House to Conclude Eight-Year Run in May

House Ending May 2012It’s official: House is checking out.
Calling it a creative decision made by the show’s producers, Fox announced Wednesday that the Hugh Laurie-fronted medical drama will conclude its eight-year run in May.
The early announcement ensures that series creator David Shore will get his wish to give the show a fitting farewell. “I want to do [the ending] right,” he told TVLine over the summer.

House Swan Song Scoop: 3 Things You Need to Know About The Series Finale (and Beyond)

Below is a joint statement from Laurie, Shore and fellow exec producer Katie Jacobs:

After much deliberation, the producers of House M.D. have decided that this season of the show, the 8th, should be the last. By April this year they will have completed 177 episodes, which is about 175 more than anyone expected back in 2004.
The decision to end the show now, or ever, is a painful one, as it risks putting asunder hundreds of close friendships that have developed over the last eight years – but also because the show itself has been a source of great pride to everyone involved.
Since it began, House has aspired to offer a coherent and satisfying world in which everlasting human questions of ethics and emotion, logic and truth, could be examined, played out, and occasionally answered. This sounds like fancy talk, but it really isn’t. House has, in its time, intrigued audiences around the world in vast numbers, and has shown that there is a strong appetite for television drama that relies on more than prettiness or gun play.
But now that time is drawing to a close.  The producers have always imagined House as an enigmatic creature;  he should never be the last one to leave the party.  How much better to disappear before the music stops, while there is still some promise and mystique in the air.
The producers can never sufficiently express their gratitude to the hundreds of dedicated artists and technicians who have given so generously of their energy and talent to make House the show it has been – and perhaps will continue to be for some time, on one cable network or another.
The makers of House would also like to thank Fox Broadcasting and Universal Television for supporting the show with patience, imagination and large quantities of good taste.  The Studio-As-Evil-Adversary is one of the many clichés that House has managed to avoid, and for that the cast and crew are deeply grateful.
Lastly, the audience:  some have come and some have gone, obviously. This is to be expected in the life of any show. But over the course of the last eight years, the producers of House have felt immensely honored to be the subject of such close attention by an intelligent, discriminating, humane and thoughtful – not to mention numerous – audience.  Even the show’s detractors have been flattering in their way.  Making the show has felt like a lively and passionate discussion about as many different subjects as could possibly be raised in 177 hours.  The devotion and generosity of our viewers has been marvelous to behold.
So, finally, everyone at House will bid farewell to the audience and to each other with more than a few tears, but also with a deep feeling of gratitude for the grand adventure they have been privileged to enjoy for the last eight years.  If the show lives on somewhere, with somebody, as a fond memory, then that is a precious feat, of which we will always be proud.
Everybody Lies.

Here’s Fox president Kevin Reilly’s statement:

While it’s with much regret, and a lump in our throats, we respect the decision Hugh, David and Katie have made. A true original, on the page and amazingly brought to life by Hugh Laurie, there is only one Dr. House. For eight seasons, the entire House team has given us – and fans around the world – some of the most compelling characters and affecting stories ever seen on television. They have been creatively tenacious and collaborative throughout this incredible run, and they are amongst the most superior talents in the business. For all the above, we wholeheartedly thank them, and the fans who have supported the show.

Cast members present and past were quick to comment on the news via Twitter, with Jesse Spencer saying a simple, “Fare thee well, House,” and Olivia Wilde calling it “the end of an era. Shows like that don’t happen, well, ever. I’m honored to have been a part of such a brilliant story.” (Will Wilde return as Thirteen? Read our follow-up story here.)
TVLine’s Renewal/Cancellation Cheat Sheet has been updated to reflect House‘s passing.
Hit the comments with your eulogies as well as an answer to this question: Which House alum do you most want to see return before Princeton-Plainsboro closes its doors for good?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News

1. Mike says:

thank god.

• Saint Alicia says:

yes, Yes, YES. Best news of the season! So elated I could walk on air. :)
      Congratulations on officially running the show into the ground, David Shore. You and your lapdog (government name: Greg Yaitanes) should be proud.

