Gossip Girl Recap: A Dairing Valentine's Day

[Warning: The following contains spoilers from this Monday’s episode of Gossip Girl.]

Did Blair snap out of her Dan denial on last night’s Gossip Girl?

Upon returning from her fake honeymoon, the newly married princess decided to play cupid for Serena and Dan to bring happiness to her friends. Or perhaps to fill the void in her own loveless marriage. Whatever the reason, scheming Blair was back, and she had roped Dorota into her matchmaking plot. But rather than bring S and Lonely Boy together, she unknowingly set herself up for a major kiss.

Gossip Girl Hot Shots: Billy Baldwin Is Back For a [Spoiler Alert]!

“Look at everything we’ve been through together,” she told Dan to convince him of his worthiness – for Serena, of course. “You kept it a secret when I found out I was pregnant. You shielded me from the world so I could deal with my paternity test. And you brought me to a priest in my darkest hour. You wrote Louis’ vows for him, and then you saved me from my own wedding.

“So if you’re that guy with Serena,” she continued, “how could she not love you?”

But was she really talking about her friend? Although executive producer Josh Safran told TVLine that “the question of whether or not [Blair is] in denial” about Dan’s feelings for her would be answered, maybe it’s her own feelings for Humphrey that she’s refusing to confront.

That was all but confirmed when Blair asked Dan to tell her what would make him happy, and he finally went in for the kiss — only this time, she most definitely kissed him back. But since there’s still that pesky dowry problem to deal with, not to mention a little complication named Serena — who witnessed the private moment along with Georgina – Blair put any thoughts of romance out of her head.

Gossip Girl Exclusive: Look Who’s Returning!

“I’m sorry I gave you the wrong impression,” she told Dan before driving off.

Georgina was still claiming victory, however. Dan and Blair are well on their way to having a full-fledged romance, she reasoned, which means they’ll end up doing all of Gossip Girl’s dirty work for her. Meanwhile, S and B are on the outs once again, and Chuck — having seen the photo of Dair’s smooch — numbed his pain by shagging Dan’s book agent. And there’s also that ticking time bomb reveal that Dan sent in that video of Blair’s wedding day confession of love to Chuck.

Gossip Girl fans, what did you think of this week’s episode? Is Blair finally waking up or more confused than ever? Do you think she and Dan will be able to stay away from each other? (The CW’s promo for next week’s episode seemed to scream, “No way!”)

1. Sami says:

They kissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Rebecca says:

I’m sorry, but do the writers really expect me to believe Dan would send the video after everything he’s done for Blair in the past year to try and make her happy?
    Really enjoyed all the Dan and Blair interaction, and the Dan and Serena interaction, despite it feeling forced, I don’t see the romantic chemistry there any more, but I like them being actual friends again.

• Faith says:

Sending the video was totally in character for Dan. He did it for exactly the reason you cite: to try to make Blair happy by freeing her from Louis so she can be with Chuck. Pretty obvious.

• F says:

AGREED. They have made him do all these awesome things and then to turn around and DO THIS? This video plot is killing my otherwise ecstatic DAIR buzz.

• Lovechuckandblair says:

I think that it should’ve been chuck and blair… this episode ruined my valentines day… i was so ffreaking mad! Come on, peoples! Get. Real. Mess blair up with 12304 guys, i really do not care, but make sure its chuck she chooses as endgame! argh!!

• Amelia says:

Chuck and blair still belong together and they always will…
        So please, please, please, PLEASE make sure chair’s the endgame…
        And anyway, chuck has never had a long lasting relationship with anyone but blair…..

3. Ari says:

It kind of looked like Dan actually brushed his hair! I really hope they get him a hair cut and a shave. His 5 o’clock shadow look he’s been rocking all season makes him look gaunt and pasty and sickly. I hope he does hook up with Blair so she’ll groom him a little bit.

4. K says:

They are making Blair into a slut. One week she is completely in love with Chuck, the next back with Louis, then the next all about Dan. I hate this indecisive Blair and her character has been complete crap all season.

• Chrissy says:

Could not agree more! They are killing Blair’s character! She wants to have her cake, eat it, and turn it in for a better one all at the same time. Her and Chuck are meant to be, just put them together! The show isn’t going to last much longer so let us enjoy it. I think Dan is more in love with Blair than she is with him, so please stop these shenanigans.

