American Idol Recap: Hollywood Ending

Pity poor Jennifer Lopez. American Idol‘s Season 11 Hollywood Week proved so grueling for the Gigli star that she was forced to abandon her standard-operating spangled culottes and midriff-baring blouse and don a fluffy gray bathrobe for the annual “Holding Rooms of Doom” portion of the competition. Was J.Lo feverish, the latest victim of human petri dish Amy “Tent Dweller” Brumfield? Did she swaddle herself in cushy fabric to soothe her aching joints from the full-scale assault of hollering and caterwauling that occurred during Hollywood’s final solo round? Or was she simply trying to prepare us all for the day she shows up to one of the live performance telecasts in a fashion-forward, sequined Snuggie. (They are on trend this season, you know.)

Whatever the case may be, J.Lo, Steven Tyler, and some dude in a varsity letter jacket from High School for the Limited Vocabulary spent the first hour of the telecast listening to the 185 remaining singers, who’d separated themselves into 42 groups, and somewhat arbitrarily whittling them down to a more manageable 98 soloists. The groups seemed to fall into one of four categories, so let’s get started recapping ’em:

Person/Persons Pushed to the Brink of Collapse/Death | Meet Area 451, a quartet led by Italian restaurant waiter Johnny Keyser and car-dealership wind puppet Imani Handy, who repeatedly rises and collapses during rehearsal, but keeps insisting she’s ready for her big moment. Turns out she’s right, but her big moment involves seizing up, turning into human jello, and fainting once more with feeling in the middle of James Morrison’s “Broken Strings.” Yikes. And Imani’s humiliation isn’t quite done, either. As Ryan Seacrest blurts out an expletive and rushes onto the stage with Imani’s mom, Johnny continues his performance because, well, blowing his audition isn’t going to bring Imani back to life, is it? (For the record, the judges put him through to the next round.) The Idol medics get Imani propped up in a chair, but she’s not worried about life or death — only getting through to the next round. “They’re going to hate me,” she cries, but you know the judges have to give a sympathy pass to a girl who keeps pleading her case even though she’s not strong enough to stand on her own two feet. Bzzzzt! Think again. “Baby, I’m sorry. You’re going home. Don’t worry,” coos J.Lo, who’s not about to spend another second in an enclosed space with this potential contagion.

Person/Persons in Need of a Nationally Televised Takedown | Hey, it’s that obnoxious cop lady from last week’s Hollywood telecast. She’s still cursing and blathering and desperately trying to be catnip for the camera cats, but can she sing? Eh, not really. “Any of you guys need personal security, I’m your girl,” cop lady says as she exits the auditorium, leaving J.Lo to wonder what gave the emboldened commoner the impression that she was still allowed to speak.

Talented People Singing | Hollywood Five is everything Simon Cowell hoped The X Factor‘s InTENsity would be — only with half the number of vocalists and up to seven times as much ability.  On their rendition of Duffy’s “Mercy,” Jeremy Rosado steals the set with his killer falsetto, Gabi Carrubba shows off a muscular vocal, and Ariel Sprague, Eben Franckewitz, and David Leathers Jr. all display solid-enough chops to make the judges’ decision an easy one: You’re all advancing to the next round! (Their synchronized lean on the word “please” probably didn’t hurt either, right?)

Utter Chaos | As in years past, the Group Rounds include some decisions that seem wildly arbitrary. Jennifer Malsch’s quavery tone sounds like she’s performing “Hit ‘Em Up Style (Oops)” atop the spin cycle of her washing machine, but she’s rewarded (for staying up all night and providing “dramatic” footage?) while three of her equally questionable teammates from The Bettys sail through. (I won’t dispute the judges’ “yes” vote on fifth member Cari Quoyeser, who was clearly the cream of the crap.)

Other group round highlights:

* A member of the Bettys asking “What’s ‘Type A’?” and in the process proving that some children did in fact get left behind.

* Creighton Fracker, Reed Grimm, and Aaron Marcellus bringing Los Angeles right up to the precipice of a major earthquake with their combined histrionics on Sam and Dave’s “Hold On! I’m Comin’.” Luckily, Jen Hirsh saves the day with some fine hollerating of her own, and in defense of the entire quintet (which also includes Nick Boddington), their final breakdown and rousing finish sound pretty terrific.