• Brendan says:

Question: How was it hurting you that it was still on the air?
      Plenty of people are still watching and enjoying it, and you can very easily not watch it…

• Roxane says:

I’m with you.I watched House for seven seasons.This last season,I only watched about 5 episodes yet it never crossed my mind to start a Get House Cancelled campaign.I simply stopped watching.How hard can it possibly be to simply not watch instead of spending your time reading articles about the show or watching it just so you can criticize it? Without a doubt, House was an amazing show, high quality actors,story-lines,drama and everything else you can think of.I for one am grateful that I had the opportunity to watch such a show.Farewell House :)

• Sofia says:

because they’re complete idiots, there’s no way they could’ve understood the show.

• Dee says:

Alum I’d most likely to see back: DORIS EGAN
      She knows how to write House, House/Wilson, and a decent patient story too.

• Tarc says:

Agreed – finally. The show bottomed out at the end of the third season. With all the interesting new pilots, I’d prefer to see them have a better chance (or, heck, give Terra Nova another 13 episodes).

• cfmmusicscene says:

House is an abusive bully and a jerk. What started out with quirky became the total focus of the show. He was just so mean and so far out of line that I stopped watching. I got the diagnosis a couple of times before he did and a.) I didn’t almost kill anyone in the process b). I didn’t bully or verbally abuse anyone.

2. Jade says:

Sad face

• Esaul says:

I jumped into this season randomly. I don’t like Charylene Yi on House. She is just not the right fit. If you asked me from the few episodes I’ve seen this season if House should be cancelled, I would’ve said yes. Watching last Monday’s, I would say no. That was a refreshing, and probably one of their best episodes to date.

3. Sparky says:

A year to two too late, but better late than never…
    …and better to realize it than beat a dead horse (*cough*greysanatomy*cough)

• Goku says:

Grey’s Anatomy has actually one of its best seasons now. I’d give it at least 2 more seasons.

• Ben says:

I’d only give it as many seasons as Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo are willing to give it… any season without one or both of them is one too many.

• AnnClau says:

I totally agree about Ellen Pompeo. She’s the heart of the show. And true, Grey’s is having a great season right now, makes me want it to continue for another one.

• sara says:

five years to two too late

• lalez says:

whats up with the whole to two too late ?
        if you don´t know which word to use thats sad
        and it doesn´t have a point to use all three
        (i know they all sound alike)
        same goes for @Sparky (or are you the same person)

4. Snapy says:

Ok, Olivia Wilde. Your move.

5. carlie says:

can’t say I’m surprised. But wishing all the cast and crew best luck for the future!

6. Kristen says:

So shall I begin the ‘GET LISA EDELSTEIN BACK FOR THE FINALE’ chant?
    All kidding aside though, 8 years is a great run.

• Mandy says:

yes, we should. it’s only fitting they bring cuddy back for the last bit!

• hope you read this, tptb says:

The only logical way to give fans closure is to bring Cuddy back, romance or not.

• Bel says:

Yes please bring Cuddy / Lisa Edelstein back for the finale. Cuddy is missed and the story between House and Cuddy deserves some proper closure after 8 years.
      I’m sorry to hear this news but based on this season I think this is the right time to end the series. Thanks to Hugh Laurie and the cast (especially LE and RSL and JS) for all he stellar performances over the years.
      Hey could they also bring Doris Egan back to co-write the finale with David Shore? That would be something!

• tvfan says:

Yes! I want to see her again.

7. Rebecca Parker says:

Apologies to all the House fans, but this news makes me giddy because it gives me more hope for Fringe.

• Todd says:

I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one. If, and that’s a big if, Fringe gets one more season, it will be its last.
      As much as I enjoy House, it really is time for it to go.

• Angie says:

Thats the same thing I was thinking too!! I have watched House from the beginning and have never missed and episode so I am sad to hear that it will be over. I think they should move Fringe to House’s timeslot to get it off of Friday’s and I think it will have many more seasons!

• Nicole says:

Fringe and Alcatraz back to back on Mondays would be awesome but highly unlikely. I’m just hoping that Fringe gets a final 5th season to wrap the show up well, even if it is on Fridays. Fringe is easily the best show on TV right now.

• CAM says:

I love that you apologized first to those of us who are House fans, rather than just attacking the show. Good luck on a Fringe renewal.

• Alex says:

Oh I so hope that Fringe is given a final season…if it gets a final 13 episodes and ends on 100, that would be perfect.

• lalez says:

i actually think if they renew it they are going to make it exactly 13 episodes because of syndication. That brings in a lot of money just look up which shows air in reruns all the time.