• Reena says:

Agree what happened to the Blair that wanted to start her career and was so strong last season now she’s rotating between these 3 guys its just getting annoying…also how come the recapper didnt mention anything about Ivy/Fake Charlie and Lola/Real Charlie meeting each other and then Lola/Real Charlie finding out that Ivy/Fake Charlie has been playing her this whole time and then Ivy goes back to the Hamptons and she has been staying with CeCe this whole time I thought that was the biggest jaw dropper of the night.

• Pilar says:

I agree, her character looks like old “slut” Serena besides her new self is a contradiction of everything she believes in, do you see Queen B living in Brooklyn? not to mention that loves don’t just disappear .. she said it herself the day of the accident and even on her own wedding day, she loves Chuck more everyday.

5. roxie says:

“Goodbye GG” trend WW after the episode. I think that say it all.

6. Bethany says:

Finally!!! They are the only reason I have even tuned in for the last year and a half! Cannot wait for next week and more Dair! For some reason, I suspect Rufus sent the GG blast. Crazy, I know.

7. S...yes! says:

What an amazing turn out! Loved it!
    Dan and Blair are incredible. Can’t wait for next week :)

8. Rey says:

FINALLY! I love Blair and Dan together!!!!! Made my day to see them hook up. I hope the writers are not just teasing us, that was the only reason I’ve been still hooked on Gossip Girl! Serena and Dan are great as friends but I’m do over the two of them together!! More Dan and Blair please!

9. dani says:

I’m a little bugged by the video thing but… THEY FREAKING KISSED! Hearts in my eyes.

10. meg says:

THEY FINALLY HAPPENED FOR REAL. OMG I LOVE Dan and Blair. <3 *flails*

11. Natasha says:

Dair is amazing !!!

12. ellie says:

The DB kiss was lovely! Unfortunately I think it’s a case of ‘enjoy it while you can’…

13. Captain says:

FINALLY! Honestly, Dair has been the only reason to tune in since Katie Cassidy left last year. Hopefully they give them a real chance instead of teasing the notion of them together. I really hope they don’t get together, then Blair finds out about the blast and dumps him.

14. Kate says:

Loved this episode!
    Been waiting for Dan and Blair to both realise their feelings together for a while, this has been building up! for this last season ive felt like her moments with Chuck and wanting to go back to him was more about wanting to go back to the past. Love that Serena is not getting what she wants for once, how many times has she taken things and moments away from Blair and well everyone else, lets make this the season of Serena not EVER getting her own way! Charlie and Charlie know each other, ooo what fun, scared and excited to see how this plays out!

15. Keira says:

Amazing Episode! Been a CHAIR fan for so long but couldn’t deny the DAIR chemistry in the last two episodes!
    Time for a change…Loving DAIR!

16. Stephanie says:

While always enjoying their friendship, I’ve been on the fence about the whole Dan/Blair romance. That being said, even I have to admit they were absolutely adorable in this episode. I was a huge fan of Chuck/Blair up until about the 3rd Season, but then I felt like their relationship became a bit played out and kind of destructive (that’s just my opinion – I’m not trying to start any ‘shipping’ wars, so please don’t anyone take offense). I’ll always remember the Chuck/Blair of Seasons 1-3 fondly, but I think I’m officially ready to give Dan/Blair a chance, just to see what happens. I really never thought I’d say that. Go figure!
    On a more important note, (because Gossip Girl really isn’t just about Blair’s love life, despite the trajectory of this past season) I thought this episode was the most enjoyable one yet. Perhaps it was because of all the nostalgia from the good ol’ Constance days, but I found it funny, character driven and actually progressive in terms of moving along all the story lines. I am so glad the Charlie/Ivy thing is finally going somewhere and that they’re also adding Cece into the mix. Plus, Nate was smugly charming, Blair was shamelessly scheming, Serena was all doe-eyed (poor girl – I feel badly for her), Chuck was silently brooding, Dan was cute as a button, and Georgina was happily stirring the pot. All in all, it was great!

17. Amy says:

Yay, Dair!! They are perfect <3

18. ggny says:

there is no way it is that simple as Dan sent the movie…I mean how the hell did he even know about it? Im guessing Dan is covering for someone but who? Eleanor is my best guest

• Bethany says:

I agree ggny. I suspect Rufus, he was acting strange this episode. Also, he would have access to Dan’s phone. I don’t think Dan sent it either. Too easy of an out.

