Scoop: Smallville's Kristin Kreuk Returns to The CW as Female Lead of Beauty and the Beast Pilot

Kristin Kreuk Beauty and the BeastThe CW’s Beauty and the Beast update has found a most worthy — one might say super — successor to Linda Hamilton: Kristin Kreuk.

The Smallville alumna has landed the female lead in the hour-long pilot, a reboot of the classic ’80s series that ran on CBS from 1987 to 1990 and starred Ron Perlman as the mythic man beast and Hamilton as the object of his affection.

The CW version, written and exec produced by Without a Trace vet Jennifer Levin and Brothers & Sisters‘ Sherri Cooper, will add a contemporized procedural twist.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

Reminder: This B&B is not to be confused with the B&B pilot that ABC is developing for next season. That one is based on the public domain fairy tale about a girl forced to live in a castle with a beast who eventually wins her heart.

Casting for Kreuk’s beastly leading man continues, so there’s still time to drop a few suggestions in the comments. And while you’re there, weigh in on Kreuk’s hiring!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News, Pilots

1. ML says:

can’t wait for this

• Bobby says:

BRING TOM WELLING AS THE LEAD!! AHHHHHHHH! I LOVE KREUK!!! xoxo

• cathvin87 says:

I like Kristin, but the script is HORRIBLE! They should not promote this show as a re-make of the 80′s original B&B -Instead of the mysterious, poetic Vincent they’re grinding him up & spitting him out to be a genetically altered hairy super soldier playing Wii & drinking beer?! They really should change the names of the lead characters b/c this is not the Beauty & Beast I came to love -I’ll probably watch the pilot out of curiousity, but I’m not expecting much -I’m glad the original series came out on DVD!

2. pffulton says:

Gross.

3. Tiva4Life says:

Good for her :)

4. jamie says:

Would it be weird to have Tom Welling star as the beast?

5. Jem says:

Just for kicks, my casting pick for Beast is…Tom Welling. Heh.

6. michelle says:

TOM WELLING should play the Beast!!

7. CB says:

The first one to suggest Tom Welling needs to be shot.

• lauren says:

Right?! A Facebook petition clamoring for Welling to get the role launches in 5…4…3…2…

• tom welling sucks says:

lol use pete or dude that played green arrow.. hell he was alway drunk in smallville it seemed lol

• seriously says:

Tom Welling is too stunningly gorgeous to be a beast. Rolling my eyes at those suggesting it. I know Kristin and Tom had great chemistry, so I sympathize with what they are saying. But the man is just too good looking for this to work.

8. carl says:

That’s cool news. I wonder how many times she will get rescued at the last second by the Beast and not know it was him that saved her? Will she and the Beast attend the same high school and very, very slowly fall in love; only to realize they are not destined to be together in the end? Maybe Gaston and the Beast start out as friends, but eventually become mortal enemies. That’s all I got right now.

9. Ashley says:

SHE IS PERFECT!!! Bahaha, Tom should be her beast, lol.

10. K says:

Love her from Smallville, so excited to see her onscreen again!

11. ZmaX says:

I was NOT interested in this show, but now that the beautiful and talented Kritin Kreuk is the lead…This show NEEDS to get picked up!
    and i think we know who the leading man should be…Tom Welling lol, but obviously him being the “Beast” is hard to imagine.
    (FYI, I liked BOTH Clana & Clois on Smallville, each one was important to the show)

12. Jones19 says:

Two Beauty and the Beast shows? Once Upon a Time is really affecting the TV landscape. Nice. My pick for the beast: Daniel Gillies! Fantastic actor.

13. Lynn says:

Hopefully her acting has improved since SV, but she’ll never hold a candle to Linda Hamilton

14. april-ann says:

Good choice. As for the beast, I suggest Roger Howarth.

15. Carmen says:

Tom Welling is NOT a beast. And he deserves better than that.

16. CharlieBlue says:

OK. It is not right remaking this ’80 classic, but OK. This should be really interesting…
    (My BatB show will always be the ’80s show though. I can’t really see any other actors as “Beauty” and “Beast” than Linda Hamilton and Ron Pearlman…)

17. Michael R says:

Another fairytale project?? There’s already 3 or 4 fairytale themed films that either have already come out or are about to come out. And we got two shows along those lines, only one of which really has staying power, Once Upon a Time. The market seems saturated. Will this be the new medical/legal/murder case solver genre that the networks will be jamming down our throats?

18. Tatiana says:

Brilliant. What he said.

19. aunt_deen says:

I was a huge fan back in the 80s. And I was not a fan of Kristin on Smallville. But I’m willing to concede the possibility that it was the character I couldn’t stand, not the actress.

20. Lauren says:

Ew. I can’t stand her. I love Beauty and the Beast but unless the show gets rave reviews I doubt I’ll be watching. I will probably be watching the other one though.

