Community Season 3 Return Date Revealed! Plus Other NBC Schedule Changes

Get More: News, Scheduling News

Oh, happy day! Community creator Dan Harmon took to Twitter Tuesday with the news that all Human Beings have been waiting for: the long-shelved NBC comedy’s Season 3 return date.

“What you call 8:00, we call home,” the showrunner revealed. “Community returns to Thursday nights on March 15th.” The quirky cult hit’s return marks the first of the season’s 12 unaired episodes.

To make room for the Greendale Gang, NBC is pushing 30 Rock to 8:30 pm, where it will be followed by The Office and Up All Night. (Parks and Recreation will return to finish its fourth season on Thursday, April 19, at 9:30, after Up All Night has completed its freshman run.)

Spoiler Alert! Community Cast Reveals What Will Happen When the Show Returns

It was announced in November that Community would be removed from the schedule come January to make room for the return of 30 Rock.

Other scheduling news announcing in tandem with Community‘s return:

• The long-benched sitcom Bent will premiere Wednesday, March 21, at 9 pm, airing back-to-back episodes in its first three weeks. To free up that hour, Rock Center is moving to 10 o’clock for five weeks, returning to the 9 pm spot on April 11. Bent stars David Walton (Perfect Couples) as a free-spirited handyman hired by a divorced mother (Studio 60‘s Amanda Peet) to spruce up her new, smaller home. Jeffrey Tambor (Arrested Development) and Margo Harshman (Sorority Row) also star.

Community Exclusive: Smallville Vet, Scrubs Alum, Parks and Rec Player Visit Greendale

• Following the season finales of Whitney and Are You There, Chelsea, Betty White’s Off Their Rockers makes its series premiere on Wednesday, April 4, at 8pm, where it will be followed by another new sitcom, Best Friends Forever. Best Friends Forever revolves around BFFs Jessica and Lennon (played by Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham) who reunite in Brooklyn after the latter’s marriage goes south. Luka Jones (Upright Citizens Brigade), Stephen Schneider (Happy Endings) and newcomer Daija Owens also star.

Comments (65)

• Yay! Though what will happen with 30 Rock? 10 pm slot, perhaps?

Comment by Linda – February 21, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Gods have answered our prayers!!

Comment by The Unassigned – February 21, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why is it still up against BBT?!?!

Comment by Amanda – February 21, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. I’m thrilled that it’s back, but I was really hoping it would jump into the 8:30 or 9:30 time slot. Big Bang hits such a similar target audience, Community would get a lot better ratings at almost any other timeslot.
        I’m still holding out hope for a fourth season. Parks and Rec had a similar benching in its third season, and it got a fourth…

Comment by Brendan – February 21, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If it does as well as it did pre-hiatus, I think there’s a good chance for another season. Moving it around would be a bad idea – might increase expectations.
          I’d actually be happy if they decided to renew both Community and P&R, but only 12 episodes of each in the season – they could share the same timeslot for different parts of the year. P&R was awesome with its truncated 3rd season – quality over quantity!

Comment by ScrubsGuy – February 21, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think NBC would do itself a favor and just accept its not going to beat BBT. American Idol has.
        Its not like everyone in major league baseball shuts a team down because they don’t beat the big market teams like the Yankees.

Comment by Elizabeth – February 21, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally! Best news all day!

Comment by AJ – February 21, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeeeeeeessss!!!!!

Comment by Timmy Bauer – February 21, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious news!

Comment by Ciara – February 21, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Happy!!!

Comment by Kim – February 21, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEEEEEEEEEEEEES. Awh this is great news I can’t wait. Disappointed that they’ve still got that crappy 8:00 slot versus Idol though.

Comment by Hugh – February 21, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Comment by ScrubsGuy – February 21, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!!!!!!!
    It’s ridiculous how happy this news makes me.

Comment by Eliza – February 21, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So very excited to see this news. I’ve been waiting with bated breath.

Comment by Meg – February 21, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like it will be
    Community 8
    30 Rock 830
    The Office 9
    Up All Night 930
    Once Up All Night ends its run, Parks and Rec will take over the 930 spot. (Sometime in April) I’m not crazy about the 8pm slot again, and I’m not crazy about losing Parks and Rec for a month but I’ll take it.