• ggny says:

i change my mind about Eleanor…im guessing Dorota sent it to try and save Blair but after she knew it hurt her more then anything she had Dan cover for her

19. Adrienne says:

The writers will pay for this one…rattings under 1 million…here they come. They made the strongest female character look like a naive and weak little gUrl,you can’t expect us to believe this!!!!! Goodbye GG

• ggny says:

so wait falling for a guy that treats her great(she listed the ways) instead of going back to a guy that sold her,tried to rape her is her being weak? seriously wtf is wrong with people these days…Chair fans are crazy

• Kat says:

Wait, I’m a DB fan all the way, but when did Chuck ever try to rape Blair?? Jenny and Serena in season one, somewhat yes. But Blair?? Idts…

• Ash says:

Blair is fading into the background. The writers are so concerned with satisfying Dair/Chair shippers that they are forgetting what made Blair Waldorf great. Blair needed NO man to make herself complete. She knew what she wanted and went out and got it. Now she’s just kind of bland and can’t make a rational decision to save her life. I miss Blair. I have no problem with Blair wanting to be with Dan or chuck or Louis or whoever else they try to hook her up with, I have a problem with the fact that she is bouncing around with no direction and no decision making skills. She’s just kind of going along with whatever is happening to her.

20. Brandy says:

I love valentines day eps &gg was awesome! Dair, serena seeing dair kiss, the valentines party, dan discovering georgina is gossip girl, ivy &charlie knew each other/meet again, ivys with cecee, blair trying to get derena back together

21. Kelly says:

I haven’t enjoyed an episode of Gossip Girl this much in a long time. I hope they keep it up and don’t pander to certain fans. Just because they’re vocal online doesn’t mean they speak for fans who are not online.

22. Meh says:

I’m calling the end of Dair before the season is over. The thing with the video will kill it. Shame. I think they have become a really nice couple. Here’s to hoping there’s a twist with the blast, like ggny and Bethany suggested.

23. sarah says:

I hate Dan and Blair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.The worst pair of Gossip Girl. This show is disgusting!!!!!!!.

24. Patty says:

I loved yesterday´s episode! I´ve always been a Dan/Serena shipper but I love the relationship between Dan and Blair, they´re so funny! And let´s face it, they are both really good friends to each other, so why not explore something else? I know they wont end up together, so what´s the harm.. and I like that the show is not all about Serena like all the other seasons, but the writers sould give her more plot stories… and also Nate!

25. Carolina says:

Everybody should calm down and enjoy the show. It doesn’t matter who Blair makes out with…All this hate because she’s not with Chuck right now? What about the other characters?? I really liked 5×15. I loved bitchy Georgina, I love the whole Charlie/Ivy plot, the royal minder who apparently has a huge crush on Louis, I loved Chuck getting back to his old bad ways (I really find him sexy like this, not all groomy and boring) and you know what? I really liked Dan and Blair’s kiss, it was refreshing. When I started watching GG all I cared about was CB. But I grew up and that changed. Now I watch the show because I’m interested in all of it, all the storylines, all the characters. So if you really are a fan, just keep watching and be excited for what’s going to happen, it’s so much more fun this way. Don’t harrass the writers, producers, actors or other fans. You never know how it’s going to turn out. Enjoy it and be cool. xoxo (sorry for the long post)

26. Carolina says:

27. Jessica says:

YES! I’m so happy! I love Dan and Blair together, they are so incredibly refreshing. Chuck/Blair are old news to me and all Chuck does is repeatedly hurt Blair over and over. Chair is the classic textbook abusive relationship. Blair keeps going back to him, because she is addicted to the abuse. It’s really sad to see such a strong, independent girl like Blair seem weak and vulnerable to a guy who does nothing but hurt her, control her and dominate her over and over. I’m sick of Chuck and Blair and they have managed to bring this show down. Chair fans are also really destructive, they are very rabid, vocal, annoying and loud. Dair is a much healthier relationship and Blair deserves to be happy after all Chuck has put her through. After all, Blair has said all she wants is pure, simple love. DAIR FTW!

28. Christen says:

I just looked at (and commented on) a thread on facebook and the comments were completely opposite from the ones here!! I am so sick of the Dan/Blair storyline! The chemistry isn’t there, romantically. I do like them as friends, but this episode was just too much! I’ve never actually considered not watching the show anymore..but I can’t watch them together! Poor Chuck : ( CHAIR forever!

29. Marisa says:

I may have flailed a bit when Dan and Blair kissed. I’m excited for their impending romance.

30. Pamela says:

Seriously, Dan and Blair are SOOO GOOD TOGETHER. The kiss was HOT! And I love the words Blair said to him. She has feelings for him too. They are the best couple on GG and I hope the writers give them a chance!!!

