GH's Finola Hughes and Kimberly McCullough: Robin's Exit Will 'Enormously Impact' Everyone

General Hospital‘s latest reunion between Robin and her mother, Anna Devane, may be shiny-happy at this early stage, but the big drama that sets in motion Kimberly McCullough’s exit storyline is right around the corner.

“It’s coming quick, in the next couple of days,” McCullough tells TVLine. Adds Finola Hughes, when I asked when we’ll get into the “meat-and-potatoes” of it all: “We’re on hors d’oeuvres right now, and then we’ll move onto the second course.”

This much is known going into the coming weeks, during which Hughes will be joined on the canvas by Tristan Rogers (as Robin’s father, Robert Scorpio) and Rick Springfield (reprising his role of Patrick Drake’s doctor dad, Noah): Robin’s latest HIV protocol “is working, and she’s fine now.” But it’s a major event that’s about to hit Port Charles hard, TVLine hears, that will begin pointing Dr. Scorpio-Drake toward the exit door.

Whether fans of Robin and/or her romance with Patrick will be socked with bad news “depends on how you look at,” McCullough says. “I am leaving the show, so it’s just a matter of how does that all go down. How does that affect the other characters, what does that mean for Anna now that she’s back, and what does it mean for Patrick?”

“Clearly,” Hughes interrupts, “whatever Robin [goes through] is going to enormously impact the people left in Port Charles. It’s such an integral character to the show, it’d be impossible to figure out the ‘right’ way to help Kimberly go off and make films…. But I think that in the hands of the new [executive] producer and headwriter, Frank [Valentini] and Ron [Carlivati], hopefully we’ll be serving up something that people will tune into.”

McCullough for one has the utmost faith in the lone ABC sudser’s creative team to pull this off. “Even though they’re ‘new,’ they both have a respect for the history of the show,” she explains. “I mean, they came on and immediately Finola’s back, Tristan’s back, Rick, Emma Samms [as Holly]… You can tell that they’re fans of General Hospital in its entirety, not just what’s going on right now.”

Robert! Holly! Noah! Get the General Hospital Vets’ Return Dates!

That said, McCullough turns to Hughes to playfully note that her TV mom has her to personally thank for this latest encore. “I asked [the Powers That Be] a long time ago, actually, because I kind of knew this was coming for about a year,” she reveals. “[I texted Finola] ‘Are you available?’ because I wanted to pitch a story she’d be involved in.”

Hughes, of course, was all in, rejoining the show in a way that will help usher off the character she helped introduce some 26 years ago. “I’ve never really been on this show without Kimberly,” Hughes reflects. As such, “[Having Anna here] is a very important part of the storytelling.”

Soaps Dish: Robin Mattson Books GH Homecoming

Curiously, when I asked McCullough if this send-off will find her doing her heaviest dramatic lifting since, say, the Stone’s Death storyline, she rebuffed with a quick no. “Everyone else does the heavy lifting,” she offered. “I’m personally doing the heavy lifting, but not as Robin. That might not make sense, but it will when you see it!”

Rewatch Anna’s surprise return, then share your latest theory on what’s coming up:

Loading video...

1. Alastair says:

Well, I’m not sure how you can kill off a relatively health HIV/AIDS patient in a matter of months, but I suppose they’ll find some dumb way to do so.

• sandee says:

I don’t think they’re killing her off from AIDS I suspect she dies some other way and if she’s anything like her parents she’ll “die” and show up alive one day like they did.

• jb says:

I think that you are right that she will die but not from AIDS. But General Hospital will likely not be on the air long enough for her to return from the dead.

• Debaloo says:

I’ve heard that something is supposed to happen at the hospital benefit. Either a bomb going off or their is gunfire and Robin is caught in the crossfire. Not sure of the validity of that rumor but it makes much more sense than having her die of AIDS considering the new protocol is working.

• rycki1138 says:

I agree with the bomb or gunfire scenario. It’s February. It seems something always just happens to explode in Port Charles during the February Sweeps. If I lived in Port Charles, I’d be leaving town in January and not come back until March.

• Snapy says:

Faison fakes Robin’s death, leaving the door open for her and Patrick to reunite when GH ends.