* Brielle von Hugel’s mother continuing to use her harpie tongue to sabotage her daughter’s chances at winning America’s hearts. “Please, Jesus,” prays Mommie Dearest as her daughter takes the stage, “I have to deal with her when she comes back to the room.”

* Joshua Ledet unleashing a monster vocal on “Hit ‘Em Up Style” — where has Uncle Nigel been hiding him?

* Heejun Han, who’s clearly aware of the value of his spaced-out sound bites, admitting to his groupmate/nemesis Richie Law: “I talk a lot of craps about Richie. I’m really sorry to your parents.”

* Also getting ousted on the Conveyor Belt of the Feverish, Forgetful, Pitch-Challenged, and Unsteady: the aforementioned Tent Girl, her group mate Jacquie “fainting spell” Cera, frat guy Kyle Crews, vomiting guy Christian Lopez, W.T. “I quit my job as a prison guard for this” Thompspon, Symone “stage fall” Black, and Reis “yeah I forgot about him, too” Kloeckener.

With the field winnowed down to 98, it’s time for the final solos from Hollywood — backed by the Idol band, and with contestants allowed to play instruments if they wish — but unfortunately, we only get to see snippets of 10 performances because we have to devote a good 10 minutes to watching Reed Grimm haranguing the Idol vocal coaches and crying to his mommy. Let’s rank the contenders from least to most promising:

10) Reed Grimm: Okay, so maybe Reed’s perfectly fine vocal on “Georgia on My Mind” wasn’t the worst of the episode, but how to separate it from all the shenanigans that came before it? Granted, it had to be stressful to have Nigel Lythgoe informing him 30 minutes before his audition thay he couldn’t perform a capella — and needed to come up with a full band arrangement. But once vocal coach Peisha McPhee rushed in to help Reed, you’d think he’d have heeded her exasperated “let’s keep focusing” instead of spouting new-age nonsense and running around barefoot and asking for permission to call his mother. “That’s another Casey there,” said Randy, referencing Season 10’s resident jazzman Casey Abrams. But seeing how Randy is wrong 99% of the time about 99% of topics, chances are Reed is actually not Casey.

9) Creighton Fracker: I see faces pulled/ Hear overblown notes/ If he makes the live shows/ Will he get any votes?/ And I think to myself/ Could it get any wacker/ Yes, I think to myself/ It must be Creighton Fracker.

8) Rachelle Lamb: Eh, she got sent home in the Holding Rooms of Doom, do we really have to discuss her pedestrian, false-started cover of “The House That Built Me”?

7) Adam Brock: Dude not only swallowed “Georgia on My Mind” in one giant gulp, he licked the plate clean when he was done. Needs to learn the power of vocal restraint — stat!

6) Shannon Magrane: Almost went off the rails on the big notes, but to her credit she held on and finished her rendition of “Georgia on My Mind” “What a Wonderful World” on pitch. I just wish there was more soul, or something that made me feel like Shannon wasn’t produced on the same assembly line as Ayla Brown and Katie Stevens.

5) Colton Dixon: He’s got a rock-solid rocker voice, but I wonder if his version of Daughtry’s “What About Now” would’ve been as impressive without the skinny jeans and cresting wave of two-toned hair. (That’s just a question, not a judgment.)

4) Phillip Phillips: On the plus side, I appreciated the way he took liberties with the melody and tempo of Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game,” and very much enjoyed the whispered and moody ending, too. But conversely, when Phillip pushes his voice, it can occasionally sound like he’s singing through a repressed burp, if that makes any sense. I’m on the fence till we get to the live shows. (Side note: Why does Ryan keep calling him Phil when the chyron identifies him as Phillip?)

3) Skylar Laine: Her conversational style on The Band Perry’s “You Lie” was filled with a sense of fun and good humor that the sometimes too-serious contestants of Idol could learn from. Plus, I liked Skylar’s positive attitude about taking the stage in the face of nausea and fever that had sent her to the hospital for 3 liters of fluids: “It’s only a minute.” And a very good minute indeed.