Comment by Brad – February 21, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still crappy time slot, for sure. But we have to rally and get people watching and supporting. I love “30 Rock,” but it’s not an 8 o’clock show. Its edgy humor needs to be bumped a little later.
    But what’s getting the boot on Thursdays? Hmmm.

Comment by Kate – February 21, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool. Cool cool cool.

Comment by MiTYH – February 21, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think one of either Community, 30 Rock and Parks and Rec. will be cancelled. They are juggling the timeslots to check which show can do better at 8 and 8:30.

Comment by Hamza – February 21, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I bet it’s Community that will be canceled (unless there’s an unexpected uptick in its ratings)…

Comment by AJ – February 21, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Office’s ratings are plummeting, it may be the one to get the boot.

Comment by Brendan – February 21, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Community needs only one more season for completion of Dan Harmon’s vision. I feel as though a show that says “we need only one more season” might have a better chance than one that can only say “please don’t cancel us!”; then again, I’m not a tv exec.
      Additionally, The Office recently hit a series low and I hear that at least one cast member is looking at pilot season. If DM rides off into the sunset anytime soon, NBC may put the brakes on cancelling other sitcoms.

Comment by Liz – February 21, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Though I’m bummed it has to tag out Parks and Rec for a bit, at least we KNOW when Parks is coming back, so YAY!

Comment by John – February 21, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wahoo! although wish they would bench the office or push that to the 8:00 slot. why must we always sacrifice
    the other BEST sitcom o tv?? but still yay Commuity!

Comment by irishrose4583 – February 21, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Streets freaking ahead!

Comment by Aleksa – February 21, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This announcement reminds me of the time I banged Eartha Kitt.

Comment by jec – February 21, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “ROXANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!”
      “No.”

Comment by Ryan Schwartz – February 21, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me so hungy, me so hungy!
        About. Freaking. Time. This news has just made what’s already been a good day even more awesome. I cannot wait. And here’s to hopefully being renewed for a fourth season, too!

Comment by Angela – February 21, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In an airplane bathroom?

Comment by Brendan – February 21, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Mandy – February 21, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, very happy my beloved Community is back and will miss my beloved Parks & Rec for a month.

Comment by Eliza – February 21, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As happy as I am that Community is returning, I really wish they gave it a different timeslot, something that I remember the NBC executives hinting at awhile back. Maybe the fact that 30 Rock’s demo ratings fell below Community levels might help its chances for renewal.

Comment by Glenn – February 21, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!! so happy to hear this news.. still I’m afraid it will get killed in the ratings at that time slot by The Big Bang which is bringing huge ratings numbers so far and is only getting bigger!…. so I don’t know what NBC’s game plan is… they’ll probably cancel the show after this season and blame it on the ratings…. Community should be moved to 8:30 on Thursdays or I don’t know Wednesdays…

Comment by racso23 – February 21, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quoting Daniel Bryan: “YES!!!! YES!!!!!! YES!!!!”

Comment by sindella – February 21, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! Can’t wait for March 15. My TV watching has not been the same without Community.

Comment by Pattie – February 21, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very happy for all the Community fans but it is returning during the NCAA tournament…too bad NBC didn’t change the timeslot

Comment by Jenn – February 21, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what a great birthday present for me…my favorite showing returning on my bday!

Comment by ggny – February 21, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pop pop!

Comment by em – February 21, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reading comprehension much?
    Try the 3rd paragraph – 30 Rock is moving to 8:30. Parks and Recreation will be in hiatus until mid April.

Comment by MRinLA – February 21, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do we actually live in a universe where NBC cannot or WILL NOT run the 2 best comedies on tv at the same time? WHY, WHY would you pull Parks & Rec? Pull the ridiculously over-rated 30 Rock which hasn’t been anything to laugh at this season. Anyway, glad the gang is coming back!

Comment by Apple – February 21, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 30 Comments in, and nobody has yet described Community’s return as streets ahead? (aside from the timeslot decision being streets behind).