• Robin says:

I Don’t Think She Will Die From HIV/Aids, I think maybe some kind of explosion, I saw comming attraction Where Patrick Yells noooooooo Robin Than A loud Bang.

• Rachel says:

Well at least its a soap opera so no matter how they kill her off they’ll always be able to find a way to bring her back.

• annboever says:

it would really not be the same with out robin on gh i have always liked her on there ever sence shes was a little girl to so you had better keep her on gh to, so please just keep her on gh

• joe Sampson says:

Wow, this storyline with the HIV/AIDS has hit close to home being a homosexual male. It has given the veiwers the rtealtiy that HIV/AIDS is not merely a “gay Disease” but hits every aspect of every person who has ever had unprotected sex or used needles. From the bginnings of Orbin n Stone, to robin and Jason’s relationship, to Patrick Drake, Emma, And crazy Lisa NIles AiDS infested needle wepaon has made this stroy one of the most controversail on daytime TV. Kudos to GH fro prtrying a veteran character as a female straight doctor living wiht hIV and still living a normal life. thankfully, they ddint kill her off becaause of ehr disease, that would ahve given alot fo people living with HIV a false sense of security. although, the possibility of your protocol nopt working and your helath declining is entirely possible and should be recognized. In my spoiler opinion, I think the death of robin will ahev somethign to do with Franco. he is not dead, he is a major part of the next few months of GH. My prediction is that Franco is actually Jason’s sibling or switched with Jason at birth which could explain the DNA being Jasons kid when it really will be Francos. MUch excitement to come on GH and faithfull watchers continue to show ytour support to save this show and maybe bring OLTL back

• su says:

you killing me here, how could you do this. it was horrible but i am not quitting the show

• Angelica says:

Well as u guys don’t know I think Britt is a bitch she always try’s to get her way and I hope Robbins come back fast because dr drake is starting to have fillings 4 Sabrina that’s not a bad thing tho its just under to roben when she comes back

• Angelica says:

Sup people I think Britts stupid

2. Nerdista says:

I’m super bummed she’s leaving again but I’m also happy with the direction of the show with the new head writers.

• soapster says:

I am super bummed she’s leaving too, I grew up with her, but glad that she is truly gone, the role of Robin couldn’t be played by anyone else!!

3. cpreynolds says:

Great story and really great old pictures!

4. tani says:

Im PO’D i hope Robin’s character is presumed dead or i am really finished with this show.We know theirs going to be some kind of big accident i just hope that they dont really kill her off since i dont think GH has that much longer on the air and i would hate to kill off Robin for good if the show will be going off the air in the next year or so.I had really lost interest in the show as of late and when i heard the mannings were coming on the show i thought great i will now continue to watch after Robin goes, but then i find out they teased us fans and its only for a few weeks.So after they leave and my faves Robin, Holly and Robert all leave the show i will probably not even watch the show anymore.I dont like one couple on the show and i dont care for the mob storyline or any other storyline right now except for Robin and the mannings.Its too bad cuz OLTL was the best show on the air when it was cancelled.

5. LA says:

I know I’m in the minority, but I find Robin to be boring in the extreme. Glad she’s leaving. I don’t miss Lucky, either.

6. JnR Fan says:

I’m glad for all the new possibilities of the show, but I will NOT watch anymore if Robin is killed off. I keep holding out hope that she will not die, but we will see.

7. raelee514 says:

Robin Scorpio was my first scene of GH.
    I don’t want her ‘die’.

8. Kris says:

I just hope she finds a cure for Jason before she dies!!

• smith32 says:

THIS SUCKS ROBIN KILLED OFF TODAY I’M FINISHED WITH GH I CRIED ABOUT THIS LOVED HER WATCHED HER GROWUP LIKE ONE OF MY CHILDREN…..WHY GH WHY??????????

9. Pam says:

Taking into account the new writers are going with history….I’ll put my money on something to do with Fiason. Remember him!!

10. Sara says:

Can’t be mad at GH for her wanting to make movies. It’s her choice to leave…the show’s not forcing her off. I hope they don’t have her die of her HIV status. I hope it’s something involving her family that they can undo if she realizes she made a mistake in leaving.

