American Idol Reveals 14 of Its Season 11 Top 24: Did the Right Singers Make the Cut?

elise testone idol“We’re your friends — kind of,” purred sinister feline Randy Jackson, eyeing up a cornered mouse on Wednesday’s episode of American Idol. “You guys have become part of our family,” he told another trembling creature a few minutes later. Yes, Idoloonies, if you hadn’t noticed, Fox’s long-running reality singing competition began its annual, interminable game of cat-and-contestant that is the Top 24 “final judgment” episode. Let’s do a quick take on who made it to the live telecasts — and who won’t have their fates placed in the hands of speed-dialing tweens and cat persons — after the first of a two-night process:

In the Top 24
Colton “skunk head” Dixon
Brielle “meet my saboteur stage mom!” Von Hugel

Adam “black woman on the inside” Brock

Lauren “family wedding franchise” Gray
Neko “Mars” Starr
Richie “cowboy from Hell” Law

Also eliminated but never really got any significant screentime, so just forget you ever knew them, okay?
Blaire Sieber
Naomi Gillies
Clayton Farhat
River St. James
Caleb Johnson

On that note, I have a full episode recap to write — look for it in the morning here at! — so I’ll turn things over to you.

What do you think of the first 14 contestants in the Top 24? Are you with me on Team Jessica Sanchez? (Holy mother of God that girl has a voice!) And did any cuts make you sad/happy/furious? Sound off in the comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Keisha says:

These choices look very boring. I don’t think that this is a good year for American Idol to have a boring cast.

• Ben says:

Disagree. Besides, its the top 12/13 that need to be interesting. Top 24 is a chance to cut the dull ones. Last year had a stunning top 13, but few of the next 11 were very interesting.

• SallyinChicago says:

I don’t know why they eliminated Jermaine (what’s his face) because he had a strong voice. Most of these folk will be back next year anyway. They’ve got another shot.

2. B.Rich says:

I kind of liked Lauren Grey, but the rest of the cuts were singers that we never even saw once outside of the evil cowboy.

• Amelia says:

Lauren Gray was my favourite – I’m disappointed that she didn’t get through.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think any female singer on this program I like that’s named “Lauren” is doomed. I am very disappointed that Lauren Gray was cut but Baylie Brown was put through. When Lauren got cut I came very close to throwing in the towel and changing the channel to the Republican debate. I was also sorry Neco Starr was cut.
        I think Jessica Sanchez is quite talented but she needs to control the vibrato.
        Thank goodness that annoying cowboy is history. I just wish he’d taken Dave Matthews, Jr. with him. For the life of me I don’t know what the judges see in him.

• Eleni says:

Lauren Alaina, anyone?

• darcy's evil twin says:

I specifically wrote “female singer on this program that I like that’s named Lauren is doomed”. I didn’t like Lauren Alaina. I was thinking of Lauren Turner and so far I like Lauren Turner better than any of the women this year. Lauren Turner could sing a powerful bluesy song without all the vocal hijinx.
            I never thought Lauren Alaina was as great as everyone else (the judges) did and I hated her Lawrence Welk/Hee Haw wardrobe. They shoved her down our throats all season long, starting with her audition and continuing through a series of uninteresting and sometimes questionable performances, including Group Night where the three girls in her group were as good as she was or better but they got sent home. It wasn’t until I saw her interview with Mr. Slezak that I decided I liked her – she’s funny, personable, quick-witted, and incredibly likable. She was nothing like the “poor little Lauren” edit she got on the show. She reminds me a lot of Dolly Parton when I’ve seen her on talk shows.
            Baylie Brown is this year’s Lauren Alaina. She had a decent audition but I haven’t seen anything out of her since then that justifies her still being on this program. What I heard from her during her “sing for your life” performance or whatever it’s called wasn’t all that great, IMO.