• Ben says:

I agree with this sentiment, and would add that I’m very glad House is ending on its own terms. It means that to me, I will never consider it to have been cancelled (even if it would have been this year). To me there is a huge difference between ending on your own terms and getting the can.

• majamababe says:

Agree.

• Oh, Grow Up says:

News Flash: House WAS cancelled. Do you really think David Shore wanted to pull the plug on his money machine? No way, dude. FOX put this turkey out of its misery. Shore and his playmates are just trying to put a dignified face on it. But this show definitely is NOT going out on top.

• J. Norman says:

I doubt that House was summarily canceled.
          This has more to do with Hugh Laurie wanting to opt out.

Now if you want to get into reasons why Laurie wants out, then you might have a reasonable argument that he does not like:
          a) The way the story line has played out

b) How the character of House himself has evolved from a troubled but likeable rogue or even crusader (of sorts) into:
          c) An unsympathetic, bitter asswipe of his own making
          It has been reported that Laurie wants to pursue some musical opportunities – maybe along the lines of what John Tesh has done.
          If so, good for him.
          Except for the most star struck fans, however, there can be no doubt that the story line of the past year (season 7) hastened the demise of this show.

• Kat says:

We have no reason to believe that any of that is true. If anything, the man is tired of the 12 hour primetime days he’s been doing for eight years. But, it has been cited as a ‘creative decision,’ most likely to prevent the show from being run into the ground, and we can’t assume that Laurie had anything to do with it.
            In any case, he probably doesn’t really care about the story line (or at least not enough to resign in protest).

• Ben says:

Every show is cancelled. I think you missed my point entirely.

• Kat says:

I hardly think so. It’s still their most watched show, and FOX certainly doesn’t care about the quality if it’s the ‘money machine’ you say it is. Shore does care about the creative aspects, though, and it’s easily imaginable that he wanted it to go out on his terms, so that it wasn’t simply ended. They’ve long been hinting that season eight was going to be the last.

• Drew says:

I didn’t want to be the one to say it, but… yeah! Now we need Alcatraz to get canned, and anything else they’re willing to toss would be great too. Fox isn’t really swimming in hour-longs that I love, so I won’t be picky.

• GK says:

I was thinking the same thing! One show less to compete for Fringe. I need one more, just one more season of Fringe. A pairing of Alcatraz and Fringe won’t be happening. EVER.
      As much as I loved House, I stopped watching halfway through last season. Still, I have immense respect for the amazing Hugh Laurie and the cast. I hope they bring back Jennifer Morrison (OUAT), who was the one who made me watch House in the first place.

8. Dani says:

It’s absolutely the right call. Little bit sad even though I’ve been everything from disgusted to offended with it over the past few months, but this is much better than letting it limp on into a 9th season.

9. dz8 says:

2 requests.
    1. it ends playing you can’t always get what you want.
    2. all the ladies: edelstein, wilde, and morrison return for the finale/funeral (i mean lets be real, that is how it’s going to end) no matter how improbable that is. with all of their projects they have going on. but i can hope can’t i?

10. katie says:

Right call. I will miss Hugh Laurie terribly, though.

11. nonabgo says:

:((((((((((((((
    Best medical show there ever was.

12. Amy says:

Its kinda sad but it was about time.

13. Alex says:

First thought: More hope for Fringe!

14. Kate says:

I’m so upset, best show ever. I just can’t imagine TV without House. Hugh Laurie is the most talented actor around!

• rachel says:

and i am BEYOND irritated that he’s yet to win the dang Emmy for this role. seriously, premium cable ain’t all that great.

• Amy says:

I so agree I could just cry that it’s going to be over!!! I can’t believe all the bad things I have read on here if you actually hate the show you wouldn’t google something about the show being cancelled and end up on this site and comment you just wouldn’t watch anymore!!!!

15. Kasper says:

:-(
    Even though there’s a lot of haters on here, I still loved the show and I’m sad to see it go. There’s less and less shows on the air I actually like these days, so it’s never good when another one bites the dust.

• ck says:

Very true, that show is still to this day better than 90% of what there is on TV today (especially broadcast network TV), so it will be definitely difficult to say goodbye to such a brilliant show.