• iluvssw says:

I totally agree, everyone should be celebrating the fact that this young woman has gone to school, already has at least one short film under her belt and plans to go on to direct full length films/docs. She is following her passion and I am proud of her for that. I will be very sad to see Robin go, no matter how they write her out, it will be hard to watch.

11. Allison says:

I think Jason is leaving too… It’s gonna be very interesting to see how the “big event” unfolds and who is left unscathed. Probably not many will be UNaffected. The next several weeks are going to be must-see TV!!

12. andrea says:

I like robin but only in her story line with patrick. Allof you who keep saying they are not going to watch anymoren or are convinced the show is going off the air, you should keep that to yourselves as the rest of are holding out that the show will be saved!

13. Kelly says:

Robin is one of my all time favorite characters. I love Kimberly Mccullough. She’s a great actress and was undervalued by Guza. I’m hoping there is hope/a door left open for Robin. My speculation is the mob stuff gets Robin killed/presumed dead. That will leave her parents,the police and John Mcbain to finally take down the annoying mob element in Port Charles.

14. Levnaj says:

I agree. I also do not understand the fascination with the character, Elizabeth. I find it counter-intuitive that she is a number one ABC actress or that Jason and Elizabeth are a favorite couple.

15. Jadda says:

Lol!! I agree. I loved her with her parents and the Stone storyline… Other than that she was kinda boring.

16. krktoday says:

I don’t really care that she is leaving. I do hope she will be dead since she want’s out. I hate to see the character of Patrick wasted on not being able to go on with his life because she might be out there in the fog somewhere. Although I seriously don’t like the new woman on the show playing the child doctor so I don’t want him hooking up with her.

17. krktoday says:

I definitely agree with you on not understanding the fascination with Elizabeth. Every guy on the show want’s her one time or another and I don’t get it. She is so self centered and she has all those kid’s by all those different guy’s. I just don’t get it.

18. Katy says:

I hope whatever they do it its powerful and lasts. I hate to see Robin leave but since she is, maker it memorable! Bj, Stone.. Scenes you never forget

19. anne says:

I have watched Robin (Kim) since she first started on the show. It will be sad to see her go. I hope they bring more original characters back. Why they never brought Laura back I will never understand. I really like Ewan and Elizabeth. Something new. I hope GH stays on the air.

• Tasha says:

They did no bring Laura back because Genie Francis declined. She said that she is not interested in playing a role of a victim and unless GH makes Laura a stronger woman she wont play her again. If they make her stronger she said it would be fun to play her again. She said this on oprah with Anthony Geary.

20. RealGH says:

Considering Tristan Rogers is not on for the Forseeable Future as was originally claimed in this column, not really sure this story is going to turn out good for anyone. Finola is only on for a short time as well. Keeping the talented actors on the show that made it great would have been the wiser move, but alas again another epic failure.
    More mob all the time with some OLTL characters thrown in. Wow didnt think it could be worse.
    Well it was a good 49 years while it lasted

21. Kat says:

I hate to see Kim go but I’ve been hating a lot of things about GH. ABC Daytime basically decided to kill the show so they could put on cheap talk TV/reality garbage and when they made that decision the plotlines and writing got worse and worse. I don’t see how Frons, Guza and JFP had jobs or could even claim to be in the entertainment business based on what they systematically did to GH.
    Having said that, if ABC/Disney is ending GH this year then why not stay till the end? Kim, JJ and the long time classic GHers should stay because even though TPTB at GH have been doing a horrible job and making awful decisions these actors owe it to the fans to be there through the end.
    GH should bring back Brenda and Jax and give them some real material to work with as a couple. The garbage Guza gave Vanessa Marcil to work with was criminal and the whole Sonny/Brenda storyline was a joke!
    Bring back Laura, JJ as Lucky, Scotty, Lucy, Bobbie, Nicholas, Frisco, Felicia, Ned and Lois…these were the characters who made GH great and we miss them! Brook Lynn could come back with Ned and Lois, Serena with Scott and Lucy. They could revive L&B Records. Mac could take over as Mayor with Robert or Anna as Police Commish. Can you see cigars and poker games with Luke, Sonny, Robert, Mac and Edward? There is so much ABC/Disney could do and the fans will follow if they only respect the history of the show.
    I would encourage everyone to boycott The Chew and The Revolution for now and Katie Couric’s new show when it comes out because it seems that the only way ABC/Disney will give us quality programming is if we REFUSE to watch the more profitable garbage they are trying to force feed us!

