American Idol: What Did You Think of Day 2 of Hollywood Week?

Heejun Han Phillip Phillips Cowboy American Idol Hollywood Week “That’s it? Why wasn’t there even a single performance?” –Polly Slezak, my mother and current houseguest, at the close of Thursday night’s American Idol telecast

Alas, Mom, there is no Santa Claus. And also, there is no singing — at least on Day 2 of Season 11 Hollywood Week.

UPDATE: American Idol Full Episode Recap: The Day the Music Died

Indeed, over the course of the one-hour episode, we saw vomiting, weeping, bickering, and begging. We even saw raging against the devil. But what we didn’t see were any of the group-round performances from the 185 contestants who survived the introductory a capella rounds from Hell Week. It’s hard to understand how America’s long-standing, wildly popular reality singing competition could forget its central ingredient — I mean, would Pizza Hut forget the crust? Would Sunoco run out of gasoline? — but that’s what happened. Oh, and Symone Black survived her cliffhanger collapse, even asking if she’d made it through to the next stage of the competition before heading to the emergency room. Cue sad trombone?

As for me, I’m gonna get working on a full episode recap that will post Friday morning right here at TVLine. [UPDATE: Full recap is now live!] Until then, hit the comments and release your rage, shock, and disappointment. And for all my Idol news, views, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Elizabeth says:

I didn’t like this episode. American Idol should scrap the group drama round if it wants to stay on top.
    Slezak, I heart you!

• Annie says:

They should show the group drama, but it needs to be balanced with actual singing.

• says:

Exactly. This was just a waste of an episode. They should have sprinkled in a few performances with the drama stuff. Only having this made this show look cheap. I know it’s the 11th season but this was ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that in the beginning of the show when he was trying to pump up the drama Ryan actually said that “the first casualty of the night was Symone”, as we see her lying there with medics rushing to her side. Pretty disgusting episode in a lot of ways tonight. They used a 16 year old girl’s scary fall to try to boost their ratings. Not good Idol. Not good at all.

• Saulo says:

I loved this Big Brother episode.
          Wait a minute, what was Ryan Seacrest doing there? Where’s Julie Chen? What’s wrong with the Big Brother house? It looks like a hotel…
          Some talented people who apparently didn’t go to Hollywood:
          Gabi Carrubba (Nygel’s fan)
          The Dixons
          Samantha Novaceck (or her planking “girlfriend”)
          Aubree Dieckmeyer (America’s Next Top Idol)
          Shelby Twenten (who is bipolar)
          Haley Smith(Tell Me Something Good)
          Cortez Shaw (Someone Like You)
          Brittany Zica (who thinks she is Jess from New Girl)
          Reis Kloeckener (the Glee guy)
          Ashley Robles (I Will Always Love You)
          Who cares about “The Betties”? Or that cop? She is just as annoying as former contestant Tatiana Nicole del Toro. Do you guys remember her laugh?
          I think this episode was a big joke. The only good things about tonight were Amy’s charisma and Heejun’s sense of humour.

• Geovanni says:

What is your basis of who didn’t make it to Hollywood? I’m pretty sure I saw Gabi for a few seconds in between all of the dramatic scenes.

• milly says:

★★★★★★ ;) For seeking Interr-acial Love ,
            _ β / l / α / c / k / w / h / i / t / е / P / l / a / n / e /t..С/ ò /M __ie the best choice, it’s where to- me-et bla-ck, whit-e, gorgeous, bea-utiful for rom-ance and- enduring relation-ship-s ! – it’s the best place for s’eeking int’erracial lo-ve. which gives you a chance to make your life better and open opportunities for you to me-et the at’tractive s’ingles and treat you like a king or Queen. Maybe you wanna check it out or tell your frie-nds.

• Saulo says:

I’m being ironic and complaining about the fact that there are awesome singers who went to Hollywood but we haven’t seen them yet.
            I’m not talking about “few seconds” and all that (crap) drama, I’m talking about a show-stopping, worth-watching performance!

• SallyinChicago says:

They should keep Heejun because he was the comic relief. As for not having enough singing….I don’t care about the singing until it gets down to the final 40. THAT’s when it really matters. And as for people getting sick. That was pretty dramatic, and I hope they had a medic on duty.