• Brendan says:

Completely agree. All shows do have a shelf-life, and I suppose it’s good that it’s going to end before it ever becomes as bad as all the internet trolls say it is now, but I really thought (still think, really) that it had a ninth season in it. Either way, it’s been a great run, I’m grateful for every last episode we got.

16. Ltb3105 says:

If you ask me, House jumped the shark when he had to pick new doctors, re: reality series. And that was several yrs. ago. I predicted the end back then, surprised the show lasted longer than that.

17. MMM says:

Bye House. I´ll miss doctor Cuddy much more than I´ll miss you but it was good while it lasted. I hope Lisa Edelstein can be back for the last episodes.

18. Ltb3105 says:

Hey, Hugh Laurie should be thanking his lucky stars! He didn’t think the show would last past the 1st season, and look….he’s a megastar!

• AreKay says:

Hugh Laurie is a megastar because his work on “House” has shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is a brilliant actor!

19. Benjamin says:

I’m sad to see House go, but I’m happy it is now. Season 8 has been mostly great, and fixed a show that, at times, was in trouble in Season 7. That said, Hugh Laurie’s contract was up this year. It was almost certain House would end now, if the ratings kept it alive till now. This expiration date has been clearly visible for 4 years.

20. nikki says:

Good news. It should’ve ended two years ago. I hope Lisa Edelstein, Jennifer Morrison and Sela Ward will return

21. Linda says:

love House, and have watched it through the good times (“Three Stories”) and bad (anything with “Huddy”). I will miss the show and the good doctor’s cranky genius…but I also think it may be a good time for retirement. That being said I will sincerely miss Hugh Laurie on my tv on a regular basis!

22. RIP says:

If they weren’t so arrogant handling the last season’s finale fiasco, they could have easily pulled off another season. Many viewers left because of their obnoxious attitude rather than casting changes. Great lesson to future TPTB.

• luminous says:

You have no idea why “many viewers left.”

• RIP says:

And you are, apparently, illuminated? I didn’t say “all of them”. I have access to the relevant media poll data due to my job. Lots of people indeed left because of the finale.

• Donovan says:

akshuly my uncle works @ fawks media and he says otherwaise!!11!one!

Judging from the responses on this site, the reasons vary widely. Personally, I started losing interest when it became more about the characters than the cases. Season 7’s “Huddy” IMO was when the show officially jumped the shark, though many seem to feel it did long before that.

Shame to see it go, really. This was one of the few shows I actually watched. Here’s hoping for a great finale! :)

• Saint Alicia says:

Preach. Though it was sad Cuddy left, I was willing House into cancellation based on DS/GY’s behavior ALONE.
      Guess spitting in viewers’ wasn’t such a good idea…

• AnnClau says:

“Many viewers left” for many different reasons that we can’t know about. I stopped watching because of the time changes

• Ava L says:

I stopped watching last season because of huddy. This is such sad news. I was enjoying the show again this season.
        Mostly i will miss watching Hugh Laurie every week. He is the reason the show is successful, despite the opinions of other “fans” who often post here.

• --- says:

I’ve been abused and battered by my ex husband. For people like me that finale, and especially its justification by the producers, was another punch in the face. And that’s what I will remember of House MD.

• Lia says:

I left then too. The car crash, the way they handled the fallout, etc. is why I stopped watching. Didn’t help that they lost Cuddy. Show hasn’t been the same without her, but the crash and everything after is what killed it for me.

23. Sg.Grant says:

And now, here is Jules with an incoherent rant that is written in poor English about how Fox doesn’t support their older shows.

24. Txhlfan says:

I am sad to see the show end in May. However it is no surprise. I just can’t understand why this announcement wasn’t made in September instead of now. It was public knowledge that Hugh Laurie and David Shores contracts were up at the end of Season 8 and that they didn’t really want to continue. House MD is still the best show in TV and one of the few shows I like. I wish Hugh Laurie happeness in the future. I have watched his shows long before House came along.

25. Sally says:

I hope for a satisfying ending to the series. Great run.

26. Emgee says:

Rest in peace, House. You will be missed.

• Mike Lexis says:

You are a complete idiot who should stick to cartoon watching – House was brilliant – I watched all 8 seasons and enjoyed them all – House is gone – Long live House…….The eponymous star was brilliant and insured good earnings for the cast – 8 seasons proves my case…..

27. Emily says:

Series finales define a show, and having it be planned gives me hope. Here’s to a Six Feet Under-caliber farewell.