22. Amber says:

Although Patrick is an integral part of the show, I wish he were being written off with Robin so they could have a happily ever after.

23. Jamie says:

I think they’re going to blow up Robin, since today’s show and the talk about mixing those chemicals could cause an explosion

24. Patricia says:

I will be so sorry to see Kimberly leave the show. Robin is such a rich character, with a complex history. Her character has remained an admirable one because she has stayed true to herself, and is always loyal and caring to the people she cares about. To me, soaps are really about the close relationships between the characters. There are certain rules in soaps, too. Rules GH has forgotten. You can never have the characters that are the mainstay of the show, do something unforgivable. A perfect example is Luke killing his grandson because he was careless and uncaring and drunk. The characters who are the total villains can do something unforgivable- but even for them, there is a limit. I so hope that GH is able to return to the rules and values of what soaps should be!

25. lipsticksocialism says:

Finola Hughes is love! I will miss Kim McC. Thanks for covering the soaps!!

26. Joyce Achor says:

My club & I are getting our Puffs & hankies ready. We are sooo sad that Kimberly is leaving. We LOVE her! Robin & Patrick are the BEST soap couple ever… AND, when Emma came along…a perfect family! We are grateful that TPTB brought back Anna(Finola)..Love her,too…What GREAT Mother/Daughter scenes they have provided us over the years…Hope it is true that Tristan(Robert) & Rick(Noah) are returning as well for this sad S/L. I realize my club & I are selfish wanting Kim to stay, but Robin, Patrick, & Emma brought us much, much JOY! However, we do wish her many successes in her personal & professional lives…God bless You, & Thank You, Kimberly McCullough!!!!!

• Terri Lea says:

If anyone thinks that Robin and Patrick are the best soap couple that ever was proves that whomever they are, they must be young. The best soap couple EVER HAS to be LUKE and LAURA. I like Robin and Patrick, but Luke and Laura have to be the King and Queen of daytime tv, long term. I am sorry to see Kim go. I watched her grow up on the show, but kudo’s to her for following her dream. I mean, really, the baby can’t not follow her dreams just for her fans. Hehehehe! I hope the show survives, I’ve watched it for 38 years. I love this show. Will watch it as long as it’s on the air. Good bye, Robin, we will miss you. JUST PLEASE DO NOT PUT PATRICK WITH ELIZABETH!

27. RobinAnna says:

ANyone know what’s going on in the third picture (Robin – in blue robe – w/ Anna)? Is she in the hospital? If so, why?

28. Tyrhonda Pitts says:

Well, I wish they wouldn’t kill her. Maybe they should get a new Robin bcz she has fought so long. Let her hj make her movies then come back Luke they did Maxie.

29. Tyrhonda says:

Damn they go let her die saving Jason? That’s messy.

30. jENNIFER says:

i HAVE WATCHED ROBIN EVER SINCE SHE STARTED AS A CHILD. SHE WILL BE MISSED, AND I HATE TO WATCH HER GO. LOTS OF LUCK WITH YOUR LIFE. IF IT DOESN’T WORK, PLEASE FIND A WAY BACK INTO THE DRAMA:):)

31. Terri Lea says:

I have watched GH for 38 years. I started watching with my mom when I was 12 years old and I LOVE this show. My mom used to watch every soap on tv. There were six I think at one time. GH is the only one that stuck with me. I am shocked…………they killed her.I wasn’t expecting it at all. I don’t read any of the feeds, I just watch the show every day. I am proud that she is following her bliss. Everyone should be as well. I watched her grow up on this show and wish her the best. I am hoping the show goes on to prime time tv. I love this show……it is a part of my childhood. My entire family makes fun of me because I still watch it, but I don’t care. I will watch it as long as it stays on the air.