2) Jen Hirsh: If there’s such a thing as giving a reiki massage to a song, then that’s what Jen did to “Georgia on My Mind.” The intro was so tender and mellow and, to be honest, seductive, you could see Steven Tyler wake from his usual open-eyed nap and grin with naughty delight. And while Jen’s tone got just a bit screamy right toward the end, she showed great control and tone when she was belting, too.

1) Joshua Ledet: There were a couple overblown seconds where I got an “oh no, it’s Jacob Lusk 2.0” vibe from Joshua, but for the most part, his “Jar of Hearts” was stirring and sensational, and worthy of the judges’ standing O. I loved the grit in Joshua’s voice almost as much as I hated Randy hammily pointing skyward (see accompanying image, and J.Lo’s restraint in not choking him out) when Joshua went for the glory note.

Also among those moving on to Vegas: David Leathers Jr., Hallie Day, Erika Van Pelt, Lauren Gray, Elise Testone, Jeremy Rosado, Baylie Brown, Angie Zeiderman, Heejun Han, Britnee Kellogg, and possibly Cortez Shaw (who I think I spotted in Holding Room 1).

What did you think of the group rounds and final solos? Has anyone struck you yet as a potential winner? Sound off below, and for all my Idol news, views, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Annie says:

Didn’t Shannon Magrane sing What a Wonderful World?

• Will says:

I actually really, really like Shannon. Listening to her on that song, she reminded me of a more polished Haley. And lord knows she’s better here than Haley was on her performance the same week. I have high hopes for Shannon and hope we get more of her all the way through to the live shows.

2. Betsy says:

There haven’t been any amazing stand-out auditions that make you go to You-Tube the next day and watch them over and over like there usually are – Casey Abrams was one of those, but there have been many in the past – so I still don’t have any favorites.
    Whatever happened to Colton’s sister?

• Moryssa says:

I was wondering what happened to her, too. I figured they’d be playing up the brother/sister both competing angle, but we haven’t seen her since the original audition, I don’t think.

3. Deb says:

Let me say, as a college instructor,that it is possible (and you should read that as probable) that they weren’t left behind but that they were texting the day they covered that in class.

4. marie says:

I rather miss the old days on Idol when “not giving feedback” during the final solo perfomances meant just that, with stone-faced judges sitting there silently evaluating. These three flout that rule, with their standing O’s and hollering and all that. They completely telegraphed who would be getting through and who would be cut (at least for those contestants we saw). That telegraphing had to be clear to the kids eventually assigned to one of the four rooms, as well.
    It’s still pretty horrifying to me that all this group contagion was allowed to just spread – it felt almost gleeful – for the sake of TV drama, though.

5. Fan says:

I really liked Colton Dixon last year, and I’m really pleased that he’s made it so far again. What happened to his sister? Is she still in the competition?

6. Leila says:

Joshua and Jen were definitely the best of the night, and I hated Reed’s antics. He’s a good singer and doesn’t need to be a clown/camera hog. The problem with this generation that grew up watching reality shows is that they’ll do anything to get the cameras pointed to them.

7. Nadine says:

Do you know something about Philip that we don’t? “On the fence til we get to the live shows.” Does that mean he made top 24? If so, YUK.

• Sandrine says:

He IS in the top 24.

• Forwarders says:

Stop being a troll. Do Not post top 24 spoilers.

• Louie says:

You must have been busting at the seams to relay this nugget of wisdon!
        Good work, detective! /sarcasm

• Sandrine says:

Well, didn’t she ask a question? I merely answered it. Definitely not busting at the seams but you must be… Trying to be sarcastic but you ended up sounding stupid. Wisdon?! Would it hurt to check your spelling first before you post?! Jeez! He is ONE person in the top 24, the world wouldn’t end if you knew about it! Get over it.

• JenBee says:

How do the judges see Phillips as anything other than a fine Dave Matthews impersonater??? Seriously. The tone, the phrasing, the way he holds his guitar, the way he pulls his face in pained looking expressions, the “dancing” footwork — it’s painfully obvs.

• PMB says:

My 11 year old even said that!

• Brigette says:

I would have to agree. I enjoy looking at his attractive face, he may be fun to go hear in a coffee shop or something, but he’s not in any way appropriate for this competition. Would Dave Matthews feel right on American Idol? No. (And by the way, even though Phillip reminds me of DM, I’m not saying he’s anywhere as good. Oh no.)

