The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Friday

Get More: Lists, Previews, TVLine-Ups

On TV this Friday: A Gifted Man tries to save his Sons of Anarchy sweetheart, Merlin and Spartacus lead important missions, Laverne De Fazio crashes a Portlandia party and more. As a supplement to TVLine’s original features, here are eight programs to keep on your radar.

8 pm Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC) | Onetime L.A. Lawyer Blair Underwood takes a DNA test to unlock the secret of his family’s origin.

Exclusive Grimm Video: Monroe Is Pulled Into a Creatures-Only Fight Club!

9 pm A Gifted Man (CBS) | When Michael’s high school sweetheart (played by Sons of Anarchy‘s Maggie Siff) comes to Holt Neuro with an irreversible condition, he will stop at nothing to try and save her — until, that is, Anna intervenes.

9 pm Fringe (Fox) | David Robert Jones threatens someone close to Olivia to make her do his bidding; Peter enters the consciousness of a comatose Observer to get answers — but is he possibly ready to process what he finds there? (Get the Inside Line to get more scoop.)

9 pm Great Performances: Memphis (PBS) | A televised performance of the Tony-winning musical about a white high-school dropout in 1950s Tennessee who becomes a DJ in order to promote the music of the black singer he’s fallen for.

10 pm Blue Bloods (CBS) | When an undercover detective — a Reagan family friend — a is killed, Linda and the boys worry about Danny, as his relentless search for the killer takes a toll on his emotional state.

10 pm Spartacus: Vengeance (Starz) | Spartacus leads a bold mission to free Crixus from Roman captivity, but a storied gladiator from the House of Batiatus complicates matters; Ilithyia’s scheming puts her marriage at risk.

10 pm Merlin (Syfy) | Merlin is drawn to a distant village when a mysterious illness strikes — however it soon becomes clear that something sinister is in the air and much more at stake than he originally believed.

10 pm Portlandia (IFC) | The 10th anniversary of Portland’s feminist bookstore is cut short by Laverne & Shirley‘s Penny Marshall and NBA player LaMarcus Aldridge.

Comments (27)

• It would be nice to see Penny Marshall again; she so seldom acts anymore. If I had IFC (whatever that is), I would try to catch it.

Comment by CJ – February 23, 2012 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A GIFTED MAN!! Yea,I LOVE that show!! 9 p.m. EST on CBS. TRY IT!!
    I really think you’ll like it. :)

Comment by Nancy – February 24, 2012 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CBS ruined their Friday nights by taking CSI NY off and putting Gifted Man on at 9. Awful show.

Comment by mike – February 24, 2012 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree with you 100% !

Comment by gcem – February 24, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree too. CBS is cancelling AGM anyway. Why give it that 9pm spot.

Comment by tj – February 24, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A Gifted Man is the best show on television!!! The only show I watch. We need positive shows like this, not more of the violence against men, women and children in all the other shows. Keep “A Gifted Man” and be part of the healing, instead of the destruction.

Comment by SAL – March 2, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love A Gifted Man too. I hope it is renewed even though it is a long shot. It is a nice mix of Medical and Spiritual. No offense to CSI fans, but personally in my opinion there are so many dime a dozen procedural shows. I like Blue Bloods, but it also a family drama and that makes it different.

Comment by WingsStef – February 25, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe!
    DVR Grimm to watch after. :)

Comment by kirads09 – February 24, 2012 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grimm!

Comment by Renee – February 24, 2012 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • a gifted man !!!!!! I love this show

Comment by helena – February 24, 2012 05:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE! I can’t wait to see whats going to happen.

Comment by Kate – February 24, 2012 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe and Blue Bloods. Love Fridays.

Comment by trish – February 24, 2012 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even if you’ve never seen an episode before, but just enjoy good television, tonight is the night to watch FRINGE, people. It’s set up to be one awesome episode! And you might even see why the small population of Fringe fandom are so vocal about the show. Or you just might end up being super confused. :-) lol Check it out anyway!

Comment by Mike – February 24, 2012 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate Friday nights when there is no Nikita….
    …but at least I have PORTLANDIA!!!

Comment by CJ – February 24, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oooh… Memphis sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll also watch fringe of course.

Comment by Cc – February 24, 2012 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Undercover Boss (wasn’t on that list). On Demand: FRINGE. Hope CBS cancel A Gifted Man after the end of the season as does CSI: NY and Blue Bloods is still going strong and a great shot for a Season Three renewal.

Comment by kevin – February 24, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The “storied glatiator” has to be Dustin Clare’s Gannicus! Now things are going to start getting really good. “Spartacus” has been a great tribute to Andy thus far this season. You can’t dislike Liam. Liam is fitting in nicely in Andy’s enormous sandles.

Comment by BHM1304 – February 24, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only shows I watch on Fridays are Grimm, Supernatural and Blue Bloods. And unfortunately, Supernatural is a rerun tonight. : (

Comment by gcem – February 24, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watch the same three.

Comment by J – February 24, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MERLIN at 10:00 EST and midnight (even watching twice is not enough for watching Marvelous Merlin!) and FRINGE at 9:00 EST.

Comment by sendean – February 24, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well since there is no Nikita and no CSI: NY tonight, I guess that leaves me with just the new episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars tonight. Looks like a good night to turn on the Xbox.

Comment by G – February 24, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No new Nikita or CSI: NY tonight?! Drats, Drats, and double drats!! However, I still have Fringe, Grimm, Blue Bloods, and Merlin to keep me interested. Woo-hoo!!!

Comment by Justin – February 24, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally miss CSI NY. Loved watching that and Blue Bloods together.

Comment by anita – February 24, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, nothing for me on tonight. I guess I’ll just go grab a beer.

Comment by BeachBum – February 24, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A Gifted Man!! Only thing worth watching on Fridays!!

Comment by Susie – February 24, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only thing NOT worth watching on Friday nights!!!!

Comment by tj – February 24, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who do you Think you are? A Gifted Man and Blue Bloods are my three! Whoo! :)

Comment by WingsStef – February 25, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post