32. Star says:

I was so sad to see Robin go off the. I’m 60 yrs old so I’ve watched her as a little girl. I will miss her… I wish her well with her career. Robin will get her wish now for Patrick and Elizabeth

33. Lynne says:

I remember Kimberly first coming on the show, she was just a little girl. Back in the days of Robert and Anna, Shawn and Tiffany, Frisco and Felicia….Holly…Faison…Back when GH was great. I’m really hoping they bring some of these characters back to play with this storyline. Sadly, there is little of interest on GH anymore. I record the show and fast forward through most of it. Anna sure caught my attention this week, so glad to see her back. I would second the opinions of some, please do not pair Patrick with Elizabeth. In fact, can we just get rid of Elizabeth? Could we bring Lucky back and give him a life? Maybe Sonny and Anthony could have some big shoot out and kill each other, perhaps take Carly with them? I hate to say it, but I think GH’s days are numbered. ….Remember the fun, exciting story lines filled with mystery and intrigue…

34. Tamara says:

I do remember! I do the same…record and fast forward. I think with charaters like Robin, they could have not killed her off so the door could stay open. Also, I think it is so stupid that poor Mac has to lose Georgie and then Robin, not to mention him having to be sad and alone all these years. Geez, give the man some happiness already! This is crazy! I am tired of the charaters I love just being written off. I think they made a huge mistake by not allowing for her to return. I have no desire to watch anymore. Tomorrow will be the first in 20 years that I will not record…so sad! GH, please don’t kill off anymore favorites! There is always a coma, explosions, Helena, and other ways to kill off people that isn’t final

35. SHAWNA says:

Ilove robin shes a wonderful part of gh and will be greatly missed but this will make alot of other story lines very interesting we will miss robin but at least she got the protocol right b4 her charecter was written off to save jason i jus hate she had to die doing it

36. Katie says:

I don’t understand why they would kill off Robin….I mean, I know she has a family and all and it would be difficult to just write her of but they could have at least tried! It would have given Kimberly a chance to come back in later years. I hate seeing Robin go, but at least she was doing something that she loved. I am glad they didn’t use her HIV to kill her off, that would have been a horrible story line and would not have been the right way to go. Jason Thompson is a phenomenal actor and had me in tears during yesterday’s episode. I can’t wait to see more, even though I know it means the end of Robin forever.

37. Inez Lev says:

I feel awful that they killed off Robin. I have been watching the show for at least 42yrs. I am so sad about this. I remember when she first came on. So adorable. I will miss her. GH is the only soap I ever watched. True blue. Good luck

38. Victoria says:

Because Robin is leaving please let Jason
    I’m really happy to see Hughes and Tristan return. Please keep them as regulars on the show.
    I would certainly hope that Patrick does not become romantically involved too soon after Robin’s departure.I’m really happy to see Hughes and Tristan return

39. Barb says:

I have been watching this show for so long and now I hear it’s cancelled ?! Omg I cannot believe it. What in the world is wrong with ABC? They are just plain stupid. I am going to swear off this network for good. GH lovers are you with me?

40. Val says:

Robin isn’t dead. I just saw her on GH.

• Ruth says:

I’m seeing her right now. Wondering what is happening but glad to know she isn’t really dead. I am 66 years old and have been watching General Hospital since I was a teenager and am very attached to all of the characters. Hope they don’t cancel the show also.

• lucy says:

Yep! Just saw it too! Glad to see she is not dead….. definitely will make the show more interesting. I really liked Lucky with Schivone. Didn’t like that they made her character die off.

• Angelica says:

Well duh stupid ass

41. Angelica says:

I’ve seen Emma play sense she was so little and it heart me seen her missing Robin

42. Angelica says:

I can’t beleave that Sabrina told dr.drake she likes him

43. Vicki says:

I have been watching GH for over 20 yrs. i have never been deficated to anyother soap ad i ‘ve been to GH. HOWEVER, i don’t like the storyline any longer. Michael’s character is totally a 360 degree turn around from 6 months ago. He is now a wimp. His persona as Sony’s son was much better. The relationship between Michael and Kiki is ridiculous. Also, the Franco and Jason personality switches are unbelievable and silly.
    Please restore GH to the great soap it was for so many years.