• Lisa B says:

I’m torn when it comes to Phil. I was cracking up when the judges kept saying how “original” he… and these are the people who are supposed to have their fingers on the pulse of American music? I adore Dave Matthews, but we already have him. Every time Phil tried to do the “Dave dance,” I just lost it… Dave Matthews despises AI as it is; I can’t imagine how PO’d he’s going to be when people start asking him about this guy.

• RBryan says:

Lauren was EASILY one of the best singers ever on the show. She had alot of Adele in her, along with some Janis and a host of others. She was very special. It’s a shame they paired her with the “voice coach from hell”. That lady gets contestants eliminated every year. How in the world could some of the mediocre girls get through and she doesn’t? Sometimes the judges get locked into group think and make a very bad decision.

• Rebecca Hollywood says:

i agree with you xx she had a josh stone adelle tone to her voice def should not have been cut at allllllll
          but i do agree with the voice coach lol there aint no tears in that room if you want to cry do it AFTER your performance on stage for the judges lol but i do not think she should have been cut i liked her from the start xx

3. B.Rich says:

Best of the night:
    1. Elise Testone
    2. Jessica Sanchez
    3. Joshua Ledet

4. Yes! on Erika Van Pelt and Elise Testone, and thankfully the under utilized and not shown enough Jessica Sanchez and thankfully they got rid of Richie “Sounds like he ate Kermit the Frog” Law. But No! on Lauren Gray not making it and Chelsea Sorrell making it. Who is Chelsea Sorrell? I really had no idea who she was. Colton making it was obvious, they weren’t gonna put him through all that just to cut him at the last second again.

• Ben says:

Yeah, I’ve forgotten who Chelsea is again, already.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Chelsea was in the group with Baylie Brown that sang “Be My Baby”.

• Ben says:

I don’t recall that performance at all. I do remember being vaugely disappointed that Baylie wasn’t as good as I hoped.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Chelsea was better than Baylie. There was a girl named Janelle Arthur in the group that was better than both of them put together, could dance, and had tons of stage presence. She got sent home. Of course, LOL. The video was on the “Idol” web site.

• Minn Girl says:

@Ben – I was disappointed in Baylie, too. I have wondered about her ever since she dropped her lyrics in Hollywood Week years ago. I really wanted to root for her this time around.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Based on what I’ve heard so far Chelsea is much better than Baylie. Any bets on who goes farther, LOL?

• MailmanJim says:

Chelsea is quite talented, she wrote a couple of songs on Lauren Alaina’s CD. Didn’t think both country girls would make it, with one more coming up tomorrow.

• Mailmanjim says:

whoops, it was the country piano girl on The Voice who wrote those songs for Lauren..I had a brain cramp!

• darcy's evil twin says:

That’s okay, Mailmanjim – a few days ago I confused former contestant Janelle Wheeler with Janelle Arthur from this season. Thanks for clarifying.

• Ben says:

Ah, thanks for clearing up my confusion on that one, I was thinking didn’t Janelle Arthur already make the top 24…

5. Karrie says:

I’m pissed that Lauren Gray didn’t make the cut and to choose Creighton Fraker & Reed Grimm, really? UGH! I have a feeling I’m not going to like this season. Although Phillip Phillips & Adam Brock are quite amazing!!

6. Anna B says:

I’ll admit it – I don’t think either Heejun nor Phil Phillips can win American Idol. But I’m still glad I’m going to get to spend more time watching them in the coming week(s)!

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

I feel the same way. Phillip is a clever arranger, and Heejun’s commentary is to die for. Plus, their bromance is so cute!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Phillips’ arrangement of Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game” was so clever I didn’t even recognize the song! It wasn’t until I read about it in Mr. Slezak’s column that I knew what the song was.

• TheBeach says:

When Ryan asked Heejun what he was sweating and he replied “mostly water” I cracked up.

• Minn Girl says:

@ The Beach — LMAO!
        And when Heejun apologized to Cowboy Ritchie’s parents for “talking craps” about Ritchie behind his back.
        Heejun is hysterically funny.

• Ruby says:

I think Heejun is going to surprise people. You can get really far in this competition based on personality alone, which is coming out of his pores, but then he can sing on top of it. So unless he really screws up somewhere, I think he could actually make it.