28. mara says:

Huh? I’m sorry? I thought House ended two years ago, with the episode ‘Help Me.’

29. Roxie says:

I have been a pretty big House fan. Have watched past seasons of it on DVD multiple times, and when the show was in it’s stride, I think it was one of the best shows on TV. I think Season 6 was the last really great season of House. Although there are parts of Season 7 that I liked a lot, and I am a fan of the Huddy relationship, I hated how the season ended and I think the show has been going downhill since then. I do not think that House can regain it’s formal glory and because of that, I think the producers have made the right decision and it is time for the show to end. Like other people here, I really hope that Lisa Edelstein will come back for the finale. The show has not been the same without her. I would also like it if Olivia Wilde and Jennifer Morrison came back, but I am not sure if they will, where as I heard one of the House producers say in an interview that he would be interested in having Edelstein come back for the finale if this is the show’s last season and would try and make it happen. I am crossing my fingers for that.

30. Paula says:

I’m going to miss House!
    I’d love to see Jennifer Morrison in the finale.

31. adambramble says:

sad news :(

32. TC says:

As with all Fox shows.. we should start talking about the House Movie right?

33. mara says:

I really want Lisa Edelstein to return. But honestly I want CAMERON to return most of all.

• afk says:

I want Cameron back too…i think the show became unwatchable at the time she left. Bring her back with a better GoodBye!

34. Daniel Fugate says:

I hope Cuddy is back for the last one!

35. kel says:

LISA VUELVE

36. eli says:

Best news of the month!
    Finally, they’re putting out this show out of its misery.
    That presse release makes me laugh honestly. So full of BS!

37. I have been an avid fan since the very beginning. When it began, my son, a medical student, told me that a lot of his professors watched the show and said it was the most accurate one, medically, they had ever seen and recommended their students to watch! I think that was a great thumbs up! I will be sad to see it go and will always wonder where Greg House will go… he couldn’t be fiction, just couldn’t be!

• Elke says:

Not as accurate as early ER, but the first two or three seasons were pretty decent. And after that you could still play guess-the-diagnosis based on the writing instead of the patient, which was also fun!

38. xelus says:

Bring back Lisa Edelstein!!!!!
    We want CUDDY!

39. CAM says:

I’d love to see Cameron come back to help Chase. Thumbs up to the cast and writers of the show. House is a true original.

40. norhu says:

I want Lisa Edelstein back!!!!!!

41. Christie says:

I want Lisa Cuddy back to the season finale.

42. John says:

We all saw this coming.. The show signed his death sentence when TPTB let Lisa Edelstein go.

43. AT says:

I think it sounds like a smart choice. They’ve made the decision way in advance so they have time to write a proper ending. I haven’t been watching anymore, but I’ll happily tune in to the last episode. Personally, I would love to see the whole original cast and team together. I especially hope Cameron returns.

44. moventura says:

Totally need Cutner back before the finale. I mean, we never did see his body, was it really him?

45. ! says:

Bring back Lisa Edelstein for a proper closure.

46. maya says:

Stopped watching the show during the sixth season, will make sure to see the finale though. I really hope to see Cuddy and Thirteen again, but mostly would love to see Cameron come back!

47. Babybop says:

This show is very dear to my heart, and I will miss it very much! But, it is right for them to cancel it.

48. Sam says:

While the show is clearly not what it used to be, but I always remained a loyal fan. I know the writing has withered (although this past episode was fantastic) but no one can deny that the HOUSE writers created a fantastic show with a character that was like no other in tv history. He was compelling and complex, and they managed to keep his personality just as witty and complicated for eight years. It is really a true testament to the greatness and complexity of this character when a cliffhanger becomes when he says, “I was wrong. I’m sorry.”
    I can’t say I was shocked by this, but I was hoping for one more half-season. HOUSE will always have a special place in my heart and in the history of American television.

49. Jane says:

I would love for Cuddy and Cameron to return. It would be awesome to get the old gang back together one last time.
    As for the show itself, I’m heartbroken. It’s very sad House was cancelled. It was such a great such and it will be remembered as an icon.

50. Don J says:

As far as I know Lisa Edelstein isn’t doing anything right now.
    Dear David Shore,
    I don’t care what you, FOX, or Universal have to do, you need to write Cuddy into the series finale. Pay her whatever she wants.