• ejones says:

He sings at the back of his mouth, very throaty, I assume that’s what Slezak implied with his comment. Nowhere near good enough to be in final 12/13

8. Pete says:

Joshua Ledet is so Jacob Lusk 2.0 and the last thing we need is more Jacob Lusk. Every year during auditions I see tons and tons of talented singers and yet I am still always stumped how we end up with people in the top 24 who can’t sing or are so annoying you can’t enjoy their voice, like Creighton Fracker and Brielle. Where do all the talented people go??

• karenb says:

I’m so with ya, Pete.

• lynne says:

I have noticed the same thing. I suspect the talented people who get cut are not the flavour of the day this year.

• Ben says:

On the other hand, some people (Colton Dixon comes to mind, as does Hollie Cavanagh) got cut right at the end last year as probable cannon fodder, and if they end up making the top 24 this year I think they will stand a much better chance of making the top 12/13. Sometimes I like the fact that they put in a little cannon fodder to protect contestants who they think have the chance to be significantly better if they hit the live shows in a year or two.

• Angela says:

THAT’S who my mom was trying to recall the name of last night! She made that comparison, too.
      I like these recaps because they remind me of the exact names of all the contestants, most of whom I can’t even remember at this stage in the game (which isn’t always that unusual, that’s happened in seasons past, but I don’t think it’s always that good a sign that I often can’t recall people’s names by this point). About the only group I flat out liked was the one who did “Hold On (I’m Comin’)”. They were GOOD. Others did have some individuals who were quite good, but who unfortunately got lost in the rest of the group’s missed notes and such.
      As for the “drama”-oh, my god *Rolls eyes*. Either it’s all overdone for the show, or these people really need to learn how to interact with each other better. I don’t know which is more annoying. And seriously, one more person collapses or gets sick, I swear…

• Youmustbejoking says:

I hope you aren’t just saying that because they are both black. Go back and listen to the two of them again. They’re vocals couldn’t be more different. Jacob Lusk has a very clean sound and does heaps of Gospel runs. Whereas Joshua Ledet has a gravely timbre and keeps his runs much more tasteful. He also doesn’t go of tune as much as Lusk did or have the same kind of range. I seriously don’t know what you are smoking. I would love to here Ledet sing any genre. Him and Lauren Gray are the only reasons I am still watching this show. Too much drama, crying etc. Not enough music

9. B.Rich says:

The sister was in his holding room, so yes she made it.

10. Scoble says:

I have yet to see that one that will make me stop and say ‘There’s your winner’.

• marie says:

Me neither. Underwhelmed so far, but I’m not discouraged, because if there’s one thing I’ve learned from 10 seasons, it’s to reserve judment – seriously! – until the live shows.

11. Karen says:

Slezak, I disagree with you about Joshua Ledet. I think your initial reaction was right and he will prove to be Jacob Lusk 2.0. Always go with the initial gut instinct. Plus, his diction is atrocious.
    My faves right now are Skylar Laine and Erika Van Pelt.

12. katie says:

Heejun Han is the only good thing about this season. Instead of putting him through as a finalist, maybe they could just give him a permanent seat behind Randy so he can pull faces during all the live shows.

• Sue says:

Heejun does have a good voice and he’s smart. All the faces and sound bites mean that he’s getting tv face time before the semi’s. We all know how important that is with AI. Occasionally you have someone like Jason Castro that has had no face time, but a great performance makes to notice them. Most of the time, if no one has seen you, you face an uphill battle.

• Brigette says:

Heejun made me laugh so hard last night that I had tears in my eyes. That fake apology to Cowboy was amazing. He HAS to stay on the show!

13. Carol says:

Does anyone else remember that Peisha McPhee is Katharine’s mom?

14. Sorry, Michael, but despite some of their histrionics, I like Creighton Fraker’s and Reed Grimm’s voices–a lot of control there and I don’t think they oversing the way a lot of the contestants do. My jury is definitely out till I see more of all the finalists, though.