• Sanjaya says:

Welcome to the no-talent, Idol contestant club. William Hung and I look forward to your becoming an active member.
        You’re as big a joke of a contestant as we were.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree. I don’t care for Heejun’s singing and I don’t find him funny. At best he’s a mediocre vocalist. Clearly I’m in the minority, though. It’s ridiculous that Heejun was put through and Lauren Gray was cut.

• Ben says:

Putting aside HeeJun’s personality entirely (which I understand is a love or hate proposition) HeeJun has my single favourite voice in the competition this year. His tone and soulfulness are gorgeous. Comparing him to Will Hung is just silly.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t care for Heejun’s singing but at this time last season I didn’t care for Haley Reinhart, either. I may change my mind, who knows. He’s just not the type of singer I typically prefer.

• chistosa says:

I agree. Even Steven alluded to the fact that he was more of a “star” than a vocalist. But an idol by definition is more than just a technically perfect vocalist. Vamos a ver.

• SallyinChicago says:

at least Heejun has a job to go back to …. what about the others?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Well, Reed Grimm’s occupation was listed as “nanny” and if that doesn’t scare the bejeezus out of you, nothing will. He could barely take care of himself last week when he found out he had to sing with the band and couldn’t perform a capella.

7. ladyhelix says:

The only thing that made me “furious” was Randy Jackson (nothing new there). .
    Oh! Maybe they made a deal with Randy – he could talk all he wants tonight but then he has to be quiet for the rest of the season (fingers crossed)
    Oh yes – sign me up for team Jessica Sanchez!!
    I cried when Heejun made it (*blushes*) – I have no idea why, other than because I was already laughing out loud at him living “every Asian man’s dream” (hugging Jennifer).
    And when did Ryan get smooth and classy? Has this been going on for a while and I just didn’t notice? Or did it just happen? I no longer sit with my jaw/fists clenched waiting for him to do/say something awkward or embarrassing. I could get used to this!!

8. Anna B says:

I’m actually not that surprised by Lauren Gray being cut. When they showed her initial audition I was reminded of how one-level and shouty it was. She’s got a great natural instrument but needs to learn to use it better – control and breathing.

9. Melissa says:

Whew…. The judges did not send Richie through. The guy may be a fine singer, but after the edit he had his likeability factor is 0.

10. Christina says:

No big surprises in the picks. Jessica Sanchez has totally gone from a nobody to a potential front runner in 2 episodes. That girl can sing! On the other hand I don’t think we’ve had a contestant so disliked because of a stage parent like Brielle is. That girl stands no chance. I would probably give upper hands to Jessica, Joshua, Elise, Phil, Heejun, and maybe Baylie and Jen to make it through to the finals.

11. Ben says:

I’m on team Jessica!!! Also on Team HeeJun.
    The right picks went through tonight. Lauren Grey is the only one that is vaguely arguable, but I think she actually has more chance of making a top 12 by being cut this year and coming back next year. There is something to be said for being remembered by people a year later, kinda gives you bonus votes off the blocks, I think.

• Minn Girl says:

@ Ben — I am Team Jessica & Team HeeJun too. Heck, HeeJun is so delightful, I think I would vote for him even if he didn’t have a voice like melting butter.

12. Merrilyn says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t see the appeal of Elise Testone? I find her to be a bit (ok, a lot) too much. She and Lauren Gray were similar to me, in that they both have a hard time knowing when to dial it back. But I loved, loved, loved Jessica Sanchez! What an amazing voice! I hope Adam Brock makes it through. And Heejun really took me by surprise when they showed his “sing for your life” clip. His voice was stronger and more expressive than I remember it in previous rounds.

13. Rebecca Parker says:

So basically Brielle Von Hugel is Sugar Motta.

14. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

You know what I’m loving about this season? There is not one contestant this season that everyone is against. Whenever I hear someone ranting about the failures of a contestant, the next one to comment is singing his/her praises. This has happened with Jen, Creighton, Reed, Adam, and more. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. I know I’ve mentioned who I liked and disliked earlier, but I’m withholding all judgement about the final 24 until after the first week of live shows.

15. Josh says:

Good group so far. Obviously there are some who I’m not a fan of (Crayton, Reed and Colton…I feel the latter two are just so….showy and grating), others who I’m undecided on,, I’m iffy on Jen and Joshua, I think both have talent but might be a little too intense and screamy and others I like(Jessica, the two older blondes who’s names I can’t remember haha). Loving Heejun and Phillip for personality alone. Both seem like cool guys. Not the strongest voices of the group, neither have shown much versatility. Phillip just needs to work on his movements because when he stands still and sings into the mic he sounds very good, but when he’s moving all over the place his voice gets a little wobbly. But I like how he rearranges songs, it’s very cool.

16. Tracy says:

Jessica Sanchez absolutely blew. me. away. And I love Heejun. He’s hilarious but also can sing. Can’t wait for more of his commentary.

17. Kendy says:

Glad Erika and Jessica made it. Skylar Laine and Elise Testone look to be about 40 years old.
    Ecstatic that Heejun overcame the beauty. Mostly I just want to have wild sex with him and Phil Phillips while craps-talking.

18. chrisc says:

I loved Neko Starr. With a little help he could be the new UsherNe-yoElDebarge. Absolutely crazy to me that he got cut.

• Kevin C. says:

Absolutely loved his audition (it was refreshing to see a contestant who understood the power dialing it back a little at times can have). But I was wincing through his last chance performance tonight and can see why he got cut.
      Hope he comes back next year.

19. Erin says:

I. Love. Colton. I was so mad when he was cut last yea and couldn’t be happier to see him put through. I’d take Creighton and Reed over Scotty McCreery and Jacob Lusk any day.

20. corey says:

“Yes, Idoloonies, if you hadn’t noticed, Fox’s long-running reality singing competition began its annual, interminable game of cat-and-contestant that is the Top 24 “final judgment” episode. ”
    we’re back to idoloonies, michael?
    i would have thought idologists or idologers, no?

• Billy says:

You’ve given us all food for thought. Hmmm…I think Mr. Slezak and Melinda are the Idologists, darcy’s evil twin is the Idologer, and the rest of us are still – until further notice of advancement – Idoloonies.

21. Kathy baker says:

It’s the Jessica and Joshua show, they are the best so far!

22. jke says:

So so happy that Colton made it in — he was so robbed last year. But I’m puzzled at how neko did not make it but joshua did?

23. TheBeach says:

I’m all for locking Brielle, Adam, Richie, crying sweaty guy and Adam Brock in a room together and the one who survives makes the cut.

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

You said Adam twice. Do you dislike Adam Lambert so much that you want to throw him back into the Idol Mix? (Because you know he’d crush all of those people in a heartbeat.)

24. chris says:

Jessica is the best vocally this season. She can go rough and can go soft, and both sound amazing. I love it!

• Billy says:

I can just see it now – Jessica keeps hitting the ball out of the park in the live performances and J Lo and Randy keep telling her 1) she needs to find out who she is as an artist, 2) she was slightly sharp during the chorus, 3) she needed to do more runs, 4) she exceeded the top of her register, 5) she picked the wrong song to perform) and so on ad nauseum. Meanwhile Baylie, Reed, Colton and Creighton can continue to do their mugging for the camera and get nothing but praise…sigh. It will be like deja vu of last season’s shows.
      I sure hope I’m wrong.

• SallyinChicago says:

The “best” vocally always end up going out before the top 5…remember Jennifer Hudson and Pia?

25. Snsetblaze says:

Getting rid of Briele v keeping her because of a good performance. Having to see her classless mother again if she stays. Too much of a risk to give her my vote no matter how good she is. And she just wasn’t that good in the past and was too bossy herself.

26. dawn says:

I know this is going to sound bad, but the highlight for me is when Richie aka the cowboy was cut. I could not stand him and I was thinking to myself if he made it to the live show I had a feeling he would stay a long time. He reminded me too much of the winner from last year. The difference being at least Scotty was somewhat likeable personally.

• Ruby says:

Nobody could stand him, that was pretty clear. Every time he touched someone they like, cowered away from him. He surely didn’t make any friends with his misplaced arrogance, that’s for sure.

27. Matt says:

A couple questions: Was Uncle Nigel sending a subliminal message by having “Already Gone” playing when Erika Van Pelt made it through, and is the large black woman living inside Adam Brock actually Jacob Lusk?

28. Andrea says:

I love Heejun and Philip. They have the greatest bromance ever, both seem sincere, and I think they have the best voices of the guys. I like their tones. I am not on this Jessica band wagon. She is the new Thia Megia, and they are friends in real life. They both came from America’s Got Talent, sing boring Disney ballads, and act like they are in pageants. Craighton, Reed, and Colton are obnoxious. I like Erika, Elise, and Baylie.

• Rbryan says:

I totally agree with your comment on Jessica. Too overtrained, and not natural. I’ve heard the same thing from the stage at Disneyworld. While technically perfect, she has NO identity.

• Josh says:

I lke Jessica but I agree she isn’t the Second Coming by any means. We’ve got a long road ahead of us and I don’t really think she’s the best vocalist. I’d say she’s definitely the most traditional pop vocalist, which isn’t a bad thing…But I’m looking for something a bit different…Something a bit unique female power house flavored(Erika and the other old blonde)…I just don’t think she stands out from the pack in terms of pop vocalist we’ve heard before and will hear again. But she’s still very good….Just not at all unique.

• Louie says:

Are you kidding me???
      Comparing those two are like comparing a kitten to a tiger… you can guess which is which

• RJP says:

Obviously you do not know too much about her. 90% of her YouTube videos feature her as an R&B artist

29. Jamie says:

I completely agree with you. I really like Colton. Many are complaining that he plays up the cameras, but he sings in his church where they video him also. He just has practice. I really feel like he has grown and sounds better.

30. Debbie Y says:

Love Jen Hirsch and Jessica Sanchez. Really hope Adam goes through so we can see more of his adorable baby. Plus the guy has chops and loves to sing. Here’s hoping his dream continues.

31. Tim says:

Jessica Sanchez is amazing. She’s singularly going to give me reason to watch this season.

32. Ruby says:

Brielle will be eliminated almost immediately. She’s completly obnoxious, along with her awful mother, and exactly the type of girl (Michaela Gordon!) that the American Public (aka teeny boppers voting for this show) hate. They should have let Lauren Gray through instead, she had an interesting voice that I haven’t heard before. As for the boys, I could do without Creighton “shrill” Fraker, but otherwise I agree with the choices. The boys aren’t as strong this year, especially since they got rid of Johnny. I do really love Heejun though…he has made this season worth watching with his snarky personality, and also there’s something about him that really moves me. I’ll be rooting for him and Jen Hirsch this year.

• B says:

Except Michaela Gordon made the top 12…
      I’m not American, but I’d vote for Brielle. I can’t believe how many of you are influenced by the editing. There’s a good chance she’s actually a really sweet girl who got totally screwed by the producers and her loud mother. Her edit last year was awesome, and I was rooting for her then. I see no reason to change my mind now when I still really like her voice.

33. Emilie says:

I don’t think Brielle has that great of a voice. Let’s hope we see less of her mom in the coming weeks. I think it’s a toss up between Hee Jun and Colton for “Best Back Story.” My favorites are Jen, Colton, and Reed, so far. I don’t think I could have watched the rest of the season had Richie Law been put through. I think Jessica has a great voice. However, after hearing more about how much she wants to do this for her parents, they’ve given up so much to make her dream come true, blah, blah, I’m starting to see her as an over stage parented robotic teen, like Thia Megia from last season.

34. raymarhead says:

I would’ve traded Chelsea Sorrell for Lauren Gray and Creighton Fraker for Neco Starr.

• Joe M. says:

YES. Chelsea Sorrell isn’t as good as Lauren. Or even some people who got cut in Hollywood (cough cough Candice Glover cough cough)

35. Tahoe Mike says:

I so wish I could have seen the look on Richie the cowboy’s face when he realized that not only was he out, but that Heejun and Phillip both made it.
    I don’t think Heejun has a chance of winning this thing, and somebody is going to get cut who might have taken that spot. I do think he is great comic relief though, and it’ll be fun to watch him for a while.

36. Dan says:

Overall, GREAT Top 24 thus far. Reactions in list form
    1.)Brielle Von Hugel making it over Lauren Gray is one of the craziest things they’ve ever done.
    2.) Reed Grimm has to be one of the most obnoxious contestants on Idol. I get major Danny Gokey vibes in that sense (albeit way more talented). But the dancing….oh, the dancing.
    3.) Elise Testone? Erika Van Pelt? Jessica Sanchez? Yes, Yes, and Yes.
    4.) I REALLY believe that we might have a female winner this year. Such a great pool of women. Then again, we had that in season 9, and only two legitimate female contenders were left by the top 10 (and Siobhan had begun to fade at that point)
    5.)I expect them to shove Baylie Brown down our throats. It’s the ultimate comeback story for them.
    6.) I’m predicting that they cut Adam Brock a la Chris Medina last year.
    7.) Phil Phillips has some Lee Dewyze potential, but I can also see him crashing like Adam Lambert (who I don’t think crashed, but was eliminated early on regardless)

• Dan says:

ALEX LAMBERT, not Adam. Adam did not crash and was not eliminated early. Whoops.

• Ben says:

Funnily enough, I think the men are the huge talent pool, and for the second year running we have a really weak pool of women. I wasn’t at all surprised to see most of the girls go early last year, and wouldn’t be again this year at this rate. But I don’t think the overall strength of the gender has any bearing on the ultimate winner – nor do I think the ‘WGWG’ thing is entirely true.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t know that the pool of women is “weak” (Baylie Brown is weak, IMO, based on what I’ve seen)but they seem to have picked several women that each have similar styles so far: Jen/Elise/Erika/Haley/Jessica (Jessica is less similar than the first four but still somewhat similar)all have that “vocal hijinx/big diva sound”, and I would say Chelsea and Baylie are somewhat similar – but they seem to be putting Baylie in the “country” category and I didn’t remember her being country. I think Lauren Gray got cut because she’s too similar to group one but there was something about her that I really liked.
        This is all based on limited listening, of course.

• Ben says:

I made a comment somewhere else. The guys have a diverse range of singers. The girls have a diverse range of looks. I think you have put your finger on exactly why I think its a weak bunch of girls… saminess. I just think there is a lot of padding/cannon fodder in the girls lot. I think the guys have a wide range of unique sounds and a few people who already have the ball rolling on fan bases.

37. Pat says:

Joshua Ledet In The Finals = Lusky Stank All Season.

38. Connie says:

“Are you with me on Team Jessica Sanchez?”
    HELLZ YES! <3

39. Musica1 says:

Jessica Sanchez sounded okay tonight. She has too much fake vibrato (an inexperienced singer crutch) but fortunately sang a song so beautiful that it makes almost anybody sound great. I’m just afraid people are so enamored with her after tonight that they will vote for her no matter how boring she is (Read Pia).
    Phil Phillips, Heejun Han and Baylie Brown are my early favorites with Jen Hirsch being a runner-up favorite for me.

40. Raesin says:

I’m pretty happy with the semi-finalists so far. Except for obviously Lauren Gray, I think they should have chosen her over Brielle.. Sad over Nico Star too, loved him….So far Phil Phillips and Heejun have consistently been my two favorites. I also really like Reed, but does he remind anyone else of Ed Norton in Death to Smoochy?? Those dance moves are a bit much.

41. Tim says:

Please if there’s a God, don’t let Adam Gokey Brock through. Thank you.

42. Jen says:

For the first time in years, theere is noone I *DON’T* like in the top 24 so far… I’m pretty pleased and look forward to the live shows!
    #TeamColton and #TeamReed

43. Tom says:

Creighton and Brielle (and MAYBE Colton) are the only picks I disagree with. The rest all have potential to make this a great season.
    I am loving the ladies, I have to say. Jessica Sanchez is ridiculously talented. Yes, she could tone down the vibrato a notch, but she’s got the chops and versatility for ballads AND uptempo numbers. I’m excited already! Elise and Erika have beautiful tones to their voices – I can see myself easily rooting for them. Jen has amazing range – she has a tendency to oversing, but I cannot deny her talent. Baylie is a lovely country songstress, and Chelsea ain’t bad, either.
    I know there’s little talk of Haley, but I believe she has a fantastic voice… so why was her final solo not given airtime? We saw everyone else’s, so what about her’s? I hope you will address this, Michael, because I thought it was outrageous. Show the girl some respect, Uncle Nigel!
    I’m not feeling the guys as much as the girls, but it’s incredibly difficult not to love Heejun and his personality. His voice is actually pleasant, even though he needs to work on his diction. Reed’s personality, on the other hand, is offputting, but I do believe he’s talented. He just needs to dial it back. I worry about Joshua… will he or won’t he be the next Jacob Lusk? He has a fantastic voice, but sometimes he treads that fine line… Phillip is alright, but I fear he lacks range. That being said, I know he can get creative with arrangements, and that will be refreshing if he makes the Top 12. I’m not too keen on Adam (if he makes it). He gives me Gokey vibes, and those are vibes I do not want to experience again (yesistillcannotgetoverthefactthatallisonirahetatherockerchickwaseliminatedbeforehimandhisatrociousversionofdreamon).
    I dislike Creighton because he oversings, and he has an unpleasant tone. Brielle overdoes it for me. Colton is not consistent (his “Fix You” was shouty and pitchy), and he’s too boy band for my taste.

44. shizzy says:

yeah colton is not the american idol material. He is definitely more of a band person, that’s where he would actually be able to sell records

45. shizzy says:

Heejun’s personality is enough to get me through to the top 12, because the viewers love him and I’m sure they’d vote for him, because the guy is HILARIOUS. UNINTENTIONALLY hilarious! Creighton reminds me of Adam Levine, whose got this uniqueness that would really do well in the radio. Philip Phillips is also good, and he is going to go far. He doesn’t have the potential to win, but I could easily see him getting a band together after Idol. All the above mentioned singers would do really well outside of American Idol. But none of them have the ability to win. Winning is a different thing, and selling records, being on the radio, going to the billboards, doing movies, tv shows is a different thing, as evident from Katherin Mcphee, Jennifer Hudson, Chris Daughtry, Adam Lambert etc.

46. Vetle says:

Jessica went from around my fifth favorite girls (after Vegas) straight to number 1! GURL CAN SANG. I’ve been waiting for a new Allison Iraheta-esque teen talent. :D

47. SallyinChicago says:

Somehow I don’t think the final prize they give on AI ($500,000 record contract?) is enough. AGT gives its stars a Vegas casino to work in a year plus the contract. Would be nice if AI did something similar. Being a recording star these days is so “yesterday.”

48. darcy the good twin says:

I’m on the Heejun Han train. I love his husky voice. I hate Brielle Von Hugel. Her lower range is horrendous.

49. josman cleman says:

Jessica your such a talented , your only 16 but you made it to TOP 24..your such amazing girl and we are proud of you sweet Jessica!

50. GeorgiaPat says:

Michael and Melinda, thanks for another great commentary! So far this season, I have not been able to dedicate myself to sitting on the couch and watching Idol for two hours. I’ve been switching back and forth from AI to my ABC comedies, and I have to say that The Voice is just so much more enjoyable. HOWEVER, I’ve been a die hard Idol fan for years, and always discover one or more artists to love.