Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS: LA, Person of Interest, House, Big Bang, White Collar and More

What will push NCIS: Los Angeles‘ Kensi to the limit? What nunsense is House‘s Chase up to? When will The Walking Dead‘s big secret be revealed? Read on for those scoops, plus other teases from TV’s hottest shows.

NCIS: Los Angeles | As we’ve previously teased, the hit CBS drama soon will reveal why Kensi joined NCIS – “and it’s a very surprising reason, and it’s a very dangerous reason,” show boss Shane Brennan tells me. And while the backstory will unspool over back-to-back episodes, “It takes place in a very short space of time, as Kensi is pushed to the limit while Deeks is running behind, trying to stop her from destroying the things that she cares about.” Brennan also notes that the catalyst for this story was embedded within Kensi’s Hawaii Five-0 crossover last fall: “Something happened while she was there. That’s when the fuse was lit.”

Person of Interest | Dipping into the reader mailbag, Zach writes: “Person of Interest has really been on a roll as of late. Do you have any info or scoopage about upcoming episodes?” As a matter of fact, I can tell you that the very next episode, airing Feb. 16, will put one of the “team” members in jeopardy: As a direct result of helping Reese and Finch with their latest mission, Fusco (played by Kevin Chapman) will end up on the wrong end of a gun, ready to meet his Maker.

House | One ray of light for those sad to see Fox’s House end in May is that we’ll finally get a Chase-centric episode à la past hours that have focused on Cuddy or Wilson. And that pleases Jesse Spencer. “I’ve been extremely enamored with how smart, incredible and worthwhile this show is — it’s crossed a lot of different boundaries,” notes the actor. “And to finally have an episode which literally follows me around is absolutely terrifying, but I was extremely grateful to have the opportunity to spread my wings.” Specifically, Chase, while recuperating from last week’s near-paralysis, will treat a nun — “and not just any old nun, but a cloistered nun,” Spencer reports. “That means she has like no human contact, does silent prayer 12 hours a day….” And while promos suggest the two get surprisingly close in an (ahem) almost Biblical sense, they will also bond in another. “Chase went to a seminary when he was younger, so a lot of that stuff is brought up.”

The Walking Dead | While speaking with executive producer Gale Anne Hurd about the midseason premiere airing this Sunday, I was sure to dig up that old chestnut about the freshman season-ending “whisper” between Jenner, the CDC scientist, and Rick. Of course, many had speculated at the time that Rick had learned that wife Lori was pregnant – but Hurd now is willing to rule out that one theory, seeing as Rick wouldn’t have been surprised to get the “official” word a few episodes back. As for when we’ll learn what was disclosed by Jenner, Hurd promises viewers, “I don’t think your wait is too long.”

White Collar | Did anyone else get an unsettling vibe this week when Kramer (played by Beau Bridges) shared with Diana his concerns about the NYC FBI office possibly being complicit with Neal’s sketchy endeavors? Is he merely looking to do right, or is he perhaps also operating off an agenda? “Both,” answers Tim DeKay. “But it’s extremely well-written in that his agenda is not Machiavellian. He’s not being evil with it, and you’ll understand where he’s coming from.” Nonetheless, Peter would be wise to be very judicious in deciding whether to commute Caffrey’s sentence. As seen in the next episode, which DeKay directed, “Peter will realize his decision is going to not just decide Neal’s fate but possibly also decide his own.”

Sitcom Scoops! | Ever wonder where The Big Bang Theory‘s Sheldon gets his very “special” hairstyle? You soon will find out when we meet his the guy who cuts his hair — or, much to Sheldon’s great horror, the guy’s nephew, who’s filling in for his regular barber…. It looks like the 2 Broke Girls‘ savings is due for a setback, when it falls upon Caroline to pony up the money needed to keep her incarcerated father’s lawyer around long enough for her to give her deposition…. As we first told you, Megan Mullally has joined Fox’s Breaking In for Season 2 as Oz’s boss – though the team will get a bit of a bait-and-switch when she first shows up. Alphonso McAuley, who plays Cash, tells me that Contra’s new owner will first pass herself off as just a receptionist, as she gathers intel on her underlings.

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around!

Comments (20)

• I don’t see the POI twist ending well for Fuscoe (or Chapman), since now that Taraji Henson is part of the gang he’s officially a redundant character. So funny: I watched the first episodes and always said when he came on, “look, there’s the character that gets written off before the end of the first season.”