• Tahoe Mike says:

I agree about these two. I like both of them. I thought that Creighton Fraker was going to be all attitude when I first saw him, but he seems to have toned that down and to be taking this seriously. What A Wonderful World is a BIG song, and he sang it big.
      There is something likeable about Reed Grimm, though I could have done without the momma drama. People keep comparing him to Casey, as I fear every guy with a jazz feel will be forever; but he seems to be harmless and charming crazy, not psycho killer crazy like Casey.

15. RO says:

Whatever happened to Haley Smith? Was she ever shown in Hollywood?

16. Pat says:

I agree with you on almost everything Slezak, especially my hatred for Reed Grimm and Creighton Fraker.
    However, I disagree with Joshua Ledet and Aaron Marcellus.
    I think Aaron’s got the great tone and voice control to go far. I think he’s just been a bit over-the-top to impress the judges. I fully expect him to reel it in.
    As for Joshua? His tone is good but he came off as one melodramatic ballad away from a Jacob Lusk-esque completely-off-the-rails performance. I’m not trying to see him make the finals to see whether that comes true.

17. scrutinizer says:

and what about ashlee “joy dance”???….i really thought she brought a wonderful energy and originality to the show, plus she has a great voice. did she survive the cut?

18. Anna says:

Jen Hirsh is/was a revelation.

• Tahoe Mike says:

Yeah she is, I loved that performance. She “Made it her own,” as they say, and killed it. She managed to show both tenderness and power.

• Brandon R. says:

Amen to that. I’m so happy to see her shining…I LOVED her audition back in Season 9, when she did that amazing scat version of “Ding Dong, The Witch Is Dead.” She did a TERRIFIC job last night.

19. marie says:

So THAT’S what Philip Phillips was singing, “Wicked Game”? Geez, I KNOW that song, and I truly did not recognize it – “liberties with the melody,” indeed! So far I’m not a fan of the fair Mr. Phillips, whose range I think is very, very limited. I do see star potential in Colton, but as I’ve said, I’ve learned the hard way to wait until the live shows to make up my mind. Casey last year would have been enough to teach me that (although he has certainly delighted me all over again with his wonderful duet with Haley on “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”).

20. kate says:

Can someone please explain to me what happened to Colton’s sister/why they’ve totally failed to address the fact that she’s been eliminated? (Unless I missed that episode…)

• umbrella says:

From Schyler’s FB page:
      Schyler Dixon
      Congrats to Colton, awesome performance tonight. Hopefully you guys will get to see most the Vegas performances. Some great performers, and my group had a blast going old school.

• Jana J. says:

They showed her go through last night.

21. Cindy says:

I am willing to bet that the ‘they’ put Colton and Shyler Dixon(is that how she spells her name?) together when we see who goes on to the top 24.

22. ladyinsilver says:

If Jason Ladet can keep the spirit of Jacob Lusk out of his performances, then he could be something that Idol has never seen before – a black male rocker. That could be very cool. I still feel like Nigel is hiding most of the top 24 contenders from us. Where was Baylie Brown in all this? She is a shoo-in.

23. RTW says:

I find it odd that Baylie Brown wasn’t shown AT ALL considering her elimination years ago was during group week. I thought there would have been some sort of retribution story. Maybe that footage will arise at a later date?

24. Jill says:

Kudos for working “chyron” into the recap.

25. Lacey J says:

I want to know what’s happened with Haley Smith from the Aspen auditions. Also, why have they not shown anything from Deandre Brackensick?! He was AMAZING last season until they cut him right before top 24, but they haven’t given him any screen time this year. I keep catching glimpses of him though, so I know he’s still in there.

26. Jaime says:

I hate how they don’t show Aubree Deickmeyer at all.
    She did make it to Las Vegas though!

27. Tahoe Mike says:

Does anyone have any idea WHY they do the group thing at all? Does it serve some purpose that I just don’t get? It is just out of step with the format of all of the other rounds of the competition. Does anyone feel like this helps you evaluate the contestants in some unique and useful way?

• Pat says:

Harmonizations, if you can’t harmonize, you’re not playing with a full deck. It’s easier to pick someone out as off-key or missing a note when they’re singing with others. Also, it shows determination and musical acumen. If you perform a passable version of a pop song with dance moves and some harmonies in 12 hours, then you’re probably not ready for the big leagues.