21. AT says:

I think this is a great choice. She worked really well off the character of Lex who was kind of like a princely “beast.” So I can really see this. I hope it gets picked up. As for the Beast it’s a pity they can’t go with Alex O’Loughlin or Sam Witwer. They’d be perfect in that role, but alas they are taken. So some other good choices would be Kyle Schmid, Jason Dohring or Craig Horner. Off the top of my head anyway.

22. Brian says:

Khloe Kardashian for the Beast??

23. AT says:

Another Beast choice: JAMIE DORNAN. He’d be perfect.

24. Kristom says:

I’m so glad they chose KK to be their female lead. I used to watch Linda Hamilton’s version. Linda was an attractive woman but KK is gorgeous. She fits the role. I hope the show gets picked. I wish all the best for KK. Oh and for the male lead…TOM WELLING…pleaseeeeee. I want Kristin and Tom to grace our TV again with their sizzling chemistry. Can’t wait to know some good news from this.

• michelle says:

Couldn’t agree w/ you more!

• Grant says:

Now mind you I’m not huge Smallville fan but for the times I watched it I think she had “sizzling chemistry” as you put it with the bald guy more than with the main actor. I never saw it with the main dude, they just seemed awkward together. But anyways, I think the CW’s going to go with someone else other than him, they’ll go with someone fresh, probably a young more hippier dude to fit with the CW demographics. Now who out there would be perfect for the Beast? My wife was suggesting Ed Westwick from Gossip Girl, I don’t see it.

25. Drew says:

I like Kristin, despite some of the bad writing that they gave Lana. She was really good, when she had something worthwhile to do on Smallville, and she was good on Chuck (should have been on more, actually)
    That said, I have serious doubts about this series. Will the CW allow one of their leading men to be a beast, as he was in the 80′s version? And if that leaked synopsis that came out a few weeks ago was real, the whole structure of the show is wrong. He’s a war vet who was experimented on? Really? We have to go there? Why can’t we ever have a show where our own military isn’t some Frankensteinian bad guy?
    The classic setup is good. She doesn’t need to be a superhero cop. He doesn’t need a convoluted backstory. Simple is sometimes the better way to go.
    If they can get the tone right for the show, I think Kristin could make a great lead for it.

26. Richard says:

Why is Hollywood remaking every god damn thing; where’s the creativity gone. Cool casting I guess but honestly no one can touch Linda. Plus it’s the CW, so that right there ruins everything for me. (Sorry don’t like the CW network, it’s too teeny bopper for me)

27. Julie says:

AHHH awesome news! All my fav actresses (Kristin, Erica and Cassidy) from Smallville are going to be back on my TV screens. This made my year!!! I honestly don’t know who’ll play the Beast but I’m sure whoever it is will be great. YAAY!!!!!

28. Grant says:

Not sure about Beauty and the Beast needing a reboot or show. From the leaked synopsis I read it sounds bad, so I don’t know if it’s even going to make it to air. If it does make it, I’ll watch if they get Linda Hamilton to guest-star with Ronny boy.

• Heather says:

I so agree. My gut feeling is, this will go the way of the recent Charlie’s Angels. It will not have Linda Hamilton (or anyone even remotely as beautiful), it will not have Ron Perlman, and it will not have Ron Koslow at the reins. So whatever you call it, you can’t call it “Beauty and the Beast”.

• carolinagirl says:

Ron Koslow actually is involved with this project hence the character name “Vincent Koslow”. Just a bit of conceit on Ron’s part, I imagine!!

• Lynn says:

Charlie’s Angels was created, produced, and televised on ABC, which works on close concert with the WB. Almost every WB produced show on EVERY network fails because of the incompetence of those doing the hiring, primarily because of the bad actors that they hire. CBS owns the rights exclusively to BATB, as it always has, and they are MUCH better at casting. Ron Koslow AND Paul Junger Witt are BOTH going to be involved in this, in the same roles as before, co-producers. They most definitely can call it Beauty and the Beast. I just wish they would put an attractive guy in the role of the Beast, because it’s usually a weird looking guy that is too “ugly for society” so they have to cover up his face.

29. Katie says:

Well there goes my interest in that show :(

30. Summer says:

Haha, you’re sooo witty.

31. Lauren says:

I’m sooo excited about KK coming back to TV as lead for Beauty & Beast! All my fave Smallville ladies have jobs cuz they rock! You go girls. Kristin’s going to be awesome way better than Emma Watson, I know it.

32. Heather says:

Why can’t Hollywood ever leave well enough alone? The original BATB was and is a classic, and no one could ever replace Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman. They had such marvelous chemistry, the show was sheer magic. This series doesn’t need a reboot, and BATB fans don’t want it. I’ll be watching my DVD boxed set instead.

• ChrisGa says:

I don’t even mind a reboot so much if it’s done well–and this being the CW,it’s already a hit-or-miss proposition–but I do agree the original with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman(which, to this day, remains the finest work on either of their resumes) was pure magic and so utterly original in comparison to what else was on at the time. Personally I almost wish it was an in-name-only project because I think the original is simply imcomparable in terms of the chemistry and overall quality.