Comment by Brendan – February 21, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Already done.

Comment by aleksa – February 21, 2012 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the first time in a long time, I can sincerely say, “Nice going, NBC!”
    Community, 30 Rock, The Office, and Parks and Recreation lineup is really how I think that Thursday nights should have looked all season, but, even though it’ll take until April 19th to get there, well done!
    The attempt at Wednesday night comedy is another matter. NBC has burning through its scripted shows since this past summer, and hardly any of them stick. I doubt that Bent or BFF will fare any better, although I suspect Betty White’s show will garner the highest ratings!

Comment by Nate – February 21, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This musical chairs schedule is FOX-caliber confusing. Here’s a slot, there’s a slot, everywhere a slot slot.

Comment by Emily – February 21, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! Glad Community is coming back. :D I’m a little disappointed it’s back in the 8PM Thursday slot, though, since that’s such a tough spot. I’m also a little disappointed Parks and Rec is going off the air for a month. But Community, 30 Rock, The Office, and Parks and Rec sounds like a pretty good lineup!

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – February 21, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Six seasons and a movie.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 21, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY! I need me some Greendale in my life…

Comment by Ashley – February 21, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No wonder NBC can’t get viewers, all the timeslot and show shuffling hurts my brain. Insanity.

Comment by Danielle H – February 21, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAAAAAY!!!!

Comment by Kristina – February 21, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    That news gave me the weirdest boner.

Comment by K – February 21, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESYEYSYEYS

Comment by Allie – February 21, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community is not good enough to EFFING bump parks and rec

Comment by catzapps – February 21, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes it is. And Parks will be gone only for a month.

Comment by Hmmm – February 27, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I am SUPER SUPER SUPER happy about Community coming back….why must I lose Parks & Rec? I swear NBC you just know how to screw everything up. My favorite hour of the week was Community the Parks & Rec. Can’t they do anything right?

Comment by KD – February 21, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • [Ppphhhhhhhhhsssss]. That’s the sound of me finally exhaling. Thank goodness it’s back!!! I just wish they were giving it a better time slot. If it didn’t work at 8 before, why would it now? Also, I hope NBC pimps that show with ads, something they’ve been neglecting to do up to this point. Having both Mad Men and Community coming back the same month will make March very good for me. And it will certainly be a lot of screen time for Alison Brie!

Comment by Amber – February 21, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABOUT TIME! Why is it still at 8pm though? It’s a terrible time slot. I guess we’ll worry about that later. I’m just pleased it’s back.

Comment by LC – February 21, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So that march 15 rumor was true. God I’m so happy. I’m crying.

Comment by Amy – February 21, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1) Glad Community is coming back. I feel dirty watching The Big Bang Theory live and I cannot get excited about 30 Rock at all by this point.
    2) Why is NBC devoted to Up All Night? I don’t know how it is performing, but I would rather watch commercials or HSN than it (or Whitney or Are You There, Chelsea?). It’s a business, but at some point there some be a commitment to some level of quality. Even Outsourced was a better show than the three freshman comedies NBC has forced on audiences thus far.

Comment by Timothy McNeil – February 21, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And NBC wonders why they are losing viewers… no one can make sense of their schedule. Once you find a show you like, they move it or pull it to bring in something else. Why they keep spending money and giving time slots to Up All night, Whitney, or Are You There, Chelsea is beyond me. None of these shows are original or entertaining.

Comment by Confused – February 21, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss the whole Community gang, so I’m very excited to hear that it finally has a return date. I think what I missed most of all though, was Annie’s Boobs.
    Oh… and I guess that monkey was kind of cute too.

Comment by The Squatch – February 21, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100% with everything you said.

Comment by Carmichael – February 21, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oooh! community will come back on the ides of march!

Comment by may – February 22, 2012 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PRAISE THE LORD!

Comment by Sarabi – February 22, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for community fans bt don’t take parks and rec the only show and pan am am excited for every week and hope NBC renews this amazing show! Am ganna you parks and rec a whole month nooooooooo! :/

Comment by dot – February 22, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post