• Louie says:

Plus it shows you can do those hokey group numbers they make everyone do for Results Night

• Pat says:

I meant to say: If you CAN’T perform a passable version of a pop song with dance moves and some harmonies in 12 hours, then you’re probably not ready for the big leagues.

• RushmoreJimmy says:

they do a lot of group numbers on tour as well. Plus I think if all things are equal, they will pick someone who gets along with others, at least I would hope so!

• Leila says:

Because there are hundreds of hopefuls and they don’t have time to hear them in solo performances for the first cut.

• My Alter Ego says:

T.M. – Pat’s response is very good. The ability to create (musical) harmonization (and particularly, maybe moving away from the standard harmonies)is critical to singers and also revealing about one’s musical abilities. But I think there is more.
      It also demonstrates arranging, staging, leadership and teamwork skills. Yes, teamwork. Because unless one is truly a solo performer (can provide ALL of one’s own accompaniment), music is a team effort (think of a symphonic orchestra). It also reveals those whose personalities/arrogance can get them in trouble.
      But most of all, I think that point of the exercise (if you will) is to see how well a given group of people can learn to work with a bunch of strangers to create and execute something presumably new to them in a short amount of time.

28. akdar says:

What is it with so many people collapsing because of dehydration? With the AI budget, can’t they buy some drinks for the poor kids? Seems almost like they keep them dehydrated on purpose to get some more dramatic footage to air.

• aravis says:

I’d think there would be enough liquid around for anybody. But they don’t lead you to the water fountain; you gotta hydrate yourself.

29. kate says:

Mr. Slezak, Can I make a personal request that you work the Eric Northman “What a bitch” clip (from the post-Nan slaughter) into the Idology videos, to be used whenever J.Lo does something obnoxious and condescending? Hook me up.

30. Genie says:

I have enjoyed reading your recap for years but it’s not as much fun anymore, and it’s not just the Idol recap. There is a lot more hate then like/love goin’ on. Is it the various programs fault, or do you need a vacation? Let’s keep the hate directed at Randy for now and give the singers a break (well except for that cowboy guy), until we get to know them a bit more.

• Genie says:

I haven’t been reading everyday so maybe I missed this Mike but why no ranting about the producers allowing so many people get so sick and some were just dehydrated which is easily avoided. You complain about Reed but no complaints about kids passing out left and right?????

31. mcperez says:

Phillip Phillips reminds me a lot of Dave Matthews. From the voice to the way he performs.

• Tim says:

Last night had everything I love about this show — group trainwrecks, a handful of great performances, even Randy pulling out his usual B.S. line that this is the best talent they’d had in all the years he’s done the show. Season’s on!

32. Draksus says:

I’m interested to see more from Jeremy Rosado. He sounded really good at the end with his group the “Hollywood Five”. So far he seems nice and he has potential. I’m just getting upset with the show in general being a drama party instead of a singing talent show. Stop showing everyone getting sick, complaining, and stressing out and show us what they can do when they hit the stage.

33. shizzy says:

I’m keeping my eye out for the Heejun guy. He’s got that uniqueness that keeps plenty of these contestants on the show. Plus the guy is adorable— “craps about you” haha

34. Devon says:

OMG thank god someone on this site appreciates these two unique voices. Michael Slezak is like a serious hater, and this comin from a Haley fan :/ anyways creighton sounds like Tevin Cambell to me : D def my two fav guys. And Jen Elise and erika r me fav girls

• Ben says:

You’re not wrong, in that Michael does have a tendency to put down performances that some would consider strong, because he doesn’t like the style of the individual. I don’t think thats so much a hater though, its just that he doesn’t pretend that he is objective. In calling someone ‘Jacob Lusk 2.0’, it helps to remember that Jacob had enough fans to make it to 5th last year – and so it might not be a bad thing.

• NedPepper says:

Slezak hated Haley last year at this time. He didn’t jump on her bandwagon until a couple weeks into the Top 12. It’s too hard to really pick a horse at this point. There have been s few who screamed “TOP 3” in the past, but for the most part on this show, you don’t really know who is great until the voting period. Some people grow or come out of nowhere with very little screen time. Happens every year.

35. Anna B says:

Did anyone else notice that it looked like Erika Van Pelt was wearing a white too-small vest when she was shown in last night’s episode??? I mean, I love the woman, but it’s like she has a closet full of too-small vests, and it MUST STOP.