2. Deb says:

I’d rather hear the contestants sing than watch the drama. I want to hear for myself who wowed and who didn’t and not have AI producers decide for me.
    Don’t these kids realize the audience is already forming opinions about them? Bad attitudes will kill you on this show.

• Owen says:

Well, this really wasn’t that different from other Hollywood Weeks, they just USED to be two hour episodes, the first usually taken up with the histrionics, and the second with the triumphs and train wrecks of the actual group performances. This time the second hour is NEXT week.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Wow. “Never wish for what you want, or you will surely get it”.

• susela says:

They should have arranged their scheduling so that the group rounds were done on back-to-back nights. It seems so silly to wait an entire week for “The Bettys” to start singing.

3. katherine says:

Close your eyes. Feel the recappers’ collective rage.

4. Neetsiethis says:

After watching some of the superb performances on The Voice, American Idol is looking pretty lame…

5. Annie says:

Good luck Michael, it’s going to be hard to recap an episode, where nothing happened.
    Someone please tell the American Idol people that sometimes two hour episodes are good, and needed, and that their central purpose is to show young and talented people SINGING. They’ve forgotten that part over the years, but tonight they went crazy with it.

6. BW says:

I wasted a half hour of my life and I want it back before giving up on tonight’s episode. Everybody has boring elements that make up part of their job. Why waste precious air time and subject the viewer… when all we want is to be taken away for 1 hour from our boring lives? Not add to it!

7. Rosemary says:

What a waste of my time. After tonite’s episode I was beginning to feel sick.

8. Pat says:

Don’t even bother with the recap Slezak, nothing happened.
    WORST EPISODE EVER. An hour of filler? Seriously?

• Amber says:

Agreed. That honestly was the worst episode ever. No singing and 70% of the episode was spent recapping what happened in the other 30%. Seriously how many times did they have to show that girl puking in a plastic bag. Once was too much.

9. Christina says:

Don’t waste you time with a recap Michael since nothing happened. Seriously one of the worst hours Idol has put together.

10. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Okay, guys, here’s what went down. This episode was supposed to be two hours long; first hour dram, second hour singing. However, because they scrapped one of the audition episodes, they needed to stretch this one out over two show slots to make up for it. I know, I was disappointed, too, but just think of how great it will be when we hear them next week after the wait!
    (Also, I never read spoilers in advance before, but this season I did, and since I already know who’s in the Top 24, these episodes aren’t much fun and I wait in eager anticipation for the live rounds.)

• Ben says:

Thanks for the explanation. I’m glad they cut out one audition episode… they tried to stretch it out too much this year. Sad to have an entire episode of no singing though. Which they had found time to recut the edit.

• susela says:

Well, they should have just cut two audition episodes. The auditions went on waaaay too long.

11. Niki says:

They cut my favorite audition – Ethan Jones goes home and they don’t even have the courtesy to show his performance – stupid idol.

12. kira says:

13. Yee Haw says:

I remember when people used to watch this show! It was around this time last year they introduced us to that no talent hick Scotty. That was the beginning of the end of American Idol.

14. jonathon says:

this is the type of episode that makes American Idol show how far superior it is over other newer singing shows like The voice. that show might make it to this stage in a few more years but idol is still running strong 11 seasons in and the singing is essential when we get to the final 10-12 singers but the drama and the background stories make you feel a part of these groups and root for some contestants while hating others. Nothing compares to it. yes i wish there was some singing but idol isn’t showing 2 hours a day anymore, they got one hour to put the best into it and with that i thought they really got a great deal in as far as showing what type of people we have in season 11. American Idol still rocks!

• Elise says:

Other shows may lack the drama, but they at least show some SINGING. Randy always emphasizes that this is a singing competition, so clearly a critical element was missing tonight.

15. Danielle Notaro says:

Day 2 was a complete waste of my time.

