote.
    Deandre Brackensick will be eliminated right on the heels of Hallie/Haley/Hollie/Baylie. Once the four hot blondes and the love child of Art Garfunkel are out of the way, four of the most annoying guys that have ever hit the Idol stage will duke it out with Elise or Jen every week: Phillip Phillips, Heejun, Creighton Fraker, and Reed “The Nanny” Grim. Johnny Keyser will never be on the “stools of doom” because he’ll perform every song shirtless from the hot tub.
    Then, a HUGE scandal will rock “Idol” – the texting teenyboppers will realize Deandre Brackensick was, in fact, a GUY and not female. They’ll demand Uncle Nigel give them all a “do-over” because if they’d known he was a guy they would have voted for him! He’s so dreamy! Heejun will offer all sorts of hilarious commentary on the scandal.

36. cassie says:

I actually find Reed really charming. His hand movements and quirky are part of the reason why I find him so adorable. Phillip Phillips is definitely a genre singer and I love it. I especially like contestants who put their unique spin to songs. Phil’s acoustic version of the Usher song was really worth it. So was Joshua’s Jar of Hearts.

37. TheBeach says:

I was so hoping they would find a Melinda Doolittle this year, alas…

38. Snsetblaze says:

Okay, with regard to the four guys singing for the 13th male spot – why Johnnie Keyser? Whether I like them or not (and the cowboy is terrible), I could understand why they were thinking about the other three. Keyser was cut before the last round. The other three were not and sang in the last round. So there is an argument that if you have to have a “wildcard” spot, then there is an argument to bring back those guys. But bringing Keyser back is unfair to all those cut during the last round. If he had been good enough, he would have made it to the last round.
    And has there ever been a season where there were 13 women and 12 men? I don’t recall for sure but I don’t believe so.

• tarc says:

Why Keyser? He’s the right age, he’s hot, and he can sing really well. Simple eh?

• Josh says:

I think most only care about the hot part…
        The fact is he was cut and he didn’t get to perform in the top 42…Given that Lauren Gray was most likely eliminated due to her lukewarm top 42 performance, why should Johnny get to bypass that when his Vegas Group Round performance was HORRIBLE. How is that fair in the least?

• tarc says:

I beleive it was a flip of the coin as to whether it would be a man or a woman for the 25th slot, and then it was judges picks. His Vegas group performance has the seizure/fainting girl in it – I don’t think anyone would hold that nightmare against anyone.

• pnkl8y says:

I agree, but I never understood why they cut him in the first place!

39. Alex says:

So, after four years of no female winner, they decide the guys need an extra break by stacking the deck with an extra guy?

40. Sara says:

Oh for crying out loud. This is ridiculous. It isn’t racist, it isn’t sexist, yes, it is casting for a TV show but I really don’t believe they intend to make it so no black women get through, or that there are more men then women. Because there’s one more man, it might be that 2 guys get voted out to begin with to make it even — who the hell knows? I haven’t been a fan of Idol since The Voice and X-Factor made their debuts, but even I can admit that they don’t deliberately cut people because of their race.
    On that note; only people I’m excited for are Adam Brock and Heejun.

41. Jen says:

Bring on the butt shaking and jazz hands!! There’s definitely some talent on the show, but Reed sticks out to me as more of a well-rounded artist than the rest. He should help provide a counter-balance to all of the power-vocals we can expect this year.
    Deandre’s really growing on me as well.
    I’m disappointed that they’re pushing another guy through, especially if it’s Johnny. I just don’t get the appeal.

• tarc says:

Yup, you are right, you just don’t get the appeal. How? I have no idea.

• Jen says:

I know he can’t help it but he looks like he needs a really long nap, and it makes me sleepy.
        Plus he already had his shot, and it bothers me a bit if he’s able to skip rounds I suppose.

• tarc says:

Art is pretty subjective, so it really does not surprise me that they’d occasionally like a ‘do-over’ on a choice. Sometimes hindsight really is 20-20.