31. Manu says:

What an amazing episode!
    It was about time, and I cannot wait for more Dair! We waited long enough, and Blair had to open her eyes already!
    Oh, I don’t think Dan sent the vid, actually! Guess we’ll see.
    Anyway, have a Happy Valentine’s Dair!!

32. BK says:

Great Episode last night! Fun Fact? Chair fans were also trending #BUTTHURT worldwide too! ;)

33. Svenja says:

I loved last night. Dan and Blair are just different. The kiss was so tender and soft. I loved it. More of it please :)

34. O'Brien says:

I’m just glad that Chuck finally hopped on it with someone else. I love Chuck and Blair, but they’ve painted them in this weird corner that has just made Chuck sort of impotent and stolen away his Chuckness, Chuckocity, what have you. I like that they’ve matured him, made him less evil, but the best thing about Chuck is that…well, he’s Chuck Bass. I miss the swaggar. He and Blair are best together when they are at full swaggar, and that’s something they’ve both been lacking greatly for this season, and really, for most of S4, too. I’m on board if these characters can get back to badassery at some point.

35. Hannah says:

Finally!! Best episode ever!! Love DAIR!!!

36. Clara says:

Totally agreed! Dan and Blair are soo adorable! I just LOVE them!!!

37. Natasha says:

Dan and Blair kissing was so amazing, their chemistry is through the roof. I don’t know how the show could ever have her go back to Chuck without it being a major downgrade for her character not to mention the fact that he’s a disgusting excuse for a human being.
    Dan and Blair OTP.

38. Carda says:

Georgina is going way too far *___*
    I mean, good for her she didn’t submit the photo.. but the fact that she’s considering it…
    did she ever think of who that would hurt? that’s not about Blair or Louis but she would ruin the entire Waldorf family, she would ruin the lifes/jobs of everyone working in Eleanor’s company
    that would absolutely go to far if she ever does that, I really hate how destructive she is just for boredom, she is a major BITCH!

• F says:

Agreed I have actually always liked Georgina and found her hilarious but I hate her as Gossip Girl.
      First of all she sucks at it as she admitted herself, and yeah releasing that photo would have ruined Blair’s life. GG creates scandals, she doesn’t ruin lives.
      And she shouldn’t reveal Dan sent the video (if he did) because Gossip Girl NEVER revealed her sources.
      but DAIR <3

39. Day says:

Let’s just go completely overboard and let the hilarity ensue: Chudair. Chuck and Dan decide to split Blair down the middle. And because it means getting everything she wants/needs from the two guys she can’t decide between, Blair completely agrees.

40. Lauren says:

I love chuck and Blair together!! Every new episode I wonder if they are going to get back together And i am disappointed about almost all of them. I dont like Dan and Blair at all! I am now only watching for chuck and Blair. Nate can do anything. Serena can do whatever. Just as long as Dan eventually backs away from Blair I don’t care. Maybe a fling with Dan is what she needs but she needs to end up with chuck!!!!

41. Ella says:

The Dan/Blair kiss this week was easily one of the sexiest, most romantic on the show, EVER. After that scene, I can no longer imagine either character with anyone else, they are absolutely meant to be. Usually shows on the CW pair people up within the first few episodes and then switch them around quicker than square dancers but Dair have been buildng over 5 seasons and are just spectacular. As for the video Dan sent in, I’m torn – on one hand I feel it could ruin everything and why on earth would Dan do anything to hurt Blair after everything he has unconditionally, unselfishly done for her? On the other hand, he rescued her from a loveless, senseless marriage. It’s a minor obstacle – these two are amazing and beautiful and ENDGAME.

42. Tiffany says:

I have to disagree with everyone here saying that Dan selflessly rescued Blair from a loveless marriage. Incase noone has noticed, she is still very much married! I don’t care who she ends up with, and other under circumstances that kiss would have caused some fun drama. But with the constant declarations of undying love for chuck, and the fact that she is married to Louis, and now digging Dan, it’s all too much. Every storyline is like a slap in te face with contradiction. Something’s gotta give, and it should be Blair. Her character has become pathetic and desperate, nothing at all like the queen b we all loved

43. Carol says:

My Christmas wish came true: Dan and Blair…finally

44. terrible plot says:

so disgusting! I can’t watch one more episode, no more! Dan is the cheapest and I feel so bad that S can’t let him go and their back and forth romance is so sick. Now it’s BLAIRE’S TURN? come on!!!