Comment by John – February 10, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope this isn’t true. I love Fusco’s sleazy edge. He’ll go places and do things like the surveillance on Finch and planting evidence that Carter wouldn’t do.

Comment by Tikkanen – February 10, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Reece intimidates/deals with Fusco in a way he would not even consider with Carter. Him saying they were ‘friends’ last night cracked me up. He had a hard time getting the words out.

Comment by Renee – February 10, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t have a clue who that is; I’ve seen every episode, but don’t recall that name.
      Also, what else is new about “White Collar” being “extremely well-written” (outside of stretching that “commutation” bit too thin over too long)?

Comment by TJ. Church – February 10, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fusco is the NYPD detective that was dirty in the beginning, but now works for the team, originally under threat of blackmail. Reese sarcastically calls him by his first name “Lionel”.

Comment by Tikkanen – February 10, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know the only thing I’m watching this week
    [H]ouse
    And As A true Housefan, I’m gonna be glue to my tv for the 11 episode remaining(sadly!)of the last season….
    Don’t care about the others shows…on the same night….

Comment by Jules – February 10, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Deto! Love House, so sad to see it end. :(
      Love Chase and I’m glad we can follow his POV. Hope for lots of House and Chase interactions. Jesse’s great!

Comment by HouseWife – February 10, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see Jesse Spencer’s “Chase” episode on House!!!

Comment by Mia – February 10, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if they’re going to go the “everyone who dies becomes a zombie” route in the show?

Comment by Emily – February 10, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be absolutely watching the “Chase” episode on House! Jesse Spencer’s performance in “Nobody’s Fault” last week was awesome and I bet he does a great job with “Chase”. Hope he lands some cool movies or tv roles after House. (Plus, he’s incredibly handsome!!)

Comment by kim – February 10, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad for Fusco (got to liking him) but with him getting so little airtime and Carter now assisting Reese and Finch I can see his character leaving in one form or another (it can also be a red herring and he stays). At least Reese gave him a chance instead of knocking him off in the beginning.

Comment by Barb – February 10, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure it’s already been mentioned (by Sheldon) in one episode that Sheldon get’s his hair cut at SuperCuts. Of course, he could have changed his mind since then…

Comment by Boomer – February 10, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as I love TBBT I hate the continuity errors. Sheldon used to love the hospital. He wanted to have his brain waves measured. He LOVED Leonard’s doctor girlfriend because she was their McCoy. Then he was freaked out by germs in the hospital? Now he passes out at the sight of his own blood? I don’t think so.
      Supercuts to NOT would be just one more of these continuity holes. Do the writers honestly think we don’t remember?

Comment by Diane – February 10, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very intrigued by Kensi’s background on NCIS: LA… It sounds good! Want to know why she joined NCIS LA and what she have done while she was in Hawaii. Can’t wait for those episodes!

Comment by alesig – February 10, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse Spencer is an outstanding actor and the subtlety of his performance in ‘Nobody’s Doubt’ blew me away. That was the best episode of House in years and I’m anxiously awaiting next weeks ‘Chase’. I’m especially happy to see that Chase’s faith will finally be addressed again.

Comment by Steph – February 10, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That guy can convey all sorts of emotions with his eyes, without even saying a word. That scene, in “Nobody’s Fault”, where Chase was being interviewed by Cofield was very impressive. It would be awesome if he ends up with an Emmy, Golden Globe or SAG nomination for his work this season – not holding my breath, though. Jesse’s an asset to the show, so sad that he was squandered for a number of seasons – glad the producers finally got a clue before it was too late.

Comment by Aussie girl – February 10, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoy Jesse Spencer in [H]OUSE and it’s about time he got more screentime.
    I am very sad that [H]OUSE is ending. I LOVE HUGH LAURIE and will miss him very much.
    I hope and pray that CUDDY does NOT come back on the show.
    NO CUDDY!!!

Comment by Nancy – February 10, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • P.S. Chase’s patient in CHASE episode is NOT a nun yet as she did not take her final vows.

Comment by Nancy – February 10, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad that Breaking In is back and it brought Megan Mullally with it!!!

Comment by tvfruitcake – February 12, 2012 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post