42. Dan says:

I must say, I’m a sucker for these redemption stories–it’s nice to see Baylie, Colton, Aaron, and Hollie make it after they got rejected (Yes, I know Brielle is in this category, but until the live shows start, I’m telling myself that she got cut and Lauren Gray took her place).
    Yes, it’s horrible that there are no black women (Candice and Ariel come to mind for me–I would have those two instead of Chelsea or Jen), but remember last year only had two, and one of them sang “Only Girl in the World” for her semi-final performance, which was one of the worst of the year. Last year wasn’t so great either. And if we’re really digging back, Season 9 only had two as well–both got cut in the semis. Season 8: two women made the finals, one got booted in the first week and the other fizzled out pretty quickly (Oh Lil, you had so much potential). Basically, we haven’t seen a solid black female contestant since Syesha and we haven’t seen many of them thrive and really succeed except on seasons 3 and 6, when black women dominated the shows (and three of them–Melinda Doolitte, Fantasia, and Jennifer Hudson–are, in my opinion, three of the best voices to ever hit that stage). Basically, my point is this: it’s not a new thing. Women of color have always struggled on this show (last year’s final 13 saw all four women of color eliminated 1-2-3-4) for whatever reason–it’s a horrible horrible trend, but why are people just taking note now? More importantly, how can this problem be fixed? Are we forever going to see white guys with guitars win this?
    Also, let’s take note that we finally have black male contestants that have potential to go very very far, something that was not true last season, season 8, season 7, or season 6. I can really see Aaron doing well, DeAndre is on fire, and Joshua has a range like no other, and is damn powerful too.
    If I had to pick my top five now, I would say this: ELISE (LOVE HER), Hollie (that clip they showed tonight was amazing), Phil, Jessica and Aaron. I’m also looking forward to Skylar (I don’t know why, but I find her to be very entertaining), Erika, Colton, and DeAndre (who has grown on me a lot).
    Again, I would like to express my dismay at the dismissal of Lauren Gray. Amazing tone, so powerful, but incredibly control. I’m sad she won’t come back.

43. aravis says:

When did they show Aaron getting into the top 24?! I totally missed him.

44. Vetle says:

Can’t believe they didn’t show footage from Hollie in season 10. I feel so nervous for her in terms of making it through the lives now… :/

45. Bill says:

Since the 3rd season when race became somewhat of a controversy in the voting, there has been only 1 African-American winner (actually biracial). I remember the week during season 3 when Elton John commented about race playing a factor with 3 African-American women being in the bottom 3 when they were the best singers on the show … this included Jennifer Hudson. It’s just very odd that very few great African-American singers have been on the show since season 3 when during the first 3 seasons, there were African-Americans contending every season and winning 2 of the first 3 seasons. Not claiming a racist plot, but you just have to wonder what’s going on with the show.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Being the numbers geek I am, I’m going to say the three best African-American singers (Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia, and …. Latoya London? wow do I hate getting old)ended up in the bottom not because of racism but because of math – they SPLIT THE VOTE, Sir Elton. At one time Mick Jagger attended the London School of Economics but Elton didn’t, I guess.
      And that’s why, based on what I’ve heard so far, Hollie/Haley/Hallie/Baylie might have a tough time sticking around.

• Ridge says:

Just because those four are blonde doesn’t mean they’ll split the vote… if anything, we’ll get a vote split among Baylie, Chelsea, and Skylar (and Chase, although he is clearly cannon fodder) because they are all country singers.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Ridge, lighten up – I was kind of being sarcastic. Besides, it’s fun to type Hollie/Hallie/Haley/Baylie. Truthfully, we haven’t seen or heard enough of any of them to make a determination and that’s the fault of ridiculous editing. Why do we have to listen to Randy/JLo/Steven rattle on and on about…nothing? I would have preferred to hear Hallie Day’s “sing for your life”, not to mention Aaron Marcellus and the other guy we didn’t get to hear. And WTH was the point of bringing in Hollie with the two girls that got cut? Let’s just hope we hear more than a few lines out of all of them once the live rounds start so we can tell them apart. I’m still confused as to why Baylie is occasionally getting the “country edit” – I don’t get that from her at all, but we’ll see.

46. Amber says:

so far I’m not liking Jen Hirsch, for me she just sounds screamy

47. Tim says:

The fact that they announced the 25th wildcard slot in an announcement at the end, and not at the time the judges selected the Top 24, makes me think that the addition is a reaction to something that has occurred after the first few episodes had aired, which means it could be the addition of Johnny Keyser if either a) he may have been booted for having a record deal/something related and has been asked back because he’s that good, or b) the producers are responding to fan outcry over his elimination. I feel like b) is less likely, because people have complained about pre-Top 24 eliminations in the past (Baylie Brown in S6, Josiah Leming in S7) with no response, while a) is more likely because they didn’t show his final performance, and his online performance video from Vegas was down for awhile, which may have been due to a contractual obligation. If they had intended to put him through to the Top 24 originally, then this all makes sense.
    With that said, if any of the other three make it instead, it will be hugely disappointing, in my opinion, because none of the other three made as big of an impact as Johnny. If anything, there are females they should have re-added over the likes of Jermaine, David, or Richie.