36. Lbeau says:

Has there been any mention of Brittany Zuka? Did I miss her elimination…or maybe she’s still around?

37. Lemon says:

Simon once said, ( or implied ) that he was looking for the next Taylor Swift. I think Jlo/Randy/Steven want to beat him to the punch. I think that’s why so many talented people won’t get through, and many not so talented people will. They want to stack the deck with Taylor Swift types. Just a hunch….we’ll see how it plays out.

• syb says:

They desperately tried in season 9 with Janelle and Didi, and of course Simon did this season on X Factor. But the wispy blond girl is never gonna outbeat the Lees of the world unless they’re Carrie Underwood level.

• Grace says:

Wait. I’m sorry, I cant… the Taylor Swifts of the world will never beat the LEE DEWYZES of the world?? Really? Because Taylor Swift is a multiple Grammy winner who sells out stadiums and Lee Dewyze plays $5 bar gigs out of obscure Chicago suburbs… I MEAN!

38. Danielle Notaro says:

Don’t know why you are so about Jeremy Rosado. I think he stinks. And Phillip he he kid who sounds like Dave Matthews and even started doing the Dave Matthews “dance” I liked him a couple of weeks ago..last night not so much

39. nichole says:

I just love Heejun Han. I want to have his cowboy hating, hoodie wearing, craps talking, face pulling, Bolton singing babies! I am also glad Colton is sticking around since he should have been put through last year over Brett.

40. OMB says:

I wonder if Randy earned his Music merit badge last night….

41. raftrap says:

As always you speak nothing but the truth. Also I bet J.Lo will (friendlily) punch Randy before the third live hour of “Idol” this season… and will outright punch him before the season ends.

42. Virginia says:

What about the Jonathan Rhys Myers (sp?) looking guy? I thought he was terrific, but nobody’s talking about him. Wasn’t he a waiter or was that another guy? He’s very calm on the stage and I think he sounds wonderful. Definitely Top 3 contender.

43. Eolra says:

1) I was really disappointed with the lack of variety of contestansts we saw. I’ve already seen these people’s auditions, thier accapella audition in Hollywood Round 1, seen them featured in the group auditions, did I really need to see the exact same group of contestants final solos? I get trying to follow a contenstant’s trajectory, can we please have a few surprises here and there? Seeing Joshua Ledet was refreshing because he hasn’t been shoved down my throat.
    2)Am I just getting old, or are a lot of the judges favorites really annoying this year? The seem to find Reed Grimm, Adam Brock, Johnny Keyser “cute”, “funny”, “endearing”, and “artists”. All I see is “obnoxious” “loud-mouthed”, and “self-indulgent”. Yuk.

• Tim says:

“Seeing Joshua Ledet was refreshing because he hasn’t been shoved down my throat.”
      Give it time, I’m sure they will.

44. syb says:

I’d put Jen at #1, I liked Reed a whole lot better than did MS (although clearly he isn’t Casey Abrams level), and as averse as I am to country music, I really thought Skylar did a great job, if a bit OTT on the drawl. Joshua is very good.
    How about less soap opera and more singing producers? I saw some folks in the winning rooms that I’ve never seen before on any episode. Criminy.

45. Teri says:

Judges to one group: “We liked you in your past auditions, but you didn’t do well tonight, so you are going home.”
    Judges to another group five minutes later (the Heejun/Phillips/cowboy group): “we liked you in your past auditions, but you didn’t do well tonight. You’re going through.”
    Make up your minds and be consistent, judges.

46. The Squatch says:

I can’t remember the name of “Tent-Girl”, but I was kind of annoyed at how they kept blaming her for people getting sick and calling her “patient zero” and things like that. I think it made her look really bad for no reason. She had to catch it from someone else there to begin with… unless she caught it before she left from her next-door-chipmunk.
    Also, can’t stand the 20 gallon D-Bag in the 10 gallon cowboy hat. Just throwing that out there…

47. caitlin says:

Ummmm… COLTON DIXON ALL THE WAY! <3<3<3 I love him So much!!!!

48. Leticia Prado says:

Johnny kept singing because the band kept playing.