Gossip Girl Matriarch on Saying Goodbye, a Surprise Return and Lily's New Position

Gossip Girl said goodbye to one of its own on Monday as Lily’s mom CeCe passed away after keeping her cancer hidden from the entire family, save for fake granddaughter Charlie/Ivy.

But CeCe’s portrayer Caroline Lagerfelt tells TVLine “there’s always a chance” she could return. After all, this is a sudsy primetime soap where anything is possible. “One of my [Twitter] fans said, ‘But that’s not CeCe. That’s her twin sister DeDe!’” the actress recalls with a laugh. “Flashbacks, ghosts, the twin sister DeDe – with Gossip Girl, you never know.”

Gossip Girl Hot Shots: Billy Baldwin Is Back For a [Spoiler Alert]!

For the time being, Lagerfelt has said her goodbyes and describes filming CeCe’s swan song as “sad for me and Kelly [Rutherford] because we’re really close in real life,” she explains. “She’s got the most wonderful mother, but I sort of feel like her second mom.

“The other thing I’m really, really going to miss — apart from Kelly, the kids [and] the crew — are Eric Daman’s designs,” she adds, calling the costume designer’s creations “as strong a character in the show as any of the actors.”

It was Daman who soothed Lagerfelt’s disappointment over CeCe’s mostly dialogue-free sendoff. “I was so pissed I didn’t get to crack any jokes about dry martinis,” she says. “So he got me the most fabulous earrings to wear. This is dying, Gossip Girl-style.”

Gossip Girl Exclusive: Look Who’s Returning!

But if CeCe did have the chance for some parting words, would she have outed Ivy as an imposter? Lagerfelt believes her character “might have had a inkling” in the back of her mind about her granddaughter’s true identity, “but she didn’t want to hear it. As she got sicker and sicker and Ivy was so wonderful and caring, I think she made herself believe and silenced all doubts in her brain,” she continues.

It’s another family member, however, that the actress believes will probably “change the most” in the wake of CeCe’s demise. “What her death does is it puts [Lily] in the position of the matriarch,” says Lagerfelt. “That would be very interesting to see if she picks up the baton…. I’ll be watching the show for sure! It gives Kelly’s character a lot of room to develop in new, exciting directions for the next year.”

1. Emily says:

And so the last good thing about this now-terrible show leaves us. We’ll miss you, Cece! And thank you to Caroline for being so positive and understanding about the show until the very end.
    I HOPE this means something interesting for Lily, but I don’t believe the writers care about any of their characters, as evidenced by the cheap and pointless death they gave Cece here, so… Yeah.

2. Joanna says:

CeCe’s death breaks my heart. :( The show had to go and kill the only female character worth watching. Congrats! I will always remember you, CeCe. You remained a true HBIC until the end of your days. My only hopes lay on Ivy now. She’s the only BAMF left, now that Blair has brain damage, Serena lets everyone walk all over her and Georgina sucks at being Gossip Girl.
    R.I.P. CeCe… *raise a glass of gin martini in your honour*

3. cece 4 eva says:

Caroline and Kelly are close…you could see it when CeCe was dying. :( I love CeCe.

4. Kat says:

…okay, but can we have some dan and blair scoop now?

5. Nikki H. says:

The last couple of episodes have been so much better. Reminds me of the good old Gossip Girls days but I’m sad to see CeCe go. I loved her character.

• yaya says:

Not really. The ratings have been in steady decline. This is the worst season of GG ever, and ships aside (this article is about CeCe.) critics agree.

• J says:

If one blinked they missed her on screen. I don’t get it, she ws never in the show… Not even a second string character.

6. Spell Check says:

In the second paragraph, possible is misspelled and the quotes are a bit off.

7. lola says:

Of course a dair fan would bring up their ship, when the article has NOTHING to do with them.

8. DB says:

I didn’t know why the writers feel the need to kill off Cece, she’s one of those bit character that i like popping up now and then to stir some trouble.

9. Jill says:

Aww, that makes me more sad about CeCe’s death to read that she and Kelly Rutherford are really close in real life. I’ve always loved CeCe and Lily scenes. I will definitely miss the dynamic of 3 generations of Rhodes women, and now there will only be two.

10. robinepowell says:

Why did they kill her off in the first place? I haven’t watched the show this season, so I didn’t know Cece was sick.

• Yursare says:

Well then you haven’t watched CeCe for many seasons, because she’s been sick for almost all of her run on the show. She’s just gotten worse this season.

11. Tiffany says:

I stopped watching the show a long time ago. I actually stopped when the whole Dair thing even came up….that is a bunch of BS to me.

12. Terrelya says:

The reason CeCe is relevant is because it gave way for her to disappoint her family to give Ivy Dickens complete control of everything.

13. Gregory says:

I’m so sad :( I loved CeCe.