16. Lindsay says:

The only thing worth mentioning in this episode is that HeeJun seriously gets more adorable every time I see him.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Adorable???? Were we watching the same program? Because I’m going to go out on a limb here and say there aren’t TWO contestants named “HeeJun”, one of which was adorable. And WTH was he doing wearing a hood – indoors????
      Although, let me say this – the best part of the program involved HeeJun when they started playing the theme from “The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly”, because that pretty much summed it up for me.

17. Jamie says:

What a waste of an hour!

18. marie says:

Oh please.
    I think that’s all I have to say about THAT.

19. Scarlett says:

After 10 full seasons they still can’t figure out how to get people into groups of 4 or 5 singers in a less mindless fashion? Something as simple as telling the formed groups to move along to the rehearsal space ASAP would prevent the rest of the unmatched people from having to wander the ocean of bodies in the auditorium crying out in despair “I need a group!” “Anyone want to sing Joy to the World?” “Do you need someone from Day 1?” “HELP ME!” I mean, c’mon! Ever heard of a board with signup sheets???

20. Kathy says:

Worst. Episode. EVER. Don’t even bother writing a recap. And someone should tell the producers that an hour of watching people vomit, cry, fight, and pass kidney stones has absolutely no entertainment value.

21. Jake says:

Exactly, can’t wait for the two hour episodes, they aren’t even showing all the singers

22. Becky says:

I have to admit that half-way through this episode I started getting the old Idol Itch – couldn’t wait to hear the stars emerge. WHAT??? It’s OVER? No stars emerging? And then wasn’t it a bit of a spoiler to see next week’s preview of several singers making it past the group sing on to the single sing? C’mon, man.

23. Vonya says:

What a waste. I hated it. American Idol need to step up their game. That was a hour I could have checked out someting esle on tne tube. So far this season is truly boring. The Xfactor was more exciting.

24. Saulo says:

I loved it. I think this is the best episode they’ve done so far.
    Can’t wait to see Heejun and his group performing.

• Mia says:

I think you and me are the only people who feel that way. I was so freaking entertained the entire episode! And Heejun is just an awesome person. Slezak! If he’s eliminated, get him on Idology! (…please)

25. darcy's evil twin says:

Mr. Slezak – take your mom out for a nice lunch and shopping instead of writing a recap. Here, I’ll save you some time and do it for you: “There was more medical information in that show than there was music. Did you know you can faint if you get dehydrated? If you happen to be dehydrated do NOT stand near the edge of a stage. Not only that but performing in groups can give you the flu, especially if you live in a tent and you’re not accustomed to being indoors. Maybe that’s why HeeJun kept his hood on – so he didn’t catch cold. Group performances also cause mass vomiting and possibly even kidney stones. This episode was the longest hour in Idol history. It was like a bad combination of “ER” with the drama and trauma of “House” tossed in for good measure, along with the worst parts of “Glee”, a little bit of Mama Rose from “Gypsy”, and I swear I saw scenes that were reminiscent of high school drill team camp – minus the pom-poms”.

26. darcy's evil twin says:

Oh, and how could I forget that annoying cop? What was so special about her?

27. SallyinChicago says:

I can’t believe the whiners on this board — “waste of my time” — then why don’t you turn it off? You folk are the same ones who watch Jersey short so — GO AWAY and whine somewhere else.
    It was an engaging show. We saw the stresses they go through. We saw the pressure build. We have plenty of weeks to see “singing”….about 20 weeks of singing coming up.

28. Miranda says:

It should have been a 2 hour show, with the second hour showing some of the group performances. Nigel is really botching this season so far. He should have realized there would be a terrible reaction to an episode with no singing. :/

29. Tahoe Mike says:

This was Idol raised to its highest art. For years of result shows they have tried to cram more and more filler in, with less and less content. Tonight they reached Idol perfection; all filler and no content. They even managed to do it with no group medley, and no Ford video. Somebody got their merit badge for this one.

30. JimmyJ says:

Full episode recap? Recap of what??????

31. Mayra says:

I thought there was a poll! fot the first time, I would gladly give it an F! Awful episode. If I wanted drama only I would be watching a thousand others things on tv. waste of time, that one.

32. jill says:

I really liked Hayley Smith. I think she would have gone really far if not have possibly won. I would love to hear her sing again.