33. Patrick says:

Call me an oldie or whatever, but why can’t some things be left sacred for the people who enjoyed the original show. Seems like they want to leech out every single dollar they can out of remakes. Thanks for ruining something that I grew up with.

34. Dominic says:

Bah, stoopid superficial smallvile fans. GET OVER IT! Clana is dead move on, that horse is dead stop beating it. People need therapy, it’s a new series, fresh start, new actors. Besides, no chance in hell TW’s going to take this second rate role to KK, not to mentioned he’s recluse and you’re not likely to see him in any roles for a while. Producing and directing is his thing now.

35. Jen says:

Ermmm…all the Clana fans wanting Tom in the role…He wouldn’t touch this with a 10 foot pole. KK didn’t really shine in SV after the first few seasons, mostly down to the awful characterization and the endless drama. And from the reports I read, KK got sick and tired of it as well. Never a good sign.
    Glad to see her moving on but back on the CW?? She deserves better

36. Nola says:

I want Tom Welling!

• Jules says:

That ain’t happening. Tom is 35 years old. For god sakes he should finally do something adult and CW isn’t the place that suits his maturity. He should land a role on the USA Network similar to what Gabriel Macht did as a smart, successful hot shot New York lawyer in ‘Suits’ that’s the kind of show Tom Welling needs to do. Not teenage soap opera’s or fairy tales. Time to move on Smallville folks.

37. Nola says:

I want tom welling on my television!

38. Jules says:

Anyways, I’m glad to see Kristin back! I would have preferred a show that didn’t involved Vampires or Fairy Tales but I’ll take whatever I can get. I’m just glad the ladies from Smallville are doing well, b/c they’re all stunningly beautiful and talented.

39. Guilherme says:

A few weeks ago I was interested in both B&B shows, but now? Here’s two reasons I won’t watch neither show: 1) Hate Kristin Kreuk, she’s one actress that can stop me from watching something; 2) The only Beauty and Beast I’m interested in are Belle and Rumpelstiltskin, my new favorite TV couple!

40. ron says:

Alex Petyfer of ‘I am number four’ or Michael Rosenbaum who played Lex Luthor in ‘smallville’.

41. Clana says:

Love it! Now they just need to announce Tom Welling as the Beast and all will be right in the CW world.

42. Marlo says:

She’s a horrible actress and this show sounds like it will be an embarrassment. She’s not even that pretty. I was so glad when they got rid of her on Smallville!

• Captain says:

Not pretty? This is what I don’t get, it’s one thing not to like a person but don’t be blind. She’s clearly gorgeous.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, there’s no doubt the girl is utterly stunning not to mention a good actress. Even when the TPTB on Smallville dismantled and destroyed anything good about the Lana character in the last season or two she was on the show she still managed to show up every ep with a great performance. I think this is a damn good casting choice.

43. Katie says:

So happy for Kristin. I love B&tB, and she is perfect for it! Seeing her with Tom would be epic. I hope many of her SV pals have a chance to guest star. Can’t wait to find out who’s cast as Beast. So excited!

44. Maggie says:

Ugh i’m not a big fan of kristin so i dont know if this show is goin to be any good. I’m just waiting for allison mack to finally be on a show. now she’s an actress that deserves her own show.

• judy says:

I loathed Chloe Sullivan on Smallville – REALLY loathed her. I loathed Lana Lang too, but at least Kristin Kreuk seems like a sweet person in real life and not an egomaniac…

45. AJ says:

Misha Collins as the Beast–if SPN doesn’t use him next year. The CW likes hiring CW actors.

46. Jerry says:

Well, any interest I had in this show is gone now.

47. Kat says:

How about the brit bad guy from the vamp diaries?

48. cristianodelacruz says:

I definitely feel like someone rugged should play Beast. Welling and Kreuk were beautiful in Smallville, but like many comments have already pointed out, Welling doesn’t seem to fit the Beast role. My picks for an actor that I feel could pull off the Beast well would be Ian Somerhalder (of The Vampire Diaries), Cam Gigandet (of Burlesque and The OC), Henry Cavill (of Immortals), Chris Evans (of Captain America and Push), James McAvoy (of X-Men: First Class and Atonement), and Max Greenfield (of New Girl).

• Brenda says:

Yes! Definitely Cam Gigandet! He’s proved he can be a sentimental, compassionate guy from his roles in The Roommate and Burlesque as well as a mean villain, which we see in his other films such as Twilight, Never Back Down, etc. I feel like the Beast would be aloof but quite mean at first, but would show a dynamic change in character as the story progresses and he learns to care for Kristin’s character. Cam can definitely play that role well, and out of script, he’s just a wonderfully sweet guy overall.
      If not Cam for the Beast, I’d choose Sebastian Stan or Garrett Hedlund.

49. prez says: