Glee Sneak Peek: New Directions Faces Off Against the Warblers at Regionals

It’s that time of the year again, Gleeks. In Glees Feb. 21 winter finale, Fox’s high-school musical heads to Regionals, and we’ve got your first look at New Directions facing off against the Dalton Academy Warblers for that top prize.

Glee Valentine’s Day First Look: New Triangle, Puck ‘Threesome’, Brittana Action and More!

Scheming Sebastian is back, but the N.D. crew isn’t going down without a fight. They’ve pulled out all the stops, including an all-girl Troubletones number that Vanessa Lengies (aka Sugar) told TVLine is “fierce, and awesome, and strong, and electric.”
Check out the gallery below and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Dave says:

I hate that the Troubletones get their own number while the loyal members of the group get nothing. Atleast they could just be the leads on a song with ND backing them, but it appears it’s just them.

2. Nic says:

It makes no sense that the Troubletones have a number at all.

3. Kendal says:

Agreed that it doesn’t make sense that the Troubletones have a number but I don’t really care – just excited to see another one of their fab performances! Excited for the next few episodes which rarely happens these days!

4. G says:

It makes sense because of the story lines from the first half of the season. The Troubletones were promised a number at competition in order for them to return to New Directions

5. dough says:

Hell yeah Troubletones!

6. Carda says:

are you serious??
    the loyal members of ND that WANT a number (aka Rachel) is leading the damn group since show choir competition #1
    She always gets 1-2 leads (except the one time she was expelled).
    It makes perfect sense that those who fought to get recognition as well, finally get some!

• James says:

No, it doesn’t, especially not like this. They lost at Sectionals, sorry. And they almost caused New Directions to not even appear, they had to wing it with the band guys who were just miming bodies. And TTs still lost. They should shut up and be happy they were let back in at all. And Rachel shouldn’t sing either, because she also almost caused them to lose Sectionals for her own selfish reasons. People who won sectionals should have been featured at Regionals but right. Idiotic show.

• sm says:

I can’t root for the Trouble Tones when they mutinied and left the ND high and dry without a care. Santana scoffed at the ND with rude remarks a reason I don’t like her and Mercedes I’ve lost interest in because she was so rude when and after she left. S1 Mercedes was 1 of my favs. S2 Santana was a fav. S3 neither of them do I care about or their story lines.

• Haley says:

They left because New Directions wasn’t giving them what they needed. It’s not like they took a pledge of allegience or anything.

7. Liz says:

I like that the Troubletones get their own number. The choreography for their performances tends to be better than just normal New Directions since the background members are all actually trained dancers.

8. Nevis says:

Is it just me or are these black (or black/gold) outfits getting a little old?

9. K says:

Um, I’d rather have a Troubletone number than yet another Finchel duet. They’ve had one almost every competition and frankly, I can go without them. I like Cory and he does occasionally sound good on some songs, but I don’t understand why they insist on having him on male lead that often when he just doesn’t have as strong vocals as the others.

• Ashley says:

You are aware that Finn and Rachel and the captains of the New Directions, right? They make all the executive decisions (with Mr. Shue) and they’re responsible for morale and whatnot. It’s perfectly reasonable that they lead at least one song at a competition.
      And besides, Rachel is the best singer.

• TA says:

Um, because Rachel and Finn have always been the main characters, besides Will? And also it’s been pretty obvious that Blaine replaced Finn in number of solos/duets and leadership of the club the first part of this season. What show have you been watching?

10. James says:

It stupid to give Troubletones their own number, backed by random dancers. It makes them a choir within a choir. That is not New Directions then. This is New Directions featuring Troubletones. And sorry but TTs LOST at Sectionals! This is so stupid.

11. gio88 says:

troubletones need their own number because they are the most talented ! Merces and Santana are the best singer in the glee club and brittany is the best dances (female)!

12. Mic says:

I’m so tired of their costumes. Is their budget not big enough for costumes changes?
    I just can’t watch this show anymore.

13. JMic says:

Are you serious? You people are really idiotic! How can you say Troubletones don’t deserve a number when literally a couple months ago you were all raving about how Awesome the Adele Mashup was! Face it, The Troubletones are Good, probably 10x better than ND’s alone.

• sm says:

opinions vary. I disagree. The only singers are Santana, Mercedes and Brittany. Of course the TT would look better because of the back up dancers are pros.

14. ggny says:

this seem familiar to anyone else?

15. Michelle says:

For those of you who think Rachel should not lead a song are CRAZY!!!!! Lea Michele has the best voice on this show!!!
    Not sure why the Troubletones could not perform with the ND members in the background bec it was only 4 of them who are back. Doesnt make since to have those back up dancers…?
    I wonder what they will sing?!?!? So excited bec lets face it… we know they are going to win!

16. Kaykay312 says:

TT are gonna kill it!!! Cant wait!!!

17. Ashley says:

Lea Michele does have a lovely voice but her having “the best voice on the show” is subjective because some enjoy Amber or Naya’s vocals more then Lea’s.
    I love how everyone is saying it makes no sense to have a trouble tones number yet these are the same people who complain about consistancy of the plot.

• James says:

It makes no sense and it made no sense when they were offered this in the Sectionals episode either. It was a very unsatisfactory ending for many people. It was rewarding traitors, who almost cost them everything and then lost to boot. And best voice on the show is not subjective – within canon, it is accepted Rachel is the best female singer. What is subjective is what you or I as viewers think. And it additionally makes no sense to have the TTs – without the girls from ND on back up – have a solo number. If they had at least included Rachel, Tina and Quinn (you know, two of which actually got them there) it would have been less jarring.

18. Emma says:

I actually love their dresses. Over the past few Regionals/Sectionals/Nationals/etc, their dresses have just gotten worse every time.

• raquel says:

I like their dresses.. Everyone has their own taste in terms of clothing.. I don’t understand why everyone makes such a big problem off it.. the gleefandom starts to irritate me
      Sorry, I’m not very good at english, but I hope they understand, because I’m sick of this..-.-

19. Buttons says:

The reason TT gets a number at every competition is because they’re good. Some of you want to dislike them because they defected but you still have to accept that their Adele mashup is by far one of the best Glee performances ever. They got a great following in terms of viewers. I personally love to hear Rachel sing also and if they want to put their best numbers out there a Rachel song and a TT is just that. And at least we know that TT are gonna kill it. The only reason why they had to do th subpar “I will survive” number is because they had to lose to further the Glee story.

• James says:

They had three songs, Candyman sucked, the mash up was so and so with really badly done dancing and the only thing that rocked was the Adele mash up. One out of three is hardly great plus they are a one-note choir – two girls singing all of their songs would get them nowhere on any competition because a choir is not two soloist while the others dance. And they lost because ND were better. Otherwise, do we really need to start talking outside of the story? Why was Santana of all people even in TTs then? No looking outside of canon only when it suits you.

• Wilke says:

Um, just like the New Directions performed a horrible Mash-Up to make the TroubleTones seem like an actual “threat”. The Adele Mash-Up was good because 1) It is ADELE! and 2) Because it was a brilliant Mash-Up. Also, the TT story line didn’t even bring in high viewer ratings. I would’ve preferred Rachel and Mercedes to do a duet for Regionals as I feel the pecking order is: Lea, Amber and then Naya. The TT are just okay, they seem better because of the great backup dancers (*cough* Vocal Adrenaline). And honestly, if Lea could sing urban or R&B songs or had any soulful type voice there would be hardly any need for Mercedes or Santana.

• dan says:

The Troubletones lost because the plot required them to lose. They were still good, and their Adele mash-up was great. It does seem odd to have their back-up dancers show up when Tina, Rachel and Quinn could fill that role, but w/e.
      Now they better not blow it at regionals because then I will definitely never want to see them again.

20. Captain says:

The guys look stupid but the girls look gorgeous. I think this is my favourite competition look for the girls.

21. Marie says:

Besides all the bickering about who should sing, I’d like to point out how beautiful and happy and inspired they all look, and how sad it is that it’s the last regionals for the original group.

22. Maria says:

23. Audrey says:

did anyone notice how their costumes are a combo of their costumes from season 1? Season 1 sectionals Black with Red the girls have a red petticoat underneath their dress. Season 1 Regionals they wore gold dresses with Black details and now they have the opposite Black dresses with gold details :) i thought that was very cool! And hmm no Vocal Adrenaline yet i could’ve swore i read that Jonathan Groff was back for this season as V.A. coach or something maybe we’ll see them at nationals i hope we do!