• Josh says:

Either way it’s unfair…He didn’t perform in the top 42…He shouldn’t go through….Johnny didn’t make that big of an impact. If he was decent looking no one would care. His Vegas Group Round was horrible….Why should he advance when Lauren can’t? When Nico Star can’t(Nico’s “Sing For Your Life” performance was pretty rancid but everything else but his Hollywood group round was excellent)…So why does Johnny get a pass but they don’t?

• Tim says:

I’m a dude, I don’t care what he looks like. He had a great voice, and none of his performances were bad, which is why I suspect he was cut for some reason other than his voice. This would be why he didn’t make the Top 42, when otherwise he certainly would have made it. It all seemed a bit fishy, which is why it seems something went on behind the scenes, so he probably would/should have made the Top 42 had whatever else not been going on.

• Josh says:

But he didn’t…So better luck next year. If there was something with a record contract, that’s his fault. If the contract fell through, double loss for him…But it’s still unfair for those in the top 42 who “Sung For Their Lives”…Why should he get special treatment for shady behind the scene dealings that, according to you, were his own fault(a record contract). The fact is he skipped a round, and it’s even worse if he gets to skip a crucial round because he had a recording contract that fell through. The fact also is that his Vegas Group Performance was no, he didn’t have all good performances. He great, good, decent, and then horrible. He was as inconsistent as Lauren Gray, who was eliminated most likely due to her “Sing for Your Life ” performance, something Johnny would be skipping…something Johnny himself could have flattered on(like Nico Star did)…So how is that fair to Lauren(who is better then Johnny and many of the boys) or Nico(who is more unique then Johnny, better IMO too…) who performed on the same level of Johnny?
          I guess the only way it’s semi fair is if Johnny only gets to perform in the wildcard. I mean it’s cheap as heck…But to me that would sort of be the “Sing for Your Life Round”…I just feel he gets a boost from being this “comeback kid” if he sings in the top 13, which is triple unfair….He shouldn’t be back at all..plain and simple. You miss a round, you get the boot.

48. Thelma says:

If they bring Jonny back then I’m convinced that Idol staged their own copy-cat version of X-Factor’s dramatic move to reinstate Melanie Amaro. If Idol turns into a mini X-Factor that’s it … I’m history.

• Josh says:

Considering how Thursday turns out, I might be out too. If Johnny gets in over someone who deserves it(any of the top 12 guys…even the ones I don’t like…because well they sang in the top 42) I’d quit. I don’t like feeling manipulated.

• TheBeach says:

Wow, if you don’t feel like feeling manipulated why are you even watching Idol at all? Uncle Nigel has been doing that from the very beginning.

49. Kiki says:

True, that, about the X-Factor strategy, but you have to admit, Michael, that Idol started the “bring back” idea long before X-Factor was around, not at this point in the competition but later. So they saw what Simon did and moved the strategy back on the timeline a bit.
    Here’s the thing: as soon as I saw Johnny Keyser go, I suspected they were up to something. He was “the cute guy,” and there was NO WAY Nigel was going to let that ratings booster head out the door!
    I feel sorry for the other three–Cowboy, Jermaine, and David–because they’re being set up big-time.
    And can I say that this is the most talent I have EVER seen in one season of Idol? Lots of those people who went home would have been in the Top 10 in previous years.
    Helloooo! Where are you, Lee DeWyze?
    At any rate, talent doesn’t equal charisma, which is necessary in a star (although somehow the very bland personality that was Carrie became a mega-star; I think her voice and looks opened the door for her, and then she probably learned the art of faking charisma, actually, from her manager and dance/singing/acting coaches).
    Most of these singers could have great careers as studio back-up vocalists or in regional stage productions–some could even make it to Broadway.
    Which of these final 24 has the IT factor as well as the pipes? I don’t know yet. Can’t wait to hear what happens.
    And Michael, I know you’re the expert, but for eleven years, I’ve enjoyed Randy Jackson 80% of the time, and I think you’re too hard on him. Love you anyway!!!!!!!!

50. Bonnie A says:

I’m still waiting to see which guy is my favorite. I know the live rounds will start showing what they really can do, so I’m waiting. I join in with enjoying Phillip and Heejun’s relationship.
    Like lots of the girls this year-Hallie Day, Hollie Cavanaugh, Jessica Sanchez–are my favorites.
    I will be done with the show (except for reading Michael’s column and watching Idology) if they start all the manipulation like last year. I didn’t like how last year we were being forced to have certain winners, mainly by the way the judges only criticized Haley, and showed so many more background stories of the others.
    This top 25 “cliffhanger” is making me concerned that “here we go again”.
    My husband & I were laughing over how green J-Lo looked, too! And like how Michael put it in his write-up. Sure she wishes she could sing like some of these girls this year!
    Love how Michael writes–so clever!