24. Trouble tones suck says:

I have always thought the trouble tones were overrated. They do not deserve a number at regionals, because they were obnoxious, nasty traitors, IMO. But if they have to have one, then they should not bring in random back-up dancers. The singers should just be featured on a New Directions number. It is stupid and wrong. If those girls arent willing to work and perform with the whole group then they should just dump the back-up dancers.
    The only song they did that was any good was the Adele mash-up, and that is only because it is Adele, the singers wouldn’t have mattered.
    New Directions have more heart and joy when they perform than the Troubletones. I would rather see them perform than these takers.

25. sabrina says:

I can’t believe it, REGIONALS! (Community reference who got it?lol)

• Angela says:

Hehe. “What’s all this talk about regionals?” ;)
      *Sits back and reads the continuing debate on who should/shouldn’t sing*

26. Guy says:

I don’t care what anyone says but i think The Trouble Tones getting a number is wrong even if it was promised to them. They are traitors who left the group behind. Sure they can sing and i gave credit where credit was due with the Adele mashup but if this was the real world it just wouldn’t happen like this. Love her or hate her Rachel is the leader of New Directions and she should be given leads, even despite what happened last year. I think the TT should just go away and they should do a massive backflip next time around and say its not happening.

27. xav says:

I hope there’s not yet another awful cloying Finn/Rachel duet.

28. Alana says:

I love the troubleTones but I am a little confused as to why their also singing with the new directions? Im sure there’s a reason and I can’t wait! Love Mercedes and Santana together. Poor Tina though Ryan Murphy gives her no solo’s or even speaking roles. Either way I can’t wait!

29. Leo says:

Rest assured. If Rachel and Finn doesn’t get anything in Regionals, that’s because they will be featured heavily on Nationals and Showcases.

30. aunt_deen says:

I’m baffled by everyone wondering why the Troubletones get a number. First of all, that was the deal for them to return to sectional: one number per competition. Secondly, they were FANTASTIC. The Adele mash-up? Candyman? Two of the best things the show has ever done. I can’t wait to see them again.

31. Laura says:

Personally I love the troubletones, even thought I love Lea’s voice its nice to change it up a bit!! And Mercedes looks so pretty in that first picture!!

32. Taryn says:

The trouble tones may have been promised a performance each competition, but quinn promised them that, and shes still recovering from when she was just crazy. but anyway, go new directions! Boo warblers (mainly sebastian)!

33. Faith says:

Some people saying that the TT shouldnt get a song because they ‘left’ or are traitors, well the same could be said for both Rachel and Finn. They have both left ND – Rachel because she felt that she wasnt being valued(fair enough) and Finn cos of the whole baby drama.
    They both came back and have been leads. I do agree with some that say they dont want another Finchel duet. Everytime they lead, they lose.
    People like some characters and dislike others. I understand why people are upset about the TT getting a song- I do agree that the other ND girls could have been backup, however they were promised a song, that I think the other ND members agreed to, to get the team back together.

34. Eli says:

I hate this so much. TT could lead a number, and that´s fine but.. All the other girls that have nothing to do with ND? They´re cheerios, they´re certainly out of place there.

35. Anna says:

I don’t understand why you guys are making such a big deal out of this. The deal was that TT would get their chance to shine in competition which is more than fair, Rachel leads at competition because they all know she is talented and can handle the pressure of performing well in competition and the other girls prefer just singing for lessons, and let’s remember that ND is supposed to be an under-budgeted glee club who doesn’t have the funds to buy big show-stopping outfits and they’ve always had a black and whatever other color theme (hello, everyone who has been complaining about consistency). At any rate I am sised for this episode and if you aren’t or don’t watch the show any more don’t comment.

36. Kelsey says:

I like Santana, Brittany, and Mercedes. They are great singers. I understand why they have a “TT number” that was part of the “deal”. This is my thing, Mr. Ryan Murphy, this is the NEW DIRECTIONS. At least have THEM back up mercedes, brittany, and santana. I mean, really… random backup singers and dancers.. As for Finchel, I like their duets and they are captains (why they get the duets) and they kill every performance. Everyone gives LM a hard time, people she was a star before glee… as in Broadway. The girl can sing. Everyone on the show can sing.. but the only person who comes close to Lea in experience and talent and range, ect.. is Amber Riley (Mercedes).

37. The least expensive method to give your kitchen a facelift
    is to buy some new accessories for example storage jars, utensils,
    tea towels etc. These tips can transform your home without requiring a second mortgage to pay for them and if you’re keen on DIY then you definitely might even be able to carry out some of the work yourself and save much more money. This is especially valid of accents which can be hung on walls.